Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 10:04 AM   #211  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I followed my plan except for super-sizing a snack. That's much better than recent days and I can do even better today. I have a do-able plan. Credit for weighing, posting, planning, and exercising.

Thanks for the shot of Neil Diamond this morning, everyone. Suits my mood this week! As a midwesterner, I always related to "lost between two shores."

WI: +0.2 kg, Exercise: +65 1020/1300 minutes for July, Food: 80% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 07-25-2015, 10:13 AM   #212  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Credit for the first day on Tylenol and off narcotics. I was sore but willing to hang in because I felt some of my personality comeback - especially dancing to the credits of "Divergent". DH begged me to stop as he rolled on the floor laughing at me. Have started today with Tylenol and again feel sore but I can hang in for awhile.

I can do anything for an hour that would appall me to do for a day. I need to remember that while using my resistance muscle as well.

Had a nice lunch with DH and went shopping for our joint anniversary present - a recliner. We haven't bought new furniture in 15 years and the chair we have is a handy-me-down from MIL. What a treat to find something super comfortable.

nationalparker: OK I'll read some of my pink book as well and howyoulose I will join you in a protein shake for lunch.
KarenRn: Congrats on hopping back on track so quickly.
BBE:I have been to the white mountains. Funny how different they are from our Sierra Nevada.
Suzlen: You are right in that we must never struggle alone.
onebyone: I am reading the book you suggested The Mindful Way of Depression. The body scan is interesting. I couldn't lay still through it. I think because I hate the pain in my body so much I need to
avert my attention.
Love2garden: i went to a Neil Diamond concert and he sang that song.

Last edited by maryann; 07-25-2015 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:22 PM   #213  

Height: 5' 2"

Mary Ann Good for you because you are getting off those pain killers Isn't it amazing how they can change us? Good to be alive, even if sore, eh?
Thanks for the name for the song that haunts me. I could see him, but couldn't remember his name. Envy you going to his concert.

Bill Should have known you'd know. Thanks.

Debbie Name AND the words? Wow! what a rich source we have here.

3 hours gardening in cooler than normal morning temps for July. over 2 5 gal. cans of stuff taken out of just part of the back gardens. I cut down scapes of Daylilies that are no longer blooming, pulled out some dead leaves, weeded and weeded and weeded. The tall ruby Cone Flowers that are so beautiful in front of the Japanese Silver Grass were over powering lower plants. I fenced them back so they stand up now. Those 3 ft green wire fences that poke down into the ground work wonders.

Yesterday I had over 7500 steps, but today I'm too sore to walk much more and I'm going to be lucky to get close to 4,000. All that bending to weed has my back side and hamstrings screaming at me.

Fresh garden veggies are so good to snack on. Sometimes the red peppers never make it into the house.

Sandy

Last edited by love2garden; 07-25-2015 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:46 PM   #214  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello! I got way more done today than anticipated; always good. Was exhausted and can't remember why, didn't get to bed until nearly 1 a.m. Awake at 5 and just not able to fall back to sleep. Read for a bit, then just got started on my day. Good breakfast and DH and I were planning to go to a local mexican restaurant for lunch, and did a late lunch around 2 or so there. He drove and then had two drinks (highly unusual) and so I had to drive and I CANNOT drive the manual truck. So I drove around the parking lot for ages to get comfortable shifting. Then as soon as I go to exit the parking lot, two cars come up behind me. Seriously. I stalled out twice and got so aggravated but we made it home after another stall somewhere else... must've blocked that out as I can't remember. ha ha ... Got gardening done, yard is mowed and edged (DH this time), sweltering with the heat/humidity now. Feels like I'm home in Florida. Dinner was smoothie for each of us. I'm taking credits for ordering a la carte so I didn't get the taco that I didn't want with what I ordered ... for being active for hours today ... for just offering smoothies for dinner instead of something else. I did have a few crackers and cheese first but counted that - 130 calories and calling that my snack. Weary now and hoping I sleep in late tomorrow.

I will weigh on Monday morning instead of tomorrow morning - I know I'm all swollen up from the yard work. Hair cut today at a place we just stopped in. Expectations were low, but so far, so good.

Better check in and personals tomorrow.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:24 PM   #215  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post Good.

Coaches

Another good and productive day. Weighted in and the scale is still moving down. 0.4 today. Credit for weighing.

I've tracked my food and all is well. But I dodged a bomb yesterday with Buffalo chicken poutine. Yes, I had that, at a fast food place thinking it couldn't be worse than the burger and shake DH had. Uh, yeah. It was. 22points. I get 38/day right now. I ended up with 60+points but you get an extra 49/week so a big chunk went but I am still on plan. Today I looked things up first. Credit for being responsible for my own choices.

Today I was back at the pottery finishing what I will load into the kiln in the morning. Then I have the rest of the day for the locker. I didn't make it there today. Credit for working and for not overdoing it. This work is not an emergency.

Maryann: it was Ceejay who suggested the mindfulness book. I find the body scan very enlightening. I too try to either skip over or go fast over body parts/areas that are trying to get my attention. I recall being given an exercise to write to the body part that was trying to get my attention. I had to ask it questions I think. Just communicate. I don't remember if I then wrote to myself from the body part's perspective, basically spelling out how things were in my world, but it sounds like a good idea to me. I need to find my book and restart it. Happy you are healing BTW! You will get there, I have no doubt.

Last edited by onebyone; 07-25-2015 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:01 AM   #216  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday - National Parents Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Dinner with friends at a restaurant we've never chosen before. I had pork tenderloin with seasoned mashed sweet potatoes and sautéed veggies. There were no breads served! Food was superb - the juiciest pork I've ever had. They claimed that high-heat wood fire seared the outside and kept the juices in. I suspect some marinade. I was the only person at a table of six who didn't order dessert. I was making a statement to myself that I could do that. It was within my generous restaurant allowance to conclude an on plan day, CREDIT moi.

Walk, CREDIT moi, included watering our community garden. I was trying to water fast to be done before the rain started - feeling how silly that was the whole time. Alas, it threatened to rain all afternoon but never did.

onebyone – Despite many trips to Canada, I've never had poutine of any sort. Now I crave it, LOL. Yep, Kudos "for being responsible for my own choices."

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I hear a hit song in the making, "lost between two shores." Perhaps it's time to make a fortune from your writing skills.

maryann - Congrats for buying grown-up furniture. I do know the feeling of looking around and observing that we'd lived with student hand-me-downs for years. LOL at the thought of your DH laughing at your dancing.

nationalparker – Learning to drive a manual truck in one outing is a big deal - Congrats. Now you'll know how for the rest of your life. Kudos for the taco not taken.

Sandy (love2garden) - LOL at "Sometimes the red peppers never make it into the house" - I know about that.

SuzLen - LOL at "creative person" to eat off plan despite a house full of healthy things. Kudos for your strength training.

howyoulose - Yay for a Groupon for gym time. You get a workout and feel smug at the same time.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 41 Make a New To-Do List

Do these activities as often as needed (once a day, once a week, or less often, but certainly whenever you're in danger of straying from your diet):

My experience has been that many people decide to stop writing down their food plans prematurely. They overestimate their ability to keep their eating in line without using this discipline. So don't be surprised if you find that you've stopped too soon. Don't get self-critical. Just go back to using this strategy when you need to.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 262.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:32 AM   #217  

Good Sunday Morning to you,

National Parents Day??.......I better call the kids and let them know!!

CREDIT for strength training. CREDIT for doing FOUR hours of yard work when I detest yard work. CREDIT for eating reasonably and OP 2/3 meals The hummus knocked me out of the running for the third meal. Yet, who continues to put in the grocery basket???.........

BillBB: Your dinner sounds delicious. Great job resisting the dessert when you were surrounded with temptation.

onebyone: I don't know this scientifically, but when I would occasionally go to restaurants (think fast food) - in the BB days (before Beck) - I noticed calories by each item. What a deterrent. Once I actually left without buying anything because I couldn't stay the thought of consuming 1200 calories on an order of fries. Good for you for looking your food up!

nationalparker: your story had me lol. That is worthy of a sitcom.

love2garden: your loving of gardening I admire. Your yard, it sounds like, is responding in kind

maryann: congrats on the new reclincer - always a treat when you get something new.

howyoulose: great bargain! And don't worry about the others in the gym. I know from previous experience, they are just there for their own lil' ole workouts. Enjoy your sweat out!

Today I have to feed 12 people but can't use things with gluten in the house, so I am baking a frozen lasagna and asked others to bring the side dishes and desserts. Then, since they are all here for a meeting with DH, I am making my DS with celiac something else and I will hold up in my office until their meeting and dinner is over. That is my plan! Lasagna, I am sad to say, is not on my food plan. Oh well........

Have a lovely day y'all.

Last edited by SuzLen; 07-26-2015 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:20 AM   #218  
Green Tomatoes

I had an extra snack yesterday just because the timing of what I planned didn't work. A lot of my problems of recent days have really been logistic ones. The right food isn't available and the wrong food is. I anticipate having that remedied by lunch today. But, of course, it's food. I'll have to get back to making sure that I have the right food available in a day or two. I sometimes resent the relentlessness of it. Credit for posting and for having a good plan for today, including getting my normal lunch routine back in place.

WI: -0.05 kg, Exercise: +30 1050/1300 minutes for July, Food: 70% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 07-26-2015, 10:54 AM   #219  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Suzlen: On yard work, I sometimes tease my husband that I married him for his landscape maintenance men. That is how much I hate working outside in the garden.

I am in awe of all you who garden faithfully and often gleefully.

Oh, I also married my husband for his accountant

Onebyone: I have committed to reading ten pages a day from A Mindful Way through Depression. This is today's quote:
"The most ancient parts of the body make no distinction between the threat of a tiger and internal threats such as worries about the future or memories of the past."

In essence, my anxiety/depression/compulsions are an inappropriate response to what is usually a false signal of threat. I eat to feel safe. I judge my eating and worry that I am bad or flawed or doomed, Then I eat to feel safe. My body responds to the negative cycle and the depression which started out as a mild sadness gets looped in.

The solution is getting out of the thinking loop. I need to act my way out of thinking, not think my way into acting. So my actions today are posting here, taking a walk after I sign off which I don't "want" to do. I will fit in a salad, a smoothie and a homemade V8 today. Weight is 1 pound above ticker. How did I lose four pounds in four days? Maybe that is recovering from the meds. I had to take one last night but today is clear so far.

DS is home and that is a super happy thing.

Last edited by maryann; 07-26-2015 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:10 PM   #220  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches-
well i was open to a new position in my agency but they weren't I am a bit mystified and MIFFED. Maybe I don't interview well? I wish I could just walk away from the agency: I feel undervalued, and I'm in a rut, there is nothing new for me to learn, and I am out of creative ideas. And its not like I have great co workers to make it worthwhile, I'm on my own. It does not help my depression to stay here.

But I have to stay here for a bit longer since we need the health insurance until DH finds a new job. So i'm kind of stuck. I'm going to make a 4-6 month plan to get some new skills somehow, maybe volunteer somewhere, and get out of here after the fall.
I have been eating all sorts of junk and not coping well for a few days, I have the summer blues too!
We had a nice over night with a friend which helped me feel better-although there was very little healthy food available. But that's okay, it was only 24 hours and its over.
I'm still not feeling super motivated but hopefully posting will push me into gear, and its always great to read all the posts here!
Old 07-26-2015, 05:57 PM   #221  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Explain me this: terrible snacking day even though I returned to the Beck Book - picked a chapter that I thought I needed - Stop Fooling Yourself ... it resonated - especially the excuses that either food is free or it's food you paid for so might as well eat it. But I snacked my way through the afternoon. 100 calories here, 200 calories there, 120 calories. Dinner when DH gets home will be mini bbq turkey meatloaves and sweet/spicy sweet potatoes and salad. Ended up weighing today - 2 pounds above ticker and expected that. I need to get out of the mentality that vacation is already starting this week when we don't even leave until Thursday for the weekend trip.

I miss journaling and I keep starting and stopping a few days or weeks later. Then I HATE restarting in a "used" journal, seeing entries saying I'm refocusing, etc., and knowing all the while that I'm going to write the same thing and wonder if I CAN get on track. I miss the excitement of fresh start and commitment and a quick loss for a week or two. I make it hard for myself through stupid choices and just feel like I'm in a rut. When I'm busy, I eat very well, it seems. It's when I have spare time I'm walking to the kitchen and snacking. I'm not buying junk food, but even extra snacks of healthy stuff is still extra calories.

Maryann - I like your line to act your way out of thinking. I keep thinking and planning and then pfft. Then rethink and redo another plan and pfft. I liked it when I kept going no matter when I fell off track and didn't stop and restart at Day ONe every few days.

Bill - MANY credits toi for being the sole non-desserter. Have been enjoying the cardinals at my window feeder. I typically don't feed our birds in the summer but do through the winter, but the cats get SUCH a kick out of the window feeder, and I get a kick out of the cats and the birds at that one, so ... a good deal all around there.

CurlyJax - Sorry to hear that the other position didn't work out. I can understand your being miffed! Do you work a traditional schedule M-F?

Off to start prepping some dinner. Got a good bit dropped off at Goodwill today, did small marketing run, laundry, sheets and a bit of clutter cleanup to do as well. Productive weekend. Hair cut yesterday turned out decent. Phew.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:07 PM   #222  

Height: 5' 2"

Bill Envy that good pork meal you had, that would have been what I would have chosen. Hope I'd also choose no dessert as you did.

National Parker. Nothing like a fresh journal!

Curly Jax Was hoping for you to get position that was better. Go for the upgrade with new skills. May help the depression, too.

Gardening again this evening even tho it is way too hot. One area in back yard is shady, perfect for sitting. Problem is that it faces the veggie garden and the plants that have already finished their season.

I picked up some white Vinca to plant at the edges of the main brick path thru that area. Most are in the ground, came in to cool off and now to go back to finish and mulch that area.

Mosquito has already taken a bite of me, now I'd going to serve my self to some more mosquito so I don't leave a job before it is finished.

Sandy
Old 07-26-2015, 10:31 PM   #223  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Sunday Sunday.

Coaches

Sunday wrap up: moved boxes from locker into studio storage area. Disassembled then reassembled plastic shelving unit as I moved it from locker to other storage space. It was so hot today I came home after that. Tomorrow I will be able to close the locker for good. My apartment no longe looks "normal". But one (or however many things I can honestly manage without burning out) thing off the list for today. Credit.

Did groceries to make food from.scratch this week and for my residency which begins.on Friday. Getting a bit nervous over showing all my work, old new and cartoony. Oh well. Credit for always trying

Foodwise , ok today. Tracked it. Up .8 this morning. Credit for weighing and saying hi here.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:19 AM   #224  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Another day that threatened to rain and never did. My standard Sunday walk became a drive. My standard ploy to ignore the snacks turned into a handful of shortbread cookies. My afternoon snack was large. Ouch! Seems that if I get off track I just slide down it.

Little exercise. I stayed busy finishing up two books so I could take the three books that I've currently got checked out back to the library in one trip. That's the optimizing part of my brain that ignores that walking to the library is one of my favorite things to do. An additional trip on Wednesday would be fun - not a chore. Today's plan is to have ZERO snacks and to get to the gym rain or shine. I could easily drift into the shape of a blimp.

onebyone – Yes indeed, Kudos "for always trying." Yay for end-of-locker day.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Routines work for me. When bushwhacking I don't walk a straight line.

maryann - Thanks for the quote that reminds me that I'm responding as if a tiger was chasing me. In my muddled brain, eating shortbread cookies is good tiger defense.

nationalparker – Interesting thoughts about reading old journal entries. I do miss the joy of birds clustered at a bird feeder since we've stopped all bird food except for thistle in the winter. Kudos for that sent to Goodwill.

curlyjax - Ouch for the realities of work path. Kudos for applying for the new position even though it didn't come through.

Sandy (love2garden) - My late FIL could never enjoy sitting in his garden since all he could see was the work that had to be done.

SuzLen - Cooking food for twelve folks that you don't plan to eat sounds like a challenge. Kudos for four hours of yard work.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 41 Make a New To-Do List

Do these activities as often as needed (once a day, once a week, or less often, but certainly whenever you're in danger of straying from your diet):

Read your Response Cards. You've been reading some of your cards for almost six weeks. These responses are probably firmly in your mind. You can experiment with reading them on an as-needed basis. The moment you start to struggle, though, start treading them daily. DON'T GIVE YOURSELF A CHOICE ABOUT THIS.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 262.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:59 AM   #225  

Thumbs up Yay for Monday

Good morning,

CREDIT for not eating any of the lasagna, bread, or (yummy looking) dessert. I didn't have any of the salad either, as I knew it would take me to the serving table. I fed everyone and quietly slipped into the back while they talked about the things they needed to talk about. I felt a slight tinge of hunger that soon passed. Later I had some yogurt and fruit.

My real challenge will be next week - a full week of professional development meetings. Meetings in rooms at tables that always contain a large bowl of chocolates. I will need a response card for that

BillBB: I commiserate with the downward slide once the gate has been opened. It can be like a flood gate. Good luck with the goal for today.

onebyone: what a hectic day, but full of accomplishment. Good for you.

love2garden: yay for your gardening dedication in the heat. I try to ignore sitting out back just because I see all the work that needs to be done (and the heat and humidity don't make it tempting to do so anyway).

nationalparker: being by myself and not busy is my problem as well. I have noticed it is harder since I returned home because I have my own kitchen, at least on the road I was limited. I also find I go through cycles of cravings, some weeks I am like a little cookie monster and others I have some sense of self-control.

curlyjax: I think it is a great idea to volunteer and/or learn something that you want to learn - good for you!

maryann: what an interesting thought/quote. I will have to ponder that in terms of my own eating habits. I was talking with a relative about how our grandparents and great-grandparents ate. Eating to survive, no processed foods, food from their own land, etc. My, how we have done damage to ourselves over the years with all of our "progress"!

gardenerjoy:
Quote:
I sometimes resent the relentlessness of it.
I was just thinking about that yesterday - but I can't think about it too much or I get overwhelmed and a bit discouraged. One day at a time...

My last week before school starts - Yikes - I will probably waste it somehow and then wish next Monday that I was more productive. I will have to think of a whole new eating plan once school begins. Instead of chugging lunch down while working, I may have to pack up and move to the teacher's lounge for lunch. That, my friends, is going to be a challenge.

Have a great Monday.

Last edited by SuzLen; 07-27-2015 at 07:00 AM.
Closed Thread