Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 10:24 PM   #136  

S/C/G: 183/170.5/>140

Height: 5'5"

Tips finally caught up today. Here's the one for Friday and one for today.
Quote:
November 19, 2012 - Monday Motivation

Important reminder: We can’t change what has happened in the past, only what happens now and in the future. No matter what you ate over the weekend or how off track you may be feeling, that doesn’t mean you have to stay off track! You can change (for the better) what happens now and every day moving forward.

November 16, 2012 - Friday Weekend Warm-up

The more you prepare in advance, the less stress you’ll have during holidays. This weekend, think about what you can do in advance to get ready for Thanksgiving (if you celebrate it). If not – think about what you can do to prepare for the upcoming week. Then, use the time you’ll free up for de-stressing and self-care activities, like exercise or meditation.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:08 AM   #137  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday - Universal Children's Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – The excursion from the confines of my house included an errand to Costco to pick up a few things. Alas, carrying stuff with my crutches is tough; so, I took one of their dreadful motor carts. I hated it. There was no place for my crutches so I held them with one hand sticking out of the basket threatening all the other shoppers. Periodically I'd stop, mount my crutches and shop, then return. I did have some samples which I hadn't planned - Ouch, even though not many. CREDIT moi for the experience.

Food was otherwise on plan, CREDIT moi. Dinner was a leftover lentil soup that was even better reheated. Yay for lentils.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for making a breakfast burrito a bit healthier - great example that we can eat anything if we make a few adjustments.

Beverlyjoy – Kudos to your DH for not bringing home ice cream. That reminds me that on Thanksgiving I'm sure to face fresh whipped cream as well as ice cream along the line of pies. Gotta plan.

maryann - A vacation from all of it sounds great. As well as does, "On I march."

HaleyJu - Oh yes indeed, "Success breeds determination and hopefully more success."

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 1
The Key to Success
why weight matters - for everyone
If you're ambivalent about starting the Beck Diet Solution, consider this: Many people gain a few pounds every year due to a natural age-related slowing of the metabolism. Add to this the fact that it takes only 20 or so extra calories a day to gain 2 pounds a year. This means that if you're 10 pounds overweight today and do nothing about it, a year from now you may be 12 or 13 pounds overweight ... the year after that, perhaps, 14 or 15 pounds ... and so on and so on. But, instead of gaining, you can lose weight and maintain your weight loss by practicing the principles you'll learn in The Beck Diet Solution.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 19.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #138  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi Coaches!

I've weighed, had my green smoothie and have been getting lots of spontaneous exercise around the house this morning. Tuesday is trash/recycle which was two trips up the steep stairs with my cool headlamp, originally purchased for hiking at Grand Canyon.

HaleyJu and BBE, thanks again for the daily Beck posts. They are a great daily boost, especially when I'm not taking time to sit down and read from my books.

BBE, kudos for wrestling a cart at Costco...they look very complicated to me...I can't imagine my mom driving around in one.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #139  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beckfolks/coaches/friends - yesterday went well - I am always grateful for that. I was about 95% on plan. I planned/measured/logged, did my exercises, drank lots of water, had no seconds, read my advantages, did my journalling, gave myself credit a few times & ate slowly for two meals.

Today I met with my dietician. I have lost seven pounds since I last saw her in October. Credit. We talked about how I divide up my food and made some good suggestions. I told her that I was nervous about the busy weekend... especially Thanksgiving day. She asked which foods I really wanted to have. I said: turkey, stuffing, cranberries, green beans casserole (that famous pilgrim recipe ), & pie. (I don't care about rolls, sweet potatos, mashed potatoes becasue I can eat those anytime.) She said to have what I like in a reasonable amount and enjoy each bite. I said that I will feel deprived that I can't eat that way all weekend with the leftovers. She reminded me that I will not have been deprived because I get to have it on Thanksgiving. I've never thought of it in those terms. I am also adding veggies to the relish tray on the table - I am sure I will be the only one eating them. I'll let you know.

The dietician said that I could have a piece of pie or a serving of stuffing each day after Thanksgiving - but to count it into my plan. She did say that what I should not do is have that whole Thanksgiving dinner again a couple more times over the weekend. Really, that makes sense. She says it depends on whether or not I think I can 'handle' it without having a binge afterwards.

Have a great day.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 11-21-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:52 PM   #140  

Beverlyjoy I really like the comments your dietitian makes. She boils it down much like Dr. Beck does.

I love today's tip!!
Quote:
November 20, 2012 - Tuesday Reality Check

If you’re thinking about going into Thanksgiving without a plan, ask yourself, “When has not having a plan EVER helped me reach my goals?” In our experience, having any type of plan (even if it’s a loose one) is so much better than not having one at all. If you want this year to be different – you have to do things differently!
.....And in other news, We found out this morning that my daughter's Congressman pulled some strings and got us into a White House tour on a special pass with some of their staff after we had been denied regular "tickets". So excited......... and we will get to see all the Christmas Decorations! to Rep. Kenny Marchant!!
Old 11-20-2012, 09:01 PM   #141  
Green Tomatoes

Thought I posted this morning....

I've been doing 30 Day Shred every other day this month. Yesterday, I did boy push-ups for the first time ever! Credit!

WI: +0.2 kgs, Exercise: +20 990/1600 minutes for November, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 11-21-2012, 07:33 AM   #142  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – The good news from my orthopedic doctor is that my X-ray was "perfect" - the bone ends are "knitting" together. There is no need for surgery, plates, screws, are any of the other interventions. I'm to spend three more weeks on crutches, then three weeks after that in the cast alone. It’s all done on New Year’s Day. Exercise was driving myself to the doctor's building; parking the car; and walking to his office. CREDIT moi for that. Also good news that my Neos over boots fit over the cast, so I have protection against snow or rain over the next six weeks.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, again easily since I spent most of my time out of reach of food. There is a piece of cellophane-wrapped Armenian candy, left over from dinner with guests some two weeks ago, sitting on the kitchen counter, waiting for DW or I to eat it. So far I haven't jumped it. Methinks I gotta find a way for it to leave the premises since I am able to visualize it sitting up here on the second floor. It doesn’t deserve such a prominent space in my brain.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Sounds like exercise is going well. Most of our yard is winter ready, but it's a burden on DW since I'm not available to do some of the hauling and lifting.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for head lamps - especially ones purchased for the Grand Canyon. By the by, did you read that they just let out a pulse of flood water through the Canyon to help balance the flora that's changed about since the controls of the new dam.

Beverlyjoy – Congrats on those seven pounds gone. Love your definitive, "a piece of pie or a serving of stuffing."

HaleyJu - A tour of the White House with congressional staff sounds fun. Have a good trip.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 1
The Key to Success
Any reasonable diet will work for
you if you have the right mindset.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:14 AM   #143  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Hi Coaches!

Yesterday I broke from my work plan and had a burger. credit for not having fries or onion rings...or mayo. Just a plain ol' burger. My revised plan, then was to have a lighter dinner, which I did, but sis came over and we talked and ate chips. ouch. Tonight we will have our Vegan Thanksgiving and my sis wants "one of everything". It crossed my mind this morning that I'm going to suggest today that we trim down our meal plan just a bit. credit.

BBE, I'm glad to hear you are resisting that candy. I think I'd either push it on my DH or stick it in the freezer for some other time....more because I don't like the "clutter" anymore. lol. Yes, I did hear about the GC wash...it must be pretty amazing to watch.

HaleyJu, loved yesterdays quote! I find now, that I am just all around more comfortable when I "have a plan". P.S. The White House outside tree came from my area in Colorado. I went and viewed it after it was cut. IT was in a large covered tractor trailer with a plastic viewing station at the back. I got to view the top 6 ft, decorations and all.

gardenerjoy, yay for push ups! credit for such continued enthusiasm with your varied exercise plan.

Beverlyjoy, I think you really have a great dietician! I really appreciated the insight she shared with you regarding the leftovers and the possibility of them creating binge behavior. Congrats on your 7# down and kudos for continued willingness.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #144  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I just lost my post. Phooey!! I'll try to get back later. Grumble grumble.....
Old 11-21-2012, 11:03 AM   #145  
Green Tomatoes

Today isn't going to get a written plan so I'm here to remind myself that I know how to do this. I can eye portions when I have to, I can focus on veggies, and I can remember that I'm happier these days when I don't overeat.

WI: -0.3 kgs, Exercise: +45 1035/1600 minutes for November, Food: 70%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: so glad to hear that your body is doing the healing it needs without extreme intervention.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #146  

Today's tip reminds us not to sabatoge ourselves. Yesterday we went to a special T-day luncheon at DFIL's nursing home. It exceeded expectations on food and efforts. I was also pleased that I managed to be mindful about what I was eating.

Quote:
November 21, 2012 - Wednesday Sabotage

Sabotaging Thought: It’s okay to eat extra because I need to taste everything I’m cooking [for Thanksgiving].

Response: There is a big difference between tasting a little for flavor and tasting just to eat. Every bite matters because every bite has calories. I can’t fool myself into thinking it doesn’t count!
and it's off to the kitchen for me with the tip above in mind..........

(Judy's tip of the day --- Chew some really strong flavored gum while cooking. It overrides the desire to graze while cooking.)

Last edited by HaleyJu; 11-21-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:02 AM   #147  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - U. S. Thanksgiving Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Today's adventure was a haircut, an errand that I usually incorporate into an invigorating long walk. I drove, found a parking space, went in and waited my turn. Yikes! I remembered that I hadn't put money in the parking meter. So I, with crutches and cast, all raced back - getting there before the meter maid. Getting out of the car is adventure enough to allow me to forget that the first thing one does after parking a car is to feed the meter.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with only a few nibbles of the corn bread DW made for today's stuffing - at her request to see if it tasted right. My immediate thought was to have a chunk the size of my fist. I didn't. Corn bread is just yummy.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I'll bring this one with me today, "I'm happier these days when I don't overeat."

Debbie (Lexxiss) – That old "one of everything" thinking skews me - I gotta clear that out of my brain before dinner.

Beverlyjoy – Happy Thanksgiving even if your post is lost, LOL.

HaleyJu - Yay for a nursing home that makes it work.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 1
The Key to Success

The Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It doesn't tell you what to eat - you can choose any nutritious diet you want. That's because any reasonable diet will work for you if you have the right mindset. The Beck Diet Solution teaches you how to get yourself to eat the way you're supposed to eat. It shows you how to talk back to the I don't want to, I don't have to, I can't voice in your head.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:15 PM   #148  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Hi Coaches!

I weighed this morning *credit* even though my inner voice was telling me it didn't matter today. Yesterday I had a short bike ride in Denver and a box lunch (my choosing) from WhFoods. It was yummy and healthy. Our Vegan Thanksgiving last night was incredible...no overeating and I actually (a first) left a few items on my plate so I'd have room for pie. They are still sitting on a little plate downstairs. I ended up having a small snack later, which was unplanned, *ouch* . Ouch because it wasn't really necessary.

I still haven't decided exactly how to handle our dinner w/fam later this afternoon. We've been eating vegetarian/towards vegan and the bash is not about us. I did buy a vegan pumpkin pie to take so we can enjoy a dessert...I always bring salad...but may actually pack our food. Truth is no one will notice.

BBE, funny about the meter....You are pretty mobile on those crutches! Yay for just a taste of cornbread!

HaleyJu, thx for the gum suggestion!

gardenerjoy, I love when we know we can deal with an unwritten plan! credit

Have a great day everyone!
Old 11-22-2012, 09:26 PM   #149  

A little late in the day for this tip. Maybe it will help with all the leftovers.
Quote:
November 21, 2012 - Wednesday Sabotage

Sabotaging Thought: It’s okay to eat extra because I need to taste everything I’m cooking [for Thanksgiving].

Response: There is a big difference between tasting a little for flavor and tasting just to eat. Every bite matters because every bite has calories. I can’t fool myself into thinking it doesn’t count!
EVERY BITE COUNTS...... I didn't do so good on that today. Tomorrow is another day. I will get back on program
Old 11-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #150  
Green Tomatoes

Hope all the USians had a happy Thanksgiving. We had a good day with emphasis on conversation and family more than food. The turkey was a heritage bird that my nephew brought -- my first, but still no reason to overeat. Just a reason to bring some home which we did.

I helped carve and clean the bird so that it got into the refrigerator as quickly as it should -- my sister-in-law, our hostess, is vegetarian and not as careful about that as I am. But why should she worry about it when she doesn't eat it? So, I've quietly taken that over.
Closed Thread