Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 02:27 PM   #196  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Well boy did I fall off the wagon yesterday. Not alcohol, didn't have any of that, credit. But lunch was a too large portion of macaroni and cheese that I made to put in the freezer for dh. Then since dh was golfing at dinner time, and I had already nibbled the filling for the stuffed green peppers, I just decided to have some ice cream that I purchased for friends dinner last weekend and forgot to serve. I actually purchased 3 pints for $5. Dh already ate one pint, but he ate it in three servings. Not me, I ate a pint essentially for supper. I did put it back in the freezer between times, but then just got it out and finished it off. The bad thing, I didn't really even regret it. I'll say credit for just letting it go and moving on. This morning I got up and did my regular hike which is about 2 1/2 hours worth, credit, and eating is on plan. Furthermore I feel great and feel like leaving the sweets alone again. I will admit I decided to forego the scale today, but will get back on tomorrow. That third pint, which is mango sorbet and not nearly enticing is going down the drain in a few minutes.

Violette Heck losing the same 5 pounds is what I usually do too, but isn't it better than gaining.

Nationalparker From your description, I can see why you like where you live and are leery of moving. I hope either you both find a perfect place or in dh's looking he sees you are already in a better place that what is available.

Maryann Thanks for letting me know about the Rubicon Trail. I'll have to find out more about it. There are so many places I want to go. My hiking friend, Carrie, is just back from 7 weeks in Europe and we're starting to talk about section hiking the John Muir Trail.

GardenerJoy We all rely on you for your great insight. Hate to put the pressure on you, but don't go away just cause you have a less than stellar day. It doesn't always work for me, but often I just use the "No Choice" card.

Diane The music festival sounds like such fun, enjoy.

Howyoulose My two cents, just think about your health, not just your wedding day appearance. Take it slow and make the changes that you can keep up. Be active and healthy and feel good. I hate to say it, but I think as I've gotten older it's much easier to think of my health rather than my looks.

Bill That's some incline on the TM. The trainer that used to help me sometimes would encourage HIIT training by walking on the TM at a steep incline and getting my HR up to max for a minute or two, and then stepping off to the side rails as the HR came down for two minutes or so and then back on. I kind of do a similar thing with hiking by increasing and decreasing my speed and following my HR.

SuzLen The tator tots sound good. I've noticed they serve them at happy hour dressed up different ways. I'll admit I can't have things in the house that are too appealing.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:09 PM   #197  

Height: 5' 2"

Karen How familiar your first paragraph sounds. Agree, ice cream cannot be in the house that I'm living in. I understand the swinging freezer door situation, too. Still hit bottom of container, right.

Today was full of appointments that kept us sitting and waiting for too many hours. I did get a bit of walking while DH was in one place and I went next door to just roam in AC area. Thought we would have cooler day because last night was great. Coffee on Patio early felt wonderful. Watered all those pots then second cup of coffee to relax and enjoy the flowers.

Learned today again the need to STOP before I'm stuffed. Felt lousy after a lunch that was too large, and too heavy. I've been eating light most of the time this summer so my stomach simply rebelled.

CREDIT, learned my lesson, AGAIN!!!
Old 07-23-2015, 11:09 PM   #198  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Smile Super short

Coaches

Down 1lb to 272.4 today.
Good. Credit.
Checked in.
Good. Credit.

Bye for now.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:58 AM   #199  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday - Amelia Earhart Day (Born 1897)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Dinner on the patio was sheer bliss. Some nine species of birds frollicked about our tiny space. Two American Crows loudly caw'ed their arrival in the large American Elm - unusual in our yard. Five Blue Jays started harassing them, and then a handful of Grackles got into the fray. When it all cleared, the two fledgling Black-capped Chickadees came out of hiding to call for their mom to bring them some food. We had ring-side seats to drama. Green salad was homegrown to finish off an on-plan day, CREDIT moi.

Hiked, CREDIT moi, with DW through Middlesex Fells for two and a half hours. We moved somewhat slowly as DW noted major vegetation changes with minor elevation and sunlight differences. It's hardly aerobic to hike with a plant lover, LOL. (We only saw two different species of birds that whole time.) We stopped to chomp a Kind energy bar which is composed of all good stuff held together by sticky. In the heat, the sticky was even more so requiring much licking to get the hands clean. I got to get back to making a bag of old fashioned Gorp with no sticky.

onebyone – Congrats for down 1. Kudos for checking in.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Interesting that overeating can follow background feelings due to allergies. Beck insists that there's always a feeling before we eat something off plan. I've always looked for a BIG obvious feeling like anger. It's a thought to look at the feelings below the Radar.

maryann - Thanks for, "I let myself be angry and uncomfortable." I always need to be reminded that feelings can be allowed to happen.

nationalparker – Kudos for taking the time to treasure the things that you like about your current house. Good luck working the issue of when to stay and when to go.

Karen (karenrn) - Congrats for the bargain of getting three pints of ice cream for $5. Ouch for the reality of ice cream in the house. A 2 1/2 hour hike is a great response to eating ice cream.

Sandy (love2garden) - Yay for a "second cup of coffee to relax and enjoy the flowers" - just savoring your gardens is just the best. Kudos for letting yourself learn the lesson of avoiding the feeling of stuffed.

Violette_R - Kudos for recognizing that it's been a year of a maintenance cycle. Thanks for your zany avatar reminding me to get myself to the gym.

SuzLen - Ouch for tator tots - addictive little guys. I've tried shirataki noodles. They're OK, but they haven't found their way into our life.

Diane (diane1102) - Smart to plan and pack food for a music festival. Haven't heard of healthy food trucks.

howyoulose - Yay for a good day. LOL at the thought of the bride wearing a paper bag.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 41 Make a New To-Do List

Do these activities as often as needed (once a day, once a week, or less often, but certainly whenever you're in danger of straying from your diet):

Plan and monitor what you eat. Ideally, if you keep up one practice from this program for the rest of your life, this would be it. But if you find this task too burdensome, you can experiment with planning and monitoring in your head rather than writing down your food plan. Try it for a couple of days. If you do well, continue. But the moment you hit a rough patch - whenever you find yourself eating too much - start writing down what you plan to eat and monitor in writing what you actually do eat every day. DON"T GIVE YOURSELF A CHOICE ABOUT THIS.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 262.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:38 AM   #200  

Gooood morning, Beckers!

The scale was up a wee bit yesterday so I was careful. However, note to self, don't drive an hour to Sam's Club when all you ate for breakfast was greek yogurt......

CREDIT for passing by all of the chocolate goodies at the store. Did break down and buy a large tub of hummus....told myself I could portion it into smaller cups so I wouldn't overeat. I can be very convincing

DH called on the way home from the store. He said work brought in pizza and he overate, so not to plan on dinner. Ha! I just made dinner for my youngest as my other DS is on a canoe trip. DH and I both worked out instead of dinner - CREDIT. Shirataki noodles on plan for tonight.....

BillBB: I have said before, and will say again, I think it is lovely you can eat dinner on the back patio and enjoy the nature around you. Thought of you as I bought a large tub of delicious blueberries......

onebyone: keep it up!

love2garden:
I don't know when we stopped learning to listen to our own bodies. Eating until I am stuffed is one of the difficulties I am trying to overcome.

karenrn: I empathize with the ice cream dilemma. I usually just tell myself to eat it to end it all and be rid of the temptation. My DH oversees a plant that makes ice cream, you can imagine my difficulty when he brings home pints of the new runs......

violette: I'm with karenrn, good for you for not gaining!

nationalparker: big decisions, I have never moved unless I was leaving the state. Moving is a hassle, though, no matter how far you move. Are homes selling in your area?

maryann: I hope the mediation brings you comfort and peace.

gardenerjoy: feeling well physically does have a lot to do with eating well. When I had that cold a few weeks ago I ate horrible, which in turn made me feel even worse. Thank you for the reminder card!

diane1102: Yay for a supportive husband! The thought of a food truck, though, makes my stomach churn just a bit......

howyoulose:
good karma your way - all is well.

Don't have an eating plan, per se, because I don't know what I am in the "mood" for. I am beginning to think this will be a huge problem for me, Beck-wise. I have OP food and fixings in the house, but I don't know which I will eat until it is time to eat. I think if I plan for dinner, that will be the most important part because that is the time I would eat off-plan. So, shirataki it is!

Happy Friday!
Old 07-24-2015, 10:13 AM   #201  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

I woke up for the first time since June 1st and thought "I might not need a pain pill today." Wow! I thought I would be overjoyed at this but I am in a grumpy mood. Is it because my body wants the pill? i don't like that idea. Med blogs say my body can become addicted in three weeks. It has been twice that long. And As I have proven with food, I will use anything that makes me feel good. I know I am probably overreacting but maybe I am justifiably cautious. I am a recovering alcoholic and as such have monitored and reduced meds over the past few weeks. Nothing is worth losing my sobriety.

So . . . I took two extra strength Tylenol for the beginning aches. I will go for a walk. I will allow myself to be grumpy because that is what is. One of my advantage cards is "I walk through each feeling with grace and dignity. I do not mask , change or empower feelings that lead me to negative actions."

My weight is way high inexplicably (four pounds above ticker) but all I can change is this moment and this moment is that I have a plan for a salad somewhere today and a smoothie.

nationalparker: I too love my house even though we could afford a more fashionable neighborhood. And in my town at least, the more expensive houses are as likely to be touched by crime as the middle berg I am in.

BBE: Doesn' t gorp have tree nuts? Hmmmmm….

KarenRn: Boy can I understand that series of events with the ice cream. Thank Goodness for a former poster Beverlyjoy who taught me to put dishwater soap in something that I have taken a compulsive bite from. Right now I have a half open can of frosting that has been deemed soap worthy if I even open the lid.

SuzLen: I love a day when I workout instead of eat a meal.

Last edited by maryann; 07-24-2015 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:34 AM   #202  
Green Tomatoes

Still didn't do well yesterday. I have a generous plan written for today and I believe that I can follow it. Credit for still weighing and still posting and still exercising and still reading my Advantages and Responses! These things will get me where I want to go.

WI: +0.2 kg, Exercise: +50 955/1300 minutes for July, Food: 60% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 07-24-2015, 04:59 PM   #203  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Happy Friday! I didn't know it was Amelia Earhart Day! I always found it a bit funny that there is an Amelia Earhart luggage line and thought of ALL things, don't name luggage after someone who never reached their destination.

Very good evening last night. We ended up deciding neither of us was overly excited to hit the free concert, so decided to grill out and dine on the patio. I set the little table (a two-seater), DH grilled Trader Joe's chicken sausages, and we sat down to eat and oddly were joined by a number of yellow jackets. I have a lot of bees on the patio zipping about and like that bc they just go about their business, but these yellow jackets wouldn't depart and we finally moved the meal indoors.

Late night for us - up until close to 4:30 a.m., doing something we've never done before - accessing youtube music and going, "Oh! Remember this one!" 7 a.m. came early. Some songs made me choke up with melancholy memories (Softly, As I Leave You, etc.), while for others I was just nearly bouncing on the bed bursting with excitement bc I'd not heard them in decades.

Scale up this morning, but soup for lunch yesterday was a good call, so I can't gripe. I went to the food trucks at the farmer's market and nothing was what I wanted/wanted to work into my plan. So returned to the office and ate a bowl of soup and called that a major victory for me as I was this close to choosing pizza. Saved money and calories. I'll take a tick up on that, in hopes that I can move it back down soon. If I don't hit Saturday morning where I was aiming, I'll take Monday morning... or just keep on chugging.

It's been a while since I've pulled out the Beck pink book and this weekend I plan to rewrite my advantage card and really think of what I want the rest of the year to be. More importantly, what steps I need to commit to and follow through to see it happen.

Tomorrow is Christmas in July and I want to surprise DH with something fun to open but mind is a complete blank.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:35 PM   #204  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Good afternoon coaches,

Not much to report today. Food on plan and within calories. I had hoped to hike, but it was too darn hot and humid this morning. Exercise was not enough today, housework and physical therapy. Also had a trip to the dentist for teeth cleaning. I'm a tad on the grumpy side because I do not like summer in Arizona. I'm looking forward to leaving, except that I hate to be away from my husband mostly and the dog a close second. Luckily my husband will be flying up a couple of times, but there will be a 3 1/2 week stretch where I won't see him. Almost half of that time I'll be on my backpacking trip. I feel guilty about complaining cause I don't have much to complain about, except the heat!

Tomorrow dh and I are going shopping. He hates to shop even more than I do. However, he has lost a little weight and needs some new slacks and shirt for a couple of functions and some new jeans. His jeans are an embarrassment they are so old and baggy. He wears golf shorts and polo shirts to work so it is difficult to get him out to buy anything else. I need a dress for my niece's wedding, but that may be asking too much to stay long enough for that. We'll see.

Have a good weekend and I'll report back on the success of the shopping trip.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:40 PM   #205  

Height: 5' 2"

NationalParker we've done that, had music from DirectV music channels that brought back so many good memories. Grateful that DH and I grew up in same era, and ironically loved the same music.

In the Restaurant Sunday the sound system had on a powerful oldy that I forgot but would love to know who sang and what is name of the song. Part of the words are . . . "I AM, I CRIED . . . ."

CREDIT: Walked the longest distance in about 2 years. Figure 8 in our development is 1-1/4 mile and I kept saying "I think I can." and I did.
Credit: Gardening some, also and pedometer is above 7,000 steps and still have some time to go.

Love where we've lived since our kids were young and played kick ball in the streets of a new sub development. By the time they were in high school our kids & neighbors filled up the High School/Middle School by ourselves. Wonderful that our kids had so many to enjoy and that I could know more about those friends.

Agree that when we can be outside we love it. Lots of bees with the many annuals around patio, but no yellow jackets yet. Just realized, we don't grill out much any more. Grill is on the West side and evening's are pretty hot in summer.

Sandy feeling very proud of really trying to do what builds health.

Last edited by love2garden; 07-24-2015 at 06:55 PM. Reason: CNANGES
Old 07-24-2015, 08:43 PM   #206  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

?? This??

I Am... I Said
Neil Diamond
L.A.'s fine, the sun shines most the time
And the feeling is "lay back"
Palm trees grow and rents are low
But you know I keep thinkin' about
Making my way back

Well I'm New York City born and raised
But nowadays
I'm lost between two shores
L.A.'s fine, but it ain't home
New York's home
But it ain't mine no more

"I am"... I said
To no one there
And no one heard at all
Not even the chair

"I am"... I cried "I am"... said I
And I am lost and I can't
Even say why
Leavin' me lonely still

That's what popped up immediately when reading!
Old 07-24-2015, 10:57 PM   #207  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post Summertime Blues. Who knew?

Coaches:

If there is such a thing as the summer blues I have them. It feels so unfair. This is my favorite season. August my favorite month, but I just feel so sad. DH and I have no plans for anything special. He just wants to be home after the work week. I'm on my own often. That makes me feel sad and lonely and today I feel unhappy in this town I live in. I don't belong here. I'm not sure where I belong. I've never found the place that feels like home. The closest was Nova Scotia or Vancouver Island. Key West was also a good fit but I am not an American so that's not really a prospect. I also loved the desert. A lot. But not much desert in Canada, though Osoyoos, BC is supposed to be desert.

Anyway. I'm not going anywhere so I just have to find the good and do good where I am. I also need to be good to myself. Today was good. Weighed myself and was 271. Good. Tracked my meals. Good. Did my work in the studio. Good. Made less than exciting decluttering plans for the weekend. Good. Oh and the Diabetes people took a bag of stuff and a large empty suitcase of my hands yesterday evening. Credits all round.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:24 AM   #208  

Good morning,

Well, never say never. I didn’t plan, thinking I would choose from all of the healthy things I have in my house to eat, but lo and behold, I happen to be a creative person and still managed to eat (mostly) off plan yesterday – including some no-no Mexican food that DH brought home from work. Yikes. The scale was not kind to me thing morning.

So – take 2: Write what I need to eat and put a side place for what the family will eat (if they are different) – I actually wrote two things for each meal xxxx OR xxxx. Both of which are on plan. That gives me a little wiggle room, but still a written plan.

I almost feel like I have dual personalities – the crazy food eater and the person trying to be the sane eater. They probably shouldn’t argue with each other in public.

CREDIT for strength training. I would like to think the slight rise in the scale is due to all the muscle I am building, but I’m not lifting that much.

It seems as if there are many of us feeling nostalgic and a bit blue as July winds up. This, too, shall pass. When we wade through difficult times it can make us so much more grateful for the better times. I’m grateful for all of your insights and encouragement. It is good to know we don’t struggle alone.

Have a wonderful Saturday.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:53 AM   #209  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Did gym, CREDIT moi, with minor increases to my routines. Learned about Nepalese singing bowls from a friend who brought in a pair for a demo. It's fun to realize that the others aren't just aerobic machines but actual humans with lives.

Food was askew because dinner was unexpectedly from Wegman's. We got our schedules twisted about so that we ended up outside of Wegman's at dinnertime and just decided to have dinner there. Their spread of food is extensive. I choose too much - buffets and me aren't a good match - with a cold kale salad and green beans as the token real foods to justify the rest. It was my first visit to a Massachusetts Wegmans. Tried to wash it all away by sitting in the dark on my own patio to eat a mango popsicle that DW produced from the freezer left over from some occasion. Just shadows represented all of DW's greenery. A lovely moment.

onebyone – Certainly does sound like summertime blues. And they're masking all the stuff you're getting done such as clearing your storage unit and sending those bags to the Diabetes people. Internet Dr. BBE prescribes that you listen to Neil Diamond's I am ... I said since no one can feel sadder than that man sounds. (Link below.)

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Always Extra Kudos for posting when you don't fully wanna.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Thanks for the lyrics to I am ... I said. Do you ever feel that tension between Colorado and Alaska?

maryann - Yay for a day that can be handled with Tylenol - progress. [Yep, methinks the appeal of Gorp with its tree nuts is my memory of hiking in my 20's eating Gorp non-stop as we climbed the White Mountains in New Hampshire. It's the non-stop in that memory that appeals without the balance of climbing a mountain to burn it off.]

nationalparker – LOL at Amelia Earhart and never-found luggage - can't believe that that thought doesn't prevent everyone from buying it. Love the thought of staying up til 4:30 am goofing off.

Karen (karenrn) - Congrats for choosing a DH who'll go shopping with you, however reluctantly or briefly. My suggestion is that you use the occasion of your niece's wedding to buy yourself a good pair of leather backpacking shorts. It'll give the other guests something benign to gossip about, LOL, and they'll last you a lifetime.

Sandy (love2garden) - Yep, Kudos for "really trying to do what builds health." Thanks for sending me to listen to Neil Diamond's Iam I Said (1988) as I type.

SuzLen - Both you and your DH skipping dinner to work out is so worthy of Kudos. Yep, I know about shopping in the BIG stores when hungry.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 41 Make a New To-Do List

Do these activities as often as needed (once a day, once a week, or less often, but certainly whenever you're in danger of straying from your diet):

You can also experiment with having a general plan about what you're going to eat and then decide before each meal what you're actually going to eat. For example, you might plan to have about a certain number of calories (or a certain portion size) of whatever protein, carbohydrates, and fat you want. But the moment you find yourself eating too much or not eating healthfully, go back to planning in advance. DON'T GIVE YOURSELF A CHOICE ABOUT THIS.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 262.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:18 AM   #210  

S/C/G: 178/172/100

Height: 4'11

Credit for having a protein smoothie for breakfast instead of anything else because I ate far too much yesterday. I will get back on track right away (it was last night before bed).

I'm going to go the gym and use my groupon today (two months for $15!). I have to remember fit people don't care about anything but their workout and their selfies (so says my nutritionist!). Otherwise I'll be too afraid to go.

Last edited by howyoulose; 07-25-2015 at 08:19 AM.
Closed Thread