Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:07 AM   #76  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I'm sure it's been at least a few days since I've posted. My son and friend both left on Friday morning. It was really fun to have my son here. I had him when I was 17, so he will be 48 in June. It is very weird to me to look at a grown man, with grey in his beard and know he is my little boy. It was a little more difficult to have my friend because she is so fragile right now. My husband's friend arrives this afternoon for 4 days and then no company until 4/30 - 5/7. Yesterday I headed out for a short backpacking trip. As it turned out it was very short. Two of the people didn't feel up to going as far as we planned. I ended up doing a short loop after we chose a camping spot and by the time I got back to the spot I decided just to hike out to my car and come home rather than set up my tent. I got a 14 mile hike in with my backpack on. It was a beautiful day, although a little warm, but with little elevation gain to speak of it was fine. I'm working on doing some training in conditions that are not ideal because I know I will have to do that this summer. Today will be get some groceries in the house, bathe the dog and get my book read for book club which is tomorrow. Food wasn't great last week with company here, so I'm going to get the plan made for the day and get back on track. Weight is up from my low, so I'll work on getting back down there.

Bill I can't imagine the turkeys right in town. But then again we have javelina and coyotes at times.
Penny It's so fun to have a trip to look forward to. It will be fun to hear all about yours too.
GardenerJoy I am trying to pay more attention to when I am hungry, but it does seem odd that there are the "hungry days" and the days when I'm not hungry at all. I'm hoping for a not very hungry day today because I don't have any planned exercise.
Maryann I hope you're up skiing and having a fabulous time. I'm thinking you have the whole week off.
Beth It's your game weekend, but I hope we hear from you tomorrow.

Well time to get moving. I've been awake a couple of hours and it's time for breakfast.
karenrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:54 AM   #77  

S/C/G: +61/+7/0

Good morning!

Yesterday was a little off plan and weight is holding.

This week's mealplan came with a bonus dessert recipe: walnut maple carrot cake, which I made last night. I was the hero who left out the raisins, but also the villian (to one) who included the walnuts. I went a bit off plan to have some and it was delicious!

Bill, credit for saving the 25 calories. Ha! Around here the pancakes are ruined if the applesauce supply gets neglected.

Karen, credit for the day hike with the overnight bag. Do you just have the one son? I am forgetting if you have mentioned another. I'm glad you had a nice visit.
Penny. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:40 AM   #78  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday - RMS Titanic sinks (1912, North Atlantic Ocean)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - It was like a cool day in the summer. Just enough to encourage us that winter may someday end. Today is the running of the Boston Marathon which will happen even if the rain outside continues. It's Patriot's Day in New England that we proudly celebrate even though the rest of the country doesn't. (It's not about our football team, but the American Revolution.)

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi. Evening snack was, one more time, a California Navel Orange that was just shy of a grapefruit in size. I'm eating a large serving of blueberries for breakfast each morning. Life is good.

Karen (karenrn) - Had to google your javelina having forgotten that it's another name for the Peccary. Yep, I'd rather face my defiant Tom Turkey than one of those. Kudos for a 14 mile hike with backpack.

Penny. - Thanks for the reminder that a family of kids will always have one that loves the food and one that hates it. My two fought about chocolate vs. vanilla ice cream their entire lives at home. They're now good friends as adults.

Readers -
Quote:
day 25 Identify Sabotaging Thoughts

common diet-related sabotaging thoughts
To help you identify your sabotaging thoughts, here are examples of common thoughts among the dieters I've counseled: . . .
It's a special occasion.
I'm treating myself.
I can start dieting again tomorrow.
I'll never lose weight anyway.
No one will know.
I'll end up eating it eventually.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 193.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:56 AM   #79  
Green Tomatoes

I woke up hungry! Yay! And, the scale was down. Not a coincidence. I felt like I ate extraordinarily light yesterday, so there's some disappointment along with all the celebration. If I want those results every day, I'm going to want to eat lighter every day. I'm pleased that the motivation to wake up hungry is what got me there, so I'm going to stick with that for a while.

I just found out that an event I'm going to tonight will have cake. My first thought was "yay, cake!" I wonder if that will always be my first thought.

My second thoughts were about how eating cake in the evening will impact my sleep and about how eating cake in the evening will make it impossible to wake up hungry and about how eating cake triggers my desire to eat other less-than-good-for-me things and about how eating cake sabotages my plan to have lower numbers on the scale.

So, I'm here to pledge that I will not eat any cake today.

Exercise: +20, 455/1100 minutes for April
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:41 AM   #80  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

I've decided I need to scale back my portions a bit to see if I can get the scale moving again. It's really hard to get the calories added up for the mealplan food, and I'm probably overdoing the portion sizes.

The pet door install is finally happening today so I should probably clean off the messy dining room table and sweep up the dog hair.

Bill, I'm feeling that spring weather energy too, pulling us out of our winter funks. Enjoy Patriot's Day.

Joy, credit for talking yourself out of cake, and congrats on the weightloss this morning.

Last edited by Penny.; 04-15-2019 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:58 PM   #81  

S/C/G: 173/ 165/ under 154

Height: 5'6

Welcome spring break. This weekend was a little rough as I took my mom to emergency for what turned out to be kidney stones. But she is fine now thank goodness. Today’s chore was battle ATT demons. We are locked into a contract for direct tv which we deeply regret. Oh well. I prayed for patience and received a nice young tech willing to help. DS and I then entered the modern era of Netflix.

Yesterday I recommitted to a serious WW attempt and have two solid days. Credit lots of fruits and veggies.

Wave to all

Last edited by maryann; 04-15-2019 at 05:58 PM.
maryann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:34 AM   #82  

Good evening coaches,

Just a quick check in. Today was spent finishing the book I needed to complete before book club this evening. The author was there and she was very interesting. The book was about an American woman who was a spy with the French resistance during the second World War. Tomorrow I'm taking my husband's friend hiking to Tom's Thumb in the morning. I know him pretty well, but it feels a little awkward with just the two of us going. Oh well, at least he'll go. Food was pretty good today. I kept my portions reasonable at book club and the rest of the day was fine. More tomorrow.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:29 AM   #83  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - A solar eclipse marks the return of Odysseus after the Trojan War (1178 BC)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - The Boston Marathon was a grueling 26 mile 385 yard run from Hopkinton, Mass to Boston. Grueling, that is, for those who ran it. Alas, I was in my class discussing the privacy issues of using Facebook. As predicted, there was a winner is each category; names will be in the Boston Globe this morning with my breakfast. I always feel inadequate for a day after the Boston Marathon - as if I should be sufficiently in shape to do that. Oh, Well.

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi. Dinner was a store bought frozen eggplant lasagna. Good enough, especially since I've seen how much work DW puts into making a lasagna from scratch (she doesn't believe in no-boil noodles). One more California Navel Orange for evening snack. I now dread that my next thing is to go downstairs where the morning papers will have pictures of the burning Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. I have such fond memories of my visits there - always thought it was just immortal.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yes - that's exactly what my pea brain would think, "yay, cake!" as if I'd never had cake before. Kudos for taking the pledge.

maryann - Glad that your mom is now doing fine. So far I've resisted Netflix because my local library has good DVD selections.

Karen (karenrn) - Waving toward Tom's Thumb where you are on this morning's hike. Controlling portions at a book club is a challenge.

Penny. - I'm excited about that pet door going through your sliding glass door. Hope you publish a picture.

Readers -
Quote:

what are you thinking?
If you're concerned about your ability to learn this skill, read the sabotaging thoughts and responses below.

Sabotaging Thought: I don't know if I can figure out what I'm thinking.
Helpful Response: It's not that crucial to figure it out right now. It's a skill I'll get better at over time. Meanwhile, I can reread relevant parts of the book to jog my memory whenever I need to.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:54 AM   #84  
Green Tomatoes

My recent practice with evening meetings is to eat an early supper and have a small salad when I get home. Not too bad, but there’s no way that I’ll wake up hungry if I eat anything after 9:00pm.

So, last night, I experimented with an early supper and a cup of herbal tea when I got home. I woke up hungry…and with a headache. But, the headache went away as soon as I got up, so I think I’ll consider that a success.

Exercise: +20, 455/1100 minutes for April

BillBlueEyes: I was completely distracted for a couple of hours yesterday watching news coverage of Notre Dame, playing many different performances of the song "The Last Time I Saw Paris" on YouTube, and finding my best photo of Notre Dame to share on social media.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9491412218_bdd1d4536f_o.jpg (72.6 KB, 5 views)
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:52 AM   #85  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

My plan to reduce portions was followed through and I was definitely feeling hungry. Today I need to up my water intake.

I noticed my knees are hurting after both Thursday and last night's exercise class, which always makes me question if I am using poor positioning or if it's just a matter of pushing too hard beyond my fitness level.

Maryann, sorry about your mom's medical ordeal. I'm glad she is feeling better, and kudos to you for being her support and sticking to your WW goals.

Karen, have a fun hike!

Bill, the lasagna sounds good! The pet door install comes with an entire new piece of glass with the hole ready for the door. That takes care of the gas insulation between glass panels. Holefully this google image of the door links correctly. My dogs are standing in front of the new pet door barking to come in. They still need to figure it out.

Joy, credit for a successfull operation hunger! Hopefully the headache will not be repeated.

Last edited by Penny.; 04-16-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:07 PM   #86  

Penny: I too am reducing portions -even with the zero point foods. I woke up still full. I will go to church and then eat breakfast which is way out of my norm. I have a hunch the edamame is the culprit of super full.
BBE: Without you I would have no news. I’ll have to look up Notre Dame.
Karen: I ski with a good male friend from college and I have wondered before if our spouses ever think about it. He and I are like brother and sister. Still boundaries need to be maintained.

I declare yesterday a success with healthy food and exercise. I think scale pushed up a little from salt. I will not let the short term interfere with long term patterns however.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:54 AM   #87  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - Geoffrey Chaucer's characters begin their pilgrimage to Canterbury (1387)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Alas, the deeper we look into the human cell in my class, the more complex it becomes. Collagen, for example, is ubiquitous. It has enzymes that help it form, enzymes that block those that help it form, and enzymes that block those who block. It's full scale war in there. And we just keep on moving our arms using our tendons and standing using our bones without being grateful in the least.

Walked, CREDIT moi, to an evening lecture about the Mexican Revolution of 1910. All scholars agree that it started in 1910, but there are three different interpretations about when it ended. It was a long hard struggle. Mexican history, of course, includes the loss of the Texas area to the United States. Painfully. So good to hear about a part of history about which I'm abundantly ignorant.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Neat picture of Notre Dame. One striking note was that the ceiling had contained "a forest of trees." The world not only has to donate funds, but lumber. Kudos for continuing your quest to wake up hungry.

maryann - Edamame is seldom mentioned as a culprit. So glad that you're skiing while we're here looking for daffodils to arise.

Penny. - Yep, hurting knees need to be honored. You're only dealt one pair of those for life. Thanks for getting me past the concern that contractors with glass knives were cutting away at your sliding glass door.

Readers -
Quote:

what are you thinking?
If you're concerned about your ability to learn this skill, read the sabotaging thoughts and responses below.

Sabotaging Thought: I'm not thinking anything when I stray from my diet. It just happens.
Helpful Response: Eating is not automatic. I just try to ignore my thoughts so I can seat. The next time I'm tempted to stray, I'm going to look for some sabotaging thought that gives me permission, such as, it's okay to eat this because ...

Old 04-17-2019, 10:44 AM   #88  

Good morning!

Yesterday veered off plan in the evening when I finished my son's leftover veggie hash on his plate. I was really hungry and unable to stop myself. That hasn't happened in a long time!

...and weight is finally down a smidge.

Maryann, credit for the on plan day, and for not letting the scale sabotage your motivation.

Bill, credit for using your legs as a mode of transportation to the lecture.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:58 AM   #89  

Good Morning,

Yesterday was journaled but the scale does not budge. I continue to watch DS eat. He does not eat much during the day and is running twice a days. The bottom line is I eat too often. Spent way too much time watching Netflix. It is a new toy. Today I have a list of “to dos” which will keep me busy. I also ordered new house shoes so housework doesn’t aggravate plantars fasciitis. A plan for the day is yoga, bike and smaller portions of everything.

BBE: I wish I could walk to all my activities. In another life I will live in Boston and not own a car.
Penny: I got into DS leftovers as well. I put gum in my kitchen drawer to avoid this. Now I just have to use it.

Last edited by maryann; 04-17-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:51 PM   #90  

Good morning coaches,

I've been doing great on the exercise, big surprise, but the food is less than stellar. It's all good healthy food, but the portions are larger than what is needed to lose weight. I'm doing pretty well maintaining, but it's maintaining up a few pounds than what I had gotten down too. I was going to blame it on having company, but that's just an excuse. This morning's hike was with Hiking Suzanne and Kathy. The three of us are hiking the Grand Canyon beginning Monday thru Thursday. It was nice that they could meet one another before the hike.

Maryann It sounds like you have a nice plan for the day. I think you deserve some downtime watching Netflix or whatever else you want to do. You work hard.
Penny I have had those hungry days too, ate a little more and still the scale went down. I think sometimes the body is just hungry.
Bill Your class sounds just fascinating! The human body is incredible to be sure.
GardenerJoy Your photo of the Notre Dame cathedral was just wonderful. So sad to see that spire collapse. I'm glad it was not any worse and that they'll be rebuilding soon with lots of donations.

Waving to Beth, Onebyone and Curlyjax.