Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #76  

Height: 5'3"

We were busy yesterday with doctor visits. The doctor thinks my shoulder/arm pain is bursitis and told me to take Ibuprophen more often. However he did send me for an X-ray which showed there is no fracture or dislocation..I didn't think there was. I reviewed info on bursitis and it sounds like what I have. I do think it is getting better just very slowly (started Dec 7). The night before I went to the doc I had a dizzy spell...thought I was going to black out for a sec but I didn't. It was scary though and my bp was a little high, so told doc about that too and he said my bp has been creeping up last few visits so he put me on a second med...a water pill. I thought, LOL, just what I need when I have to run to the bathroom all the time already...but so far I can't tell much difference. I've taken it twice. My bp was ok last night. Dh was also put on another bp med. We are building a pharmacy...I remember how much medication my dad used to have...he'd develop allergies but he'd keep the bottles of pills so he still had those besides what he was actually taking! At least I would throw them away!

I'm reading two books right now. Storm Prey by John Sandford and Delirious which is about being on the road with a Christian music group. So about as opposite as you can get. I just finished Bono, the story about the two kids...do any of you remember Charlie Starkweather and his girlfriend Caril? He was about 19 and she was 14 and he murdered about 13 people. I think it was in the later 50s? At first he said she had nothing to do with the murders and then later changed and said she was part of it all but she has always maintained her innocence. He was executed and she was in prison for 18 years and then paroled. This book is about her lawyer and her fight to get paroled. It really makes a good case for her innocence. I also have finished a few other fast read books recently on marriage, organizing and sweepstaking. I read mostly when I'm on the bike at the gym and while watching TV. LOL I'm a great multi-tasker...I watch TV, read, and play DiceBuddy (the last two on my iPad) all at the same time.

Today we went to the gym, then to Costco, then New Seasons. I bought The Sak bag at Costco. I think I like it..will be nice for spring. Speaking of spring, it seems to almost be here...it is another beautiful day! Right now, dh is planting three roses.

Glynne - Sorry for what your family is going through with the divorce and his family. Sounds terrible! Hope it all works out well.

Donna - So glad your hip is better! Pain is such a downer.

Karen3 - My kids rarely admit mom was right. They usually just act like they thought of it on their own when they finally decide to do something I've suggested. And it's esp strange because I often take their advice on something and go out of my way to make sure I tell them I'm thankful for it.
But then I have my childish ways too...see below.

Rosey - I want to be like you and be able to drink ONE mocha a day. Why do I feel like I have to have more of anything I really like...guess it's my inner child that I can't quite turn down.

Last edited by maryea; 03-08-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Hi all....DD is home this afternoon. Exhausted and hurting from the hour ride home. Very grateful that she is ok.

Bobbi...My DH would probably eat dog poo if it was wrapped in apple. I am going make that apple in a mug tomorrow for him. Checked my secret stash drawer and the red hots are gone. I use them to make spiced apples. I can see a refrig with mugs stuffed in.

I'll be back tomorrow to do personals.....k3
Old 03-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #78  
Sandee

Height: 5' 2"

Hi girls

I met my son after work today to take back his 2 yr old, we live 1 hr from his family so I take baby for 1 week every 2 mo. I adore him but the little guy eats allll day long & so grammy ends up grazing through the day & my jeans r tight, sooo looks like grammy will b avoiding snacks after 7pm & watching my portion sizes for a few weeks

Bobbi, your food logs r giving me many yummy ideas for meals TY. I have diverticulosis & not supposed to eat seeds & want to try the Chia; do U think the Chia plant/sproutsr beneficial too? My dh laughed when I said I might buy a Chia plant & asked me which clay head I wanted the Easter bunny to bring me

Dee, TY for the coconut water info, it would b good to have handy in the car in the summer to prevent dehydration which I had once when on a 25 mile bike ride & the 2 bottles of water weren't enough. Could I add something to add flavor or would that wreck the potassium? Please take care of yourself, while your taking care of your parents, so U stay healthy

Karen31, hi my pc is running slow so please tell what the youtube video is about & maybe I'll try watching it on my KindleFire.

glynne, I'm so very sorry about the cruelty that your DD's ex-family is causing you'all Obviously they don't know what it means to live w God's Grace.

Jess, I remember years ago Martha Stewart said she drinks pickle juice daily & also 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in the morning but I don't know why. Do U have this thread bookmarked, I have a folder of daily-sites I visit.

Cajun, when the kids r gone we really don't have a empty nest; because we do many helpful things w them. The boys say they respect & appreciate us more than ever, since they r on their own. It's sooo nice when they phone us to just chat & see how mom & dad r doing or they come bye to help us without being asked.

Mary, sorry about the all health probs. I get sciatic nerve pains in my right leg/hip for unknown reasons, maybe 2 x year to 2 x daily What's the name of your sweepstakes book, do U think it'll help U win

It's very nice getting to know you'all as U post here

Here's a couple of healthy spreads I like
Sweet Pea 'Hummus'
Ingredients:
1 cup sweet peas, cooked in boiling salted water for 2 minutes then strained and cooled on a baking tray in the refrigerator
1 clove garlic
1 half of an avocado
8 fresh mint leaves
juice of 1 lemon
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
In a food processor puree everything together and season to taste with salt and fresh ground black pepper.

Spinach-Walnut 'Pesto'
Ingredients:
1/4 cup walnuts, toasted
3 cups fresh spinach leaves
1 cup fresh basil leaves
1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
1/2 cup EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Directions:
Place walnuts, spinach, basil, garlic, salt and pepper in a food processor. Pulse until it forms a paste. Drizzle in EVOO slowly until the mixture is all combined and makes loose paste.

Last edited by miniDoodles; 03-08-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #79  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Gayle sending you BIG HUGS from MO!! I'm so sorry that you are going through all this with your DD. Just hold your head high and give her support and know that you will be better for it. I don't know why people have to be so mean when things like this happen.. Take care of you!

Dee Dee- the video is an 88 year old lady dancing and having just a really good time!! Just a wonderful video to watch.

Karen-- glad to hear that your daughter is doing so well.

Donna- How are things going with you?

Spent the day getting a hair cut and then worked on my Aunts Computer for a little bit this afternoon. Went over to a company that does sunrooms and talked to them about our ideas.. they will get a quote for us but I imagine we will do most of the work ourselves. That should save some and be more the way we want it.

Bobbi-- glad to hear you haven't froze there! Any bites on the house? Maybe as people start getting their taxes back and the weather starts getting nicer things will start to move again.

Well, think I'm going to get busy and do nothing tonight--- I know I did that last night but I didn't get finished.....

Have a good night
Old 03-08-2013, 11:14 PM   #80  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen31 View Post
Well, think I'm going to get busy and do nothing tonight--- I know I did that last night but I didn't get finished.....
Love it CK
Old 03-09-2013, 01:48 AM   #81  

Hi everyone and happy weekend. This morning i hugged my grandson goodbye,hes such a fine young man and ready to fly on his own. i felt special that he wanted to spend some time with us. after he left we got a call that steves mom was being transported to the er. so away we went and spent hrs with her there. they found nothing wrong with her,but she has been fainting on the pot and its something that does happen to the elderly. its hard to see the downward spiral that she is in. we got her settled back in her place and headed home. its exhausting to see her like that and to be there sooo long im so sorry for the troubles some of us are having so for you all and for your success's. im just to pooped for personal. ttfn rosey

breakfast
coffee

lunch
1 cookie
and coffee at the er

dinner
small salad
1 slice of cold pizza

snack
coffee mocha ((((ahhh love it,its like an addiction )
Old 03-09-2013, 07:26 AM   #82  

S/C/G: 230/170/125

Height: 5' 1"

Default Good Morning Everyone!! I love the closeness of this

group!!! I enjoy reading through and can't wait to be a real part of it!
I will get so I remember who is who and which scenario goes with whom.
The divorce battle and child custody....oh my BTDT with my grands....long story but I look forward to offering support there.
Bobbi....I need to get me some of those chia seeds....anything to fill the gut! LOL! Seems like I am always looking for something to snack on.
So this weekend....my goal is putting on the breaks on amounts I eat at a time.....I do need to develop a routine (times) when I eat....I am going to do the 6 small meals this weekend and see if I can't arrest this constant grazing and add water vs Diet Mt Dew!
My walks are on hold due to asthma attacks. Have problems in the Spring with seasonal allergies and asthma makes it worse.....but I am not one to be held down so I may be out there by Sunday! LOL!
Enjoy you day ladies!
Shar
Old 03-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #83  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Morning...it's raining today and the snow will melt hopefully. My DD had to travel to Minneapolis airport last night in this crappy weather to pick up 14 year old son and ex-hubby from vacationing in Bahamas. Glad he's safely home now, granny here worries when he's abroad.
No prospects on our home yet, we lower the price last week. Still haven't found anything we like if our house sells.
Pickle juice is going to be my go-to next time I have those awful cramps. I do have some canned coconut water in the pantry, I wonder why that works too. Thanks girls!
As to the Hungry girl cook-book, I was going to list it on ebay since I don't like it but too many are already on it. I'll save it for a rummage sale this summer. I only found a few recipes I like, the desserts have store bought pudding mixes and I don't buy them. Pudding is so easy to make myself using stevia, egg beaters, etc.
Chia seeds, no don't buy the head where you grow them.. You can buy a whole container of them and you just sprinkle them over your foods. They are tasteless, I mix mine into the breakfast packets I make for the whole week. (30 grams of Fiber One, 1 Tablespoon ground Flax, 1 teaspoon chia seeds.) I put this into snack size zip bag, then dump on packetinto morning bowl with homemade yogurt and 4 oz. applesauce. I use applesauce because I have lots of apple trees and frozen apples, applesauce, apple chunks, etc. I learned a new recipe for veggies sweet and sour soup that uses apples in it, a great way to use up the apples.
Yesterdays menu:

Quote:
Breakfast:
Fiber One, Flax & Chia seeds
Applesauce with cinnamon/Splenda
Yogurt

Lunch:
Gingered Pineapple skinny shake

Supper:
Baked Chicken, butternut squash casserole made with applesauce
and crunchy topping. To die for but a few more calories than I like.

Evening snack:
Carob pudding with sf/ff cool whip

Bedtime snack:
Sunflower seeds
Quote:
Crock-Pot Pineapple Angle Food Cake

Ingredients

1 20 oz Can of Pineapple Chunks or Pieces
1 Angel Food Cake Mix, dry
Instructions
  1. In a bowl, mix dry cake mix and pineapple (juice and all).
  2. Add mix to a well greased crock-pot.
  3. Cook on high for 2 hours.
  4. Serve.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #84  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All...

SNOWING! The WF are predicting 8-12 for the metro area. Since they haven't been right in 4 years, I'm not overly concerned. It doesn't matter, anyway, since I have plenty of food and a gas stove! It's pretty outside, with big, fat, flakes!

Gayle - I'm so sorry the SIL is being a jerk, but you knew that was coming! He's been a jerk before and won the battle; it sounds like he can hardly stand that your DD is standing firm! Good luck to you all!

Thanks for asking (you're so good about that!)... and, yes, I got through the first week of the new schedule just fine. I just went to bed when I was tired, which meant VERY early nights all week! I have 5 interviews set up for the boss to conduct on Monday, and I hope she picks a good one (my choice would be nice!). Whatever she wants is what will happen...

KarenFL - good thoughts for your daughter. Keep us posted. The poor baby will be hurting for a while!

Dee - how are things with your mom? Stay in touch... it helps to vent!

MiniDee - thanks for the recipes!

Rosey - I'm glad you had such a nice time with your g'son! He sounds like a love! How's Steve feeling? If you can convince your MIL to remember to sit up straight while she's on the pot, instead of leaning over, she won't be stimulating that vagus nerve and maybe won't be passing out.

Shar
- the chia seeds are wee tiny things, not something that you can snack on, like sunflower seeds. They're full of good vitamins, potassium, omegas... Google if you want to learn more! Good stuff!

CK - did you get that gorking completed? LOL

Nothing to report. I was in bed by 9 and slept like a babe. I don't think I even got up in the middle of the night. My middle name is "Fun", BTW. Sigh...

Everyone, have a good Saturday! I'm so looking forward to being snowed in!!!

Bobbi - we were posting at the same time. I agree with you about the Hungry Girl cookbook, didn't like it! Your menus sound SO good all the time, and I'm just fascinated that you have such good food and such low calories! You put a lot of thought into this! Good luck on the real estate endeavors!

I'll be interested to hear if the pickle juice works for you. It's never failed me.

Later, lovelies!

Last edited by jess1; 03-09-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #85  

Height: 5'3"

Good morning everyone! Not much to talk about this morning. Got a decent sleep and was just starting to get things done when dd called and asked us to meet her and the kiddos at an ice cream place. Yeah I need that esp since my weight was up this morning. But wanted to spend some time with them so we said yes. She's been wanting to share this salty ice cream with me. She's not a real big ice cream eater but she likes this kind. I tasted some in CA so I'm sure I'll like it....I've never met ice cream I didn't like. I will try to keep it a small serving though.

I sorta feel like I'm falling apart recently. My BP is up, so far the water pill hasn't helped...haven't lost any weight (I thought you lost weight with a water pill!), I start to get back on track, then I mess up, my priorities have been really screwed up, my weight is up, I really need to get back on track.
My arm really hurt last night but this morning hasn't been bad, it tends to get worse during the day though so I started early with the ibuprofen as doc recommended. Funny I'm rarely sick but I do have a lot of aches and pains. I've been having pain in the back of my neck and am wondering if it's the new pillow. I hope not cause I think it's been about 30 days and I've thrown away the receipt. Anyway I hope I get myself straightened out soon...I don't like going into my 70s like this!

Donna - You have snow? So sorry as it's like spring here, even better than many days we get in the spring.

Rosey - Sorry to hear about your mil. It's sad to watch these things happen to people and I know it is exhausting to have to be the ones to try to take care of them even though you are glad to be there for them too.

Minidoodles - I think the books was something like How to win (or make?) money with sweepstakes. The author's last name was Louis I think. It was more for beginners and I've been entering sweeps a long time. I haven't had enough time to enter much lately though. I have that sciatica pain off and on too, but not as bad since I learned to stretch my hip. I lay on my back and draw one leg up (knee up) at a time and pull it firmly to the opposite site and hold the stretch for a while. As soon as I begin to notice the pain I start doing it ever now and then and it has helped me to prevent bad pain like i used to have.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #86  
MaryGee

Morning everyone -- nice and sunny here and I feel good today!! My computer is ticking me off though -- my cursor keeps moving around as I'm typing -- I'll be typing along and next thing I know the cursor is three words back.... the "cursor" is appropriately named -- $*(&Q^&Q)Q!A#*$%A#

Lots of snow yesterday - DD called last night--she ended up in a snow bank while dropping her daughter off at day care, then another car almost ran into her as she was hiking up the hill to the day care, then a plow truck got stuck right behind her. Police came and the officer got her out of the snow bank. Took her two hours to get to work and it usually takers her 30 minutes. She's a good driver, but was really shook up. And of course when she got home from work her driveway was plowed in from the street plowing. Not a good day for her! I'm jealous of all of you ladies who are planting flowers, etc.

My back and leg are acting up - I'm eating Ibuprofen on top of my regular pain meds. (Thankfully medicines don't have any calories or I'd be in trouble!)

I've started to journal again - I think it helps me more than entering it on the computer. I tend to review the journal more and it makes me take note of when I'm eating because besides entering the food, I make note of the time I eat and how I'm feeling, etc.

I'm supposed to see a dietician next week because of my heart disease. Also for the first time my cholesterol is slightly higher than it should be. I hope to get some good info other than "pyramid" eating. Like instead of "eat vegetables" I want to know which vegetables. Also I see so many people posting about different "seeds" (chia, flax, etc) - I don't know what they are and how to use them, and again, why? I feel like some health providers, etc. just read it from the book and pass it on...I'm looking for providers to get to know ME and tell me what I need. That's why I changed PCPs - to my old PCP I was just a number - my new doctor takes the time to talk to me and is getting to know me.

Well, time to go for now -- my prayers go out to those of you who are struggling with difficult issues. Our families are so important to us and all want the best for them -- It takes a lot of strength from us - but it also makes us stronger -- and we feel better knowing we're giving them our love and support (even though we sometimes feel like pulling our hair out!)

MaryGee
Old 03-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #87  

A nice quiet day,just what i needed rosey

breakfast
coffee

lunch
1 small blueberry pancake with sf syrup
1 egg

snack
coffee mocha
celery and carrot sticks with ranch lite dressing
6 pretzels (yes i count them )

dinner
small green salad
1 c spaghetti cassarole
Old 03-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #88  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Mary ~ I am interested in that stretch you do for your hip/sciatic pain. I have a terrible time with that. I am having a hard time to envision exactly how you do it. Is there somewhere where you could point me to a picture that shows what it is that you do? I have seen some pictures, but they are hard for me to do because I can't bend my knee like the picture shows. Maybe your stretch is something a little different than what I have seen previously.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #89  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Happy Sunday!
yesterday's menu

Quote:
Breakfast:
Fiber One, Flax & Chia seeds
Applesauce with cinnamon/Splenda
Yogurt

Lunch:
Sweet & Sour Apple Cabbage soup

Supper:
Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
romaine,kale and mustard greens salad, raspberry vinaigrette
left-over squash casserole

Evening snack:
Carob pudding with sf/ff cool whip

Bedtime snack:
Popcorn
Old 03-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #90  

S/C/G: 230/170/125

Height: 5' 1"

Default Grandkids have gone home....so quiet!

PHEW!!! Though they wore me out...lol....well the little boy wore me out...but I love them to the moon and back and they can wear me out any day! From the moment their mother dropped them off yesterday I never stopped playing with him. We played loads of board games and put floor puzzles together....took them for ice cream....yes I folded....I had mint oreo blizzard.....wasn't anything to write home about. Our dairy queen closes in this town and the owners go to FL for the winter...it is tradition here....like Spring has arrived in this frozen tundra to go get an ice cream when they open. Then they are so expensive it becomes a rare treat the remainder of the summer...lol! Right before they close for the winter they have a big blizzard sale.
I have my new snack....Garbanzo beans....right out of the can...lol.
This am I had an egg white omelet with red/yellow/green peppers and a little shredded cheese melted into it.....went for a 3 mile power walk and now I am having 2 glasses of water and a half cup of garbanzo beans...then I am going to work to do some paperwork in my office....then I'll go to the gym for stgrength training and another 3 miles on the treadmill.
Should be a good day!
Will check back with everyone later.
Enjoy your day!
Shar
Closed Thread