Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 06:51 AM   #226  
Finding what works for me

S/C/G: 209 / 194 / 160

Height: 5' 9"

Hello Silverbirch , i hope you are well?
Old 07-29-2011, 08:22 AM   #227  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Super - I'm not bad, thank you. Very busy indeed with too many competing pressures (work, the economy, school holidays, families, building work, taking up running again, the garden, need for lots of sleep and so on). Food isn't bad and exercise is getting better now the physio has cleared me for running again. I'll be a regular at the gymn again when the schools go back here in September.

NB One thing you'll be sorry to hear we haven't done this year yet, but did last year is body-boarding. Time yet, though.

Must return to this report which I am keen to finish by the end of August. It's been around in my life too long and we just have to split up soon.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:46 AM   #228  

Silverbirch - do you live near the beach? I'm sure you'll get body boarding yet - the great british summer is yet to start! or has it been? I love Wales - my boyfriend is Welsh and i went to university in north wales for 4 years... i'd love to live there! Unfortunately not many jobs in my field
Old 07-29-2011, 09:48 AM   #229  
in development

Super - near enough. Benllech for quiet easy stuff though the DB is keen on Trearddur Bay for kayaking etc. The Llyn for bigger stuff. What's your field? I'm guessing oil or fish.

Thanks for your post. It made me eat my afternoon snack early (hard-boiled egg and apple) rather than looking in my partner's drawer for a Crunchie (which I do not even like - especially not the picking it out of my teeth bit).
Old 07-29-2011, 10:17 AM   #230  

Aha, Ynys Mon? I went to university in Bangor! I absolutely loved it. I used to surf on the Llyn and also at Rhosneigr and broad beach / cable bay. Seems like a long time ago now!

Glad to hear i've distracted you from a crunchie - they're not my favourite either. not enough chocolate I'd better get back to work also, but it's Friday afternoon so my brain is slowly turning to mush anyway...
Old 07-29-2011, 12:04 PM   #231  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Unhappy very quick Friday check-in

Hi Coaches

It' almost noon and I have to be on my way by 12:30 so I have a bit of time to check in.

*credit for weighing in(+0.5)= 282.0 = official weigh-in weight for the week.

Well coaches, I can tell you I am eating offplan foods at dinner and I am eating past full and I am eating late. So, since I strated my exercsie program this is what I've done but I'm not worried. It's just a reaction to the New Exercise Thing. I have a self-given grace period of a week to get things under control. I'm just not going to over-react and beat myself up over the food since the addtion of the exercsie is so great. I NEED to move my body. Whatever my weight is, I need to strive for fitness for my heart, lungs and all bodily parts. This trumps that for this week.

It's VERY humid here and I am dreading setting up my booth in the park. I have no lightweight summery cothes to speak of whcih means I will be drenched in sweat just unloading the car and getting it to the site. DH is not there to help me; I am on my own. I am hoping some kind soul will give me a hand. And if not, I will just slowly persevere.

I tried to do the Sweat tape this morning but my legs would not cooperate. They just didn't want to move and they hurt. My whole body aches actually. So I've decided to put it off until I get home. Maybe I will be able to do it then after I've been out and about all day. I was surprised at how sore and worn out I am from it though. It really is a workout. I am trying to be okay with missing a day. I *don't* feel it's ok but then again I really don't want an injury or be so worn out I can't deal with my booth. Do you guys think a missed workout is a crisis? I have no perspective on this. Help!

Better go. It really is time to pack it up. Boy, I sure hope I $ something. the show is only $25 for me as I am a participating park artist. I sure hope I can make that $25 back... sometimes, you don't.

Bye for now
Old 07-29-2011, 12:56 PM   #232  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Default Friday am

Onebyone--it will be OK to miss one day. Honest. Just don't miss two. (That would be dangerous for me.) Alternatively, if you are still feeling shakey, do a Sansone walk when you get home instead of P90. It is still exercise, right? If you can, maybe do the workout 4 days a week instead of 6. You're still doing the program--it's just going to take a bit longer. Whatever works for you.

A grace week sounds very sensible. Tackle one thing--how about not eating past barely full--or whatever.

Hello Silverbirch!
Quote:
Poach it first and then the skin comes off easily.
Ahhh--there's the key! Should you always cook the fish before you remove the skin? Has that been my problem?

I visited Wales for a few days on my way to Ireland from England many years ago. (Took the ferry from Bangor.) What an absolutely beautiful part of the world you live in! I always meant to come back and go hiking in those hills. (Or should I call them mountains? )

Superchick--well done on listening to your body and not your head!
It sounds like you have a good plan for managing your difficulties with the scale. I'm crossing my fingers it works out for you.

BillBlueEyes--sorry to hear about your painting woes. Ouch for finishing off the pint. I hope there wasn't too much left. (Around here, I've been known to open the ice cream and find less than a spoonful left!)
Old 07-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #233  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Afternoon Coaches,
Finished OP last nite and feel better today (exhale Whew!!!) OP today. I am starting a pantry challenge which means I will use up everything in the pantry and freezer before I restock. It is great for keeping on budget and advanced planning. You can get really creative. Two lunches in a row have been split pea soup with Canadian Bacon that I froze months ago. Tasty still. Last nite I served some frozen cooked pit beef. I added BBQ sauce and some frozen corn bread. A feast. The only thing I need to buy is fresh fruits and veggies and milk.
Gardening Deb: I just bought those "As Seen On TV" produce containers. Allegedly they will keep produce longer. We'll see.
BBE: I hate those do it yourself projects because I am such a perfectionist.
Alana: My best technique for cravings is to look at the clock and tell myself - I bet I don't want it in 30 mins and then check the clock again later. I usually don't want it then.
Woodland: I have preserved pear butter but now I need to revise my canning because my recipe has so much sugar in it.
Superchick and Silverbirch: Your killing me with the body surfing and surfing. I grew up in Malibu, Ca.My brothers have always been surfers and I used to body surf. Even though I still love the ocean I am too much of a scaredy cat to body surf anymore. I listen to you both wistfully.
Lexxiss: Glad that a little R and R is coming your way via swimming hole.
onebyone: good luck at the art show.

Last edited by maryann; 07-29-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:39 PM   #234  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

Here I had thought that I had posted yesterday but I must have "forgotten". I went back and read to my last post so I am "caught up" with what all is going on with all of you.

Superchick, maryann and silverbirch I'm not a surfer and I am terrified of water over my head. I had a near death experience when I was 8 and when I go into water now, I make sure that I am no deeper than shoulders. However, I do plan on taking swimming lessons again to get over my fear of drowning since I did and was revived.
onebyone I do feel for you about being in clothes not weather appropriate. That was one of the first things I did about 12 years ago. After always wearing long thick denim jeans, I began wearing shorts and a long t-shirt thereafter and I have never returned to being uncomfortably dressed in hot weather. As for exercising, everyone's body reacts to it differently. I am one of the few whose appetite is suppressed by exercising but I realize that is not the case with everyone.

As for missing a day, well, you will soon learn to listen to your body and do what you can do. I have been moderately active the majority of my life and I have learned to listen to my body. I have also worked around injuries and know quite a bit about that as well. As for calories, because of my metabolism I can eat around 2300-2600 calories a day and lose 1 lb a week. I have a faster than average metabolism and I also have 2-3 BMs per day (not diarhea either). I eat a lot of fiber, averaging 45-50 grams per day.

Last summer for 8 weeks I followed a much stricter calorie limit of 1500 calories and I was losing 5 lbs a week. I lost 50 lbs during that time. However, I sat on the edge of my seat at night and I was so hungry my stomach had sharp pains(stemming from a two decade old ulcer from taking so many pain pills since then).

Today, I have made a decision to focus more on eating healthy foods, feeding my body for physical not emotional hunger and getting in as much activity as my body will allow me. Gardenerjoy--thank you very much for sharing that information. Your experience confirms for me that I believe I have finally found what works for me. I do not expect that my food plan will change at all from here on in, except learning new recipes to go with the ones I have already have/adapted. If I want cake and ice cream today, it will be what I have allowed into my home: no sugar, low fat and/or vegan. I have found the ones that pass my "taste test". As for cake, there are just so many wonderful ways to make a healthy cake, I now can say, "I have my cake and I eat it too."

On occasion, I do have McDonald's and let me tell you, their menu is changing so much I had to ask where some of their old items were located! I also have pizza but I make a whole wheat version and have lots of good delicious roasted vegetables on it. My "On Plan" is a hybrid. The reason being is I want to take the "wickedness" out of eating and enjoy it for what it is. Delicious treasures to nurture and sustain my body.

BBE I am a recovering perfectionist. I love to decorate and today I painted two items on my front porch. Did I stay in the lines? I got paint up my nose and all over my top but I enjoyed being outdoors looking at the birds in the trees so who cares?? Certainly not worth eating ice cream over it. Quit beating yourself up over things that won't matter in a year. Put a chair in front of it, if it really bothers me. Eat the ice cream simply because it was so good to taste not because it was going to fix any "problem" (real or imagined). Then, my friend, you've won the battle with your weight today and forever.

Pam
Old 07-29-2011, 10:38 PM   #235  

S/C/G: 235/tracker/150

Height: 5.9

Credit to me...I hosted a scrapbooking retreat at a bed and breakfast over the weekend and have no control over recipes or menus. I am on WW, so I used portion control, skipped dessert, took fruit and popcorn and lost 2.4 pounds yesterday
Old 07-30-2011, 05:19 AM   #236  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Yesterday was pretty sane, foodwise, although without a formal plan. Exercise was water aerobics at the pool and spontaneous exercise was parking once then walking to my scheduled stops at the mall instead of driving to each. *credit*

I'm trying to take advantage of some quieter days and am studying up for a water yoga class I'll teach (for the first time) in August. It's exciting because I credit this class for much of the mindset I have developed which has kept me on track with my WL for such a long time. We always state an "intention" at the beginning of class. My joyful moment after 6 years was the day my intention shifted from "I want to get healthy" to " I want to stay healthy". *credit* for persistence.

Again...I'll work through personals as I can.

BillBlueEyes, *credit* for OP eating until the evening. Every little bit helps. Ouch for the ice cream but thx for the reminder that food does not fix frustration. BTW-My painting has lots of exercise involved and you're welcome to join in any time.

onebyone, with your event. Re: exercise, perhaps you could do some simple stretching or WATP on a day when you're too sore. I agree with BBE, sore means progress and fresh movement will cure the old sore and bring some new sore. It's all about progress.

silverbirch, *credit* it sounds like you're managing food and exercise quite well as you negotiate all the competing pressures.

maryann, *credit* for OP eating and a plan for the pantry. I enjoy the pantry challenge, too, and have recently been digging a little deeper.

pamatga, you said, "Today, I have made a decision to focus more on eating healthy foods, feeding my body for physical not emotional hunger and getting in as much activity as my body will allow me." Now that is a recipe for success! *credit*

SuperChick, I have neglected to mention that it took me more than a week to break the 200/199 barrier. I don't know why...perhaps it is a time when we solidify our commitment regardless of the numerical information. *credit* for persistence and for listening to your body and following your own rules, especially when you weren't hungry.

Alana(inCanada), I appreciated your discussing your personal discomfort regarding your inner apprehensiveness regarding WL and the resulting urge to eat. I feel it, too, and am at a loss to understand. Regarding handling a craving, I really like the Beck statement, "I can eat this or I can be thinner but I can't have it both ways." I then acknowledge that I do "want to be thinner." It usually works if I am willing to try.

lukesmom, *credit* for using the perimeters of your food plan and making it work with menus and recipes you had no control over.

GardeningDeb, *credit* for stopping at 6 almonds!

Woodland, stay cool and *credit* for getting your exercise in.

Last edited by Lexxiss; 07-30-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:56 AM   #237  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Best food day in a while, CREDIT moi, because dinner was gazpacho which, by the WW notion that veggies have no points, was zero calories, LOL. More painting to do today, Ugh.

onebyone - Ouch for not having lightweight summer clothes handy for your fair today. May the buying customers arrive in droves.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Yes, Kudos for persistence. Such a happy thought, intention shifted from "I want to get healthy" to " I want to stay healthy". And Kudos for teaching a water yoga class - what a great way to stay motivated.

sliverbirch – Kudos for hard-boiled egg and apple rather than stealing a Crunchie, despite losing the joyful taste of a stolen one. (per Yevtushenko - Stolen Apples)

maryann - Neat idea that "pantry challenge" thing. DW did a similar purge recently and found unspeakable stuff behind everything else. Most of our challenge went straight to the compost bin worms.

pamatga - Sounds like a sustainable plan to me, "Delicious treasures to nurture and sustain my body."

SuperChick - Kudos for skipping a meal - just because you weren't hungry. I've rarely done that. Such a pleasure to read, "basically treating my body well." Should there happen to be any non-Welch readers here, Ynys Môn is the Welch name for The Isle of Anglesey in Wales.

Alana in Canada - LOL at the thought of only a spoonful of ice cream left in a pint - I wish they came that way.

lukesmom - Great demo on how to respond to eating situations where we can't control what's offered - but can control what we consume. Kudos.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4
Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan

Success Skill 3 Eat Slowly, While Sitting Down and Enjoying Every Bite
Study after study bears out the importance of these habits:
. . . . .. . .
  • A university of Toronto study found that students consumed more pasta if they nibbled while standing rather than while sitting at a table.
. . .
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 61.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:11 AM   #238  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Post oh boy.

Hi Coaches

I am so exhausted right now, and so worried, in advance, of how physically grueling it will be out there today in the heat and the humidity that I have a fear of exercising and "using up my energy". I know I am not going to do it today.

When I came home yesterday afternoon it was as if all my muscles were "seized". Everywhere I hurt so I just rested. My big body is just hard to move in this heat. It makes me want to hide.

And so, feeling like this, we ordered pizza and I ate an entire medium pizza. I considered stopping at slice three, then kept on eating.

*credit for weighing in this morning (+0.9lbs) = 282.9lbs

So off to the show today at around 12:30. I am there until 9pm. I'm not very hopeful saleswise for the show. We are in a separate fenced off area of the park. This is never good. We'll see. I paint on site from 5-7. I sure hope I am able to do it. I'll bring a choice of material to work from with me.

Better go. Enjoy your Saturday Becksters.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:47 AM   #239  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

DH is off to do Saturday a.m."errands" so I have some "me time" before he returns and I have him start painting the trim up near the ceiling. I used to do this two years ago but I can not climb ladders any more so it is his turn. Bill, no one and I do mean no one complains more about doing these kinds of things (things which I so happen to love and can no longer do)than my sweet Paul. He absolutely hates painting! I "get" the sacrifice on his part and I plan to "reward" him accordingly later tonight. (old country saying" you can kill more flies with sugar than you can with vinegar)

Wow, everyone here, such awesome "personals" yesterday. I am just blown away at how everyone has met their own personal challenges so fantastically.

lukesmom - Are you new here or have I just missed you before? If so, to the "perfect storm" in your situation. You had no control over the circumstances and yet you navigated through it beautifully. This is when all of the planets are aligned in perfect unison. I swear. Major big credit your way!

Alana in Canada - I so admire your courage in facing the dentist. I have such a fear of the dentist. It didn't help that my family dentist (when I was a child) slapped me once for fidgeting. Can you imagine that happening today without lawsuits, media coverage and a book deal, all rolled into one?? I need to have another crown and I just am dragging my heels on it. Besides, the expense, it just sucks to sit in a chair perfectly still for over an hour--maybe even, two hours. God bless you for facing the music on this one. My heart and prayers go your way!

SuperChick - Major credit for skipping meals. I eat for physical hunger these days and it works best for me. I am still trying to wrap my head though around the amount of calories I can consume at one sitting when I turn around and log it on my BLC food log but it is working for me. I realize the experts say 4-6 meals a day but it doesn't work for me either. Recently, I have eaten one meal and one snack and I have felt perfectly fine with that. A Big Ol' Yea for you in facing your hunger and turning the light on this Boogie Man. Hunger is only a big deal when we make it a big deal. Of course, you knew that all along. Thanks for sharing!!

maryann - Major Credit for you!!I have a standing "ritual" in my household where I "declare"(yes, I really do make a verbal announcement!) that "today" (whatever day that might be) is the "fridge clean out day". What that means is that we pull all of the foods that get pushed to the back and we eat them. Yes, it makes for some interesting meals sometimes but I am passionate about both keeping leftovers to a minimum by making only 1-2 servings per person when I cook and being creative in using what ends up as leftovers. (P.S. this is where using leftover vegetables works for breakfast, see below)

I am especially proud of the fact that as a result of this being an ongoing "habit" we only end up throwing out $5 worth of food each month. I heard recently that the National Average is $600+ each year. Ours is 1/10th of that National Average. I just feel that as long as there is hunger in this world we should be especially thankful and be good stewards of what we have been blessed with. (my soapbox)

silverbirchMajor Credit for the snack choice. My new favorite is baby carrots, low fat ranch dressing drizzled onto them, popcorn and red grapes. Lots of crunch factor going on and combo of sweet and salty. Yes, "stolen apples" are always the sweetest except when you snatch them before they are ripe. You "run" but not from someone, "to" something.
Lexxiss - Love, love your attitude, my friend! As I told my DH this a.m., there comes a time when our motivation changes from "vanity to sanity". OA saying "We came for the vanity and stayed for the sanity". Why eat so unhealthy when you have other and better choices? Healhty eating is no more about eating rice cakes and heads of lettuce!(remember those days, anyone? OY!) How far we have all come!!

onebyone - I just wished I lived closer to you. I would have you "shop" in my closet so you would be "weather worthy" for your cash customers. Here is to cooler months ahead and lots of $$$ for your work. You so deserve this!! One word about the heat: HYDRATE! Crossing fingers on good turnout for your show.

Okay this is my next step:

I have completed the 8 week treat your own knee self-physical therapy program. I would say that it has been a success. No I am not able to tap dance as I once did but the pain has gone down to a quiet pout so I am ready to resume a more vigorous aerobic workout.

So, yesterday, I did some tweaking of my general work out space, got my dvds dusted off and in the order of "easiest to most challenging" and I am beginning on Monday.

This weekend I am going to do some furniture rearranging between my aforementioned "home office" and our bedroom so I will do a different kind of sweating; all so I can do the interval training without needing to stop to find the next weight, rope, mat or whatever.

Today's breakfast was: (thanks for the suggestion, Alana (?), for the frittata idea: had a whole egg with chopped spinach fritatta with garlic and herb feta cheese crumbles, two bean muffins (heavenly!), mandarin orange sections and my newly concocted "pork" (aka seasoned turkey burger) sausages. I am set for the rest of the day!! Fuel to move furniture.

P.S. thanks again for the couscous ideas. As I mentioned above, I think I am going to add some of those leftover beans in with that, add some fresh herbs and see what comes of it.

Have a great Saturday!

Last edited by pamatga; 07-30-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:37 PM   #240  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Pamatga: I heard the statistic, too, of all the waste. It really makes me feel "balanced" to know we waste so little. I also think I free myself from picking "the perfect dinner" because I know I am eating leftovers. And it is fine because it is "just another meal." This stops my obsessiveness.
BBE: Congrats on Gazpacho. Doesn't it feel good to eat something that in the past you would have considered only half a meal?
Lexxiss: Teaching the class is a big step. How exciting.
onebyone: I am keeping you in my thoughts today.
lukesmom: Welcome.

OP yesterday. I love puttering around the house with an easy plan for food. Yoga/pilates in an hour. Step class yesterday. Today's plan is to write four pages. I can't figure out exactly what my main character wants. He is a middle age teacher who opens the story drinking vodka ten mins before the bell. I am thinking he just wants comfort or escape. Hmmmm. Who does that sound like?

Last edited by maryann; 07-30-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Closed Thread