Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 11:00 AM   #46  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

I'm enjoying my post-work weekend lounging in my muumuu, sipping coffee. I got finished with work early enough to start the weekly meal prep and now only "crab" cakes, tempeh sloppy joes, and a beet hummus have to be made.

The meal batching has gotten easier and I am absolutely loving this! I no longer have to think about what we're having and everything is so good!

Maryann, kudos for the three days and deciding to measure.

Bill, it does feel good to purge all the stuff living with us rent free and providing nothing in return. Ha!

Beth, your poor stepDD! That's so hard. I'm glad you and her dad were there for her.

Curly, two days!!?? How exciting! I'm glad you had a nice time with family and friends for your mom's service.

Karen, not surprised your activity would slow down while sick. My Iran trip is not until October. My friend has yet to give me the go ahead to put down my deposit and I see one of the dates is already sold out. Come on! She got me excited and committed.

Joy, I still have my Beck card on a digital note on the phone and a pop up reminder to read it. I don't look at it so much but the convenience of it sure helps when struggling.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:28 AM   #47  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone,

I'm on day 1 of my sane 3 days. It's been mostly successful--one piece of bubble gum I had without thinking. Products as planned. Not quite as much water as planned. Good workout at PT.

As far as PT goes--I've been discharged. I have to continue keeping my knee strong but I'm done with going in for PT. Until/unless it gets bad again, I'm just on my own! And I'm not having any pain at all.

Weight was up and really disappointing this morning--I couldn't even bring myself to let the scale settle. I'm going to face the music at the end of my 3 days of sanity.

--Beth
Old 04-09-2019, 05:07 AM   #48  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday - Marian Anderson sings before 75,000 at the Lincoln Memorial (1939)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - In my course in security, a discussion about the data collected by Facebook left me stunned. I thought I knew this, but each time I confront it I'm aghast anew. I read the list of YouTube videos that I've watched that Facebook has kept in its cloud. Ouch! I don't really watch YouTube videos; I use them to play background music when I'm doing something on the computer. The embarrassing part is that I play the same ones over and over. Partially because YouTube offers me the same ones over and over. YouTube and I are in a rut. If a three-letter agency is investigates me, they'll conclude that I'm too boring to be a terrorist.

Food was OK. I had some of the cheese and crackers during a long evening event with a table of food in front of us all. Interesting local news is that a Red-bellied Woodpecker has taken up residence in the old American Elm in front of our house. I can hear it whenever I go out. That's a new one for us.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Ouch for the season of allergies.

Karen (karenrn) - Have to laugh that you don't remember getting exercise for the day - except for that five mile walk.

curlyjax - Glad that you made it through your mom's memorial. I agree with the others - a passport is what you need for your trip to Scotland. I did use my driver's license when I rented a car to drive from London to Wales several decades ago. Don't know if I'm up to driving on the left side of the road now.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Congrats for being discharged from your PT. Neat idea to have a sane three days.

Penny. - I googled muumuu only to discover that they come in every color and pattern known. Is there a male version?

Readers -
Quote:
day 25 Identify Sabotaging Thoughts

Think About It

You'll undoubtedly answer in the negative, followed by your actual thought: I was thinking I really want to eat it!

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 192.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:34 AM   #49  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I felt better yesterday going into work, and I chatted with 2 other folks who had lost their moms, which was helpful.
I'm kicking myself for having made a flight that goes into the early hours, we arrive in London at about 1:30 am and then Scotland (on another plane) at about 4 am. I am not an easy sleeper so maybe i'll take a little dramamine to get a few hours. i'm still a little freaked out being the only adult- you all are married and can understand that, I don't get any sympathy from my single friends- to think things thru, it was always good to have DH's perspective. I will feel a lot calmer once i actually am at the airport and thru security!
Thanks for letting me ramble on, these days my thoughts don't have much to do with Beck but i will get back to it eventually. At least Scotland isn't like France, I won't be tempted with amazing bread and pastries everywhere!

Joy- thanks for reassurance about modern amenities. I hope your allergies are getting better, its much harder to enjoy the spring with them.
Penny-glad batch cooking is making things easier. Beet hummus sounds fabulous!
Karen- sorry you still have a cold, it’s such a relief when its finally overwith. You are my role mode with exercise!
Beth- that is great that your knee is no longer hurting! You have clearly been doing your PT homework
Maryann- great idea on the “eat sanely for 3 days”. It’s a very doable amount of time.
Bill-creepy reminder that we have traded in our privacy for using the internet. Hope the woodpecker keeps to the tree and away from your house!

Last edited by curlyjax; 04-09-2019 at 07:36 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:09 AM   #50  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Now in my second three day set I have journaled the Hack WW program. Good news is I have eaten more fruits and veggies. Bad news is I have eaten them standing because they are “free”. Go figure my silly mind. Goal today is to sit while eating.

DH and I got into a huge fight. The only credit I can give myself is I just took a shower and went to bed thereby halving the time spent in our last fight in December. Marriage is not easy.

Wave to all.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:14 AM   #51  
Green Tomatoes

Credit for reading my Advantages and Responses again this morning.

Exercise: +25, 295/1100 minutes for April

BillBlueEyes: I've recently discovered YouTube for background music -- many fewer commercial interruptions compared to streaming services. And, yeah, my choices are really boring. It's kind of the whole point of background music for getting work done.

curlyjax: All three of my flights to Europe included an early morning arrival. I don't sleep on planes, so I just rest the best I can and pull an all-nighter -- it's a little harder at this age than when I was in college, but survivable. The first day in Europe seems to go well if I stick to easy things to get oriented -- a bus tour or just walking around. I eat meals on local time, but earlier than the locals (they think lunch time is at 1pm, so we beat the rush at noon) and go to bed early that night and sleep twelve hours. With the adrenaline of travel, that's enough to keep me going on local time. I fret a lot about lack of sleep and jet lag, but it hasn't ruined a trip, yet!

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 04-09-2019 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:25 AM   #52  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan, with the exercise class, and weight is holding. It's been a week so hoping for another drop soon.

Beth, excellent that your knee feels good, and credit for day one of the three days of sane eating!

Bill, uh oh, FB knows I went on a Justin Armistead youtube bender the other day. He and his uncle Frank get fast food and eat in the car. The things that make me laugh. Lol

Curly, I'm so excited for your trip! I'm glad the work day helped your grieving.

Joy, kudos for reading your response cards. I hope it helps you have a great day.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:14 PM   #53  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up Towing the line--but it's a bit wiggly

Coaches, Hi!

You have all been on my mind even though I have not been posting. I am in a time crunch that snuck up on me. I am getting ready for the 2 farmers' markets that I do. They begin mid-May. I have the guild pottery sale the first weekend of May which is a horrible stressful guild event for us all. I've been teaching and had a workshop sprung on me. What passed for an inquiry by someone in January is now on their calendar for the first weekend of May: note time conflict with guild pottery show. Oh well. And I just found out that our potters' group was accepted into the big Toronto Art Fair in mid-July! Yikes. I felt ill after I felt happy about it! I am thrilled to be there. 155,000 people visited last year. By far the biggest summer show I have ever done. In addition to this stuff my printing collective is busy getting ready for Print Day in May (May 4th-conflicting with the workshop and the potters' sale!) plus we are invited to be part of the Coldwater Steampunk Festival.

It is shaping up to be a real humdinger of a season.

So. With so many and varied public appearances coming up I am motivated to improve my appearance and my health and stamina.
I managed to stay about 90% OP this past week. A couple of wiggles of offplan food mostly in social situations.

After my 2 week foodplan I was down to 280.7 from 294. Last Sunday, which was my first week cobbling a foodplan together (and week #3 on a foodplan *CREDIT MOI) I weighed in at 281.
280.7 the Sunday before.
Up 0.3. Is that really a gain?
Yes...but really I'd say my body maintained last week.
This morning the scale said 282, 283 and then 284. Hello? The tape measure isn't moving. I think it's better for me mentally and emotionally right now not to hop on the scale daily. My focus is better spent on creating a workable foodplan than spent fretting over why the scale isn't moving as fast or in the direction I want it to. (My hunch is I am eating too much cheese.)

DH had another videogame show on Sunday. I went with him to help out. It was at the one before, about a month ago, that I felt so bad physically I started following my foodplan. One month later and hauling the same amount of stuff it was better and easier with 10lbs gone. But there is lots and lots of room for improvement. This week I add two more things to my life : a beginners ukulele class at the seniors center Wednesdays from 1:15 to 2:30. and Women's Yoga from 9:30 to 10:45am on Thursday. Both these classes will force me to relax and not get overwhelmed with *just working all the time*.

DH has been getting lots of exercise, lots of walking, by playing Pokemon Go on his phone. He has encouraged me to install the app and join him on his quests to catch Pokemon. So far I haven't joined in but I will try it. I don't like walking for the sake of walking. Maybe this will be enough incentive to add that to my day but I can't imagine how I will manage what is on my plate already. Oh well. This too shall pass...

curlyjax My condolences on the loss of your mom. So sorry. Excited though to hear of your Scotland trip coming up soon! What a treat.

Billblueeyes Your comment to Penny about the muumuu for men triggered a memory of an episode of The Simpsons where Homer decides to gain weight to become eligible for disability and to work from home. He needed new clothes because of his weight gain and opted for a muumuu. Link here (plus another entry to the youtube feed on your permanent record... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VHlwcxUUnE Also I seem to recall reading that Marlon Brando wore a muumuu but can't find any reference to that. I may have read it in some biography sometime...
Old 04-10-2019, 12:39 AM   #54  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone!

Today is day 2 of my 3 day sane eating goal. Maryann, thanks for the idea!

Exercise was PT. Food was 5 products. I wish I’d gone for a walk, though. Water is about as planned.

Tomorrow is day 3. I can do 3 days.

—Beth
Old 04-10-2019, 04:42 AM   #55  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday - Scribner's publishes "The Great Gatsby" by F Scott Fitzgerald (1925)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Continue to be fascinated by my class on the human cell. Turns out that creating the cell walls is easy - just toss some lipids into water and they form cell walls, just like soap bubbles. Now getting the organelles inside and making it into a living cell is much harder. Gotta give nature credit for pulling it off in less than four billion years. I do like that I'm a multicellular being.

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi. There were fruits, cheeses, and crackers after an evening lecture; I called it dinner so came out about even. I now know that bonobos are far less aggressive than chimpanzees. I've always tried to ignore bonobos because it seemed unnecessary to me to have a different species. But they live on the left bank of the Congo River and chimps live on the right bank and they haven't crossed since a draught about a million years ago. So it's easy to tell them apart; just look at your GPS location and you know which is in the trees above your head.

onebyone - LOL at "wiggly line." Congrats for having so much business and attention. Ouch for having so much business and attention all at once. Now the cloud knows that I've watched Homer Simpson wearing a muumuu. Hope that doesn't deter the Nigerian Prince from sending me money.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Always Kudos for "reading my Advantages and Responses."

maryann - Yep, our "silly mind" does send us down strange paths.

curlyjax - You're absolutely right - it's reinforcing to have a companion to share even the easy decisions. Keep the faith; you're marching forward.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Welcome to Day 3 of your sane eating goal.

Penny. - I won't tell anyone that you've watched Justin Armistead.

Readers -
Quote:
day 25 Identify Sabotaging Thoughts

Think About It

Write each thought you identify in your diet notebook. For now, don't worry about what to do about these thoughts. You'll learn how to respond to them in a couple of days.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 192.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:15 AM   #56  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

The day has arrived! I have almost 5 hours to finish packing, do a few errands and do fiddly things like xeroxing our passports. A friend is taking me to the bus that goes to the airport so I can leave my car home, which is a big help. DD is coming home for 2 days while I'm gone so there will be another car in the driveway at times which is good. I am leaving her instructions like "make sure you turn the heat down when you leave!!" since she tends to crank it way up. I feel a little guilty she can't reach me quickly if there is a problem, we're not going to be using our phones,but i will leave numbers of neighbors etc.
I am weighing in at a solid 176, yikes! We'll see what it is when I come back.
Gardenerjoy- thanks for the jetlag advice! I'm sure my son will fare better than me, but we'll make it thru.
Penny- too funny on Justin Armistead! I shudder to think what I have youtubed
Maryann-marriage is hard. Good for you for minimizing the fight time.
Onebyone- you are doing some really cool stuff!! 10 pounds does make a big difference.
Beth- good job on the continued 3 days.
Bill-thanks for the kind words. I do like to travel, so this is a good first step for doing it without DH.

Last edited by curlyjax; 04-10-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:04 AM   #57  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food has not been well planned, but I'm holding my own on the scale. I hiked with a couple of friends yesterday and then finished getting ready for company. Now I have ds at one end of the house and my friend in the other bedroom. They are both still asleep which is a good thing. It was quite warm here the past couple of days, but is windy and cooler today. I'm taking ds shopping for some clothes this morning and then who knows what. Neither of them care what we do as they both are exhausted from life and a break is fine with them.

Curlyjax I hope you have a fabulous trip.
Bill Your class sounds amazing.
Beth I'm so glad your knee is better and you are doing terrific on your 3 days.
Onebyone I get anxious just reading about all your to dos. I'm glad most of it is things you love doing.
GardenerJoy I agree with you I usually do well on trips when I arrive at my destination. The worst part of jet lag for me is when I get home. I remember coming home from Thailand after 2 weeks and going back to work. They all thought I should be rested after a 2 week vacation, I was about dying from jet lag.
Penny How close are you to goal now? You've done so well.
Maryann Marriage is hard, but of course it is good too. I remember my Mom always telling me to choose my battles. I choose a few doozies. Good job limiting the time of the fight by going to bed.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:20 AM   #58  
Green Tomatoes

I seem to be developing some tolerance for maybe, sometimes, experiencing hunger. I want to proceed gently, here, so I don't scare away this impulse. To start, I'd really like to wake up hungry. I feel healthier, happier, and more energetic when I wake up hungry. So, I'm going to try tracking that for a few days or weeks and see if I can make some progress.

Exercise: +25, 295/1100 minutes for April
Old 04-10-2019, 11:37 AM   #59  

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight went up a smidge.

Maryann, I missed the note I wanted to include for you yesteray. Kudos for starting a second three days of sane eating and I'm sorry you had a fight with dh. I hope things get resolved and reset quickly.

Onebyone, for a second I wondered if I know you irl. I have a friend who does pottery/shows and her dh plays pokemon go, but he is currently catching pokemon in Japan.

Bill, credit for not having second dinner after cheese and crackers.

Curly, have a great time!!!

Beth, credit for the on plan day with products and exercise.

Karen, kudos for keeping the weight managed with so much activity. I'm about 8 pounds from my goal.

Joy, that sounds like a sensible goal. I could probably use a little more hunger myself.

Last edited by Penny.; 04-10-2019 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:08 PM   #60  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Meeting with DH at a Starbucks. Neutral territory so I won’t yell. I have a real anger problem, I know. But just because I yell doesn’t me I have don’t have valid points. I’m pretty worn down by this and by some demons in my classes. In two days I’ll have a spring break. Maybe things will look brighter. Lots of veggies and fruits continue.

Wave.

Last edited by maryann; 04-11-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Closed Thread