Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 08:55 AM   #61  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I won't weigh until tomorrow morning when I'm home to the scale. Yesterday was a good Beck day. I need to plan my meals for today since we're traveling.

BBE, I'm so sorry to hear of your unfortunate accident. Good news...we were told numerous times after DH tore his quadracep that it would have been much better to have a broken leg...it is such a faster heal. I have total faith in your ability to take this with the best of spirit and know you will find a way to get your exercise in despite some limited mobility. Credit for an OP day...that says alot.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:29 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 173/180/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

MIA for three days which coincides with the three days i am at my job. Hmmmm! Credit for figuring out ( before the work frenzy) how to log into my internet food journal. Now I just need to do it when I am working. Food has only been fair but I am back down two pounds from ticker. I will log in today and take a step aerobic class in about a half of an hour.
Welcome to the newcomers.
Wannabeskinny: I gave up normal a long time ago. I was born, I am convinced, with my addictive food patterns. I would rather it were not so - just like I would rather be 5'10 with thick brunette hair. That is just not the way it is. I have to admit I don't think like slim eaters. But I can ACT like them. That is what Beck has taught me - to ACT like reasonably even if I don't feel reasonable.
Lexxiss: Enjoy water aerobics.
Luxy: Welcome back.
BBE: Good Gracious. A huge drag you broke your leg. Take care of yourself,

Last edited by maryann; 11-09-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 183/170.5/>140

Quote:
November 9, 2012 - Friday Weekend Warm-up
This weekend, remember that it’s not all-or-nothing. It’s not as if you can eat every bite of food you want, whenever you want it, or you can’t ever eat anything you want. There is a huge middle ground between these two extremes, and working on finding it allows you to enjoy reasonable amounts of food AND enjoy all the benefits of weight loss.
I love the idea of there being a middle ground.

This morning I was finally back to the low weight for last week. That's the low from before I surpassed the middle ground. Let's see if I can manage to be reasonable for the next couple of days...... including the 4+ hr drive to Houston later this afternoon, dinner out tonight, a 6 hr workshop with lunch provided, and then a 4+ hour drive back tomorrow afternoon.

Have a good weekend everyone. I'll check in sometime on Sunday.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:38 AM   #64  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - I'm getting good wrist exercise, CREDIT moi. Using crutches demands strong wrist action. Going up and down stairs is one ungraceful experience. Doctor's orders are to keep all weight off the left leg. Thanks for all the well wishes for this diversion.

Food was on plan, CREDIT moi, partially because it's easier to stay on the second floor without the quick runs to the kitchen and pantry. I'm so glad that the Halloween candy is long gone so I'm not susceptible to the Sabotaging Thought, A broken leg is a special occasion ... A sugar treat will make me feel better.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for "a good Beck day."

Beverlyjoy – Kudos for "getting back into the 'Beck swing of things.'" It's always easier to stay on the path than to get back on it. Not sure what a 'candle party' is - do you make candles? [Thanks for the exercise tips. It won't be long before the leg is on the long slow heal and can take bumping from life's normal actions.]

maryann - Just love it, "I gave up normal a long time ago."

HaleyJu - Yay for "a middle ground." Good luck on those two long drives.

Wannabeskinny - Yay for thin crust pizza - particularly one stacked high with veggies. Ouch for unplanned indulgences with Kudos for tossing the Halloween candy.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 8 Stage 5 The Motivation-for-Life Plan

Re-Motivation Plan

The following techniques will help you respond to your sabotaging thoughts.

Beware of fears. Some dieters get worried as they lose more and more weight. They sometimes have sabotaging thoughts such as, What if people start to pay more attention to me or are attracted to me? ... If I get thinner, I won't have an excuse to avoid [a challenge, such as dating, being assertive with others, getting physically active] ... If I get to such-and-such weight, I won't know who I am ... What if people start to have greater expectations of me and I can't live up to them? These dire predictions can interfere with your motivation to continue. If you have thoughts like these, recognize that you're thinking of the worst outcome (and not considering other scenarios).

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 195.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:03 AM   #65  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Had a really great eating day yesterday, was not overcome with the compulsion to eat. I don't know if I just got lucky to not have craving attacks or the low-carb thing is working. Did not feel severe hunger at any point of the day, kept almonds at hand for pre-emptive action.

BillBlueEyes - the fear of losing weight is just as real as the desire to lose weight. I have lost weight before and got many compliments which are "nice" and make me feel good. But part of me still always thinks "was I so bad before?" I also spend a lot of time thinking thoughts like "I would be further ahead in my career if I looked better" or "people would be nicer to me if I was skinnier" etc and when you do get skinny you don't have an excuse anymore to not get ahead iykwim.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:55 AM   #66  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Hi Coaches!

Yesterday was a good Beck day. We traveled, and although I was very hungry I was able to use my Beck skill reminding myself "it was not an emergency." Upon arriving home, I made a very quick veggie/lentil soup which satisfied both of us. I had an evening meeting where I knew there would be candy/cookies. I got there early and moved it all to the opposite side of the table. credit. I've weighed and am heading to work.

BBE, glad you've found one advantage to being upstairs. Tell your wife her trail mix is
Old 11-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #67  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi folks.

Yesterday was a great food day. I am so grateful. My 'food strategy' worked well at the candle party. Instead of eating an salad before I went there... I had a small slice of chesse and some honeycrisp apple. The party had an amazing spread of goodies. First, I checked out all food availble. I decided what I wanted: a couple cubes of cheese, some mini pretzels & some veggies. I sat AWAY from the food. I told myself. NO SECONDS. I had some sugar free pop and then a bottle of water. YAY It gives me hope for the next time.

I made a HUGE pot of veggie beef soup. It's not unusual for me to make alot of soup and freeze some for later. I am thinking there might even be enought for one supper after Thanksgiving. It's tradition, however, we out for Chinese food the Friday after. We'll see.

I worked on eating only when seated yesterday. It's hard, really. I caught myself all day long mindlessly wanting to lick the fork/spoon andtasting as I cook or clean up food. I did really well - only slipping up once. I am grateful for the willingness try.

Other goals accomplished yesterday were: plan/measure (when possible)/log food, exercises, lots of water, do journal work, weighed myself and reread my advantages of eating well/healthfully.

It will be a quiet weekend. Probably watching some college football and cleaning my office. It has a futon and it will be used at Thanksgiving.

Lexxiss/debbie - credit for eating well despite travelling - along with making good choices after. Credit for moving the goodies at the meeting. You are living Beck... carry on!

billbe - major credit on not using your injury as a reason to eat to eat sugary goodies!! Do what the doctor says. Just think of how strong your wrist and arm muscles will be. I've since learned that this candle party was offering a huge line of scented wax along with pretty warmers. They use a low volt light bulb instead of candles to melt the wax and let go of the scent. I got a couple things.. I ordered DH a USC warmer - he likes candles alot when he works in his office downstairs.

wannabskinny - I too find I have fewer food urges if I stay away from refined carbs. I am not on a low carb food plan, however.

Haleyju - I, too, am glad there is a middle ground. It's hard for me to be there, however. I keep trying. Safe travel... take your book and read and reread Dr. Beck's ideas about travelling and special occaisions. It's sometimes helpful to me.

Maryann - glad you could get into your food journal. Glad to hear you are down from your sticker weight and have time for your aerobics class.

[Have a great day, everyone.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 11-10-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #68  
Green Tomatoes

I'm winging it. It's working at the moment but I know it's not sustainable for the long haul. I'm grateful that it can work for a few days when I can't seem to get a plan in place.

WI: -0.2 kgs, Exercise: +70 480/1600 minutes for November, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: I'm so sorry about your broken leg. That's a huge thing to have to deal with. I'll bet that you're glad you've been strength training -- it must make it easier to manage crutches. I hadn't thought about the wrists being such an important element! Take care!
Old 11-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #69  
persist

S/C/G: 322/310/299

Height: 5' 6"

Unhappy everything feels hard.

Coaches

I need some kind of a lift for my spirits. Probably if I can get myself making something that will help alot. I am feeling very low emotionally. I recall that exercise was one of the things that I used to do to feel better emotionally. Often, feeling down was the only reason I would start exercising and that may be true once again.

Foodwise, I am eating ok, but eating a lot standing up, and often having seconds. Still cooking from scratch though *credit* and still holding off on many of those carbs, following what my DH is doing in his foodplan. I have decided to return to Weight Watchers as soon as I can which will be next week. I look forward to it. I need a supportive real life group.

I weighed in this morning *credit* to see: 255.5. That's really up now. I am closer to 260 than 250 so that just can't stay that way. It's a temporary high number I know as we ate super late last night (9:30pm) but it's added to my depressed state of mind today. Time to do some re-assessing and to make a plan of action.

Billblueeyes When I read about you breaking your leg on the stairs all I could think was "ouch!" That must have hurt. So sorry that happened to you. I am sure it will heal quickly, though it probably won't be as fast as you want it to be. Imagine though, when you are on your crutches going through Whole Foods or Costco, you won't be able to stop for samples as you'll need both hands on those crutches. There may be a tiny silver lining here.

gardenerjoy Truth be told I am winging I too and geez it's sooooo not working for me All I feel is lost dazed and confused. I need a plan.

Beverlyjoy I too am not sitting while eating enough lately. I have not had the willingness to try and change it even when I thought about doing it I just said no to doing it. I have been determined to mess up and then feel bad about it. I feel grateful to only be 255.5 today given my frame of mind. Thanks for the reminder and the incentive to get back on track. *credit* to you for a good food day and candle party evening.

Lexxiss*many credits to you* for having plans in place for all yur challenges and forseeing them through. Great.

Wannabeskinny *credit* for the good food day as well. I totally and completely relate to your comments about weight loss especially the "I would be further ahead in my career" one. As a visual artist I think/imagine how much *easier* it would be to impress people with my work if *I* were more "pulled together" and more sexy, or (now) more "young looking" (since I can't be younger (sigh), more outgoing or flirty or any one of those things that I associate with having self-confidence born of someone who knows they simply "look good". Of course, this kind of attitude is not a natural part of being thin. Hello?I know lots of thin wallflowers who really should put themselves out there and never do; and I see myself "do it anyway" over and over and over again. Weight is never an excuse to hold yourself back.It just can't be. Life is waaayyyyy too short. Thanks for posting.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:53 AM   #70  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday - Veterans's Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Just puttering along here. Food was on plan, CREDIT moi. That included dinner at our house with four guests and plenty of food. I stayed within my plans for a celebratory meal – specifically pleased that I avoided the meat platter making the rounds for seconds.

Exercise was going up and down the stairs on my hands and knees. It’s not so difficult, but I have to do it when nobody’s looking because it makes others feel bad. Per doctor’s directions, I spent extra time lying on my back with my leg elevated. Boring. I have visions of patients in a hospital bed in multiple casts with cables holding their legs up. I don’t know if that ever happened or if it’s just a cartoon version. It does make me grateful for my situation. I do get to increment the counters in my signature today, CREDIT moi.

onebyone – Exercising does lift the emotions. It's hard to stay in a funk with all the endorphins screaming victory. [Nice thought - I will be out of the walking and sampling mode for a spell.]

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for success when "winging it" is what's available.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Neat to move the candies and treats away from your grasp.

Beverlyjoy – Stellar strategy, "I sat AWAY from the food."

Wannabeskinny - Kudos for being able to keep "almonds at hand for pre-emptive action." I'm rather capable of pre-empting with almonds without threat of hunger. Interesting that we can beat ourselves up with the notion that we'd be better off if we'd lost the excess weight earlier.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 8 Stage 5 The Motivation-for-Life Plan

Re-Motivation Plan

The following techniques will help you respond to your sabotaging thoughts.

Beware of fears. ... Ask yourself the following questions:
  • That's the worst-case scenario. If it happened, how would I cope?
  • What's the best that could happen in this scenario?
  • What's the most realistic outcome of this scenario?
Asking yourself these questions should help reduce your anxiety.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pgs 195-196.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:37 AM   #71  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I hope your leg gets better soon BillyBlueEyes!

onebyone - being confident and looking good sometimes go hand in hand. I was yesterday at a gig (i'm a musician) and I was in charge of the whole group of musicians. I can be a real ballbuster when I'm in the moment and into the music. But this stupid rehearsal space had an entire mirrored wall and every time I glanced at myself my heart sank a little into self doubt. It kept reminding me that I'm always the fattest person in the room and how could I be in charge?
Old 11-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #72  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday's exercise was carting and dumping leaves. And, rescuing worms. I've been concerned that my compost pile doesn't seem to have red wigglers. When I turn it, I see nightcrawlers, roly poly bugs, and some kind of beetle, but none of the red wiggler worms that are supposed to be the workhorse of the compost pile menagerie. When we were cleaning the driveway, I found red wigglers under the leaf litter along the edge. So, before DH could suck them up in the leaf vac, I scooped them up and transferred them to my compost pile.

WI: -0.15 kgs, Exercise: +120 600/1600 minutes for November, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: can we help with your boredom? Book recommendations? Fun websites? Angry Birds?

Wannabeskinny: "how could I be in charge?" You're in charge because you know what you're doing. It sounds to me like that group is lucky to have you.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #73  

S/C/G: 183/170.5/>140

Hello Beckies,

I made it back from Houston in good time yesterday. Eating while I was gone included larger portions than I normally eat, and there was wine and a shared desserrt at dinner on Friday evening. However, snacking was minimized. If there's nothing in the car to eat, you don't eat. The result is that I can finally report that this week I lost a little. I'm calling it time to change the ticker again. My other victory for the week was discovering a pair of pants that are too big. Most of my pants have just been getting less tight, but this pair was noticably big. It made me want to try on some of the other things that I had outgrown and see if I have managed to get back into some of the things. I do remember that there are times when the scale doesn't move but the body changes............ and times when the scale does move and the body is resistant to give up.

Have a great week. I have papers to grade and grades to input. It's a working weekend all they way through.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #74  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Hi Coaches!

Yesterday was 100% OP, perhaps partly because DH and I decided to take an afternoon nap after work and slept until midnight. I weighed this morning and made a green smoothie even though pancakes were calling. I haven't made a plan yet...we can have them for lunch or dinner. I have a great sprouted grain mix.

Work was slow yesterday and everyone ate. I had decided to eat when I got home and so I waited. credit.

BBE, aha, good for you with all your weight training...DH found it helped immensely with the stair crawl.

onebyone, I agree w/gardenerjoy....exercise does help lift my spirits. After I ride my bike for even 10 minutes I wonder why I don't do it every day.

HaleyJu, loved this, "if theres nothing in the car to eat, you don't eat." Thx
Old 11-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #75  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Becksters, coaches, friends - yesterday was a healthy day. My plan took a slight change when I substituted hummus for pnb on my rice cake for a snack. Not a big deal. However.. then I ended up eating the pnb on another rice cake. I was still within the limits of my plan- but, this can be a slippery slope.

Some goal/credits include:
eat seated only - ate standing only one time
always left a bite of food on my plate
read arc/rc
gave myself credit several times as the day went on
ate slower some of the time
weighed/no exercise/five glasses of water
planned/wrote it all down
ate no second helpings
did journal work

I am so very grateful for the willingness to try.

I've found that this week saying Stand Firm is more helpful than saying No Choice.

I've been going to bed a little bit earlier than usual. Sometimes it's easier than dealing with the food thoughts spinning in my head.

lexxiss/debbie - many credits for your healthy day!

haleyju - wonderful to see the scale go down. It is so very true : I do remember that there are times when the scale doesn't move but the body changes............ and times when the scale does move and the body is resistant to give up Wonderful to hear those pants now fit.

gardenerjoy
- gardening is such great exercise. So glad you rescued those wigglers from the leaf vac!

onebyone -sorry your spirits are low. Maybe some meditation or guided imagery can help. It sometimes helps me.

wannabeskinny - I am a performer too. It's very hard for me to see myself performing. I love doing it... not watching. I totally understand.

billbe - glad you were able to stay op with all that going on with you. Credit. Congrats on another good month to add to your signature.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 11-11-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Closed Thread