Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 11:07 AM   #421  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

We've been having some rain every day and it's going to continue through the weekend, off and on. Next week they are showing no rain in the forecast. I used to hate that when I worked. Warm and sunny all week until the weekend came, then cooler and rainy. LOL Now every day is Saturday.

love2gargen
, I am OK, and didn't realize I was being quiet. LOL Guess I just don't have as much to say. I hope you get your energy back soon. I don't get to stay home too often as DH always likes me to go with him. He will go by himself to get the car checked, though. Rarely for anything else. I used to go places without him all the time, but now I don't drive very much so he takes me everywhere. We have nothing else to do with our time.

Gayle, I don't know what to say about your weight loss and very good blood glucose and A1c, except "That's wonderful!" Seeing such good results so soon!

I love roasted vegetables. How did you prepare yours? I spray them with olive oil and add some salt and pepper. Over in a little corner of the pan I make some with ranch dressing, which DH likes. I have only made them in the oven but will try making them on the grill with indirect heat to keep from heating up the house. There are never too many!! I like to add a splash of red wine vinegar to them after they're cooked.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:55 PM   #422  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Carol Sue ~ what kind of olive oil sprayer do you have? I thought I might get one of those that you can refill instead of the aerosol kind from the store. But so far, the ones I've read about didn't have very good reviews ~ they would either work fine at first and then quit working or not work from the start. Maybe if I keep reading I will find one that rates well.

When you said you put some aside in the corner ~ that is what I was thinking of doing with some mushrooms ~ don't dare to mix them in ~ DH hates mushrooms ~ LOL

Blue meets green ~ sorry I haven't had a chance to welcome you yet.

Carol Sue ~ hope you get some sunny days to enjoy.

Love2 ~ sorry you have had so many things going on and that you are tired. Hope you can get rested up.

Mary ~ missing you here.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:49 PM   #423  

Height: 5'3"

We are back home after a few nights at the WA coast. The weather was cooler than here at home but it was never really cold and it only rained once that I remember and then only for a little while. Also the sun shined at least part of every day. Mostly it was very very nice! The beach was about 1/2 mile from our condo and we walked it Tues and Wed so got about a mile each day plus a little walking on the beach. Then yesterday we went to another beach, Damon Beach at the end of the pinnsula and it was beautiful. Lots of rocks and the water was so blue. It was a little windy while we were there...and that picked up later...we had planned to walk down to "our" beach once we got back but because of the wind and dh being tired we didn't. It was a nice, peaceful trip.

Before coming home we drove to McChord AFB to do some shopping...kinda far out of our way but I won a $50 GC for the commissary a while back it was our chance to spend it. So we got $76 worth of groceries for $26. Not bad. It's good to be home of course and I was missing my son too. We plan to stay home for a while now and get things done around here. Those were our only scheduled trips. First thing on our agenda is to buy a new lawn mower so we will be shopping for that. Then possibly a new washer and a new toilet for our main bathroom. All of our stuff is fairly to really old so a lot of things need replacing or remodelling. We will only do a little at a time. The bedroom shade I ordered is here and we hope to get that installed soon too. Hopefully it will match our new lamps although I did not consider that when I bought it.

Love2Garden - sorry you are so tired but know that medical procedures are tiring...hope you are ok and will be back to your energetic self soon but take as long as you need to rest.

Glynne - Glad the diet is helping. I have found it doesn't take long to see some results if it is a big change in your diet. My BS and weight was already dropping again from just eating less in the evening before we left, however my BS have again been higher since I've been gone and I hate to think what the scale will say tomorrow. I have two wierd ideas I have a hard time shaking....1) After dinner, all the rules are off and I can eat whatever I want
and 2) when on a trip all the rules are off and I can eat whatever I want.
Too bad diabetes doesn't agree...

I haven't gotten a call yet about my colonoscopy but I should soon. Ugh! Seems like so many people are doing that these days.

So glad your dh got in for his treatment when he did! You guys have been through a lot of medical type stress it seems recently...even just getting all this stuff done can wear you out. Sounds like you're doing the right thing with this diet, so GFY. I hope your dh is recovering well.

Welcome to our group, blue_meets_green! We're a friendly, chatty bunch even though our group is currently not so big.

Donna - Glad you popped in! I'm fine...just running around..

Last edited by maryea; 06-05-2015 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:01 AM   #424  

Gayle, I have been using Olive Oil Pam recently, because it's convenient. I bought a sprayer for olive oil but never used it because once I saw the Pam spray I figured it was more convenient. I have always wondered if the olive oil stays fresh once it's in the sprayer, and never really knew how to store it, if it needed to be kept in the refrigerator or not.

When I made the roasted vegetables I add some frozen artichoke hearts but also don't mix them in with DH's portion because he doesn't like them so you could do the same with the mushrooms. Maybe DH would like them roasted. They have a lot of nutrition.

In PA, even when it's not raining, we get a lot of cloudy days. I like that, because my eyes are very sensitive to the sun and I really don't like to be out in it. I like it being warm, but without the blazing sun. I would be in BIG trouble if I lived in Tx, Az or Nv. LOL

Your trip sounds so nice Mary. Glad you had a nice time. I'm starting to feel the same way about evening eating, and that's not good.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:39 AM   #425  

Height: 5' 2"

Carol Sue I've learned that Olive Oil will stay fresh for at least a month after opening, but was advised by a nutritionist not to buy the big tins unless I use a lot. Now we buy the bottles that are used up in 2 to 4 weeks.

I bet roasted mushrooms would be good. Yesterday DH made his specialty, bit of olive oil in iron skillet to cook big portebello mushroom, add provolone cheese slice and some mayo with chopped fresh garlic and on the thin whole grain buns. Messy but delicious.

You would be comfortable here today, cool, cloudy and delightful outside. We walked 3/4 mile in our neighborhood and I came home so sweaty that shows how this huge body is having to work extra hard just to walk!!! Now having coffee on patio in shade is comfortable. Gotta get this weight down this year.

Mary A walk on the beach? Wow, I do envy that. DH's family always went to beach in middle of day when I was miserable in the heat, sticky sand, and afraid of getting burned. DH and I prefer the cooler Mountains where we spent 95 percent of our vacations.

Getting a good deal on commissary food is a real bonus.

Gayle Glad you are checking in more often. Yes I'm rested up and like Carol Sue, I usually go most every where with DH. I was glad to finally get yesterday at home when he took car to shop.

Lost a bit over a pound this week and waited a day to be sure it was truly off. it is. Not really hungry like I used to be. Doing without sweets is making a huge difference.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:50 AM   #426  

love2garden, I buy very small bottles of olive oil as it takes me long to use it up. I keep it in the cupboard and it seems to keep well, but I'm not sure how it would keep in the sprayer bottle I have. I think the one I have is a Misto brand, plus I have another one that DH bought at Goodwill, don't know the brand of that one. I guess I should get them out and try them, but I am just so spoiled with the ease of using the Pam spray. The thing I don't understand about them is how they say they contain no fat. How could it be real oil and contain no fat? DH won't use it at all but I do use it for spraying my grill pan when I cook for him and on the roasted veggies which he does eat.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:01 PM   #427  
Want to feel better

Good afternoon GG's,

A quiet day here today. Busy, but able to do things at my own pace today.

Yesterday was the first day of summer vacation for Maddie. I needed some more grocery items, so took her with me to shop. DH (since his procedure) has been tiring easily, so he said I should take her with me. Up unitl now, I have been chicken to take her places alone. You never know what kind of mood she will have ~ she will be fine ~ and in the blink of an eye ~ things are not fine. I was afraid we would have a disagreement about something and she would get in a snit and take off on me and I wouldn't be able to keep up with her. We did ok. She wanted things and of course I couldn't say yes to everything. (Candy, bubble blowing devices, new shoes, Little Debbie cakes, a little salad dressing dispenser ~ which she said would be good to put little candies in ~ LOL) When I had to say no, there of course were attempts at persuasion going on, but we worked it out. I was firm. I got her the sprite she asked for and a little package of cheezits.

When we got home, all on her own (without being asked) she helped me carry in the groceries. Later she asked for the swiffer (her idea) so she could dust some things. (It needed it)

Been busy today ~ the family room ~ where Maddie does most of her playing ~ was quite a cluttered mess ~ toys and stuff all around.
Maddie gets stuff out ~ and just keeps getting stuff out and not putting things away ~ it is my fault ~ I don't maker her. By the time it is time for her to go home, I just want her to go home ~ not because I don't enjoy having her here, but because, I am tired and ready to relax ~ and don't feel like going to battle ~ not that there will be one, but I don't want to try to start and end up with one and not follow through with what I started ~ so I just let it go and let it go ~ days upon days ~ until I can't stand it anymore. So, that is done.

Resting up now, then on to tackle the next thing. I want to make a bowl of fruit salad, and a couple other recipes. Trying to get some things fixed ahead, so things are ready when hunger strikes. I get growly when I am hungry, and in the past, have just grabbed what ever to eat. Trying to change my ways.

Love2 ~ glad the weather was pleasant for you today and that you could get out there and enjoy a walk. Way to go.

Carol Sue ~ what are the artichoke hearts like ~ do they taste good? I have seen them, but haven't been brave enough to try them.

Mary ~ sounds like you had a nice time. Glad you got a chance to go. The beach walks sound heavenly. And the shopping trip turned out well with the good deal you got.

I'd better get back on the ball ~ hope you all are having a nice weekend.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:26 PM   #428  

Gayle, artichoke hearts are hard to explain. I like them. They do not have a strong taste. I like the frozen ones when I make roasted vegetables or sometimes I buy the canned or jarred ones packed in water (I think) to eat plain or in salads. I don't think anyone would really think they taste bad. We went to a buffet recently that had them on their salad bar and I piled my plate up with them. They also had hearts of palm that I liked and that's the first time I tasted them. I like trying new and unusual things. You could buy a small can or jar of them to see if you like them. I never tried the marinated ones. I don't know what they are marinated in. A week or so ago I bought a whole artichoke to try. I steamed it and ate it. It was OK, but it was so much work to get to the heart which is the best part. It's easier to me to just buy the artichoke hearts. Any time I want to try a new vegetable, I google for ways to prepare them. If I find a recipe I think I would like, I read the reviews and see what other people thought of it.

I could never watch my 6 year old grandson without DH. He is very active and knows that grandma doesn't get around very well. He only wants me when Pap Pap is picking on him and he wants sympathy. DH is much more active than I am and plays hard with him. But I can understand that your DH just had that stent procedure and wants to take it easy. I hope he's OK. Maybe you should call the doctor and ask if it's normal for him to feel this way. I don't really remember how I felt after my stents.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:19 AM   #429  

We spent all afternoon (til about 6 pm) shopping for a lawnmower. Finally decided on one at Home Depot. They brought out the big box and for some reason dh asks which one did we get? I showed him the one we got and for some reason I had a slight doubt the box was the correct one. So when I saw our sales rep, I pointed to the one we wanted and asked it if was the one we got and he said yes. Don't even know why felt doubt but I couldn't find the item number, but we were tired so we went on to the cashier. At the cashier the cost came to a lot cheaper than I expected! I asked if the item was on sale..but the the cashier said they never know that. As we pushed the cart to the entrance, I told dh I think this is the wrong mower, not the one we chose. It was about $200 cheaper! I told him we'd better go back and check, but he didn't agree. It took two guys to get it into the back seat and wasn't easy even then. On the way home I told dh lets not remove it even if our son was home (to help) because I wanted to check the box...he still thought I was wrong, but I insisted. I rarely do that so guess he knew he'd better listen. Sure enough I saw the size of the engine on it and it was not as big as what we bought. So back we went to Home Depot and exchanged, paying more. Surprisingly it only took one guy to get it out of the car but two guys to get the new one in. By the time we got home we were very tired but our son was there to help with the box. He is so strong! Dh will wait to get some non-ethanol gas before using the mower as that is suggested. Another Home Depot had a list of places you can buy it here.

Carole Sue/Glynne- I like artichokes...not so much the ones in the little jars but fresh even though I never buy them. My dd introduced them to her family early on and her children love them. She steams and eats them by breaking off and dipping in butter. I have eaten them at her house and enjoyed them. I babysit my gc alone but we don't go shopping. I could manage the older almost 6 to almost 10 ones but not the younger ones. Glad Maddie behaved so well for you, Glynne. Such a relief when they are good! Of course I have lots of older teens to young adult gc too! I would love to shop with them, except I don't hold up to long shopping very long anymore and am really not much of a shopping unless I'm looking for a specific thing like the mower today.

Love2garden - In that case, I keep my olive oil way too long! I don't like to be out on the beach when it is too hot, but this week was just right. I forgot to say at the second beach (we drove to it), we got out and walked out to the beach and on the beach a while...not sure how much but between the mile walks, and the shorter beach walks, plus shopping I think we got quite a lot of walking in. I loved the mile (both ways) walks to the beach because it was
the kind with plant life all around us. We didn't see any animals but lots of birds...and heard more than we saw. There was another place we wanted to go ...kind of an animal and bird reserve...with long and short trails, but when we checked it out, we decided not to do it because there was no safe near parking place and so we would have to walk to even get to the entrance and then walk the trails...knew that would be too much for dh. Strangely, he can work so hard but just walking or standing and really wear him out. However like when he shoveled and spread the barkdust, he took breaks after every area he did. I love the trails that have places to rest every now and then for that reason.

Last edited by maryea; 06-07-2015 at 12:26 AM.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:31 AM   #430  

Mary, I know how you felt, not being sure that you had the right lawnmower. I always double check numbers when we make big purchases because people make mistakes. It's terrible to get all the way home and have to go back. DH has learned to listen to me with things like that.

I guess if someone else was preparing the fresh artichokes I would enjoy them more but I didn't think they were worth all that work. You have to trim all the little points off each leaf, steam them, take out the choke, and I wasn't sure which was the choke and which was not. The little leaves you break off and dip are OK, but not much to them. The best part is the heart at the bottom, but you go through so much to get to it. I want it after someone else had done all the preparation. LOL Years ago my friends old Italian mother made stuffed artichokes. They were good, but again, someone else prepared them. The one I bought was over $1, and after all the work, you only get 1 heart. For a couple dollars I can get a whole jar of hearts, all prepped and ready to eat. Some things I think are worth the work to prepare, but artichokes aren't one of them. JMO

The thing I don't like about walking on trails, or anywhere outside for that matter, is if I get tired or out of breath I still have to walk back. I had that problem once when we were walking in the park. We got half way around the circle and my legs felt like lead. I just felt like I couldn't take another step. There was no bench, so I sat down on the ground. DH was going to go get the car and come pick me up, but I didn't want him to leave me by myself as it was in a wooded area. After I rested I was able to continue on to the car. Since then I only walk on my treadmill, where I can stop instantly if something happens. I made DH quit hunting for the same reason. If something happened to him out in the woods they would never get an ambulance back in there to help him, and also, there isn't much cell phone reception to even call someone. He had enough fun doing that when he was younger. I guess I am just too cautious.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:24 PM   #431  

Height: 5' 2"

Carol Sue When you told of getting 1/2 way around then couldn't go farther, that is exactly the situation I was in about 2-1/2 years ago. I couldn't sit on grass, because I couldn't get up. Mine was Asthma had become much worse. Oxygen level so low. New meds are bit risky, but my oxygen level was 97 a week ago inspite of stress of medical procedure.

Joints in pain mean we have to be intelligent in our actions. Walking inside where you can stop when you need to makes good sense. I miss the freedom of going where ever I wanted when I was younger and had good knees (And lots less weight.)

Mary What a story about your mower! We will be very careful on our next purchase. So glad you finally got the right one. Don't know who to trust these days. I remember when we could rely on someone in the store to really help us. Home Depot comes the closest these days, some of their help actually do know what they are selling.

Gayle What a brave woman you are to take Maddie shopping by yourself!!! So glad it turned out so well, and what a darling she was to help you, too!

DH doesn't hunt or fish alone any more either. When he was younger I still worried, but he was so athletic and strong well into his late 50's and early 60's. He goes with DS and DGS soon to fish but the place they stay is in such terrable condition. What ever bedding he takes will NOT be brought back home. Do you suppose I should have him strip out back and put all his clothes in a garbage bag, too?

We live in a subdivision so that isn't going to happen.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:41 PM   #432  

Wonderful service this morning as usual, stopped to pick up a few grocery items, came home and made a beef and veggie stir fry...lots of veggies...asparagus, green pepper, green onions and mushrooms. Dh liked it but said he wished I'd put garlic in it, so I am adding that to the recipe. I usually use garlic and onion in everything I make but occasionally I leave out garlic as I'm not a big fan of it. A little bit's ok though.

Dh is now rethinking his mower purchase and is considering exchanging it for the one that is $100 less. It will be much easier taking it back in sons SUV if he does decide to. He went to get gas though so I think he is going to try it out before making the decision. There is only one thing he does not get with this one that he would get with the one that is $100 less and he gets at least two upgrades with this more expensive one. I'm doubtful the one thing that is missing is that important but leaving it up to him.

Now I'm looking for a new washer....gosh didn't realize how expensive they are! I can afford it but really didn't want to spend so much however I do want a good one. I looked at them while we were shopping for the mower but now will start in earnest. I like to start online and print out the ones that esp look good to me before going to the stores, but I prefer to buy in the stores esp if I end up where dh can get as military/veteran discount.

Love2Garden - Your dh sounds a lot like mine...he was pretty much a "young man" physically until he fractured his leg in 2010 when he was 75. Even now he can do many things that even lots of younger men cannot or will not. He has always been a hard worker but he now at 80 is finally realizing even though he can still do hard work, he needs to take breaks. I am also asking him to please not lift heavy things because the doctor thinks he has spinal stenosis...his complaints certainly fit the description. That and not going up high on ladders (he uses a 5 ft ladder but stays on the lower rungs from what I've seen), and not going on the roof are the only other restrictions I've placed on him. He still goes fishing usually alone but there are usually lots of men where he goes these days, while they are not probably "watching over" him, they would likely notice if he had a problem. He no longer goes where he has to climb over big rocks. Whoops guess that was another "restriction" I put on him. But I think he knows he really is not that safe in any of these situations and it still leaves him plenty he can do. He keeps really busy when the weather is nice.

Carole Sue - I agree about the work of artichokes...probably one reason I don't buy them. I like a simple life anymore. A lot of trails now have benches or at least big rocks one can sit on. I think they are more accommodating for older people now since there are so many of us. The 1/2 mile to the beach we walked was more primitive with high grass and flora on each side so no room for benches though but we knew we could walk that much, then on the beach there are large pieces of driftwood on which we could sit and rest before walking the beach. I had no problem but dh needed this. He wasn't short of breath but just gets tired easily. Another reason we didn't go into the animal/bird reserve to walk the trails was because I didn't know weather there would be places to rest. Yes you definitely have to think of how far each way is before undertaking a walk/hike. Also when you return will you have to go uphill is another consideration. I love inclines but I don't like very very steep areas and I know if I go down them I will also have to climb back up. What I can do on the outgoing walk is easier than coming back will be if I'm tired But I really really do enjoy walking outdoors, just have to be a bit careful of the difficulty level of the trail. Yes I'd be concerned about dh going hunting. Son would love to take him but I told him if there was an emergency there is no cell service...it might be hard to get him help quickly. They might also have trouble finding them if they got pretty far away from their car. I even worry about this with my son but he makes his own decisions. Fortunately dh doesn't really care about hunting.

Last edited by maryea; 06-07-2015 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:04 PM   #433  
Want to feel better

Talking about walking and needing to rest, I have that difficulty too. I bought one of these little chairs and it has helped me. I bring it along when I am not sure if there will be places to rest, or if I think there are situations where I will have to stand and wait ~ if I can keep moving, that is better than having to wait and stand in one place. That really bothers me.

I ordered it online from L L Bean. It is only 4 pounds. It is really sturdy ~ it holds me.

I also purchased one of those walkers with a seat and that has been a big help too. That would probably not work for trails, but it has really helped me a lot in certain situations. Like last weekend when we went grocery shopping, my husband looks at stuff and might stand in a place for quite a while while he tries to decide about things. I knew there would be a lot of that, so I took my walker. I don't need it really to walk, but to sit when I have to wait. Especailly when I need to stay in the area/near where DH is looking at stuff. A lot of times ~ a bench might be available, but not near the person I am waiting for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Quick-E-Seat.jpg (26.7 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by glynne; 06-07-2015 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:06 PM   #434  

Great idea Glynne! Can it sorta be used as a walking stick when it's folded too? We use walking sticks these days as they give me a real feeling of security when going down steep places esp.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:16 PM   #435  
Want to feel better

Mary ~ It probably would not help as a walking stick ~ it is only 27 inches tall when folded up. It has a shoulder strap so you can carry it on your shoulder.

I have a fold up cane to that I put in my back pack for walking on unsteady places or places where I have to go down a hill. Trying to go down a hill without that cane to hang onto kills my knees.

I feel sad that I am in such a shape and need all these things, but I guess it is better to have them and be able to get out and about than to just stay inside in my chair all the time.

Maddie likes when I bring the walker to places ~ while I walk and push it ~ she likes to hitch a ride on the seat ~ LOL.

Last edited by glynne; 06-07-2015 at 07:34 PM.
Closed Thread