Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 01:02 PM   #181  

S/C/G: 331.2/304.8/180

Height: 5'7"

BillBlueEyes, thank you for the kind welcome! I discovered the Beck Diet Solution on Amazon a few years ago, but the book has been sitting on my shelf until a few weeks ago. I gave it a try when I first got the book, but only got about 10 days in to it. I think the reason I stopped was because I was having so much trouble with bingeing at the time. Now that I've got that under control, I'm having a lot more success so far. I found this forum on 3FC after scrolling through all the different forums and thought I'd give the Beck Diet Solution another try after reading some of the posts here. I'm back from my vacation now, and ready to start my planned exercise tomorrow. I'm just too drained from the drive home to start today, although I did stay under my calories yesterday and am on track today too.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:38 PM   #182  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I followed my plan yesterday. My main motivation was so that I could type that here today. I'm well on my way to following my plan today, too. Go, me.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:38 AM   #183  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Good morning Coaches

Yesterday was a good day. Eating was not on plan due to life happening. Made wise choices with food flying by the seat of my pants. I did not make it to the pool but did walk for 60 minutes. It was hot but I stay hydrated so no headache. I find I have been really busy this summer and my plans were to slow down and relax more. Something to think about.

Maryann- Wow, what a week. It will be so nice to see DS today.

Joy- way to go being plan yesterday. Funny about your motivation, I too am motivated to stay on plan or make wise food choices because I am seeing the dietician on Tuesday.

Nationalparker - How is the baby? Did you enjoy the birthday dinner?

Sencha- Welcome back, what exercise do you have planned for today?

Hello to everyone and I hope your day is wonderful.

Take Care
Ann

Last edited by Newlifestyle; 07-30-2017 at 07:39 AM.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:38 AM   #184  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday - Emily Bronte born (1818, Wuthering Heights)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Exercise was an extra day with the DGD, CREDIT moi. We'd missed her in our sojourn to Costa Rica; so we took her for the day allowing her parents to do some work. A 22-month old active kid isn't much help at Home Depot, LOL. We took her out in the stroller for the walk to make her fall asleep for a nap. It was a total failure. DW and I enjoyed the tour of our neighborhood and she enjoyed calling to every dog, person, and flower in sight. Once we got home, DW convinced her to go visit 'Big White Bear' in her crib allowing the nap to happen.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, which felt good after too much snacks yesterday. After dinner snack was a pair of baked-from-frozen snickerdoodles that were purchased to support fundraising at DGD's day care over a year ago. DW says we gotta eat them because even frozen doesn't last forever. Methinks I'll try to donate money next time instead of accepting whatever is offered.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yep, Kudos for taking credit with "Go, me."

maryann - Thanks for sending me to Wiki to learn about Kent Island, Maryland - never knew it was there. Ouch for the ungracious hospitality our East Coast is offering to a California visitor. But Kudos for enjoying what you ate here - hoping that included Bluefin crabs from Chesapeake Bay - a favorite of ours.

nationalparker – Kudos for thrice made roux - that's a dedicated cook. Love that "birdsong is my morning music."

Ann (Newlifestyle) - LOL that you had the patience to try the stroller nap process for 90 minutes. Cheers for "enjoyable but busy."

Sencha - Kudos for being on track and for getting ready to start your exercise plan. Hope your vacation went well.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2 What Really Makes You Eat

Eating Begins with a Trigger

Finally, there are social triggers. Examples include people who urge you to eat or situations in which you want to be able to eat like everyone else.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 29.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:22 AM   #185  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Back to it

Coaches

I've been weighing myself the last month and the scale is creeping up. My scale is bonkers though. It's a weight watchers brand thing and I step on it once and I get a number then the second time I step it's a different number, often lower, and the third time it echoes the second number MOST times, but not always. Even with this jiggle room, the numbers being shown are going higher. This morning the first number was 15 pounds above my lowest weight this year and 10 above some of the numbers from earlier this month. Credit for weighing.

DH is reminding me by his actions that I have a choice and that I want this weight loss. He has maintained a walking routine late at night for about a month now, maybe a bit more. He has cut his portion size way down and is being more choosey with what he eats, more mindful of his food. But he's not trying to be perfect, just steadily improve.

He's weeding out his clothes and buying slightly smaller ones. People have started to comment on his weight-loss.

*I* was there. That was happening to me a few months ago, pre-summer, pre-all the mom stuff which, of course, was as bad as it could get. But I don't want to go back to where I was. I have a workable plan. I am working it today. I am preparing for the week. My schedule is not exactly cleared, but streamlined. I have maybe three projects to tend to, submissions have been submitted, and I am about to craft a work schedule for myself. All these actions support my ability to successfully stay on plan. I welcome the relative calm.

Also, I have made arrangements with my studio landlord in regards to using the studio garbage bin for throwing away stuff. It's a warehouse sized garbage container and he had told me I was welcome to toss anything into it provided I hold off until the weekend before the scheduled pick up. If I fill it up too early he may have to get an extra pick-up which costs $. He also said if I wanted to pay for a bin's worth of stuff to be hauled away ($50) or even a half a bin he would be ok with that. I am going to be back to this as well, just a bit at a time, if even 15min a day.

More outside stuff should not be coming to me. I've received everything I am going to get so whatever changes I make I can now consider to be permanent changes. If stuff comes in, I did that. It's all good.

Better go. This note is long enough already.

Bye Hello to the new Becksters and welcome back Billblueyes.

Last edited by onebyone; 07-30-2017 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-30-2017, 11:48 AM   #186  

Newlifestyle, the exercise I have planned today is to do a Leslie Sansone walk. I'll do one mile, since that's about what I can handle right now. For a while I was doing two miles, one in the morning and one in the evening, but my foot started to hurt so I rested for a few days and decided to stick with a mile for now. My goal is to do a 5k this December, so I want to build up to 3 mile walks.

onebyone, I have a weight watchers scale too. Mine is the portable model with the handle. I haven't had any issues with it so far. How long have you had yours?

Credit today for eating breakfast even though I wanted to skip it, and for drinking plenty of water instead of diet pop. I will have a diet drink this evening after dinner though.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:33 PM   #187  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Yesterday at WW I had gained the bit I lost the week before. It's okay since I'm within my goal, but I'm glad to be checking in there weekly to know I will always need to be a bit careful. I certainly had some extras last week, I guess a couple more than I will be able to do on a regular basis. I pretty much always have a little extra on Saturday after weigh in and last night was no exception. Dh and I went out to our local tavern for 1/2 price burger night (and a couple of beers). Last night I chose the cole slaw as the side and it was really good. It was a spicy one that was very lightly dressed.

Yesterday I went to the mall and had a very successful trip: Two new bras on a great sale after being fit at Nordstrom's, three new sleeveless tops at the end of summer sale for $75 total, and a new belt for dh. I was very happy with my purchases. The blouses are all sleeveless and my arms are not great, but getting better with strength training. At my age (almost 64), they will never be perfect, but it is too hot here to worry about always keeping them covered.

It's a cloudy day today and my main plan is just to do some meal planning and grocery shopping. Even though it looks cool outdoors, it is 84 heading to 97. That's pretty good for us at this time of year though.

Sencha You are right to start out with what works and increase gradually rather than over do it and hurt yourself. I can't imagine not wanting breakfast. I have a waffle made with Kodiak power cakes mix and protein powder every single day. I'm sure I'll tire of it one of these days, but it tastes like a treat.

Onebyone Good to hear from you. Sounds like you're getting things back to manageable.

Bill I bet you and DGD missed seeing each other. What a joy to have her close.

Ann Good job being mindful of food choices even though the plan couldn't be followed. That's what it's all about. Glad you prevented a headache by staying hydrated too.

GardenerJoy I'm glad checking in is helping you stay on plan. We miss you when you aren't here.

Maryann You have had a wild trip! I'm sure you will really enjoy seeing your son and getting home. I hope you have some time for rest and relaxation once you're there.

Nationalparker What a lot of work for a gumbo you didn't end up liking. Well at least now you know you don't like that sausage. I don't like smokey flavored things either and I like almost everything. I'm doing some meal planning today and I now that I'm focusing on it I realize one of the things that will make it a little easier in the condo is that it is cooler. Since it is so much smaller we feel we can keep it more comfortable. At home, even though our house isn't that big, the A/C bill gets so big in the summer that I don't want to cook things that heat up the house.

Waving to Anniemaxx. Glad you're on track.

Well, back to the menu planning and making the shopping list. Hopefully I can get that done before dh leaves for the gym.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:30 PM   #188  
Green Tomatoes

I got two better days in a row, working on a third today. I haven't written a plan though. Okay. I penciled one in -- it was easy since half of my eating is already done for the day!
Old 07-30-2017, 06:40 PM   #189  
anniemaxx

S/C/G: 286/ticker/199.9

Height: 5'3"

Wrote a lovely long post and lost it. Just want to check in before the end of the month. I had lost focus on posting for a couple of weeks and really have missed it. My goal was to post every day and somehow with work, traveling and being sick I got off track.
Even though I have been trying to put less emphasis on the numbers I feel slightly down in spirits because the scale has been sitting at the same number for about a week. I know I haven't gained because I am eating as planned. Truly looking forward to August and what it will bring for me. My July goal was 14lbs and I lost 11lb so overall a success. Fitting into some clothes I haven't seen in a while. My goal for August is to be down a dress size and walking around the block every day. My trip to Ohio left me feeling down about my ability to get around like I used to.
So ... that is all my negative out.
August is going to be great. I am looking forward to continuing our online friendship.
Anniemaxx
Old 07-30-2017, 11:05 PM   #190  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Reminders that July is wrapping up - Monday is my brother's birthday. I wish I lived close enough to pop in for a birthday visit this weekend, but we'll be there in two weeks. Would like to commit to an on plan August out "loud" here.

We've stripped the bedroom down to the concrete floor - bed is set up in the dining room and the whole house again is turned asunder. One cat is curious - the angry, cranky, irritable one ... the more loving one, who is super aggressive to the first, is a fearful skittish thing with this upheaval. Strange. Our pooch and that one cat always roll with the flow as things change here. It's funny to see their personalities. DH said most likely we won't get to the flooring until the weekend. I thought we'd get it done at night. But realize that we have plans Thursday and Friday nights, and I am the one who said let's look for a cheap movie on Tuesday night. I'm ambushing our project. I'm tired of hauling flooring boxes around, but I think we're saving several thousand dollars by doing it ourselves. Now's the time that we should be painting the house, with everything out. I told DH that we should hire the guy who painted our exterior last year if he could do it THIS WEEK. No delays Enough of the project - sorry!

Felt like I was on the go the whole day today. Up and made a hearty breakfast, and then we got rolling with clearing out the bedroom. Lunch and dinner were also at home, and on plan. Dinner was chicken jalapeno sausage sliced in medallions and served on a baked sweet potato with spicy black beans and diced sauteed onions/peppers and roasted carrots chopped up. With all the toppings, I split the sweet potato between us. Added some guac (healthy fats day). Very flavorful and while it used a lot of pans, it came together decently. Put tomorrow night's pasta sauce in the slow cooker after I cooked up the ground turkey and sausage, so that's in the fridge. I feel like I'm back in a groove now at least for a few days. I'm jinxing myself, I think. Rushed to get dinner on the table so we could go to see Baby Driver on a groupon that we needed to use up. A reward to sit down for two hours
Old 07-31-2017, 12:18 AM   #191  

Hey everyone.
I didn't do so well on my exercise like I had planned. Going on vacation left me with about 15 mosquito bites on each foot and ankle, and as soon as I put my shoes and socks on, I started itching like crazy and I realized that walking would make it even worse, so I'm going to have to wait a few days until these clear up. Meanwhile I'll be taking antihistamines and using bug bite remedies as these bites are some of the itchiest I've ever had! I'll do as much exercise without my shoes on as I can. Maybe some weight training or yoga...
Old 07-31-2017, 07:23 AM   #192  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday - Ranger 7 photographs moon (1964)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Dinner on the patio was grilled salmon. CREDIT moi for healthy meals. The yard is at its peak of green. It feels good to be grateful for the simple joy of sitting outside for a meal.

Standard Sunday walk with DW, CREDIT moi, snooping at every garden along the way. One house renovation project gets our detail evaluation because it's taken so long with so little progress. We seem to have no bound on our willingness to critique a slow moving project, LOL. The big news of the neighborhood is that another neighbor is getting an electric car. In addition, we spotted a Volvo electric being charged on a nearby street. The future is coming.

onebyone – Kudos for working out a plan to get rid of stuff. I just read yet another article that Americans own too much stuff and are only increasing it.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for "Okay. I penciled one in" - a great demo that planning doesn't have to be onerous.

nationalparker – Happy Birthday to your brother. Kudos for committing to an August plan.

Karen (karenrn) - Congrats on getting a bargain while out shopping. Kudos for choosing the cole slaw.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Ouch for "life happening" to upset the best made plans, but Kudos for "wise choices."

anniemaxx - This is indeed the key: "I know I haven't gained because I am eating as planned." When we follow our plan, the body will have to follow.

Sencha - Yep, Kudos for choosing water instead of diet pop. I've never heard of anyone getting addicted to water. Ouch for mosquito bites while out doing the right thing.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2 What Really Makes You Eat

Eating Begins with a Trigger

If you can identify the triggers that evoke sabotaging thoughts and lead you to eat in unhelpful ways, you can minimize your exposure to them or change your response to them. The Beck Diet Solution shows you how to deal with triggers by learning how to do the following:
  • Modify your eating environment.
  • Tolerate hunger and craving.
  • Think differently about food.
  • Deal with your emotions in a productive way.
  • Make eating healthfully a higher priority than pleasing other people or satisfying a momentary desire.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 29.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:31 AM   #193  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I'm posting early today partly because I want to paste in something I was reading on the internet this morning. It's from GretchenRubin.com. She talks about people who are moderators or those who are abstainers. Like she says most people want to be moderators, but it doesn't work for some of us. I tend to be a little more of an abstainer and I do feel that once I've decided something is off limits, it isn't a problem. Sometimes it isn't the food itself, but a rule I put in place for myself, such as: I don't eat in the car and I don't eat at the movies.

You’re a moderator if you…
– find that occasional indulgence heightens your pleasure–and strengthens your resolve
– get panicky at the thought of “never” getting or doing something
You’re an abstainer if you…
– have trouble stopping something once you’ve started
– aren’t tempted by things that you’ve decided are off-limits

Okay, so now on to the regular stuff.

Food on plan yesterday, but exercise was very limited. So far today I have taken Otis for his walk. It was kind of a short one because I'm really tired of it being in the upper 80's just after 5 a.m. I was looking at our monthly average temps and see that in September the average low is 77. Yahoo, I can't wait. I am already semi-planning my driving trip to Washington for next summer. Some friends have urged me to fly up now, but I committed to dh to stay home this year and I don't want to leave him and Otis especially in the condo. I think I am more comfortable in the condo than dh. He really loves to be in his own home. In a couple of hours I have the gym and I always look forward to that. Afterwards I'm going to get the vacuuming done while Otis is with dh.

Bill It sounds wonderful to eat outdoors in a lush green garden. And of the electric cars, I saw there are two charging stations within steps of where I parked at Kierland Mall yesterday.

Sencha Dang those mosquitos. Dh says there were lots of them out here the other evening. I think before you were on here I had many fire ant bites and they were horribly itchy for about 4 days. Yuck.

Nationalparker Last night's dinner sounds delicious. I am kind of excited about our dinners this week since I made an actual plan.

Anniemaxx Great weight loss for July! Yahoo! Keep up the good work.

GardenerJoy How's the upcoming week looking for you?
Old 07-31-2017, 10:34 AM   #194  
Green Tomatoes

Reflecting on karenrn's sharing about moderators and abstainers. I definitely want to be a moderator, but abstinence is much more effective. I do better with rules like "I never eat in the car" and "I never eat anything purchased from a gas station."

But, I get panicky at the thought of "never," for food items so I've put only one food completely off limits -- donuts. That's because I had cravings for donuts ten months after I had the last one (and it's more fun to say that I haven't had a donut since 2009 than it would be to eat one). I've boxed in some other treats. I only eat potato chips if they're house-made at a locally-owned establishment -- and, then, I limit myself to 6 (I have no idea why I chose that number, but it seems to be enough to feel like plenty without feeling out of control).

I had another "better" eating day yesterday and I've planned today's meals as much as possible. We're going to the nephew's house for supper. I'm bringing salad and they're providing the main course. So, I'll keep my serving sizes small. I'll use my energy to focus on the people, particularly the great-nephew who is rapidly approaching the age of 2.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:56 AM   #195  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Good morning Coaches

I slept in this morning. I was to go to the dietician today but they phoned to cancel. I have been eating on plan because I am meeting with the dietician, This may be my new weight loss plan….haha.
I have been reading articles about minimalist living. It looks like it would be a lot of work. I have got a box of stuff together that I don’t really use but sits in my kitchen such as a expensive cheese grater that has not even been taken out of the box. My clothes will be the hardest to part with because I always think I might need that sometime. I am a little disappointed because I had moved all the clutter out of my house and then since Christmas I have been bringing extra stuff in the house and not getting rid of stuff.
I will go for a walk this morning as it has cooled off a bit here. Plan for eating is made and as I got a lot of sleep I feel like I will follow it.

Bill – I was reading an article about electric cars and how cities need to get on board with charging stations so that people can use their electric cars when travelling longer distances. When DH is doing renovations it seems to take longer planning, but we always end up with it done right.

Onebyone- I find it frustrating when my husband decides he is going to eat properly and walk. I think he doesn’t have emotional baggage so he just does it. I am doing better realizing that he and I are not the same people and because that works for him doesn’t necessarily mean it will work for me. Oh and my scale is wacko too. It fives me a different number each time I step on it. Where I swim they have a scale that is consistent so I weigh there.

Joy - Yeah for penciling in plan and going on your 3rd day on plan. Do you have go to meals you eat. I have about 3 different go to breakfasts when I am stumped or don’t feel like planning, or I am flying by the seat of my pants.

Sencha- I really enjoy walking. When I started back I found it hard on my right ankle so I went for acupuncture. Now she wants me to come every 5 weeks to help on my healthy eating.

Karen- I too like staying at my own house. I am just more comfortable there. I am okay for a week to ten days away from home but after that I want to go home.

Anniemaxx- Congrats on your weight loss this month.

Nationalparker- DH and DS went to see Baby Driver yesterday and they enjoyed it. They thought it was very funny. Happy birthday to your brother.

Hello to everyone else and have a great day.

Take Care
Ann
Closed Thread