Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 05:38 AM   #151  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Worked with DW for a long time replacing an over the stove vent. Ouch for how badly contractors can install something decades ago causing great pain when it's time to replace it. The old one was held up by 3 inch dry wall screws set at an angle to go searching for a stud. CREDIT moi for hanging in there to get it right so that the next one won't have that problem.

Walking, CREDIT moi, was to the market to get a chicken since we were too tired to make dinner. After cutting it up, I then indulged in picking at the carcass - a childhood treat that I love more than the chicken itself. Nevertheless, I'm moved by today's quote to remind myself that eating while standing is a slippery slope. Fridge currently contains way too many blueberries, strawberries, and sugar snaps - I'm in heaven.

onebyone – Your parkette project sounds neat - I've never heard that word before.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for time away from the computer, he typed self-consciously.

maryann - I have a relative who built a barn so that he never had to throw anything away. Then be built a second. He's now filling his third. I identify with your DS, LOL.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Kudos for talking to your BFF before the trip started.

Rosebud170 – Love your 81 year old with 'tude!!'

sparks17 – Shifting to a 6" sandwich from the foot long one is a great step forward.

Readers -
Quote:
day 3 Eat Sitting Down

....Most of the eating that people do while on thier feet is impulse eating, not food that they had planned to eat. When you sit down to eat, especially at your dining table, you've made a conscious decision to eat. You know these calories count, and you can more easily monitor what you eat - and, thus, avoid overeating. In essence, you're telling yourself, I'm sitting down, having a proper meal (or snack), and I'm eating what I'm supposed to be eating. When you impulsively eat standing up, you're telling yourself that it's okay to give in to this urge to eat, that it doesn't really matter, and that there won't be any consequences. But there will be consequences because every bite of food you put in your mouth has calories. Even if you're only eating raw carrots while you're standing up today, you might be eating chocolate while you're standing up tomorrow.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pgs 70-71.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:05 PM   #152  

S/C/G: 246/207/179

Height: 5' 5.5"

It is really a lovely day here in NY! I am hoping to get in a long walk after I get all my stuff done. One of the things on my list was going through some of the clothing I have in storage. I was a pleasure to try on some things that have not fit me for a few years and have them fit!!! Great motivation to sticking to plan. Yesterday's treat was froyo, again. This time I thought carefully before I started filling my cup, and it was about half the size it was last time - credit!

I am sort of hovering on Day 27 as the Seven Questions are kind of a lot to think of all at once. I am not in a hurry, though eventually the library is going to stop letting me renew this book! I still have the green book but I find myself not wanting to read it till I am done with the pink one...but I want to get it done so I can see which one I want to buy!!

lexxiss - your time at the pool sounds wonderful!

rosebud - your Y is amazing! I have thought of joining one...but the trip to the closest one is 2 buses and I just know that I will not go often enough to justify the expense.

maryann - your son is a panic! My kids had to learn from a young age that there is just no way to keep everything - 4 kids in an apartment means everyone, even Mom and Dad, has to be flexible!

onebyone - is a parkette a little park? how little is little??

Beth - your BFF is a keeper!

Bill - LOL - there can never be too many berries!!
Old 06-23-2013, 02:21 AM   #153  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I had a good day at work but did not even find time to eat my planned eggs and toast only having 1/2 bage.. I got home at 330pm again proving to myself that hunger is not an emergency. Still not hungry I decided to enjoy my scrambled eggs at home adding veggies and low carb tortilla. credit. I am grateful for the daily willingness to plan my meals AND the flexibility of being able to make a legitimate change in my meal plan, as Dr. Beck discusses in the green book. Sunday was a day off but I've agreed to fill in for a coworker. The $$ will come in handy when we pick up DD's car on Tuesday.

BBE, yay for completing that hood repair. Those 3" screws are really grippers. Have you ever tried picking at the chicken sitting down? I don't think standing up is a requirement lol

sparks, I hovered on the 7 questions, too. Lots of information and so helpful.

maryann, I'm back to eating from the freezer for this month prior to the big wedding. Saving $$ and decluttering, too.

Beth(fromDayton), yay for a reasonable sandwich atSubway! So nice your BFF plans food with your plan in mind.

Rosebud, I smile at the thought of an 81 year old water instructor AND recovering from a cold on a Hawaiian beach.

onebyone, yay for exercise and parkettes!
Old 06-23-2013, 05:54 AM   #154  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Supermoon Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Look up tonight to see the supermoon - when the full moon is closest to the earth in its orbit (perilune) and thus appears larger. Good things will happen. Dinner was leftover Thai chicken - left by a friend, visiting from a distance away, who brought it over for her own lunch then forgot it. So it was leftover from a meal I hadn't eaten. Felt weird, but it was good chicken. I ignored most of the rice, CREDIT moi.

Finished the installation of the vent hood after the glue dried overnight from DW's clever wood reinforcements of the cabinet to allow proper installation. Then, because I was tired of taking so long on a quick job, I was using a pair of priers on an awkwardly placed screw which slipped; I jerked my hand across sharp metal which removed a sliver of skin. Ouch - literally.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for Hunger is Not an Emergency to help with a busy schedule. [I've never in my life picked at a chicken sitting down. It's not done, LOL.]

sparks17 – Thinking carefully before filling your froyo cup is a super Beck strategy - Kudos. Yay for clothes shopping from your own closet. The Seven Questions Technique was difficult for me, but I finally got it done. It doesn't appear in the Green Book. FWIW, my city library is persnickety about only two renewals, but you can check it out again after returning it.

Readers -
Quote:
day 3 Eat Sitting Down

....You'll feel more satisfied. Since you'll be eating less food, it's important to see all of it spread in front of you at meal or snack time so you can be more visually satisfied. The less food you see, the more deprived you'll feel.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 71.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #155  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

I'm still at BFF's house (I'll leave in the early afternoon.) I got up this morning and yesterday morning and took half hour walks--yay for me!

We made an incredible mid-afternoon lunch yesterday--she made the fruit salad and the grilled chicken (which she had marinated for a few hours and was [b]fantastic[b]--moist and flavorful, and I made the stuffing and the veggies. It was a beautiful meal--all sorts of colors on the plates. I measured my food out carefully--and then didn't eat it all--even left uneaten fruit salad because I recognized I was full!

For a late dinner, we had lovely large salads with grilled chicken in it.

So, it was a totally OP day and the food was delicious and healthy.

I'm really proud of myself for talking walks both mornings. I'd forgotten headphones for my music so borrowed some from her. During the day, we did serious decluttering to her office--we made incredible progress on a disaster zone :-). I just wish we didn't live so far apart! Oh well. And I'll see her next month--she's coming down to stay with us for a week to take care of DD the younger after her jaw surgery. (while I go to work)

We have a nice egg breakfast (with lots of fruit) planned, we'll do a bit of cleaning up the mess generated by decluttering and then I'll head home.

It's about a 3.5 hour drive--I'm going to stop at an antique mall just off the highway on the way home. I'm not really an 'antique' person but I've found some lovely bowls for my kitchen at antique malls. I may try to find something old and useless for DH--he likes those :-) and tomorrow is our anniversary.

Have a great Beck day, all!
Old 06-24-2013, 04:48 AM   #156  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Did OK at a potluck lunch, CREDIT moi, since I had brought a tasty white bean and tomato salad. I did less well at an open house where standing was the only option and food just kept coming. I did avoid candy, soda and some other empty calories.

Heroics was rescuing my DD's car with a can of brake fluid. I did learn that loss of brake fluid doesn't imply a leak; it implies that disc brakes are wearing down and probably need replacing soon.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Happy Anniversary! May you have many, many more. You're so lucky that your BFF is so compatible with your eating style. Kudos for staying your path instead of using the visit as an excuse to wander. Hope you find some desirable antique on your way home..

Readers -
Quote:
day 3 Eat Sitting Down

....Let's say you're having cereal and an orange for breakfast. If you eat the cereal standing up, you'll probably eat it too quickly or absentmindedly. And then when you sit down, you'll have only the orange left, and you probably won't feel satisfied.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:12 AM   #157  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

A quick check in...I'm off to work and am determined to get my 15 minutes of "prework" exercies in. credit. I've weighed and have a plan for today. The rest is simple....just follow my plan. My weekend was good...OP....lots of exercise at work and lots of $$ which will come in handy when we go to pick up DD's car today or tomorrow. A simple NSV I noticed yesterday...I go up and down the stairs so many times....reading glasses downstairs...phone upstairs...take the dishes down bring dinner up take the dog out....I DO still remember how difficult just once was, especially the UP. I actually thought yesterday I wonder how many times I'd do it if I strapped 90# on myself everytime. Sometimes as I work so hard at my very small steps of progress I will forget just how far I've come. I will credit myself for persistence this morning ALA Beck.

BBE, kudos for a stellar food function and thx for automotive tips.

Beth(from Dayton), yay for such a well thought out and successful weekend and Happy Anniversary!

OK, better exercise!
Old 06-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #158  

Good morning! I had a good weekend and am looking forward to a good week, foodwise. It is truly summer now - very muggy - and I just don't FEEL like exercising. So I joined Fitocracy for a little extra motivation. It will take me forever to get very high in points but I have been consistent and I am looking forward to seeing where I am at the end of the summer!

Happy Anniversary Beth!!

Lexxiss - Credit to you for your long term consistency and hard work!!
Old 06-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #159  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Getting excited and a little anxious over my trip to Vermont and Boston. I will be trying to vacation with DH and DS and finish up two or three days of school with school chums at the same time. I also have to put together a ten minute formal reading of my thesis. Tough to select small parts of short stories which are meaningful and make sense yet don't go over time limit. My goal is to relax and enjoy the process but that certainly won't happen perfectly.

Grateful that both DS and DH are kind of laid back dudes on vacation who are happy to spend many hours in the hotel pool. Cerainly the Ben and Jerry's tour will be a highlight.

Food has been mostly OP. Fast Days are Monday and Tuesday so food is planned and easy. Pilates this morning and then a serious check off list before I fly off across the country.

Lexxiss: It is very satisfying to freezer cook until I can see the bottom of the freezer. The meals are still tasty and get very creative. I bet I can still go another two weeks when I get back if I just shop for fruits/=veggies and milk.

BethfromDayton: I have friends to which I have to travel. It is so great seeing them, I wonder how I let so much time go by.

BBE: You reminded me of DH's mostly unheralded heroics like putting salt in the water softener and fixing frozen plumbing up at the cabin. I need to remember them when I get cranky being stuck with the kitchen duties.

Sparks: I am fascinated with New York and the small spaces home shows (House Hunters, etc. . . .) that show beautiful, economical spaces that we here in expansive western suburbia can't imagine. I would love to live in an apartment in the big city at sometime in my life.

Last edited by maryann; 06-24-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:15 PM   #160  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

Today's been a good food day, but I still need to enter dinner into MFP. I probably ate a bit more than I intended (dinner out for our anniversary). However, we split a meal--and I still ended up full, eating only half the salad, some bread (probably too much bread), 1/2 potato, and about 1/4 of the steak. I did enjoy a glass of wine with dinner, deciding I wanted wine more than dessert.

They offered us a free desert (bananas foster cheesecake) since there had been a mistake made in the kitchen (made something 'for here' when it was supposed to be 'to go'), but we declined--I was full. Major credit for that!

Oh--and the flowers at my desk smell wonderful!
Old 06-25-2013, 05:27 AM   #161  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, in the early evening as a rain storm brewed. Just magic. Made it home in time before the rain started falling, but I was a little sad that I didn't get wet. Was shocked when I bumped into friends. My walks are private - what were they doing out on the street, LOL.

Food was 100%, CREDIT moi, mostly because I'm working on my stash of too many blueberries and too many strawberries. I blushed as I typed the Beck quote below since taking FREE samples at warehouse stores is one of my challenges.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Oh Yes, "credit myself for persistence" - you've come a long way. Good luck ransoming your DD's car today.

maryann - I can imagine that it's difficult to extract part of a short story. Good luck with your check off list.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Monster Kudos for turning down a FREE dessert. Yep, "Major credit."

sparks17 – Kudos for "I have been consistent" - apparently the theme for today.

Readers -
Quote:
day 3 Eat Sitting Down

....Here's another example: You're at a warehouse grocery store and try several of the free samples of food, which you eat while you're wandering around. Now you go home for dinner. You can eat only half of what your diet prescribes because of the calories you consumed at the store.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:13 AM   #162  

Good morning!! I had an unexpected treat last night...but I was very low on calories as I had not been very hungry during the day - sooo muggy! I was considering having more dinner but my husband suggested gelato while we were out walking in the evening. I got a small even though I wanted a large, and I did not have extra dinner anyway when I got home, so some credit there. In the end, I was only at about 1,600, the lowest end of my planned calories.

OK, help me think this through. My larger plan is to stay within 1,600 and 2,000 calories per day and to check my average every weekend. Plus I have an exercise plan and I evaluate how I did every weekend. I also plan my food options for the week on Friday nights when I make my shopping list. And I make a daily plan, as far as I can, every morning. So, on a day like yesterday, when I ate a smaller breakfast and lunch than I had planned becasue I was just too hot to be very hungry, and then ate my planned dinner, and I exercised twice as planned, but I then topped off my calories with an unexpected treat...how far off plan was I really?

I am not a plan-ahead kind of person so I was worried when I started Beck that I would not be able to succeed. I do feel good with my level of consistency over the past few months...and I am down another three pounds over the past 2.5 weeks. But I know that I am not really at a "Beck level" of planning and maybe I should step it up if I want to be successful for the long haul...just thinking out loud, I guess!

Bill - so you own the streets, do you! lol

Beth - the smell of flowers is as satisfying as dessert, I think!

Maryann - well, I have always wanted to try suburban living! The thought of my own washer/dryer and a yard and a basement is pretty heady, let me tell you! Actually, there are plenty of neighborhoods in Brooklyn where I can have those things, but we live in an apartment (we actually own it - it is a co-op) so we can afford for me to stay home and homeschool. Everything in life is a trade-off, I think.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:11 AM   #163  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Question good enough needs shaking up

Wow Coaches, hello!

Things have truly ramped up here for me and my weight climbed overnight. 254. It's within that 5lb cushion I have.

So this is what I need to examine about my faulty (sabotaging?) thinking. My weight goes up and over that 250 mark. I feel anxious, a little panicky, I do what I need to do, ie. re-focus and keep that up until I see 250 again. Once I do, I feel a huge wave of relief and I relax and I am just so thrilled to be "back at 250" I don't even consider being BELOW 250. I honestly don't. It's like those numbers, for me, well they don't exist. I don't know why this is, why I think this, why I think 250 is "good enough"? Do I need some Dr. or my body to do something bad to clue me in that I need to lose more?

Anyway I am pretty sure this is the thinking pattern that is keeping me stuck at 250. Can you guys suggest any response cards to counter this? Specifically the relief I feel at seeing 250 which allows me to take the pressure/vigilance off my foodplan cause I simply need to eat a bit less and to eliminate some foods from my diet once more to get the scale moving. I'm certainly doing the activity these days.

Must go--! Bye!
Old 06-25-2013, 08:35 AM   #164  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I'm right there with you OneByOne - my weight went up five pounds in three days after it was going back close to ticker level after the trip. A three-day span of working hard in the yard, eating too much because I 1) was ravenous, 2) felt I "deserved it" because i'd worked so hard in 90+degrees with 97% humidity and 3) figured I'd burned a HECK of a lot of calories, so ... have at it. CLEARLY, disordered thinking and lack of proper planning. I feel like I'm a failure for gaining weight.

How about this - can you, when aiming back at 250, not weigh for two weeks or whatever range of time you feel will get you UNDER 250? Then set your goal, not at 250 or vaguely "under" 250, but set it at 246. Then it's not all the way to 245, but fairly distant from 250. Get the next goal in mind and SHOOT for it! I'm going to take my own advice. Now I'm aiming to get back to where I was on my ticker, but I have to get down to 170 first!! ack.

Now have a 15 pound turkey finally thawed in the fridge ... (DH's company gift at xmas) ... I don't get home until 6 to begin prepping it. He didn't cook it on his day off yesterday. So either we eat full dinner at what - 10 p.m., which is not gonna happen, or we do something else and still roast the turkey for future meals. I needed the freezer space for other stuff including a bag of ice, which I am sure sounds silly. DH starts working nights tomorrow night, so no mealtime together until Sunday night and we take his folks out to celebrate their anniversary that night.

Landscaping has been going full force, except for yesterday evening - finished up the mowing and it kinda selfishly put me in a cranky mood. I did 9/10 of the yard and left ONE area hoping DH would do it. I've mowed the yard, which is sizable for a push mower, the last three or four times now. I was hoping he'd say, let me finish this up for us. Nope. But he does other things, but I just hate that one section. I asked him to do it finally on Sunday, and he laughed and said, oh you left that for me huh? Which grated on my nerves. I wanted to be a snit and say I've done it the last several times but kept my trap shut. Finally last night when I knew he wouldn't do it, just DID it. Then he said oh i'll help you, want me to do that? Some days I just don't take things right. I think this week I'll enjoy my time alone in the evenings.

I stopped at the library yesterday on the way home and picked up several books, a few of which were on hold and others captured my attention by their covers. I completely judge a book by its cover. I know, I know Then I wanted to ask one of my librarians for a note to take home, saying that I need to read an hour a night. Wonder if they do that, ha ha.

Rambly check in. Will get caught up and post a normal note tomorrow. Aiming for on plan today. Even if my plan isn't superb.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:37 AM   #165  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

From Beck Solution via Facebook:

Tuesday Reality Check: If you’re in a bad mood and think, “I don’t care, I’m just going to eat,” remind yourself that overeating will only ultimately cause you to feel even worse because you’ll compound the situation by adding feeling guilty and badly about your eating. Ask yourself, “Do I want one cause of my bad mood, or two?”

This is such a good reminder for me today.
Closed Thread