Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 07:52 AM   #166  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome Sencha

Sencha

And, in case you didn't get this earlier this month,

How did you discover the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you discover this forum on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 07-27-2017, 07:52 AM   #167  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - British De Havilland Comet is first jet flight (1949)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – 'Twas an outstanding trip to Costa Rica - my first trip to the neotropics. The Great Curassow wins the prize as the most outrageous bird - especially since she came the next morning to feed bananas to her two chicks just below the hotel deck so we could watch while drinking Costa Rica dark roast coffee.

Eating started out as overindulging in new foods. After a few days, I began to eat sane portions - sometimes by aggressively requesting that I not be given so much. We got home after 2 A.M. this morning, so I'll skip personals until my brain gets back also.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2 What Really Makes You Eat

Eating Begins with a Trigger

Sabotaging thoughts arise when you're confronted with a trigger, a situation that stimulates your thinking. You're probably most aware of environmental triggers, such as seeing or smelling food. You can also experience biological triggers, such as hunger, thirst, or cravings (intense urges to eat).

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 29.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 07-28-2017 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-27-2017, 09:11 AM   #168  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday was better than the day before. Good enough. We're having a desperately needed rainy day and I'm kind of looking forward to being cozy and getting things done at my desk.

nationalparker: glad your meeting went well!

BillBlueEyes: Welcome! So glad the birds put on a good show for you.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:37 PM   #169  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I'm feeling kind of blah. I'm tired of summer with several more months of this heat to go. My life is so routine right now that it feels almost too boring to post. I did have a couple of treats on Tuesday that weren't really planned. It bumped up the scale a pound, but it's back down now. Yesterday we chose more light fixtures and a new fan for the family room, so little by little we are getting down to fewer things to choose. I think we're down to about hardware and paint colors.

It was 85 degrees when we walked at about 5:15 this morning. Too warm, but at least the humidity was down to about 50% from 80%. I'm not too used to the humidity. Otis's biggest fear right now seems to be garbage trucks. He has gotten over his fear of most other things, so I imagine eventually he'll be okay with them too. I swear he can hear them a mile away.

GardenerJoy I've enjoyed a few rainy days here too.

Bill Welcome back! I'm glad you had a good trip.

Welcome Sencha!

Nationalparker I'm so glad to hear your work meeting went well. I know you've been stressing over that for quite some time.

Ann Walking in the cool sounds just delightful.

Waving to Silverbirch and Onebyone!

Okay, I'm going to make a list of some things I want to do. Otis is pretty used to the condo now and I can leave him in his crate and do some things to help my own mood. I will say thank goodness I have a hair appointment tomorrow. I was out of town and then she has been out of town and the result is I feel very frumpy.

I hope to report in tomorrow with a better mood and a little more enthusiasm.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:07 PM   #170  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Hello Coaches

Today was a great day. I went for a walk and then met friends. I asked them if they wanted to walk but they didn't so I walked again. Food was good most of the day. I had a few chips and dip, they were not planned but I won't have my planned snack tonight. I think I will start swimming again.

Bill- Welcome back. Nice to hear your trip was outstanding.

Karen - it is funny how some days are just blah days. Hugs to you.

Joy- Hoping your cozy day turned out well.

Nationalparker - I imagine it is so difficult dealing with your brother's cancer. When our loved ones are sick or hurting we feel helpless and that it is so unfair. I will pray for you and your family. Take care of you.

Hello to everyone

Take Care
Ann

Last edited by Newlifestyle; 07-27-2017 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:40 PM   #171  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Putting this workweek to bed ... thank goodness! Taking the day off tomorrow for mammogram and then a vet appt. this afternoon for another followup on our cat. It's hard to tell if she's still feeling ill or if she's just totally freaked out from the house being out of order with the flooring. DH's father's birthday is Saturday, but I'm not certain yet what our plans will be - heading there for the afternoon/evening or moving forward on stuff here. OP day today. Credit for that. Invited for cake at work, but turned it down. Credit. Stopped off at a market on the way home to buy more veggies for dinner tonight. Credit.

Being on plan for a few days feels good.

Welcome back, Bill! I hope you had a great time!

Karen - Is there anything near you that you'd be interested in volunteering for (inside) that would help pass the time in the summer so you don't get bored? Humane Society? Library?

Ann - Thank you for your kind words. That stinks that they didn't want to go for a walk with you. I've never turned down a walk unless I had plans. I need to find a walking friend for when my time opens up a bit more.

GardenerJoy - Hope today turned out better than yesterday for you. We, too, had a rainy day ... I kind of liked it since I was in the office all day long and didn't have to get out in it.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:32 AM   #172  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - Champlain discovers Lake Huron (1615)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walk, CREDIT moi, included stopping at the pharmacy where they were concerned that I hadn't responded to their computer's attempts to reach me for the last ten days. Duh! I wasn't home. The computer thought that I might be dead and wanted to unfill the prescription back into the big jars - it wasn't concerned enough to call an ambulance or something, LOL.

Dinner was our favorite grilled salmon. As much fun as vacation is, the old mind and body both enjoyed the comfort of familiarity. Snacking was under control, CREDIT moi, because I was busy unpacking. Clothes brought back from Costa Rica were still damp! DW did a huge amount of laundry which kept us up until 10pm just folding all the stuff. I now have to find a place for the new fast-drying t-shirts and socks to live.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Glad you got the rain that you needed. Gardeners in Costa Rica don't ever think about getting enough rain, LOL.

nationalparker – Super Kudos for turning down cake at work.

Karen (karenrn) - Sounds like you're making serious progress on your project. Choosing paint colors made me aware that there are a zillion choices - and that there are folks who take the minor variations seriously. When I agreed, "Sure, green is OK with me," I wasn't ready to discuss the multitude of choices of which green that meant.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Yay for taking that second walk even when your friends didn't want to go.

Readers -
Quote:

There are also mental triggers: thinking about food, reading a description of food, recalling something you enjoyed eating (or a situation in which you didn't eat and felt deprived), or imagining eating food in the future.

Old 07-28-2017, 10:30 AM   #173  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Feeling much more upbeat today. Seems weird that Friday would make a difference to a retired person, but I guess it's the fact that dh will be off work for the next 2 days.

Otis and I took our walk this morning at 5:15 and cut it a little shorter because the clouds looked threatening. It seemed to be enough for him and I have the gym at 9. Food was on plan yesterday and it will be on plan again today. I continue to attend my WW meetings on Saturday morning and I continue to weigh in even though I only have to do that once a month. It's just one more way of being accountable.

I made a list of all the movies I want to see and a list of the few items I need to shop for. I'm hoping to get dh to the movies on the weekend (wish me luck) and then I'll start seeing some next week.

Bill It is always nice to be home isn't it. Hard to believe the clothes were still damp. I think that humidity would be unbearable.

Nationalparker What is going on with your cat? I know you said earlier something about a big vet bill? I hope she is on the mend. I know I will sound horrible and it isn't how you feel, but I don't have much interest in volunteering except for the Preserve which I do from October thru May. I don't know if it has something to do with feeling like I gave my heart and soul when I was a nurse, or my commitment phobia. The other thing is that I don't want to leave Otis all that much while we're in the condo. With the movies and shopping I can work it into my schedule on the days I want to do it.

Ann Were you a swimmer before? Did you do lap swimming or water aerobics? I've taken a water aerobics class and enjoyed it, but I'm not a strong enough swimmer to really get exercise from it. Too bad your friends wouldn't walk with you. I love to get a double duty exercise and visit time with friends.

Waving to all others and now it's time to get ready to take Otis to dh's office and head to the gym.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:24 AM   #174  
Green Tomatoes

I overate yesterday. It’s hard to fight “I don’t care” when my energy is so low. It helps, a little, to remind myself that this is normal this time of year for me. My allergist says that we get mold spores blowing from the cornfields surrounding St. Louis – mold spores are very light so they can float for hundreds of miles. There’s not much I can do about that except find coping mechanisms, so that’s what I’ll do.

Today I wrote a generous plan and I’m challenging myself to follow it, precisely. We’ll see if that gets me back on a good path. I’m also going to implement some structures to get myself to read my Advantages and Responses every day.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:37 PM   #175  
Enjoying la bella vita

A good day so far ... I anticipate a busy evening, so wanted to check in while I had time before starting early to get the cat in the carrier. I know everyone says it's hard, but with this one cat, it's near-impossible. The others have ranged from challenging to no problem at all. They need to do a followup to see if an infection is gone from her urinary tract - it has been hanging on and last time it was still $ bc of xrays and then more antibiotic. I feel bad for her because she gets so stressed.

Found some chicken andouille sausage and so I'm going to make a new recipe tonight for smoked sausage and chicken gumbo ... we'll see how that turns out. Takes 2 hours to cook, so need to zip home after the vets and then run to the markets so I have the chicken thighs and cajun seasoning. I thought I had some but apparently used it up awhile ago and forgot I did. I like trying a new recipe. I look at days where I'm not at work and think of all the things I'm looking forward to doing when retiring.

I wanted the $1.99 slice of cheese pizza from Fresh Thyme for lunch today, so instead of even going there for a few items, I just came home from my appointment and made lunch at home. Credit. I made a big salad with pineapple balsamic, dried unsweetened coconut, cranberries, raw pumpkin seeds and a small turkey patty on the side. That was ehh, but the salad was great.

Karen - I think we're aiming to hit Baby Driver this weekend ... DH loves movies. I enjoy them to a lesser degree, except for Christmas ones. I'll watch any Christmas movie! haha.

Bill - LOL at the pharmacy with their limited concern... apparently it was limited to their cash register. Looking forward to trip recaps! The only birds I noticed on my trips to Italy are the pigeons, and I'm the one person who likes them!
Old 07-28-2017, 09:41 PM   #176  
anniemaxx

S/C/G: 286/ticker/199.9

Height: 5'3"

Buddies/coaches
Been absent for a while but still on track.
Enjoyed catching up by reading everyone's posts.
Looking forward to August and what it has in store.
Anniemaxx
Old 07-29-2017, 06:38 AM   #177  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - NASA created (1958)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Dinner outside on the patio; CREDIT moi for sane meals despite snacks that were too large. It was striking to be sitting outside at 8:30 in failing light while remembering that in Costa Rica it would be full dark since equatorial sunlight just goes from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Walk, CREDIT moi, included stopping for an overdue haircut. I wandered through some back streets until I found a garden that I wanted to tell a friend about. 'Wandering' is not as aerobic as walking quickly, but sometimes wandering about is just what's called for.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yep, “I don’t care” is just the worst; I hate when I fall for that one. I hadn't heard about mold spores from cornfields.

nationalparker – Kudos for avoiding a store to avoid the call to their pizza. Hope your cat is getting better.

Karen (karenrn) - So nice to be reminded of the line by the Dowager Countess, Lady Violet, in Downton Abbey: “What is a weekend?” Have a happy WW meeting this morning.

anniemaxx - Kudos for "still on track" - a challenge when the temperatures are high.

Readers -
Quote:

Then there are emotional triggers. These are unpleasant feeling, such as anger, sadness, anxiety, frustration, or boredom. You eat to comfort or distract yourself. Emotional triggers can also be pleasant feelings. You might think if you eat or keep eating, you can keep that good feeling going. Or you might eat because you think your good feeling will go away if you restrict yourself.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:51 AM   #178  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Good morning Coaches,

Very busy day yesterday, enjoyable but busy. Daughter-in-law thought DGD should go in her stroller for a nap. I walked with her for 90 minutes then felt like I needed a nap. Did all my running around and DGD then came over from about 5-730 to see Grampa. She is just so busy and helps us appreciate the world form her view. We get to stop and look at all the wonders. Eating was on plan. I made a new omelette. I put I tablespoon on sauerkraut, smoked meat, 1 tablespoon on cheese, tomatoes, onions, and peppers.

Bill – Your dinner outside sounds wonderful. Whenever we eat outside, every bug you can imagine flies over or crawls over to visit. We have a forest type area behind our house. I guess my dislike for bugs attracts them. We also get bunnies visiting our garden. They are cute.

Nationalparker – How was your dinner. I hope it turned out well. You are my inspiration for trying new recipes.

Karen – I volunteer all year long at the area schools so in the summer once in awhile I will get the blahs, not sure if it is because I don’t have a routine. I try to go out and do a random act of kindness and it makes a blah day feel good. (I swim laps)

Joy – I too have allergies and don’t like taking allergy stuff for them, so sometimes I just suffer through which is not always a smart plan. Good luck with your plan today.

Anniemaxx – Great job staying on track. What food plan are you following?

Hello to everyone else. Have a great weekend.

Take Care
Ann

Last edited by Newlifestyle; 07-29-2017 at 07:56 AM.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:37 AM   #179  
Enjoying la bella vita

Good morning - I think my day's schedule is going to be busy and not sure how late into the evening we'll be out. DH's father's birthday is today, so we'll take them out to dinner, but are suggesting the city where the newborn is still in the NICU so all can visit there, too. We're all in a big triangle. Flooring project moves to the bedroom today, but want DH to go get his dad's gift/card this morning, so we're not late bc that's usually how it plays out.

The recipe was more time consuming than I anticipated because the first roux I made with spelt flour to remain on plan, and that was a bust. Roux #2 browned much too quickly and turned too deep a shade/too strong for me, so dumped and restarted yet again. Third time was the charm and learned that my stove's temp cannot be the medium high the recipe called for in making that. Live and learn! The rest of it sailed along as I'd prepped the chopped stuff, so I felt like a TV cook, ha! DH really liked it, but I found that I don't like that sausage! More for him. I don't love smoky flavored things and that chicken sausage nailed that flavor, so good on that account. Served with brown rice, despite the recipe calling for fluffy white rice. I figured the flavor/texture gain from the white rice would be minimal vs. staying on plan since I know today will be a challenge, dining out.

The temps have cooled off a bit here, so windows are open and the birdsong is my morning music.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:58 AM   #180  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Phone check in

Last day in DC. So far I have been evacuated by a tornado in Kent Island, warned by flash floods and had two nights of power outages. What is with the East coast? Nice visit with college buddy. We have one more day touring around and then I fly home tomorrow to see DS for the first time in two weeks. I missed him. A consistent breakfast has really helped balance the treats and snacking that crept in this week. I'll know the damage done tomorrow when I weigh in. Credit for enjoying what I ate. Credit for intentional exercise and dressing nicely even in the rain to support priorities. Every little bit helps.

Last edited by maryann; 07-29-2017 at 09:59 AM.
Closed Thread