Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 183/170.5/>140

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
November 5, 2012 - Monday Motivation

We asked a dieter what was one of the best advantages of losing weight for her, and she said, “When I hear about upcoming events like parties, weddings, and family gatherings, my first thought is no longer, ‘I need to lose weight before that event.’ Now the only thing I feel is excited. It’s the best feeling in the world.”
Holding my own. Is that worthy of a credit? Going to yoga in a bit. I do like the motivatingvating thought above ... it would be nice not to worry about pictures and whether I could find anything flattering to wear.

Bill -- Re DC trip: I haven't been to DC since I was about 15. My daughter (30) has never been. We plan to do it all. We have already applied to our Congressmen for tickets to the White House and the Capitol. We actually tried to double our chances since we do not live in the same district. Hopefully one or the other will come through. Seeing the White House in full Christmas decorations would be spectacular. I'm just hoping that this thin blooded Texan doesn't have to handle a full blown winter storm. We really don't have the appropriate clothing for that kind of weather. I do see the purchase of a pair of boots in my near future.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:14 AM   #32  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday - Vote today in the U. S.

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Did gym, CREDIT moi, feeling a little disappointed that I'm not getting stronger as fast as I'd like. Perhaps it's time to get some personal trainer sessions or find a workout buddy. I once talked to a guy who got into bicycle racing and he worked out vigorously because of his competitive nature. Walk included the library where I picked up yet another you-gotta-read-this book from the 24 hour cart waiting to be returned to another library. I just love the feeling that I'm jumping the line by taking advantage of that cart.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, until my evening meeting where we sit for two hours over our food. I brought healthy stuff and ate moderately - first go round. But through the evening I had handfuls of popcorn, which I almost never have anymore, and slices of Honeycrisp Apples. Ouch! I need to remember to tell myself that overeating healthy food is still overeating.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Speaking of this month, is November NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) for you this year?

maryann - Kudos for recognizing that you can change your eating plan to fit your needs.

HaleyJu - Yep, "Holding my own" is Kudos worthy. I can't wait to read your report of Washington, D.C. - you remind me that it's time for me to revisit.

Koala - Congrats on those 2.2 pounds that your body felt deserved to be gone regardless of what your mind thought. Fun to be reminded that you're getting too warm on the very day that I felt under dressed for my walk - had to walk extra briskly to fight off the chills.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 8 Stage 5 The Motivation-for-Life Plan

Re-Motivation Plan

The following techniques will help you respond to your sabotaging thoughts.

Respond strongly to your "It's not worth it" thoughts. When this idea is strong in your mind and your resolve is weak, remind yourself that this is a toxic thought. You will be so glad later that you didn't give in to it! Recall other experiences when you had that thought but persevered anyway. For example, have you ever thought, It's not worth it, when you had to study for an important exam or when you were holding yourself to a budget to save money for a vacation? Did it turn out to be worth it? Dieting may seem hard right now, but remember when it was so much easier? It will get easier again.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 194.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:41 AM   #33  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi Coaches!

I've weighed and am preparing for work. Travel right afterwards for 3 days of pool, water aerobics and perhaps even bicycling. Must remember: pack lunch.

I'm giving myself credit here for my track record at work. Yesterday was slow and I had some time to observe just how much food is consumed by my coworkers every day. Yesterday it was "just everywhere"....blts and onion rings...burritos ....fries...halloween candy. I stood my ground...ate my orange and my muffin.

I put on my Beck cd yesterday morning while I was working in my office before work. Every little bit helps.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #34  
Green Tomatoes

I don't know why I couldn't manage to post earlier today, but let's blame voting because that sounds noble. I'm struggling with wanting to eat more with each meal and snack. Any suggestions? Distractions work well when I want to eat at an unplanned time. I have a harder time when the problem is that I don't want to stop eating once I've started.

Maybe taking some credits would help. I'm well ahead on my exercise minutes and I've successfully added a bit of strength-training into the mix this month. Credit and credit!

WI: -0.1 kgs, Exercise: +55 335/1600 minutes for November, Food: 80% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: I'm aiming for 50,000 words this month, but on a non-fiction project that I've been working on awhile. So I'm not doing NaNoWriMo, but I'm trying to steal some of its energy.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #35  

This tip is totally speaking to me today!!
Quote:
November 6, 2012 - Tuesday Reality Check

If you think, “I’m upset so I deserve to eat this comfort food to make myself feel better,” remind yourself, “It’s comfort food now but it won’t be comfort food later because I’ll feel badly and guilty about giving in ad eating it, in addition to feeling badly about situation that initially made me upset.”
I think the tip above has made me think twice about digging into the still left over candy.

** Going to a dinner tonight at someone's home. No clue what will be served. I'll do the best that I can--- which is all that can be expected.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:27 AM   #36  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday - The election is over!

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Stayed up later than usual to watch the ballot count reporting. Did that without eating to make the tensions go away, CREDIT moi. Some of the ballot questions finished the way I voted - some didn't. I'm a little sleep deprived this morning.

Exercise was a walk, CREDIT moi, that discovered yet another new frozen yogurt place with machines that pump 14 different flavors (or twirled mixes of two). I sampled Pumpkin Frozen Yogurt - one ounce for about 30 calories. Hard to believe that we need so many new frozen yogurt places, but I wish them well in their new business.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for strength training to help the brain feel pleased with the body. I know about "don't want to stop eating once I've started."

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Inspiring strength you showed, "I stood my ground...ate my orange and my muffin." I'd guess that the nibblers don't have the notion that huge calories are going down.

HaleyJu - Hope your dinner went well last night. Is it possible to get that left over candy out of your house?

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 8 Stage 5 The Motivation-for-Life Plan

Re-Motivation Plan

The following techniques will help you respond to your sabotaging thoughts.

Make a Response Card:
It's hard now, but hard times are normal and always
pass. As long as I keep going, it will get easier again.
It's worth it!
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 194.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:10 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 106.8/93.8/65kg

Height: 169cm

Hello Beck Trekkers
Yesterday was not such a good day – I had two social events to contend with. I started off valiantly trying to not stray too far off plan, but the fact is I ate food that was not in my eating plan. That said, part of this re-calibrating my thinking about diet and eating is to learn managing healthy eating and good food choices in the context of a pretty hectic social life. Onward and upward – keep reading those reasons for wanting to lose weight, keep reading those responses to sabotaging thoughts, keep on being mindful …

HaleyJu – thank you for the Beck quotes – I love the one about just feeling excited upcoming events, rather than feeling under pressure to lose weight.

Gardenerjoy – credits for your exercise efforts, that must be very satisfying. Re trying to stop eating – I’m trying the “no choice” mantra, sometimes that works. I do struggle with the Beck strategy that it is OK to feel hungry – it seems I have been avoiding that feeling for a long long time.

Lexxiss – you must have nerves of steel to stay strong in the face of so much temptation at work! Credit indeed.

BillBlueEyes – credit for gym time and eating on plan. Credit for keeping a close acquaintance with your eating plan even if it was additional food. That trolley in the library sounds like a serendipitous source of good reads! I’ve just finished reading “Thirty three teeth” by Colin Cotterill – have you read any of his? Truly delightful, similar style to Alexander McCall Smith. I will be looking out for more of his books. I like the notion that my body gives up weight at a time of its choosing LOL.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #38  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi Coaches!

We traveled over to find the pool is closed today. It will be very clean tomorrow.

I didn't eat my lunch at work yesterday. It was very busy. I stood my ground after arriving on the West side...choosing not to go out to dinner (Mexican). credit. Unfortunately, I did not resist several unplanned snacks after dinner. Good news is that there is plenty left because I DID choose not to eat the entire box (or bag). In retrospect, I should have eaten my "lunch" while we traveled or considered my orange and muffin a legitimate after dinner snack. I felt tired and deprived, in addition to the election anxiety.

I've weighed today and have a plan. Onward and upward!
Old 11-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #39  
Green Tomatoes

Still struggling a bit. No exercise yesterday and I didn't weigh myself this morning -- that's always a bad sign. Credit for posting!

WI: NA kgs, Exercise: +0 335/1600 minutes for November, Food: 80% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 11-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #40  

Hi All,
I hope I'm on the right thread. I've just joined and there are a lot of threads and forums!
I'm currently working through the Beck Diet Plan pink book again. I started it before, and was going great, but life got in the way and I fell by the wayside.

Having said that, it made a LOT of sense to me, and I'm giving it another go as I deserve it.

I'm just past the "find a diet buddy" day, and that's what I joined here for

Debbie
Old 11-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #41  

Quote:
November 7, 2012 - Wednesday Sabotage
Sabogating Thought: I messed up a bit on my diet, so I might as well mess some more for the rest of the day.

Response: If I were drinking water and “messed up a bit” by spilling some on my shirt, would I keep messing up and dump the rest of the glass on myself? Making a mistake (in any situation) is NEVER a reasonable excuse to continue making more.
Oh my, what a great visual. Kind of reminds me of Bill's comment a few days ago about still speeding after I got a speeding ticket. I am so guilty of this -- in fact, did a little sabotage on myself last night. I had both wine and dessert at dinner. (Who was it that said, one or the other, but not both??). Then after I got home, I felt the call of a piece of chocolate. Yes, Bill, I do need to do something about the leftovers. Hubs is not eating it up as quickly as I wish he would.

Welcome Debbie!

Last edited by HaleyJu; 11-07-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 177/173/140

Welcome, debsweb! Good luck on your weight loss journey!

I've been little more than a lurker on this board, but most recently, I've been avoiding posting because I've completely fallen off the wagon. I have a bag of Andy Capp's hot fries and a bag of peanut butter M&Ms AT MY DESK! I know from past experience that I cannot buy treats like this, because I have trouble controlling myself when they're around. But like HaleyJu said, this mistake is NOT an excuse to make more mistakes. It's time to get back on track! Time to renew my commitment to losing weight! Time to read the pink book again!
Old 11-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Hi all,
I'm following a hodge podge of health and dietary advice at the moment. I'm trying to implement a low-carb, no processed food diet. I have an eating disorder (COE), and have worked through some of my issues in therapy. I came across the Beck Diet Solution a few years ago when I was trying to lose weight. I got about halfway through the book and then infertility issues drew me into a state of denial and depression.

Trying to understand my obesity is difficult, there are many different ways to lose weight whether it is by counting calories, exercising, low-carb, etc. Part of my therapy made me realize that I want to be like a 'normal' person who doesn't worry about their weight. I've always wanted to be normal. And the Beck method gives me insight into what normal people do.

For example, through reading the book I realized that normal people don't eat as much as I do. I eat like it's Thanksgiving every day. But my mother for example who is very normal (and skinny), eats a lot on Thanksgiving but then the next day she eats less. It seems like skinny people know how to negotiate their food intake even if they're not technically following a diet program. I want to be like that.

So here goes.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:01 PM   #44  

wannabeskinny I think we all want to figure out how to be normal or we wouldn't be here. To use an education phrase, I think we are a bit learning disabled in this area. Let's see if we can't figure this out together. In education that's called cooperative learning.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:27 PM   #45  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation Hellos all 'round.

Hello Coaches, new and old:

I had to get here and post before I headed off to bed without posting again. I've had a trying time lately. The car was acting up-our first car-and we are not car people and don't know any car guys so this is stressful. Plus we have like $90 to our name until payday so the car place is out until next week. I think we were doing a simple thing wrong (sigh) and it seems to have fixed the problem but it stopped me from going to my studio over the weekend. That and I felt crummy. I called off the art conference this weekend too and didn't go. Felt bad about it as the potters' guild shelled out the dough for me to attend. I emailed the pres. of the guild about it and she said I could "never let them down" and told me to get better. My stomach was all icky for days and finally today I have the "real" symptoms of a cold: scratchy throat, minor sniffling, more exhaustion, craving for fruit like crazy. In total defiance of my body and the reality of how I am, that when I feel really crummy I seek food to fix the feelings, and when Ifeel "weak" I push myself physically to prove to myself I am not weak (sigh), I got up this afternoon and walked to the dollar store. I did not make wise choices. Thankfully, I had minimal funds so the crap I bought was very very small - a small-ish bag of some sweet stuff, and some shelled sunflower seeds. The rest was cat treats and stuff for dinner that wasn't the best butnot off-limit either. When I made it back (I knew for sure I was a sicky by the time I was half way to the store so was relieved to get back home) I indulged my desires and then I stopped feeling worse not better. 100% predictable as is the fact that if I get back on track immediately it is not that big a deal. Stress, disappointment, worry, fear, I have felt all these things in big ways thislast week and I have been staring down crap food EVERYWHERE for weeks and my desire for this food has been working on me overtime so one small bag of stuff is a *credit*ENORMOUS improvement over past "binges".

One of the things that has been eating at me is the flatness of my weight. I have been holding at 249-250-252-254 for months now, ever since I had to give up going to Weight Watchers due to the $. Whatever it is about that process it worked for me and I need to get back there. Maybe next week I can. My current food plan is great for maintaining but I need to shake it up.Eating what my DH eats is not enough for me.For my DH it's working great. I did better with WW and need to accept this and act on it.

Better go. I need to get some real rest.
Closed Thread