Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 10:05 AM   #136  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynne View Post
Lynn ~ you're doing good with your challenge. Enjoy the visit with your friend.
Hi Gayle,

Thank you for the encouraging words. Kind of a bittersweet lunch with my friend. Most likely, last time I will see her. I cannot imagine going to KY for anything - have never been there in my 70 years.

Happy to be changing my ticker - down 2 lbs this week. Looking forward to at least 1 more lb down in Week 2.

Lynn
Old 07-07-2015, 01:39 PM   #137  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Hello everyone. I lost the 2 lbs I gained over the 4th, and I know now that I will not do that again. I am used to not having a lot of carby foods and it didn't thrill me the way I thought it would.

Rusty surprised us, that the fireworks don't bother him at all. He was out on the porch with us while we were watching them and he actually fell asleep. He's not like that with everything. He barks and growls at the vacuum sweeper, and barks and growls and chases the weed whacker. Ever dog is different. We did have one other dog who used to bark at the vacuum.

Gayle, I think you did very well making the transition to Nutritarian eating. I think you will get back to it, especially since DH is following it too. Keep up the good work. Keep remembering, even if you aren't losing weight, your body is getting healtheir. I'm sorry you are having pain without your RA meds. I was not asked about any meds I was on when I received the shingles shot. At least I don't remember that. You will be very glad you got it. DH should get it to, if his doctor allows. Shingles is very nasty, especially for senior citizens.

Doing good, Lynne! Hope you have a nice visit with your friend.

Love2garden, I haven't had leg cramps in a long time, but had some recently. I'd be in trouble in church because the only way I can stop them is to stand on the cramped leg. It's not a fun thing. Hope you feel better.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:50 PM   #138  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
Hello everyone. I lost the 2 lbs I gained over the 4th...
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Mr. Carrot & I are dOiNg ThE happy DaNcE fOr YoU!

Lynn
Old 07-08-2015, 10:44 AM   #139  

July 8

Progress toward Fiscal Year Challenge goal -
Beginning Weight - 154
Today's Weight - 152
Today's Exercise -
37 reclining elliptical level 3
7 elliptical level 1
Today's Calories - 915

Lynn

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 07-08-2015 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:59 PM   #140  

Lynn, don't dance so hard.....I gained back one of those pounds! LOL

The past 2 days I haven't had as much arm/elbow pain. Two days ago I took an Aleve and it helped a bit, then at bedtime I took the Kelp which seems to help with the pain for some odd reason. Yesterday, no pain meds and only a bit of achiness, but I took the Kelp again at bedtime. I read somewhere that even though Aleve is an Nsaid, it is not shown to cause strokes the was IBprofen does. Don't know if it's true. I can live with the achiness the way it is today, but when the pain gets stronger it really slows me down. I do try to baby the right arm. I still haven't made a DR appointment. Just too many other things going on and the doctor appt doesn't seem like an emergency.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:36 PM   #141  

Quote:
Lynn, don't dance so hard.....I gained back one of those pounds! LOL
Hi Carol Sue,

I have always weighed myself every day. One of the things I learned is that my weight fluctuates every day. This is why I change my tracker only once a week. As long as my weekly weight is even or down, I am happy.

Lynn
Old 07-08-2015, 07:04 PM   #142  

Height: 5' 2"

Lynn I usually weigh daily also, but count the end of the month as weight lost that month.

Carol Sue Alieve really, really is a help. Took two yesterday before driving lots of miles and again today with trip to gym and massage. Glad I did.

I've heard that Alieve's most dangerous side effect is that it thins the blood and can cause internal bleeding. My Doctor cautioned me not to use it continuously, so I save it for those times I really need it. Today my muscles say that this was a day that the med was needed.

Our trip to the mountains was such a good one. I drove, DH and Pat were great company. We went to Cranberry Glades in mountains of West Virginia. The bogs are so interesting, love going there but never had visited this time of year. With all the rain the ferns and Rhododendron shrubs were fantastic. Blooms were from dark pink buds but almost white blossoms. Royal Ferns were as tall as I am!

We visited Helen who has diner between home and the bogs. We usually have at least one meal at her place whenever we go in that direction.

Noticed today that most of the cereal type bars list sugar as the first ingredient. That means there is the most of it rather than oats, etc. I finally decided to get a Baby Ruth with the first ingredient a nutritious peanut. Lots of calories, but less sugar. Should have packed my lunch.

Sandy
Old 07-09-2015, 08:36 AM   #143  

Lynn, I don't weigh every day. It's discouraging to me to see the fluctuations.

Sandy
, my cardiologist told me not to take Nsaids because they are known to increase the risk of strokes. That could be because of the blood thinning properties. He never mentioned Aleve specifically but I read online that it acts differently than IBprofen. I know you can't always believe what you read online. I only took 1 Aleve, although I saw that you can take 2 at first, as long as you don't take more than 3 in 24 hours. I think 2 would work better, but I'm being cautious. My step-children pop all kinds of pain pills with no regard to safety. It scares me. DH and I rarely take them.

I have never been one to eat cereal bars. There might be some protein bars that don't have much sugar in them.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:46 AM   #144  

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2garden View Post
Noticed today that most of the cereal type bars list sugar as the first ingredient. That means there is the most of it rather than oats, etc. I finally decided to get a Baby Ruth with the first ingredient a nutritious peanut. Lots of calories, but less sugar. Should have packed my lunch.
Quote:
I have never been one to eat cereal bars. There might be some protein bars that don't have much sugar in them.
I eat Nugo vanilla bars every morning before I exercise. They work well with my blood sugar. I order them online - 3 boxes at a time.

Lynn
Old 07-09-2015, 10:46 AM   #145  

Height: 5' 2"

Lynn isn't it amazing how our weight fluctuates from day to day. I void, remove all night clothes then weigh. Last week I was down 2-1/2 pounds below what I was today. Grrrrr

Carol Sue Still smiling that Rusty was not spooked by fire works. He has come along quite nicely.

Alieve is still a NSID. Mom took Motrin for her really horrible arthritis for years after even more years on cortisone shots way too often. Her brittle bones and enlarged heart made breathing real challenge. At 5 ft tall, she became about 4ft 8 or 9 inches in the last week of her life when she fell and broke hip. Didn't survive. that was in 1984 but doesn't seem that long ago.

I try to eat organic fruits and veggies as much as possible. Those carrots are so much sweeter tasting. Usually don't eat candy but have been really craving it recently. Tried the 70% dark chocolate to eat just a bit daily, but it was so tempting I finished the entire bar by bedtime. I'll skip that one.

Mary, where are you?
Old 07-09-2015, 11:27 AM   #146  

Here is the article I read that says that Aleve does not carry heart risks that other Nsaids do. I know that people can say anything on the internet so who knows if it's true? Maybe one of these days I'll ask a pharmacist.

http://heartdisease.about.com/od/car.../a/nsaids3.htm
Old 07-09-2015, 04:25 PM   #147  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good afternoon GG's,

Another appointment out of the way (sleep clinic/C-pap). I'm good for another year. Will go to the podiatrist tomorrow ~ they have my new orthotics ready for me. Will be glad to have them as we will be doing some sight seeing next week and I'll be on my feet a lot. Got my new glasses ordered, so not too much longer and they will be ready. I have been without them for 7 months ~ used Dollar store reading glasses to get by until I could get a new pair made.

DH had his follow up with the cardiologist. The extra test they did to check his carotid arteries came back fine. Since he had the stent and the other things check out ok, the doctor thinks the chest discomfort he has sometimes is a hiatial hernia and wants him to see a gastroenterologist for an endoscope to check that out.

Little by little we're getting all this stuff taken care of.

Keeping busy with the (DH) cardiac rehab and (me) the PT for the sciatic pain (I really feel like it is helping).

I tried to make an appointment with the endocrinologist ~ now that all the parathyroid surgery and that stuff is over with ~ to resume with her to follow up on my labs and stuff. They told me that she is leaving the group she is with, but they wouldn't say where she was going ~ said they hadn't been told themselves. They said she was all booked up for now. I asked about getting an appoitnment if someone canceled ~ they said they don't keep any kind of waiting list of people to call if there is a cancelation. Grrrr ~ frustrating. Other doctors I have had who were leaving sent out a letter saying that if you wanted to stay with them, you could and they gave info on their new location and how to contact them, or they gave the names of other doctors you could choose. I really like her and would like to stay with her if I could, instead of having to start all over with someone else. They did give the name of a doctor who she is referring her patients to. Maybe she will send a letter, but just hasn't done it yet.

Getting the hang of this food preperation, when to fix, how much stuff to buy etc ~ so that it doesn't feel so overwhelming now. I have slipped a little a few times, but the more I eat this way, the better I feel and when I do slip, I find that I don't want to keep doing the wrong things, but want to get back to what is right and better for me.
That is major for me.

Sandy ~ glad you had a nice trip to the mountains ~ it sounds like a beautiful place.

Carol Sue ~ thank you for the article about the Aleve. I have felt like maybe I needed something sometimes ~ now that I am off my RA meds ~ to help me get by. I am taking Celebrex right now (the rheumatologist had me working on doing away with that med, but said I could take it while I am off the other meds waiting to get the shingles shot). Anyway, some days, it is like by the evening, I am hurting and so I thought maybe I could occasionally take a motrin to help. But after reading that article, maybe the Aleve would be a better choice.

About the shingles shot ~ I don't remember why I asked the lady about it in relation to my RA meds. Oh, thinking back now, I think I did ~ just to make sure ~ like I checked with her to see if it was ok to get the flu shot. I'm glad I did though. She said that because the shingles shot is a live virus, that the RA meds ~ because they weaken your immune system, you could end up getting the shingles. So I had to stop them 6 weeks prior to getting the shot and then have to wait another 4 weeks until after the shot before I can resume them. I'm part way there. I can resume my meds around the 2 week in September. DH got the shot already ~ right after he turned 60.

Glad that your elbow pain has been a little better and that the kelp seems to be helping.

Lynn ~ what part of Kentucky will your friend be going to? Just curious. My sister lives there and a friend I met ~ ironically here on 3FC. I have visited them. It is pretty ~ country though ~ they live in small towns. Your reason to go there I guess could be to see your friend. Maybe there would be something of interest where ever she is going.

Hi Mary ~ hope all is well with you.

I'd better get off here and get some stuff done. Hope you all have had a nice day.

Last edited by glynne; 07-09-2015 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:27 PM   #148  

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynne View Post
Lynn ~ what part of Kentucky will your friend be going to? Just curious. My sister lives there and a friend I met ~ ironically here on 3FC. I have visited them. It is pretty ~ country though ~ they live in small towns. Your reason to go there I guess could be to see your friend. Maybe there would be something of interest where ever she is going.
Northern Kentucky University in Highland Heights - near Cincinnati, OH.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:30 PM   #149  

July 9

Progress toward Fiscal Year Challenge goal -
Beginning Weight - 154
Today's Weight - 151
Today's Exercise -
30 reclining elliptical level 3
20 treadmill @ 2.6 no elevation
Today's Calories - 1129

Lynn
Old 07-09-2015, 09:32 PM   #150  

For those of you who know Rosie, she is in ICU in Alaska. Please send a prayer her way.

Lynn
Closed Thread