Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 07:59 AM   #226  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

3Ws (Weigh, Write a food plan, Write a post) streak: 18 Credit!

Yesterday I stuck with my plan and saw a new low on the scale. 3 hours of hands and knees prepping of the old doug-fir floor certainly helped. As always, grateful for the ability to do the things I couldn't fathom 90+pounds ago. I thought out dinner tonight to be really simple AND I can just thumb though last week's meal plans to find it "already written down" Simple. Credit.

Back to the project with a definite end in sight.

BBE, I've haven't read any of the SH since childhood. This series was recommended by my librarian. LaurieKing picks up his character in retirement and I do believe that reading them in order is most interesting. I'm really enjoying them. In the first book SH is in retirement in Sussex "tending bees". Nice job at the reception last night. That was a plan that really worked!
Old 02-21-2014, 08:46 AM   #227  

S/C/G: 194 / ticker / - 5 lbs

Height: 5'7"

Routine day for me. Not so stressed at work. Took the stairs. Started Fat, Sugar, Salt (thanks, Joy). Happy news from my Friday weigh-in: down 4 lbs, which means I achieved my first 5 lb goal. Now I get to set a new one! I am sure I lost half of that last week but secretly. Exercise streak continues, I went to bed on time, and put in my anti-procrastination time. Pretty good day after all.

Joy: I love your conceptualization of your inner rebel (you’re lucky yours is 14, mine is about 2). I will try to work with mine as well. She also hates the processed food industry thinking they’re so smart. Nice streak you’ve got going there.

FutureFitChick: Good insight. Awareness might be nine-tenths the battle.

Tricia: Way to strengthen that resistance muscle! Good job! I hear you on the why-did-I-do-this question. I realized I am still holding a mental image of myself as an athlete, a runner even. Actually exercising has challenged this distortion. I am seriously unfit. (But getting fitter.)

Ceejay: Yay for checking in!

Nationalparker: So glad you are thinking of those credits. Bad news (even much more minor bad news) sends me straight toward the known comforts.

Beth: Credit for easily resisting cookies – awesome. Reading your list is inspiring.

Ladym0208: A great day! Well done.

Seadwaters: I kind of think that nothing to report is maybe a good sign. No big struggles = serious progress.

BBE: Glad you enjoyed your exercise. We had such nice weather here that I opted for outdoor exercise this morning. I love you suggestion to search for the positive – finally a way to make ads work for us.

Lexxiss: HURRAY for your new number. AWESOME.

Last edited by flnu; 02-21-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:57 AM   #228  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Grocery-shopping is on the list today. Just in time -- my refrigerator is about cleared of vegetables.

3Ws (Weigh, Write a food plan, Write a post) streak: 18 Credit!

WI: -0.35 kg, Exercise: +55 985/1400 minutes for February, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

ladym0208: congrats on successfully completing the hunger tolerance experiment. I had similar results. That gives power to the response "hunger is not an emergency" because I know, now, that I can wait and it won't cause a huge amount of discomfort.

BillBlueEyes and Lexxiss: have you been watching the BBC series Sherlock on PBS? It's a modernized version with a Sherlock Holmes who claims to be a high-functioning sociopath, but he strikes me as a kind of savant with Asperger's. Doctor Watson is an Afghan war vet with a taste for dangerous adventure that he can't seem to shake. The relationship between them is fun to watch, because they complete each other in odd ways. Set in modern times, they keep being accused of being a couple when they aren't. There's also a lot of fun technology and London, itself, is practically a character. The first two seasons are streaming on Netflix. The three episodes of the third season are on PBS's website until March 4 (http://video.pbs.org/program/masterpiece/episodes/). I assume they'll show up on Netflix and other streaming sites after that.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:27 AM   #229  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up And today's a good day

Coaches

Credits for logging my food in my tracker and for having a plan to follow. I've listened to my affirmation tape already and read my arc-all before leaving the warmth of my bed. *extra credit for the comfort of that* Also a scale surprise (let's use this little icon I rarely use) I met and passed my first goal of 5lbs off. And, since I don't really have an official weigh-in day anymore, and glad of it, though I'll change my ticker every week on the Monday, I am calling it a goal achieved and therefore I have earned my 2 movies at the theatre in a row reward. I am going this weekend as I am SO BAD at not rewarding myself. DH might come with me, or he might not. I am going either way.

I was going to take the car and get to the gym today but I saw how my day slipped out of my hands yesterday and I really need to accomplish some work in the house before DH gets home tonight. I will do my WATP 3 mile workout. It's a good workout.

gardenerjoy, Lexxiss and Billblueeyes Have you been watching Elementary? Also a current re-invention of Sherlock Holmes. Sherlock (played by Jonny Lee Miller) is a recovering heroin addict, relocated to New York City. He is a consultant to the NYC Police Department. Dr. Watson is Dr. Joan Watson, (played by Lucy Lui), a former surgeon who left her profession (malpractice I think) to work with recovering addicts. Sherlock is her client and she is hired by his father to be his sober companion. During the course of the first season she aids Sherlock with some medical issues and eventually he recognizes in her a talent for deduction. I really like this Sherlock. I also watch the BBC one and like that one very much too. BTW did you know that the female fans of the British Sherlock played by Benedict Cumberbatch call themselves "Cumberbeeches" (spelling changed to defeat the censor )? This always makes me laugh - blame my teenage rebel who is just barely in hiding... I've not read any Sherlock Holmes, but a retired detective could be fun! Thanks Lexxiss for the tip!

Last edited by onebyone; 02-21-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:39 AM   #230  
Funky

S/C/G: 238/223.5/200

Height: 5'3"

Down .5 this week. Ramping up for the weekend. It is so hard to follow a plan over the weekend. I am starting exercise on Monday for sure. Back has been hurting for the last three weeks and I have not been able to bend down I have class on Tuesday and Thursday so I will exercise M W F.

I have planned for the day and I am just not into the planned salad. They never taste as good as the ones from resturants. I am going to have some popcorn and see if that fills me up.

Short day for the kids so have less time to get things done. I have a church lesson to give on Sunday that I have to get done. I have been working on it a little at a time but I have to get it together.

I love reading all your posts. You keep me centered. Thanks. Have a great day.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:01 PM   #231  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches.

So, earlier this week my espresso maker stopped working. I still haven't taken it apart yet, as the screw I need to remove first is stripped. (This machine was a second hand gift from someone that no longer wanted it.) Then, yesterday, I was washing our French Press, and managed to crack that. So, percolator coffee it was for me made i in my grandmother's old Corning blue flower stove top percolator.

Food was off plan yesterday, but could have been much worse. I ordered some items that came in the mail yesterday. They were really only borderline on plan in the first case, but I wanted to celebrate my birthday (tomorrow) with a treat that was fairly close to on plan. But, yesterday, I had one, and it was SOOO good (for the healthy version of the stuff), that I had a second. Bummer... Oh, well. None for me today and ONE tomorrow. Today I will get in 2 PT sessions, full ones, with no cheating on timing of exercises!

Lots of great successes this week! Congratulations to all!

AZTricia, if I could do them, I would do cartwheels to celebrate your shunning of pizza. HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I always feel like I look the same with slow weight loss too. One of the medical assistants at my doctor notices and points it out to me. I also put together a collage of my worst fat photos to give me an idea of where I was. Good idea about the anti-inflammatory for your pup.

CeeJay, great job exercising and reading those cards!!

NationalParker, I'm so sorry to read about you not feeling great. I admit to having found great comfort in some of the greasy garlic bread from a local creole place. Mmmmm! Great job for turning to taking care of yourself with comforting activities.

BethfromDayton, way to go on just saying NO! (to cookies) Your new card sounds great.

LadyM0208, yay for hunger tolerance success!

SeaDWaters, hope the rest of your course prep goes well and you are able to get in your gym visits next week.

BillBlueEyes, yay for one week from 100!!! Regarding my driving, it was definitely better than when I was 16. When I turned 16 + 1 month (the state law for a license here) it was pretty close to Easter. On like the 2nd or 3rd day I drove to school, I was unable to avoid hitting a suicidal bunny rabbit. I was mortified! (Thankfully? one of my friends was in a car behind me and was able to put it out of its misery.) My friends then nick-named me the Easter Bunny Slayer. So, this time around was definitely better!

Lexxiss, great job for sticking to your plan AND the new low! Simplifying meals is hard for me. I grew up in a house where even though my mother worked full-time and it may be 8:00 PM before we eat, she always made a complete dinner for us. Being injured has helped me to accept that in times of recovery or incredible busyness, it is OK to just eat some leftovers with a giant side of frozen and microwaved broccoli.

flnu, wow! Big congratulations to you! -4 # is amazing. You are an inspiration to me to get to bed on time. (And, my husband would GREATLY appreciate it if I stopped working in bed until the wee hours of the morning.)

GardenerJoy, great job on 18 days!

OnebyOne, GERAT JOB on meeting your last goal (clearly you deserve credit for loosing the 16 other pounds too)! Keep it up!

LoseToAll, I hear you on the difficulty following the plan. This is true in about every area in my life. I'm great at making plans, but for some reason at the moment I am not so great at following through. I wonder how much of my life's energy has been wasted to this battle/expectation of myself...
Old 02-21-2014, 12:50 PM   #232  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

I have made it through three weeks of no gluten, eggs, dairy, peanuts, soy or artificial sweetener. The scale doesn't show a drop but my clothes fit better. I am reintroducing dairy this week and will be interested to see how that goes. Credit for continuing to understand what maintenance means for me.

Exercise today is walking and a Pilates session. The blues have stayed at bay. I feel quite content this morning. it is a relief. I may sit by the fire all day and read my new book - Allende's Maya's Notebook.

Only made it through half of the missed posts so some of these responses may be old.

flnu: Thanks for the testimonial. I like to hear when medication helped. I have another good friend who was helped by them. I am terrified to take pills being a 26 years sober alcoholic. But I know intellectually, antidepressants have nothing to do with addiction. I just need to feel that in my heart. I am wiling to have a talk with my doc.

FutureFatChick: My father is a naturally thin person but he also has tons of fast twitch muscles which burned everything off. He has an unbelievable sweet tooth. Ironic.

gardenerjoy: I am ordering "the End of Overeating"

seadwaters: Would you reccomend the fitbit?

ladym0208. Hope the hunger experiment goes well. I learned many things from it but it was incredibly difficult for me - low blood sugar, etc. . .

ForMyGirls: How is your frugal challenge going? I have kept up with "Frugal Queen" and Mortgage Free in Three" and have almost finished my second month using only cash for food and discretionary spending.

Last edited by maryann; 02-21-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:20 PM   #233  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello! Looking forward to more time to check in on the weekend. Busy work day with about a 10-minute lunch while still working, so the day seemed even longer. Able to head home soon, and dinner is two turkey italian sausages, sauteed in crumbles with peppers and onions, and will add a little bow tie pasta, along with a salad. I'm so not into salads at home when it's winter.

Looking forward to sleeping in and enjoying some really relaxing mornings this weekend. Have a lot to get done over the weekend, but am going to relax, journal, enjoy a few magazines before rolling. DH is working both days.

Nothing major to report here, just wanted to pop in and say Ciao to everyone
Old 02-21-2014, 10:24 PM   #234  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

Food--not so OP--too much dinner--followed by too many M&Ms--and I went back for more--twice. Ouch. The sloppy joes were amazing--but I didn't really need two sandwiches--and shouldn't gave gotten up to get the second one.

Exercise today was great--terrific circuit training with our trainer--she really had me moving. She went light on my thighs (because she was so hard on them Wednesday) and pushed my arms and abs and cardio. It was a good workout. Then I sent all afternoon and evening cooking. In kindness to you all, I won't share the details :-). But all the food is in the freezer and the cleanup is done. Circuit training is more fun than cleaning the kitchen!

Tomorrow is another cooking day. If the weather holds, I'll take a morning walk. I'm babying my toe and alternating the various types of orthotics, but I'll feel better if I get in a walk tomorrow morning before spending the day kitchening.

Best to all,
Old 02-21-2014, 11:15 PM   #235  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hi Coaches,

Did OK today if I stop eating right now. Spent the day in the city and made OK choices at lunch and dinner. Home now and ready for bed.

Eating plan for tomorrow:
Egg whites and oatmeal for breakfast
Big salad with tuna and chick peas for lunch
Yogurt and berries for snack
Stir fry with lots of veggies and steak for dinner
Yogurt and berries and oatmeal for snack

Also for tomorrow:
Ride bike
Strength exercises for shoulders and arms
Read advantage and response cards
Check in with coaches
Weigh myself
8 cups of water

Have a good night everyone!
Old 02-22-2014, 12:23 AM   #236  

Good morning coaches.

Yesterday was a good day in terms of my being on plan, but it was quite a challenge in other aspects. Our team have been let down a quite few times since we've been out here which means that we have not been able to do quite as much as we would like in terms of our work. It is quite frustrating as you can see how much the help is needed but you tend to come across quite a few barriers to getting the work done!! Any how I know I need to focus on what went right otherwise the motivation will drop, which leads me nicely on to my credits for yesterday....

• Waking up early to do day 5 of insanity, I was up at 5.45am
• Walking to and from the school I'm teaching at, 40 mins either way
• Not having the deep fried fish at lunch, having beans instead
• Stopping myself from having more fruit salad at dinner as I was already full
• Not having the Snickers bar that I had planned as I felt it may have led to me feeling out of control and wanting to eat more due to feeling a bit down

CeeJay well done for planning you food and exercise for toady, I hope it all goes to plan
bethFromDayton Well done for keeping up with the exercise, its great to see how much you enjoy it
maryann Well done for taking the time to learn about what maintenance means to you and for experimenting with your food
FutureFitChick Hope the PT sessions go well.....HAPPY BIRTHDAY I hope you have a wonderful day xx
LoseToAll Well done on your 0.5lb loss
BillBlueEyes Well done for skipping the cheese and crackers

Have a great day Beck buddies

Last edited by ladym0208; 02-22-2014 at 03:21 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:57 AM   #237  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Hi Coaches

Credits: planned food for today and stuck to it; logged food; managed my 8000 steps and not much more (surprised to make that!); logged into 3FC; weighed and logged weight.

I have been really busy today and tomorrow will be worse so will see you tomorrow; I put the mackerel recipe in the recipe area in the stickies

Last edited by GosfordGirl; 02-22-2014 at 03:57 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:02 AM   #238  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Yesterday turned crazy when my coworker texted me at 5 pm to say she couldn't fill in for me today. Dinner ended up being McD on the car at the project. Credit for not overdoing and for coming up with a rational plan for finishing the floor. I will have to go up after work today to stay on track.

3 w's streak 19 weight still at all time low .

all!
Old 02-22-2014, 07:05 AM   #239  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday - George Washington's Birthday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Experienced Noah's flood style rain - hard enough to just stand and watch in awe. Weren't washed away. The basement is dry - I suspect because it was so brief. Walk, CREDIT moi, included the library to pick up Mary Poppins, She Wrote. Discovered that Pamela Travers was one neat Australian lady who was influenced by Gurdjieff. I gulped it quickly because my only interest was to see if Disney was protrayed in the book as he was in the Disney movie Saving Mr. Banks. Nope, Travers and Mary Poppins were bigger than Disney.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, including snacks under control (none) to streak to 94. At folk dancing last night the usual table offered the usual array of quality goodies. I watched a green-bean-lean nine year old girl scarfing cookies non-stop. I miss that metabolism.

onebyone – Kudos for making your goal and 2 Kudos for taking your 2 movies reward. More Sherlock Holmes to go find out about. LOL at "Cumberbeeches."

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Thanks for unconfusing me about the Sherlock Holmes series.

CeeJay - Neat that you have oatmeal with your yogurt and berries.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Duh! I finally get it. You're talking Sherlock Holmes in Retirement. Sounds even better. Congrats for "a definite end in sight."

Cheryl (seadwaters) – Waving at your day that's worse than very busy. Thanks for posting your mackerel recipe - just what I need to try to sell it to DW.

FutureFitChick – Happy Birthday! Kudos for exercises "with no cheating on timing." [What an awful story to happen to a sensitive 16 year old.]

maryann - Yay for the wonderful feeling of clothes fitting better.

ladym0208 – Super Kudos for focusing on your own motivation despite being let down by others. Such good food choices, including turning down fried fish.

nationalparker – Ten minutes isn't much of a lunch hour. Your turkey crumble sounds good.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Sloppy Joes are seductive. Now you got me drooling for them. Hope your toe finds a happy place in your shoes.

LoseToAll - Ouch for the back - hope it calms down even in the face of your full schedule.

flnu - Congrats on meeting your 5-pound goal. Do you have a reward in mind? Kudos for doing your anti-procrastination time.

Readers -
Quote:
day 12 Practicing Hunger Tolerance

what are you thinking?
If these kinds of thoughts overpower you and lead you to eat before dinner, try this experiment again and again, each time increasing the amount of time that elapses before you eat. If your fear of hunger is too strong, you might need to conquer it more gradually.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 125.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:57 AM   #240  

S/C/G: 194 / ticker / - 5 lbs

Height: 5'7"

Hi Coaches,

Had a great jog today! Just felt really good and less lumbering. Sometimes I like to imagine I am Godzilla and there are people around my feet, fleeing. Not today though. And I achieved a new speed -- 8 kph (12 minute mile). I was there oh so briefly but I was there. Exercise streak is unbroken but I don't know where my calendar is so I can't tell you how many days.

BBE: Sadly, rewards do not motivate me.

Maryann: I don't have any experience with alcoholism, but I imagine that it is narrowing, that it takes your choices away. For me, antidepressants do the exact opposite. I can access a whole range of thoughts and feelings that were previously closed to me. Antidepressants do not make me feel anything in particular but they do give me more choice. It is widening.
Closed Thread