Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 06:28 PM   #211  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Hidy hooo....It is warming up down here. One more little chilly night. But be in hi 70's maybe 80 by Saturday. Please note neither of the 2 couples called back on going or not....in my book that means NOT! Made reservations for 6 of us and it's a great 6. Dash is gearing up to chase fireworks. Dog runs up and down the street hoping to catch one. For you Yankees, shooting off fireworks every holiday is better than shooting off our guns! They put up tents and sell rockets etc on every street corner. Noisy and expensive and smelly fun.

It was me...I watched the Jessie Stone movie. Think I've read all of Robert Parker's books. Could not believe when he died this past winter.....think I read CA???? And Tom Seleck as Jessie is just right.

Rosie...Have an assignment for you. It won't belong now before you will be finding your hip bones. You must immediately report that phenomeon here so we can all live it vicariously. In other words report and Gloat!

Played bridge this afternoon and we won. Had a day where I could do nothing wrong. It is so sweet when that happens.

Sitting here sipping diet rootbeer soda. Have not had any soda in months, but there was a sale 2:1. Really enjoying the taste. A little ice cream and a straw would really be even better....sighhhhhh We had a Steward's Rootbeer stand end of town when I was growing up. Car Hops and all. Do they still exist?

The darn troll has gone crazy and messed up my closet again. It can't be me that leaves such a mess....so know what I have to do tomorrow. Bet Have do laundry too.....and with Sat a holiday no cleaning girls...bah hum bug

We were lucky with our parents. Dh's passed away just before we moved to Fl. They went from living alone to the hospital /nursing home and dying in matter of 6 weeks. My dad years ago of a stroke and my mother was living in Cal and died from a stroke in 99. So we had just the clean up of things afterwards. My dyslexic(sp?) brother had the wrong date of birth put on her stone. It is quietly driving me insane. Dad was born 2/1903 and Mon was born 12/1912 and the family joke was sometimes he was 10 yrs older sometimes not....so Alex had 1913 craved. I can hear Daddy laughing!

Stay warm and cozy everyone....hugs,karen3

Last edited by Karen3; 12-31-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:03 PM   #212  

Karen 3..no hip bones yet,they are well padded,however if i do a shimmy my panties fall down does that count lol rosey

Last edited by akrosey49; 12-29-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:35 PM   #213  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Yay Rosey!!! I bet you love that feeling too!! I don't have anything that falls when I shimmy!! That is exciting!!

Karen3--we used to shoot off fireworks at midnight on New Years eve when we were in Colorado...not sure what they do here since last year we had my son with us and didn't do anything. But in Colorado they always shoot fireworks off the top of Pikes Peak and that was always so beautiful to watch too. Since that is our anniversary we would usually sit in by the fire in the living room, sip our champagne and midnight and watch the fireworks!! Not sure what the plans are this year... just want to get over this bug!! I'd really like to go for a nice dinner for "2" maybe at the Red Lobster or somewhere nice.

My son is moving back in this week.... He will be working until 1:00am on New Year's Eve so at least I know where he will be. We will probably go and pick him up if it is really bitter cold out. It is supposed to get down to about 18 with windchills about 10 degrees. That's pretty cold to be walking. He has been doing very good...was a little sad last night when he had started packing up stuff and realized that he had to start all over again. Called and asked us how many times is he going to have to start over? My answer to him was just "until you don't" I really didn't have a whole lot more to add. My grandmother used to say, "Experience is a hard lesson, but some fools won't learn any other way" I guess it is true. And SHE has been calling and talking to him and "thinking" about coming back!! I could have said that before she got out of the state when she left! BUT I have already told him that he is welcome to stay here but SHE WILL NOT BE HERE NOT ONE NIGHT!! He said he knows that but if she is the one that he wants to make him happy then I should have to accept it.. .I told him I would accept it only because he chose her.... but I won't trust her and I won't let my guard down around her. I am still hoping that she stay in Colorado, or anywhere but here.
I think I will write a book about our family, sell it to the TV and they can make a soap opera out of it!! People would watch and say this doesn't happen in real life!!! LOL!!!

Zoe, it sounds like you have really put some thought in to what you want to do. I like not having to work right now but have also had some thoughts about maybe doing something. But then I think if we want to take off and do something there isn't anything stopping us. I know that we are going to PA this year to visit Tim's Dad. We didn't make it the last couple years and he is 94 so that is our number 1 priority this Spring! It would be nice if all 5 of his kids could be there at the same time and do something really special. Lets see one lives there with him, one lives in New Hampshire, one in lives in Massachusetts, one in Albuquerque and then Tim is here in MO. Hmmmmm Wonder if we could get something planned in time. He would love it! I may put the bug in Tim's ear and see what he thinks.

OK, well I've rambled on more than I intended to tonight. But I've made it all this time and haven't coughed once!!YAY!!

Take care and I'll catch you all later.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:27 PM   #214  

Well, this pretty much sums it up!! LOL!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maxine.jpg (40.9 KB, 15 views)
Old 12-30-2010, 07:49 AM   #215  
GmaTo8

at Maxine, Karen 31!

Here's wishing you Golden Girls a Happy New Year! May it bring to you health, happiness, and love.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:57 AM   #216  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

My car is at the dealer's - needs wheel bearings in both front wheels - $800!!!!!!!!!!!

My sister is here & is staying over. Today, we are going to the Pearl Buck (author) house - near me. Tonight is dinner at my DD's.

Lynn
Old 12-30-2010, 10:41 AM   #217  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Morning...grumble grumble....Had to take Dh's Jeep into shop. The driver's window came off the track AGAIN! Be $800 to fix AGAIN! 1st time it happened was when we evacuating for hurricane Frances. Stood in the driveway in 90mph winds getting a black garbage bag taped to open window. Got so wet and sucked in so much water decided to ride out the storm at home. Actually think this is the 6th time. Design flaw! Must happen so often the dealer has parts in stock.

Rosie....marvelous about droopy panties but I'm talking the big time with HIP BONES!

We have neighbors up the street with an attitude. They were shooting off fireworks Christmas eve and set fire to the yard across the canal. He drove over stumped out the blaze and we could hear his truck flying out of town. It could have been a roof! Real concern for tomorrow night for sure.

Bobbie...Where are you? What did the doctor say? Any relief? So many things can cause migraines......from allergies, teeth, hormones, BP, infection and on and on. You need to find the cause to treat the headache. Gee like I have to tell you that. I had a month of headaches so bad that was carted off to ER in an ambo twice just before we moved down here. I credit my DD with literally saving me. She told me to have the doctor check for Lyme disease. They poopooed the request but did it and started me on an antibiotic. It was the answer. Took a couple of weeks for test results and by that time I was functioning again. This after spinal tap, cat scan and mri was negative....I canceled the test where they were running wire into my brain. Figured that could do more damage than good. Be Proactive and demand they help you. Or I'll come and do it for you.

Gesh....forgot was supposed to pick up old aids this am....gotta run...hugs, karen3

ps...Lynn does your guy talk to Dh's guy...$800 must be going rate for everything???

Last edited by Karen3; 12-30-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:45 AM   #218  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Thanks, Jane! And best wishes for a happy, healthy 2011 right back at you!
[QUOTE=[COLOR="Magenta"]Karen31
;]”He said he knows that but if she is the one that he wants to make him happy then I should have to accept it…” Well, Karen31, I really think that the key phrase here is “the one that HE wants”. I think it’s perfectly reasonable for you to accept that she (and all the drama) is what HE wants, but I think that HE needs to accept that you DON’T want her staying at your house, and you DON’T want to have to keep coming to his rescue when she calls up and has him arrested. If he is “mature” and “independent” enough to choose to continue to be involved with her, then HE should be the one to handle the consequences, not YOU. I would make it quite clear that if they want to be together, it has to be in their own place, and that any “relationship issues” aren’t going to be YOUR PROBLEM. Honestly, I swear….soap opera, indeed. But, don’t feel like you’re the only one, Karen. We’ve all had our share of drama with our kids at one time or another. That’s life, eh?
Omigosh, Rosey! Got those panties fallin’ down, have you? Well, don’t buy any new ones yet, because before long, they’ll be fallin’ down when you do the shimmy as well, so maybe for now some suspenders?
Ahhhh, Karen3. How refreshing to hear about your messy closet. I thought I was the only one who hadn’t yet mastered the art of neatness. Right now, I’ve got a week’s worth of outfits lying on the chest in my bedroom awaiting disposition. And not a cleaning person in sight!!!! Waaahhhhh. Maybe I should just keep my job and hire cleaning people, launderers and a cook.
Ohboy, Freda, I was just thinking, as I left the house this morning, that we really need to get that tree down. Enough is enough, already. Okay, so Jesse Stone is a Robert Parker character? I think I only read one of his books a long, long time ago, but….tah daaaahhhhhh….he lived in Boston, you know. I actually met the fellow at one party and years later ran into him at a gallery opening. He also ate quite often at Grill 23, a restaurant that was on a corner adjacent to my old office in Back Bay – Boston – and I saw him there several times over the 10 years that I worked in that location. We had a sort of nodding acquaintance; I knew perfectly well who he was, but he tended to look at me in a way that suggested I looked familiar, but he really couldn’t place me. I knew the fellow – Avery Brooks – black guy who played back-up (Hawk) to Robert Ulrich on the Spenser for Hire series. I always thought that that role was so completely out of character for him – the man was/is probably still brilliant; has taught for 30 years at Rutgers, played Othello to rave reviews, all KINDS of other awards and accomplishments – but I guess playing “Hawk” only goes to show what an amazing actor he is. He was a good friend of the son of an old professor of mine at UMass Amherst, and my former husband and I used to attend “salons” at the professor’s house – Avery was there every so often. It’s been years and years since I even thought about that phase of my life! Wow. Time sure has passed.
Still waiting on those pictures of Samcat in the stroller, PT. And do have snow yet? (I can’t even imagine waiting for it to snow). Okay, well, I guess maybe I used to – all that many years ago when I was young, liked to ski, and was bold and fearless enough not to care about icy roads or whether or not I got stuck in a snow bank. Now, when anybody says “snow”, my first thought is, “Do I have to go to work? Are the roads clear?” So sad, I know.
Well, it looks like a mixed bag on the GG’s get-together. Thanks for creating that thread, Lynn! (Oh, ACK about your car!) I vote that we make our getaway as economical as possible so that more, rather than fewer, can be a part of it. Let’s just start doing our research and see if we can’t find someplace – say a cabin or condo or something – that we could rent for a long weekend and share the cost. I mean, suppose we could find us a 3 bedroom condo in ANYWHERE, USA for @ $600 (or less) for three nights (Fri, Sat, Sun?) – If six of us went, that’s $100 apiece (or less) for our accommodations. If MORE of us went (heck, some of us could take turns on the couch or a cot in the living room) it would cost us even less. And, if we booked WAY ahead of time, we could grab some decent airfare or trainfare (or plan to drive) as well. Girls, we DESERVE this! We deserve a good ole’ pajama party gabfest, (Golden)girls-only getaway where we can let it all hang out, talk ourselves blue in the face, and laugh like hyenas….and heck, even cry if we feel like it (it’s our party and we’ll cry if we wanna). Check THIS out:
http://www.americanmountainrentals.c...etretreat.html Not bad, eh? And if we booked off-season (whenever off-season is) it’s only $170/night. I mean, this is do-able, right? Six of us would only have to pay $85 for all three nights! But that’s just one quick example – found it in about ten seconds flat. We could probably do even better. So let’s really think this through, right?
Okay. I’m about done for now. Bobbi? Any relief yet from the headaches? Please let us know!
Have a good day, y’all….almost time for the ball to drop….2011…whoever would’ve believed it?

Z
[/COLOR]
Old 12-30-2010, 10:59 AM   #219  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All...
So many good posts!! And I do love the Maxine wisdom... although I have high expectations for 2011... and that's the truth!! Pffffffffffft!

PT/Zoe, I think you're right that we deserve a break today and that, with some planning and penny pinching, all who are able should be able to GatherForGiggles! I have a feeling that the biggest hurdle will be the transportation costs, since we're a far-flung group!

What's with all the car troubles, Lynn and KarenFL? Please don't spread that contagion!

Rosey, I can just see you shimmmying... pace yourself, for DH's sake! I think this is just the best, the best, the best! I'm so proud of you!

KarenMO, PT/Zoe is right. You have to let go and let tough love prevail. HIS choices, HIS consequences... I know it's hard, because I know how much you love him and want to protect him. However, there are consequences to behavior, as we adults know... and it's time that the "kid" figures that out, too.

PT/Zoe, the kitty stroller hasn't arrived yet, but I'll take photos as soon as it does. And, no, NO SNOW. The WF said that we should get 5-10 over the next couple of days. It's absolutely gorgeous and clear outside, though, so I'm, um, like, not believing!

Enough nonsense! Everyone, have a lovely today and stay inside tomorrow night! There are crazies out there! Be warm and dry and SAFE!

Last edited by jess1; 12-30-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:07 AM   #220  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Zoe.....granny grunt here loves your large printing, it's so much easier to read! Thank you!
I'm on my way to chiropractor, the new guy I went to last Tuesday for the new cold laser treatment. He did two procedures on me, the cold laser and a strange metal bar that he ran over my knotted up neck and shoulder muscles. (works like a deep massage) It all felt good but made no difference, still had the tight stiff neck and headaches. Today he's going to step up the procedures, he didn't want to do too much the 1st time. He didn't do xray yet, but will after he evaluates me today. I was so impressed with him, very knowledgeable. He wore nice dress pants, dress shirt and a tie, very clean rooms........I say that because some chiropractors I've been to don't look like they iron their casual clothes, one guy smelled? Didn't go back to him again. Anyway...the top two vertibraes in my neck are giving me the problems, full of arthritis and affecting the muscles in my upper shoulder blades and neck. Stiff neck and headaches are due to that. We'll see what happens today, gotta go now. It's raining now and the roads are icy so I need to take off. I'll do personals later or tomorrow......Rosey, I want to see you shimmy out of your drawers
Old 12-30-2010, 12:15 PM   #221  

Oh he knows that there will be no more money to bail him out, she won't be staying here and neither will her kids. He knows that this is just temporary while he catches up his bills (and we have told him he won't be blowing money or he will be out looking for a place) and he will be saving money to get his own place. If he has "extra money" he can give it to us and we will be saving it! He isn't going to just lay around and do nothing but get up and go to work... He can be a part of this family if he is staying with us. There is always something that needs to get done---shoot he can even fix some dinners while he is here since that is something that he enjoys. We have made it very clear that this isn't a "FLOP HOUSE"!!
After they texted back and forth this morning she told him to only text her if it concerns her things that she has left here...Right now he is renting a 5 X 10 storage but some the things that are going in it are his. So I hope he tells her next month the rent is hers!! And once he gets his own place again I really hope he tells her that he will not be paying anymore on the rent for her things...hoping anyway!
Old 12-30-2010, 12:53 PM   #222  

Height: 5'1"

Hi Girls,

Another lazy day. Didn't work yesterday as planned. Got a L/C day. We did manage to get all the Christmas decorations down and packed away. I clean as i go, so a real accomplishment. It's still cold and snow is still on the ground and will be untill spring. But at least we havent' gotten any snow storms like they are getting on the coast. Our neighbor went to W. Virginia and didn't ask us to get his mail, since he only intended to stay a few days. Had to call us and have us pick it up, since there was no way he was going to get home anytime soon. Also, my sister in Ky. got stuck and couldn't get home. Weird when they are getting worse weather than we are.

Z, I am just so jealous of you!!!! You got to meet Parker and "Hawk" too? I've read all his books. And I've stayed in the Cabins in Gattlinberg that you posted. I have a large family and we go on vacation together every other year. We rented a cabin there. 8 bedrooms, 2 kitchens, play room, firplaces in the bedrooms. 2 hot tubs, 2 wrap around porches. and the price is really not bad. And the view is killer!

Karen, it's hard to say "no" to our kids when they get in trouble, but sometimes it has to be done. Just stick with your plan. Why our kids can't see how destructive a realationship is is beyond me. Can't say I didn't make a few bad decisions when I was younger though. Live and LEARN.

Bobbi, I hope you find some answers soon. Horrible to be sick all the time.

Donna, Now I have the picture of Rosie "shimmeying" in my head.

Karen, Just picked up DH truck up at the dealers yesterday. Thankfully, it was still under warrenty. Took it in for one thing and found a lot of other things wrong that had to be fixed. Don't make cars like they used to.

Lynn, Hate car problems! right out there with computer problems.

Rosie, Keep shimmeying! Soon it will be the pants too! Then DH will really have a melt down.

Everyone, make it a good day!

Freda

Last edited by the slim me; 12-30-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:53 PM   #223  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Miss Bobbi:
Surprising Foods That Trigger Migraines
My friend Nancy never indulges in red wine, cheese or chocolate. If you suffer from migraines, as Nancy does, you probably are well aware of these notorious headache-triggering foods. But did you know that many seemingly benign foods -- including citrus fruits, onions and yogurt -- may make your head throb?

I was told by neurologist Alexander Mauskop, MD, director of the New York Headache Center, that almost any food can trigger a migraine in certain individuals, though what sets off a headache in one person may not affect another at all. Figuring out which foods to avoid can be an exercise in frustration. Reasons: You may react to a single bite (for instance, just one almond)... or you may get a headache only when you eat at least a full serving of that food. Also, a certain food may set off a cascade of pain every time... or you may react to that food only when some other factor comes into play -- for instance, when you’re sleep-deprived or stressed.

To identify your problem foods, Dr. Mauskop recommended keeping a food diary and looking for patterns. Simplest: Make a list of everything that you consumed in the eight hours before a migraine began... and/or use the worksheet from the American Headache Society (http://www.AcheNet.org/tools/trigger...nformation.asp). More revealing: Keep a daily journal that tracks what and when you eat... exercise and sleep patterns... stress levels... menstrual cycle... weather... and anything else that you suspect might be linked to your migraines. Continue for two to three months if you typically get six or more headaches per month. For less frequent headaches, you may need to keep the journal longer to detect patterns. High-tech help: Download the free app Headache Relief Diary (for iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch), developed by Dr. Mauskop, through the iTunes store.

Researchers do not know the exact mechanism behind all dietary migraine triggers. But foods containing naturally occurring substances called amines, which dilate blood vessels, often play a part -- because for migraine-prone people, even tiny changes in blood vessel dilation can induce a headache. Particularly suspect are tyramine, phenylethylamine and histamine. Certain categories of amine-containing foods cause problems for many migraine sufferers. Here are some of the most common culprits...

Nuts. Though Dr. Mauskop often prescribes magnesium supplements as a preventive measure for migraine patients (and nuts are chock-full of this mineral), he nonetheless cautions against nuts and nut butters because they can trigger headaches -- perhaps due to their tyramine content. Almonds and peanuts are particularly problematic. Your food diary can help you determine which nuts, if any, are safe for you.

Fruits and fruit juices. The most likely offenders are citrus fruits, such as grapefruits, lemons, limes, oranges and tangerines... and tropical fruits, including avocados, mangoes, papayas, passion fruits and pineapples. These all contain tyramine and phenylethylamine... citrus fruits also release histamine.

Dried fruits. Raisins, prunes and dried apricots (as well as red wine) all contain amines. Additional problem: Dried fruits also contain sulfites, a type of preservative known to provoke headaches in some people. Even organic versions of these foods can trigger headaches, Dr. Mauskop cautioned, because some sulfites occur naturally.

Vegetables. Onions, snow peas and certain beans (broad, fava, lima) all contain tyramine.

Fermented, aged or overripe foods. Fermented foods, such as yogurt, beer and breads made with yeast, contain histamine. Also, tyramine levels rise when food is aged (as with certain cheeses) or no longer fresh (which is why an overripe banana or avocado, for instance, can set off a migraine).

Coffee and tea. These do have amines -- but that is only part of the problem. The other factor to consider is caffeine. Dr. Mauskop explained that many nonprescription and prescription headache medicines contain caffeine... and when used no more than twice weekly, caffeine often can relieve headaches. But: For some people, caffeine -- especially when consumed daily -- actually can make migraines more frequent, severe and difficult to treat.

Whatever foods you end up needing to avoid, one thing to get plenty of is water. Dr. Mauskop said, "Dehydration is a known migraine inducer, so patients often get better when they drink more fluids. We call this the water cure."

Source: Alexander Mauskop, MD, is an associate professor of neurology at SUNY Downstate Medical Center in Brooklyn and founder and director of the New York Headache Center in New York City. He is the author or coauthor of three books, including Migraine and Headache (Oxford), past president of the Eastern Pain Association, and developer of the nonprescription headache medication Migralex. www.NYHeadache.com

We're going to get you fixed, yet! Your new guy sounds promising!!

Old 12-30-2010, 02:55 PM   #224  
Bobbi

Wow Donna, great article. I know about chocolate, cheese and wine. I stay away from them, I don't have many food triggers. One thing that gives me an instant migraine is MSG, that nasty food additive will put me down for days! Most snack crackers have it in, triskets are one of my favorites but I can't eat them because of MSG. When we eat chinese in restaurant, they add msg unless you tell them to omit it. I can only find one brand of chicken/beef bouillon cubes that doesn't have msg.
I just got back from my new chiropractor, he took photo's of my back side and side profile, showed me today my stance and how my posture is slightly off. I need to do some ab exercises to start with and rotate my hips a certain way. My headaches are coming from my top two vertebraes in my neck and until he can get those back into the correct position and they stay in place, I'll have the headaches. I'll be doing 3 sessions a week, medicare doesn't pay for the cold laser treatment, ouch! I haven't eaten lunch yet so I think I'll grab another bowl of cereal. The doc had an emergency hockey student in his office and I was very late getting into my session. Take care everyone.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:37 AM   #225  
Bobbi

Good Morning Girls!
I'll start the new January thread as soon as I post this article from Dr. Weil's site. How many of you drink water 1/2 hour before you eat? I don't myself, I always have one with my meal. Maybe some of you would like to try it and post the results?
Yesterday doc told me to lay on my back for the 1st 10 minutes with my orthopedic pillow (ridges on both sides, hollowed out in center) to alien my neck before going to sleep. He said it's better for me to sleep on my back with my neck problems. I'm a side sleeper and hard to change with years of sleeping on either side. Anyway, last night I put pillows on both sides of me and fell asleep on my back. I woke up that way too? Anyway, I didn't wake with a headache during the night and didn't have one this morning, 1st time in months!
I don't think one night of sleeping on my back cured me, I think the cold laser treatments along with the metal bar thingie and adjusting my neck is starting to work. See you on the new thread!

A recent study comes from investigators at Virginia Tech. The researchers found that middle-aged and older obese men and women who drank two cups of water before each meal lost five pounds more than a group of dieters in the same age range who didn't change their water intake. A year later, those in the first group had kept off more weight than the participants in the second. However, the research team reported that for unknown reasons drinking two glasses of water before meals didn't have the same effect in younger adults.
In findings reported in 2008, the same Virginia Tech team showed that older adults who drank two cups of water half an hour before breakfast consumed about 75 fewer calories than a comparable group who didn't drink the water. For that study, none of the participants dieted - they could eat what they wanted as long as those assigned to drinking water continued to do so for the duration of the study.
advertisement

Then the Virginia Tech team put more than 40 obese adults between the ages of 55 and 75 on a 1200 to 1500 calorie per day diet. Half were randomly assigned to drink a 16-ounce bottle of water before all three meals; the others were given the water but no instructions as to when they should drink it. After 12 weeks, those who drank the water had lost an average of 15.5 pounds compared to 11 pounds in the other group.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 12-31-2010 at 09:39 AM.
Closed Thread