Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 11:37 PM   #121  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Smile I'm back...... for a day!

Hello Coaches,

I didn't check the computer from the lake at all this weekend, which I admit was nice, but I thought about you all and how I "should be" checking in. Anyway, we had a busy Father's Day weekend as my 2 nieces and a nephew ended up staying with us at our lake house for the weekend (long story). It worked out well for our kids, who enjoyed having their cousins around, but kind of changed our plans to celebrate Father's Day with just our little family all weekend. CREDIT for adapting our plans without too much anxiety! My husband was a real trooper, I must say. And, for some reason, I didn't have the same urge to munch on snack food all weekend like I usually do at the lake, which made it much easier this time to exercise my resistance muscle MOST of the time. It has been that way for the past week (less of an urge for snacks), actually, and I love it! I needed the break for my peace of mind. Maybe it has to do with my personal training workouts?!? If so, I can't wait to continue with them!

This might be my only check-in for awhile, because I leave for Ireland with my mom and sisters and a cousin early Wednesday morning and will most likely not have WiFi access where we are staying. I am not even taking my computer and I am debating about taking my Samsung Note. Still learning how to use it, so might just leave it at home, too, and live primitively while I am there.....LOL!!! I am taking a journal and one or two other weight loss books. Trying to keep things to a minimum, because I usually way overpack!!! I will be thinking of all of you and wishing you well. I hate leaving my DH and kids, but it will be a good experience all around for everyone, I think. Perhaps my last chance ever to be in Ireland with my mom. She is 79 years old. We have an okay relationship, but I am hoping that this trip will bring us closer. Not getting my expectations too high or unrealistic, but this is an opportunity I can't pass up. Please pray for my safety. If I knew that I would for sure get back safely and the kids and DH would for sure be safe while I'm gone, I would be much less anxious about leaving the country. But that's life. We live and breathe and take chances every day. No guarantees. I need to practice my faith and trust that all will be well. Working on that as I pack, do laundry, try to leave the house in okay condition, etc. DH is very self-sufficient and capable with the house and kids, thank God!!! Otherwise, I would be a total wreck and would never leave!!! So I will do my best to embrace this opportunity as the blessing that it is. There will be time to be with my family when I return. I will just miss them so much..... including my three pups!!!

onebyone: So sorry about your shocking finding that your friend's mother and your friend have both died! That must feel horrible! Have you tried journaling about your feelings about this? It might help you process things. Good for you for taking it as a lesson that we only pass this way but once and for moving ahead with things in your own life. Too bad the eating disorder thing wasn't at all what you expected. I applaud you with going through with the counseling that day anyway. I can relate to the feeling of something holding you back and really wanting to find out what that is. I hope you get to the bottom of it! YOU CAN DO THIS!!! Keep on keeping on and putting one foot in front of the other, and BREATHE!!!

spanky: Sorry for your stress and anxiety lately! Keep your chin up and remember deep breathing exercises. Things will be well soon. Sending a big hug your way!!! How is that adorable puppy?!?

to everyone else!!! "See" you when I get home.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:17 AM   #122  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday - No Malware Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – The malware threat is gone; it came from a third party advertiser. I didn't take a chance so I took a 3FC vacation day. I missed my daily fix. At Father's day dinner on Sunday I had double salad instead of rice pilaf, CREDIT moi. I pretend that baked lamb has no calories since there's no visible fat. Yay for denial.

Toilet saga update: DS and I installed a new toilet last night since we were never happy with any new flapper we could find to fix the old one. Good news is that it's a dual-flush type so it saves even more water. Super CREDIT moi since I've installed toilets before that took two days because I had to go out for forgotten parts.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – LOL at " bleu cheese to put on top of his cottage cheese???" Kudos for resisting telling your customer that his taste is broken.

Beverlyjoy – Kudos for having trained your DH to send excess food to be soaped. I admire that all the gardeners I know constantly share plants.

spanky - Ouch for family drama - in whatever variety it appears. Kudos for being here instead of head first in a bag of chips.

IBelieveInMe2 – Have a wonderful trip to Ireland with your mother. Kudos for choosing a DH who can manage the house and kids while you're gone.

Readers -
Quote:
day 3 Eat Sitting Down

. . . Do you do any of the following? . . .
  • Spoon ice cream out of the container or reach into a bag of chips while you're walking around talking on the phone.
  • Take a piece of candy or a pretzel as you walk past the snack jar siting on a coworker's desk.
  • Nibble on something you see when opening the refrigerator to get something else out.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 70.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:30 AM   #123  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

From Beck via FB:

Tuesday Reality Check: Sometimes in dieting (and in life), you just have to say, “Oh, well.” To us, this means: I don’t like this situation, but there’s nothing I can do to change it (not if I want to achieve my goal) so I just have to accept it, stop fighting against it, and move on.

This is a good thing for me to think about with a busy weekend of having food around from the potluck. Oh well.... Yes, I better start planning.

The past couple of days I have stayed within my plan. I was suppose to have a turkey burger for dinner - but, realized that I left them out on the counter too long to eat. So, I switched it up a bit. I had an extra snack last night.... figured I 'deserved it' for working so much in the garden. I didn't deserve them, however.

One time in the day I wanted to eat extra and I DID pull out some resistance techniques.

I am trying to the garden all spruced up because I am hosting a potluck for my storytelling guild. My friend, LeighAnne, is helping me. DH is doing his garden stuff too. It will look nice.

billbe
- glad you get to bring this chapter of the toilet to a close. Credit for double salad. I LOVE lamb too.

Ibeleiveinme - have a wonderful and safe trip. Credit for taking your journal and books to help you stay aware of the food. Have fun.

lexxiss/debbie
- credit for checking and sending your daily plan for the day to your private sponsor. That is a winning combination.

Have a great day everyone. I am off to rehearse.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 06-18-2013 at 07:32 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:57 AM   #124  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I stuck with my plan yesterday until I got invited out to dinner w/mom. I made healthy choices, so I'm happy with that. I've been keeping up with my at home exercise. Yay.

Ibelieveinme2, have a great trip!

BBE, I will second a cheer for double salad!

spanky, sending you supportive thoughts as you encounter family drama.

Beverlyjoy, yay for squashing the urge to eat extra. Your garden event sounds fun.

OK, off to work!
Old 06-18-2013, 08:16 AM   #125  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

I missed 3FC during the time my computer was telling me about the malware threat. Knowing how hard it is to get rid of malware, I thought it best not to take a risk.

Food was OP yesterday, even if not quite to my expected dinner plan. I also didn't grocery shop last night, but I will tonight. I'm trying to "eat from the freezer" for a while, so my only real need is fresh produce.

One of the advantages on my ARC is "get up and down from the floor more easily" and I thought it was the weight loss that was helping that (and it was easier). BUT, it's getting harder again, which makes me think that it was the walking as much as the weight loss--and the walking is stalled because my foot was hurting again. I'm wearing different shoes today--I usually don't wear hiking shoes to work--but perhaps that'll help my foot and allow some walking. I see the podiatrist on Friday.

I need to start reading Beck again--I've stalled on weight loss, but it's because I'm not exercising my resistance muscle at parties (including party weekends). I do fine on 'regular' days--even 'regular' weekends--but at a party, I just eat and eat and eat.

We'll be on vacation the week of the 4th of July--and that will include a 4 day party (no joke there)--and I'm in charge of the food for one of the Hospitality suites. I have no doubt it'll be a great party--but I've got to recognize and FOLLOW THROUGH on that I can't eat my way through it!

Take care, all.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #126  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

I took a break with the malware warning, as well.

Back from the black hole which is camping with my extended family. Credit for not touching mom's mac and cheese -- a rare occasion. Thankfully DH went with us this time which is always better. My family has strong personalities which sometimes drown my sense of self. Then I try to resurrect independence by eating everything around me. I'll show them!

In any case I am two pounds up this morning but on my second fast day for my two day diet. I feel pretty well and I am grateful to have a structure.

Happy traveling to IBelieveinMe2.

I hear everybody who is bemoaning weekends. I want to remember that my food plan is not a punishment but a gift to myself.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:41 PM   #127  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello! Back into the groove, back at home and back at work. And back up on the scale. I've not had time to read posts but want to say, Maryann - that was the best thing I could read today your last line of "my food plan is not a punishment but a gift to myself." That goes on a card for me today! I have been viewing it as a punishment and viewing getting on the scale as a further punishment. (Up several pounds after being gone 10 days and nearly all meals at restaurants ... will reweigh each morning to see what's sodium and bloat and what's legit.)

A gift for my future. That's good. Thank you.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #128  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Back again, too.

Coaches

I stayed off here too due to malware threat. *credit to the wizards here for banishing the evil intruders.

My food has been even lately and on plan so that's good. *credit for the planning and the checking in with my food buddy and for posting here.

*credit for standing on the scale and seeing 250.6 today. Official weigh in day is Friday. Perhaps I will be less.

We have had rain every day or every night for many weeks now. I went ahead and transplanted over half of my plants into my garden before I wore out a few days ago. It's rained, hard, since then and the soil in the garden is almost completely clay. After researching transplanting in the rain/wet soil it's just about the worst thing you can do and the plants can die. But if it's always raining and the soil never gets to dry out and it's already past the middle of June? Well, I need to plant the rest of those plants and so I am planning on getting out there in a few hours to finish the job.

Ok-I'm back from the garden and everything is planted. Weird garden this year-all plants no seeds sown. The "soil" is hardly that. Super hard and lumpy clay clods. On the plus side, not many weeds. The plants I put in before are ok it seems. *crossing my fingers for my garden this year* All super hot peppers and exotic tomatoes with melons, cucs and eggplant and 3 celery plants to round out the group. I also planted portulaca flowers just cause I love them. I am exhausted. I don't recall feeling like this after gardening before. I don't like it. Oh well. *credit for the exercise and the job done.

Be back later.

Last edited by onebyone; 06-18-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #129  
Rosebud170

S/C/G: 311/208/176

Hello coaches,
I have not dropped off the face of the earth...just sooo many things happening right now with closing out the schoolyear and a dd dance recital and Girl Scout overnight in the zoo (I am a co leader so I spent night too) and now I just found out that I am hosting our "drink wine and chat it up after last day of school for teachers" party tomorrow. I have been eating OP and exercising (water aerobics and hill walking) so credit moi for that! I leave for Hawaii on Saturday and am not nearly as worried about what I will eat there compared to Paris....it will be a challenge in some ways but not in the butter/bread/wine/cream kind of way that was Paris!

We started a new Healthywage challenge on Friday and we have new team members. We took our "before" picture of all of us trying to cram through the front door (5 abreast) of the Y and acting like, because we were too big, we couldn't get in. Fun!

I missed the malware warning but wasn't here anyway...hope nobody got zinged...
Old 06-18-2013, 10:20 PM   #130  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

Today was a good food day, although I didn't measure my dinner portions (I guesstimated half minus a bit of each of the two serving packages.) (Then it looked like to much so I gave more to DH.) Too much processed food, but since before I started this we were eating out at least 4 or 5 nights a week, this is a big improvement!

I walked twice today--in my hiking shoes. That made a huge difference--they are sturdier and my foot bends less. I can't wait until I get back to really walking--2.5 months off has really undone 3 months of improved agility and strength.

This weekend, I'm going to visit my BFF--my turn to make the trek (she lives about 3.5 hours from me). We're already planning meals and I'm trying to figure out if I can fit Mediterranean food into my meal plan--they have the best Arabic restaurants near her! If not, we'll cook at home and it'll be easy to stay OP.

I'm going to finish planning tomorrow's food--it does work better when I get it all into MFP the night before.

I'm realizing I'm starting to eat too fast again. I'm back to having to consciously think about it at every meal, reminding myself to put my fork down, to not get ready to take the next bite until I'm done with the bite I'm eating. I started re-reading the pink book this morning, too.

What I really need to do is address party eating--I need a workable plan that isn't "put head in sand" (which hasn't worked). I need to start thinking ANYTHING between "I'm going to eat that" and actually eating it. I don't even have a sabotaging thought--I have no thought at all--I just do it. I can undo an entire week's worth of careful eating with one party night. I go to too many parties and events to continue that. I can do it and stay stable--I can't do it and lose.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:16 AM   #131  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Visited my DD to see her new kittens. (I only ate a small piece of the offered carrot cake, CREDIT moi.) The challenge is that I'm not a cat person. Cats seem to know this and immediately jump on my lap to try to convert me. I've been in a room of ten people with two cats on my lap, LOL. The good news is that kittens tend to either sleep or jump about so I was spared.

Exercise for the day was holed up finishing a book for my book club tonight beating on myself for putting it off until the last hours. Song for the Blue Ocean by Carl Safina is as depressing a book as I've read. He paints a bleak picture of the health of the ocean as overfished.

onebyone – Yep, Kudos for the exercise of finishing up your garden.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for keeping up with the at home exercises.

Beverlyjoy – Love to read that you're feeling flexible enough to work too much in the garden.

maryann - I'm stealing this, "my food plan is not a punishment but a gift to myself."

nationalparker – Welcome back. Ten days of restaurant food could take a while to settle away.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – I always laugh at the combos that "eat from the freezer" produces. Yay for hiking shoes for foot support. LOL at, "put head in sand" for a party strategy.

Rosebud170 – Wondering where you slept in the zoo. Did each girl get to choose which cage to pitch her tent in?

Readers -
Quote:
day 3 Eat Sitting Down

. . . When you think about it now, I'm sure you recognize that all calories add up. But at the moment you're actually eating, you might rationalize what you're doing with the sabotaging thought, It won't really matter if I eat this.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 70.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:33 AM   #132  

S/C/G: 246/207/179

Height: 5' 5.5"

Glad things are safe here now!

I have been mostly OP....yesterday I fought off cravings while shopping for ice cream and Starbucks brownies and Five Guys and waited to eat till I got home. But then I ate an unplanned bowl of cereal after my planned lunch. Better choice but still not planned. I know that it was cravings, since I didn't want more soup or a salad...it was also hunger as I was satisfied afterwards and stayed on plan the rest of the day.

Am I the only woman here who should be planning for some extra calories at certain times of the month?
Old 06-19-2013, 08:07 AM   #133  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Today from Beck Solution via Facebook:

Wednesday Sabotage: I want to have an off track day so I can eat all the foods I can’t while dieting. Response: There’s no food I can eat when I’m off track that I can’t also eat when I’m on track. And, when I plan it and eat it on track, I enjoy what I’m eating more because I don’t feel guilty about it. Guilt tastes bad!

I will post later... off to a performance.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:25 AM   #134  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Surfing the "white water" this week--a week too busy with the extras of summer--extra driving my son around the city for 'Vacation This' and 'Vacation That'. All the puppy action. Friends and parties and Dr appointments etc.

Of course, with all the action, my anxiety has vanished!

But totally On Plan and hoping for a loss at Sunday weigh-in.

maryann - This will become a Classic for me! "my food plan is not a punishment but a gift to myself.

Bethfrom Dayton:-I do have strategies. One is to pile on the raw vegetables. The other is to eat ahead at home and stick to coffee. I go for the socializing, not the food and I'm very prone to eating mindlessly while talking! Also, I was on medical leave once for 5 months while my foot healed from a total reconstruction that went bad. Very long recovery and I got to my highest weight that year--I think you're doing great!

BillBE-that's the tough part about book clubs, having to read things you might have preferred not to. On the other hand perhaps it classifies you as diverse and widely read.

sparks I have passed the menopause ordeal and only have to deal with the absence of estrogen now. But those days were extremely difficult for me and mostly led to binging and 'Eatin' Nasty'! Mostly I just had to get back to the plan after the craziness of Hormone Week and mop up the damage.

OK, off to work and the 'Vacation Speed Rally'! Best to all!

spanky

Last edited by spanky; 06-19-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #135  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Yesterday was my final workday of the summer AND I finally submitted my thesis. It had been approved weeks ago but I was dragging my feet on the edits. In the end, no big deal, and I am free. It makes me wonder about all the other things I procrastinate on which would take only a moment to clean up. Truth be told, though, I tend err to the compulsive side. Always cleaning things up, failing to relax and live.

Food OP and weight 1 pound over ticker. I am putting on a big push to lose a pound because I will change my ticker early seeing as I am traveling on the first of the month. DS is enjoying robotics class and has music lessons today. Currently he is burning a few brain cells with a few hours of tv. I think it is good for him to relax and live, too. He works hard for a little guy.

Rosebud: Good Gravy — the evils of a teacher's party. I went through my share last week and have to say I did pretty well. Good Luck and enjoy your summer.

nationalparker: I will be traveling in the next few weeks and really hear you when you talk about eating at restaurants three meals a day. I am planning on only one meal "out" a day. This depends on me finding a a little food market and making a commitment.

bethfromdayton: reading your "part plan" ideas reminding me of a trick I need to re-adopt. I tell myself, "I can eat anything I want for one meal tomorrow if I don't eat the party food." The net seems to be positive.

BBE: What is it about cats loving cat haters? I am a complete dog-o-phile.

Sparks17: Credit for distinguishing craving from hunger. That seems a skill I am doomed to practice and not perfect.

beverleyjoy: "Guilt tastes bad." That is a biggie.

Last edited by maryann; 06-19-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Closed Thread