Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 04:56 AM   #121  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday - The Greeks enter Troy using the Trojan Horse (1184 BC)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Turns out that we had 2+ inches of rain on Monday. That's a lot for around here. Perhaps I should celebrate that we didn't have more water in our basement than we did.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. Evening snack was cut up fruit left over from multiple events over the weekend. Blueberries were reasonably priced even at Whole Foods so we indulged aplenty.

maryann - Kudos for “I end a meal with no regrets.” Like that attitude.

Penny. - Anything to avoid commute traffic!!! When we return the DGD to her home on Wednesdays, we can dawdle and fall right into the homebound commuters. They drive with a vengeance, LOL.

Readers -
Quote:
day 26 Recognize Thinking Mistakes

Common Thinking Errors
There are nine common thinking mistakes people make when dieting. . . .

Thinking Mistake #3: Overly Positive Fortune Telling
You predict the future too positively without considering other possible outcomes.
Examples:
  • I'll be able to eat just a little bit of this food I crave, feel satisfied, and stop.
  • It's okay if I just estimate the amount of food I"m supposed to have instead of measuring it. I'll still lose weight.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 195.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:19 AM   #122  
Green Tomatoes

I invented a new tool to use for a couple of weeks. A sheet with two columns -- "Things that didn't work so well" and "Things that might work better." Basically, it's a worksheet for producing Responses. I'm more likely to read it if I'm also writing it. So far, it helped me reduce the portion size at lunch and commit to drinking more water.

The same sheet has check boxes for my post here -- every day for the next two weeks.

In two weeks, I'm going to a conference and I want to protect myself by having established good habits.

Exercise: +20, 780/1100 minutes for April
Old 04-24-2019, 09:32 AM   #123  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

My appetite seems to finally be back to full force. Credit yesterday at work for ignoring the free muffins at work. Nothing like recent illness to motivate me to avoid anything that would make me feel bad!
Today I’m going to go investigate small “hookup to the sink” type dishwashers. I don’t really use my old one because it doesn’t work well, but I get really tired of washing everything by hand. It’s plugged into the floor in a wierd way, and I have a tiny kitchen so I think an apt size one would serve me well. Then I have to train the kids to load it consistently
Anything to make kitchen chores easier and me less grumpy!

Bill- it has indeed been rainy. It certainly gets the grass growing!
Maryann-good for you for checking in twice and staying on track.
Penny- have a great hike!
Beth-good reminder about water. I keep thinking about making some lemon water to get myself motivated to drink more.

Last edited by curlyjax; 04-24-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:23 AM   #124  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Yesterday was a model day for me. I was hungry when I started all meals. I sat while I ate. I cleaned up the kitchen with gum in my mouth.

I am watchful of BBE’s quote: overly positive thinking. I have a pattern of having a great day and then sabotaging the next one. I had one great day so I will immediately have five weeks of great days. Nope. One day at a time.

Today I have planned my meals. I have packed water for work. I will come home for lunch to give me a little rest. Overly tired makes me hungry.

Curleyjax: I agree with dishwasher. Grew up without one and I love mine.

Gardenerjoy: little habits are the key to my success.

Last edited by maryann; 04-24-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:43 AM   #125  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is back up.

The hike was rather tough for both of us with a 2800' elevation over three miles. It rained a little and we hiked up into a cloud and cold wind. My legs are very sore.

Maryann, credit for journaling your way through the day.

Joy, good idea to write down your assessments. It moves the motivation into action.

Bill, credit for the on plan food day. Blueberries are on the menu at my house too this week.

Curly, credit for not giving in to the free muffins.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:33 AM   #126  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Part of my day was on-track and part of it off. I'm also on a round of steroids to try and address the inflammation in my neck. There's definitely something pinched in there--the doctor is hoping that attacking the inflammation will give pain relief and release the pinching. I'm in less pain but I can tell it's still pinched--all pins and needles.

G'night all.

--Beth
Old 04-25-2019, 05:01 AM   #127  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - National DNA Day (double helix - 1953, Human Genome Project - 2003)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Wonderous day with the (3.5 yo) DGD. CREDIT moi for exhausting myself while she climbed everything in sight non-stop. We took her to a small pond where she threw the crusts of her peanut butter and jelly sandwich to two Mallard Ducks. I'm not a fan of feeding wild ducks, but it was 100% whole wheat bread and the ducks were not only human acclimated, but fully vested in humans giving them food. She scooted up a steep hill all by herself; neither DW nor I was inclined to follow, then slid down on her bum. We're pleased to return her home with dirty blue jeans. I suspect that her normal daycare place doesn't bring her near dirt. She learned how to flip herself over a low bar from a 7.5 yo girl; then did it about 20 times with DW assisting on one side and me assisting on the other. She fell asleep in the car driving her home. Her mom has to deal with a kid who's had a thirty minute nap - making her evening long.

Eating was good, CREDIT moi, because I wasn't near recreational food for the whole day. Lunch was my favorite peanut butter, pecan, and banana sandwich on whole wheat bread ends. It's not only good, but I feel like a hero for consuming the bread ends that would otherwise head to the compost bin.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Neat that writing stuff helps to do it.

maryann - Gum is a great diversion.

curlyjax - Super Kudos for ignoring the free muffins at work. Good luck designing that dishwasher. We run ours every day: one or two days on rinse, then a full wash cycle.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Hope you find the source of that pain in the neck.

Penny. - "2800' elevation over three miles" is a steep hike. Kudos for completing and still being able to walk.

Readers -
Quote:

Common Thinking Errors

Thinking Mistake #4: Emotional Reasoning
You think your ideas must be true even through objective evidence says not.
Examples:
  • Since I feel like a failure for having strayed, I really must be a failure.
  • I feel like I just have to have something sweet right now.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 196.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:18 AM   #128  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Be careful what you pray for. I wanted a break from middle school and am now attending a grand jury summons. Good grief. I have been future tripping. How will I fit it into my life ect ... but there is nothing for me to do.

Food was OP. I am so grateful I did not overeat because of anxiety. I read my advantage cards and focused on “I’d rather be thinner.” Weight shows a more comfortable barrier of four pounds between it and the 70s. Looking at my records, it has taken me six months to gain five pounds. I know it will take me six months to lose the same five pounds. 1 day at a time.

Penny: I am so looking forward to hiking even though I know it will take me a long time to build some strength.
Beth: I get so frustrated with physical pain that stops me from moving.
BBE: I will send you all my crusts.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:43 AM   #129  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

Happy to report the dogs are fully using the dog door independently. I just heard them take themselves outside for the morning potty break and then come back in. Living the dream, I am!

Beth, so sorry about the pinched nerve. Steroids wreak havoc on the appetite. I read somwhere that meds can increase hunger but they don't make us put the food in our mouth. I don't find the sentiment helpful. lol

Bill, we are big fans of the bread ends here! It's the best part. Kudos for no recreational foods. When people ask about my weightloss now, I tell them I stopped recreationally eating.

Maryann, ugh the jury duty is the worst. Last time I went it was a domestic violence guy and they were cutting women from the jury pool admitting a DV history. Not looking for men abusers...nope. It's telling how bias and rigged the legal process can be. Sorry for the rant.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:31 PM   #130  
Green Tomatoes

I had a really light eating day, yesterday. I wasn't ever particularly hungry, which tells me that's probably about the way I want to eat every day. I'm pushing away resentment that it's much less food that I want to eat and embracing, instead, that I feel better when I never get really full.

Exercise: +30, 810/1100 minutes for April
Old 04-26-2019, 12:57 AM   #131  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

Today was hard but I give myself credit for sticking to my plan. I even went so far as to unwrap something not on plan--and then I didn't eat it! I resealed it and filled my water bottle instead. I'm really proud of myself because I've been exercising my giving-in muscle too much lately, so stopping when I was that far into it is a huge win.

Today was also a productive day. I did my knee exercises while talking with my son. He was relieved that the breathing he was hearing were exercise noises and not annoyed sighs (I wasn't annoyed with him at all). His girlfriend has an at-list price offer on her condo (less than a week after listing it) so they're getting all ramped up to move. They've already found a place closer to her new job. He is now going to be amping up his search for a new job in that area. I planted lilies that a friend gave me--I have no idea what kind of lilies they are. Since we moved here in the fall, I also have no idea what is coming up around the house--there are plants coming up and I don't have a clue what they are. I started making the back pillows for my day bed. They're coming out well but I hate the hand sewing part. I found nightstands for the guest room. DD is moving up next weekend and so I get to decorate that room the way I want it. These are just what I want so I am hoping to go pick them up tomorrow (assuming no one buys them before me). I also made arrangements to go buy a large piece of sheet metal (28"x68") to put to display my magnet collection. My neck is improving--I feel a bit weird from the steroids, but apparently they're helping. So, very successful day.

One successful day means I can have another one tomorrow.

G'night all!

--Beth
Old 04-26-2019, 07:00 AM   #132  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - Arbor Day (since 1872)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walk, CREDIT moi, took in the library and my barber. My librarian laughed at me for not pronouncing Gronkowski with as much emphasis on the 'Gronk' as she thought proper. Kinda fun to be such a regular that I can insist that the librarian make Gronkowski change his mind and play another year for the New England Patriots. She reminded me that when his head hits the ground at full velocity, it has travelled six and a half feet. She wonders if he'll ever have a normal brain. My barber laughed at me for staying away so long between haircuts. Then wrote down the dates of her summer vacation so that I could plan my next haircut around them.

Eating was OKish, CREDIT moi. OK for an extended appetizers and sit down dinner banquet event with folks from work. It's invigorating to me to be reminded of how much work I did back in those days - and what projects we accomplished. Talked with a friend, ten years younger, who has had two heart valves repaired by slipping into the heart from the side without having to breaking open the breastplate for open heart surgery. Didn't even replace the valves, just repaired them. The guy is back to running. I was impressed. For one thing, he's one of the healthiest guys I know: lean, active, always jogging, eating well. You never know.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Beating resentment is a huge accomplishment - Kudos.

maryann - Congrats for having a realistic expectation that It'll take time to lose five pounds. Hope your jury duty goes well.

Beth (bethturnaround) - That's a lot of stuff to do in one day (and in one paragraph). Love the notion that you'll be surprised by what grows up in your new yard.

Penny. - Yay for dogs smart enough to open the doggie door by themselves. Seems to me that your youngest could have volunteered to go through and back to teach them how.

Readers -
Quote:

Common Thinking Errors

Thinking Mistake #5: Mind Reading
You're sure of what others are thinking, even in the absence of compelling data.
Examples:
  • People will think I'm strange if I don't drink alcohol at the party.
  • She'll think I'm rude if I don't try the brownies she baked.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 196.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:29 AM   #133  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Bad eating day yesterday. I found out my agency will be switching health insurances, to one that is worse and has less docs in its cachement area. It really worries me because DD is probably going to have more surgery within the year and needs to retain her current docs. we'll find out more about the plan details in mid june. I got overwhelmed thinking about all this, and thinking about will i have to switch jobs because of it etc. I went to the grocery store and went right for the chocolate.
I feel overwhelmed again, I really miss DH. Plus DD will be home soon from college, and I love her but she is exhausting. And I have to go up next weekend and move a lot of her stuff out, because the powers that be decided everyone needs to be out of the dorms on a thursday, even if they have final exams that day. I guess they have forgotten that parents have jobs!
Well, I'm just feeling sorry for myself. Thanks for being here.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:42 AM   #134  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I'm back from a very successful backpacking trip. We all did well and the weather was good, a little warm, but good. Yesterday was quite a challenge as there was lots of elevation gain and many high steps in places and some climbing over rock slides. Last year I did the same loop in the opposite direction and it was certainly easier, but this was good training. As I neared the top I thought, "Oooh boy, I don't want to come up this trail again", but after about half an hour I would. Hiking Suzanne was surprised that it was much tougher than the GC backpack she went on with me last time. It was and also she has been focusing on her golf game, not hiking. The purpose of the trip was so the third gal would have a little more backpacking experience to see if she felt ready to do the High Sierra Trail with me this summer. She now feels confident and is looking forward to the trip. We got along well and she loves hiking and the outdoors as much as I do. Food was what I took and I came back about the same weight as I left, but I'll see how it looks tomorrow. I ate so much salty food that I'm probably retaining some water. I feel so fortunate that I don't really even get sore. I've got a walk with Otis this morning (who gave me the cold shoulder for an hour or so last evening) and then a longer walk with a friend this morning.

Bill Suzanne's DGD is about the same age as yours, so it is fun to hear what each of them is doing.
Beth You did have a productive day. I'm so glad your neck is feeling better and you are having success with your food plan.
GardernerJoy I agree about feeling better when eating a bit less. Darned if food just weren't so tempting.
Penny That sounds like quite a hike. The Flatiron hike I do is about the same and it includes some climbing. Where did you go? You haven't been hiking much, have you? Sounds like you started with a tough one.
Maryann It does take time to building up stamina, but I'm sure your skiing is hard work too.
Curlyjax I'm glad you're feeling better. Good luck with finding a dishwasher that will work for you.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:43 AM   #135  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is back down a little. I rode my bike to the exercise class because the kids took the car to the movies. It was a nice quick ride that I should probably do every time.

Beth, I'm glad the pinched nerve pain seems to be calming down.

Curly, that's a bummer about your health insurance, and your daughter needing more surgery. Too much stress for you this year.

Bill, I'm pretty sure at least a couple kids had to try squeezing through the dog door. Kudos for the productive day.

Karen, yay for a great backpacking trip! I'm glad your friend enjoyed it and will be doing the longer one with you. We hiked in the gorge on the Washington side on the Dog Mountain trail. My first hike in a long while.

Joy, I feel the unfairness of how little I survive on too. No room for snacks. Boo!
Closed Thread