Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 07:13 PM   #391  

Height: 5' 2"

Mary Security system? we've never had one, but once we went to bed with the garage light on, and solid door open, anyone could have walked right into our dinning room. Thank God, no one did!!!

Now we both check all doors near dark, just to be sure.

Your celebration sounds so good. Even when company arrives late (our family is bad about doing that) having all that preparation made allows you the relax and enjoy them. Did that mean you had to wash up all those dishes by hand? Hope you get dishwasher issue taken care of.

Carol Sue No wonder you are concerned about flees and ticks outside (or worse brought inside.) We never sprayed for them with our dogs. Each wore thos collars that were supposed to help them. Recently our daughter told us that some of those "flea collars" can be bad for a dog's health. She blames them for loosing her tiny dog a few years ago.

Gayle You dread the colonoscopy and that is understandable. Mine is scheduled for 7:00 am Monday at the city. At least traffic will be less a problem going into that city. I've heard they have improved the preparation that I'll have to do. Hope that is true. I will be sedated, and DH will drive me home. Don't expect I'll get much done that day.

Do any of you know if eating afterward has to be done very carefully?
Old 05-28-2015, 12:57 PM   #392  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

We have never sprayed the yard for fleas and ticks but want to look into it. We use Frontline on the dogs them which is a once a month treatment. They said that Rusty came in with fleas and was treated and that we have to continue starting in June. We were not good at keeping up with it with Pupper and we found a tick embedded in him. DH removed it and we thought that was all we had to do, but within a month he died. He was old so it could have been a coincidence but I don't want to take a chance.

One time our other dogs got fleas really bad. We had to take them to the groomers to be dipped and then had to set off foggers in our house to kill the fleas and larve. You have to stay out of the house for several hours and then come home and open all the windows. It worked. Also, we bathe the dogs in Dawn Original Dish Detergent. It is said to deter fleas. That's what they use on the ducks and geese that get into the oil spils. It cleans them safely.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:55 PM   #393  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good afternoon GG's,

Phew ~ well I made it ~ got the colonoscopy done, so I should be good for a while then with that test.

It was kind of stressful ~ with all the flooding going on here in Houston ~ I didn't know if the roads we needed to travel to get there would be passable or not. We left early just in case ~ it was mostly ok ~ a couple places had water out into the road, but they were passable if you got over in the other lane (a two lane back road). Then, worrying if the doctor would be able to make it there. They said he was running behind with some of his earlier appointments. He was about ½ hour late getting there. That was ok ~ as long as he got there and I could still get it done that day and not have to reschedule and have to do that prep over again ~ I didn't care if he was late, as long as he got there. So, yippee ~ it all worked out and I am done with that. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

Love2 ~ I wasn't dreading the colonoscopy ~ I was dreading the prep for it. The colonoscopy ~ they put you to sleep ~ you don't feel anything or remember anything. The prep ~ some say it is awful. It isn't awful exactly ~ just a thing you do because you have to ~ not because you enjoy it ~ LOL. The preps have improved ~ they used to make you drink a whole gallon of liquid (they were still doing it that way in the hospital when I was nursing). The first time I had it done ~ it was 4 pills, then ½ gallon of gatorade with miralax powder mixed into it. You drank an 8 ounce glass of this mixture every 15 minutes until it was gone. By the last two glasses of the stuff, I was about ready to barf. They also provided a couple of tablets of some kind of nausea med.

This prep was almost the same. First there were 4 pills, an hour later was a bottle of mag citrate. Then wait a couple more hours and drink 4 – 8 ounce glasses of that gatorade mixture. Then 16 ounces of some clear liquid. Then wait a couple hours and finish the gatorade mixture. I think it helped to have that break in between the two ~ 4 glass sessions. I think maybe my stomach got too full last time ~ having to drink all 8 glasses in a row and maybe that is why I felt nauseaus. This time I didn't ~ the only thing was the after taste I had after drinking each cup of the stuff. It didn't taste bad going down, but the after taste ~ I just chewed gum and made it through that way.

Sorry that was so long Love2 ~ I guess I was hoping that by sharing my experience it might help you not dread it so much. Hope you have an easy prep and that the procedure is not too bad for you too.

Carol Sue ~ how is Rusty doing? The hill behind your house sounds so pretty ~ I would love to see pictures of it. Here is a link for resizing pictures that I have used for pictures I try to put on here that it won't take until I fix. It is really easy to use.

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/resize.php

We're going shopping this weekend for foods to start that Eat to Live diet. DH talked to his brother ~ who has been following this way of eating for a couple years now. He had some tips and tricks to make it easier. It can be done more simply and without making a bunch of recipes. He tried making some of his own stuff at first, but ended up still buying some things ~ so the input he gave us helped ~ and made it seem do-able instead of like a difficult thing. I think as I said before, that I will be able to do better this time with it because DH is going to be doing it too.

Mary ~ hope your back is feeling better. The table lamp you ordered is very pretty. The hotels we stayed in on our trip this winter had the phone charging things in the bases ~ we really liked that. We have had security systems in this place and the two places we lived before this one. We didn't/don't pay to keep them operating. Looking back ~ I wonder if it would have helped when the kids were teenagers. Maybe scum boy (ex-SIL) wouldn't have been able to sneak in and Sara wouldn't have ended up pregnant. Hind site The one in NC, I was working on packing and moving boxes in the attic and accidentally bumped something and even though the security system wasn't paid for to work, some kind of loud alarm went off ~ I couldn't figure out how to stop it. I worried that the neighbors would be mad at me ~ it was very loud ~ even out in the yard. I can't remember now how it stopped, if I called my husband at work and he told me how to stop it, or if it stopped on its own after a time. The one here ~ even though it is not paid to work ~ some kind of alarm will go off from time to time ~ don't have a clue what sets it off. Thankfully it isn't loud like the other one, and I know how to shut it off.

Yippee ~ sunshine today. And Yippee ~ less trips to the bathroom ~ LOL.

Hope you all are doing well.

Last edited by glynne; 05-28-2015 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:02 PM   #394  

Height: 5' 2"

Gayle I appreciate the information. It is not knowing that is the worst. Glad your's is over and it does sound as if I better leave Sunday free - day before test at 7:00 AM Monday. I'm supposed to receive a letter with map of directions plus instructions for preparation. Just got mail and the letter explains a lot of things.

Carol Sue Dawn seems to be the absolutely cure for everything. I was told to use that after pulling poison ivy, cuts that oil best to prevent itching, and it worked. DH believes it is best for washing car, and everything else.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:45 PM   #395  

Height: 5'3"

Dh went fishing this morning but again no fish, no one was catching any. He fishes off the bank but a friend who has a canoe takes his line out further, but still no fish. I was hoping he'd get one today. It got to 81 degrees today and our AC kicked on. Feels good in here. I only got a bit warm when I was doing laundry in the garage and while exercising. I rode my bike twice, ten min each and hope to get in more tonight. My weight was up this am probably because we ate out last night at a diner ...salt and fat..but good tasting. Dh and I shared a huge chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, and corn...ok, corn got counted as a veggie tonight...that's twice that's happened recently. Gotta watch that, but it was ony a tiny bit. I also got a one scoop sundae though...yeah, confession time.

Today I had a sf mocha frappe (made with almond milk) and some grapes for breakfast. Guess I should have had some protein with that. Lunch was a grilled cheese sandwich (which I burned!), and carrots. Afternoon snack was a few pork rinds and blueberries. Dinner was 1/2 of a large baked Rock Fish fillet, and 1/2 plateful of mixed veggies. My bs has been a little better today although still not really good. I think if I keep being fairly careful at least it will come down more.

Yes I had to wash all the BBQ dishes by hand and I don't use paper plates or cups. Never have cared for eating off them but if I'd known the dishwasher wouldn't be working I'd have bought some cups at least. A part we need came today but the tech won't be here until June 8th. I don't really mind washing dishes since most of the time we don't use many, but I told the men we will all wash our own dishes and they are ok with that. But sometimes I wash theirs and sometimes they wash mine so it works out ok. That's the way my son and I do the laundry too.

So glad your colonoscopy went well Glynne. When will you hear the results?
Today I got a referral for mine, but so far no appt. They couldn't find my last one ...I know it was 2007 or 2009, so am going to call the hospital tomorrow and see if I can find out. Doubt I can though as the doctor couldn't find it, but I'm pretty sure I had one in 2007 or 2009. Is it every ten years or only five years you're supposed to get one? Sounds like the prep you took was better than what I did last time I took a prep for a scan so hope I get the same treatment. I had no pills or nausea meds just so much to drink.

We spray the yard ...dh does it so don't know what it's called or where he gets it...probably at Lowes or Home Depot. He does it once a year when the weather warms up enough that fleas live. Then the past six months we have been giving her a tablet for them too as when we were at the vet she had a few. It is expensive and after the first one, she fought taking them so we do not intend to buy anymore. Ds found some stick on things he used when he had his own place and there are a few left so if she starts scratching more I will try them. After that I don't know what we will do, but I do not want fleas in my house! We took care of a pit bull that belonged to our son for a while and she lived entirely outside..she got fleas so bad, I think she would have died if I hadn't noticed she'd changed and gotten to to the vet. Don't want that to happen to Halo. Dawn works to prevent fleas? Is there nothing that dishwashing soap can't do? Good to know. I recently bought her some shampoo with oatmeal and baking soda in it for odor control, but may alternate with Dawn now. Son is taking her camping this weekend...hope she doesn't come back with fleas or ticks. She has been sick on the carpet three times recently. We think she got into people food with the first two but today it just looked like dog food. She doesn't act sick otherwise really although when I think about it, maybe a little less active. I sure hope there is nothing bad wrong with her.

I washed a load of "white" T-shirts today and they all came out about as dingy as they went in. I didn't soak them in vinegar this time but last time it didn't make much difference. The tags on some say no bleach. One if very expensive (gift). So had dh pick up some Oxiclean...I haven't used it in years but thought I'd try it so, they are soaking in it now. Dh thinks we need a new washer, but I think most of our clothes come out clean. It's just his T-shirts as far as I've noticed. Sometimes stains on my tops don't come out now that I think about it so maybe he's right I don't know. Anyway I'm trying the Oxiclean first. This w/d set was given to us by friends...it was almost new as their kids bought them a newer and better set I guess. I hate to get rid of it while it still works... But that's just me.

Well need to check on those T-shirts and wash them. You all have a good sleep tonight!
Old 05-29-2015, 10:58 AM   #396  

Mary, I like the Frontline and there is another similar product available. I don't know which one is less expensive. You get these little packets that contain liquid. You cut the tip and apply the liquid to the dog's neck/back area, right behind the head. We have always had a hard time getting our dogs to take pills.

I have never had a dishwasher. We have always washed by hand and it doesn't bother me, probably because I don't know any different. We only use styrofoam plates and disposable cups when we have a cook-out.

On holidays, others pitch in, but I really prefer to do it my way. DH usually does the pots and pans.

My step-son had a dishwasher in his first house, but it was small and their dinner plates didn't fit in it. Their new house has 2 kitchens, but neither has a dishwasher. They didn't say, but I don't think they knew that until afer they moved in. There is just the 3 of them so it's not a big problem. Also, they do a lot of grilling, so not many pots and pans, and when entertaining, others pitch in, so I guess they are making it work. I think if they ever decided to put a dishwasher in they would have room, which I don't have.

Gayle, when I had my colostomy bag, I had to do that prep before the reversal surgery. I literally sat on the toilet the whole time because when I went, it was going through the colostomy bag. I had a book in there with me to read. It was horrible and I was so glad when it was over. DH kept bringing in another glass of the drink and I thought it would never end.

Love2garden, I hope the prep goes easier for you, but you're right, you need to leave the previous day free.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:08 PM   #397  

Had to get up early this am as I am babysitting...all three but the oldest needs to get to school so hope mama gets home soon. I don't even know where her school is.

We just had a load of bark dust delivered so dh will soon be busy shoveling it around the yard. Can't imagine that is very helpful to his spinal stenosis but there is no stopping him.

We use our dishwasher all the time, can't imagine not having one. They sent the wrong part so had to call last night and we think we have now ordered the right one. Since they are not coming until the 8th there is plenty time. Dh thought he got it fixed but it is not working again.

It's a beautiful warm day here. Hope you are all having a good day.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:23 PM   #398  

This evening Rusty took a piece of turkey out of DH's hand. That's a first. He will take it from me, but until now, DH has had to set it on the floor and walk away before Rusty will take it. Also, when he wants to go out in the AM he wants me to hook him up outside. If DH tried to do it he runs and hides under the table. That is definately going to have to change, especially before winter! LOL

Gayle
, I had not had time to try shrinking my pictures but I will try to look at that link tomorrow and see if I can do it and if it will help me post the pics. Thanks!

Mary, DH just informed me that he has no clean socks and I have not been keeping up with the laundry. LOL He knows how to do laundry, plus I still have plenty of clean whites, so maybe he just need to get more socks. Guess I better go gather up the whites to wash.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:43 PM   #399  

Haven't felt so good...my GERD symptoms have been really bad the last three days and esp last night. Didn't go to church this morning but dh did. I also have a lot to do today and don't really feel like doing it.

Funny about your dh's socks, Carol Sue. When we first retired dh decided to do his own laundry. I was making my own laundry soap and he didn't trust it so he would use double the recommended amount. It turned all his T-shirts kind of a yellow/orange and we could could never get it out completely. He was very upset. He also would throw the towels in with his dark clothes (like jeans) and they were getting very dusky looking. So I told him I'd take the laundry back and have been doing it ever since. I don't mind..it's actually a task I enjoy. I'm still having trouble with the white things...no longer using homemade dish soap...but I think he wears them more than one day and he sweats so much when working outside and makes them yellow. Either that or it's the washer. He thinks it's the washer so we may start looking for another soon. I only notice this yellowing in his t-shirts and the pillow cases.

Well, I need to take my bs and eat breakfast. You all have a good Sunday!

ETA: We really like the new bedroom lamps! Esp dh...this morning he said "I love my lamp!" I told him well if people can say they love their laxative (TV commercial) I guess you can love your lamp. LOL

Last edited by maryea; 05-31-2015 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:05 PM   #400  

Mary, I'm glad you both like your new lamps.

DH is not heavy and his legs are rather thin, but he was complaining that his socks were leaving an indentation on his legs. They were Hanes Crew Socks. We looked around and finally bought some diabetes socks in KMart. They are made so they are not tight around the top. They were pretty expensive, but if it got him to quit complaining it was worth it! He still wears some of the Hanes that were left but they are slowly wearing out. One time when we were in Walmart I saw the same diabetic socks and they were cheaper so we will have to get a pack next time we're there. I really prefer not to be doing small loads of laundry as the larger loads are more economical. After DH retired he started doing a lot of things around the house and laundry was one of them. Now that I am retired too, we both do laundry, but he is not allowed to do my shirts and tops. I made some home made laundry soap back when we were all discussing it but DH said he didn't want his clothes washed in it so there was no sense in me using it if I had to do our laundry seperate. The money I would be saving with soap would be wasted with water and running the washer and dryer. That soap I made with Dawn liquid. I still have the stuff I bought to make it with the Fels Naptha soap but haven't done it. I don't understand why DH doesn't want his clothes washed in it. Most men are just glad to have clean clothes. He told me he remembers seeing his mother chipping off pieces of Fels Naptha soap into the washing machine before they had laundry detergent. It would be no different now. I gathered up the whites but he ended up washing them. Then I went down and put them in the dryer. He folded them and put them away. Well, he leaves my things on the bed and I have to put them away.

My weight is up a bit. I think it's because I have not been eating as many vegetables as I normally do. They are so low in calories and fill me up.

On Tuesday I have to go for my annual Echocardiogram. I'm curious to see how that goes because I have been getting more SOB lately and that's a sign that the valves are getting worse. Or it could just be because my weight is up. We'll see. I might get my bloodwork done while I'm there.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:55 PM   #401  
Want to feel better

Good evening GG's,

It has been kind of a rugged ~ emotioinal weekend. Glad it's over.

It started Friday ~ my son's girlfriend's cat was not doing well and she was wrestling with the decision to have to put her to sleep. She had to go to work in the morning, but was getting off early. My son asked me ~ if I wasn't doing anything ~ would I come give him some moral support while he looked after the kitty. When she got home, I took them to the vet, then to her mom's house so she could bury kitty in the back yard there. I got back late, and had supper late, then because I had eaten late, I couldn't sleep very well.

Then yesterday DH and I worked on making a grocery list so we could start this new way of eating. I guess I was irritable because of the emotions of the day before, and I didn't have as much patience as I needed to deal with DH. It felt like he was making things harder than they needed to be. We had planned to shop yesterday, but we weren't even done making the shopping list ~ and I knew the shopping part (with DH) would take hours ~ no way was I up to doing that at that point in the day. Thankfully, he agreed to wait until today. But by the time we were done making the list, my nerves were jangled. I took some things down to my son and visited with him for a while. It was nice to be able to “escape” for a bit ~ and always glad to get to spend with my son. That was kind of a draining time though. DS was feeling bummed and discouraged, hopeless. It makes my heart ache when he feels so glum and I can't fix it. All I can do is pray and hope God will relieve his stress and painful feelings.

The shopping trip today was an all day excersion ~ about 7 hours. We had to go to several stores to get the things on our list. Surprisingly, we found things at Aldi, that we didn't expect to find there. Some we couldn't find at all, which is ok, we have plenty without those. I am pooped ~ and that sciatic pain is really bothering tonight (riding in the car makes it really hurt). But we're done. It is a learning experience. We will try different things and find what we like or don't, and in time will get a better idea of how much we need to buy. I think this time we will find that we bought too much. Oh well, we will learn.

Gotta go first thing in the AM for some fasting blood work. Only 4 more days of school for Maddie. DH has his cardiac cath on Wednesday. Gotta make some things ~ food stuff for this new way of eating. No time for getting into trouble ~ LOL.

Sorry ~ too pooped to tackle personals tonight. Hope you all have had a good weekend and rest well tonight.

Take care
Old 06-01-2015, 08:19 AM   #402  

I'm so sorry to hear that your DS and GF lost their kitty. It's always so hard to lose a pet. It's good that you were there for them, Gayle.

I'm glad to hear that you got what you need to start on your new eating plan. I'm looking forward to hearing how this goes for you. I think you'll like it once you get used to it. We shop at Aldi's a lot. There are certain things we buy there and some things we've tried and didn't like. Their produce is good and the price is right. I tend to buy too much because DH doesn't eat as much vegetables as I do. I've found that for produce, it's best to get to Aldi's early in the day before they run out. I don't really like the produce department at Walmart. Their produces doesn't look that good to me, but I'll get something there if I can't find it anywhere else.

I hope your bloodwork results are good, and the same with Steve's cardiac cath.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:52 PM   #403  
Want to feel better

Good evening GG's,

I was thinking of you Carol Sue ~ as we were purchasing a variety of different (than we have had before) vegetables ~ for starting this new way of eating.

It is a learning experience ~ trying things and learning what we like or don't care to try again. Tried some Kale in a salad last night, but decided to use the rest of it in a recipe for white bean and kale soup I found. Maybe we'll like it better that way.

So far, so good. So much easier to stick with it when we both are eating the same kind of stuff.

It must be some kind of time when people are hitting rocky times in their relationships/friendships. I spent a long time today when my sister called ~ giving her a listening ear while she vented about difficulties with her son and daughter-in-law. They didn't treat her very nicely, and were disrespectful to her. She kind of just mentally shut down for a few days and slept to escape thinking about how bad that made her feel. I felt so bad for her.

Did the same (listening ear) for my daughter this evening when she came by to pick up Maddie on her way home from work. Rocky time with a couple of her friends, and a rocky time with her brother that has gone on for quite a long time. I have no answers ~ just keep praying ~ it makes me sad when people are at odds with each other.

Love2 ~ I think today was the day you were having your colonoscopy ~ hope that went well for you. Let us know how you're doing.

Carol Sue ~ how is Rusty doing? There are 2 Aldis not too far from us. We went to one (it is nearer to the interstate) one time ~ they had a per customer limit on containers of strawberries. So we went to the other one to see if we could get one more. That location didn't have a limit. Maybe the one near the interstate gets more business than the one further down the road. Tomorrow is your echocardiogram ~ let us know how that turns out ~ hope you get good results.

Mary ~ hope you are feeling better ~ that your GERD symptoms are calming down. Sorry you had to miss church. Glad you are liking your lamps.

Hope all is well with you guys.

Last edited by glynne; 06-01-2015 at 10:57 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:02 PM   #404  

My echocardiogram went well but I won't get the results for a couple days. It was hard getting up so early. I had to be there at 7. I think no one else wanted that early appointment so I took it instead of waiting for another opening. I took a nap when I got home and I'm still tired.

Gayle, the Kale and White Bean soup sounds very good! Was that recipe in the book? If so I will look for it. When I put kale in a salad I usually get the baby kale as it is more tender like spinach. If I used the regular kale I have to let it wilt down for a long time. It's really tough.

When I started eating different veggies I googled to find ways to prepare them and tried different recipes until I found one I liked. It will work out well for you.

My step-children rarely tell us what's going on in their lives. Maybe if I was their bio mother they might open up. My step-daughter seems to get on the bad side of the women she works with but we decided it's her and not them, because the same thing happens at ever job she has. She says they talk about her. One girl criticized the way she dresses. Just being catty women.

My step-son never told us he was having marital problems until he told us his first wife wanted a divorce. We suspected she was cheating, but never told him because he wouldn't believe us, and would tell her what we said. We were right, but never told him we knew.

It's hard when your kids are hurting, but when you get older, sometimes it's better if they don't tell you about it.

We have 2 Aldi's, too. One is noticeably cheaper than the other one. The one that is in an economically depressed area has lower prices. It just depends on which way we're going which one we go to.

Rusty is doing good. He is getting along better with DH, which I was hoping for. He had an accident on the floor this morning. I don't think he barked to go out unless we didn't hear him. I hope this isn't going to become a habit. This is the first time this has happened. He's done so good for the 3 weeks we've had him.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:23 PM   #405  
Want to feel better

Carol Sue ~ here is the white bean and kale soup recipe.

White Bean and Kale Soup
Author: Meggan
Serves: 4
Jump-start your healthful eating habits with my easy White Bean and Kale Soup. It only takes 7 ingredients and 30 minutes. Use vegetable broth for an easy vegan option!
Ingredients
2 T. olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 (15 oz.) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
4 c. water
2 c. chicken broth
1 lb. kale, stems removed and torn into 1” pieces
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Instructions
Heat the oil in a 3 quart saucepan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, mash one can of beans in a small bowl. Add mashed beans, water, and chicken broth to the saucepan. Bring to a boil.
Stir in remaining beans (left whole), kale, 1 tsp. salt, and ¼ tsp. pepper. Reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer about 20 minutes, until kale is tender.
Season to taste with additional salt and pepper and serve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg White-Bean-and-Kale-Soup-Culinary-Hill.jpg (34.3 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by glynne; 06-02-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Closed Thread