Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 08:36 AM   #376  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Glad to hear you had a nice visit with your DD, Mary and get some new clothes you like. I decided to order that mascara that I saw on Amazon and hope that it's not dried up, so I can wear mascara for a little while longer.

It was a little chilly overnight and DH had the bedroom window open. He wasn't chilly, but I woke up with a stiff neck that hurts on the left side. I hope it loosens up as the day goes on. The weather feels really good now that the temps have cooled down to 70s to low 80s during the day. That long spell of 90s was not enjoyable to me. I wonder where Sandy is? She would be getting this cooler weather, too.

The hurricane and storms didn't reach us here in PGH. We usually get the tail end of it, but they said we will have a few more days with no rain.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:39 PM   #377  

Last night I made some zucchini bread for DH. After it was mixed and I put the loaves in the oven, I went to clean up the counter. When I moved the mixer to clean around it, there was about 1/4 C of flour that had missed the bowl when I put it in. I was a little afraid of how it was going to turn out without that flour but it turned out fine! So I guess the recipe doesn't have to be exact. It called for 3 eggs but I only put in 2 because the eggs I have are really big. That didn't seem to affect it either.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:45 PM   #378  

Height: 5'3"

Resting a bit...we just got home from church, eating out and grocery shopping...went to New Seasons for meat and eggs but then was going to go to Winco for a few other things..we got to talking and forgot to go to Winco! I think too because we knew our son was here doing some carpentry and needed some help finding a particular saw. Dh thought sure he knew where the saw was but when we got home, it wasn't there. I think maybe he gave it away.

I got chicken wings for the BBQ tomorrow. Also making deviled eggs which I will prepare tonight. Wanted to get brownie mix and maybe a bagged salad at Winco so will go back after I rest a while. I'm trying to keep it simple as I have too much to do right now. My dil may bring ribs and or burgers, not sure about the others.

I wore my new dress to church and felt really good in it even though I do look pregnant. I look pregnant in every thing, oh well, but I love the color. Sure enough I got about 4 stains on it first time I wear it. Tried to water clean them at the restaurant but after I got in the car I realized it was all still there. Came home and used dish soap and THINK it's all gone. Washing it now. Didn't want to use Shout just in case it might lighten up the blue color. This dress is really just like a t-shirt in looks and feel on the top, even has a breast pocket on one side...very comfy...its called the Carley.

Hope the mascara works for you, Carol.

Not much news ...hope you are all having a good Sunday!

Last edited by maryea; 09-04-2016 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:27 PM   #379  

Things are going well so far today..got up at 7:30 and marinated the chicken wings before going to my nails appt, came home and finished the deviled eggs...was going to do them last night but I was out of mayo, so dh went out for it while I was at the nail place. Made one pan of brownies last night and made another today. They are now cooling and I have the chicken wings baking. Will turn them soon, then brush with the marinade and cook some more. One son is bring hamburgers to grill, the other is bringing stuff for tacos. Tacos sound good to me. We will also have watermelon and it is ready to go. I didn't get the potato salad or any kind of salad or veggie tray this time.

Carol - Your zucchini bread sounds SO good! I used to bake a lot of that, but now it's too tempting to me. We don't even grow zucchini any more. It grows so fast and we only use the small ones for stir-fries and get tired of them before the season is over even though we give a lot away. But I wish I could eat like I did in the past because I love things like that. I was just thinking another thing I used to make and ate most of it myself...have you heard of Ozark Pudding? It's apple slices in a sweet base, kind of like a custard but with nuts on top So good with ice cream and I ate a lot of that too...no wonder I gained weight. I always say I enjoyed my way to getting fat. Don't enjoy the fat so much though.

Hi Glynne, Sandy!! Hope you are ok, Sandy, miss you.

Last edited by maryea; 09-05-2016 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:31 PM   #380  

I think this recipe is about the same as the one I used for Ozark Pudding. Makes me want some right now! I loved it with some good vanilla ice cream!
Ozark Pudding
1/2 cup sifted all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1 cup finely chopped peeled apples

Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a mixing bowl, beat egg and sugar together until creamy. Stir in sifted dry ingredients, blending well. Stir in vanilla, chopped nuts, and chopped apples.

Spoon batter into a well-greased 10-inch pie plate and bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Sprinkle more nuts over the top, if desired, and serve warm or cold with ice cream or whipped cream.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:00 AM   #381  

That Ozark pudding looks good, but too much sweets for me, and DH isn't crazy about anything with apples or nuts. We don't grown zucchini. People used to give it to me, but they don't grow it either. Jerry's brother had some coupons he got to use at the Farmer's Market so Jerry took him to show him where it was. He let Jerry use one of the coupons and he bought cukes and 2 smaller zucchinis. That's the only reason I had them to make it. I have another one and I don't know what I will do with it. I might make more bread and freeze it rather than having it go bad. I would have rather he bought some lettuce or cabbage that I would use, but I can't complain.

We had out own little cook out. Hot dogs, hamburgers, baked beans potato salad. Same thing all the time, just for the two of us. I think I mentioned that we don't get together with the kids because they would rather be with their drinking friends. My step-son's in-laws are big drinkers, too. I know I make them sound like a lot of alcoholics. LOL They aren't, but alcohol is included in every social get-together and then I don't want them to have to drive home. We like having the day open to do our own thing.

We had a cool couple days, now it's going back to the 90s.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:59 PM   #382  

Another nice cool day. I have a lot to do today so glad it's cool. Our BBQ went well yesterday. There was plenty food as usual. One person compained (or maybe was just surprised) their were no veggies, but he brought a beef and beans dish and fresh pineapple. We also had watermelon. My chicken wings were a hit...I even liked them. Our oldest son hung out with us as his SO was working and he had the three kids. We enjoyed talking with him and playing with the baby. She's 8 mo old now, crawls and can pull her self up to stand. I think she probably will walk early. She loves Halo and giggles all the time at her and even will reach out to pet her. Halo likes to lick her but after that basically ignores her. She loves when our son is here, wish he paid more attention to her because she just sits at his feet adoring him.

Carol - Until our boys moved back we used to have our own little bbqs too. Yes the Ozark Pudding is too many carbs for me too, but I still dream about it. We aren't drinkers much either...dh likes a light beer on a hot day, and we drink a little wine now and then...dh a little more often than me though. I probably drink wine maybe 1-2 times a year. Right now we have three bottles of wine (2 I won and one our sil gave us), we have never opened and we've had one a couple years. Just not that interested.

Gotta run...
Old 09-06-2016, 10:08 PM   #383  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG's,

Another one of those days when the you get to the later part of the day and wonder where the day went.

It was a sun shiney day. Got to talk to Mom today.

Went out for a few errands, then it wasn't too much longer before it was time for Maddie to get home from school. Then Dairy Queen was having some kind of deal today if you showed up between certain hours, you could get a free Frappe' ~ so we went to get those. We didn't eat ours, but put them in the freezer for Maddie on another day.

I was so excited this morning. A friend asked me if I might be willing to make a couple mini quilt/wall hanging things for a fund raiser for my childhood grade school. It was built in 1914. Some of the people in the community just wanted to tear it down, but it is a sturdy lovely old building. They were able to get it registered as a historic building and save it. They are going to use the building as a community center. So, I wanted to make a couple of these mini quilt/wall hanging things I found a pattern for on Pinterest. Part of it has some words embroidered around the edges. The words were made with a font I used to have on my old laptop. When that one started to not work so well, I started using another one Steve had and it did not come with a word processor on it (the old one had Microsoft Works Word). We were able to download a free word processing program ~ Apache Open Office. It has different fonts, but I lost a lot of the cool, fun ones I used for different projects. So, I thought, I'm gonna see if the old one will work long enough that I could print out the words with that font for my project. Yippee ~ it did. I was so happy. I suppose I could have used some other font, but I wanted to make it just like they had it in the picture. Simple pleasures

Another simple pleasures thing. I had some dental work done (lower left back tooth) last Thursday. It went well. But then on Friday evening, the teeth on the other side ~ lower right ones, started hurting. Saturday and Sunday, I was having pain in my jaw when opening and closing it. It hurt to chew, so I ate softer things, yogurt, pudding, mashed potatoes, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. By last evening, it wasn't hurting much anymore and today it wasn't hurting at all. Most every afternoon, we eat a bowl of raw veggies and ranch dip. I really look forward to my veggies. Sometimes that is what I eat for supper. Anyway, I was missing my veggies. I tried them today and so far ~ so good. Another yippee

I should have done some cooking Monday or yesterday, but one thing or another came up and I didn't get it done. Thank goodness there is still some of the soup I had made left ~ so Steve will get that and a salad. Hopefully tomorrow I can get some cooking done. With this diet, you can't just pull something out of the freezer, you have to keep stuff made. Sometimes, I miss the convenience of having that kind of stuff available. Sigh.....

Mary ~ your family gathering and the meal sounds nice. We used to have gatherings with Sara and Jason, before stuff fell apart with Sara's marriage and between she and Jason. We don't do anything with just the two of us ~ just spend a quiet day at home. Kind of peaceful ~ a day off/free day when we don't have Maddie, and can just kind of relax and do what we want ~ without having to be “on duty”. Sometimes, depending on what the holiday is, I will fix up myself a plate of foods that might be had for that occasion, by buying single serving sizes of stuff ~ have to get creative. Steve won't eat stuff that is not on that diet, so there is no use to making any of those foods.

Carol Sue ~ your own little cook out sounds nice too. Your zucchini bread sounds good. I don't bake from scratch anymore. We don't/shouldn't eat it. If I do bake stuff, Sara never likes to take it to her house. If it was left here, I would end up whittling away at it until it was gone, so better not to make it in the first place. We do keep some cake mixes and brownie mixes on hand as Maddie likes to make stuff sometime. She doesn't do that as much now-a-days as she used to, so we've stopped buying those.

Hope all is well with you Sandy. Karrine ~ still thinking of and praying for you and Nan.

Hope you all have a good rest and that you had a good day.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:53 AM   #384  

Sounds like you're been having some good days lately, Gayle. That's good. We want everyone to be happy! LOL

I would not have been making the zucchini bread if DH had not bought those zucchinis. We don't eat zucchini otherwise. It's not a veggie that I like. I still have one other one and the only thing I can think of is to make more of the zucchini bread to use it up. If DH doesn't want it again I can give it away, to a neighbor or to my step-daughter. She can take it to work and the people there will be happy to eat it up.

You are lucky that Steve will eat things that were made ahead. DH won't. His food has to be made right when he's going to eat it. The only things he will eat leftover are stuffed cabbage rolls and lasagne. And he will only eat them the next day, not for days until it's gone. I eat anything. I don't care how old it is. LOL
Old 09-08-2016, 12:08 PM   #385  

I am cooking chicken on the grill today. I have it on the unlit side of the grill with the lid closed, like it's in an oven, not over the flame. I like chicken cooked this way and it doesn't heat up the kitchen. I think I'm going to make zucchini fries with the other zucchini to have with the chicken. I found this recipe online, and it sounds like something I've had out in restaurants.

Zucchini Fries

Ingredients

• 3/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
• 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
• 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
• 1 (9 inch) zucchini, peeled
• 1/4 cup butter, melted

Directions
1. Preheat an oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil lightly greased with cooking spray.
2. Cut the peeled zucchini in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Slice the zucchini ito 1/2 x 1/2 x 4 inch pieces.
3. Combine the bread crumbs, cheese, and seasoned salt in a pie plate. Dip the zucchini fries into the melted butter, then press into bread crumbs. Gently toss between your hands so any bread crumbs that haven't stuck can fall away. Place the breaded zucchini onto the prepared baking sheet.
4. Bake the zucchini in the preheated oven until the fries are golden and tender, about 15 minutes.

EDIT: I did not consider these zucchini fries a success. They tasted good, but they weren't crispy like the ones I've had in restaurants. They were limp and soggy. Bummer.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 09-08-2016 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:46 AM   #386  
Want to feel better

Good morning GG's,

It is only partly sunny so far today ~ 85* Yippee ~ now it's sunny ~ hope it lasts.

Just kind of doing puttery stuff today. But actually those little puttery things add up. While doing ~ watching stuff on the DVR so I can get rid of some of the programing I have saved on there. The thing was getting full to where I wasn't having very much room left for new stuff. One of the shows I like starts up its fall season in a couple weeks, so I wanted to make sure there was enough room to record that.

Supposed to go help Jason today with the “vegetable” project. Haven't heard yet what time he wants to do that.

I had a doctor's appointment yesterday. This doctor is fairly new to us. We had to switch doctors at the beginning of the year and the old doctor wasn't on the list of ones accepted by our new insurance. We started out with one, she left shortly there after. So, we went with the other lady in the office. She is very nice ~ we like her a lot. I liked her even more yesterday ~ she was so sweet and helpful with the things I went to see her about.

Carol Sue ~ your zucchini fries look yummy. I'm sorry they didn't turn out like you had hoped they would. When I first started making my pans of roasted vegetables ~ that is how I thought they would turn out ~ kind of crispy. But they aren't. I was kind of disappointed too. I know, and am thankful that Steve will eat left overs.

Mary ~ hope you keep getting more of the weather that is a little cooler and enjoyable for you. Glad you got to have family time and go visit your daughter.

Hope Sandy is doing ok.

Hope you all have a good day.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:31 AM   #387  

Gayle, I won't make the zucchini fries again. I had them at a restaurant last night and they were very crispy and delicious, the way I like them. DH said it's because they deep fried them. I have heard of other people making regular potato fries in the oven and they become crispy. I never really expected roasted vegetables to be crispy, but I like them browned a little bit.

We are still having hot weather and hoping it will cool down soon. I should enjoy the warmer weather while we have it because we get really cold, snowy, winters, but I just don't like this hot weather. I don't enjoy being out in it.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:37 PM   #388  
Want to feel better

Good afternoon GG's,

The sunshine kind of comes and goes today.

Went and visited Jason on Friday to help him with his vegetable/fruit project for his work lunches. We usually do it on Saturdays, but he planned to get together with some friends to “jam” ~ guitars, drums, rock-n-roll. He has been having trouble with his hands going numb and paining. They were hurting too bad on Saturday, so he was disappointed to have to cancel those plans.

He went and saw a doctor for this and got some medication, but he's still having the pain and numbness ~ he wants to ask the doctor if it could possibly be carpal tunnel or arthritis or rheumatoid arthritis. Poor guy ~ seems every time he turns around it is something else. He is so discouraged.

Worked on a few small sewing projects yesterday. Put a zipper in a hoodie for Jason. His company gave them all hoodies with the company logo that they want them to wear. Depending on where he is in the warehouse, he takes the jacket off and on, off and on and was afraid that having to pull it off over his head over and over again, that he would dislodge and damage his hearing aids. So, I put a zipper in it for him so he could remove it and not have trouble with his hearing aids.

I should be doing something right now, but I woke up with a headache ~ it is mostly gone now, but a twinge of it remains ~ so just don't feel much like doing anything.

Carol Sue ~ I understand about the heat. I don't go out much when it is like that either. Just out to stores or something ~ so, in the air conditioned car and out long enough to go in to stores. But don't do things where we have to stay outside for any length of time. I feel bad for Steve when he does the yard work ~ that has to be done rather it is hot or not. And he is dressed in long pants and long sleeves to protect him from sun and bugs and stuff. Poor guy ~ when he is done, his clothes are wringing wet. We have a little deck out back with a glider, but it seems that we don't get to enjoy it very much ~ it is either too hot, or too buggy. Sigh.......

Hi Mary and Sandy. Karrine ~ thinking of you too.

Hope you all are having a nice weekend.

Edited ~ Confession. I haven't eaten very good today. I had some fudge and chips.

Last edited by glynne; 09-11-2016 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:18 AM   #389  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

Long time no see. Just got back from vacation & need to get back on track. Want to post my weight, daily calories, and exercise. Let's see how long I can do it.

Sun 9/11 - 154 lbs - 0 exercise - 871 calories
Mon 9/12 - 154 lbs - 25 min exercise - 951 calories
Tues 9/13 - 154 lbs - 30 min exercise -

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 09-13-2016 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:43 PM   #390  
Want to feel better

Good afternoon GG's,

Glad to see you back Lynn

Carol Sue ~ I thought of you today and how you don't like the heat ~ when I went out to the mail box. Just that short time of being outside was too much. The mail boxes aren't in front of each house, but in a kind of a bank of maybe 16 boxes that is a couple houses down the street to get to them. So, when it is hot ~ even that short distance is too much time to be out in the heat.

Last edited by glynne; 09-12-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Closed Thread