Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 06:32 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – July 2017 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:
Old 07-01-2017, 06:33 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - Canada Day - (1982) (née: Dominion Day, 1867)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Too many snacks - Ouch! But it was a day of getting things done. Much to my disdain, I pulled out clothes that I might wear to Costa Rica. The number one rule is: NOTHING COTTON!!! It will be a muggy atmosphere and one needs clothes that dry quickly. To my daily joy, most things that I own are 100% cotton - from the skin out. So I had to go back to clothes from the trip to Iceland and the Grand Canyon and wherever. I found some; I need to go into REI (thank you Washington State) Monday to buy more. CREDIT moi for doing the butler's job that I'm stuck with. ("Up with which I'm stuck" since proper English is a current theme.)

Exercise was planned as a walk with DW around a local reservoir - a quick after dinner affair because she wanted to break-in her new boots for Costa Rica. We had driven two blocks from home when the rain started. It wasn't predicted by the morning weather reports. So we drove back home. Ouch again. We did have a lovely chat with some neighbors including their three kids who were standing on their porch about to leave but were stopped by the rain. The three year-old told us a loooong story. I was impressed by his grasp of the language and ability to just talk and talk. I was reminded that they go quickly from the stage where I'm celebrating my DGD's new grasp of speaking to the stage where they don't stop, LOL.

onebyone – Good luck with your event today. Sending supportive thoughts for all of you in this difficult time.

silverbirch – I'm used to the phrase 'progressive lenses' instead of 'varifocal lenses' - anything to avoid the phrase 'bifocal lenses' that has a negative connotation around here because they're for old people which, of course, I'm not. Yay for those late night conversations that shouldn't be reserved only for college kids in the dorms. You can never catch up on those. [I'm so glad that adjective order is the same in British English. I look forward to mentioning my green French silver whittling knife in Wales without fear of sounding like a foreigner.]

maryann - Kudos for fighting "the candy bucket of the publishers." I'm still struck with the glorious images of Monterey Bay - you guys need to be more grateful that all the rest of us don't move to California.

Karen (karenrn) - Wishing you good luck teaching Otis to obey "Place" - perhaps reluctantly because the image "of him lying on the back of the couch with his little face on someone's shoulder" is so endearing. Thanks for the encouragement, "It seems like just one day that is really in control makes me feel so much more confident in my ability to maintain."

curlyjax - Yay for a smooth experience at the DMV - not known for such. Kudos for the upbeat, "Start again today."

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 1 The Key to Success

The New You

If you just keep practicing the skills described in this program, however, you'll do fine. Dieting will become easier. Cravings and hunger will diminish. You'll learn better ways to deal with stress. Your thinking will change. In fact, you'll get to the point where you'll react differently when you see food you know you shouldn't eat. Instead of saying, I wish I could eat this, and feeling sad, or It's unfair that I can't eat this, and feeling unhappy, you'll automatically say, I'm so glad I'm not eating that. At some point, you'll shift from, I hate depriving myself, to I'm happy I didn't overeat! Just take it one day at a time, as this book suggests. You'll get there!

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 24.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:25 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches- had a very busy day at work yesterday which i enjoy but still got into the candy. I think part of it is that its those small wrapped ones that you think have no calories and they’re FREE, just sitting around in a dish. I’m ashamed of how little will power i have, I seem to be in the “who cares” mode again. Sigh. no candy dish around on the weekends so at least there is that.

I’m still working out phones etc- i think we need something to be able to call english numbers like cabs- maybe i could use Skype? or i could buy a cheap phone in england for that. And then the kids like to text their friends, i need to call sprint to see if it can be done without huge expense. DD is dragging her feet about this trip as it is (I know, who doesn’t want to go to england!!) and if she can’t use her phone it won’t be pleasant.
I don’t understand unlocking phones and sims cards etc because mine is pay as you go. DH doesn’t have a talent for this stuff either (although if you ask him “who was king richard the first “ or whomever, he can tell you right away, so we all have our different talents !)
This is all making me anxious and is the not fun part of planning a trip. But I put aside this morning to make a huge list of what needs to be done/thought about to calm myself down.

thanks for letting me vent!
silverbirch- fascinating about Richard the third!
Bill- ooh, Costa Rica! how long is your trip?
karenrn- yay for stress less days!
Old 07-01-2017, 08:46 AM   #4  
anniemaxx

S/C/G: 286/ticker/199.9

Height: 5'3"

Good morning
I came across this thread whilst looking at New Posts. I hadn't heard of Beck Diet Solution before this morning BUT I am intrigued.
Recent (10yr)history, Lost 100lbs, kept it off for 7 years and have gained it all back in the past three.
Started a low carb plan (doctor supervised) 3 weeks ago and I am confidently on my way to a healthy weight.

I really want to focus on my behavior and think that this is the kind of support I need.
Looking forward to learning more.
Anniemaxx
Old 07-01-2017, 08:57 AM   #5  
Green Tomatoes

I've been missing for months. No surprise, that's not working at all well for me.

I have a doctor's appointment on October 9. That's enough time to lose 10 pounds or so. Ten pounds is enough to be the difference in avoiding a diagnosis of hypertension or diabetes.

So, I'm committing to two things on this July 1 -- post every day and weigh every day. The rest will fall into place as needed.

Good to see everyone! Welcome, Anniemaxx! This is definitely the place to be to figure out which behaviors are problematic and which are helpful for you.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:40 AM   #6  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Super quick checkin and hope to check in with further detail later. Just wanted to say I haven't been setting the time to post earlier in the day and then running out of time at night. Happy July!

AnnieMaxx - Welcome! I was shocked to see Orange Park, Florida, as your hometown! That's mine! I haven't lived there for 15 years, but just returned from visiting there this week. Good luck with your health plans and looking forward to seeing your posting here.

GardenerJoy - SO good to see you back! Great plan to move forward.

Bill - Costa Rica will be wonderful - Hope you have a great time. My niece is from there (lived in Hawaii as well!) and they own land down there, thinking they'd retire in 20 years there ... I don't think they abide by the no cotton, so if you have to take some, I think you'll still be fine. They're surfers and pretty active, so they do a good bit of sweating.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:20 PM   #7  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Up .4 at WW this morning, which is fine and expected considering I had some extras this week. I am under goal, but I do need to be more careful this week. I find the meetings motivating especially because of their "Beyond the Scale" focus. This mornings topic was about acknowledging feelings but not eating over them. I know we can all relate to that. I thought about going out to dinner this evening because we have a gift certificate for a restaurant we like, but realize I better save my extra points for the 4th of July gathering with former co-workers. We'll have BBQ hamburgers today instead. At least that way I can weigh and measure things and use a sandwich thin for a bun.

Exercise was an early walk with Otis, but I think that will be it for the day. Otis and I just got back from a drive over to the condo where we will be staying while our kitchen is remodeled. He was a nervous Nellie. I think we'll go over each day this week to see if he can get a little more used to it. I can move a few things over too.

Onebyone Good luck at your event today. I hope your Mom is stable for a time since you have such a big thing going on right now. It sounds like she is comfortable though and boy that's what I want at the end of my life.

Nationalparker Glad to see you and have a good weekend.

GardenerJoy We have really missed you. Welcome back and I hope the daily posting will be a great help.

Welcome Anniemaxx! I find this group very helpful for accountability and refocusing on things like 1)Building my resistance muscle, and knowing that 2) Hunger is not an emergency, as well as others. It always helps to learn tricks the others have and knowing I'm not the only one who struggles.

Curlyjax Good luck on the phone thing. I ended up buying a very limited phone plan when I was in Spain to call to make reservations. That worked well for me. I'm hoping your daughter can use the texting. There are so many places with wifi and that alone was very helpful.

Bill Yes a trip to REI will take care of everything clothes wise. Have you been to the mother ship in Seattle? It's quite the store. I have so many pair of hiking shorts and shirts I don't think I'll run out for the rest of my life. They seem to last forever. So funny about how much the neighbor kids talk. My parents used to pay my brother by the mile to keep quiet in the car on vacation cause he never shut up. He's very quiet now.

Have a great weekend everybody. Who has a four day weekend?
Old 07-02-2017, 03:16 AM   #8  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Default Sunday

I got a lot done yesterday but there's still more so I'll go to work later to sort out some more paperwork. It's been so busy since the end of March that it's slipped slightly. I found an unpaid invoice! I've sent them a reminder email. The weights I did yesterday are making feel much better and more balanced (physically). I woke up this morning feeling very hot and had been bitten in the night. So I got up into the cool of the morning. A very pleasant dew overnight.

karenrn, interesting about WW and feelings. I don't think I really understand the phrase 'eating over feelings'. It always sounds to me as though there's a very clear link between something (usually bad) happening and food going into the mouth. I never see this clear link in me.

nationalparker,

gardenerjoy, good to see you back. This is good to hear: 'a doctor's appointment on October 9. That's enough time to lose 10 pounds or so'. You're right, of course, and I might benefit from thinking like that. I think I've got the space to do that now.

anniemaxx, I love this: 'I am confidently on my way to a healthy weight'. onebyone and I are on a low carb diet too. We eat high fat as well and I think that onebyone also has fasting in the mix (hers is doctor-supervised).

curlyjax, I would say that British cab firms (taxis in our language) are not on Skype. A phone would probably be best. Good luck with keeping out of the candy dish - such a bad invention by someone!

Bill, the Costa Rica, no cotton thing is interesting. I do like the idea of 'progressive lenses' - so many good things are progressive. Um, progressive rock springs to mind but I know there are other things too ... The notion that you (or I) are old is one up with which I will not put. Such a tidy construction.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:24 AM   #9  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome anniemaxx

anniemaxx

And, in case you didn't get this five years ago,

Neat that you learned of the books by Dr. Judith Beck while reading on 3FC.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:27 AM   #10  
Super Moderator

Default Sunday - Amelia Earhart and Frederick Noonan disappear (1937, Marshall Islands)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, after dinner around the local reservoir as planned then cancelled yesterday. It was ideal walking conditions. We saw a large dark bird high in a tree that we never identified. Neither of us had binoculars - a plan to be sure that we walked swiftly instead of dawdling - and neither could figure it out. I voted for immature Bald Eagle; DW voted for a falcon-like bird. We had to just walk on. Her new boots felt good even on their first outing. That's a good sign for our trip. Other exercise was juggling the DGD whose parents are in the process of moving and find her unhelpful while packing boxes. We'll have her again today. We put her in a small plastic pool on our patio. Her diaper nearly absorbed the entire pool until I convinced DW to let her skinny-dip. (Our British neighbor reminds us that kids skinny-dip in Europe on public beaches without causing notice. We're a bit uptight here in the U.S. even for kids in their own backyards.) Exploring the physics of water is so much fun.

Food was OKish. Snacks are creeping into my life as if they're residents. Like the kids coming home from school to raid the fridge. This needs to change.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Neat to have a clear goal: a doctor's appointment in October. Time management continues to be a challenge for me. I still wallow in the Sabotaging Thought that 48 hours in a day would help me instead of making choices and working on efficiency. We need your expertise around here on such topics as order of adjectives in English.

silverbirch – Yay for finding an unpaid invoice - like (maybe) FREE monies. Kudos for the workout with weights enough to feel good about.

nationalparker – We need more discussion on the challenge of use of time.

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for making a decision about going to a restaurant by thinking of the next few days. [Making it to the REI "mother ship in Seattle" is on my Bucket list. I'll arrive with an extra empty suitcase.]

curlyjax - Good luck unraveling the phones on your trip to England - particularly for a teenager who lives on her phone. I'm still trying to incorporate texting as a useful feature instead of a big event. Yep, FREE candy feels like no-calorie candy. [Our Costa Rica trip is 10 days.]

anniemaxx - The Beck Diet Solution is a powerful set of strategies using Cognitive Therapy that help us stay on our eating plan and our exercise plan. Dr. Judith Beck has three books; the quotes under Readers below are from the first book - it's a good starting place. However, so are the other two; whichever appeals, or is readily available, can be your first book. Many of us have a history of losing then gaining it back. Beck's strategies help to break that cycle. Glad you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 1 The Key to Success

the solution at a glance
  • Cognitive Therapy is a psychological treatment that will help you successfully lose excess weight and keep it off.
  • The way you think about food, eating, and dieting affects your behavior and how you feel emotionally.
  • Certain ways of thinking make it difficult to follow a diet and to maintain weight loss.
  • The Beck Diet Solution takes you through a six week process to change sabotaging thoughts (that cause you to stray from your diet) to helpful thinking (that will lead to success).
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 25.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:50 AM   #11  
anniemaxx

thank you
Old 07-02-2017, 08:10 AM   #12  
anniemaxx

When I joined 3FC's back in 2012 I just kind of lurked. This time around I decided the best way to participate is to jump right in.

everyone thanks for the warm welcomes.

Nationalparker its a small world. Lets do a 'face to face' next time you are here. It feels like it has been raining for a month. Orange Park is not famous for good drainage, my yard is sopping.

Karenrn I am an expert at 'stuffing down my feelings' but 'eating over them'??? Interested I what it means.

silverbirch and onebyone I am loving the food plan (hybrid of atkins and south beach) my Doc has me on. My hubby has asked to join me on it. He is above his ideal weight by 50lbs (for the first time in his life). I pack him breakfast, lunch and a snack (he leaves home at 4am), then cooking dinner. My cooking is getting a little bland. Any hints on adding flavor without adding carbs? I am totally immersing, for the next 60 days, in the thin lifestyle. Trying to change my habits and now that our kids are grown and on their own I want to make it a 'couples thing'.

Everyone - I can't wait to get to know you better.

Anniemaxx
Old 07-02-2017, 10:12 AM   #13  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Just a brief note to explain my last one. Maybe it's just me, but I've always heard the saying, "Don't cry over spilled milk". Not eating over your feelings is the same thing. Silverbirch Do you mean you never eat out of boredom, depression, frustration? If I only ate when I was truly hungry, I wouldn't have to worry about my weight.

So there you have it. On with the day.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:13 PM   #14  
Green Tomatoes

With yesterday's 30-minute walk, I've exercised every day for a year! It's nice to have one healthy habit that I can count on and build on. (on which I can count and build -- it doesn't have the same force of conviction, does it?)

nationalparker: I'm happy to be back!

karenrn: I definitely can relate to the feel the feelings topic! I'm aware that I eat over frustration and the other emotions related to anger because I was taught that nice girls don't feel anger. I have to work really hard to be aware of what I'm feeling and not slip into the bad habit of overeating to stuff those feelings down.

silverbirch: Great to see you here, too.

BillBlueEyes: Time is a continuing struggle for me. Too often, my solution to the frustration is to distract myself with Facebook or news sites or computer games, which only makes the problem worse. OTOH, those are all better than dealing with the frustration by overeating, something else that is a struggle for me. Recently, I have had some success using a priority grid to force myself to make choices and get motivated to move on the top items: http://www.joyweesemoll.com/2017/03/...me-management/

anniemaxx: participating on 3FC really helps me. It gives a good tone and structure to my day that makes it easier to make better choices all day long.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:53 PM   #15  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Strange days

Coaches

Today I feel I am in danger of eating both off plan and too much. My sister has just messaged me. She has arrived here and soon we will be driving to visit my mother. I saw her last night after my very long, demanding, successful art event for my grant-funded project. I saw messages and phonecalls being left for me but I dared not pick them up. The kind of bad news I am expecting would have done me in at the event and in reality I am helpless in this situation. I went as soon as I could.

My mother looked better as they gave her subcutaneous liquid, a huge relief to us all, she is now on morphine. She was even further away. I decided upon driving up to speak to her only in Hungarian. I did. It came to me quickly with a bit of searching for the correct words but if she was hearing me, she understood. I had forgotten the luxury of explicit and complete privacy when sharing a language most people around you do not speak. This gave me a comfort I had not imagined or expected. I share this language with my mother as we were both raised by her mother/my grandmother. The fact that I alone of her 4 children speak the language is the largest mark of my time apart from them all, from 6 months to when I moved out at 18. This fact was a wedge between my mother and I until she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's almost 10 years ago at age 80. As her disease progressed she was unable to hold the complex emotional baggage she carried about giving me up. What a relief that was. We had a renewed, clear, person to person, relationship. All those layered things went, forgotten. What a gift for me and for us. We had a good solid 3 years together until the disease pushed her in different t directions, as it does, making all communication more problematic. I will be forever grateful that I did not turn away as my brother and older sister did when she was diagnosed. For whatever reason they decided she was already gone. Only the last few days would I consider that to be the truth. What they missed...

I am at peace with our decisions for our mother. She has lived, fully,and with joy, at every stage of Alzheimer's disease. It was a gift to see that people can do that. What a spirit she is.

Thank you for reading. I am not sharing this with too many around me. I can't take their concern right now it is too overwhelming.and I am not seeking that. I have what I need.

Last edited by onebyone; 07-02-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Closed Thread