Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 10:45 AM   #61  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I don't get the whole Christian aspect of it either But then people will read into it what they want.

That happened to me in high school. My french lit class was reading Le Petit Prince (or the Little Prince) and our teacher went on about the whole book being about German occupied France and pointed out all the places in the book that were anti-German. Most of us didn't see it until it was pointed out to us by the teacher. Then halfway through he was replaced by another teacher whose take on the book was life lessons and philosophy and who couldn't understand where we got the **** Germany ideas from. When we explained he thought the other teacher was nuts. Half the class almost failed the written exams because of the first teacher's brainwashing

It just showed me that you should think for yourself and not be influenced by other peoples opinions.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:18 AM   #62  
Kaipo "Sweetheart"

S/C/G: 260/176/175

Height: 5' 10"

Good vs Evil does not equal Christian. Now if Aslan had the kids go back to there world and convince a bunch more people to enter the Wardrobe and then those kids went back and got more kids - that would be Christian (but I am being biased and rude so forgive me)

Anyway - I know that CS Lewis apparently has written other books with a Biblical spin and so I think assumptions are being made. They must also assume that Narnia is really heaven?

I guess I can read the reviews - I don't know why they have to make movies mean something - can't they just be cool to watch and fantasize?

It was like the Day After Tommorrow - excellent effects - good acting - lots of drama - then at the end they ruin it with a speach about global warming - I was upset because the movie was great up till then and I hope when it comes out in video they cut the last 5 mins.

I am all for enviro things but not at my $8 movie.

Anyways - I am going to try and convince hubby to take me on Friday since we will both be in town. If he wusses out on me I will go alone next week on my vacation.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:12 PM   #63  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

My friend went to see a Sunday matinee with his wife and daughter, and the theatre was filled with a church group discussing scripture prior to the start of the movie. I think it would be fun to go on a Sunday and have a loud discussion of the parallels between Aslan & Other Gods, Odin, Osirus, Dionysus etc
Old 12-14-2005, 01:24 PM   #64  

It would certainly be a loud discussion! Along the lines of "There is only one God!!".
Old 12-14-2005, 02:58 PM   #65  

That would probably worth seeing for the pre-movie entertainment alone!

Not all Christians act like that but thank goodness my Dad wasn't at that theatre. He has studied just about every religion/philosophy under the sun and probably would have had more than his 2 cents to add - more like 222 cents

Hey, guess what? It's just a story - don't read so much into it.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:41 PM   #66  
Kaipo "Sweetheart"

I did some research and it turns out that CS Lewis was an athiest at one point but decided that his interest in theology and other studies was proof of the existence of God. But all his stories are about miracles, and good vs evil and while he never claimed to be Christian he supposedly put the "values" into his stories.

OK - this is what cheeses me. Since when in the creation of mankind did being a nice person equate being Christian?

In every story - it is always a struggle between and good and evil.

But I know now where they get it from - because in the story the 4 kids are referred to the sons of adam and the daughters of eve (a metaphor thank you for being human and not a witch or talking lion) but when you are taught that everything is about you - you tend to beleive it.

And of course the fact that in this magically kingdom only Man (non magical and completly flawed) has what it takes to save this world from the evil within - sound familiar?

Just once I want humanity to get wiped out and the unicorns to take over - is that too much to ask in a story?

As dumb as Battlefield Earth was at least we lost the first war - of course then the human animals that havent used tech ever in 1000 years suddenly they can fly jets and manage to beat the way more advanced race - unreal.

None of these things change the fact that I want to see the movie.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:42 PM   #67  
Pending Email Confirmation

yay. i think i'm going to go see narnia tonight. can't wait. i'm interested to see what i can read into it that might possibly be of any kind of religion. i remember my days in church as a kid, when anything relating to magic, witches, etc was considered evil. I find the whole thing very interesting...

btw - how fun would it be to debate with people? *L* some things are just for entertainment, I wish people would get that. I remember being so irritated in school picking apart anything that someone wrote to find the meaning. sometimes you just write - sometimes there is no hidden meaning.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:55 PM   #68  

hehe. you must have posted when i was in the middle of it, pj. i too get kind of tired of the general thinking of equating good person with christian. there are good people of other faiths, and for that matter of no faith. and as you said, cs lewis wasn't entirely a christian.
my take, pre movie, is that it is a marketing tool to get more people into the theater. Good old Disney at it's best.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:33 PM   #69  
Kaipo "Sweetheart"

Yep I forgot that Disney was doing this movie - oh well as long as it is entertaining - be sure to post what you thought without giving anything away of course but it should follow the book? Right?

Thinking back to the story it seemed like the last book should have been first or the last book was a prequel even though it was called the last battle - I don't know I need to find my books and just read them - that would be easiest.

I do recall after reading the series of looking for other books by lewis and being disappointed that they all had a religious spin to them.

What was I - 10 yrs old maybe when I read them? 25 yrs is a long time to remember a book or 7.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:42 PM   #70  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

HAHAHAHAHAH!!!! Great thread! I can't wait to see the movie also. Don't know whether to come early for the argument or take my seat JUST as the movie starts to AVOID it!!
Old 12-15-2005, 06:49 PM   #71  

hehe. sadly there was no discussion last night. going the night another big movie opens up is a good plan. there was only about 10 people watching the movie last night. yay.

Honestly, I give the movie a big MEH! It was alright, I'd say if I was going to rate it, it'd get about three stars.
I can see where disney thought they could market it to christians. And honestly, what a great idea, because how many of those kids missed out on movies like Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings because their parents wouldn't allow them to watch them. The movie was along the same lines, but in my opinion inferior to them. The acting was alright, the graphics were alright, but honestly - it could have been better.
As for the christian thing, again, i think it was a bit of a stretch, but i can really see disney wanting to get that field of viewers. but it doesn't change the fact that there is magic, a witch, general fantasy and from my experience with christianity ... those were no nos.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:36 AM   #72  
Kaipo "Sweetheart"

Lightbulb

Well - the power of the internet strikes again.

I was all set to see Narnia last night but Lizziness kept ringing in my ears. I dont mind a less terrific movie but DH would have complained that he wasted the money and the 2 hr and 20 mins.

So I told him that I found my books - yeah! - and would prefer to read the book before I see the movie. I will go by myself later -then I can get it to it more with no distractions. Plus we were putting in a long day and my contacts would never have lasted.

But if Lizz had said it was freaking awesome - I would not have waited.

But maybe Lizz, you were messed up by our forum on the Christian Spin and spent all your time picking out stuff instead of letting yourself get into the story?

I am hoping anyway. LOL I am so not a critic so if it is mildly entertaining and the time doesnt drag - I will love it.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:41 PM   #73  

heh. Sorry Pj, hubby thought it was MEH too - and he didn't know about the hullabaloo. But then, we are both kinda snobby when it comes to our movies.
I've heard people around work that loooooved it, and others that thought it was underwhelming. But don't take MY word for it....

*LOL*
Old 12-18-2005, 01:50 PM   #74  
Kaipo "Sweetheart"

Lizz - oh dont worry I will still go see it - after I read the book again first just so I know what to expect and then I will know if they at least got the story right.

I am not picky - but at 2.5 hrs it better hold my attention that is all I ask.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:19 AM   #75  

Well I finally watched The Machinist starring a very gaunt and ill Christian Bale -
I can't believe he lost so much weight for the role - Thank goodness he filled out and buffed up for the Batman movie and is back to his hottie self

Anyhoo - I really enjoyed The Machinist
Closed Thread