Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 06:58 AM   #181  

Good morning to all,

CREDIT for eating on plan yesterday. Tried a recipe for a pizza crust made from almond flour that actually was not bad - Youngest DS (with celiac) ate 4 pieces that was loaded with veggies. DH ate 4 pieces as well, so it passed that test. He has been a trooper with my new recipes. But he has lost weight on them - 35 pounds, so he can't complain! My DS who moved back in with us declined, lol. CREDIT for cardio and strength training (even though I am sure I don't push myself as I should).

BillBB:
blueberries won't be around much longer, I say enjoy the fresh ones while you can!

nationalparker: my hopes that today is better than your night.

onebyone: good for you for staying on track despite your emotional grief. Hope today is a good one for you.

howyoulose: you never know when fate is going to push us where we need to go!

maryann: I hope this pinched nerve resolves itself before school starts, I can't imagine what you have been going through.

gardenerjoy: I, too, have more energy when I eat less. I must overeat a lot and have just gotten used to the feeling. My lunches at school have to be incredibly light because I love afternoon naps! - If I eat too much, I feel exhausted.

diane1102: glad life will be bearable at home again - no air makes me cranky.

The calendar is flying by - 1 1/2 weeks before I start back up at school. I can't even go unpack my office yet, floors are still being waxed....my relaxing vacation will end in a mountain of stress if they don't hurry it up!!

Have a great hump day!

Last edited by SuzLen; 07-23-2015 at 06:50 AM.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:40 AM   #182  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Had an interesting trip to Flagstaff. The group was a little older than I am but mainly it seemed their primary goal was a social outing to get out of the heat. Only one other fellow really did the hike that I did. The rest of them may have gone about 1/4 of the way. They were very nice and interesting too. I enjoyed visiting with them, but I new when I saw all the wine on the table, that the hike wasn't the focus of the outing.

I probably had a few more calories than necessary Monday, but more than made up for that yesterday. My weight is stable, not down, but at least not up. The hike was about 8 1/2 miles with over 2000 feet elevation gain that ended over 10,000 feet. I was glad to have slept high the night before, it seems to really help.

The yurt was a modern one with varnished wood floor, a wood frame with like plastic coated canvas sides and a dome shaped sun roof in the middle of the ceiling/roof. There was a wood stove inside if it were cold enough to use it.

Maryann I learned about this trip on a Sierra Club meet up site. Are you familiar with Meetup.com? The Wonderland Trail trip I learned about on Sierra Club Outings. Sounds fun to be in Tahoe City. I think Lake Tahoe might be a good place for dh and I to vacation. Hiking for me, golf for him.

Welcome to Howyoulose!

Nationalparker Do you wait to eat with your husband when he gets home? 8 hours between meals seems like too long. I hate to say it, but I eat without my husband when he is late, like tonight when he'll play golf after work. Then I just visit with him when he eats after he gets home.

SuzLen No wind in Flagstaff yesterday, just a little breeze to keep the hike really comfortable.

Lexxis I hope you're feeling better. I can't believe the pace you maintain, maybe your body just needs a rest.

Onebyone Sorry to hear you're feeling down. An excursion to the land of too much summer fruit seems like about the healthiest too much a person can have.

Bill I wish we had a Whole Foods within walking distance. It is only about a 15-20 minute drive, but I don't seem to get there often.

Today is a get organized day. I have mac and cheese in the oven to put in the freezer for when I'm gone. I'm going to seriously get my backpacking things together for the trip. I'll be leaving in 3 weeks and I hate to be last minute.

Have a great day!
Old 07-22-2015, 11:02 AM   #183  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Suzlen: I went into school yesterday to talk to my boss. I may be needed to pinch hit teaching three periods of 8th grade ELA in addition to my job as lit coach. I have mixed feelings about it. I like the idea of back in the classroom but full time seems overwhelming with my back.

KarenRn: The Rubicon Trail in North Lake Tahoe is the most beautiful hike I have taken bar one in Kauai. totally worth a visit. Fly into reno and it is 45 minutes away.

Food was OP again yesterday but the scale was up. This is always discouraging. I was able to mountain bike a little and walk a lot. I know exercise and elevation change could be the cause but the little girl voice in me cries, "Not fair."

I am in some pain today and I am putting DS on another airplane to visit his aunt in LA. The combination might be bringing me down. I want to use these last 10 days of vacation to their fullest. Maybe I need to meditate about that for awhile.

Walk planned. Food in MFP.

Last edited by maryann; 07-22-2015 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:33 AM   #184  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I did all the things I knew to do to prevent falling of track yesterday – and, I fell off anyway. So, I’m thinking that I don’t know enough things to do. I’m always startled by how many structures it takes to get me to do what I claim I want to do. I didn’t do what I wanted to do yesterday, so I clearly need even more structures.

Fortunately, building new structures requires tasks that I find reasonably pleasant – reading, planning, experimenting. I’m going to start with reading more in The Diet Trap Solution, particularly the section on Getting Off Track.

WI: +1.15 kg, Exercise: +30 865/1300 minutes for July, Food: 60% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 07-22-2015, 03:18 PM   #185  

S/C/G: 178/172/100

Height: 4'11

This weighing myself thing every day is kind of getting to me. Sometimes I'm lower, sometimes I'm higher and on the days I'm higher I feel like absolute **** because all I can think is "That's too high".

But I need to hold myself accountable every single day. GaGhjkdalglsag. It doesn't help that my mother is on my case about losing weight for the wedding every single time we talk. Like, yes I know what needs to happen but it's not that easy.

And I'm afraid there's something wrong with me. Like maybe I won't be able to lose this weight easily. I'm so afraid April is going to come around and I'll still be 168 pounds. The fear is palpable.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:30 PM   #186  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Talking interesting

Coaches

Found an interesting huffpost article here "6 things no one tells women about their weightloss journey".

What they don't say is #7 - it ain't over til it's over and even then it goes on. Maintenance/goal is not the end as many here are showing those of us who are still trying to move the pounds off.

Today this is not discouraging.

Today I feel better about things in general.

Today I had my teeth cleaned (I made the hygienist admit my flossing was improved but she still gave me the not good enough need to do more lecture and said I probably should go to the periodontist due to my extensive bone loss.) Now this "news" made me dread the 2nd part of the appt which was my yearly exam but good news there: no cavities. I remember when that was the goal: look mom! No cavities! Now it's almost a BTW you have no cavities but your teeth may fall out of your head. And the other good news was the boneloss has stopped. It isnt any worse. Yay. Dentist gave me a referral to the periodontist. Probably that will be hideous but after having a friend with dentures visit me a few months back and listening to her lament the change in Poligrip formula with old formula Poligrip going for a hundred on Ebay (that was true. I looked.) I am more inclined to do what it takes within the budget to save my teeth.

Long story short, I think part of the depressed mood I had was anticipating (I am always predicting the future outcome of stuff, not just my weigh-in weight and the results are as "accurate" as ever) bad news re:teeth and feeling doom over that. Turns out good/bad/can still turn things around or at least maintain the status quo with a lot of vigilence and daily work and attention.... hmmmm... ... sounds a lot like weight loss and my weight loss issues. How interesting.

So long story even shorter? There is hope. Keep trying. Don't give up. Find the right solution and combination of actions to take and you will meet your goals.

Imagine all that from the dentist. You'd think I'd look forward to it.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:10 PM   #187  

Height: 5' 2"

howyoulose Please consider recognizing that the number on the scale is simply that: A number. You are far more than that!

OnebyOne Regarding anxiety over our teeth: I have been really anxious with a tooth that not only was aching, then broke, and now it is weeks till I can get it pulled, post put in and let it heal. Finally the cost for a crown. OUCH!

Retirement is great for leaving me some choices on what to do with my time. What is scary is that the income is limited, PERIOD!

Today to Gym for the best workout in ages. Sore now, but proud I did it. Also have over 6,000 steps as well. Lots of errands in the 9 hours I was gone.

I weigh in daily, but the scale doesn't want to go below a certain number no matter that I'm getting adequate sleep, exercise land limited calories. Grrrr.

Mary Ann Hope you are able to work out your schedule so you are not overwhelmed and your pain is improved before your 10 days are up.

Sandy
Old 07-23-2015, 07:06 AM   #188  

Good morning, Diet Coaches!

Food was OP until I snitched some tator tots from dinner.....ouch. The scale cried "nooooooo" this morning as a result.

It's my fault for buying them, but DS saw them when we went to get his GF bread - they are neighbors in the freezer section. Of course I acquiesced. I felt I had the willpower not to eat them. Wrong. Better plan that out better next time

love2garden: good for you for getting to the gym, and having a good workout. Just as good for you mentally as physically.

onebyone: I am slowly coming to the realization that this (striving to eat healthy and be a good weight) is my new normal. There are some things I will never be able to eat again, and that is just a fact I have to face and move on with.

gardenerjoy: your response cards and way of thinking has been helping me a lot. Thank you for your insights.

howyoulose: hang in there, love2garden is right - it is just a number - stay on your plan with consistency. Over time you will see success! April is a long way off, you can do it.

maryann: Yikes, standing for three hours with a pinched nerve.....doesn't sound like fun. Hope the classes work themselves out.

karenrn: Had to laugh that you were there to hike and others were there for a stroll. Glad you had at least one partner to go with.

Today is a trek to Sams Club for some cheese and frozen goodies. Tonight I am trying shirataki. With reluctance, but at the same time with great hope. Anyone else eat them?

Have a great Thursday!!

Last edited by SuzLen; 07-23-2015 at 07:07 AM.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:10 AM   #189  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Did gym, CREDIT moi, incrementing the tread mill to a 15 degree grade just to see how it felt. I had to hold the bar to stay on. I accept that that's a serious exercise to be done in small bursts.

Lunch was an unexpected, unplanned wake/celebration of the recent death of the father of a friend. I only did fair. The piece of cold salmon that I served myself was larger than necessary; my reluctance to break a piece in half wasn't necessary. The salad contained more croutons and grated cheese than a pizza. I'll take CREDIT moi for skipping some appetizers just dripping with calories. But I had some 'one-bite' brownies as if 'one-bite' made them OK. I did get to chat with some friends and with the widow who I've met before. Just one of those occasions that seems to happen in life.

onebyone – Good advice in that article - especially "is not a straight line." Ouch for the reality of our teeth as we age. I've watched several older folks, with a lifetime of excellent dental hygiene, lose teeth as their jaws just gave up. Kudos for going to the dentist rather than hiding.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I always enjoy reading the instructions that come with a new toy before putting it together or plugging it in.

maryann - (ELA?) Understand the pain at letting your DS head off to L.A. Hope your back continues to heal itself.

Karen (karenrn) - Shuddering at the thought that you "hate to be last minute" for an event that's three weeks away. Neat that sleeping high helped you acclimate for your hike at 10000 feet.

Sandy (love2garden) - Kudos for "the best workout in ages" - sounds neat.

SuzLen - Yay for experimenting with Almond flour; I've never had that. I didn't know that schools started in August.

howyoulose - Ouch for having anyone with an opinion about your body - even if, or especially if, it's your mother. Another thought is that you're going to get married at whatever weight your body is and that's just fine.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 41 Make a New To-Do List

Do these activities between once a day and once a week:
  • Weight yourself at least once a week (daily, if you prefer).
  • Discuss your weight change and dieting experiences with your diet coach at least once a week.
  • Do planned exercise at least three times a week.
  • Continue to make sure that you have enough time and energy to devote to dieting.
  • Read your Advantages Response Card as needed.
  • Use anti-craving techniques.
  • Use the Seven Question Technique when you're upset.
  • Prepare yourself psychologically for special-occasion eating.
  • Do problem solving to reduce stress.
  • Take steps to enrich your life.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 261.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:29 AM   #190  

S/C/G: 178/172/100

Height: 4'11

Thanks everyone. It's true, it is just a number and I'm worth more than that. Of course the number was lower today, thank god. Probably because I didn't binge considerably yesterday.

The point is: I am getting married and that's what matters. Not my weight or my dress. I love this man and I would marry him tomorrow in a paper bag if that's what he wanted. I have to remember that.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:27 AM   #191  

Default Weighing in

Hi all. I had my WW weigh-in last night. I was down .2 from the week before. Then I get on the scale this morning and I'm down a whole pound. I'm thinking I was just full of water before my WI. I know that it all works out in the end and one moment in time doesn't mean much.

We are going to a music festival this weekend. So DH and I worked out our food planning so we can pack good things so I don't have to eat from the food trucks. (He will, but I don't want to.)

Have a great day everyone!
Old 07-23-2015, 10:57 AM   #192  
Green Tomatoes

I didn't do well again yesterday. My normal pattern is to drop out about now -- stop weighing and stop posting for a week or two (or six). I want to try something different this time, even if it is embarrassing to keep posting that I'll do better today and then not be able to do it.

Yesterday, I read the section in the blue book on "The I've Blown It Trap." I feel like I'm even more recalcitrant that her example client, but I'll see if I can make this work. It's mostly about analyzing mistakes and I think I can do that.

This morning, I read the section on "The Self-Criticizer Trap." I feel like I'm even more perfectionist and more prone to failure than her example client, but I'll work on giving myself credit and on not beating myself up for mistakes.

I also want to acknowledge that the mold count is high so allergy malaise may account for some of my lack of functionality, including my inability to follow my food plan. This response card may help:

Quote:
Overeating when I don't feel good adds to the list of symptoms and increases my misery. Eating healthy foods in healthy amounts allows me to feel the best that I can.
WI: +0.4 kg, Exercise: +40 905/1300 minutes for July, Food: 60% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 07-23-2015, 11:12 AM   #193  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Another up on the scale. I can commiserate with howyoulose. In the dumps about it then I thought, "This is a problem you can do something about as opposed to the pain issues I have." So I will do just that. I have today, food in MFP with walk planned probably at the gym because of heat. Did meditation cd from onebyone's "Mindful ways through Depression" It was stunningly apparent as I worked through "the body scan" that I do not want to be in my body at all right now. Everything aches. I am angry with my body. So I let myself be angry and uncomfortable. I am going to commit to this meditation for the whole week to see what else I learn.

BBE: ELA is English/Language Arts.
Diane: Credit for the loss and the planning.
SuzLen: Eating with family is always harder than eating alone.

Last edited by maryann; 07-23-2015 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:45 AM   #194  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Not a great day yesterday but was in a bad mood and thought I should keep to myself a good deal. Staff outing in the afternoon had perfect weather and was pleasant. DH and I resolved lingering grumbliness in the evening. We bicker so infrequently that I think it really resonates with each of us when we do.

My point was why did he go looking at property/homes/areas without me AGAIN and his is that he feels we need to move before long to avoid what we can of the crime creeping into our area. We are the buffer between the NICE homes and the crummy area. I love everything about my small home except things that are fixable (carpet)...well, except that we don't have room to expand in our yard for a vegetable garden or a shed. I treasure the sunsets nearly every evening as my west view is over a field, no houses in the "way". I enjoy my neighbors - a good group but not intrusive. When I open my windows, I hear birds and crickets. I don't hear anything industrial except a car here and there. At night we hear coyote in the field. Yet in 20 minutes we're at city center and able to enjoy theatre or concerts. Bottom line is there are a lot of things that are important to me for enjoying life and I worry that I won't find that and will be in a place I love less. We'll see.

We ended up eating out bc of time and desire. Ate more than I needed bc I left feeling FULL but in checking calorie counts online, I did better than I thought.

howyoulose - That is a good thought to keep in mind - that you're getting married and that is more important than specifics on the day itself. Don't allow others to frenzy you up about anything relating to that day's details. It will come and go in the same 24 hours that will pass when you're sitting bedside in a hospital with someone. Your wedding will be a celebration and no one should give a #$%^&* at what anyone looks like, other than her/himself. I wish I had been in better shape when I got married, but it certainly didn't dim any of the joy we felt.

Joy - Hang in there! You've just seen a new low for this year. I think that has something subconsciously to do with it. Maybe instead of aiming for a good food DAY, know that you'll have a good breakfast and lunch and snack. Then you've kicked butt on 2/3 of the day. I'm looking to YOU as a guide bc I keep saying I'm going to get to X or Y and then can't meet a goal two weeks in a row. You keep on keeping on and motivate me. Thank you for that!

Bill - Sounds like it was quite a spread at the wake; and also sounds like you did better than you think! They say to calculate a bite at 50-75 calories and even a couple of brownie bites won't take you down. And it makes me feel good to know I'm not the only one who finds small desserts irresistible now and then. Of course, this is as I'm gathering the ingredients to make mini iced vanilla bean scones - thought that'd be nice on Saturday morning for neighbors and postman. I have to think that way or I'll think they're all MINE.

Diane - NOT fair is what I'd be thinking on the scale. Years ago I went to WW and a member flirted with a milestone for weeks and finally made it and then at the end of the class revealed she'd taken a water pill/diuretic. That moment showed me the importance that I award that dang number, and we're not alone!!

SuzLen - I like the new normal thought process! Sometimes I still think of it as temporary..."when I get to where I want" because for a decade I was fine after losing weight. Past few years, not able to make much progress or more accurately, not putting in the work to make much progress if I'm honest. But if it's something that I really enjoy, I'm eating in moderation but not cutting completely ... It's the too-large portions of mundane things that seem to do me in. The things I LOVE, I monitor more. Backwards.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:11 PM   #195  

S/C/G: 155/152/125

Height: 5'4"

So, I'm pretty much the exact same weight and dress size I was a year ago. I've been dieting for a year and just lost and regained the same 5 or so pounds over and over again.

You can probably imagine that I am not super psyched about this.
Closed Thread