Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 02:44 PM   #121  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi & Bye,

Today is the end of the second week of this 3-week course.

Hi Zoe, unfortunately, I don't know how many students will be in the course until after it begins. After this course, I will take some time off. Do NOT like this feeling stressed!

Lynn
Old 12-13-2010, 04:42 PM   #122  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

I'm here...... Yeah, we got dumped on Zoe........
I was waiting for the electricty to go off because the lines were coated with ice before the snow started but we lucked out. Today everything is beautiful out, we have a lighted Christmas wreath on the outside door and it's so pretty with the snow on top of the lights. We saw two male phesants on the road and felt sorry for them. All the left-over corn in the fields are totally covered with snow and they have nothing to eat. Then a couple of hours ago we saw 6 hens and 1 male phesants under one of our back yard bird feeders eating seeds. Later Bruce took out many scoops of corn and sprinkled it all over out there and under the trees where we first spotted them.
I've got bills pay, better get with it. Have a great day everyone.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:20 AM   #123  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Quick Good Morning, All...

Here's a recipe for a relatively lowfat peppermint pie from Hungry Girl... http://www.hungry-girl.com/chew/printable-recipe/125

I hope you're all doing well. Things to do, places to go... so tata for now! Be warm, dry, and safe!!
Old 12-14-2010, 02:01 PM   #124  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Afternoon chicks.....mumble mumble grrrrr...I have had a bad day. 1st off the R key doesn't always work. You'd be surprised at what that means....like even getting pc to boot up is impossible. Then went for hearing aides check and cleaning and they have to be sent off they are so broken. One is 10 months old other is 2 yrs old. And the tech is going into hospital for major surgery so won't get aides back for weeks. DD sent me a Kindle for Christmas. I have hard wired router and need wifi....okay spent time getting long detailed instructions from a great geek. So spent 2 hours getting that downloaded. But if I take the cd out I loss the internet....hummmmm. Besides it's stinking cold down here....Afraid to go to Amazon and download a book.....my horoscope this am said be careful or you could have a fight with someone...heck am home alone and ready to fight me!

as she crawls back under the rock she keeps bashing her head in with hugs, karen3
Old 12-14-2010, 03:16 PM   #125  

Morning..awww Karen 3 dont u hate days like that,this will pass ,nothing new in my world..i must be catching up as i slept most of yesterday.my dh and i put up our tree, its looking festive..we are having high winds today so hope the power stays on.stay warm and safe "GG" (((hugs))) rosey
Old 12-15-2010, 08:59 AM   #126  
Bobbi

Good Morning Girls!
I was just looking at today's date and crabby Maxine says, "I was going to hang lights this year, but I realized that would just make the house easier for the relatives to find." What a gal she is, she says and does things I'd do only in my mind. Anyway....only 10 days left before Christmas, how is everyone doing with your baking? I got into trouble last Sunday, I ate one cookie that was broken and I couldn't stop eating them. I redeemed myself the next day by eating only 800 or so calories and so it didnt' affect my weight. We have a Christmas buffet at MIL's nursing home tonight and you all know how bland nursing home food is! I have to get another round of cortisone shots on my left side this morning and will ask her about the constipation I'm having due to the meds she has me on. I've never had problems with it before so must be the migraine pills. How many of you used to have stewed prunes as a kid? My mom always gave them to us in the mornings with out breakfast and I love them. She sometimes would make prune whip with them for dessert, really delicious. Anyway......I cooked up some to have in the mornings to help with my little problem and I don't know why I quit eating them. Instead of bananas or fruit on my cereal and yogurt, I'm eating the stewed prunes and it makes my Fiber One really sweet and good. (DH likes them too)
For supper last night I made Korean beef steaks, a large salad and popped some tator tots in the oven for hubby. It wasn't until after supper when I was recording my food on Fitday that I remembered the tator tots that were still in the oven. I forgot to serve them to DH, he said something was missing but he didn't know what. So he ate them after supper as his treat for the night, what a dork I am.
I need to go get ready for mydoctor's appointment, you all have a skinny day. No cheating because Christmas is around the corner.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:56 AM   #127  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Good morning all - thought you might enjoy this little holiday greeting -

http://www.youtube.com/user/AlphabetPhotography

Have a great day!

Z
Old 12-15-2010, 02:08 PM   #128  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellabella View Post
Good morning all - thought you might enjoy this little holiday greeting -

http://www.youtube.com/user/AlphabetPhotography

Have a great day!

Z
Hi Zoe,

I LOVE this. Made me cry.

Lynn
Old 12-15-2010, 07:21 PM   #129  

Hi everyone, we have had a huge wind storm,sounded like our roof flew away last nite..and it brutally cold,still blowing..my computer wasnt working either so my nieces husband talked me thru a complicated repair..wheee im up and running again. feeling tired and draggy today.hope your day is going well rosey
Old 12-15-2010, 07:30 PM   #130  
Donna

Hola, All...
Ran errands all day... then did some baking (which I've already given away). The rest of the baking will wait until next week.

PT/Zoe, I've seen that clip before and thought it was wonderful then and think it's wonderful now. From what I understand, it was staged, which makes sense. Who knows all those words???

Hope you're all doing well. Stay warm and dry and safe!

Enjoy this: http://www.flixxy.com/best-christmas-lights-display.htm

http://www.recipe4living.com/article...as_cookies.htm

Last edited by jess1; 12-15-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:31 AM   #131  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Morning all...finally warming up! Had another Christmas party yesterday and only tasted one thing. Just a tiny sip of chocolate/redwine. Now ladies it looked nasty kinda grey/tan color, smelled like chocolate and I poured 1/2" in a paper cup and 6 of us tasted it. It was fabulous. Kinda like Bailey's. And the after taste was even better. Who'dthunk! Gotta get a bottle for gift.

After such a trying Tuesday this day started off with a laugh. Ran the program to clean up pc amd forgot that means I have to sign in here. Started reading and these 2 annoying women kept chattering. Boy they talked alot. Signed in to shut them up!

I can't find one of the little gifts I bought Dh. Hide it too well....I did get a kindle ebook down loaded. It took longer to pay for it than the download. The "100's" of free books are a bit of a joke. I can't see wanting to reread Jane Austin etc. But don't tell DD. I'll down load some books when we go visit and enjoy them there. Have to see if you can read it in the dark??

Have you all seen the Utube choir singing they staged in Grand Central Station. It is such fun to watch the faces of passerbyes. They have done them all over the world. I spent hours watching....also do dances that look like improv....check them out.

All ready on 2nd load of laundry. How can 2 people get so much dirty stuff? Think our troll brings the neighbors in. Speaking of which went out to dinner with neighbors last night. Went to a steak house because they didn't want seafood (we live on the coast) and Miss Bea ordered salmon. Told them about my aid problem and that I was only hearing every 3rd word....so she mumbled louder.

Going to make my favorite seafood dinner tonight. I broil a pan of thin sliced vegies (squash, mushrooms, plum tomatoes, chunks of red peppers, scallions) coated in lemon juice,eeoo and lemon pepper. Then when almost done toss on lg shrimp. I stick the whole pan on the table and you pick out what you want. It is soooooo good. Probably stuff tomatoes with dab of cheese too. Have served company and they never see it's served in the disposible broil pans. Hey no washing afterwards...just toss. No leftovers either.

Need to make a couple of fruitcakes to take to a party. Found a recipe using jar of mincemeat, 2 boxes of the cranberry loaf mix, dried candied cherries and dried candied pineapple.oh and pecans and eggs. I'll try it and report back. Looks like it takes 3 minutes to put together. Love easy

Rosie...wouldn't surprise me if you stayed sleep for weeks. First you never sleep well in a hospital. Too noisy and scary. But mainly it take weeks for the anesthesia side effects to wear off. The older we get the longer it takes. So enjoy your naps and like a mama grizz you be awake in the Spring!

Gee Lynn....do you give grades out on Christmas? Can they send a request to Santa for a better grade? Can they send you a plate of cookies for a grade? Sorry just got silly.

Off to make the bed and toss another load in the dryer....hugs, karen3
Old 12-16-2010, 10:53 AM   #132  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Oh, PT, I suppose it was staged….I can’t say it occurred to me, though, slow as I am on the draw. You’re right, of course. I know that I, personally, am doing well to remember the first verse of most Christmas carols, and maybe the first line or two of most of the songs that were popular – and that I still like – when I was young. Still, the video does elicit some emotion on people watching it; it did me, and I am notorious for my cynicism.
Another link that may be of interest – was of interest to me, at least, and may be to some of you GG’s.
http://www.beautyofaging.com/ I’ve put a bug in my daughter’s ear that the video might make a nice Christmas gift for yours truly . We don’t talk a lot about aging here, but it’s a bit like the elephant in the room, don’t you think? After all, we ARE posting in the 50+ category, right? Well, anyway, I actually DO think quite a bit about how I want my life to be as I grow older. The process is, after all, unavoidable, and has only one alternative . Right now, I feel very much stifled by the necessity of working every day, and after spending 3 hours a day driving (more, if I’m at meetings in other than my own office location) + a full day at work, I’m frankly just too tired to be very creative. And this feels very burdensome to me, because I truly enjoy sculpting, sewing, jewelry-making and more recently, knitting. I can knit, I’ve discovered, for a couple of hours after supper if DH reads aloud. Can’t watch TV & knit, I don’t think – I’m not good enough yet to try doing it without paying it my full (visual) attention. I do, however, have a nice scarf nearly finished for my daughter for Christmas – variegated grays and black. Very pretty, and I think it’ll work nicely with the black coat that she wears most days to work. I like the thoughts of her having something around her neck that I made – kind of like a warm hug from Mum on a cold day . I need to try to make one each for my other two daughters and one for my son, as well. Perhaps not for Christmas, however . Anyhoo, as I was saying, I’m getting increasingly frustrated with so much of my time being spent at work, or getting to and from work. I think that after the first of the year, I’ll pay a visit to the Social Security office and see what my benefits would look like if I retired ahead of schedule. From what I’ve been able to figure out online, the difference between retiring, say, next year, instead of waiting to turn 66, is only about a hundred dollars. Better in my pocket than theirs, of course, but maybe not that critical to me from the larger perspective. And, if any of you get a chance to check out the trailer on that Beauty of Aging video, it shows an exercise class – sort of dance/movement sort of thing – and it reminded me of the need to USE before I LOSE my flexibility and mobility. I’ve just been feeling so sluggish lately – and I know that not getting sufficient exercise will make me feel even MORE sluggish, you know?
Nice light display, PT. Good grief. I wonder what it would be like to be IN that house with all that going on outside?
How was the buffet, Bobbi…..and what are Korean beefsteaks? Is it adaptable to chicken? Girl, I KNOW Christmas is around the corner, but that doesn’t seem to be enough to keep me from cheating. Some days I do real well, and others I do pretty horribly. Don’t know what’s wrong with me, but sometimes I just plain feel ravenous, and nothing seems to be enough. It’s a real hour-to-hour battle not to go down to the employee lunchroom and spend every last bit of change I have in the vending machines. I’m biting the inside of my cheek here, as I type. Now tomorrow, I probably won’t even want my lunch, never mind snacking in between. Go figure!
Hope you’re feeling a little less draggy today, Rosey. Think of the future! This time next year, you’ll be able to trade in your Mrs. Claus costume for one of the elves! (You can send the Mrs. Claus costume directly to me!)
Glad you like the video, Lynn. Made me sniffle a time or two, myself.
Quiet around these parts lately – everybody must be busy getting ready for Christmas. Did Mary already head down the road for her Christmas with family? Well, I wish you all a good day, and hope you’re getting done what needs doing!

Z

Old 12-16-2010, 12:40 PM   #133  
Donna

Good Morning, All......

PT/Zoe, pretty philosophical this morning, yes? I'm glad you're going to visit the SSI office; I think you're really, really, really ready to do that early retirement thing! And I just watched the trailer of the Beauty of Aging... wow! Thank you!

And I loved the singing in the mall! Someone sent the Il Divo (is that right?) link to the YouTube video of them doing Amazing Grace. Of course, everything they do is truly wonderful. The music this time of year is just the best!

And don't forget our troops: http://letssaythanks.com/Home1280.html This site lets you send a postcard, any time of the year. It's way cool, too.

Nothing on the agenda. The WeatherFools THOUGHT we might have some white stuff, but I think they've confused whatever comes out of their ears with the stuff that goes on the lawn. We've had NO winter here yet! Bah!

Nothing to report. I'm hanging in there! Next week is a baking marathon, and all of it is already designated to give as gifts. Yeah!

Everyone, have a good day. Warm, dry, and safe....

Last edited by jess1; 12-16-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:38 AM   #134  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Good Morning! Not a lot of time this morning I need to get a present wrapped and ready to take to my Aunt. But I tried to change my ticker this morning and it isn't changing---I am finally down to 183 so that shows a pound lost. Darn it the ticker won't change!

Be back later......
Old 12-17-2010, 09:56 AM   #135  
Bobbi

Good Morning, yes........everyone's too busy to post. Including me, I did take the time to watch one of the video's, the singing at the mall. I would love to witness that. I'm going back to see the video you're talking about Zoe on aging. KarenFla...you really make fruitcake and give it out? I'm thinking of the old joke about one ageless fruitcake being passed around every year. I once tasted someone's fruit cake that I actually liked, it didn't have that nasty citron (or whatever that dried fruit is) in it but Rum. I think the gal made it like 3 or 4 months before christmas to age.
Rosey...glad to see you're able to eat more than babyfood. Does it hurt your tummy when you eat too much?
I gotta go check out the video's, be back later.

How to Burn Calories? Try Drinking a Cup of This!
Want to burn a few extra calories today without even trying? Brew yourself a cup of tea.
It's inexpensive, calorie free, and full of amazing-for-your-body antioxidants. And you may burn more fat and calories just by drinking it, according to Elizabeth Somer, registered dietician and author of Eat Your Way to Happiness.
Calorie-Burning Cuppa
Compounds in tea called catechins may help turn up the dial on your metabolism, increasing how many calories you burn as you go about your day. It's a modest effect, but every little bit helps in the battle of the bulge. Just how much help does tea offer? According to Somer, a few cups of tea a day could help you burn up to 80 extra calories. (White tea may help shrink fat cells. Here's more on this.)
More Slimming Support
Some research also suggests that tea drinking could help calm appetite and curb food intake -- possibly due to tea's combination of caffeine and a special catechin called epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG). And if that doesn't make you a tea lover, here are a few more amazing things this brew can do for you:

Last edited by Bobbolink; 12-17-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Closed Thread