Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 11:07 AM   #106  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I'm already into a busy day but I wanted to make sure I posted. I have a plan to get lettuce in the house and to eat a salad for lunch. That makes all the difference for me.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:18 AM   #107  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Gardenerjoy, so am I but I will post too. Hurt my wrist somehow yesterday so I have it strapped up today. Probably caused by finishing off an article too fast and too late yesterday evening.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:50 PM   #108  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Not much on this end - an expensive day at the vets, but got home early and got to cleaning and prepping dinner. Tonight was homemade black bean soup with cilantro lime brown rice, pico, guac and baked sweet potato matchsticks with lime zest. I am getting good at making guac now - after a lifetime of never eating it. Lots of leftovers - perfect! Plus, 100% on plan meal. I DID have a lemon cupcake at work, though, as our intern baked last night and was proud to bring the cupcakes in. Turns out, it was SUPERB. I enjoyed it.

Back to the flooring project now! I'm moving furniture back into the LR and prepping the dining room to get rolling there.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:00 PM   #109  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Hello Coaches,

It must be the theme of the day. It has been an extremely busy day. I am ready for bed. Food on plan and exercise was unplanned again but I will take it. I do realize how easy it is to get in a habit of forgetting about planning when I have so much going on. Something to ponder.

Maryann thinking of you during this tough time. Kudos for accepting 'this is the only plan I have right now'.

Onebyone continue holding you in my thoughts and prayers.

Bill - Have an amazing trip. How long will you be in Costa Rica?

Joy - your Chicken and Salad idea is still yummy. I thought I would get tired of it, but I love it.

Silverbirch, remember to take time for you in all this business.

Nationalparker - I was thinking of buying a hula hoop and walking all around our area....joking. I am trying to have fun.

Ann - Your posts are very encouraging. It is funny how learning something new brings excitement.

Curlyjaxx - I hope your trip is everything you wanted and more.

Debbie - How are you. I hope all is well.

Ruth - I heard through the grapevine you got married. congratulations.

Karen - Wondering how you are.

Sorry if I missed anyone. Waving to all and have a good night.

Ann
Old 07-15-2017, 05:06 AM   #110  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday - Rembrandt van Rijn born (1606, Leiden, Netherlands)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Dinner was rotisserie chicken, again, LOL. And dinner tonight will also be rotisserie chicken. CREDIT moi for getting six meals out of one bird as well as for leaving no meat in the fridge for the ten days that we're off to Costa Rica. Dinner also included fresh green beans from our community veggie garden.

Major accomplishment for getting ready to travel was to make a copy of our passports and all the cards each of us is carrying. Every travel book says to do this; I always do; I've never needed it. Maybe someday I'll meet someone who used theirs. Exercise was running up and down the stairs trying to get it all together. Packing isn't my favorite thing. I have to choose books to bring and the stack I've chosen is much too big. Seems a burden to predict what I'll want to read in the future. But the travel guides and bird guides will be in the stack for certain. We leave home before dawn in the morning, so this is my last post until we return. Have a joyous end of July, you guys.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Magic words always, "I have a plan ..."

silverbirch – Ouch for a wrist hurt in the line of duty. Wrists, like thumbs, as so underappreciated until hurt.

maryann - Sending supportive thoughts for putting it all back together. Hopefully you can let that "NEW (to us) STEINWAY BABY GRAND" soothe.

nationalparker – Kudos for "100% on plan meal." I never tire of hearing the ingredients: cilantro, brown rice, pico, guac, sweet potato, lime zest.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Kudos for exercise - even though unplanned. Yep, seems like everyone is super busy of late.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2 What Really Makes You Eat

which muscle are you strengthening?

Throughout the pages of The Beck Diet Solution, you'll find that I often refer to two "muscles": your resistance muscle and your giving-in muscle. I'm actually talking about your tendency to think and act in certain ways.

Every time you resist eating something you shouldn't, you're strengthening your tendency to resist in the future. However, each time you give in and eat something you shouldn't, you're strengthening your tendency to give in.

So whenever you feel the urge to eat something you're not supposed to, think about which muscle you really want to strengthen. If you want to lose weight and keep it off permanently, you need to take every opportunity to strengthen your resistance muscle and to weaken your giving-in muscle.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 29.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:38 AM   #111  
newlifestyle

Good Morning Coaches.

I thought I would post now so that I am not rushed later. DS wants to see Planet of the Apes so will do that this afternoon and my plan is to eat before we go so that popcorn is of no interest to me. We had been buying the movie passes from Costco but they come with popcorn and pop so we decided that it was better to just purchase tickets at the theatre.
I am going for a walk and have all meals planned for today.

Bill- Have a wonderful time. There was a school in the area on the Europe trip during March break 2017 where one of the students had all his stuff taken and with help from the Canadian Embassy and his photocopied passport/ cards was able to get an emergency passport issued so he could return home with the school group.

Waving hello to everyone.
Have a wonderful day.
Ann

Last edited by Newlifestyle; 07-15-2017 at 06:48 AM.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:23 AM   #112  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Safe and joyful travels, Bill! I, too, make the copies and we carry each other's and leave one for the petsitter of our passports in case there's an emergency, but thankfully have not needed them either. I also take the non-US toll free number for our main credit card since Rick Steves suggests that. Spoke with my brother and he's having some lung issues but not able to tell if it's because he pushed himself too much on a hot day mowing the yard, if he's now caught the viral illness his wife has had for the past week-plus, or if it's from the chemo. He's waiting until Tuesday when he goes back for chemo to bring it up to them. I am worried since they've treated a lung issue already - a side effect of the chemo, but he's promised me if he feels it worsening, he'll go in. He's having a tough time seeing how much more diminished his body is in seven months.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:45 AM   #113  
Green Tomatoes

Today's variation on the salad with chicken will be salad with seared tuna from a local cajun restaurant. I'll bring half of the tuna home as a treat for DH.

silverbirch: hope your wrist heals quickly!

nationalparker: your supper sounds delicious! I want to eat at your house.

Newlifestyle: The chicken with salad is definitely helping me make better choices -- that's what I order at restaurants and it's what I pick up at salad bars instead of higher caloric take-out. I'm surprised how filling it is because I've always believed that I wouldn't be satisfied with a meal that doesn't have a serving of starch.

BillBlueEyes: We've yet to need our carefully made emergency paperwork. DH gets some satisfaction from making it, though, to ward away last-minute trip panic. Maybe it makes us all that much more conscious of where our passports and cards are, so that we don't lose them and have to discover whether the emergency paperwork really does any good.
Bon voyage!
Old 07-16-2017, 09:51 AM   #114  
newlifestyle

Good Morning Coaches.

I was texting my son hinting that I could get a walk in with DGD. He was laughing at me. They have plans this morning so I will get her around 4. Yeah me.
I had a pretty good day yesterday. Although I did eat a bag of chips. This is the first time I haven't felt guilt over it. The rest of my food for the day was awesome.

Nationalparker - thoughts and prayers for you, bother, and family.
I too want to have meals at your house.

Joy - Funny that you mention about lack of starch in salad. I too thought it couldn't be filling. You made salad interesting so I gave it a try. Tuna sounds like it would be good in salad.

Hello to everyone and enjoy your day.

Ann

Last edited by Newlifestyle; 07-16-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:58 AM   #115  
Green Tomatoes

I forgot the cajun restaurant served a cornbread muffin with that salad. I ate the whole thing. This morning, I'm feeling bloated and the scale number is up. Next time, I'll eat half of the muffin. I think that will be enough of a treat without causing this problem. Since I eat at this restaurant on the 3rd Saturday of the month, I made a note on my Google calendar! I'll have the reminder just when I need it.

Newlifestyle: Good for you for arranging time (and exercise) with DGD.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:52 PM   #116  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

My cousin, her husband and I had a great camping trip to Sequoia. It's a 600 mile drive from my house to her house, so that takes awhile. Then the drive from her house to Lodgepole is close to 2 hours. We camped and did some hiking each day. Cousin did better than when they were here and we went to Sedona, so that was a good thing. They always say just to go ahead the hike, so I do and then wait for them at the top, or whatever. We make a plan. I did well with eating and I think I maintained my weight. I'll know for sure when I get on the scale tomorrow morning. I just brought our scale over to the condo today, so didn't have it this morning.

Yesterday I left their house at 4:30 a.m., got home 8 1/2 hours later and then we moved over to the condo where we are staying the next 8 weeks or so while our kitchen is remodeled. It will entail taking down some walls to have an open concept so that's why it will take so long. We did the last minute packing and moving this morning and I've also done grocery shopping for at least the first part of the week. I told dh I want to get back to our regular routine of eating at home and not use this as an excuse to do take out or whatever. The cupboards in the condo are kind of a disorganized mess and I'll work on getting a little better organization going during the week. It is our friends condo and they come down from MN and stay about 6 weeks a year and it is rented to other people for another couple of months. I'm sure my friend won't mind me emptying the cupboards and doing some organization.

I'll get back to personals tomorrow, but Onebyone I do want to let you know I've been thinking of you this week as I read about your mother the other day. Yes, grief is a weird thing and different for each of us. I know when my Mom died the most difficult emotion was that there was some relief and I felt so guilty for that one.

One more thing . . . dh took Otis to work with him all last week from 6:30 until noon and then brought him home and he took a nap in his crate. I was so glad to know he didn't have to stay home alone each day. Dh said he was very good and his co-workers just loved him and hope he'll bring him more often. We'll see how he does in the condo. If he barks when I go to the gym, he may be going to work while I do that.

Okay, more tomorrow.

Last edited by karenrn; 07-16-2017 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:45 PM   #117  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Evening, Coaches.

Back within Internet range. The wedding weekend gave DH and I much needed time to process and heal from the horrible fight we had. Credit for being adults and doing the next indicated right thing until we both felt less bruised. It was a beautiful weekend in a far off meadow. No GPS or phone service and guests were driven in by golf cart. Very pretty. There were many rumors of a bridezilla loose. But in the end, my SIL was grateful we all came and that was the most important thing. On the mend emotionally, I did not stop myself from eating things I usually avoid. Every morning, however, I skipped the full breakfast and had KarenRN's suggestion of plain Chobani and PB2 with Stevia. I tried to get some walking in. I will now travel from the venue to a family reunion in South Lake Tahoe. I will hike tonite after it has cooled off. I plan lots of outdoor activity.

I will weigh myself tomorrow morning now that I have an available scale.

Last edited by maryann; 07-16-2017 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:00 AM   #118  
Green Tomatoes

Busy day, today, culminating in an event that I'm anxious about. I wrote my food plan for today (ala Beck) and I'm determined to follow it.

karenrn: I'm glad that you're camping trip went great!

maryann: Lots of outdoor activity sounds like a good remedy.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:44 AM   #119  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Phone check in. Weigh in two pounds above ticker. Not bad for vacation and elevation. Healthy breakfast. Our condos on the now green ski slope so I figure there will be lots of walking. That's good.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:11 AM   #120  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food on plan. I had over 20,000 steps yesterday with just a couple of dog walks and more final moving at our house. I got on the scale here before we walked this morning and it looks like I maintained over vacation. I was pretty careful and that was my goal although I did have Mexican the night before I came home and pizza the first night here. I guess the exercise helped.

We had a monsoon storm last night and for several hours there was lots of thunder and lightening. Otis was freaked out so we got him out of his crate and he slept the rest of the night with us. He has been so good about the crate and slept there all night the night before even though dh had him sleeping in the bed the whole time I was gone. I don't know if it's true for all dogs or all Cockers, but ours have hated change. They don't even like things out of place in the house, so this change is taking a toll on him. I'm sure he'll adjust.

Otis and I had a good walk this morning and saw all the water in the green belt. That's where it's supposed to go when we have the rains. I'm going to Crossfit this morning and hopefully Otis will be good in his crate. Our friend who lives two doors down doesn't work on Mondays, so she is going to come listen to be sure he isn't barking. If he is she will come in and watch him.

Maryann Enjoy your time in the beautiful outdoors. Glad you and dh had the wedding and beautiful setting to help get things back on track. I just hate it when dh and I are not getting along. It doesn't happen often, but I'm afraid with the stress of the remodel and all I am really going to have to work at good communication. I'm glad you're liking the yogurt PB2 thing. I just love it.

GardenerJoy Good job on the food plan. We do salad with chicken frequently at our house. I also used to feel I needed a starch, but we have many dinners now without it. I did some grocery shopping yesterday so that we will stay on track. It will take us a bit to get adjusted to this new normal, but I figure keeping the food on track will help.

Ann It's so nice that you have your DGD nearby to help you with exercise.

Silverbirch I hope your wrist is doing better.

Nationalparker How are the floors and how are the two of you? That sounds like such a big job. I would imagine you are both a bit sore from all of it.

Onebyone How did the rest of your seminar go? How are you doing?
I can only go back a little to see other posts and I don't see one from you, so I know it has been a few days. Thinking of you and hope you're hanging in there.

I'm kind of spacing out what I have to do today, because it isn't all that much and I don't want to leave Otis except when I go to the gym. I guess I'll get a load of laundry done and start the dishwasher. This afternoon I will start with the organization of the cupboards. I talked to my friend who owns the condo and she is happy for me to sort through things. Of course I won't be getting rid of anything, just grouping like items in the cupboards so it's easier to know where things are.

Have a great start to the week everybody!
Closed Thread