Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 08:07 AM   #136  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

A dreary, gray, stormy morning here - but since I'm just working a bit from home before DH gets off at noon as well, it's fine. I lit the candles on the mantle and my rock salt light for ambience and instead of being down that it's such a dismal weather day, I'm enjoying the cozy. I'm on a vacation day today and DH asked me what I was planning to do. I take offense when he asks me what I'm going to do when I "play hookey". So today I said I'm going to the chocolate shop and will buy a box of bon-bons and sit here and eat them while reading. He cracked up and said you should, you never do that. Of course, I won't but saying I'm going to caulk the bathtub, vacuum the rest of the carpeting that is a mess from the tear-out, etc., is boring. haha.

Yesterday was NOT a good food day - staff out for lunch and while that was OK, we had a gathering after work with free food - the buffet tables were set all around and dinner was off plan ... topped off by the tables of mini cupcakes with scrumptious flavors. I had three mini cupcakes and could have eaten more of them, honestly.

I think we'll work on the flooring this afternoon, but I'd like to surprise DH and get tickets to the IMAX viewing of Dunkirk. I think he'd LOVE that.

Silverbirch - I hate to admit it, but a cow leaning over the fence and munching on my garden sounds like a joy to me, because I'm not experiencing that! I LOVE cows (yes, I am sure it's because I don't live next to them...) but oh, their EYES! Mmm. I think that's part of why I don't eat beef. I used to plant twice the amount of certain flowers, half for me and half for the bunnies/deer that would come and munch on them. They'd win on the calla lillies, though. That was all them, none me.

Karen - Thanks for reminding me about ironing - I'll pull my board/iron out and get a few things done and off my bureau. You have done such a fantastic time seeking a workable goal and then working toward it, always conscious about it. Hope the kitchen counter selection went well.

NewLifestyle - I hope you're able to shake that headache soon. Sometimes they just go through you!

GardenerJoy - I lost my post from the other day, but when you said you held off from the freshly baked bread, that is an achievement! That's one of the most tempting aromas to me. Hope all worked out smoothly with the bathroom fix.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:13 AM   #137  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Good morning Coaches,

Wow what a difference a day makes. No headache yet this morning. I think what happened was I wanted to get out for a walk both days and I didn't really think it through. I walked for an hour on each day. I did not make the connection until last night. Today I will either go to the gym or go on the exercise bike indoors. I couldn't believe how much such a headache limits basic activities. Lesson learned.

Silverbirch- How frustrating that a cow was munching on your hard work. Kudos for having a plan and making it work. Here I am not sure if the humidity will break. It would have been nice if you and Curlyjax could have met.

Nationalparker - I love the thought of eating bonbons and reading when someone asks what you have planned. You are always working so hard maybe DH is right you should have some me time. Freshly baked bread is one of my weaknesses.

Joy - You are very wise going for a walk early. Thanks again for reminding me about planning. It has helped so much with my eating.

Karen - How nice of you to notice and complete all the things your friend does not have time for. That is great DH can have Otis visit work.

Onebyone- Thinking of you and praying for peace for you and your family at this time.

Waving hello to everyone.

Take Care

Ann

Last edited by Newlifestyle; 07-21-2017 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:23 AM   #138  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I got my walk in early. With a little luck, I may not leave the house again today. I'm glad we got our air conditioner serviced earlier this week. It's working like a champ.

karenrn: Our two vanities are back to back, so we decided that they don't really need to match, even though they do now. You can't see one from the other. That's a relief because it means we don't have to replace both at once.

Newlifestyle: I've been feeling droopy in this weather, too. I'm not sure if it's the weirdness of the early walk, or the mold count, or just the weather in general. Glad you're feeling better this morning!

silverbirch: oh no! I'm sorry that your garden work meant that you were providing a fresh meal to a neighboring cow. We have to put an electric fence around the garden or the deer will eat everything.
I have an electric kettle that I got after our trip to England. I've heard of using it for pasta, but I keep forgetting about that idea because it's so far from the cooking habits I developed.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:28 PM   #139  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Phone check in. Last morning of reunion. Credit for volunteering to chase after five littles while many went zip lining. Reward was a solo beautiful hike, massage and sushi with DH and favorite SIL. I continue to weigh in and remain two pounds from ticker which is spectacular in the face of constant food opportunities. My set breakfast of PB2 and Greek yoghurt. I s saving the day.
Home today to pack for D.C. In Sunday.

Wave to all.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:11 PM   #140  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan but I did use some of my weekly calories for air popped popcorn as an evening snack last night. I brought my scale along and if it is the same on this floor as at home, I'm holding steady. I will know for sure when I check in at WW tomorrow. I only need to weigh once a month, now that I am a Lifetime member at goal, but I want to be sure the scale is accurate and I'm doing fine.

Exercise was a nice walk this morning with Otis and a girlfriend. I went to her house and then we walked to a park that she didn't know about 11/2 mile from her house. Next time I think we'll meet closer to the park and do a different loop. Otis got tired because it was hot and I carried him a couple of times for a short bit to give him a break. I do take water for him too. After that I came home for breakfast and after a little bit took Otis to dh's office. It was so fun to see how much he likes everyone there. His tail wags to much half of his body is wagging. He especially likes the boss . . . smart dog. Anyway, dh will bring him home at noon which allowed me to come home shower and run a couple of errands.

We chose our quartzite slabs for the counter tops yesterday and finalized the decision on the backsplash tiles. Little by little decisions are being made. Next week we'll finalize the lighting fixtures and then it will be down to hardware for the cabinets and paint.

Maryann It's good to hear from you. Good job on holding the weight steady in light of all the opportunities to go off the rails. I'm glad you're liking the yogurt mixed with PB2. It tastes like a real treat to me.

GardenerJoy I think I'm home for the day now too. It's muggy, even here. Probably not near as humid as it is there, but it's plenty warm. The gym is not that well cooled and we were all sweating up a storm. I was awake for a couple of hours last night just after midnight so I'm even thinking a little nap will be a good thing.

Ann I get headaches too. It seems they often last for about 3 days and I think I have finally determined that they come from neck/shoulder tension. I looked up some exercises on YouTube or something and I think they helped me. I also try to remember to pull my shoulders back and down when I'm at the computer or driving. It really is hard to feel very enthusiastic about anything when I'm having the headaches.

Nationalparker You are such a hardworking gal. I think something equivalent to sitting around eating bon bons would be great too. We did get the countertop approved yesterday. It's quartzite and called Madre Pearl. Reading about those mini cupcakes make me think it's about time for a sweet. I often have a treat on Saturday's after Weight Watchers and if I can think of what I want I'm going to get it.

Silverbirch I'm glad the planning is helping. I also find a good walk helps the day. I must take mine first thing in the morning due to the heat, but it won't be too many more months before I can get one in at any time. I had to laugh at myself when the others exclaimed about the cow eating things from your yard. I thought it said crow. I thought, "My that must be one large crow". I think I need to read a little more slowly or get my eyes checked, one of the two.

Well dh and the pup are home and it's time for some lunch. I'm thinking Otis will be happy to nap with me for a little big. Yea!
Old 07-22-2017, 07:36 AM   #141  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello, coaches! I got a lot done yesterday, but not a whole hecukva lot to show for it. Spent two hours in two different sessions at the fabric store, selecting the new fabric for our outdoor furniture cushions that I've been unable to replace - sizes are just not similar, despite me thinking I've GOT to be able to find something that would work. So, I decided that I will try to deconstruct them and make patterns and give it a shot. I had to come back home and re-measure the setee ones, and this will be a big deal if I get this done later this summer. I need to wait until the flooring is done, though. I did pick material that I really do like, and DH does as well. He has in his mind that I start projects and don't finish them. I said name ONE. Name ONE thing I have ever started and not finished around the house. He couldn't. OK then. I got a bit testy in my mind - I said no one knows how to do anything until you learn, and so you think I am unable to do this? Well, that wasn't where he wanted to go I do have to learn how to make the bias tape for the piping on the top and the bottom of the cushions. I will start with the two smaller throw pillows, to build my confidence. HA. Got the tub caulked so that looks much better.

We headed out for date night to see Dunkirk at the Imax with gift cards. DH really liked it. I was surprised that it has a 9.0 or so on IMDB. Then out to dinner at the local mexican spot where I ate way too many chips. I can honestly say that I am up so, so much now and am at a critical point - either I get back on my plan now, or I will be back in my size 14s for this fall. Part of me is in panic mode - I've GOT to get back on plan. While the other 2/3 of me is like, "life's short - you'll get back on plan here soon - enjoy the yummy food this summer" ... but in reality, the food is only good for the few minutes I'm eating it. I'm not looking back on those bite-size cupcakes from two nights about rethinking how yummy they were and what a nice treat. I'm thinking, hmmm what can I eat today... Well, I might have thought about those cupcakes a bit - one was browned sugar caramel. I know this plan works and I felt great when on it and then when maintaining on it ... but now the past 10 weeks, I've just gained every single week, I think. Thanks for letting me vent here about my stupid approach to this. Today I'm making my meal plan for the week and will take the time to get the healthy food prepped and then it's not a lure to just go out for a meal. We're spending too much on meals out, too. Ugh.

Goals for today - prep a menu of healthy on-plan meals and get in my water, do the marketing for the healthy weekly meals and that will cut down on straying from plan. We'll tackle the rest of the flooring for the hall/laundry cove and that'll finish off phase one of this project.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:22 AM   #142  
Green Tomatoes

I've lost 2 kgs this month! That's fast for me. I started with these two practices:
  • weigh every day
  • post every day
Each time the scale tipped up, I added a new practice, so I'm now doing these things as well:
  • measure 1/3 cup of cereal
  • remind myself that hunger is not an emergency
  • replace "I'm hungry" with "I feel lighter"
  • make a food plan each morning
  • eat at least 2 salads each day

maryann: A set breakfast while traveling makes a huge difference for me, too.

karenrn: good plan to callibrate your scale with the knowon quantity of the WW scale.

nationalparker: good for you for working out what it's going to take to get back to healthy eating. I was off for many months -- I definitely recommend getting back to it before your weeks turn into as many months.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:33 AM   #143  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good morning, Coaches.

Home one day to do laundry and putter. Leave for DC at 6 a.m. I woke up blue. Maybe I have been traveling too much or maybe I miss DS so much it hurts. He has one week more at National Jamboree.

Note for the Day: extra food won't help the feelings. Weight is steady. For some inexplicable reason I ate a sandwich just before bed. Hmmmmm. Disappointing. Oh Well. Healthy breakfast and plans to go to the gym this morning. It is really hot here as well.

I went to the jeweler to see about resetting the diamonds in my grandma's watch into anniversary bands to wear with my wedding ring. I never wear the watch because I don't "do" bracelets and the face is so tiny I can't see the time. I thought I would have the bands made and then down the road use the extra diamonds for little keepsakes for my nieces. It seems quite extravagant and hard to justify. We'll look at the mock up the jeweler will make and then decide. I can tell myself I have the money because I am kicking our kitchen remodel down the line until after DS is at college. KarenRn has convinced me that a complete move out will be necessary. It will give me something to do when I retire.

Nationalparker: There is a wonderful sewing attachment that will feed your chosen fabric's "bias" tape to make the designer piping. I am sure you can look it up on youtube. I went through a pillow making phase twenty years ago. I hear your frustrations about the weight gain. You only have to hop back on plan for one day. Today. Tomorrow will take care of itself.

Gardenerjoy: Super congrats on the weight loss.

Last edited by maryann; 07-22-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:54 PM   #144  

Good morning coaches,

Food on plan. Today's exercise was a walk with Otis and it wasn't as long. I wanted to get the walk in early before my Weight Watcher's meeting. I was looking forward to the meeting because I wanted to be sure my scale on this floor has an accurate reading. I missed last week cause I was out of town. I was down 1.2 pounds since my last weight in; so several pounds below my goal which means I don't pay.

I've actually been maintaining in this weight range for some months now. My future for successful weight maintenance most likely includes tracking most of the time and attending weekly meetings frequently. It's a nice group of people at the meeting and a number of them are Lifetime members at goal so I sure don't have a problem with that and I've been tracking for so long on My Fitness Pal that I don't mind that either.

I realize life is short but for me I want it healthy and I want to be strong enough that how ever many years I have are good years. Something will happen along the way, but I want to do my part so that when it does I start out as healthy as possible.

Maryann You have been so busy lately. I bet you wish you would be home a little longer before your next trip. There have been times when I booked things too closely and it was hard to enjoy a trip when I didn't have enough time in between. Equally important than a move out for a kitchen remodel, I absolutely recommend a kitchen designer unless you really enjoy shopping and choosing things. I don't, so the designer has been invaluable.
Great job on your weight management with all you've had going on.

GardenerJoy Yahoo for a 2kg weight loss! That's fabulous! You are making such great choices in adding guidelines that are helping you. I'm finding my tracking and the Beck strategies are so helpful. A book I'm listening too right now reiterates that most successful long term maintainers exercise nearly daily and most often it is walking. I always find it is encouraging to hear things that are successful and pat myself on the back for doing that.

Nationalparker I made some pillows years ago and had to do the bias tape piping. I think the most helpful thing for me was to have the cutting board that has the lines on it that shows the angle for the cutting. I used the long ruler things and a roller cutter. It wasn't bad at all. I'm sure YouTube has some great diy videos to show how it is done also. When I read your post I really hear "all or thinking" and it sounds like you're feeling that way. I know you don't want your weight to continue heading up. What about just trying to maintain where you are for a bit and enjoy some of the good stuff.

Okay, well on with the day. Everybody have a great weekend.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:03 PM   #145  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Default Saturday afternoon

A later post than usual as I wanted to get going with exercise and gardening this morning.

I made a plan for meals, exercise and other things. I've done flexibility exercises, eaten sensibly and am just waiting for tea to be ready (the SO is in charge tonight - I think it's roast pork cooked on a bed of veg, spinach and probably roast potatoes for those who want them). I've made very good progress in the garden. I planted out some lavender I took cuttings off last year - it's so cool and damp at present that I'm taking a chance on planting out, even though it's summer. I want all the plants in pots that are waiting to be planted out to be in the ground before we go away on Wednesday.

I did modify my initial plan as it made more sense to be in the garden rather than be at work this afternoon.

Gardenerjoy, 2kg is fantastic! Well done.

I'd hoped to do more personals but time has run out! See you tomorrow.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:35 PM   #146  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Hello Coaches,

Both yesterday and today I exercised indoors and this morning I walked early. I did not have a headache behind my eyes again. I think I will avoid being outside in the heat. I have been making a plan and following it. I had DGD today and she is such a joy.

Gardenjoy - 2kg is awesome that is 4.4 pounds. Yeah.

Nationalparker - I found eating out caused me to gain weight. I enjoy home cooking so I have tried to eat at home rather than going out for meals. Great job making a plan for the week.

Silverbirch - Great job modifying your plan so you could spend more time in the garden.

Karen - congratulations being down 1.2 pounds while maintaining.

Maryann - what a nice idea a keepsake for your nieces is. Hoping you get to see DS soon.

I just wanted to check in and say hello to everyone. I need to make supper.
I hope you all have a great night.

Take Care
Ann

Last edited by Newlifestyle; 07-22-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:10 AM   #147  
in development

Default Sunday morning

Good morning! A sunny and cool day here so far. So far I've measured my waist (down!), weighed myself (holding firm at too high), had breakfast and made a plan, so that's all good. Tea is unknown as the SO is in charge. Next step is to do my flexibility exercises.

Ann, I am glad your headache has gone and good work on the exercising! I think home-cooked is usually much nicer than in restaurants too. We hardly ever eat out and when we do I'm often disappointed.

silverbirch, credit for working in the garden on a job that has been hanging around for months. It was good exercise and good to be in the fresh air.

karenrn, I do second being healthy and strong. It really does help when unexpected things come along. Glad WW is working for you.

maryann, have a great time in DC. Can't remember why you're going there.

gardenerjoy, thanks for telling us about your protocol. You've encouraged me to add in getting on the scales in the morning. I tend to get out of the habit of daily weighing when it's cold in the winter and this year haven't really got back into it. I've been measuring my waist instead. Now I'm going to do both.

nationalparker, you're a busy person! Of course you can learn how to make piping and cushions. It can't be hard. You might not get it right first time but who does? Practice makes perfect (or near enough).
Old 07-23-2017, 10:23 AM   #148  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Thumbs up shifting gears

Coaches, hello!

Wow is about all I can manage in terms of describing the past month. Today my mother has been gone two weeks already. I picked up her mortal remains yesterday and she sits in the china cabinet beside her cat and mine (mortal remains as well) all without DH knowing as it would freak him right out. I told him she is at the studio. Should any "spookiness" occur she will be at the studio. Interment plans aren't for another month and I was reminding my sister that Sept 27 would have been her 90th birthday so since we don't have a deadline maybe that would be a good day?

A few things have occurred that makes me wonder if she isn't getting things done from the Great Beyond. We have been waiting for over a year for the province of Alberta to release funds my father had in a bank account discovered when he was dying. It had been deposited in the 70's by his mother and remained untouched but grew with interest to a tidy sum. A complete shock to us as my father, prior to his admittance to the care facility where he lived out his days, was a homeless person with an alcohol addiction. Nothing to his name. And then poof. 72K. Right after he died the province told us what to do to claim the money and it's been ongoing and tangled up and then my mom dies and it's shaken loose with a note from our lawyers that the funds will be released.

I've also had a stroke of coincidental luck meeting the right person with the right information at the right time that I know will lead to art projects in the future, possibly significantly raising my profile in the community here. Complete stroke of luck. They offered to sponsor a submission I am making this week by giving me an honorarium which would be in addition to the fees paid to me by the project itself -- so long as the submission is accepted, but they also endorse the project so it's a sweet deal for me.

And the German artist, from Germany who is creating ceramic ravens for one of my favorite clients and now a friend, has arrived. He is insisting we work collaboratively and we will. I hope to get over there this morning to see if there has been progress in the making of the ravens. She built plaster molds in her studio and brought them here. Her birds have great character! I had to miss the dinner for her as my back has been more-than-twinging all along the right side, across the ribs and into the flat of the back. It is tension and holding things in and plain working non-stop for about three weeks. After I send this here I'll mention my mom's death on facebook and begin the process of letting this all go on another level.

And foodwise: 265 this morning, up from 259. Time to begin to pay attention again.I'm making a plan and like a few of us here, better a plan and then a deviation vs. no plan at all. Set Your Intention just popped into my head. You can't reach a goal if you don't make a goal.

Thanks again for the good thoughts. I feel them all.

Last edited by onebyone; 07-23-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:33 AM   #149  

Good morning coaches,

Yesterday I had some planned treats, 2 cookies at Panera. I enjoyed them, but don't think I'll have to have sweets very often. The good news is that in the past I always felt like once I had a sweet I needed to have a sweet every day. So far I don't feel that way. We also went out to dinner and I had half a patty melt and some steak fries. Now it's back to the plan which is all good stuff too.

Otis and I had our walk a little later today and it was only 30 minutes because it was just too warm and muggy. Dh went over to our house to wash his car, so we drove over there just to take a look. What a mess. There is no way we could live there, but they are certainly making progress.

Onebyone It's so good to hear from you and I'm happy to hear some good things are happening for you. You are a wonderful artist, so it isn't just a stroke of luck that some of these things are happening. Good timing for sure though.

Silverbirch A sunny and cool day sounds wonderful. We have the sunny part, but it's too warm here. Is it difficult at all when SO makes the tea and you don't know what it will be? It would be great to have some one else doing some of the cooking, but I like the control of knowing what we will be eating.

Ann Great that you are making a plan and following it. I need to make a plan for today.

Take care everybody and enjoy the day.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:14 PM   #150  
Green Tomatoes

Late post today because my day started earlier than usual with a 9am coffee meeting.
That's also impacting my exercise, but I'm going to get in a little. I'm struggling to not let it impact my food, so I'm declaring my determination to follow my plan. I got this far through my day, so I can finish it off strong.

maryann: I hope you're travel day is going well!

karenrn: That's great that your local WW group is working well for you on several levels.

silverbirch: I plan or re-plan around yard work, too. My plan always has to take into account anything that requires a wardrobe change.

Newlifestyle: I gave up on outdoor exercise yesterday after several early morning walks. I didn't feel like I was recovering well, so I'm trying a couple of days of indoor exercise.

onebyone: I'm glad you made your way back here and have had some recent good news. Here's hoping that you're finding some good ways to release tension today.
Closed Thread