Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 05:56 PM   #196  

Height: 5' 2"

Mary You can drop off smoked salmon at our house any time. When we fished the Great Lakes and brought home salmon, we smoked some and I dearly loved it. We can't afford to go anymore, but sure remember those good times.

After celebrating DD#2's birthday very well at an Italian Restaurant Sunday, our son called so we could celbrate with him and his family at an Asian restaurant on Monday. I did much better with diet the second celebration.

Today to Gym for 1 hr and 10 or 15 minutes of going as hard as I could. Lots of errands, too. then Massage! Boy did I need it. Left this morning at 8:30 am and just got home 10 minutes ago. Good day, lots of steps, too, and so glad to be home smelling what DH is cooking.

Sandy
Old 07-22-2015, 06:24 PM   #197  

Height: 5'3"

Just got home from my MRI followed by grocery shopping. Thinking about make chili tonite instead of chicken, as we have had so much chicken recently.
Last night I made an Asian Chicken Noodle soup but we didn't like it very much.
Dh said to leave out the "hot stuff" and it'd be ok, son said, "it's ok, not the best you've made." I felt the same way. Why am I making soups in the summer anyway Maybe because this week it's a bit cooler...mid 70s and in the house it feels nice and cool.

I lost 2# this week! Wish I could say it was my eating but I honestly think it was probably mostly the increase in Farxiga which acts like as diuretic. Today I had a MRI...it took longer than any I've ever had. Told the tech that and he said some are longer. Hope I'm not getting too much radiation...seems like I've had a lot the last few years. Got the doctor's notes from my x-rays...he said he suspects that my back curvature and the arthritis is pressing on nerves in my back causing the leg pain. He ordered the MRI to take a better look. He didn't mention the ultrasound in his notes but that's tomorrow.

Carol Sue - The new drug is Pravastatin. I looked it up, in the beginning it sounded ideal for me..reduces chance of stroke and heart issues..lowers tryclerides as well as cholesterol etc. but then like all of them it can have serious adverse reactions. He said it causes fewer muscles problems but it also lists them as possible problems to taking it. That's the way it is with all drugs and why I hate to take them. And the more you take the more interactions happen and things can get very complicated. I've seen it many times with old people. Well I'll see how it goes, started last night.

Sandy - Glad you did well at the celebration. It is difficult isn't it. I'm having trouble with ice cream...keep craving it and I bought some ice cream and fruit bars for the gc so have it in the house. Not a good thing. You're sure doing well with the exercise...if we don't do it in the am we don't do it and I have appts every day this week, so looks like that one day at the gym will probably be the only one this week.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:18 PM   #198  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG's,

Sorry I haven't been here much. First I was busy getting stuff together for our trip, then away from home.

We're back now ~ whew ~ need to come back home to get rested up ~ LOL.

DH wanted to go somewhere ~ we tossed around ideas and decided maybe somewhere not as hot as Houston. So, we decided on Michigan. My best girlfriend from high school days lives there. It had been about 10 years since I had seen her, so we made arrangements to see her and asked her for ideas of what to do and see up there. She texted me a list ~ it was very helpful.

We got to see the town of Frankenmuth ~ a kind of Bavarian themed town ~ though just a drive through as it was past closing time for the shops and things by the time we got there. But it was pretty ~ all lit up. The next day we spent with my friend and she showed us around her town ~ a partly Amish community. The next day, we got to go to a little light house. The little lady who was a tour guide was fun to visit with. She asked me to guess her age ~ I said 75 ~ she was actually 90. She didn't look it or act it. Then we went to Charlevoix ~ a town where my friend had lived and I had visited her there when we were teenagers. Her family lived in an old Coast Guard house ~ right on the shore of Lake Michigan. That was really neat. We followed the route along the west side of Michigan ~ a beautiful scenic route. Through an area called the Tunnel of Trees. We stopped and had a picnic lunch in a little town right on the water. Visited a little historic village that had demonstrations of how they made a log into lumber ~ by hand, then how they did it in a water powered lumber mill. Very interesting. We went to Sault Ste. Marie and got to ride a boat through the Soo Locks. We got to go to Mackinack Island ~ no motor vehicles allowed there ~ so we took a horse drawn carriage tour. Maddie's favorite part was a butterfly house ~ a very warm glassed in structure with loads of plants and butterflies flying around.

So, back home now ~ we didn't do much today ~ I fell asleep while Maddie was doing stuff on the iPad. Needed the rest I guess.

I got part of my stuff unpacked and put away ~ then ran out of steam. A project for tomorrow to keep me out of trouble ~ LOL.

I did ok on my diet ~ I had sort of hoped that with the walking around, I might lose, but I guess I wasn't as careful with the food as I should have been. I just kind of stayed the same ~ which I guess is better than if I had gained.

DH and Maddie are going to that $1 family movie tomorrow then probably to the downtown Houston Chidren's Museum. I don't know if he has gotten a little of his energy back, or if he is just pushing himself like he always has done. I said I would just rather stay home. I'm not feeling very peppy. The trip on the plane messes with my ears ~ my ears are sort of blocked up and I feel a bit dizzy and kind of weak. I've had that happen before ~ it went away after a few days. I have some phone calls I need to make and while they are gone and it is quiet ~ a good time for that.

Sorry, to not get around to personals tonight ~ I'll catch up eventually.

Hope you all have a good evening.

A pic of me and my friend Donna
Attached Images
File Type: jpg me and donna 2 resized - 7-2015.jpg (39.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 07-23-2015, 12:39 PM   #199  

Glynne your trip sounds wonderful! I'd love to see more of the mid-NE US. Even on the E Coast I've only been to Philly, N&S Carolinas and FL. How fun that you got to see your old friend too! I think to maintain your weight while on a trip is actually very good.

I just had breakfast and am about to get ready for my ultrsound. Then I babysit afterwards. The MRI yesterday was the longest one I've ever had and the top of the tunnel was very close to my face but at least it was a short tunnel and I could see the light coming from back of my head and could feel a cool breeze from both end. That and the tech telling how long each part of the scan would be really helped. I've never had any problem before but think if it had been any longer (time) or if the tunnel had been longer I might have freaked this time. It was also noisy so they had me wear earplugs AND head phones...that as a first too.

It's a beautiful sunny day, so glad the temps have dropped to mid 70s, and hopefully we will get a little rain in a few days. They don't think it will be much though.

Remember my weight was down 2# yesterday? Well today it was up 4#!! I did eat too much yesterday...everything tasted so good..but 4# Very wierd. I'd say it's just water but with taking 3 pills that act has diuretics a day I would think that would be taken care of! Can't wait to see what it is tomorrow.

Well better get going..

ETA: Well back already. The machine broke down so I had to reschedule on the 28th. Could have gone in this afternoon to another clinic but I commited to babysitting.

Last edited by maryea; 07-23-2015 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:48 PM   #200  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I love salmon but it doesn't taste as good when I cook it. Most of the time I don't like sauces with my food but with salmon I like dill sauce.

Gayle, it sound like you had a good trip and a nice visit with your friend. Interesting places to visit.

I hope you get your pep back soon.

Sandy, I think you are very active for your age, especially compared to me.

Mary, I hope the results of your MRI are good. I have never had one. I had lots of CT scans, though when I had my bowel surgeries. I don't like getting that radiation, but I guess they have to do that to diagnose some problems.

Yesterday, I bought an arm bike. They had small portable ones at Aldi's for $29.95. I hope I like it. I have to find a place to use it. Probably the dining room table as it will be the correct height for me. When I used the one at cardiac rehab it really helped my shoulder. I would really like to have it in my exercise room but I don't have room for a table to put it on.

Our weather has been cooler lately and we aren't supposed to get rain until Sunday.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:00 PM   #201  

I'm realizing that I"ve really not had very many medical procedures except for mammograms and an rare chest x-ray, and x-ray for teeth. Few surgeries except for vein ligation that they never do now because it destroys an artery or vein that could save someone's life if needed , surgery for broken ankle and one knee replacement.

for over 7 decades, that is pretty good.

Arm bike? Neat. I saw one at PT once and wondered. Hope you can get it at the right height.

MRI, sounds like a test I'd go crazy in. I'm claustic and get very tense in heavy traffic. A huge problem at times. Prayer does help, however.

Glad Gayle had good trip to her former classmate and Michigan sight seeing.

DH had a neck and shoulder massage to help his ache, and he agrees, KM is really a good therapist!!! With his Dr's appointment first and running late, we didn't get any mall walking in as I had hoped.

Lobster Bisque for lunch was fantastic!!! We have found a restaurant that we can afford that we pass going and coming from doctors and visits to DD#3.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:20 PM   #202  

Just read this article and thought it was a good one. It is Christian and includes a Scripture. http://takebackyourtemple.com/1-thin...plined-people/
Thought it might be helpful for me and others dealing with temptations to eat against their plan. I also read something the Dalai Lama supposedly said...he said when tempted by a woman, he reminds himself that he is a monk. We can use a statement like, I don't eat that food, I only eat according to my plan etc.
Hoping I can apply a statement like these that will help me resist food temptations.

Dh just took the kids to a nearby park so I'm free for a little while. When they get back I've got some fruit bars for them. I hope they will eat them...they are so used to more junkier type stuff, but my other gk like them.

Carol Sue - I use the hand bike at the gym whenever I can get it..they only have one. I only do six min at 4.5 but I like it and feel it has helped my shoulder. I only started using it when I was taking PT as they had me use theirs. Hope it helps you too.

Sandy - Be thankful you haven't had to have many surgeries. I've had six and hope to not have more, but I know I have at least one thing that may require surgery in time. Dh has had eight, four were on his eye(s). I really hope that neither of us have to have any more!

Last edited by maryea; 07-23-2015 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:17 AM   #203  

I lost the 4 lbs that I had gained. I do think it was fluid since I had been eating some tortilla chips, but I would have much rather not gained it. I don't usually eat those things, but I have it in my mind that they are healthy because they are made from pumpkin seeds. They are still carb, they still have sodium, and they still make me wake up with bags under my eyes. I'm glad I lost the weight, but it was weight that I had gained, not fat that I sorely need to lose. KWIM?

Love2garden
, I agree with Mary that you are very fortunate that you have not had many medical procedures. That's a sign of good genes, but genes are only part of it. You must also be taking very good care of yourself.

Mary, I loved that link you posted. It spoke to me that I need to be disciplined and follow a plan, rather than just doing things (eating) on impulse. I might share that with a couple other friends who would be able to relate to it.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:58 AM   #204  

Mary Discipline is the main key to our loosing the fat we don't need and becoming healthier.

Carol Sue Bet you enjoyed the crunch of this chips as well as the hope that there was some health in them. Hard to say no to so many things. I wish I had the discipline to take just a small amount, savor each bite, and QUIT!

Today was cool and low humidity. Rare for July. DH and I walked the furthest I have walked in almost 2 years. Figure 8 in our subdivision is a mile and 1/4. I've mentally marked where each 1/4 mile is by who lives in or used to live in a certain house. When I reached Norma's, we had gone a full mile and I knew 1/4 mile to go and we'd be home. Celebrating, I thought I could and I did !!!!

Thoughts I read yesterday:

If you think you can't, you can't.
If you think you can, perhaps you can.
If you think God can help you, you can be sure that is true.
Are you praying, listening, and going on as if God is helping?

This helped me get around today along with DH being patient as we walk slower than his natural pace.

Even got a bit of weeding done, too. I really enjoy the cooler mornings. Won't last long.

Sandy
Old 07-24-2015, 10:53 PM   #205  

Happened to me again! Went to the doctor today for the consultation regarding a colonoscopy etc and he was called to a surgery at the hospital so I had to reschedule and come home! So next week is beginning to look busy for appts too.

I did not eat very well again today. Two out of five meals were not fatloss meals plus I either ate too soon or too late for the schedule. My weight dropped down a bit but I am still high. Dinner was good and I still hope to finish the night well. I forgot the article on discipline until now.
Sandy I love your little verse too...if I could just get these things into my head and remember them when I'm thinking about food!

Also after I got home...I felt kind of down...not like I wanted to see the doctor and set up a colonoscopy but like I got all dressed up and had no place to go. I even didn't go to the gym so I wouldn't be so rushed getting home and getting ready for the appt. I don't like to do more than one thing a day. I think that's why I started snacking and over did it. Silly me! I rarely even WANT to go out so why I let that bother me, I don't know. DH offered to take me out to a movie tonight and I didn't even want to go, so it doesn't even make sense. Also I later thought of some things I could have shopped for if I really wanted to do something but of course I didn't think of them on the way home. You guys must think I'm a real ditz! Sometimes I think I use any excuse to screw up my diet! I would love to have one full day of fatloss meals and snacks! I know if I just would commit to it, it would not be that hard!

Last edited by maryea; 07-24-2015 at 10:54 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:09 AM   #206  

Mary, I need to print out the article you posted yesterday and have it somewhere that I can see it. I need to set my mind to this and make it happen. I start out feeling this way, then something screws it up.

I am trying to eat only when I'm hungry instead of trying to follow someone else's plan. Some people say eat every couple hours, some say wait 4-5 hours. I think it makes more sense to eat when you are hungry, as unless you have a medical problem, your body will tell you when it needs fuel. DH doesn't always eat breakfast, but when he does, he makes scrambled eggs for me. Usually without asking if I want them. I am not usually one to turn down food. LOL Today, he made them at 9AM and I ate them, even though I wasn't really hungry yet. Now I have just set my appetite in motion, so I will have to be more diligent throughout the day to be sure I don't just keep eating to eat.

My cardiologist has a sign in his waiting room that due to the nature of cardiology the doctor might be called away for an emergency and your appointment might have to be rescheduled, but that has never happened to me. There was one time I was at the hospital being prepped for a gynocological procedure in the morning and the doctor had an emergency, a difficult childbirth, and they didn't take me til late afternoon. That was a very long day. I'm glad I didn't have to reschedule after being prepped. Then there was another time that I was ready early, waiting until it was time to leave for my procedure, and they called and asked if I could come earlier. That day it was to my benefit that I got ready early.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:43 PM   #207  

Got up late today...I was very tired last night probably due to my bad eating earlier however I did finish the day well and my bs was great at bedtime..that is a rare thing for me. We watched a movie last night and I got so sleepy I went to bed before it was over. My bs was high again this morning as usual but I had a good breakfast so hoping for a better eating day.

It is raining! Instead of a nice sunny day, we have a nice cloudy day and are happy with it! We really needed the rain. Not sure if it's enough but at least it's rain. Not much going on here, pretty quiet.

Carol Sue - The timing of meals with FLO is to prevent storage of fat. The software isn't perfect but considering what they are trying to do for everyone it's pretty smart. I have to admit I feel better when I stick to the schedule. You choose your own schedule based on when you get up and go to bed but for it to work properly you do have to eat every 2-3 hours. Since I tend to be a snacker anyway this works for me. It might not feel right to you since I think you are not a snacker? I am never truly hungry when I follow it and some people complain it's too much food. When I did the Midifast diet I had to eat every 2 or 3 hrs too and I liked that part of it. But I didn't like having to eat their food most of the day and I got sick of it. With this plan I eat what I like and just fit it to the plans criteria for a fatloss meal. It takes a little time to understand what is required but I'm learning. One of my problems was my snacks would often be too large esp on carbs, but I'm doing better.

I'm like you I don't usually turn down food esp if it's something I like. Usually I'm the cook so that makes it easier for me. I think I'm guilty of making dh feel he has to eat when he's not hungry sometimes, so usually now I ask him when he wants me to cook dinner. That's the only meal I cook for everyone.

Well have gotten a very late start on this day so better get off the computer and get going.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:39 PM   #208  

When to eat? Now that DH has taken over the kitchen, the only meal really planned for time is Supper about 6:00 pm (unless he is too tired or we went out to eat for lunch.)

Breakfast is after morning prayers. DH prays for so many people that prayers can last close to an hour. If I walk before breakfast, I need to eat as soon as I return. Whole grain cereal, fresh fruit some walnuts and 1% milk is one of my meals each day.

Noticed I do worse if I wait too long to eat, so the idea of eating every 3 hours or so may work for me. trying it today and rest of week.

DH's family doctor is always 2 hours past the appointment time and he insists on seeing DH every 3 months. Mine is every 6 months and he is usually very close to appointment time.

In past years when I was usually the only cook, I had a schedule for breakfast (usually by 7:30 am, and dinner, usually 6:00 pm with Lunch and snacks up to each member of family.

When our kids rode the school bus home, I usually had a snack with milk for them and I'd listen to their day.

I remember Kit went to school first, and when she came home we had cookies and milk and listened, Then next year son went, and he got to talk first. When Pat, who lives with us now, went to school, she rushed in the house and announced!!! Now you all listen, it MY turn to talk!

I believe she has been talking almost non stop every since. She has large network of friends here in now as well as large one back in Oregon where she lived for almost 20 years. She is hiking with friend today.

Sandy
Old 07-25-2015, 07:37 PM   #209  

This sounds good to me (right now at least), think I'll have it for breakfast tomorrow! I want to make it right now but I have to wait. Will let you know how it tastes. I don't like Wendy's Frostys so if it tastes like that I may not like it.

Peanut Butter Frosty
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 0 min
Yield: 2 servings
Ingredients
1/2 cup chocolate soy milk or low fat chocolate milk, chilled
1 (4 oz.) container whipped chocolate yogurt
1/3 cup chocolate whey protein powdered drink mix
2 tablespoons AdamsŪ 100% Natural Creamy Peanut Butter
Ice cubes
Cinnamon, for garnish
Directions
COMBINE soy milk, yogurt, protein powder, peanut butter and enough ice cubes to equal two cups. Process 45 seconds or until smooth and frosty.
POUR into two tall glasses. Garnish with a dash of cinnamon, if desired.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/2 of recipe), Calories 300 (Calories from Fat 110), Total Fat 12g (Saturated Fat 3.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 10mg, Sodium 230mg, Total Carbohydrate 32g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 25g), Protein 15g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 35%, Iron 2%.

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

- See more at: http://www.adamspeanutbutter.com/rec....Y1mVrlp0.dpuf

Oh no, I just realized it calls for yogurt...I don't care for yogurt in my smoothies so will try it with just added milk.

Last edited by maryea; 07-25-2015 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:59 PM   #210  

Or, maybe I'll try this. Again I'll substitute NF milk for the yogurt. I've done it before and so far it's worked out ok.

Mocha Peanut Butter Frosty
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 0 min
Yield: 2 servings
Ingredients
1/2 cup chocolate soy milk or low fat chocolate milk, chilled
1 teaspoon Folgers Classic RoastŪ Instant Coffee Crystals
1 (4 oz.) container whipped chocolate yogurt
1/3 cup chocolate whey protein powdered drink mix
2 tablespoons AdamsŪ 100% Natural Creamy Peanut Butter
Ice cubes
Cinnamon, for garnish
Directions
COMBINE soy milk and coffee crystals in blender container until crystals are dissolved.
ADD yogurt, protein powder, peanut butter and enough ice cubes to equal two cups. Process 45 seconds or until smooth and frosty.
POUR into two tall glasses. Garnish with a dash of cinnamon, if desired.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/2), Calories 270 (Calories from Fat 100), Total Fat 12g (Saturated Fat 2.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 5mg, Sodium 200mg, Total Carbohydrate 24g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 19g), Protein 18g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%, Vitamin C 6%, Calcium 40%, Iron 50%.

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

- See more at: http://www.adamspeanutbutter.com/rec....zFZsHSlJ.dpuf
Closed Thread