Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 11:38 AM   #166  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Lucinda, stay strong in not using recovering as an excuse to eat. I know that is my mantra at the moment.

Luc1313, welcome to the group. I’m pretty sure I hadn’t welcomed you yet. Your DH is a strong one to kick the C’s butt 3 times. And now he’s modeling. How cool is that?

Donna, I don’t believe you. “I'm too tired tonight to even care about getting personal!” You care a bunch. I’m living proof of that. You were just too tired to type. Big difference. I adore you, you know!

Isabella, your DGS is so lucky to have you. The Curious George pizzas look adorable. I cannot imagine paying $100 for a child’s b-day cake. Please take a picture and post it because I can’t fathom how amazing it will have to look for that cost.

Ciecie, welcome to the group. KarenFL’s posts tend to be my nightly entertainment.

KarenMO, I’m so sorry that your FIL passed. You’re in my thoughts.

Mary, if I had your history with the hernia surgeries, I’d go with the odds with your father’s longevity. That sounded horrendous. BTW, DH made his b-day cake yesterday. Since the only homemade cake he knows how to make is my red velvet b-day cake, he made it for himself. I had a tiny, itsy-bitsy piece that I enjoyed. I know the batter was liquid at one point so I figured it fit into the drs requirements. So… basically if my DH can bake a scratch cake, I know you can too.

Rie, wowza on your knee. Since you have a diagnosis from the dr – are you going to follow the directions for recovery? I asked since you mentioned joining the walking challenge. I’ve never watched the Biggest Loser. I couldn’t stomach the premise of the show – making fat people and their struggles entertainment. Nope, never could watch it. Now, Dancing with the Stars I like. The only reality show I will make an effort to watch.

Brenda, I hope there is a simple, easy explanation (and fix) for the unusual pain. You’re in my thoughts.

Rosey, maybe you might want to think about a tablet, net book or iPad instead of a new computer. That could cost less.

JessD, looking forward to your posts this weekend.

Freda, is your treadmill walking helping your back pain? I hope so. It’s funny that you say you’re weird. I always had you pegged as the sane one of the group. That made me giggle.

Bobbi, I have no idea what “pink slime” is but when referenced with ground beef, I think I don’t want to know. I should be safe as I’m not a meat eater. Except turkey. I love turkey. Adore turkey. If the saying is true that you are what you eat, I am a turkey. Hmm, if the shoe sort of fits… And I’ll be on my iPad taking my Words turn when I’m done here.

I have made it through the posts and I did personals. I have my work laptop working – yes I’m working again while I’m here on 3FC and I’m typing on my personal macbook. Personals are so much easier with a laptop than iPad. Toggling between Word and 3FC makes responding so much easier.
Marie
Old 03-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #167  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Just a big hi and goodbye for the weekend. I'm leaving in less than an hour and have to get a shower, do my hair, lock the windows and pick up DH. I'll definitely be taking pictures of that birthday cake.

Karen31, my sincere condolences on the passing of your FIL. It's always hard even when you expect it.

OK, I'm gone. See ya all Sunday or Monday.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #168  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello Friends!

Today I am working from my couch with my knee elevated and my laptop clicking along. I am writing a new policy. (boring ) but it has to be done so today seems like a good day.

Marie, yes, I will follow dr orders but start the challenge this weekend. I can do weight lifting and some strength training as my exercise. It is beautiful and sunny here today and I sure would like to go out for a walk - even a slow one, but I will refrain. I sat out on the back steps with my coffee this morning. You are sounding better every day.

Donna, Marie has you tagged! You are the best. What is on the agenda for your weekend?

Karenmo, thinking of you. The loss of parents is so hard. I am going to call and ask my folks to play cards or something this weekend. I only live 1/4 mile away and I see them often but it seems like the weeks can slip by and we only have the most casual contact. We don't spend enough time together.

Karenfl, it is not 80 degrees here but the sky is that brilliant blue that is created by the high mountain air. I need to get fertilizer on the lawn before it snows again!

Isabella, I am so glad to see the kids enjoying things like the lorax and curious george. So much better than some of the violence and other things with some cartoons. Curious george has such cheer and joy.

Bobbi, some of my friends get frustrated with me on Wordswithfriends because I play so slow. I am lucky if I can get one word done each day. I enjoy it though, and I just keep plugging away. If I would switch to a smartphone it would be much easier.

Freda, too funny on you being "weird". Like Marie, I always thought of you as the sane one of all of us. It makes me feel better that I am not the only one that likes the off-the-wall stuff.

Mary, those hernia surgeries sound horrendous. Who is coming to visit you? enjoy!

Lynn, are you teaching right now or are you on a break?

Rosey, I am thinking of a kindle fire.... If you have a wifi signal, you can play games and stuff.

JessD, looking forward to hearing about your week.... Every time I see your picture I smile.... You look just like my idea of a california girl - something that I have always pleasantly envied

Zoe, I keep thinking I should try black bean stuff even though my experiences with it have not been pleasant. Any suggestions?

Sorry for missing anyone. Back to work. I will be back later.

Rie

Old 03-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #169  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

Hi GG's!

It's been a while, but I've been reading all your posts. Karen31, so sorry to hear about your family's loss. Marie, I'm glad you're on the mend and hope you're back to your active routine soon.

I've been struggling with stress in the late evening that causes me to eat too much (after dinner). I'm looking into magnolia bark supplements that have an anti-stress property to them. They are proported to even help you lose weight if your over-eating is due to stress. The same ingredient is in Relacore. Anyone try either of these products?

Andi
Old 03-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #170  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Karen31 - I'm so sorry to hear that your FIL passed away. May he rest in peace.

Bobbi - The news report I saw on TV mostly was about schools buying the meat with the pink slime to save money. There is only one store in town where I'll buy ground meat. It looks like good meat, where the meat at the other stores has an odd look to it. I used to buy chuck roast when it was on sale and grind it myself. Now that it's just the 2 of us we hardly use any ground meat so I just buy it already ground.

Rie - I hope you knee is ok. Sometimes it seems like just pain at first then down the line you find out there's an injury. Be careful with it.

Maryea - Boy! You really had a time of it with your hernia(s). I never realized it could get that bad. I also know of people who lived out their lives with a hernia and never had a problem. Hopefully you will do the same as your dad.

Freda & Rie - My DIL told me that Hunger Games is a good book, but after I found out it was sci-fi I passed on it. I couldn't get the ebook from the library or I would have given it a chance....free. I'm currently reading Blind Spot by Terri Persons. It is about a female FBI agent who can "see" things about the murder suspect. I didn't think I would like it because I'm just not into books like that, but the mystery is good, and I'm finding that I can't put it down.

I have baked scratch cakes, but don't do it often anymore. Cake mixes have come a long way. My favorite box cake is Betty Crocker Super Moist Chocolate Fudge. My husband who doesn't even LIKE chocolate cake liked it!!
Old 03-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #171  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Hi - trying to catch up on posts. Have to run but just want to say:

Marie - glad your surgery is behind you. Hope you feel better quickly. That CO2 sounds very painful. I never had anything as extensive as you but after my galbladder surgery I found if I laid flat on my back - not even a pillow- for a while the gas seemed to "escape" a little faster. May have all been in my head though.
Karen MO - congratulations on selling your house. Very sorry about your FIL.
And was it Isabella going to DGS third birthday - how cute must that have been!

I've missed all you gals! Hope to write more later.

Last edited by deelee10; 03-09-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #172  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

Karen, so sorry to read about your DH's father's passing. My condolences to you and him and family.

Rie, I am not teaching right now. I am working with the head of the program to organize an Alumni Association. Also, I am revising the course to teach in April (after my cousins' reunion).

Today, I met my DF up in North Jersey and we did a museum day. First we went to a castle built in the 1890's in Patterson, NJ http://www.lambertcastle.com (had lunch in a Middle Eastern restaurant). Then, it was still early, so we drove up to Caldwell, NJ to visit the house where Grover Cleveland was born http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandf...nd/gc_home.htm

Lynn
Old 03-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #173  

S/C/G: 242/150/140

Height: 5'7"

Gosh this thread moves fast! I am also out of time with you all as well, I got to bed and wake up to fine just how busy you all have been.

Karen31, I'm so sorry to hear about Tim's dad. Please give him my condolences. My own Dad passed away in the UK, on the 26th of January this year. I visited in January this year but had to return on the 20th. I would have stayed had I known but the doctors thought it might be another 2 months or so. However he passed peacefully in his sleep 6 days after I returned to NZ. Sadly I was unable to return for the funeral.

Hunger Games. Son says the first one is great but after that the follow on books are formula written and not as good.

What is everybody else reading? I am a bit between books at the moment. last year my new years resolution was to read the Great Books. I started on The Epic of Gilgamesh and moved onto the Greeks, I had just finished the Iliad and was about to start on the Odyssey when we had the big quake. For the next 19 days of the emergency I didn't read anything...the longest i have gone without books in my life....and then i could only read kids books! I read all the kids stuff and them moved onto D.E. Stevenson, Rosamund Pilcher etc. It was all i could cope with! Now though i think i am ready for something else!

Have a great day

Auto
Old 03-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #174  

S/C/G: 280/277/170

Height: 5'7"

Good Evening Chicks,
Everyone seems to get so much more accomplished that I do. I have TB - tired butt- much of the time. I did laundry and managed to get in a cardio session. I am tired this evening.
Does anyone else read Beverly Lewis? She writes about Amish life. I am reading The Thorn now. It is a trilogy, with this being book 1.They are easy reads.
I too gave up on making many scratch cakes. I do make angelfood and Texas cake. But the problem is I eat it too. So I rarely make a cake of any kind. I have absolutely no sense where food is involved.
I weighed today and I have lost 6 pounds this week. Feels good. I am lumping it off in 10 pounds goals. I can't think about 100 pounds all at once.
Better shower and get ready for bed. Everyone have a good weekend.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #175  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Just thought that I would pop in for a minute--- This is me being tired and silly!! Got a lot done still have a lot to do!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Me being tired.jpg (12.3 KB, 13 views)
Old 03-10-2012, 01:30 AM   #176  

Hi everyone. a late post for sure. Had a busy day in town with dh.shopping and a hair cut for him. beautiful day sunny and melty. Marie hope you are cuddled up with the puppers and getting better and babying your self. karen 31 .love the picture,i like being silly too. i had seen an add on tv for a new phild cream cheese called choc indulgence. saw some in the store so wanted to try it omg its so yummy. i dipped fresh strawberries in it. 110 cal for 2T but so worth it. hope you all have a happy weekend rosey

breakfast
coffee
greek yogurt with 1/4 c granola mixed in

lunch
we ate out and split an omelet

snack
coffee mocha

dinner
moose stew

snack
3 lg strawberries
2T choc indulgence
Old 03-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #177  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Happy Week-end everyone.
Auto...Rosamund Pilcher writes good books, it's the only one I've read of those you mentioned. We did start a thread under 50+ on our favorite books if you want to check it out. It hasn't been updated for a long time.
Quote:
Rosamund Pilcher

Yesterday was a lazy day for me, didn't do anything. I didn't get many steps on my pedometer either.
The chuck roast we purchased and ground up for burger turned out really lean. We had some 90% ground beef in the freezer that looked very pale next to the ground chuck roast. All we could think of when looking at it was pink slime. We won't be buying ground burger in the future, we'll buy chuck roast and grind it ourselves.
On that note, think I'll wish you all a great week-end and do something today.
P.S. Marie...good job on the scrabble words! Bruce and I have a running scrabble game set up at all times. We never sit down together to play. I made little folders that fit over the letter racks with our names on them. When I finish my turn I remove my letters and put his in front....then he knows it's his turn. (the folders covers our letters and we don't peak) Sometimes a couple days go by without making a move, sometimes its a few times a day. We're warding off Alzheimer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1215.jpg (34.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1217.jpg (27.4 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Bobbolink; 03-10-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:30 AM   #178  

Clipped from a magazine years ago, and showed up in my "junk box" I was cleaning out.

CELEBRITY

Nobody asked for my autograph
Nobody gave me a prize
My name didn't make any headlines
No writing appeared in the skies
Nobody sent me an orchid
Fireworks didn't begin
But this is the day I heard someone say
"Isn't she getting thin!"

by Margaret Hillert
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
My BIL went to the ER by ambulance yesterday. He is 63, never married, lives alone. He took his SS at 62 and does part-time telemarketing from his home, but has no medical insurance. He has been complaining of medical problems for years but would never go to the DR. Finally, he felt so terrible that he called 911. The EMTs said his blood pressure was 250/110 and took him to the ER. He is so overweight. He literally eats constantly. He always has a bag of cheese curls, or pretzels or corn chips open and just sits and eats all day.....while he works, sitting outside in the evening. All the time. DH says he can hear bags rattling while he's talking to him on the phone. We went to the ER where they were giving him IVs trying to get his blood pressure down. I noticed him putting something in his mouth. I asked him what it was and he said "I stuck some Cheerios in my pocket on the way out the door." In an ambulance!!! He couldn't even go to the ER without making sure he had something to eat with him. I'm surprised he didn't grab a bag of Cheetos to take with him! I don't know how much he weighs, but people who haven't seen him for a while can't believe how big he got. He looks like he's 9 1/2 months pregnant. I am not making fun of him, but just concerned that he has an eating disorder. He also has about 8-10 cans of beer a day, starting right after he finishes his morning coffee. DH's family has a history of not wanting to go to the doctor's until they are so sick they have to be rushed to the ER. I try to get him to go out and walk around his trailer park every day but he won't. He even drives up to the mailbox to get his mail. It would be a nice little walk for him, but he says he doesn't want to have to talk to the other residents of the park who gather at the mailboxes every day waiting for the mail. He is going to end up with one heck of a hospital bill. He said they did some kind of scan of his head, and they were going to do a sonogram of his belly, but I wonder if they will do these tests on a weekend or if he will just lie in bed running up the hospital bill until Monday. I'm also wonder how long he will be there, because he might lose his job if he's not home to make his calls. It doesn't pay a lot, but he really needs it to supplement his social security check, which isn't very much. I just get so angry with him....he didn't want to go to the doctor and get a check up once in a while, probably for fear that they would find something, but it would have been so much better than getting to the point of running up a bill of probably thousands of dollars in the hospital.

Just needed to vent about this to someone who would understand how frustrating it is.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:37 AM   #179  

Bobbi - I saw the entire news report on the pink slime. The name of it makes it sound totally disgusting!!! I can't imagine asking the store if they use it and having them be truthful about it. I don't know if I want to start grinding my own meat again. Maybe this will make DH steer clear of ground beef. He is constantly making hamburgers and Hamburger Helper types of foods. I was never much of a beef eater, and after my surgery, it actually makes me nauseated to even look at it. I am a chicken/turkey/fish eater all the way! So I just have to worry about the bird flu, the sodium pumped into the birds, and the mercury in the fish! LOL
Old 03-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #180  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Carol Sue...love the poem. About your BIL, I think he need a head shrink after he leaves the hospital. I feel very sorry for him, talk about a food addict! Lets hope the doctors can talk some sense in him and put him on a diet.

Here I am fooling around instead of working. But I had to check my emails and this was sent to me this morning.

Quote:
Boost Brain Power to Prevent Memory Loss

You can maintain -- even improve -- your brain power when you hit your prime (45 years and older). We have 3 tips to buoy your brain and prevent memory loss.

Write down what you want to remember. Doing so is a big memory boost and helps prevent Alzheimer's disease and dementia.

Exercise. Walk at least 10,000 steps a day. It revs up production of your brain cells' own Miracle-Gro: BDNF (brain-derived neurotrophic factor). You'll end up with more brain cells and better neural connections. You'll also control blood sugar and blood pressure. Walk just 3 times a week to make your brain's memory center bigger and better.

Eat for a stronger brain. To slow age-related mental decline, dig into these healthy-for-your-brain foods:

Salmon and walnuts for brain-boosting omega-3s. Serve up this Salmon over Warm Lentil, Apple & Walnut Salad -- a recipe from EatingWell.

Blueberries for polyphenols (they slow age-related brain drain). Try this Banana-Blueberry Buttermilk Bread -- another EatingWell recipe.

Dark chocolate for flavonol-induced cerebral blood flow.

Mustard (the turmeric turns on genes that clean up brain-cell poop).

Celery (luteolin dampens brain inflammation).
Whip up EatingWell's Stir-Fried Celery with Peanuts.

Test your memory with these mind-stretching brain games.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 03-10-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Closed Thread