Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 09:55 PM   #466  

S/C/G: 177/157/138

Height: 5'6"

todays cals-1595, ex-body sculpt class at the Y. I keep checking my calorie log for a mistake. I guess maybe I actually did a good job today. Work went well too. Even DD seemed better on the phone this evening. She said she "read the eighth grade the riot act" today when they were disrespectful to another teacher that was acting as their test proctor for a music test. I was so proud of her. Believe me they deserve it. Maybe she has hit her stride. Hopefully. That's what we need to do here-hit our stride. Yeah!
Old 08-31-2013, 10:00 AM   #467  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Hi Tera, I'm glad your DD is settling into her job. Once she has command of her classroom, it will be smoother. Great job on the calories. I laughed at the rereading of the log. I did that yesterday and finally found what I forgot. It pushed me to 1361 cals. Not too bad. My elliptical workout was hard yesterday. I felt like I had jelly in my legs - and that was from the moment I put on my shoes. Thursday night I swam a half a mile. I hadn't planned it, I just kept going. That was sort of cool. Today, DH and I are going back over the mountain for more wood (DH miscounted what he needed). So we're going to go for a tandem bike ride over there. It should be beautiful. Sunny and warm, then we'll swim when we get back.
Marie
Old 09-01-2013, 08:12 AM   #468  

Marie, you are a busy woman. Enjoyed the jelly leg comment. With all the exercise those muscles will be in tip top shape soon.

My calories this weekend have been very, very bad. I have reverted to some terrible habits including eating out, buying snack foods and baking. I think the last few months have been a bit too tumultuous for my comfort level. I have been feeding my anxieties but instead of assuaged emotions, I only feel worse for it. The number on the scale continues its relentless climb and my tummy is churning from the assault of unhealthy food. I need to take better care of myself.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #469  
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi Tera, you can do this. You know that comfort food is a temporary comfort and a forever beating on the psyche. You'll get it in control. I know you will.

Yesterday I was at a little over 1700 cals. We biked 23+ miles and I got sick. I mean with about 5 miles left, I just felt awful. We made it back but it was not nice. My stomach was really upset (I rarely ever get nauseous) and I didn't want to eat. The idea of food or water was yucky. I know I wasn't dehydrated as I'd drank about 60 of water. I hadn't planned on that long of ride, it was just so much fun. So I'd had a minimal breakfast. It was in the mid-90s when we finished. I think it was a combo of things that went wrong. DH and I went to the mall and we were by the food court. He said, "You've got to eat something". So I choked down a fruit smoothie. It was within 15 minutes that I started feeling better. That threw off the calls and then we had a small steak for dinner. Between the two... the calls climbed. I'm not sure today is much better and I don't have any exercise other than a mile walk to counteract. Oh well....
Marie
Old 09-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #470  

todays cals-2000, no exerc. Stress continues. DD came home and cried all weekend. Left crying. Nothing I say comforts her. Sigh.

Marie-I had a similar experience hiking once except I was alone at the top of a mountain at the time (small local mountain). I had to call my son to rescue me plus a kind stranger gave me his water and helped down the mountain til we met my son coming the other way. Not fun. Live and learn, right?
Old 09-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #471  

cals-1719, exerc-body sculpt class at the Y and long walk with neighbor. Talked to DD and she went a whole day without crying. I will take that as improvement. I was so glad my neighbor called me to walk. I was very tempted to indulge in more comfort calorie loading after yesterday.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #472  
Lifelong Journey Member

Tera, I'm so sorry your DD is miserable in her job. Just keep telling her that any teaching experience will help in a couple years moving to a place she would actually like. I'm glad you didn't resort to the comfort foods because you are smart. You knew you'd regret that. I give 5 stars for that!!! That had to be scary to be on the mountain top and sick. If I'd pushed, I could have had DH ride the tandem back alone and I could have stopped at one of the rest areas. But I didn't make it clear how sick I'd gotten. That was my fault. But I definitely learned what not to do when I've only eaten 274 cals of simple carbs.

I just heard from a 3FC friend that may join us. WOOTS!!! as Am2 would say. So Darcy, if you're lurking, join us pretty please!

Hmm, my calories. Sunday was 1516, Monday was 1502. Definitely ok with me. Yesterday I was being a non-motivated exerciser. I just didn't want to. So I told myself I couldn't have my morning mocha until I ellipticalled and yoga'ed (Sunday's exercise that I didn't do). So my morning mocha was at about 3:30 pm and my afternoon mocha never got made. At least I finally did it. And then I "swam" a little after. Mostly I paddled around in the pool, chatting with DH but probably moved myself about 1/5 mile. Miniscule when you think about Diane Nyad and her incredible 110 mile swim at age 64. I have a new hero. Holy smokes that was amazing. I can't fathom swimming from Cuba to Florida. I'd told my DH that I'd been pleased I swam 1/2 mile the other day and he said just to do it another 219 times. Ha, never happening. And that would be in my pool. Shark and jellyfish infested waters???? EEKS!!!! She truly is a hero.
Marie
Old 09-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #473  

todays cals-2410, ex walk with neighbor. Getting ready to go out of town tomorrow for a week to visit the family. This will be very, very difficult diet wise. There will be lots of eating out. Oh well. I will just have to try not to go too overboard. It's not like I can take two sizes of clothes with me. Most of my stuff is getting a bit tight already. Anyway, I will probably have plenty of time to check in here. My family does not have much time for me so I will spend most of my time hanging out with my in laws while I occasionally visit my siblings. DH is coming in the middle of next week and then we will just hang with his family. This trip seemed like a great idea when I didn't have a job, now I am not so sure but I will just go and make the best of it. DD is doing better this week which is a relief. She heard they may be adding another "connections" teacher-hopefully. Right now she has nearly 250 students between six band classes.

Marie-Diane is truly amazing. Did you see the cool mask she wore? Love it.

Last edited by TERAPET; 09-05-2013 at 10:36 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #474  
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi Tera! I hope the visit goes well. Too bad you can't cancel because of a new job and the difficulty being good on the diet. I'm glad DD is doing better. That must be a relief.

So how long do you go when you have a craving before giving in? Last weekend I wanted a fresh choc chip cookie. I have done everything to ignore it but we're talking day 7 of craving one (or three). I'm thinking I will need to just give in. Whoever said a craving will go away after 10 minutes clearly hasn't met me. I am going to continue to fight it because those calories add up way too fast.

I've been good since my last post.Wednesday was 1343, Thursday was 1475 and today I'm at 943 (haven't had dinner yet). Exercise is good. At least once a day. And the evil scale is still stuck. May the force of Yoda's light saber fry it to pieces.
Marie
Old 09-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #475  

cals-?, exer-none. As predicted, I have been doing lots of eating out. My tummy hurts! Still, I am enjoying my trip home. My in-laws are treating me like royalty and I am soothed by the lovely sights and sounds of the pastoral scenery that surrounds their home.

I rarely go long before giving in to a craving. However, when I am smart I use a substitute. Chocolate chip cookies would be a real problem for me. Moderation is a stranger to me. So instead, I eat a piece of dark chocolate because it is unlikely I will eat too much of it and it is "weigh" less calories. (pun intended-I couldn't resist)

I am envious of your uber calorie totals. Way to go! The light saber comment made me laugh out loud.

Last edited by TERAPET; 09-09-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #476  
Darcy

S/C/G: 170.6/156.6/150

Height: 5' 7"

Hi Marie and Terapet (and others in the group in lurk or semi-lurk mode)!

I've been following this thread for a while, after Marie invited me to check it out a year ago or so, but then left 3FC for a while. I hopped back on the site a few weeks ago and decided I really need it...just hearing other people's successes (and trials) makes me focus more on what I need to do, and hopefully I'll figure out a road map of my own to get me headed in the right direction on this journey, because burying my head in the sand obviously isn't working. :-)

To get you up to speed on me, here's some background:

My life is crazy busy, and trying to find a schedule for exercise or the time to focus on lifestyle changes food-wise has been my challenge. Just having time to sit and think and plan is a luxury that is elusive. So I'm nowhere near where the two of you are in terms of calorie counting and exercise and all that you do, but I'd LIKE to be like you. You two are rocking the diet and exercise! So maybe that will be my challenge. :-)

I have 3 boys (almost 18, 13, and 10) - the oldest started college last month but is living at home and needs transportation to bus/trolley stops daily. He's also in the marching band and playing at football games, so there are those to go to as well, and he joined symphonic band. So all of his classes are Tues/Thurs all day and then he has marching and symphonic band 5 nights a week (at different times, of course!). He also marched drum and bugle corps this summer, which kept me hopping with drives to rehearsals twice a week (mostly 70-100 miles away, though 2 weeks were here locally), competitions some weekends, etc. Awesome experience for us both (and if you're interested and really bored, they finally made the video link public so I can let you watch what he did LOL). They brought in a martial arts group from China that was pretty amazing to watch, who performed with them (and made me feel incredibly out of shape!)

My middle son just started 8th grade, so he's in middle school, and my youngest started 5th grade, at the elementary school. So pick ups and drop offs are similar for them time-wise, but opposite directions. They both played in the summer basketball league at the rec center all summer, so there were only 2 days a week we were NOT there, thanks to practices and games not being on the same days. LOL (They'll play next season, too, but we have a couple months off first thankfully!). Little one is also on school safety patrol, which changes up drop off/pick up times for him, and has jogging club before school 2 days week (LOVE that they implemented that a few years ago and so many kids get up early to do that!). My husband usually does the morning drop off while I sleep, since I work really late.

Then there's me....I do noon duty at the elementary school, supervising the kindergartners at the lunch tables and then up on their playground. Last year we had a huge group of 100 kinders, this year we're at 130...with 2 of us adults to watch them all. This soon in the school year, it's pretty much organized chaos. LOL I also work for 2 different medical transcription companies...one I work for Mon-Thurs days (and evenings if work comes in then), and the other I work Mon-Thurs evenings/nights (some daytime if certain work types are there early). Add in homework help, dinner, etc., and a little work can stretch for several hours. With the 2nd job, I also work every other weekend, Friday-Sunday, and those days are REALLY long...starting mid morning and generally not finishing till 4 or 5 am (partly due to family interruptions, but mostly just work volume). Both of those jobs are from home. I also freelance with a publishing company with a monthly project. Basically, I get 2 days off out of every 14, which is wearing me out...but we do what we have to do, right? :-) Before I had kids, I worked for the Dept. of the Navy as a budget analyst, and graduated college with a horticulture degree.....it's been a strange morphing of professions, but being home with my kids all these years and the flexibility to be at their schools and volunteer has been awesome.

So, if you've made it this far, there's a rundown of the chaos that is my life. On the weight loss/health front...I was kind of doing my own thing a year ago rather than anything specific and it was slowly working, though I felt I was spinning my wheels at times and going nowhere. Then I stalled, and my doctor noticed. I also have borderline blood sugars, though LDL, cholesterol, etc. are good -- but he's really watching and wants LDL down some and blood pressure to stay normal. He said technically if I was classified as diabetic, my parameters are "normal" in that range and he wouldn't treat with medications, but yet I'm not "normal" normal -- so I'm in no-man's land. With everything going on, and not being able to walk/exercise consistently, I hit one of those points where I quit actively doing anything. I'm behind on my appointment with him, and while I subconsciously thought about food choices, etc., I wasn't actively making the best. As a result, I avoided lab draws along with my scale for several months. Recently, I was ready to recommit and I came back to 3FC one night, started reading, and feel like it's time for me to hop on the wagon with you rather than waving to you as it goes by. When I did get brave and get on the scale, I had only gained 1.5 lbs from when I had last weighed in April (though that was up 10 lbs from last January). I was pretty surprised! Weight definitely shifted, though, as pants are tighter. LOL Seeing that I hadn't done TOO much damage was a happy day. So now my goal is to start consciously eating better, finding a way to work in some walks consistently, and to get back into routine medical appointments and lab draws (once my other habits stabilize the blood tests).

I'm hoping to finally figure out calorie counting and have a plan I can work with rather than just winging it like I am now. I'm down 3 lbs but I know I need something more solid and consistent to really make this happen. Looking forward to hanging out with you on this thread! Thanks for letting me be part of it!
Old 09-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #477  
Lifelong Journey Member

YAY!!!! Darcy!!!! Welcome to our little thread. I'm so glad to see you here. I'ms so impressed that you'd only gained a pound since April while coasting along. I coast and gain in ten pound increments. I'm so envious!!! I love how your career has morphed. Mine certainly isn't anywhere near where I started.

Tera, when will you be home. The stuffed tummy sensation has made me be ultra good in the past because there is always a point I stop enjoying all the culinary delicacies. So when I hit that point, that is a good thing.

My cals have been between 1500-1700. DH took the week off from work and is home in the evenings. Hence why I haven't posted. He believes in togetherness time. A wonderful thing but moderation is good. Time to go home but I wanted to post so you didn't think I disappeared. I'll be back tomorrow!
Marie
Old 09-15-2013, 08:59 PM   #478  

todays cals-1800, exerc-walk around the neighborhood. It is nice to be home again. I am afraid to get on the scale after all the yummy food at the family get-togethers and the eating out. Well after my nice break I think I am ready to get serious about eating well and getting back in shape.

Darcy-You are one busy mom! All three of my kids were in marching band including college bands as well. It was a lot of fun. I am so glad you are joining us here.

Marie-More good calorie totals. Good for you!
Old 09-16-2013, 10:29 PM   #479  

todays cals-2110, exerc-step class at the Y. Trying to ease back into eating better. At least no eating out.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:33 PM   #480  
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi Tera, glad you're back. I do not envy you a step class. My knees hurt just thinking about it.

I'm at mid-1300 for cals today. Yesterday was about the same. Sunday and Saturday - - eeks I don't think I can count that high. Actually that's not true that it was ridiculous over indulged but I didn't like the totals. But I did eat the food and that's my fault. Exercise was biking today, yoga on Monday and being a slug on the weekend.
Marie
Closed Thread