Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 01:34 PM   #406  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

I found that Kale Bean soup recipe on Pinterest. I find a lot of good ones on there. I thought I might put purple onion in this soup ~ make it colorful. I like to make colorful combinations ~ to me foods are more appetizing when they are colorful.

I also was looking at roasted vegetable recipes on Pinterest and have found some I think I'll try. We have a whole fridge full of stuff to cook up.

It is going good so far.

Got kind of a chuckle last evening. Grandson Corbin came over to borrow some eggs. Worked out well ~ we (on this new way of eating) weren't gonna need them anyway. Anyway, Steve was confessing/sharing with Corbin that he cooked himself up one of those good pizzas he had in the freezer ~ his "last" meal before starting on this way of eating. So, I shared that I had a Popeye's chicken meal and some Ben & Jerry's for my "last" meal. I think Corbin got a kick out of our confessions.

Glad your echocardiogram went well.

Kind of worrying about Mary ~ she had posted last that she hadn't been feeling good. She usually posts every day.

Hope Love2's colonoscopy went well for her.

Don't laugh, but I think all these upsets with people (my son's feeling bummed, my sister and her kids, my daughter and her friends) had to do with the full of the moon. I know at work ~ patients always were acting up every month at that time ~ we dreaded having to work on that night. And my sister has always said that she had her worst fights/troubles with her ex-husband when there was a full moon.

Hope you all are ok.

Take care

Last edited by glynne; 06-02-2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:53 PM   #407  

Height: 5' 2"

Gayle Loved your description of your "last Meal" before going on this new way of eating.

Understand and did similar thing. The night before going thru the intestinal cleansing I at huge amount of my favorite ice cream. Actually sick of it.

Colonoscopy went well, normal, no polyps and good for another 5 years.

Full moon problems? ABSOLUTELY Our daughter worked with Autistic people in a group home years ago and said that the home was always in an uproar on nights of full moon.

Did those terrible rains cause you problems?

Carol Sue Don't forget to let us know when you get your echocardiogram results. Smart to take that early morning appointment, and no wonder a nap was necessary.
I did the same with my testing, 7:00 AM yesterday and came home and went straight to sleep. Relieved it is over, too.

Hi Mary.

Resting my knee. Started the series of shots of lubricant into my bum left knee today. This makes a huge difference for 7 months at a time. I asked how often I can have the series and Dr. H said "We know no time that it can't be repeated as long as you go 6 months between times." WOW!

Last edited by love2garden; 06-02-2015 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:45 PM   #408  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Love2garden, I have been having more swelling and pain than usual in my knee the past couple days. I've been staying off of it most of the time, keeping it propped up and it's now feeling much better. I guess I was on my feet too much lately.

I can remember several "last suppers" before starting a new food plan. LOL Gayle, you just reminded me about Popeye Chicken. They opened one in our area but we don't eat fried chicken much so we never went. They have that 2 piece meal for $1.99 on Tuesdays and I was going to get it to try it out and I forgot. That's 2 Tuesdays in a row that I forgot. I will write it on the calendar for next week. DH would never eat it. He only likes boneless skinless breasts. There is a stand that sells gyros about a block away from Popeyes so DH can get that for himself.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:39 PM   #409  

I'm with your husband, I'd get gyros.

Sorry your having so much pain and swelling in your knee. Propping it up sure helps.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:11 AM   #410  

My knee is back to normal, now. Normal for me. Slight swelling and light occasional pain. Staying off it helped, plus I took a Motrin one day and a Vicodin the next.

My husband wouldn't eat the whole gyro. I know he'd give me some of it. I just don't want to say that I don't like Popeye chicken if I've never had it.

I have never had shots in my knee but I've heard of other people who had it. The doctor wanted to drain the fluid and give me a shot in 2008 when it first started bothering me but I said No, not knowing what it would be like. Now that he did that to my elbow I know that that is not so bad. My elbow is getting a tiny bit swollen and sore again but not like before. I won't do anything about it unless it gets really bad. It's a lot worse to have your knee swollen and sore because then you can't walk on it. If I watch the way I hold my elbow it's OK.

It was so cold out the past 2 days I had to wear a jacket. It's warming up again today, into the 70s but the next several days are going to be off and on rainy. We need the rain so we don't have to water the plants. My nieghbor used to say "I plant them, it's God's job to water them."
Old 06-03-2015, 10:10 AM   #411  
Want to feel better

Good morning GG's,

At the hospital with DH - he is having the heart cath today. Praying it goes well. I feel bad, DH did not want for our son to know. DS is a worrier to the extreme, so I think DH was trying to spare him that stress. Wish DS could get his worrying/anxiety under control.

Hope you all are having a nice day.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:36 AM   #412  

I hope all goes well for DH, Gayle. When we go for things like that we never tell the kids ahead of time. No reason to worry them until there's actually something to worry about. Worrying doesn't solve anything.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:40 PM   #413  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

I haven't been here in ages.... love this chatty format. It reminds me of us long ago!

Carol Sue - how goes your battle? Gayle - hola! Mary - I was checking on you since I haven't seen you on FB for so long.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:18 AM   #414  
Homeschool Consultant

S/C/G: 335/273/150

Height: 5' 6"

Carole, I never had much luck with getting injections in my knee. I have heard some people find pain relief in them. For me, I was only pain free for 2-3 days (not worth it for me so I opt out of getting them) .

With all this talk of last meals before going on a meal plan, I can't remember what it was a had. I can tell you what I miss since going gluten free in July 2014 (I was diagnosed with Celiac disease), I miss Kentucky fried chicken and their biscuits. Nothing at KFC is gluten free so I don't dwell on it.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:04 AM   #415  

Hi Donna. Long time no see. How are you doing?

Blue meets green - I got an injection in my elbow about a month ago and it helped but I've been having a bit of pain lately. The doctor said it could return. So far my knee is doing well and I'm not going to do anything right now. Why make things worse?

I don't know much about Gluten-free. What makes KFC not gluten free? The coating on the chicken?
Old 06-04-2015, 05:43 PM   #416  

Welcome Donna. I came here about 8 or 9 months ago.

Blue meets green The shots I'm getting are to help form a cushion between upper and lower leg and is a "lubricant type" It fills a sack that is already in position. Giving the needle hole a chance to close is probably the reason the doctor told me to rest the day I got shot 1 of series of 3.

I'm trying to walk more this month in hopes I can build up strength and lung power as well as pushing for more calories burned.

Using the South Beach Diet, too. We'll see.

Gayle, how did DH's testing go?
Old 06-04-2015, 07:50 PM   #417  
Want to feel better

Good afternoon GG's,

Long tiring day yesterday ~ the heart cath for DH. They knew he had a blockage, but didn't know how much of one. He was hoping not to have to have the stent placement, but they said if it was greater than (can't remember the number) a certain percent, they would need to place it.

When the got in there ~ they said it was between 95 – 99% blocked. Scary. So, they placed the stent. It was only one major heart artery that had a blockage thankfully.

He started his recovery there in the cath lab, then moved him to the observation floor. He had to stay for 6 hours, then if everything was ok, they would let him go home. The nurse said that it was a good thing that it was found and fixed now ~ that with that amount of blockage, he was headed for a major heart attack that could have ended badly.

After it was all over, I felt thankful and like crying all at the same time ~ for how close we could have been to something really bad happening.

He had some lunch (wanted me to feed him ~ said that was his perk for the day ~ LOL) then napped for a while.

This morning, he said he was doing ok. But that he isn't back to feeling like his regular self yet. Perhaps thinking about how close he was to something really bad happening kind of shook him up.

Today was the last day of school here. Maddie only had ½ a day. They had a picnic outside and parents/grandparents were invited, so we went to that.

Sara stopped by and spent a while here this afternoon ~ always enjoy getting to visit with her.

Hope you all have had a nice day.
Good afternoon GG's,

Long tiring day yesterday ~ the heart cath for DH. They knew he had a blockage, but didn't know how much of one. He was hoping not to have to have the stent placement, but they said if it was greater than (can't remember the number) a certain percent, they would need to place it.

When the got in there ~ they said it was between 95 – 99% blocked. Scary. So, they placed the stent. It was only one major heart artery that had a blockage thankfully.

He started his recovery there in the cath lab, then moved him to the observation floor. He had to stay for 6 hours, then if everything was ok, they would let him go home. The nurse said that it was a good thing that it was found and fixed now ~ that with that amount of blockage, he was headed for a major heart attack that could have ended badly.

After it was all over, I felt thankful and like crying all at the same time ~ for how close we could have been to something really bad happening.

He had some lunch (wanted me to feed him ~ said that was his perk for the day ~ LOL) then napped for a while.

This morning, he said he was doing ok. But that he isn't back to feeling like his regular self yet. Perhaps thinking about how close he was to something really bad happening kind of shook him up.

Today was the last day of school here. Maddie only had ½ a day. They had a picnic outside and parents/grandparents were invited, so we went to that.

Sara stopped by and spent a while here this afternoon ~ always enjoy getting to visit with her.

Hope you all have had a nice day.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:11 AM   #418  

Gayle, I'm sorry to hear that DH needed a stent, but I'm glad that they caught it before it caused a heart attack. Did he have any symptoms? When I have an artery blocked that much I get shortness of breath and fatigue. The symptoms are very different for women than for men, and I know DH tries to ignore symptoms and just toughen up.

I'm glad to hear you had some time to spend with Sara. Enjoy your time with Maddie, she will be grown up before you know it!
Old 06-05-2015, 10:21 AM   #419  
Want to feel better

Good morning GG's,

A nice sunny day today. First day of summer vacation for Maddie ~ so we have her all day every day now.

I was thinking of you yesterday Carol Sue when making roasted vegetables. It was my first time. It filled up a whole baking pan and I sent my daughter a text and told her ~ stop by later and take a taste. After they were cooked though, they had shrizzled up and it didn't look like as much as when I started. I ate about 1/3 and DH had about 2/3. There were none left for DD to try ~ LOL. They were good. I expected them to be kind of crunchy and was kind of surprised when they were sort of limp. But they were good anyway.

We started that Eat to Live way of eating on Sunday. I am spending more time than I thought I would cutting up stuff and all. But maybe that is because I am trying some of the recipes. I made a recipe for White bean and kale soup. We tried the kale in a salad and didn't care for it as much that way, so I was looking for a recipe to use the rest of it up, and found that soup recipe. We liked that too.

I have started to lose weight. I was worried that I would be eating too much fruit and that it might affect my blood sugars, but my fasting one this morning was one of the best I have had ~ 81.

My labs after my dr visit the other day were good (hadn't started this diet yet) Dr said my liver and kidney function were fine, my cholesterol was good and my A1C was 6.1 ~ back down in the pre diabetic range ~ woo hoo!!!

Guess I'd better get off here for now ~ Maddie will probably be wanting me to do something here soon.

Hope you all have a good day. Hopefully maybe I can get back here later.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:38 AM   #420  

Gayle Great Blood sugar 81 wow. Your lab tests to be back down in pre diabetic range is such a relief.

Your Husband's stent is truly a blessing of prevention of real trouble or worse. Hopefully he will get over the scare that he was bound to experience, and I can certainly imagine how you felt.

Carol Sue You are very quiet - are you doing OK?

I'm exhausted from long days away from home this week, medical procedures and too much "have to do" items. DH is taking car to get checked and I get to stay home, finally. Plenty to do just absolutely no energy to do it. Don't get like this often.

Scale is friendly, and once again I passed up unhealthy eating and chose well. Seems to be getting easier.
Closed Thread