Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 08:20 AM   #181  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post Tgif

Coaches

Can't stay must go but wanted to check in. I am about to weigh in, and wash my hair and get to the guild for this morning's work. we will be done at noon today due to my ride's previous commitments. Thank goodness.

I had to laugh I read this:
Quote:
day 3 Eat Sitting Down
as "day 3 eat standing down" which made me picture me approaching the food on the stovetop where I most frequently eat standing up and then hearing a big scary police-riot squad-like voice saying "stand down" as in step away from the food! Sheesh. It's probably a good day to paint things for me today with my mind so freely free-associating.

And just to wrap up yesterday's note, I just read an email message that my artist friend died at 5:21pm yesterday. She died quietly as her family held her hand. I am sorry for this loss.

Time to go.

Enjoy your day and LIVE IT UP.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #182  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Happy Friday, all. We're enjoying a strange cool snap in weather, and I woke to temps in the low 70s and tomorrow's high will be low 70s. Can't believe it! And now want to take a half vacation day to enjoy it and take advantage of the temps while doing landscaping - so will just do a super quick post. I need to crack down on off plan eating. But that implies that I HAVE A PLAN. Tonight: will plan the weekend out, including my dinner out with DH's folks for their anniversary. Need to drink more water, too - I'm slacking on that this week.

Booked my trip home to see my family for my folks 62nd wedding anniversary in about five weeks. Rather soon after the last one, but when the fall starts up my job gets super busy. At this point, it's just me going, but since DH is off that weekend and it was just $$ that prevents us from both going, I'll keep my eye out on fares. They rarely drop now, though.

OneByOne - I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of this friend; you have suffered such a series of losses here in the first half of this year. Hopefully this caps it for quite a while.

Bill - I had to smile at your tracking down the 50# weights How is the new car? What's your wife's favorite feature? I'm driving a 2003 and hope it holds out several more years...keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:31 PM   #183  

S/C/G: 246/207/179

Height: 5' 5.5"

Terribly busy but just popping in to say - I told my husband that I don't want to go to the froyo place anymore. Last night was not good...but today has been on track. Credit.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:16 PM   #184  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I keep having one okay day followed by one totally whacked out day. For some reason, I got it in my head that I should put together a couple of good days before I posted again. Yeah, I'm seeing the flaw in that logic.

So, I'm kind of back at the beginning again as far as re-establishing my good habits.

I will start tomorrow with this one: eat sitting down (and sitting down in the car doesn't count). I'll be back tomorrow night to let you all know how I did.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:08 AM   #185  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

We're at the airport waiting for our flight. I didn't get much sleep but I made new response cards. I feel like I have a good plan for the Hospitality Suite--and my family is on board to ask me if I'd read my response cards recently if they see me overindulging.

I've been successful--I can continue to be successful!
Old 06-29-2013, 06:17 AM   #186  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Harvested more snow peas from our community garden, the next to the last bunch. I planned to eat as I picked, and planned to do so standing - one of the great joys of summer. We've had a good year. The tomato plants are dawdling like September will be a good enough time to ripen. Just to make sure that my "Sit Consistently" skills weren't permanently diminished, when I was transferring a chunk of doggie bag lasagna into a plastic container, one noodle with sauce didn't make it BUT, I didn't pop it in my mouth as every cell in my body called for, CREDIT moi. At dinner I ordered a sane meal with broccoli and salad as sides and only had one bite of the Italian garlic bread. CREDIT moi for skipping garlic bread during the meal and Super CREDIT moi for not popping it into DW's open doggie bag, just in case I changed my mind.

Walking, CREDIT moi, got an errand attached because I'd dawdled and a payment had to arrive that day. I won't diminish the walking credit just because I unnecessarily procrastinated mailing a payment I've known about for a month.

onebyone – Sending supportive thoughts for processing all the passing's you've experienced this year. Kudos for remaining yourself enough to make me LOL at "day 3 eat standing down."

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Whatever it takes to keep the habits habitual. It does surprise me that I can 'forget' about the sitting down from time to time. I just returned Michael Polen's Cooked mostly unread. I absolutely loved his other two books but didn't get into the history of cooking. Perhaps a cook book reviewer will have a different take.

nationalparker – Yay for a day cool enough to get to your landscaping. LOL at the thought that you have to have a plan before you can be off-plan - Yep. [DW's new car isn't delivered yet - hopefully by Monday. She's most excited about the battery mode of the hybrid.]

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Terrific idea to have your family ask about reading your Response Cards rather than bugging you about the food. Kudos for thinking of that one.

sparks17 – Goodbye froyo, it's not you, it's me, LOL.

Readers -
Quote:
day 3 Eat Sitting Down

How to Sit Consistently
Stop yourself whenever you're tempted to eat while standing. Remind yourself why it's important: Even if you can get away now with eating while standing, you're putting yourself at risk for gaining weight at some point in the future. You have to make eating while sitting a lifelong habit.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 72.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #187  
Rosebud170

S/C/G: 311/208/176

Aloha coaches,
I am back from Hawaii...me plus seven lbs that is... the good stuff: my dad and I split most meals plus shared a salad at most meals as well. Most of the food we ate was real food..not processed fast food...there was lots of swimming and walking with a bit of water aerobics in the ocean happening throughout the week. Any dessert items eaten were bites from a shared portion. I think I ate sitting down all the time. I cannot remember a time where I stood..I really enjoyed the food I ate there. The challenges: I felt too confident about managing my health plan while there thinking that, since I did well while in Paris With the butter/cheese/bread/wine deal there...part of the reason Paris worked out well was because we walked everywhere...I found myself slipping more and more as this week went on...no bread at all, to one piece to a roll, etc.... So the scale is up a bit and I am not going to freak out...back on plan NOW!!

It was a wonderful trip with my DD and one of her girl cousins 8 months older than her hanging with their grandpa and with mommas in tow. My favorite quote from the car ride home last night was , "cousins are BEYOND best friends..." And then back to singing about poop and other hilarious topics...sniff.

The sun was wonderful and the Disney resort, while being extremely kid/family friendly, was not irritating for adults...there really was something for everyone and we got to go exploring outside the resort which was so great...

Happy to be back...I do solemnly swear to read my cards, eat within my plan and not believe that part of myself that sometimes thinks that I cannot get back on track ASAP or go on vacation without taking good care of myself. The journey would be very boring without some snags along the way to remind us of these things, right?
Old 06-29-2013, 11:17 PM   #188  
Green Tomatoes

I did pretty well with eating only sitting down. I caught myself twice with my finger in my mouth, but I didn't lick (is that kind of like not inhaling?) -- instead, I washed off the food in the sink. And once, I didn't catch myself until after the deed was done. So, I'm going to practice this one again tomorrow: eat only in eating places.

BillBlueEyes: thank you for the reminder about Cooked. That book was on my radar before our trip, but I forgot about it. I just put myself on the waiting list at the library.

Rosebud170: welcome home and back on track!
Old 06-30-2013, 12:02 AM   #189  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I had planned on a day of landscaping, but intead it started raining about 20 minutes after I got out there. I stayed out working another 40 minutes until it was dripping in my eyes too much. Rained off and on ... I hope tomorrow morning is better weather. I'm enjoying the rare cool temps, though.

Could have done better today. Could have done worse. Should have done better, and have my plan for tomorrow.

Bill - Your community garden sounds wonderful. I'm envious. I have plots near me (1.5 miles away) that are very inexpensive, but I don't set the time aside to work another garden. I want to get a good compost pile going as my next project. DH kids me as I have 184 projects in my mind.

Rosebud - Glad to hear that your trip was great - would love to hear more about Hawaii! Top 3-4 tips for those planning trips there? DH would LOVE to go there and I'd love to surprise him with a trip there one year, but know it'll be $$$ ...

GardenerJoy - You had me smiling at not licking ... good analogy Let's hope for another on track day tomorrow. I always eat sitting down but now am thinking that makes me lazier than others who don't ... I love my dishes - all varied and all ones I enjoy setting a pretty table with.

Sunday goal - check in here at end of day with a successful report
Old 06-30-2013, 05:44 AM   #190  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Busy'd myself all day doing stuff. Some days I'd hate to be judged for how I use my time. It just gets consumed. We attended a "Lawn Party" held to raise money for a worthy cause where there was only a modest amount of food of which I ate a modest amount, CREDIT moi. It was a pleasure not to have to face a typical table of too much. Took out of town friends to dinner in a diner where I ate what I'd planned. That meant leaving the mashed potatoes behind and not snarfing all the fried eggplant offered.

Gym was gym, CREDIT moi. It's fun to do gym on days so hot that the air conditioning is a welcome relief. Rather than thinking about getting out, I enjoyed being there knowing that a heat wave would hit me at the front door when leaving.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Adding to my list of best lines ever, "but I didn't lick."

nationalparker – Kudos for continuing to do landscaping for 40 minutes in the rain - that's determination.

Rosebud170 – Aloha! Yay for real food even though on vacation in an exotic place. Kudos for beating down the Sabotaging Thought, "sometimes thinks that I cannot get back on track ASAP or go on vacation without taking good care of myself."

Readers -
Quote:
day 3 Eat Sitting Down

How to Sit Consistently
... So make it your goal to sit down whenever you eat. Consider placing a note that says "sit down" in your appointment book, diet notebook, or on your refrigerator or cabinet door. It might also help to reset the table immediately after finishing a snack or meal as a reminder to sit down the next time you eat.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 72.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 07-01-2013 at 04:42 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-30-2013, 08:16 AM   #191  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Just enough time for a quick check in before work. Yesterday was stellar-lots of exercise at work and 100% OP. It's working in my favor as the scale shows a good number and I'm noticing, as well, how my clothes are fitting nicer, I believe, as a result of my at home workout.

Rosebud, welcome home! Kudos for such mindfulness during your vacation! I'll bet that those added pounds will come right back off!

gardenerjoy, glad for your reporting in to us as you rehone your Beck skills.

Interesting:
My waitress-coworker (who is 68) started in with a group of 11 pedometer gals in January. Their pedometers hook to a computer program which compiles results. They each kicked in $50. the winner to take all. My coworker won-almost 1 million steps. She gets the $550. and I get an idea of just how many steps I take since the majority of hers came from our workplace. Ah, those numbers sure add up.

Ok, off to work.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #192  

S/C/G: 246/207/179

Height: 5' 5.5"

onebyone - so sorry to hear of your friend's death. But glad for her that she was not alone and for her family that it was peaceful.

nationalparker - 62nd wedding anniversary? That is so wonderful!!!

rosebud -Sounds like you had a wonderful time with your family! And I am sure that you will lose hose extra pounds since you know how to lose!

gardenerjoy - lick/inhale/LOL!!!

Bill - AC is a great thing. Could you imagine going to the gym in the summer without it??!!

lexxiss - almost a MILLION steps??? woooooooowwwwww that is a lot of walking!

Yesterday...was good in that I planned to eat at maintenance levels because my husband wanted to go out to dinner, so I ate a regular breakfast and a small lunch. And I ate barely half of what I ordered, which just shows how huge portions are! We stopped by a bakery and picked up 6 pignoli cookies to share when we got home and they are still in the bag.

So that was all good. But. I just eat out way too much! Since I have been keeping track of my calories, I realize that I eat out more than I ever thought I did. Mostly real food, no fast food, but still. Something to think about!!

Today I am planning to fit in those cookies and make asian chicken and stringbeans for dinner. My husband wants to go to a biergarten for lunch, though...I find myself hoping it will rain! That is easier than going and trying to figure out calories AND restraining myself

See you all tomorrow!
Old 06-30-2013, 06:43 PM   #193  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone--

I posted last night from my phone but it got eaten by the internet gremlins.

We're on vacation and I'm really pleased with how my eating has been going. I've made some special requests (salad instead of fries with a burger) (chicken fancy-something without the cheese and bacon), a custom-designed-for-me chicken taco salad without a shell!

Dinner last night was huge--I ordered a burger. I cut it in half and enjoyed half of it a great deal. I wanted more, but set my watch for 5 minutes and told myself I'd decide then if I was going to eat more. 2 minutes into that, I asked DD to move it to the empty table behind her. She did--and I was fine--and I certainly was satisfied. For lunch, I even cut my chicken breast into the "part I'm going to eat" and the "part I'm not going to eat"--and stuck with it.

I feel pretty confident about keeping on track for the next couple of pre-party vacation days. I plan on getting some exercise in--we didn't do any today (unless you count strolling through a Texas antique mall), but I did take a 30 minute walk from terminal to terminal at O'Hare yesterday. Our hotel has a fitness center and a pool, so I'll check that out later tonight.

I'm committed to our vacation not being a setback for my weight loss. I've already discovered that one pair of the shorts I brought are loose (I brought the two smallest shorts I had, so it's not as if I had others to bring).

The travel scale showed me at 3 lbs under ticker this morning. At home, it weighed a pound higher than our main scale--I'm just going to treat it as 'real' and then when I get home, be prepared for it to be a pound off.

Best to all,
Old 06-30-2013, 11:58 PM   #194  
Green Tomatoes

I successfully ate in only my eating places. I'm going to keep focusing on that one habit until I get it solid -- especially since a few other good habits seem to be coming along for the ride.

My healthy lifestyle pretty much fell apart in June, except for one thing. I kept exercising. I met my goal today of 1000 minutes in June after our return from Paris. So, yay for that! It's definitely something to build on.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:18 AM   #195  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Discussion continues on the July 2013 Thread

Please join us as this discussion continues on:

Beck Diet For Life/Solution – July 2013 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:
List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 07-01-2013 at 05:22 AM.
Closed Thread