Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 05:45 PM   #271  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Red face Late check in for Monday

Hi Coaches

I survived yesterday and got to bed at a reasonable time sunday night (the night before) which was surprising. I overate last night and felt uncomfortable - a bit of that going around. I was tired last night and started to post and realised I was just too lifeless to do personals so deleted it all and didn't post - silly. So I am posting now for yesterday and again am time poor. Horrible time of year really

I did a lot of walking yesterday - made 9800 steps - walked to and from the free carparking with a bag that was too heavy. Next week will take my usual bag on wheels. It is not really meant to be strength training on the commute from car to office. Weighed and logged weight - didn't want to because it was up today from yesterday. Logged all my food and have a plan for today - I have packed lunch and I have mystery dinner. I defrosted something - I am hoping it is steak.

On the radio on the way back from the dog park there was discussion around the fact that someone had lost weight not by changing what they ate but "merely" by eating everything that they ate sitting down and with a knife and fork. No surprises there for Beck followers. Then there was a discussion around turning the work canteen into the social and eating centres in offices and getting rid of vending machines and "al desko" eating. Interesting thoughts actually. It then degenerated into a discussion around the Death Star Canteen (Eddie Izzard) - follow the link if you want a laugh - language warning up front.

Will try to check in tonight with personals - after I have been to the gym and then try to deal with the squalid conditions at home as a result of too much dog hair and not enough attention to chores

Last edited by GosfordGirl; 02-24-2014 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:18 PM   #272  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

I wrote a post hours ago, forgot to hit "Submit" and lost the whole thing. My brain, my brain? Where has it gone?

OP day yesterday, I thought, until I realized this morning that yesterday I had an extra snack. Sheesh! Today has been OP though. I need to do a lot more PT tonight and some how squeeze that in with all the work I need to finish today but haven't gotten to yet.

Anyhow, CeeJay, great job with getting your exercise in!

NationalParker, I hope your father got useful and positive news today.
By the way, I totally miss Trader Joe's where I live.

LadyM0208, glad you were able to get some relaxing and refreshing time this weekend!

ForMyGirls, looks like you had a whopper of a day with all of those successes! Wooo hoo!

BillBlueEyes, so glad to see 96 today and looking forward to 97 tomorrow!

OnebyOne, great job on the loss!

flnu, glad today was on track for you and hope tomorrow is as well!

MaryAnn, awesome job for keeping your "boudaries" with food in spite of the darkness that was around yesterday.

GardenerJoy, glad to see such a great post by you today!

AZTricia, I hope that the stressful hosting duties were manageable for you! I'm confident that you handled with with ease!

SeaDWaters, glad to read you survived yesterday! Great job on all of those steps!
Old 02-24-2014, 06:39 PM   #273  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi coaches!

A long day at work and I'm now dealing with a power problem at one of the rentals. Apparently the energy company came out to change a meter and now they have no power in half the house.

I'm glad I have my food plan written right beside the refrigerator. Streak 20. Credit.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:05 PM   #274  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Off plan day after an off plan weekend. This upcoming week is going to be very challenging--I'm out of town on business with the following weekend tacked on for a family visit. (Big plus: Florida is warm in February--especially compared to Ohio)

I've got new response cards and will write some new ones on the plane--the act of writing them helps me. I'm committing to reading my new cards 3 times a day--I need to internalize them more. The two primary new ones are the advantages of having lost 50 lbs (which I mentioned last week) and the advantages of losing more weight.

I've got others worth reading multiple times a day--and will see what comes to my head as also being important as I think about it on the flight.

I'll try to check in each night.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:46 AM   #275  

Good morning coaches

Another OP day for me yesterday both food and exercise wise.

•Sticking to schedule and doing my exercise at 6am
•Not going for seconds at dinner
•Creating my diet rules as per day 16

bethFromDayton well done for creating the new response cards and for making the new commitment to reading them 3 times a day. This is what I do too, I try to read my before each meal to keep the focus
Lexxiss Hope the power problem got sorted, and well done for creating your plan & keeping it visible
FutureFitChick hope you got your work done and your PT session in
seadwaters well done on all those steps
AZtricia Well done for making a plan for your social event, I hope you are able to leave the non OP food alone
gardenerjoy I hope you have another OP day
maryann Well done for making and sticking to your boundaries it takes real determination
flnu Your escalating response cards sound pretty cool I may try it our for myself!!! thanks for the tip
onebyone Good luck for reaching that next goal, you can do it!!
BillBlueEyes Well done for resisting those cookies especially when there was so much choice!!

Have a good day everyone, I hope its OP
Old 02-25-2014, 02:04 AM   #276  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Thumbs up Catch up post

Hi coaches

I did go to gym tonight and it was worth it. Now I plan to go to Zumba Aqua on Thursday morning, personal training (PT) on Friday morning early, and hopefully, if classes are all prepared by Sunday, to gym again. I think I can routinely do Tuesday pm, Thursday am, and Sunday, and then every second Friday for PT and maybe gym. Steps today over 8000 and food on plan (so far) with dinner planned (and it is steak fortunately)

CeeJay - Bravo walking in minus 15 - fresh air indeed! Cheers to a great Sunday

Nationalparker - Thinking about your father and mother waiting for the news - hope all is manageable.

Ladym0208 - Yay for scenery that never gets old - sounds like an amazing place. Credit for reviewing your anti-craving prompt cards. A great list of credits in your next post. Your lake Kivu sounds interesting and a great motivation to take long walks

ForMyGirls - sympathies for the all consuming job - but you seem to make accommodations and soldier on

BillBE - those HUGE cookies are scary - I had one once and then looked up the calories and decided not to do that again. Glad you are getting a sense that Spring is coming. We get the occasional nip in the air in the morning that causes me to be hopeful that Autumn might actually make it this year - eventually. Yay for 96 - can't believe it has been that long

Onebyone - Congrats on the weight loss - stellar. I find rewards difficult and need to focus more on it - I haven't ever really done it just talked about it. I need to put it in action now

Flnu - Great post (identify with the overeating having just done it last night) but what I want to know is how did you get crappy past the 3FC filter (ooh I did too - obviously not an offensive word to USians?)! I like your restaurant and salad solution to wanting something indulgent. Yay for back-on-track

Maryann - credit for aiming for kind when you are hurting - credit for boundaries around food and relationships. As flnu says - "credit squared"

Gardenerjoy - great to see a 20 credit 3W streak. Glad you are back to OPness

Tricia (AZ) - New social situations are really difficult foodwise so I wish you well - you have a plan and a strategy so all should be well. The thought of unfenced pools makes an Australian's blood chill - it is awful to hear that sort of news

FutureFitChick - not hitting the submit button is really frustrating. Hope you manage to squeeze in PT into your busy life tonight

Lexxiss - good luck with the electricity crisis and yay for having a plan so it doesn't derail you

Bethfromdayton - wishing you a successful trip
Old 02-25-2014, 04:59 AM   #277  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Hello coaches,

Credits for my day: I noticed at breakfast time that I was thinking “what shall I have for breakfast” and realised that it would actually make my day go more smoothly if I just had what I had planned rather than starting the day with indecision. It helped. I did all my health and exercise activity. I went to bed on time - just - last night. Still struggling getting back on track with water intake though.

Food ? 90 % OP; Health activities 100% OP? yes ; Drank 2L water? no ; Went to bed on time? yes ; Streak count: 0

Maryann - you say things so incredibly well. What a profoundly awesome goal for oneself - to be kind to others when empty / hurting. We could achieve world peace if that idea spreads.

AZTricia - how sad about the drowning!
Old 02-25-2014, 07:40 AM   #278  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Streak of snacks per plan (or under) goes to 97, CREDIT moi, without much temptation. Some days happen with no extraneous food wandering by (ignoring my own pantry). That's worth celebrating since it's a bit rare.

Walked, CREDIT moi, to my afternoon event. The college kids scooted by in t-shirts as if it were summer, but they weren't staying out - just darting somewhere. Part of my resistance exercise was carrying a step ladder up from the basement to replace the battery in a smoke alarm. Each time I read another story of death by Carbon Monoxide I become grateful that smoke/CO alarms are affordable and easy to obtain and install.

onebyone – Yay for Fitbit proving its worth. And Congrats for meeting your five pound goal. Gotta love it when decluttering uncovers our lost treasures.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for your 3W's streak, even though it's the second day to give yourself "20 Credit!"

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Either it's contagious or I'm missing something, but you've also taken "Streak 20" for the second time. Perhaps I'm the one cheating by incrementing my counter every day, LOL.

Cheryl (seadwaters) – LOL at "strength training on the commute from car to office." Got a huge chuckle from Darth Vader in your clip. Ouch for tired and a bout of overeating - not unusual for those to go together. When you say 'steak' without a qualifier, do you mean beef steak or lamb steak?

FutureFitChick – Welcome to the elite club of those losing their minds, LOL. Good luck scheduling your physical therapy and work both.

maryann - I'm moved by the thought to be kind to others even when I'm hurting. Thanks for that.

ladym0208 – Exercise at 6am deserves Special Kudos.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Yay for Florida. It'll probably be warm this weekend even though it'll be March down there. Neat observation that the act of writing ARC's helps you remember to read them.

ForMyGirls - Ouch for parenting interfering with exercise with Kudos for recognizing it as a solvable problem. Love the discovery of the benefit of having "what I had planned,"

Tricia (AZtricia) - I'd think you could get your guys to display their rockets to entertain your guests for tea. Kudos for thinking veggies so that you can have something to nibble while they eat the off-plan foods.

flnu - Kudos for recognizing that you can stay your plan easier by changing restaurants - that's so Cognitive Therapy. [Thanks for reminding me to plan a reward; I hadn't thought of that, Duh! I'll buy the book I've wanted but didn't want to spend the $30 - but used copies will never appear because no one is likely to ever sell their copy. Decision made.]

Readers -
Quote:
day 12 Practicing Hunger Tolerance
Once I get over my intolerance of
...hunger, dieting will be easier.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 126.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:24 AM   #279  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

I had a PT session this morning. Lots of strength training and some balance work, which included throwing a ball against the x at a center of a trampoline and catching it, all while standing on the repaired knee. Breakfast was on plan. Last night I did not get in my full at home PT like I wanted. Bummer.

Today I am applying "NO CHOICE" to getting my planned work done. I will use a timer to manage myself and ensure I am on task. Lunch will be no problem, as it is prepped, and dinner just has to be thrown in the oven.

Lexxiss, woo hoo on streak day 20!

BethfromDayton, I hope your travels go very well and you have time enough and energy enough to stay on plan.

LadyM0208, great job on managing those former habits of 2nds at dinner and getting up early for exercise!

SeaDWaters, keep fingers crossed for you that you can get to the gym Saturday! Your plan sounds ambitious, but I am like you in that if I don't get it all situated before my term starts I'm sunk.

ForMyGirls, I'm glad that you found planning and your routine helpful to get to a healthy breakfast. Hope today you get all of that water in!

BillBlueEyes, woo hoo! Next comes 98, then 99, then 100!!!!
Old 02-25-2014, 01:32 PM   #280  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Yesterday was decent, despite no check in. Ate heavy lunch out with a coworker friend and lighter dinner. Snow overnight - not much, thankfully. Close to 0 tonight and then a cold week. I'm so ready for spring, even with the Florida trip a few weeks ago.

Beth - ENJOY the warmth, the sunshine, the fun time. Safe travels.

Bill - Closing in on 100. Amazing. What has been your biggest thought process change through the past few months? (Not counting not breaking the streak! )

Lexxiss - Good luck with the quick turnaround for that tenant - and working through all of the problems that you seem to handle with grace. How you do it all amazes and impresses me.

ForMyGirls - Sending hugs and warm, caring thoughts your way. I hope you'll find time to take care of YOU as you're working your way through these issues there. Hang in there and kudos to you for thoughts on working that Monday/Wednesday swap on activity. A mind-change from a while ago?! Seeking the solutions for a healthier life. Credits!

Seadwaters - Zumba Aqua sounds fun and wonderful for your summer. Fill us in - i've not heard of it - what ages are in there? I used to love aqua aerobics despite being the youngest one by 30 years in there about 8 years ago Something different than walking/yoga and I really enjoyed the change of pace.

FutureFitChick - LOOK at how close you are to 200/199. I'm excited for you - and how active you are. Yay!
Old 02-25-2014, 02:20 PM   #281  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

This morning I felt whole again. I worked with another alcoholic who is trying to stay sober, listened to me own words of wisdom about acceptance, and then decided to practice it a little in my own life.

After another long conversation with DH ( a struggle but not with screaming,) we felt we are making progress. I felt once again how much he loves me. That makes all the difference. We have a dinner date tonite to just be with each other. I am grateful neither of us leaves as we work through the tough stuff.

As for food, weight is still a pound above ticker. I am using what I learned in the "three week drop" to fashion a food plan for March.
- A smoothie everyday and a salad five to six days a week
- wheat once a week
- dairy every now and then
- add back organic eggs
- stay free of peanuts, corn and artificial sweetener.

Hopefully this will up my veggie intake, keep me more full, and give me broader options. Daily weigh in will let me know if it is working.

Seadwaters: You're killing me bringing the attention to the fact that it is sitting down that is the major difference between weightloss and maintenance. I have been hiding that truth under a box for about three months. Drat! Now I have to look at it again

FutureFitChick: Where does the mind go? You can't believe what my mind forgets. Last week, I went to a meeting with the car still "on" , doors unlock, lights blaring- for an hour!

BethFromDayton: Credit for posting off plan days. That is the key to me getting back on.

ForMyGirls: i have really improved my water intake. I have a special water glass with cap and straw which I have promised to refill 3 times everyday. It has really helped - but Oh No! it has a leak. Good thing I have a spare.

BBE: Funny about youth and cold. I gave up the battle of long sleeves with my son. I insisted, however on pants and not shorts during February. I told him someone would call CPS.

Last edited by maryann; 02-25-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:02 PM   #282  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Good morning coaches,

Yeah for one more pound down, at 222 today which is a fun looking number, but I don't plan to stay here long. Only a short visit then goodbye forever! My program tracking again has my metabolism quite high (2800 cal/day) and my calorie level for loosing above 2000, so I guess I was wrong to re-set the program. Walking pup 4X daily must have revved up my muscles! I don't plan to eat more than 2000, no matter what the program says...it will just help me loose faster. I have it set for about 1.25 lb/wk so I will probably stay under the 2 lb/wk loss. It is easier to loose now when the weather is nice enough to walk outside. When the heat hits I will have to re-think exercise because I can not stand to be out when it is over 100F (38C).

Lots of friends still stunned/grieving the little guy. His family were not personal friends, but friends of friends, and it is a shock to the community. He was an adorable little boy.

seadwaters
Congrats on 9800 steps. LOL on mystery dinner, steak sounds good! Most vending machine food is quite unhealthy! Doggy hair multiplies while you aren't watching Sounds like you have a great exercise plan for the week. Kudos for 8000 steps and OP. ...I need to get something out for our dinner!

FutureFitChick I always say I've lost my brain, I think it has been gone since I had children! Kudos for OP and planning for PT.

Lexxiss Bummer for the power issue, kudos for the streak of 20!

bethFromDayton Kudos for the new response cards. Hope you enjoy your warm weather and choose healthy foods on your trip.

ladym0208 Kudos for early exercise and portion control!

ForMyGirls
Kudos for realizing your plan was easier and better, hurray for OP!

BillBlueEyes Hurray for no wandering food! I'm glad it can't follow me as that would be much harder to resist Our smoke alarms ALWAYS go off in the middle of the night, so we started replacing the batteries more regularly...one still bleeped at 2 am after only a couple months! And we have no gas, but one of the alarms was "talking" to us with a CO2 alert, which turns out to be just dust! I am glad they keep us safe but heartily sick of false alarms while I'm asleep!!!

FutureFitChick Hurray for "no choice" and prepped meals!

nationalparker Kudos for balancing your day, just like a thin person! Zero sounds very Brrr!

maryann Hurray for teaching, all the better for learning the information. So glad you are feeling better and that you are making progress with dh. Sounds like you have a great plan!

Last edited by AZtricia; 02-25-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:34 PM   #283  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Talking The Last Tuesday of February, 2014.

Coaches

Weighed and saw 265 this morning. Wowsa. Only 1lb from my second 5lb goal and I am about to fulfill the reward for the first one! My movie will be tonight: The Lego Movie. My second movie will be another day.

I want something pretty for my next reward. Maybe a ring, or earrings or something. If I reach the 264 by Thursday (maybe??) then I will buy it at the bookstore of the Art Gallery of Ontario. My ceramic studio friends and I are going to see Masterpieces of the Guggenheim Museum. Oh! I see many more exhibitions I need to visit. Will have to plan for that.

I have tracked my food and still need to do some aerobics before we go out tonight. I continue to declutter my place and am now re-arranging the diningroom bookcase. So, in the next 2.5hrs I need to clean up the kitchen, do my exercise, and declutter whatever else I can. My movie will have been well-earned!

I just re-read my post and my signature and I'm making myself a rule:

When I reach a goal I reward myself within one week.

Last edited by onebyone; 02-25-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:49 PM   #284  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I'm really late checking in today, but I've been working on lots of good stuff and sticking to my food plan and kitchen chores. It's all good.

3Ws (Weigh, Write a food plan, Write a post) streak: 22 Credit!
WI: -0.05 kg, Exercise: +60 1230/1400 minutes for February, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: thanks for checking my math! I have a paper count of my streak also. Hopefully, I won't get too far off reality.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:18 PM   #285  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Talked with DH tonight - if we're looking forward to hiking when the weather is better, how much more fun would that be with some pounds removed from each of us?! So ... I suggested that we each weigh and just keep it to ourself, and then track it each week, and keep each other posted, and goal between us is 32-35 pounds in three months. To not compete, but work together on. I hope it's not another weak try as others have been between us. We'll see. But at this moment, I'm hopeful.
Closed Thread