Old 10-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #91  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Hello Anna - A friend of mine has hypoglycemia and after she was tested and diagnosed, they told her to only eat sugar with other foods. In other words, if she wants dessert after dinner, that's ok, but do not eat it alone. She has been fine ever since she started doing that. I am type 2 diabetic and I take Metformin and I never have a low reading. Just the opposite. I have been told that Metformin keeps you from having low readings. I was diagnosed in 2008 and the lowest reading I ever had was in the 80's. I struggle to keep my reading from going too high.

We're glad to have you here and hope you stick around and post with us.

I too drink Diet Coke. I have cut back on how much I drink, but not given it up altogether. It does not increase my appetite. In fact, if I have a coke, it takes away my desire to eat something. I don't go overboard, but I will not give it up altogether.

Izzy - We only had a lot of rain and wind, but now there is no sign the storm was even here, except everything is wet. I found out that the reason we were predicted to have a big problem was because of the combination of the noreaster coming up from the south meeting Sandy coming from the east, but that problem caused all that snow in W Va and never reached us. I am glad, but I do feel bad for all the people who had so much devastation from these storms. It's awful!

Andi - I heard some of the snow reached Ohio. Did you get it in your area?

Mom 2 3 - I never give a thought to the miniscule amounts of sugar that is in foods, like eggs, or deli meats. I never eat deli meats, but I sure do love eggs!
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:50 AM   #92  

To All - I saw a show on TV that said that Pyrex is going to stop making their glass measuring cups, so if you have them, hang on to them. I don't know why they are doing this, or if it's really true. Anyway, the guy who was telling it said that all measuring cups are not accurate. The measurements can be off a bit, which doesn't usually matter with cooking, but does with baking, although when my grandmother baked she just grabbed handfuls of flour and never measured. I looked at my measuring cups and one of them is not Pyrex. It is Anchor Hocking and I don't even know if they're still in business. When I was at the Goodwill store this week I found a 4 cup and a 1 cup Pyrex and I bought them to put them away in case I break mine or if my daughter or daughter-in-law need them. Maybe I'm being silly, but just tell me something is going to go away and I feel the need to stock up! LOL
Old 10-30-2012, 08:30 PM   #93  
Chick Losing

S/C/G: S/C/G 219.6/199.2/172

Height: 5.5"

Hi Carol Sue
Glad to hear that you are ok and great advise for Anna. It helped me grately
and about the pyrex thanks for letting everyone know. I will keep my eyes open. I have always been a fan of pyrex.

izzy
BCL216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #94  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCL216 View Post
Hi Carol Sue
Glad to hear that you are ok and great advise for Anna. It helped me grately
and about the pyrex thanks for letting everyone know. I will keep my eyes open. I have always been a fan of pyrex.

izzy
Izzy - I did a search and I think I found the site with the information on Pyrex that they were talking about on the Tv Show. They are replacing the cups with a cone shaped cup that is supposed to be better.???? Anyway, you can read it here. They said the original cups are almost unbreakable. I had one a long time ago, I'm not sure if it was Pyrex or some other company, but I hit it on the edge of the sink and it broke off part of the pour spout. That was a safety hazard so I threw it away. But they are such heavy glass they would be very hard to break.

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/e...hp?docid=28172

Click where it says (more) for the whole story.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 10-30-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:50 PM   #95  
Chick Losing

Have a great Day!

izzy
Old 10-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #96  
Chick Losing

Thanks Carol Sue,
I will check it out.

Izzy
Old 10-31-2012, 08:58 AM   #97  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

Hi Ladies,

We had a little snow yesterday but a lot of wind and rain in SW Ohio.

I keep talking about staying strictly on the BFC plan but if I'm bored in the evenings I give in to eating the wrong things. When I stay on the plan I feel great and lose weight - so what's my problem??? Actually I know what it is - all that %$#$^ Halloween candy in the house! (BTW they posponed Beggar's Night here to Saturday so it will stick around even longer).

Thankfully sugar is not a problem for my body just my weight, but I've been substituting Stevia in coffee and tea and don't mind that a bit. I really do much better when I go into work as I pack healthy BFC breakfast and lunches.

Will try to get in some exercise today but can't walk outside, too wet.

Have a good day!
WebWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:19 AM   #98  

Andi - Beggar's Night. LOL Ours was changed to Saturday, also, at 4-6. Right at our dinner time. I am roasting a chicken and will have it done early so we can eat first. We only get around 10 kids anymore. Most of our neighbors have lived here for years and are seniors, like us. So there's few children. Some are grandchildren visiting. Also, we have steps coming up to our house and a lot of the kids don't want to come up the steps. The houses across the street are level with the street and easier to access. We bought Cracker Jack this year for something different. I hate Cracker Jack, so it's not tempting me. DH also bought a big bag of Twix because he always says the tide could change and we could get a lot of kids. If no, he likes Twix. My 4 year old grandson is coming over to trick or treat in our neighborhood. We will only take him to a few nearby houses. It's more just to show off our grandson. LOL They had their trick or treat last Saturday afternoon. Their community does it Saturday afternoon every year. If it was a warmer night I would sit at the bottom of our steps and pass out the treats, but not in 35 degrees. One of our neighbors opens her garage door and sits in her garage with a space heater. I'm not going to do that, especially because we don't get a steady stream of kids.

Everyone - I had my cardiology appt yesterday. He said my Echocardiogram showed no change. My valve is still stiff, but it hasn't become worse in the last 3 Echos. That's good. He was not too concerned about the palpitations because they only last a second or two. If they continued on and on they would be a concern. He told me to get back to exercising. Go at the 2mph that is the speed where I don't get the palpitations. Try it at 2.1. If I get palpitations, go back to 2mph. Once I can go at 2.1 mph without palpitations, then increase to 2.2. And so on. He said he would rather I exercised at 2 mph than not exercise at all. I feel the same way, but was afraid to continue because I didn't know if it was a serious matter. However, he has ordered a 30 day holter monitor for me. I guess that is as a precautionary measure. I feel better than he is going to do that to be sure. From what I have read online it is going to be a pain in the butt to wear this, but it is preferable to ending up in ICU. They will call me to come in to have it activated.

Have a good weekend, everyone, and if it looks like you're going to have candy left over, start handing it out by the handfuls. LOL When my step children still lived with us, my rule was, the candy was not to be opened until Halloween, and they could only eat what was leftover after trick or treat. Now that they are gone, my husband will not observe that rule. One year we bought candy 3 times because he kept eating it. LOL
Old 11-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #99  

Hi Ladies,

Thank you for your warm welcome. before I forget, has anyone tried the cheese crisps you make in the oven? I made them with the parmasain cheese the recipe suggests and the cheese was just too strong a cheese for me. I am thinking of trying it with chedder cheese, have any of you tried them with other cheeses?

I have given up sugar as sugar goes. Eating it with a protien might work, but it is easier for me just to give it up. Ending up in the ER twice and almost dieing each time was enough to stop.

Anyone find a pasta that is less then 40 carbs per serving?

Thanks for all the help.
Pinkrose4664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:23 AM   #100  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

Happy Monday BFC Chicks!

Welcome Pinkrose :-) Glad to hear you gave up sugar, it's the devil! I've mostly switched to stevia and don't mind it. I have not tried cheese crisps so I can't speak to that, but as far as Pasta, have you tried Miracle Noodles? (Shiritaki noodles). They have zero carbs and zero calories. Not much flavor but they take on the flavor of the sauce or you can put them in soups. Important to rinse the heck out of them before use.

Carol Sue, glad to hear about your health checkup and also glad they will be monitoring your heart for a while. You can't be too careful when it comes to your heart.

I've been hanging in there, but have not lost any more. I now know I'm a night-time stress eater and have to takes steps to stop that. There's a supplement that contains Magnolia Bark that naturally relieves stress and anxiety - I actually have a product call Relora (it's also in Relacore) that I keep forgetting to take in the evening. When I take it I don't do the stress eating so it works. (maybe I need to tie a string around my finger!)

My goal this week is to NOT do the stress eating in the evening and take a Relora about 6:00 pm every night. I'll also try to get to bed earlier.

have a good one!

Andi
WebWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #101  
Chick Losing

Hello Everyone
Don't Forget to Vote Tuesday if you have not already do so.

Ok its good to see everyone posting. Carol Sue I am glad you went to the doctor and that he will be monitoring your heart for a while. I hope that you will be ok, in fact I am sure of it.

Andi, I know what you mean about stress eating. I can't seem to get a hold on it. My emotions have been all over the place. Now with holidays coming and taxes, etc. I will be crazy. I need to lock cabinets & refrig. and find something to keep me busy. We both need to find a way to deal without eating ourself to death.
Pinkrose way to go with giving up sugar,that is wonderful. I have not tried
the cheese crisp but I have found a wonderful sweet potatoe chip. Very little
sugar and salt. I love them. We all must do what we can to stay on track and these little tricks can keep us stay on goal. Ok ladies have a great afternoon.

Hugs
Izzy
Old 11-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #102  
Chick Losing

Hi Everyone,
I am sure everyone is glued to your TV's watching election results. I hope everyone is doing well and having a good evening. I have been off track for a week now and kicking my own but. I will deal with this tomorrow.
Have a good evening.
Izzy
Old 11-09-2012, 08:45 AM   #103  

When I went to bed on Sunday night my heart started fluttering. My heart rate was racing up and down between 67 and 90. I waited for it to stop, but it didn't, so I checked my blood pressure and it was 220/79. DH called an ambulance and I went to the ER. By the time I got there the fluttering had stopped but the BP was still up. They did blood work, EKG, and Xray. While waiting 2 hours for those results my BP gradually went back to normal. The only thing they could find was my Tyroid levels were up. So that's something else I have to follow up with the PCP. They told me to call the cardiologist and tell him about the fluttering, which I did, and I'm going today to get my heart monitor. Since then, I have only had a few slight episodes of the fluttering, and they only lasted a second or two, like before. I am not looking forward to 30 days of wearing that monitor but it's necessary. It's not so much the monitor, but the stickies and wires all over my chest. Inconvenient to say the least.

I am also having women's issues again, but that's another story for another day. AND, my dentist left a message that I'm late for my cleaning. I tell them "Take a number and get in line!" LOL

And on top of all that, I didn't lose any weight this week!
Old 11-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #104  
Chick Losing

Good Morning All,
Hope everyone is doing well and ready fo a nice weekend.
Carol Sue sorry to hear about your Health scare. I know thyroid can cause
fluttering when levels are off, I have had thyroid dease for 30+ years and know how that can be. Please follow your doctors orders and take care of your self. I will be praying for you.

Hugs
Izzy
Old 11-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #105  

I got my heart monitor on Friday and it's not going to be as bad as I thought. It only has 2 leads. The one I saw on the internet had several. When I have an "event" I am to press record and it will back up 50 seconds and record the event. I can hold 3 events on the monitor then I have to "call them in." You call a number and place the mouthpiece of the phone on the monitor and press "send." They will interpret the reading. They incourage calling in each event instead of waiting until you have 3. I have not had any events yet, but I have not been exercising. That's when I expect to have them. I will be doing that on Monday while I watch my soaps. I can make an event happen just by speeding up the treadmill a bit.

I hope everyone else is doing well. I have not been following my eating plan very well, althought I have not gained. There's been too much going on and I've been grabbing things to eat here and there.

Izzy - The nurses in the hospital told me that the thyroid can cause the flutterings, but I thought that was overactive thyroid and they're saying I have underactive. I will call the PCP on Monday and see what he wants me to do. I thought maybe they would call me when the got the info from the hosp, but I guess they don't do that.