Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 05:57 AM   #301  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Streaked to 99 by eating on plan including no snacks, CREDIT moi. I arrived at my book club having completed our book which had the wonderful benefit of not having to fake it, LOL. I had planned to have one small dessert at the pot luck but the gods smiled on me - the spread was all salads and entrees. So I had a second salad. I was eating with a bunch of thin vegetarians and noted that I ate the least so I'll take that as confirmation that my portion sizes are not out of bounds. I skipped the good breads (including being asked to take home some remainders), cheese, and lasagna to avoid unneeded calories.

Walked, CREDIT moi, in the cold. I was passed by a young man walking his dog to remind me that I sometimes forget that my goal is to take a brisk walk. Waddling along is good exercise but not the full cardio that I want.

onebyone – Knowing smile at "some days are just hungrier than others." Lego movie sounds fun. Kudos for taking your reward.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I wish that I didn't get so much pleasure from seeing the scale drop since it suggests a long, boring life of maintenance. [Methinks you might enjoy the book being quoted. It's some 100+ essays of four pages each by notables who've chosen one "Deep, Beautiful, and Elegant Theory of How the World Works."]

CeeJay - Kudos for posting when you don't feel like you're winning, and Super Kudos for "am going to keep on trying." My take is that someone who's packing their dinner for the hotel on a business trip is winning and deserves to take credit for that.

Cheryl (seadwaters) – Kudos for "took care of myself today" when that's what's needed. Hope you get to feeling better.

maryann - Cheers for rain. As a consumer of California's cornucopia, I'm delighted. Happy sitting for 24 hours.

ladym0208 – Kudos for doing the food experiment in the presence of a pushy cook. My only trip to Africa was to Tanzania where I observed that people weren't hungry but had a heightened sensitivity to wasted food. (It's still hard for me to believe that the remarkable clear sky over Tanzania was even related to the one at home.)

nationalparker – Yay for having your walking partner join your eating plan.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Planning for a single slice of pizza is neat. Yay for having a table of food devourers so you aren't tempted to finish up the remainder.

flnu - Yay for good tired. You might choose to accept your coach's appraisal of your tennis skills to practice feeling good about yourself.

Readers - Diverting from our normal quotes from Dr. Judith Beck because the world’s favorite Nobel-winning neuroscientist offers a cogent summary of the world’s favorite psychologist, whose work is the basis for what we're doing here.
Quote:
PLACING PSYCHOTHERAPY ON A SCIENTIFIC BASIS: FIVE EASY LESSONS

In the 1960's, Aaron Beck changed all that by introducing several major obvious but nevertheless elegant and beautiful innovations:

...Second, Beck introduced a new short-term, evidence-based therapy he called cognitive behavior therapy.
. . .

Eric R. Kandel in This Explains Everything, Edited by John Brockman, pg 293
Old 02-27-2014, 10:11 AM   #302  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi coaches!

Streak goes to 24 and I see a new all time low on the scale. Coincidence? I think not. Today could be the last full day at the project....with tying up a few loose ends tomorrow. I've been up already just stopped on the way home to p/u DH and have morning smoothie.

Sumo Mandarins at Wfoods! Spendy but I so enjoyed my first one last night.

I look forward to being back to normal very soon!
Old 02-27-2014, 10:49 AM   #303  
Green Tomatoes

Credit for skipping ice cream and eating my planned bread pudding instead. It shouldn't have been a difficult choice since it was under freezing yesterday. But I had to run an unexpected errand and the one treat I still allow myself while running errands is a scoop of ice cream in a cup (in place of a planned snack). So, I thought about it, but the bread pudding was a much better choice on many counts including that it was more satisfying on a cold day.

3Ws (Weigh, Write a food plan, Write a post) streak: 24 Credit!
WI: -0.25 kg, Exercise: +45 1320/1400 minutes for February, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: I requested This Explains Everything from the library -- thanks!

Sending healing energies to seadwaters and hugs to CeeJay.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:17 AM   #304  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Superquick check in today, as I have deadlines in abundance to manage right now... Missed m y checkin yesterday. Bummer.

Yesterday I was headed in an off-plan direction and DH helped me revise my plan so I hadn't blown it by 9 AM. Good PT session today.

NO CHOICE seemed to help with deadline partially. I still have lots of work left to do in order to meet it, but I am happy I've made some progress.

NationalParker, yea for being close to 199. I hit it Sunday, but then had a bounce back up on Monday. I'm pretty confident that will resolve itself in a few, provided I don't let my stress get the better of me. I'm glad your DH is joining you on your health journey.

MaryAnn, I think at your meeting, you just wanted to be prepared for a quick exit! I'm glad you seem to be in a better place the last few days.

AZTricia, I find it interesting the "limits" that these apps let us use for goals or plans. Mine (BodyMedia) has similar limits. Can't wait to read how you masterfully maneuvered around the extra slices of pizza we don't need.

OnebyOne, yahoo! Almost to goal #2!

Rosebud170, I'm glad you seem to back in the swing of things at school.

LadyM0208, awesome news that your mom and aunt are well enough to go home!!!!!

SeaDWaters, glad read you were back on track with food after those potato sticks got the better of you. I hope you are feeling better today and that PT goes well.

Lexxiss, hope you are doing well in spite of being "in the grind". Hang in there.

ForMyGirls, great job for keeping food on plan in spite of missing exercise. Hope weigh-in brought you great results!

BillBlueEyes, mmmm, flounder. I wonder if it seems so good to me not because I'm not supposed to have it any longer (like dieting...). 100 is coming soon!

Flnu, yay for tired after an intense tennis lesson! Hope the recovery goes swiftly!

GardernerJoy, very insightful about benefits on weighing.

CeeJay, hang in there! You can get back on track!!! You've got this and we are totally confident in you!
Old 02-27-2014, 02:52 PM   #305  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Hello coaches!

Survived pizza night, and with only one piece, though it was scary there for a while! Pizza, though tasty, is just not as filling as a meal with higher protein and fiber. I did stop and purchase fresh tortillas and we had fish tacos for lunch. They were tasty, but next time I'll add more spice. This is my "busy" day, off to the doctor soon then I have to prep a fruit/veggie tray for tonight's social.

Eating OP
Exercise ? - I'll have to see how it goes as I'm out so much today

maryann Hurray for smoothie and salad, lots of fiber and vitamins! Best of luck with eating sitting, you can do it!

CeeJay Welcome back, hope you are able to be OP today as it will make you happier and feel better.

ladym0208 So glad you were able to see your mum. Kudos for doing so well with day 17 and being in better shape. Hurray for healthy snacks.

seadwaters Sorry to hear you are not feeling well. Hope today is much better. Kudos for taking care of yourself.

BillBlueEyes WhooHoo for 99 Your resistance muscle is inspiring. Thanks for the reminder that walking briskly is better.

Lexxiss Kudos for 24 and an all time low!

gardenerjoy Hurray for sticking to plan! Bread pudding sounds yum!

FutureFitChick Hurray for revised plans and a good PT session. Kudos for progress in your deadline. I had to add a couple ounces of chicken breast to dinner and veggies/fruit also to be a balanced meal...wondering if pizza is worth the trouble? At least purchased pizza. If I make it with whole grain crust it would probably be much better health wise, but we are out all afternoon Wednesdays and the boys look forward to pizza.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:23 PM   #306  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up op today

Coaches

Walked 3+ hours at the art gallery today. *credit* plus to the subway and from the subway. Lots of walking, lots in bitterly cold weather too. This winter is just not giving us a break. Wow.

While I could not totally plan I did stick to my no sugar rule and as 3 of the four of us ate a very special buttertart at the gallery, I "made due" with a cappucino-no sugar-and it was awesome. I did not regret not having the treat even though I had to turn the thing down 4+ times!!! They were still talking about how good it was on our way home. And I still didn't care that I didn't have any. *credit* for resistance muscle in the brain and the brawn.

I did pack 2 pre-measured pieces of cheese in my purse and ate those so I did the right thing and arrived home not completely famished. I finished my soup (yay new soup to make!) and tracked all my food. I am great for the day.

*credit for weighing today: 265 exactly. I couldn't justify a goal reward at the gallery shop. I will wait to see 264 on the scale. (I did get a nifty book though! http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...interview.html I haven't even taken the shrink wrap off---too excited and wll need to pour over it. I will wait for tomorrow when I have plenty of time to myself.)

Have a good night y'all.

AZtricia Wow really big credit for stopping at one slice of pizza! Awesome. I love fish tacos. What kind of fish do you use to make yours? And how do you cook it up?

FutureFitChick Great job reversing course and re-gaining your OP status! I find No Choice to be very helpful too.

gardenerjoy Credit for choosing one treat over another for very sound reasons ie. consciously. I am interested in BBE's book recommendation too. We'll probably be reading it at the same time.

Lexxiss Excellent news that tomorrow may be last full day at project. Enjoy that spendy Sumo Mandarin! You earned it! *Credit*

BillBlueEyes Kudos for doing your reading homework and showing up to your group prepared - also prepared to resist snacky things only to find an easier softer road. Awesome. Your streak count is fabulous. Will check in for the milestone day tomorrow!

seadwaters I hope you're on the mend. Sending good thoughts your way...

ladym0208 Credits x 3 for eating 3 meals and leaving food on your plate each time! Also happy to hear you got a chance to connect wiht your mom. You must be feeling great relief that all is well. *kudos galore* for not eating over the stress.

CeeJay Credit for coming back to us and posting. Sending you "on track" vibes

maryann Great news about the rain. How did the sitting for 24hrs go?

have a great evening.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:28 PM   #307  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Credit for an OP day, despite a work request this morning that said I should have been told but we need all this by tomorrow. Yowsers. Regrouped and should be close after hours on that alone. Surprised , in a way, that I stayed op.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:10 AM   #308  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Thumbs up Much improved

Hi Coaches

Much improved today thanks - a bit wishy-washy but otherwise functioning. My food today evolved a bit - knew I had to eat something before PT at gym so had small breakfast. Knew I was going to fish shop to get dinner - and there was more mackerel so that solved dinner. And I suddenly decided to make a tomato soup for lunch because it is wet and somewhat cool, but it is so humid you still manage to be hot half the time.

Had a very strenuous PT session and I think he at last grasped that I have marked weakness in my right leg. By the end I actually couldn't walk on it because it had turned to jelly. But I saw that as a positive. He made suggestions about what I can do at home if work gets out of control and I can't take the extra time to go to the gym. I know it will happen this Sunday and I won't make it out, so I have an alternative. I feel as if I can make some progress - slowly (not good at patience but no choice really)

Maryann - Hope sitting down went well for 24 straight

CeeJay - you will get back on track - and posting is the start of that. So glad you did! It's not dramatic but it is drama - the day to day battle that we all seem to have with food. I just accept it now and keep trying to move forward a little at a time

Ladym0208 - So glad you got to talk to your mum and know that your aunt is also OK. Credit for leaving food on your plate. And credit for accepting the local custom of generously and repeatedly offering food by repeatedly refusing it

BillBE - can't wait for tomorrow - will be here to see 100 roll round (we [which hemisphere - western / eastern? Only good on N & S] will get to see it first!). Credit for doing your book club homework. I often have to remind myself to step up the pace a notch as I amble about mindlessly behind the dogs.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - great streak to 24. Congrats on a new low - awesome. Good luck with wrapping up the last project - you won't know yourself.

Gardenerjoy - great to have 2 snacks locked and loaded and only choose one! I too have ordered This Explains Everything. No library has it so the Book Depository came good - so cheap there! BillBE will have started a run on the book stores worldwide

FutureFitChick - Fabulous that your DH helped you snatch OPness from the likelyhood of OffPness - teamwork. Yay for progress on your deadline - just keep hacking away

Tricia (fromAZ) - You do well to survive pizza night - pizza is so in-your-face you do very well to restrain yourself. Wishing you good progress to sort out your health issue

Onebyone - huge credit for refusing a treat and not feeling in the least deprived - that is progress. And for carrying food to ward against getting over hungry. The weight loss is grand. Hope it warms up soon

Nationalparker - you did well to stay on plan in the face of the unexpected work demands - credit
Old 02-28-2014, 04:18 AM   #309  

Good morning coaches,

It is a lovely sunny day here in Cyangugu. I am just home from teaching and it was one of those lessons that make everything worth it!!! The students were so very keen to learn and I loved it.

My credits for yesterday;

• Leaving food on my plate at lunch time
• Adding vegetables to my meal at lunch time and not going for seconds
• Going for a walk after lunch to enjoy the weather
• Stopping myself from having more pineapple at dinner as I was not longer hungry

seadwaters Well done for giving it your all in your PT session
nationalparker Well done for an OP day
onebyone Well done for all your walking, especially as it was so cold!
AZtricia Well done for surviving pizza night and with only one slice!
FutureFitChick Good luck with those deadlines, nice to see NO CHOICE being used for other areas of your life
gardenerjoy Well done for skipping ice cream
BillBlueEyes I have heard so many great things about Tanzania, were you there on holiday or working?

Have a great OP day xx
Old 02-28-2014, 05:33 AM   #310  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday - We won't miss February Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Did gym, CREDIT moi, sadly learning that my Thursday Zumba-light class has been dropped from the schedule. Seems that each time a new gym opens the other gyms change their schedules to stem the flow of customers. Or whatever. Maybe I'll finally bite the bullet and take a Spinning class which I've avoided because the participants all appear to be in excellent cardio condition. If I like that, I could buy myself a new bicycle and start taking long rides.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, including a cold Quinoa dish that was killer good with dinner. The only snack was a California Navel Orange for evening snack, so the snacks-on-plan streak goes to 100. Yay for the brain's joyful response to round numbers. (If humans had sixteen fingers, I'd only be at 64, LOL.)

onebyone – Very Special Kudos, indeed, for standing down that "very special buttertart." Smart move to have planned cheese to stave off feeling critically hungry. Your book looks uber fun.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for out-thinking tradition and choosing your snack.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – LOL at "Coincidence? I think not." Yep, your scale knows what's been going down. Will look for Sumo Mandarins.

Cheryl (seadwaters) – Ouch for it taking a jellied leg to convince your trainer. Glad you got some good exercise ideas out of it.

FutureFitChick – Yay for choosing a DH who'll help you stay your path.

ladym0208 – Celebrating with you that moment all teachers sweat for when the students just click. [The family trip to Tanzania was for pure joy - to encounter Africa and its remaining wild game. Meeting an Oxford educated Maasai in the bush scrambled my brain that all's not what I had assumed.]

nationalparker – Yep, Kudos for staying OP in the face of a surprise deadline.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Kudos for stopping at one slice of pizza. Double Kudos for realizing that it doesn't really compare to "a meal with higher protein and fiber."

Readers - Diverting from our normal quotes from Dr. Judith Beck because the world’s favorite Nobel-winning neuroscientist offers a cogent summary of the world’s favorite psychologist, whose work is the basis for what we're doing here.
Quote:
PLACING PSYCHOTHERAPY ON A SCIENTIFIC BASIS: FIVE EASY LESSONS

In the 1960's, Aaron Beck changed all that by introducing several major obvious but nevertheless elegant and beautiful innovations:

...Third, Beck manualized the treatments; he wrote a cookbook, so method could be reliably taught to others. You and I could in principle learn to do cognitive behavior therapy.
. . .

Eric R. Kandel in This Explains Everything, Edited by John Brockman, pg 293
Old 02-28-2014, 09:41 AM   #311  

S/C/G: 194 / ticker / - 5 lbs

Height: 5'7"

Hello to all,

Everything seems to be going unremarkably. Friday weigh in: lost two pounds. Yay! Exercise streak goes to 47. All of February has a big X on it. I will be on back to back vacation then work travel so I likely won't be able to post until the end of next week. I am thinking about all of you, and wishing you a wonderful week.

Last edited by flnu; 02-28-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:58 AM   #312  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post bitter cold=bitterness

Coaches

Horrendously cold this morning. Again. Weather prognosticators claim it will last until next Wednesday. phooey. They are also predicting a colder than normal March. What else is new?

DH was super crabby this morning. He now forbids me from doing his laundry as it lingers in the laundry basket and he can't find it. This made me super crabby and I burnt his breakfast and handed it to him sans eggs. This made us both crabbier. Plus I get to stay home and he has to go to work... all in all a really yukky start to the day. Thankfully this kind of thing is super rare as well. Things would *feel* so much better if the weather would let up a little. After work the guys are going out to celebrate a co-worker's pregnancy (one of the guys). They are going tonight as his fiancee is out of the country... if she were here she would forbid it no doubt! She's pretty tough on him and he loves it (I think!).

So I was crabby (no surprise) to see 266.1 on the scale this morning. Oh well. I need to do that WATP workout today. It seems I really *need* the cardio to get that scale moving. I may as well really accept this weight isn't going to go down without the exercise. But, fortunately, you are supposed to exercise as you age (aging makes me feel crabby!).

Anyway better get going. I need to make a plan for today.

Will check in later.

EVENING CHECK-IN:

Spent the day mostly on the couch with a cat sleeping on me. I had no desire to do a thing and didn't make myself fight the feeling. Tomorrow will be a busy day. I made my soup/stew but had a tough time stopping myself from taste-testing it. I did track it but it put me over my count for the day. Drat. I will take credit for my no sugar streak: 11.
*credit for tracking, posting and cooking from scratch.

Last edited by onebyone; 02-28-2014 at 11:01 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:20 PM   #313  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Well, clearly Donut Friday was too much of a temptation today. After several days of being OP, I waited it out, and finally gave in as part of my lunch. Still counting it as 300 calories, I'm doing okay since lunch was too small. A+B=C? hm. Now it's clear.

Challenge will be staying on track while alone during the day and working from home all weekend. Hot tea shall be my go-to option to be comforted.

Dad's lung biopsy is on Monday and at the rate things are crawling, I'm not planning on any news soon. Frustrating but out of my control.

Hang in there, OneByOne. Your breakfast for DH made me laugh, I confess. In our home, I get too frustrated with my pants going in the dryer, despite me saying, "I'LL do them." And I need to step back a bit. Sounds like he does as well

Bill - oh, ye of the 100-day streak! This is amazing! Rock on

Last edited by nationalparker; 02-28-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:04 PM   #314  
Green Tomatoes

A 70% OP score doesn't sound very good, but I'm happy with it. It's the first time in a while that I've been imperfect while still feeling in control. That's a skill that works well for me in the long run.

I'm going to keep tracking my streak of 3Ws. I met my goal of doing it for the rest of February (starting on the 4th) and I just ordered Bartlett's Roget's Thesaurus for my reward!

3Ws (Weigh, Write a food plan, Write a post) streak: 25 Credit!
WI: -0.3 kg, Exercise: +45 1365/1400 minutes for February, Food: 70%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: congrats on reaching fun number 100!

onebyone: I hope your WATP exercise boosted your mood -- it usually works for me!
Old 02-28-2014, 05:19 PM   #315  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Happy Friday Coaches!

Lost another pound today. The social went well, but late so I am very tired today. I was not hungry so I decided to not even eat veggies, instead had a cup of tea. Today has been crazy because I forgot to mark a big event on our calendar...rush, rush, rush...went to see Fiddler on the Roof, pup is now nicly groomed, and the house is clean! All before 3:00. I am so pleased with the new groomer, she is very sympathetic to rescue dog's fears of grooming and was so good with Teddy. He looks much nicer also...updated my picture! Boys have one more event tonight, so I think I will just walk for exercise today as I need to prep an early dinner.

Exercise and Eating OP

onebyone
Hurray for lots of walking and you get extra burnt calories for the cold! Awesome for pre-planning the cheese yesterday. Bummer for the stinky start to the day, hope you are feeling better.

nationalparker Kudos for OP despite stress yesterday! Bummer about the donut today, but as long as it is not daily and you count the calories it doesn't derail you. Wishing you an awesome and OP weekend.

seadwaters So glad to hear you are feeling better. Sounds like eating before PT was wise and the rest of your day is healthy too. Kudos for a great PT session, it is good to hear he is understanding your needs better and making helpful recommendations.

ladym0208 Hurray for leaving food, having extra veggies and walking! Lovely strong resistance muscle @ extra pineapple!

BillBlueEyes Kudos for exercise at the gym, bummer about your Zumba class. I did buy oranges and they are great, had one for lunch. Awesome for 100!

flnu Unremarkable is usually good here! Kudos for the two pounds lighter. Wishing you a great week as well.

gardenerjoy 70% is still passing, great job on your continued streak and exercise.

Last edited by AZtricia; 02-28-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Closed Thread