Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 01:18 PM   #256  

Height: 5'3"

Another rough night of pain, but better now that I'm up and have done my am exercises. I start them in bed then stand up for more. Dh went fishing. At least son is home and we didn't have to take care of Halo last night. She of course is sleeping in (WAY in, LOL) this morning on the love seat in the living room, her favorite place. I opened the curtains and let the sunshine in and she never moved. Wish I could sleep like her. I am babysitting this afternoon.

I am really liking Win 10 still. I had Win 7 too, Carol Sue. You may remember I paid and upgraded to 8.1 and was adjusting to it but didn't really like it. I really regretted buying it. Then later I had to reset my computer to factory settings (don't think it had anything to do with the upgrade) and I just didn't put 8.1 back on as I liked 7 better. I did notice it was slower than 8.1 though. But 10 has pretty much eliminated the problems with 8 and 8.1 and is more like 7 yet has some things from 8/8.1 too. It is not usual that you can get an upgrade on Windows for free so I hopped on it. I follow Kim Komondo and she gives tips on using it and I've not had any great learning curve.

I am considering the next time we have to dog duty...to put her bed in our room to see how she does. If it is just loneliness that makes her restless, perhaps that will do it. I am still concerned she may end up on the living room furniture but am at the point now where I may try it. I hope she doesn't try to jump on our high bed. She has stood at the side with her paws on it and her head is above the bed but I think she'd hurt her back if she actually jumped up. I sleep very close to the edge with my head almost dangling off (my feet and legs often do) in order to feel the air from my bedside fan. So I hope she doesn't suddenly wake me up with her big head above our bed as I'd probably freak out.

We thought about moving our prescriptions to Target, but ended up with Rite-aid because they are closer to us and also have later hours for the pharmacy. We have two Target stores and like them though I don't shop there very much. We used to use Walgreens pharmacy but TriCare no longer has a contract with them. We were disappointed because they are pretty much everywhere and are all connected by computer, so is easier when traveling. However now we don't travel so long at a time so usually not so much of an issue. I guess I just like the Walgreens store better than Rite-Aids.

Hi to Sandy, Glynne, Lynn...hope you are enjoying August...even though summer weather actually came much much earlier than usual to the NW, I still can't believe it's almost fall.

ETA: Wanted to tell a "funny" on myself....I just realized last night that I have a calculator button on my keyboard! All this time I have searched for a calculator and bookmarked it. Now since I have Win 10, I have found one in the start menu AND now found the one on my keyboard. I think the keyboard one is the most handy. Had to laugh at myself.

Last edited by maryea; 08-10-2015 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:22 PM   #257  

Height: 5' 2"

Mary Thanks for letting us know about Windows 10. I'm still a bit uncertain. My computer is 5 years old and I'm not sure how much longer I'll be able to use it. Lack of updates for Window 7 may push me over.
Funny that you just discovered the calculator on the keyboard.

We rarely use Target which is too far away. We have CVS in this part of the country and have used it for ages. Satisfied, too. Especially with our Medical Part D plan uses CVS Caremart. Our meds are the cheapest ever this year.

Scale is 2 pounds above last Monday (after I celebrated the lower number, it jumped 3 days later even higher than today.) Refuse to stop trying.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:37 PM   #258  

Sandy if you want to change computers now you would probably get Win 8 or 8.1 on it. They are not as user friendly although I was doing ok with 8.1 before and of course you can upgrade to 10. If you got 10 now, you'd already be used to it and it is free for a year. It is much better than 8/8.1. And there is a lot of help online for it. The software will tell you if your computer can't handle it. However, if you want to wait a while, new computers will come out with Win 10 eventually. I like Win 10 better and better the more I use it. It gives you a lot of data and info...remembering where to find it is still a little hard for me but I'm learning. I had to install new drivers for my printer (from online) but now it's fine. Since I bought my computer from Costco I can always call the concierge service for help...they even help with my printer as long as the problem is related to the computer. In this case I was pretty sure what I needed to do but was a little scared to do it in case I made a mistake.

Went to the gym this morning. I only rode the bike 10 min and the hand bike 6 min, then worked on five weight machines. I did the little bit of cardio because didn't get that yesterday. We ate out last night (Chinese) but my weight only went up 1/2#. So far I'm on plan with my eating today.

When we rv'ed down south I got to like CVS. I had heard about their rewards card online and was looking forward to trying it. I bought a can of protein powder and had enough for a small reward...I was thrilled! I thought it was better than Walgreens program. Walgreens has changed theirs now and I don't shop there enough to know which is better now.

Our son made bbq ribs and steak after he got home last night. I haven't tasted the steak yet but had a small bite of the ribs and they were good. Looking forward to having them tonight for our dinner. Also have the restaurant leftovers perhaps for lunch. It was a pretty light dish for a restaurant meal, but I did eat more rice than usual, so if I eat it today I'll have only a little rice or no rice.

Sandy it isn't easy losing weight at our ages, but we can do it just a lot more slowly it seems. I have lots of ups and down too. I like to use Weight Commander for tracking my weight. You can find it at weightcommander.com. It's a simple program and I enter my weight each day and then can see the trend up or down. I can see that overall I am slowing even though it is so slowly. One day I'll say I've lost 8# since first of the year, but then the next day it will only be 7# again...grr...hate that but at least it is moving down and I don't let it get me down and just keep trying. Not just for the number but for health....we are more than the number.

Last edited by maryea; 08-11-2015 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:06 PM   #259  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Mary, I am wondering if this Windows 10 is a temporary trial offer and you will have to pay for it at some point in the future. It's unusual for them to give a free upgrade.

I started using Target a few years ago when they were giving a coupon for an additional 5% off storewide with every 5 perscriptions filled. They still have that, but since all my prescriptions are generics they no longer apply, only if I fill other prescriptions like antibiotics etc. It's close for us and there's a lot of other things we buy there.

My copays have gone down this year, too. It's a few dollars cheaper for me to get them filled by mail order, but they refused to fill my blood pressure meds because they said it was a higher dose than recommended, but Target says they will fill it as your doctor writes for it. I used to work for that mail order pharmacy and I know they are very particular about what meds they fill. Doctor's don't like working with them for that reason.

My brother-in-law started getting his meds at Rite Aid because they offer free delivery. He usually picks them up but wants the option of delivery if he can't get out to get them. I might switch for that reason if I were ever in that same position.

My step-son called DH and asked him to come out to help him put up a ceiling fan. He has very high cathedral ceilings. It bothers me that DH drops what he's doing all the time to help him, but will struggle with his own things instead of asking his son to help him. I guess it's none of my business. It's an hour drive to his house and then an hour drive back.

I made chili-con-carne for dinner, but will wait until DH gets home to eat. It tastes better when it sits for a while, anyway. DH like macaroni in his, so I will take out my portion before adding the macaroni. I didn't have an kidney beans so I used pinto beans. Not much different to me.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:03 PM   #260  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for being MIA. I have scaled down my goals - when you fail, lower your standards.

For now, I am cutting out ice cream/frozen yogurt/ice pops/candy/cake/cookies/pastries & diet soda.

Overall goal is to eat according to anti-inflammatory guidelines.

Will spend some time reading posts & get back later.

Lynn
Old 08-11-2015, 05:23 PM   #261  

Carol Sue - no it seems to be permanent use of Win 10. Perhaps it is because so many complained of 8/8.1. They are releasing it in stages, so it is best to reserve it. I actually got my notice that it was ready to download/install pretty quickly after I reserved. I was surprised as from what I had read, I thought it would take longer. You may have a notification in your system tray letting you know about reserving a copy.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:27 PM   #262  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Mary,
I use WeightCommander also. Love his little notes when you begin using. Of course, I drop in (when I'm doing well) and out (when I'm NOT doing well) VERY frequently.

Hi Sandy,
On vacation from eating right (LOL). No, I'm here. I just never want to visit when I'm off the wagon.

Hi Carol Sue,
Any good broccoli & bean recipes?

Hi Gayle,
What RA meds & why can't you take them?

Have a good day, Everyone,

Lynn
Old 08-11-2015, 06:34 PM   #263  

RE: Windows 10. Our son said Mary is right, it is because Windows 8 was such a flop they are trying to regain some lost customers.

Carol Sue Don't understand the hold sons have on their fathers. DH would do just what yours said, and with the office half way between our homes, DH often goes up to help solve some problems. His experience (retired at 80 and worked 60 hour weeks most weeks during his lifetime.) is so good that he sees problems almost immediately from drawings or photographs.

Lynn: Please consider coming here for comfort when you feel out of control. Sure helps me.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:52 PM   #264  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good afternoon GG's,

Down to 21 days ~ getting there.

Lynn ~ To answer your questions about the RA and the meds. I wanted to get the shingles shot when I turned 60 ~ eligible then to get it free with the insurance. But in order to do it, I had to go off my RA meds ~ diagnosed with it 2 years ago in August ~ and on meds since then ~ methotrexate and then plaquenil was added. I found out this because the dr also wanted to add Humira, as my RA was better, but still not in remission. While asking the visiting nurse questions, I found out I could not start on that, or be taking my other meds and get the shingles shot, because they lower your immunity and I would get the shingles if on the meds. So, I had to go off the meds for 6 weeks before the shot and then be off them for 4 more weeks after the shot. I've got 21 more days left until I can resume my meds. I will be so glad when I can. The pain wasn't too bad at first, but it has gotten bad ~ I am miserable. I hurt ….everywhere ~ feet, ankles, knees, neck, shoulders, elbows ~ but worst of all, my hands and wrists. It is worst during the night, so I'm not resting well either. When I get up to the bathroom at night, I can barely walk. I have been trying to ease the pain with tylenol, ibuprofen and tramadol ~ kind of alternating between them and taking something around the clock, trying to keep ahead of the pain. I don't like taking all those things, but I hurt so bad. It was my choice to do this, and there is no turning back now. Just gotta tough it out for a little longer.

Lynn ~ What Sandy said ~ don't worry about if you are on plan or not to come here ~ come here because of the friendship. We're fun girls ~ LOL. (Except for me maybe ~ with my whining about the pain ~ though I've tried not to do it too much) Would you share maybe, what you have learned about the anti inflamatory foods ~ which are good to eat for helping that and which ones should be avoided? I wonder if any of them (that are good) are part of the eating plan DH and I are following right now.

Carol Sue ~ maybe these dads, don't like to admit that they need help. Sure wish yours would let his son help him. Your chili sounds good. Yum. I have a favorite recipe my mom gave me for chili ~ simple to make ~ I love it in the fall when the weather is a little cooler.

Mary ~ is Windows 10 kind of more like windows 7 was? The laptop I am using has the 8 or 8.1. I hated it at first, I still don't like it much, but had to learn to use it out of desperation. I would be glad to have it more like it used to be. I hope you can find some thing that works for your Halo sitting times ~ so that you can rest. That is hard. From here, I think, I wish Mary's son could see the toll it is taking on you guys to do that, but then think, I would probably do the same thing for my kids. The stuff we do for our kids.......

Sandy ~ sorry that the scale had a jump. Good for you though to not give up. I still love reading your descriptions about your various gardens. They sound just beautiful. I sort of have a picture in my mind, but I bet it can't begin to compare to how it really looks.

Guess I'll get off. Almost time for Sara to get here to pick up Maddie.

Hope you all rest well tonight.

Last edited by glynne; 08-11-2015 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:16 PM   #265  

Glynne - Win 10 is kind of a combination of 8.1 (probably 8 too but I only tried 8.1) and 7. They gave us back the starter button but rather than just a list there are the blocks like in 8.1 and you can use them or not. I mostly don't. I do like that I can go to my settings directly from there, but mostly I just go to my browser and I have a bookmark toolbar set up just the way I want it with the places I usually go online. One thing is new to Win 10 ...it has Cortana...which is like Siri on Apple phones...so basically it's a search engine that you can speak to. I tried it a few times for fun but again, it's not something I intend to use much. I just use Win 10 the same way I use 7 however I do like it because it gives me more control over my computer. Hard to explain but there are just more options. So far it works really well and free is a good price. I regret I actually paid for 8.1! I suppose I could have downloaded it again when I had to reset my computer to factory specs but I didn't like it well enough to bother. And now I have Win 10 which I really like so worked out ok. It comes with a browser called Edge but seems to just be a version of IE. I use Chrome so doesn't really matter but I always like having 2 other browsers on my computer...IE, Firefox just in case Chrome is down.

Last edited by maryea; 08-11-2015 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:22 AM   #266  

Mary, I can tell by the way you talk about your computer that you know so much more than I do about technology. I think I did receive some notifications about Win 10 but just ignored them. Maybe it's only free to those who already had paid for 8. I will stick with what I know for now. I'd feel differently if there was someone around who could help me.

Sandy, I really don't mind DH helping his son. DH knows how to do just about anything and it flatters him that his son knows who to come to when he needs help, and his son is learning a lot from him. It just bothers me that his kids don't realize that their dad is getting older and they take him for granted.

Gayle, I'm sorry that you have such terrible pain and have to take those meds. I have heard that they are very harsh on the body and can have some serious side effects, but if they give you relief, they're worth it. Sometimes I think I should go to a rheumotologist but then I'm afraid to be adding those meds onto my heart meds. My pain isn't anywhere near what yours it, but it sure does hold me back.

Lynn, wwe all struggle with staying on course with our eating and exercise. I read a book recently that explains why it's so difficult to stay on track and how the body resists change. It's called "Fat Chance", meaning that the chances of losing weight and getting healthy are "fat chance." It's discouraging to read it, but it explains why most everyone had trouble maintaining any weight loss and most regain what they lost. When you think about it, do you really know anyone who has lost and kept it off long term? Without struggles?

But like Garyle said, we should continue to come here and post as friends, sharing our trials and tribulations as well as our joys.

I don't do much with recipes. I cook mostly meat and potatoes meals which is what DH likes. I like beans, and other than chili, I add a sprinkling to scrambled eggs, salads, and with cooked vegetables. I like hummus, made with chick peas, and eat that with celery sticks. That's how I get the beans into my diet. I've also made some hummus with cannelloni beans and roasted eggplant. That was good.

There is an annual neighborhood yard sale on Saturday and DH has brought out so much from the attic and the cellar to sell. He plans on selling things really cheap to get rid of them. I hope we get rid of a lot and not have to haul it back in. We can be such pack rats. I'm teetering on bringing out a lot of my Christmas decorations and selling them. I have accumulated so much over the years. I will just keep the favorites that I will continue to use. My step-children are not sentimental and they won't want any of this after we're gone. They will put it all in a dumpster, so I'd rather sell it and have someone else enjoy it for a while.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 08-12-2015 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:05 PM   #267  

No Win 10 is free to anyone. Some groups of people did receive it first...like Kim Komondo who gives tech advice/info on radio and online...she said she was in the first group. Then it went out to others in stages. I don't remember all the stages, but as I said I was surprised I got mine so quickly. I hope my computer lasts until the new ones have Win 10 as I do not want to buy one with 8/8.1 and then have to BUY Win 10! I think it is about three years old. In the past my desktops have usually lasted about 4 years. I had a laptop once that lasted 7 years!

Definitely stick to what you feel comfortable with...I just wanted you all to know in case you were interested. I started using a computer in 1991 and I have learned a lot about computers by trial and error and talking to techs. When I call them they often do not really resolve my issue, but I can usually take what they tell me and figure it out myself eventually...sometimes it takes me a while. Computers and software are becoming so much more user friendly though that it is easier now. I still like to talk to a tech now and then though.

I would love to declutter more and get rid of a lot of stuff...we did that when our son moved in but we could still lose a lot more! It's just hard to go through it all and decide what to get rid of.

Well, we are babysitting in a few minutes so better get off this computer. I was going to go out for a few treats for the kids, or even something they might like for lunch, but they are probably only going to be here about an hour so I didn't. I have fruit and graham crackers, milk...the basic snacks. These kids eat healthy most of the time.

You all have a good day!!

Last edited by maryea; 08-12-2015 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:35 PM   #268  

Just got notice that Sony is recommending their computer owners to wait before upgrading to Win 10 due to some incompatibility issues. I think it is mostly that some drivers may have to be updated and they won't have them available for a while. Don't know if any of you have Sony computers but wanted to let you know just in case.

Just got home from Burgerville...had lunch with our dd and gc. We had a nice time with the kids this morning while dd went for a run too. Getting very warm...suppose to be in the 90s today again.

BTW, we left Halo home in the house today ...she had full range of the house.. First time alone. I haven't found any issues so far so think she did fine. Wasn't really worried about potty accidents or tearing up house...she only ruffs up throw rugs trying to make a nest...but I still haven't been too comfortable with leaving her alone to roam the house. I suspect she slept most of the time. She was a sleep when we left. When we came home, she was up but didn't bark or anything like usual...she just seemed a little surprised to see us like she had probably just woke up and was shocked to find us walking in instead of being in the house.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:36 PM   #269  

Carol Sue Please post this"
Quote:
I've also made some hummus with cannelloni beans and roasted eggplant.
I love hummus and yours sounds extra good.

Pain is a funny thing. Last Wednesday's schedule was same as today, Mass, Gym for at least hour (longer today) Bank, Massage, Adoration at Chapel then drove home.

HOWEVER: Last week I had to take 2 Alieve after Gym, and even then the massage on my lower legs hurt more than usual. Today, even tho I worked out longer, I felt great! Massage was longer, too. (a gift) but was the most comfortable I've ever had. What a blessing.

At Church they will be putting in the new sound system so the morning Mass and Adoration Chapel times are called off for both the days I normally go. I have 2 dozen people to call and let them know that Chapel times are cancelled for Tues thru Friday midnight. I enjoy talking with the church family and this excuse is a good one.

PAIN Prayers continue for each of you to be free of pain, or at least have it moderated.

GayleIf I had RA, I'd trade the relief from pain for shorter life, or whatever. I'm a real chicken regarding pain.

Computer: I learned when we had to key in each command but Mom had just died and I had no job, and no car. We did have one of those huge computers so I spent lots of time learning about the computer. Certainly celebrated when new programs made using computer so much easier.

By the time I went back to work, I had learned the newer way, thank goodness.

Tune up on my computer on TUesday got rid of some of the hold ups on downloads, etc. Glad I maintain the Tech assistance, it is worth the cost.

Mary How about Halo behaving while you were gone?!!!

I have a Dell computer, but I'm also going to wait a bit before upgrading from Windows 7 that seems so easy. Glad your computer is cooperating with you.

I'm tired, and will be glad for bedtime. We had "clean out the refrigerator type supper" tonight. Because we'll be gone some days, we had to either eat it or toss it. Some will still be tossed. DH's cabbage rolls were eaten and enjoyed!
Old 08-13-2015, 08:09 AM   #270  

Sandy, I don't have an actual hummus recipe that I follow. When I want to make it I google to find a recipe, then I adjust it to my liking. It's so easy to buy a tub of hummus, but when making my own I can better control the ingredients, such as no preservatives. The first time I made it I didn't have Tahini so left it out. I thought it was fine, but some people say it's not hummus without the Tahini. Now I use Tahini, but I only put in a couple teaspoonfuls instead of the 1/4 cup it usually calls for because I don't like it too much. I use canned chick peas and I peel them. I drain them and reserve the liquid. I put them in a colander and rub them with my fingers and the skins come off. It takes some time, and you don't have to do it, but it makes a smoother hummus. Usually I make 1 recipe using just garlic as the flavoring. Then I divide it and to the other half I add some jarred roasted red peppers, and/or some powdered chipotle pepper to make it hot. Then I have 2 kinds to choose from from one recipe. Here is a basic recipe. I reserve the liquid from the can in case the hummus is too thick and needs thinned out. Water would work, too.

http://www.inspiredtaste.net/15938/e...hummus-recipe/

Since I don't have any chick peas I am going to make some using canneloni beans. Here is a recipe for that.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/c...ni-bean-hummus

In the past, I have made it with canneloni beans and roasted eggplant. Because you're using both, it makes a lot, but it's really tasty. I peel the eggplant after I roast it. It doesn't say that in this recipe.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/c...ni-bean-hummus

I don't automatically follow these recipes. With each ingredient, I add about half of what it calls for then taste as I go and add more if I like. This is how I found out that I don't like a lot of the Tahini. I'm not sure if I will buy it again, because it's a pretty big jar. I liked the first hummus I made without it.

I hope this helps you. It might sound intimidating, but it's relatively easy to make.
Closed Thread