Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 09:09 AM   #106  

Good morning. I was OP yesterday so yay for me. It's so much easier on a workday than weekends.

I usually go to an exercise class on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday but I have an appt today so I can't. I was thinking about going yesterday but I didn't so I'm not going to get my 3 days in this week.

Hope everyone has a great day.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:54 AM   #107  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

100% OP day -- credit! And, a little exercise. We jumped into summer here yesterday with heat advisories, so I improvised an indoor workout.

WI: +0.25 kg, Exercise: +20 550/1300 minutes for July, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

SuzLen and eusebius: the documentary filmmaker is exploring the aftermath of the Michael Brown shooting on the St. Louis region -- in particular, he's trying to get at the positive things (of which, there are many) that never get shown in mainstream media. Pictures of people meeting and talking and sharing aren't nearly so dramatic as pictures of people shouting.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:13 PM   #108  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Just got back from the gym, credit. I was hoping to hike, but when I got up at 4 am and saw the temp of 87, I'm just back to the gym. I need to remember that I did find hiking with a pack last week just fine, even after just going to the gym the week before. I consumed a few extra calories yesterday and no exercise. I got up and felt like starting the cooking, so that's what I did. Two meatloaves, an enchilada casserole and the spaghetti sauce which will soon be lasagna. I must say I feel really good after getting in my gym time this morning. I did all cardio though and need to get back to the strength training.

Gardenerjoy Congratulations on your loss and getting on a roll again. I bet that feels great.

Eusebius I would love to be a fly on the wall of your workshop. I love music although my talent is listening to it.

Curlyjax It must be so much more difficult to mind what you're eating when you need to have what others want as well. More power to you, but I agree sounds like they should at least do the fixing.

Bill I was just rereading Day 39's quote about exercise being a permanent part of my weight loss routine. For me it is essential, I absolutely must burn the calories so I get a little more to eat.

Nationalparker I couldn't have shortbread cookies anywhere nearby. I LOVE them. Actually I love several cookies, but I think they are at the top of the list. Please tell more about your trip when you have time.

Sandy So glad you're feeling good again. And longer walks without too much pain is a really good thing. I'm sure every bit of weight loss is celebrated by your knees.

SuzLen Boy it's hard to stay on plan when there isn't one since others are doing the cooking. Yes, portion control is about all you can do. And enjoy what you're eating!

Diane What is your decorating project? You probably said, but I missed it!

I'm feeling really happy today. I talked to my son (who lives in Thailand) on Skype this morning and he will be in the states for I think almost two months. I will reroute my drive to Washington next month and see him in northern California. Might be able to see him again before he heads back. I only see him about every other year it seems. Skype helps a lot though.

I'm going to start getting organized for my trip too. I have a memorial service to attend, a 10 day backpacking trip, a 5 days girls trip in Seattle and hiking, and my niece's wedding. I think some lists are in order. I am very grateful to have the time both to get ready and to take the trip. My husband is a gem.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:35 PM   #109  

Height: 5' 2"

Karen How wonderful you can talk with your beloved son by Skype. With such long distances between one's we love, this is truly amazing.

Good luck on the trips and thank goodness for such a great husband!

Bit of gardening and huge poison ivy vines removed that were entangled in my beloved cinnamon ferns. Had a garbage bag clear up my arm, but still put clothes in washer on cooler setting to make sure any oil is removed.

So grateful for help our daughter gives us so often. Today she helped me reconnect my computer after I unplugged it during our extreme storm with lightening and very high winds. Except for a dead branch that was blown out of our large maple, only 1/2 beautiful Sedona Coleus was damaged. Coleus recover so well that in no time it will fill back in and look great.

Favorite peanutbutter and jelly sandwich is far less tasty when I used only the limited, reasonable amount of each on thin bread. I usually have 2 times as much of each. This is part of the reason I don't lose weight. Changes must be made NOW.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:56 PM   #110  

I went to bed last night after reading my weight loss goals and decided whatever my uncle fixed, I would eat only the portions that were ON PLAN. Then this morning he had made some huge breakfast burritos (toasted) - LOL - only the eggs (which were wrapped with potatoes and chorizo inside a HUGE flour tortilla) were on plan. Oh boy. I ate the whole thing and enjoyed it, but I am envisioning a scale crash when I get home. Tonight my cousin is grilling, hopefully I can be more selective.

love2garden: that is wonderful that your daughter lives close enough to help and spend time with.

karenrn: fabulous that your son is coming and you will be able to see him. Kids grow up way too fast. The days of having all of your posterity living right around you is long gone in this fast-paced global society.

gardnerjoy: I am happy that someone was interested in some positive news instead of only what the pundits decided to report to the rest of us.

diane1102: Yay for a day on plan!

eusebius: you are incredibly gifted - I am happy that you are sharing your talents with a younger generation.

curlyjax: You are in quite a pickle cooking wise. Kids are funny. My problem is when I was a teenager I thought doritos, a coke, and swiss rolls were an ideal lunch........

BillBB: Your Beck quote for the day is just one of my many problems. I thought it would motivate me to go look for some new clothes for the start of the new school year, but I kept saying - "maybe when I lose five more pounds....." It's why I rarely buy anything, lol.

nationalparker: raspberry and lemon is always a winning combination! And tempting....as are bite-sized desserts. When did women and men stop wearing hats? I love them!

I think my mom is planning on headed back south Thursday - then I will have my Beck book back and can continue.....(and exercise, hopefully!).

Last edited by SuzLen; 07-14-2015 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:32 PM   #111  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

A fairly quick check in tonight to say that I did not do as well as planned at the work event this evening. Breakfast and lunch were on track and then I went astray at the event and not really sure HOW many calories I took in. Three bite-sized whoopie pies - smaller than the circle of your forefinger and thumb and cute as all get out (SuzLen, I fell into that trap) ... counting them as 150 calories and feel that's a bit high but that's 450 right there. Just having to say Oh well, know that tomorrow is another day and a day that starts bright and early at the dentist so I know there won't be breakfast and only light lunch, so ... at least I'll rebound a bit tomorrow.

Hearing that the Minions movie is a lot of minion-ese in a couple of hours and now I'm less excited to go. I cracked up at them in the Despicable movies, not expecting that at ALL... ended up laughing so much. We'll see.

DH is home now, assembling a grill that I won! I should go help (or at least go keep him company). Look forward to catching up better tomorrow.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:05 AM   #112  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday - Hail Pluto

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Designed my walk, CREDIT moi, to hit both the library and our community garden. When I was watering it the day before, I noticed - after I had made it too wet to walk into - that there were three sugar snaps still hanging in the rear. DW had pulled all the dead Sugar Snap vines the prior week to make space for the cukes to grow on the fence. She'd missed these three live ones. I snuck them into last night's salad for a pleasant surprise. Now they're really, really, really all gone.

Food was on plan, CREDIT moi, even though a couple of dark chocolate coated strawberries had been overlooked and strawberries around here are designated for me. They were added to the fruit of my evening snack. Dark chocolate lasts a long time, but strawberries don't; they had to be consumed, he said as if he'd stated a fundamental law of physics.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Ouch for heat advisories - that could make gardening a bit less fun.

Erika (eusebius) – Neat that you ran before the rains. It's so fun to hear your appreciation of the singers that you play for.

nationalparker – Congrats for whatever you did to win that grill. Whoopie pies trigger my childhood comfort foods stuff; small ones would slip under my defenses since they wouldn't be so bad. Kudos for at least estimating the calories.

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for gym before the light of day and a gem of a DH for the rest. Yay for Skype to Thailand. Ten days backpacking is a load of food to carry.

curlyjax - Brownies with frosting should be banned; I find them hard to resist. Congrats for taking the effort to let your kids choose their own eating style. You can teach your DS to call himself a 'pescetarian' - primarily a vegetarian who eats fish.

Sandy (love2garden) - The Coleus that DW puts in a planter out front each summer survives the neighborhood kids who like to walk by and pet it. Sturdy plant, those. Measured quantities of peanut butter do always seem to be lesser than estimated quantities.

SuzLen - Good grief! Your uncle's "huge breakfast burritos (toasted)" has my cravings working. Yay for plans for exercise.

Diane (diane1102) - Yep, on plan is always worthy of Kudos. Good luck making those three exercise classes this week.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 40 Enrich Your Life

. . ."Why don't you start doing some of those activities now?" I asked her.
. . .Maggie looked puzzled, "You mean while I'm still heavy?"
. . ."Yes, now. Why would you wait?" I inquired.
. . ."Are you serious?" she asked. "I can't do those things now. It's because I want to be able to do these things that I'm dieting in the first place."
. . .After our discussion, Maggie was able to see how enriching her life now could actually facilitate her weight loss. As she developed new interests, engaged in pleasurable activities, and felt more effective, her mood would lift, she'd focus on things other than food, and she'd have more mental energy to diet.
. . .Like Maggie, have you put off enriching your life? Here's how to get started on making your life better today. . . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 256.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:13 AM   #113  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

morning coaches!
credit for good brekkie and lunch and resisting hunger in the am. That is my best time food wise and probably is what helps maintain my weight at least.

My motivation decreases in the evening- I feel like I am waiting for some kind of positive event to "make" me get back on track. I really need to create my own good event I guess!
I love the nice weather but summer to me often feels like my life is on hold, without the regular schedules and rhythms of school, church, many people away etc. It is nice to have a change in routine, but also doesn't feel like "real" life.

Karenrn- your trips sound so wonderful! looking forward to hearing about them. Wow, Thailand is very far! glad he will be closer for a bit.
love2garden- good tip about the poison ivy and cold water, i didn't know that. glad you survived the storm ok.
diane- good job op!
Old 07-15-2015, 08:44 AM   #114  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Good morning Coaches,

Day 3 finished. It went well and we are gearing up for the first concert tomorrow night. Getting a bit tired but I do have this evening off to spend with my boyfriend who’s leaving for a month to do his own opera workshop.

Being tired resulted in a bit of extra snacking last night - tracked and within points budget, but unplanned nonetheless. Did some yoga this morning -credit.

Managed to sneak out for a WW weighin yesterday - Down 3.6! yeah

diane1102- kudos for an on plan day. Life does make the exercise difficult sometimes.

gardenerjoy - that doc sounds interesting and inspiring. Cool that you are a part of it.

karenrn - kudos for hitting the gym and being flexible with your plans when the weather is hot. Wonderful that DS will be around for a good amount of time.

love2garden - I hear you on the tastiness of diet-unfriendly foods. The taste buds do get retrained over time but it certainly takes a while!

SuzLen - Man, your uncle sounds like a good cook but OUCH… hope the grilling is easier to deal with. Thank you for your kind words

nationalparker - those events are so tough to deal with sometimes - your plans for getting back on track sound good. I do have a soft spot for those silly minions.

BillBE - Cool to find extra sugar snaps for your salad - sounds like a nice walk, especially if it included a library too Love the strawberry law of physics, lol.

curlyjax - sounds like you have a great morning routine. I too find that creating the evening routine is harder!
Old 07-15-2015, 10:11 AM   #115  

Good morning all:

Karen - We are redecorating 2 BRs and a bathroom. Paint, carpet, bedding, and curtains in bedrooms. Paint, shower curtain, towels, and rugs in the bath. I have a lot of de-cluttering to do. And packing up stuff from tops of dressers so we can move the furniture. Even though someone else is doing the painting, it's still a bit of work for us.

I had a good OP day yesterday. DH came home with blueberries so I made some blueberry crumble. (WW-friendly recipe). I still had some daily points left so I had some. Yum.

Today is my weigh-in day. It looks like I stayed the same. Very frustrating.

Thanks to everyone for your encouragement here. I'm trying to get to 'know' everyone by reading every day.

Take care...
Old 07-15-2015, 10:46 AM   #116  
Green Tomatoes

I'm claiming victory today -- I lost my 2nd 5 pounds of the year. I updated my ticker and profile and made a new chart for my wall for the next 5 pounds. Woohoo! I'm actually quite happy with the way I'm eating right now. If I can eat like this and keep losing, I'm in good shape.

This is the response card that is helping me most right now:

Quote:
My goal is not to get away with as much as possible. My goal is to eat as healthy as possible.
WI: -0.35 kg, Exercise: +40 590/1300 minutes for July, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 07-15-2015, 11:40 AM   #117  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Good morning coaches,

Just home from the gym. Did some cardio and some strength training. Trying to move back to more strength training. Credit. I woke up in the night for a couple of hours and felt hungry. I almost got up and ate a low calorie yogurt, but before you know it the hunger passed. I was down a pound this morning, so I'll take it. It is very slow going, but I'm getting enough healthy food to eat.

I'm starting to think about what I need to have for snacks when I do the ten day backpack. Meals are provided, but snacks are not. It has to be something that will last ten days and also weight (of the food) is a consideration. Peanut M & M's and trail mix used to be at the top of the list, but I'm not sure now. I've also heard people rave about Quest Bars. Might need to try them.

Sandy I've never even seen poison ivy that I know of. Glad you were able to get rid of it without getting it on you.

SuzLen The breakfast burrito sounds wonderful. I love any kind of a burrito.

Diane Sounds like a lot of redecorating. We need to do some here, but I think will all wait until we are pet less, which could be awhile. I would just love to have some pretty bedding especially, but not that the dog comes on, and he does.

Eusebius You are doing so well on the weight loss; congratulations!

Gardenerjoy Good for you and it's great to hear you sounding so upbeat and positive. I love your quote and am trying to follow it as well.

Have a good day everybody.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:44 PM   #118  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Dentist for a few hours this morning (replacing old dental work, and I detest going to the dentist, as well as paying $$$ for replacing old stuff). Decided to take a full day off and just "be" ... getting some things done around here. Plan to make the shortbread cookies before long and pulled out pretty pink tissue to put them in to take to a few neighbors ... will bring most of the rest in to work tomorrow. I wonder if I'm just setting myself up for failure there.

Speaking of failure, when DH left a bit ago, I headed to the kitchen, pulled out one thing after the other for a bit of this and a bit of that. Two slices of cheddar (80 cal.), a few slices of turkey pepperoni (35 cal), some light chips (100 cal), so in the span of a few minutes, I'd taken in 200+ calories for NO reason other than it sounded like a good idea. No written plan today. Not sure where my brain went. Dinner will be decently light - romaine salad with ample tomatoes and chilled romano "crusted" chicken diced on it. I liked the sound of that when I read that on Bravo's menu a few years ago. I thought, boy, I need to amp up my meal descriptions! ha ha! It's not "chicken pot pie" I made, it's flaky-crusted, savory veggie and tender chicken chunk-filled pie with a dash of white wine baked to perfection. HA He laughs at me when I jokingly PR it up.

Will see if no storms this evening - if not, planning to walk the trail. Decided to table the "date night" until tomorrow night to see Minions. Now I'm a bit iffy on it after hearing that two hours of them is too long. DH found a movie on a listing (The Third Man) that is supposed to be great - an oldie that somehow neither of us can remember seeing... so off to check out if my library has it. AIMING to post personals tonight! I have been a slacker on them here lately.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:11 PM   #119  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi coaches!

Food on track today credit I had to go to Denver and had my smoothie before I left after completing my housework and two hours of gardening. Lunch is late and I'm definitely experiencing real hunger at this moment. I decided to forgo lunch in Denver to save money as I am splurging on another massage this evening. My tenants rent check was not good for this month. And I've been spending time dealing with the remedy. Credit for good behaviors today and especially for not eating over my tenants unfortunate situation, although acknowledging it does affect me, too. I was planning a healthy bison burger for lunch but at this point will have left over gluten-free cereal. Bison burger will work for dinner.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:21 PM   #120  

Height: 5' 2"

Debbie Hope your massage tonight is as good as mine was this afternoon. I'm wondering, is it possible that as we get stronger muscles that massage is more comfortable?

NationalParker Your experience with revisiting tooth that was "fixed" previously echo my experience. Tooth broke and I'm amazed how huge the old filling was. No wonder little tooth was left. Now waiting till I can get the rest pulled, post implanted so it can heal. More expense at regular dentist when he makes the crown to make my smile normal. Luckily it isn't up front.

Karen Good to be down a pound, me too. Also to gym for strength training that finally is feeling good. Cardio was bike to help protect knees, but even that didn't do too bad with a neighbor to talk with.

eusebius Good work to be down, and surely you can make it thru another hard day.

My dear friend is in ICU with pneumonia and possible heart attack. She is such a fighter and usually optimistic in spite of 9 years on dialysis, but this latest mountain seems too much for her to climb. Prayers for MCM, please.

Sandy
Closed Thread