Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 01:12 AM   #181  

Good morning coaches

My credits for yesterday.....

- getting some spontaneous exercise - again another walk
- Finding a place where I can get semi skimmed milk instead of whole. I was so happy about this as its another way I can cut back and believe me t was a real find as all the shops I've perviously tried only stock whole milk
- My after dinner treat was a lollipop and the shop I went into sold them in packets of two, rather than trying to keep the second one until next time (major temptation) I gave it away as soon as I brought them
- Sticking to plan and making one for today
- The portion of rice I had shared myself for dinner looked a bit bigger than 1 cup so I made sure to leave some on the plate - I am usually a member of the clean plate club.

littlefatman Well done for stopping at 2 and for finding a healthier way to de- stress
bethFromDayton Keep going one day at at time and you will get there, no one can ever be perfect all the time
Rosebud170 well done with your exercise routine
onebyone well done for staying n control at the buffet
AZtricia well done on your loss & thanks for your words of encouragement

Thanks all, have a great day xx
Old 02-18-2014, 03:05 AM   #182  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Smile Tuesday night

Hi Coaches

Credits: walked this morning, food within boundaries in strange places; planned dinner and ate on plan. Exercise was walking from the car to three different health appointments. Walked the dogs again this evening to post box. logged food in MFP. Reported to my coaches

My weight is crazy - yesterday I was down a pound, today down 2.4 more (notice I changed my ticker in indecent haste - I saw that weight so I am claiming it!). I think it is because I have finished that last bit of prednisone. But I saw the rheumatologist this morning (first appoinment of those 3) and she says I might have to go back on it. I am holding off until I see her again in six weeks. I really want to get off it but I will see how much pain I get. It helps to see weight coming off when you are striving so hard. I probably need to eat a bit more but my appetite is down (for normal food - not triggers like sweets and chocolates etc) without the steroids. Now she wants me to go on treatment for osteoporosis and I am resisting there as well. Will think about it and read about it - the spinal compression fracture was the clincher apparently. Anyway enough whinging - will see how I travel. The other medical appointment went well and no further follow up required at the moment but they will keep a watch on it at the usual annual check-up in a few months - so that is a relief (as Gardenerjoy said - a few of us are cancer survivors - and I am yet to hit the 5 years in remission landmark. There are always blips along the way). I am just hoping that my metabolism is starting to get back to normal after all these assaults

BillBE - pineapple is a fitting snack for someone who has streaked to 89 NOT eating snacks
CeeJay - glad you are back on the horse. It might take a few goes but we all get there in the end. Glad you are planning an on plan day;
Gardenerjoy - ouch for your fall and credit for getting right back up and doing exercise to loosen up. LOL at exercising free will in eating whatever you want. I like your reasoning that you can be 240 pounds with all the associated problems anytime you like - your choice. I have to remember that - no one is making me do it;
Debbie(Lexxiss) - credit for the flexibility to change your plan as needed. I do like Amy's anything really - we actually get that here;
FutureFitCHick - down with faulty technology - enough to ruin any meal. Credit for doing your PT which is probably pretty important. I know when I had my knee replaced I had to keep on top of the exercises even though it made me nuts
Tricia (from AZ) - yay for 1 pound lost. Yay for sore from a workout! Well done! Sounds like you have uncovered the dog's problem with its foot - hope all goes well. Credit for planning to have a treat in your day's food. Thanks for explaining the rocket launching day! Glad the dill pickles are good - by the time I tried to do them here the gherkin pickles were out of season as were the grape leaves you needed. Will need to wait till next Spring I think
Onebyone - good luck with restarting exercise gently tomorrow and accepting it is a step-by-step process. I need to focus on that and stay in the zone
Rosebud - p90x3 sounds pretty interesting and you seem to be taking full advantage of it. Yay for fitting those PJs - hope you enjoy snuggling up
Beth(from Dayton) - Ouch for not feeling motivated, for not feeling "it" right now, and just coasting because you have achieved the first set of goals / advantages. Maybe it is time to develop a whole new set of advantages for the next phase? Or to look at the issues around maintenance if you want to stay where you are?
Danielle (littlefatman) - Yay for 3.3kg down - great achievement. Slowly, slowly a kg at a time it 'does' happen. Credit for stopping at 2 ciders under duress and for not comforting yourself with food by using Beck strategies
LadyM - You are making good plans and developing strategies to outwit yourself in the snack department - Credit. A great list of credits.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:50 AM   #183  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Conjured up the need for peanut butter in the pantry before today's predicted storm so that I would walk, CREDIT moi, to Whole Foods to grind a pint. That gave me the opportunity to pass up all their FREE samples so that I stayed on my plan. My plan is a generous three snacks a day; I'm counting the days that I don't exceed that - of late I've been having only the evening snack of the three for a bonus. Streak of those goes to 90. I'm a happy camper.

Eating on plan, CREDIT moi, included left over chickpeas with couscous so that my arteries got a vegetarian day. When I picked up some bananas, I remembered to choose smaller ones rather than larger ones - an easy step toward portion control since I'm physically incapable of eating a partial banana.

onebyone – You're becoming quite the Geek there. Neat thought, "Credit for programs that allow fresh starts."

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for demonstrating that your Pippi Longstocking is alive and well. Kudos for letting her know that your grownup is in charge.

CeeJay - Kudos for "planning- for an onplan day today."

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Hope your DW's knee recovers - both for his sake and to spare you 7 1/2 hours of sheet rocking alone. Good grief! You have bundles of energy.

silverbirch – Bonus that LED's work in brown-outs. Ouch for the reality of youngsters learning to be their own taskmasters.

Cheryl (seadwaters) – Ouch for the need to juggle multiple health appointments with Kudos for thinking about walking while you were doing so.

FutureFitChick – Sabotaging Thoughts can be so creative, "already wasted half the day and that there is no point in trying to do what I planned." Kudos for not being suckered in. [$1.79 is a good price for a pineapple. If I bought one of those fake hot dogs I'd never get tempted to eat one again, LOL.]

maryann - Super Kudos, indeed, for four trips removing 'stuff.'

ladym0208 – That was so cool to give away your second lollipop immediately instead of fighting it.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Ouch for cancellations due to ice. Kudos for facing your momentary lack of motivation.

Rosebud170 – LOL at the joy of adult footie pajamas. Continue to fight thinking that it is all or nothing.

Tricia (AZtricia) - A planned small piece of your "Lemon Brownies" sounds mindful; Kudos.

Danielle (littlefatman) - Kudos for responding to a hurtful situation by contacting friends instead of food.

Readers -
Quote:
day 12 Practicing Hunger Tolerance

Going Hungry
On the day you practice feeling hungry, on every hour you're going to track how uncomfortable you feel on My Hunger Discomfort Chart. At right is an example of how Norma, a dieter I counseled, filled in her chart. Doing this exercise helped her realize that her hunger never got above a 4 in discomfort and that she absolutely was able to tolerate it.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 124.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 02-18-2014 at 11:19 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-18-2014, 07:29 AM   #184  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi coaches!

Nonexistent Internet and I'm heading to the restaurant. Streak extends to 15. I'm still amazed that my one no snacking today sign has had such a lasting effect at work. I only put it up for one day and I haven't nibbled at work since. Credit.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 02-18-2014, 08:38 AM   #185  

S/C/G: 194 / ticker / - 5 lbs

Height: 5'7"

Hello to all,

I am back from vacation. Sa and Su are less restricted days within reason, and I stayed on this side of reason, so credit. Then I was back to my more restricted M-F eating on Monday even though I was still on vacation, so more credit. That said, I think a few new rules would serve me well:

1a. If I am eating from a buffet on a Sa or Su, then I will take one dinner size plate and fill it up and put one desert on a desert plate before I take one bite of anything. If I want more after my first plate, I may get a second plate.

1b. If I am eating from a buffet on M-F, then I will take one dinner size plate and fill it up before I take one bite of anything. No seconds. No dessert.

1c. Consider ordering a la carte (that's what I did on Monday).

1d. Consider calling it brunch and skipping lunch (that's what I did on Sunday).

I exercised at the gym for all three days of vacation (and today) plus did a ton of walking.

Tuesday, today, I was back in non-vacation head-space.

Until tomorrow, all.

Streaks:
Bed by 11:00 (-13)
Planned exercise (+37)
Anti-procrastination for 30 min (+5)
- Note I worked many hours on the non-longer-so-dreaded project today. Yay!

Last edited by flnu; 02-18-2014 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Add ticker.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:40 AM   #186  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Good morning coaches,

Quick check in about yesterday's progress:

weighed in
read advantage and response cards
rode exercise bike and walked- just a bit but soon it will be more
did strength exercises for arms/shoulders
checked in with my coaches
ate on plan and recorded all food eaten

I am feeling such a sense of relief that I actually put 2 days back to back where I did everything I told myself I was going to do.

Off to hotel tonight armed with all the food I need to eat on plan until I get home tomorrow.

Have a great day everyone!

Also I am trying a streak: Days with no sugar-3.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:48 AM   #187  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Theory Two, that it's better to weigh after a bad day than not, seems to be the winner. I managed to put together a 100% day and get right back into it, instead of feeling like I could only manage this if I did it gradually. Something about weighing put a cap on the slide and let me say "I'm done with that, now" and move on. When I don't weigh, it's like I'm leaving an opening to continue sliding for awhile.

Of course, that's entirely predictable with the Beck techniques. Gathering information and not being in denial is always going to be a better situation. But, apparently, I had to prove it to myself.

3Ws (Weigh, Write a food plan, Write a post) streak: 15 Credit!

WI: -0.2 kg, Exercise: +70 825/1400 minutes for February, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

bethfromDayton: I rewrote my Advantages at 190 because I'd attained all of my original ones. I also decided at that point to change my goal weight -- it was originally 150 (about the middle of a normal BMI). I made it 170 which is just above a normal BMI (my doctor says there's really no magic in that number, that the best weight for me is the one that I feel best at). I also rewrote my Advantages when I got to my goal weight because the ones that got me to lose the weight weren't at all helpful to maintaining the weight loss. The Step Diet by James O. Hill recommends long periods of maintenance after losing for a few months. And, then, deciding if you want to lose more. So, I think one perfectly reasonable choice would be to maintain now and re-evaluate in three to six months.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:49 AM   #188  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Arrow today's plan -- check in this evening.

1. write down foodplan yes
  2. planned exercise: watp video 40min total yes
  3. read adv and response cards twice 1 yes and 2
  4. do my meditation tapes twice today 1 yes and 2
  5. drink my water yes
  6. enter food and water and exercise into tracker yes
  7. work on art submission for two hours yes but only for one hour
  8. work on clutter/boxes for three hours no
  9. cut up cardboard for recycling yes, 1 extra large box-boxes not done

I felt very unproductive today but I did tackle a bit of everything. *credit* and more importantly I have done all therequirements for being on plan. *Big Credit* for that.

Last edited by onebyone; 02-18-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:51 AM   #189  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Brief check-in ... started my note last night and computer locked up completely and I just pressed the power button until it completely gave up and I completely gave up and went to bed.

Didn't do great yesterday, food-wise ... too many small snacks (as in one sesame stick, then another, then a peanut, then an almond, then seven rice chips), and it just seemed to go from one thing to another, so Bill, I'm "getting" it that it's my mind wanting something, not my body. My mind wants comforting, is what I've settled on.

Checked in with mom, who had no info on my dad's scans and he was resting. She said he doesn't like to talk about it; gets irritated at questions. I'll go to him for more info when he hears something. She keeps saying how hard things are now with both having such low energy/ability, but then rebuffs my offer of heading down to help a bit now, because they might need me later. I said maybe me helping out a bit now will just help and we'll look at down the road another time. I'm going to work on how to approach that - sometimes it's just getting them familiar with the thought.

If it's not icy on the trail (big IF), I'll see if DH wants to get out for a walk.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:45 PM   #190  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Afternoon, Coaches.

The blues have lifted; the veil is up.Credit for continuing on my path to healing by getting my blood drawn an hour away in prep for the doctor. The plan was to give me massive amounts of vitamin D to see if it helped my mood swings. Today was the progress check. Doctor appt . is in two weeks. I need to have a heart to heart to DH to see if he has noticed a difference. The next step would be to look into medication. i will not worry about this today. I will be happy for the sunshine.

OP today. ( I fasted when I didn't need to. Oops. Misread the lab slip.) Credit for making almond bread for the boys and not taking ONE lick ( a miracle.)

gardenerjoy: i subscribe to theory two. Weighing in the next day after a free for all helps sober me back to a food plan.

AZTriciia: I had the delicious bacon (FFA pig we bought) in the nice slaw I made for a side dish. I do think my body is missing wheat. But I think I am happy to sever the relationship for now.

onebyone: Credit for no seconds at a buffet. That is a big deal.

Rosebud: I am intrigued by p90x3. I might have to do a little online shopping for it.

bethfromDayton: Boy can I relate to the feeling of "just staying right here." But even at maintenance, I am never through. So I might as well be a little lighter if I still have to be conscientious. There is no cruising for a food addict. I am either in the solution or the problem.

littlefatman: One of the greatest gifts I was given on this blog was the freedom to toss out food ( and put dishwashing soap on top so I didn't dig in the trash. ) Wasted in my body or wasted in the trash. I pick the trash.

seadwaters: It must be a relief to be off the steroids for even a little while. You will be able to gauge your body's normal reactions.

BBE: weightloss does come in tiny steps. I have learned that - like smaller bananas.

flnu: Some nice tips on travelling. I will use a few when I go on a trip in a couple of weeks.

Last edited by maryann; 02-18-2014 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:07 PM   #191  

S/C/G: 213/157/153

Height: 5 ft. four inches

GardenerJoy, I like the fact that you rewrote your advantages cards for maintenance. I need to do that.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:20 PM   #192  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Hello Coaches,
Good OP day for food and exercise. Did my DVD as well as walking, then stretched my bad shoulder. Funny is the bad shoulder has fewer pops and crunches now than the good one! Still a smaller range of motion, but getting better. Exercise allows a few extra calories, so I was able to have a satisfying snack. Grilled salmon planned for dinner, so it should be a healthy day.

Pup went to the vet and the paw shows no obvious issue. The problem could be a joint but Teddy would not cooperate with being looked at so he has some pain relievers and allergy meds, with a recheck in a week. He still limps on grass and loose small gravel, but has no problem with harder surfaces like sidewalks, strange!

Wishing you all a good evening.

onebyone Hurray for ARC's on you phone with reminders! Cool tech! Congrats on no sugar at the buffet. Kudos on tools for success and commitment.

Rosebud
Kudos for exercise. Hurray for footie pj's and comfort!

bethFromDayton Sounds like you are really struggling? Perhaps a break from loosing with a reassessment of what you want/need for your health?

littlefatman/Danielle Great job working through the Beck days. Sorry for the nasty from your ex Kudos for mindful eating.

ladym0208 Kudos for spontaneous exercise, finding a healthier milk and sharing the sugar! WhooHoo for leaving rice!!

seadwaters
Hurray for more pounds down and no prednisone! Hope your lowering weight allows you to stay off. The pickles are by Wildbrine and the kiddos don't seem to like them, so I don't have to share! What are you fermenting now, if not pickles?

BillBlueEyes
Kudos for walking for pb! Hurray for vegetarian! I love watching you streak go up and up, so motivating! The brownies, though fitting in my plan calorie wise, were double my sugar quota for the day! Won't do that very often!!

Lexxis Hurray for your amazing sign, kudos for no nibbles!

flnu Welcome back. Great job making rules to help you stay on track. Hurray for exercise and anti-procrastination.

CeeJay Congrats on your exercise and OP eating, kudos for 3 days w/o sugar!

gardenerjoy Thanks, LOVED this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenerjoy View Post
bethfromDayton: I rewrote my Advantages at 190 because I'd attained all of my original ones. I also decided at that point to change my goal weight -- it was originally 150 (about the middle of a normal BMI). I made it 170 which is just above a normal BMI (my doctor says there's really no magic in that number, that the best weight for me is the one that I feel best at). I also rewrote my Advantages when I got to my goal weight because the ones that got me to lose the weight weren't at all helpful to maintaining the weight loss. The Step Diet by James O. Hill recommends long periods of maintenance after losing for a few months. And, then, deciding if you want to lose more. So, I think one perfectly reasonable choice would be to maintain now and re-evaluate in three to six months.
Your thoughts here are very helpful to me.

onebyone
Sounds like you had a great day, kudos!

nationalparker
Bummer for computer trouble, hope you find a good comfort to replace snacking. Sorry you are still waiting for detailed news, I know that was one of the most stressful parts when my mom had cancer-not knowing!

maryann Hurray for blues gone. Hope you are able to figure this all out with your doctor.

Last edited by AZtricia; 02-18-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:20 PM   #193  
Funky

S/C/G: 238/223.5/200

Height: 5'3"

Checking in. OP for the day. Walked on campus for class and have a plan for tomorrow. On track to lose my goal for the month and see a movie. I missed out during January. I hate getting my hopes up. Beck teaches us to hold on and believe 1+1=2. So if I am doing 1 and then doing 1 it will equal 2 eventually. I am so superstitious about every thing. If I eat this or weigh like this or believe too hard it will never happen. I am so crazy sometimes but I have never had success in weight loss goals so this time has to be different. The steps are there and I am following them.

I love reading all your posts and you all give me strength. Thank you. My life is so boring and I am just holding on white knuckle sometimes that I can sometimes only read. Thanks for being there for me.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:46 PM   #194  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
Don't ask me about the piano! This morning I was unexpectedly catapulted into a low-key drama with the DB about piano and recorder exams. I do not want to be cast as the person who stands over him to practise. That is not my role in life. I refuse to make it high drama.

I'm not the piano teacher, by the way. I think that could be Eusebius.
That's right. Thanks for reminding me. I never wanted to practice much as kid. Now I miss it!
Old 02-18-2014, 10:57 PM   #195  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Superfastflybycheckin...

OK day. Woke up late, AGAIN. I need to get that under control. I didn't log. I did ½ PT sessions. I ate OP.

AZTricia, your poor pup! I hope your vet can get to the bottom of that soon. I used to groom my St. Bernard and Alaskan Malamute myself. This Shiba Inu, however, refuses to be touched. I will be hiring that job out in the future. Vacation discussions will proceed this weekend. Your brownies sound so interesting!

LittleFatMan, big congratulations on the 3.3 kgs lost! Wow!

SeaDWaters, way to go and the pounds down! That must feel great. Good luck on your decision about the osteoporosis treatment.

BillBlueEyes, great job on ignoring those samples.
Closed Thread