Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 03:50 PM   #196  

Morning everyone im feeling pretty good today,my niece is expecting a baby girl this month and my sister asked if i would make the shapped diapers like my mom made for our kids. I have all the stuff so cut out tiny flannel diapers last nite and will sew them today, i used bright flannels and prints so cute..it feels good to be up doing some project,also have aquilt to make for her..sounds like everyone is getting back on track you asked what i had for xmas dinner i blended calico beans and a slice of ham,it tasted wonderful but was full after about 4 bites,later i had cherry sf jello and a popsicel..i did have one cookie without frosting or sprinkels but the sugar did me in..tasted real good tho ..its still cold here..brrr whats everyones plans for new yrs eve,we used to go out to the local bar but we'd rather stay home now..hoping you have a great day rosey
Old 12-27-2010, 08:38 PM   #197  

S/C/G: 148/146/124(edited goal)

Height: 4' 11"

Bobbi, Why didn't your Doc do those tests long ago? I hope they find whatever is causing those headaches soon.

This was a pretty good day eating-wise for me. I am back at work and able to stay very busy to help keep my mind off of food. It's after I get home that I get into trouble. I am setting a goal for myself to lose 5 lbs by the end of January. There, now that I've said it - I am committed to do it.

New Year's Eve plans? I can't remember the last time we did anything for News Year's Eve. I think it may have been about 10 years ago when we had a party at our home. We did one of those murder mystery games where everyone stays in character for the evening. Some of the guests even came dressed as their character because I had sent their bio with their invitation.
We usually have something special for dinner (like lobster) and spend the evening watching everyone else ring in the New Year on TV. It's always so cold or snowy on New Years, and this year we are expecting rain on top of all of this snow. Should be fun.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:20 PM   #198  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Hello all,

Had a nice holiday here. Did the Christmas thing on Christmas Eve with daughter and her family, son-in-law's parents and brother, and our son, me and DH at daughter's house. Had meal first ~ did it kind of buffet style ~ part of us at one table and part of us at another table in another room. Worked out kind of well that way ~ some of the people don't especially enjoy being with each other, so it was kind of different but probably for the best. Then watched the kids open presents. Corbin got his first shaver ~ growing up ~ where has the time gone? Maddie is into the princess things and got that kind of stuff.

Had one hilarious episode ~ Maddie dressed mommy up in her princess crown and clip on ear rings and then wanted mommy to put on one of the princess outfits. Mommy tried to explain that it was Maddie's size and wouldn't fit her. But Maddie got quite insistent that mommy put it on ~ and told her put one foot in, so Sara (mommy) had the skirt on one leg ~ Maddie wanted her to put both feet in ~ but of course it wouldn't fit ~ so Maddie got ticked off with mommy and took the crown away and told mommy that she had been very naughty. We all couldn't help but to burst out laughing.

I worked on Christmas day ~ so missed out on that part. But considering that before I moved here, I spent the holidays all alone, I was so thankful to have had part of the holiday with them.

Was excited when I remembered that I was going to be off on New Year's Eve, until I stopped and thought that I work the next day and need to go to bed by about 9:30pm to get up at 4:45 am for work. Guess I'll have to miss the ball dropping. Oh well........

Eating was so-so. Looking forward to returning to more healthy normal eating.

Better get off and get to bed now. Hope you all are doing well. Will try to get to personals on another day.

Take care
Old 12-28-2010, 10:14 AM   #199  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Morning!
Yesterday was my first day back OP and it felt wonderful. During the holidays while I was splurging on junk food and sugar I got to thinking about how some people feel yucky when they eat that way. Funny, I never feel yucky......I could eat 20 cookies and not blink an eye and never get sick to my stomach. But most of the junk food is gone, the cookies are in the freezer and I don't get tempted because I know I'm back to being OP.
I never got the flu bug everyone is getting, probably since I don't work in the public anymore. DH came home with a mild case of something? (We've used separate hand towels for years and I never catch anything.) Plus I have the roughest hands because I'm always washing them, a great way to head off germs.
My headache was so bad in the night that I thought of going to the hospital. Yesterdays paper had an article about a new procedure called 'Cold Laser Therapy' by a Chiropractor. I have a appointment today at 2:15 to see if he can help me. I don't know why the doctor at the hospital never took x-rays? I don't think she knows what shes doing. I told DH this am that I'd make a appointment with my regular doctor after seeing what this guy today will do. Donna...you asked about my teeth, I hadn't thought of that being the problem. I go to the dentist on a regular basic, have my teeth checked and cleaned. Usually if I have a problem, my mouth lets me know. I've had numerous root canals so not many teeth left with the roots in them. Where did you see that article?
I took down the tree and all the Christmas decorations yesterday, usually I leave them up until New Year's day. I had so much energy yesterday, was only going to take the tree down. But since the going was good, I kept going. I took many pictures of our beautiful snow laden tree yesterday to post but all pictures failed. I downsized the pictures and I still couldn't post them? My computer has been acting up lately, hope it doesn't crash.
You all have a great day.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:47 AM   #200  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

G’morning, all…..wow. Christmas is over for yet another year! Ours was busy…bustling…hectic…and wonderful having everybody with us, but oh, such a relief having it all over with! Yesterday, I took a nice long bath, and got back into some clean PJ’s and never ventured out the whole day long. Did some knitting, did some reading, poked around on the internet, heated up some leftovers for supper, and called it a day. Such decadence! Such luxury! And, Ohboy, was I ready to get myself out of there by this morning! (Perhaps I’m not quite so ready as I thought to retire? Okay, as regards a Golden Girlies weekend getaway in celebration of my retirement <Lynn, Bobbi> – well, I’m just not sure when that’s going to be. I’m actually going to pay a visit to the Social Security office after the first of the year to see just what my options are there, and then I’ll come up with a plan for myself. So where would we get together? Rosey’s in Alaska, some of us are on the east coast, and others are everywhere in between. Should we try to pick an equidistant spot somewhere in the middle, or should we just pick a place that we’d all like to go – maybe someplace crazy like Las Vegas (?), that has cheap flights from just about everywhere in the world, and there’s always the Grand Canyon nearby – or maybe someplace altogether different? OMIGOD, Rosey, by the time we do this, you’ll be a mere shadow of your former self! We can celebrate THAT, too! Food for thought, eh?
And speaking of food, my eating has been an abomination since before Christmas. I refuse to get on the scale, but my clothes are fitting a tad more snugly, and that’s setting off some alarm bells, let me tell you! I’m preparing myself for an all-out battle of the bulge beginning January 1st. I’m going to have meals planned for a month at a time, and yes, Lynn, I AM going to exercise, but I don’t think I can join in any challenges. I am typically more successful at things when I am competing against myself, rather than anybody else. I’m going to track my exercise on Fitday (which is what I’ll be using to track my eating) but I’ll be starting slowly and working my way up to increasing strenuous goals. I bought dh & I both walking sticks – like ski poles, only used for walking? – as one of our Christmas gifts, and we’re planning to use them extensively in the spring. I’m actually looking forward to getting myself back in the exercise groove. I think we’re going to start riding our mountain bikes again, too. At least I know that I am! I swear, I become so sluggish in winter – very bear-like, wanting nothing more than to curl up and hibernate. But, you know, the days are actually going to start getting longer already, and it won’t be a whole lot more time before it’s spring again. And that’s encouraging to me, even though it means that I’ll be another year older (April). Good grief. On the bright side, I have six weeks vacation time to plan, so that’s something to look forward to.
Gayle, I’m so glad that you now get to spend the holidays with family! I don’t know what I’d ever do if we weren’t able to do that! I do grumble over all the chaos and such, but deep down, wouldn’t have it any other way!
Lily, for years – all the time my kids were growing up, we did a big New Year’s Eve supper for family and friends – Lobster, shrimp, steak, salads, shish-kebab, scallops wrapped in bacon & broiled in soy sauce, every kind of bread and roll imaginable, and more desserts and such than an army could’ve put away. We had a huge home back then, with a great room that could’ve accommodated that army, and pretty much did. My ex & I both had good jobs, no financial constraints, and enjoyed feeding the multitudes. Now, the house that dh & I share is much smaller and less ostentatious, but MUCH warmer and WAY more comfortable emotionally for me (except, as you know, for the fact that dh is always IN it!) So we do a scaled-down version of all that former feasting, but New Year’s Eve wouldn’t BE New Year’s Eve for us without lobster! THAT, we have no matter what! (It’s low in calories, too!)
PT, I had yesterday off for my Christmas holiday! I know that the rest of the world had Friday off, but we voted for half a day Friday and Monday off as our Christmas. Good call, I’m thinking, as I was just about ready to fly the coop, and here we are with the roads all clear and with so many people vacationing this week, the roads were easy-peasy.
Bobbi, we didn’t get 3 feet of snow! I think they said around 18 inches fell in Boston, but of course I live 45 miles west of Boston, and this storm was a coastal one. We may have had 8 – 10 inches, but it didn’t look that high to me, and as luck would have it, it was light and powdery, so you could just mostly brush it away. My guess is that we’ll get hit with several much worse before spring comes to New England!
Karen3, I hate to tell you what I just paid for orange juice!!!!!! I forgot that colder-than-usual weather down there would impact citrus prices up here! Yikes! I may have to take vitamin C in pill form for a while….
Freda, My ex’s family always did the black-eyed peas and ham hocks (never heard of the hog jaw version) and they said it brought good luck, as well! Maybe I’ll make some this year. I could use some good luck, I think.
Karen31, Oh, Lordy! I hope you don’t become a Wii addict like my dh has become! He got his Wii last year, along with the Wii Fit application; this year I got him the Wii Resort with all the attachments, and he played that for about 3 hours yesterday. The man loves his Wii. Me? Not so much. I did it a few times, but didn’t find it all that exciting. I think Bobbi felt the same way about hers, right, Bobbi?
Ah, well. You know that I, personally, am such a slug! I don’t much like anything that forces me to move any faster than I want to move!
OH, Bobbi – I just saw your post! I sure hope this laser treatment might help you! Maybe it’s time for another doctor, too? Did the one you’re going to now do an MRI? I don’t get it….we just want you to be well, girlie. Let us know how this goes for you…with the chiropractor, okay?
And thaaaaaaas’ all, folks! Enough out of me, eh? Have a good day, everybody!

Z
Old 12-28-2010, 11:37 AM   #201  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning Everyone,

Got out of here this morning – went to the gym. Roads are fine.

No special plans for today – tomorrow I am taking my car in for service, Thursday meeting my sister for a “dinner – movie.” It just opened up – you eat while you watch the movie. I’ll let you know about it after we try.

Friday, my DF and I will do our annual New Year’s Eve jigsaw puzzle.

Have a good day, Everyone,

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess1 View Post

Tonight is the ex-in-laws' family gathering.
Hi Donna,
Whose ex in-laws? I have remained friendly with my ex sister-in-law. She lives in FL and keeps in contact with me and my DD – but NOT with her brother (my ex.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by the slim me View Post
I hadn't eaten since 11 that morning and it was 8.
Like you, My tummy lets me know if I get too far out of line.
Lynn, the hot dog has me beat. I did get a really lovely piece of hand weaving from my grand daughter. It's just a very small piece, maybe 8 inches long and 2 inches wide. I'm going to frame it and hang it on the wall. It's striped and many different colors. of all the things I got, that will probably hang around a long time.
My son isn't starting out too great this year. He fell Monday and hit his shoulder. They think he has a torn rotator cuff too. He has to see an ortho guy on the 2nd. I know mine took forever to heal, since I didn't have surgery.
Hi Freda,
I could NEVER go from 11 in the morning to 8 at night without eating. I guess it might be the diabetes, but I start feeling crummy if I don’t eat every 4 hours or so. It can be a small snack – ½ piece of fruit or a cheese stick, but I need something to keep me going.
Too much fat or sugar and I feel REALLY sick. Eating the cookie dough made me feel so bad, I never had any Christmas cookies at all!
Strange gift coincidence – my SIL and I got each other the same gift – a color Nook. Now we just have to figure out how to use them.
I hope your son has good luck with his shoulder. My SIL had both done – one healed REALLY well and the other was a problem. With the good one, he had done better with the PT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen3 View Post
We got a 6 pack of Doggie Beer. It is funny. A red carton with 6 brown bottles of doggie ale. Looks real. Has a Bull Mastiff as a logo. It is basically chicken stock and good for dogs. (unless like dash allergic to chicken)
Hi Karen,
Just curious – if your dog is allergic to the beer, who drank it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrosey49 View Post
ive lost a total of 69# both pre surg and after surg im 1 under 300 i was so pleased,anyways (((hugs))) for all rosey
Hi Rosey,
I aM dOiNg ThE hApPy DaNcE for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CONGRATULATIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodLily View Post
It is so interesting reading how people celebrate this day and the traditional foods they eat.
We have gotten less and less formal as we have aged. I try to ignore the comments from my MIL that "everyone else" eats dinner on china plates in the dining room. Am I the only one who has gotten away from that?
Hi Lily,
I kind of go along with whatever my DD & SIL want. I don’t even put up a tree anymore. We have no little ones around & so many of my loved ones are no longer with us. We are pretty traditional about Thanksgiving meal, but anything goes for Christmas. This year, my DD made steak au poivre & frites. I bought a fondant covered Christmas cake for dessert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen31 View Post
I hope everyone had a good Christmas-- I know I sure did. I really wanted a Wii and didn't really expect to get it since I just got the washer and dryer a couple months ago...but I did! I'm so excited! We, along with our son, went bowling in the living room this morning! I beat them both! YAY!! But I want to get the Wii fit or The Biggest Loser to go with it too. Not sure which one but I definetly need something!!
Hi Karen,
Glad you got what you wanted for Christmas. Will be anxious to hear how you like it for exercising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the slim me View Post
We had a wonderful Christmas, but i've got to say, I'm happy that it's over. it was way too hectic this year. Didn't help that I got that virus and was in bed for almost a week. And had to work Christmas Eve. But it's almost a new year now, and new time to refelect on the past year and plan for the new.
Hi Freda,
Sorry to hear you were sick. Hope you are feeling better now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen3 View Post
Freda....back when I had to work the holiday would leave instruction like turn on oven at 11am at 350 place turkey in oven shut door. Then crossed my fingers that dinner was cooking. Actuall perferred working Christmas day and left DH with toys/batteries and that stuff.
Hi Karen,
Why did you prefer to work on Christmas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
Good Morning Girls!
Lynn...yes, we're getting lots of snow too, we set a all time record for snow fall for the month of December. It's snowing right now but I can see the sun trying to peak through too, how'd you do for eating over the holidays? Put on any pounds like I did?
Zoe...I love the Golden Girls too, and it would be fun to celebrate your retirement.
Sooooooooooo.....today is D DAY! Back to counting calories, back to Fitday and back to no fun. I'm going to put all the cookies in the freezer today and if I start thinking about them I'm going to hit my finger with a hammer.
KarenFla...I love the Jesse Stone movies, we were all set to watch his last one the other night, but we'd already seen it. Now that Biggest Losers, survivor and amazing race is over, we have nothing exciting to watch. Lifetime movies are good but there're more of a girl thing, DH watched one with me last night.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Hi Bobbi,
The day after Christmas, I was up to 154 lbs. This morning I am back down to 150. LOTS of exercising & SMALL portions of food.
About Zoe’s retirement party – let’s start planning. First – WHERE should it be?
Can you get those cookies OUT of the house?
I’m with you. NOTHING to watch. Now that Simon is gone, I don’t think I’ll watch American Idol either. I can’t imagine anyone taking his place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jess1 View Post
I'm like Pollyanna about New Year's... LOVE the lists and the resolutions and the hope and the newness!
Better get rolling. I have an entire sack of candy and goodies that I received as gifts, in the freezer, hollering my name. I think I need to just donate them... and pronto. Otherwise, Christmas was very lovely, and I'm very glad it's finished!
Hi Donna,
So, what resolutions are you making this year? Mine is to spend LESS time playing computer solitaire. I think I am REALLY addicted to it & it worries me.
I agree with you about the goodies – get them OUT of the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrosey49 View Post
..i did have one cookie without frosting or sprinkels but the sugar did me in..tasted real good tho
..its still cold here..brrr whats everyones plans for new yrs eve,we used to go out to the local bar but we'd rather stay home now..hoping you have a great day rosey
Hi Rosey,
Sorry you couldn’t enjoy the cookie. How long will it be until you can eat sugar?
For New Year’s Eve, my DF and I are going to a Homewood Suites in Princeton (halfway between her house & mine – about 30 minutes away) and will do a jigsaw puzzle and enjoy the Jacuzzi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodLily View Post
This was a pretty good day eating-wise for me. I am back at work and able to stay very busy to help keep my mind off of food. It's after I get home that I get into trouble. I am setting a goal for myself to lose 5 lbs by the end of January. There, now that I've said it - I am committed to do it.
Hi Lily,
Good for you! Keep us posted on your progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynne View Post
Had one hilarious episode ~ Maddie dressed mommy up in her princess crown and clip on ear rings and then wanted mommy to put on one of the princess outfits. Mommy tried to explain that it was Maddie's size and wouldn't fit her. But Maddie got quite insistent that mommy put it on ~ and told her put one foot in, so Sara (mommy) had the skirt on one leg ~ Maddie wanted her to put both feet in ~ but of course it wouldn't fit ~ so Maddie got ticked off with mommy and took the crown away and told mommy that she had been very naughty. We all couldn't help but to burst out laughing.
Hi Gayle,
I LOVE the Maddie story. How old is she now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
Good Morning!
My headache was so bad in the night that I thought of going to the hospital. Yesterdays paper had an article about a new procedure called 'Cold Laser Therapy' by a Chiropractor. I have a appointment today at 2:15 to see if he can help me. I don't know why the doctor at the hospital never took x-rays? I don't think she knows what shes doing. I told DH this am that I'd make a appointment with my regular doctor after seeing what this guy today will do. Donna...you asked about my teeth, I hadn't thought of that being the problem. I go to the dentist on a regular basic, have my teeth checked and cleaned. Usually if I have a problem, my mouth lets me know. I've had numerous root canals so not many teeth left with the roots in them. Where did you see that article?
You all have a great day.
Bobbi,
Have you had an MRI? If not, you need to get one. Dr. Lynn says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellabella View Post
Lynn, Bobbi> – well, I’m just not sure when that’s going to be. I’m actually going to pay a visit to the Social Security office after the first of the year to see just what my options are there, and then I’ll come up with a plan for myself. So where would we get together? Rosey’s in Alaska, some of us are on the east coast, and others are everywhere in between. Should we try to pick an equidistant spot somewhere in the middle, or should we just pick a place that we’d all like to go – maybe someplace crazy like Las Vegas (?), that has cheap flights from just about everywhere in the world, and there’s always the Grand Canyon nearby – or maybe someplace altogether different? OMIGOD, Rosey, by the time we do this, you’ll be a mere shadow of your former self! We can celebrate THAT, too! Food for thought, eh?Z
I am going to try doing a survey. Let’s see what everyone thinks.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:01 PM   #202  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All...
Oh, I'll be ready for January! I'm getting really tired of this color!

My vote for our PT/Zoe Retirement Celebration would be someplace mid-states... and that's purely pecuniary! I'd dearly love to go to Alaska, but in lieu of that, maybe we could go visit Bristol Palin in Maricopa, AZ (she just bought a 5-bedroom house, plenty of room for us)? My brother lives there, too; we could take tents and camp out in his desert! Wherever, it would be great fun!

Bobbi, I don't remember exactly where I saw the dental/migraine article, but there's a lot of info available. I googled "teeth and migraines" and pulled up a lot. Something is going on! I hope you can get some answers... soon.

I really don't do resolutions, Lynn. They last approximately 28.573 seconds, so why bother? However, I do love the idea of starting over every year! I bought a kitty stroller (MY Christmas present to myself) and am planning (resolving?) to take SamCat for walks on a regular basis. He might not be at all interested or cooperative, but it would be good for me. Haha! We'll see! At the least, his screaming will make me walk faster, to get back home! (PT/Zoe, are you having graphic images?)

Year end paperwork is looming and the house is a PIT, so I'd better get rolling!

Everyone, be warm and dry and safe... think snow for us and no-snow for you!

Last edited by jess1; 12-28-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:15 PM   #203  

Hi Everyone,

I just posted a Golden Girls get-together survey.

Lynn
Old 12-28-2010, 01:26 PM   #204  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Howdy all.....Have my ears back. Can't believe had no hearing aids for whole holiday. Have to get used to having them in all over again. Sitting here trying to smile and feel cheerful....grrrr...wanted to make reservations for us/dinner Friday night. Suggusted to Dh that we ask another couple....and went off to get aids back. Well, that was a mistake...he called 2 other couple and invited them, too.....but nobody gave a yes or no answer...going call back within the hour(that was at 10am). So still haven't made reservations for a dinner with a bunch of people I really am not fond of who may or may not be going. At this rate the place will be full.....I hope!

Lynn....the doggy beer is really dog food/juice. It is chicken brooth with vitamins in it. It looks just like a regular 6 pack of beer. We regifted it because dash is allergic to chicken. It tickled us and ditto on the next recipient. We celebrated Christmas with the family on Christmas eve and i loved going in to work christmas day. Quiet and usually easy and DH had the hassle of kids using up their batteries and crankiness from Christmas overload.

Zoe....At this point I'll go anywhere to celebrate your retirement. Have got cabin fever big time. I love lobster can I come to your house NYE?

Jessie....The pal of DH from Trinada is trying to refrost a frozen pipe down here. Must admit that made me giggle...

Gayle....electric shaver? but he is only 5! They grow up much too fast!

Can't decide what to do for NY Day dinner. My family always had roast pork, DH had roast goose and scalloped oysters. Have hankering for real MD crab cakes. Have to have black eyed peas.

Bobbie....what did your doctor say? This going on much too long. Demand answers NOW!

One more day of cold weather down here. It was in the 20's last night. We had go turn on neighbor's heat last night. They have new house and last year they left the heat off and pipe in heat pump froze. Turned the heat off again when they left last week. You'd think that leaving it on low would be cheaper than a plumber???

Zoe in the summer if I buy an orange in grocery store it's from CA. But in Jan if you get a chance to have a honeybell try them....OMG are they wonderful.

Gotta check out the freezer for dinner. My next life am either gonna have a cook or a wife....sighhhhhhh hugs, karen3

Last edited by Karen3; 12-28-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:05 AM   #205  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Been up a while ~ couldn't sleep ~ stuff on my mind. Worries about my parents. They are in a financial mess ~ low income/fixed income elderly. Anticipating difficulties with my brother, as he feels it should be handled one way, and I am probably not going to be able to do things the way he thinks it should be done. What a nightmare. Wish I would wake up and it would all be fixed.

Sorry to be so glum here. Thank you for listening.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:22 AM   #206  

Hi Gayle,

My parents died young (they were both 61), so we never had to deal with the problems of aging parents. However, MANY of my friends went through this. I know how difficult this is. My best wishes are with you and your family.

Lynn
Old 12-29-2010, 11:28 AM   #207  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

And a cheerful...or at least not a kvetching and whining...good morning to all! Oh, yes, I am at my desk, sun shining through the window behind me, and a beautiful view of the parking lot...who could ask for anything more...? Well, ME, I suppose, but why go to the trouble? I just <gulp> paid my $100 speeding ticket that I got back on the 6th of the month while on my way west to Springfield on the 'Pike. I thought I had 30 days to pay or appeal, but guess what - only had 20, so I was a few days overdue. BUT, even though they refused to take my payment online, I sat through 20 minutes of elevator music on the phone and then, finally, got a live person who must've had a good Christmas or something, because they didn't assess me any late fees, and I just paid the $100 and that was that. Sort of wipes out a good portion of my mileage reimbursement at the end of the month, but c'est la vie, I guess. Could've been way worse, after all.
So many people took this week off that it's sort of like what working in a cemetery or something must be like. There are a FEW people here, but they're far and few in between. Not so bad, actually. I could get used to it. More to the point, I could get used to working at home - telecommuting is what I believe it's called. I may discuss this with my employers after the first of the year. Just seems silly to come in here to do what I can just as easily do at home. The writing part, I mean. I would still have to drive out to some meetings, and come in to headquarters for meetings as well, but at least I could eliminate SOME of the excessive driving that I currently do. THIS WEEK, for example, I could just as easily be at home doing what I'm doing.
Ah, well. We'll see what the new year brings. I've actually had some folks approach me about fee-for-service consulting gigs, and while I certainly don't care to take on any more work while I'm working HERE full time, I might just go ahead and retire - maybe in June - and supplement my income (and relieve any boredom that might develop) by doing some consulting work.
Oh, Gayle, sorry to hear about the problems with your parents! Mine died some time ago, so I don't have that problem, but I am very cognizant of the fact that if I live long enough, my own kids may have to make similar decisions about my care. Hopefully, I'll have things figured out and settled well enough so that they don't have to be burdened with it. Sorry to hear that trying to find the proper resolution may have you and your brother at odds with one another. I'm sure that's not what your parents ever intended.
In the final analysis, I suppose one ends up doing the thing that has the best chance of being right for all concerned. Once done, the chips have to fall where they may.
Karen3, I believe we're dining at dd's this New Year's eve, but by all means, come on along - bring sunshine & orange juice, please (and maybe a crate or two of those honeybells?)
A kitty Stroller, PT???? Now, that I really need to see! Pictures, please! (Preferably with Samcat in the stroller). I hope it's made of durable material. I must say that the image that came to mind was one of canvas or some such hanging in shreds from an aluminum frame!
I posted my answers to your poll, Lynn. Methinks it would be pretty neat to all get together, retirement or no retirement - let's say by the end of 2011? Maybe a nice post-Christmas long 3-day weekend somewhere warm?
I hope your head is better, Bobbi. I know I'm getting rather concerned here...surely SOMEBODY can get to the bottom of what's causing those headaches and DO SOMETHING to relieve them! Please update us?
Hasta la vista, GG's....and heigh ho Silver!!! (Who WAS that masked man?)

Z
Old 12-29-2010, 12:36 PM   #208  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All.....
Nothing of any import to impart...

We're still waiting with bated breath for some (any!) flakiness! Maybe tomorrow, so sayeth the WeatherFools......... It seems ridiculous to be watering the lawn and the trees in DECEMBER!

PT/Zoe, telecommuting sounds ideal, especially as nutso as Mama Nature is this year! Good luck with your boss!

Blah, blah, blah, and blah..... obviously, I have nothing to say, so just stay warm, dry, and safe! Happy Wednesday!

Last edited by jess1; 12-29-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:21 PM   #209  

Morning everyone..still cold here,suppose to snow..im feeling more like myself and have even started some of my favorite projects..my parents are both gone too but have started thinking of our own later years and preparing for them..nothing new going on here same-o same-o,(((hugs))) to all rosey
Old 12-29-2010, 03:43 PM   #210  

Good afternoon Girls,

The snow is melting here! It's cold, but they say it might get up into the 40's later this week. Better hurry, todays Wed. Any way, the sun is out and it looks cheerful. Nothing much going on here. I was supposed to work today but got a L/C day. Wasn't expecting that, since there was only 4 nurses on, but we were down to 15 patients. Not all that unusual at this time of year. Everyone wants to be home. Took the tree down and later I'll take the Christmas village down and do some cleaning. Should leave it up a bit longer, but I have to say I'm a little tired of it.

Who said they were watching the Jesse Stone movie the other night? LOVE it! I will surely miss them. Maybe they will make more movies of the books already written. But I wanted him to write one more in the series, where he finally gets over his ex-wife and moves on. maybe gets together with Sunny? His death was a shock. Anyone know what happened?

Rosey, Glad to hear that you are feeling better. It should get a little better every day. I'm sure you can already feel the difference, but by spring girl, you are going to be doing things you haven't been able to do in some time! Looking forward to hearing about it.

Gayle, I feel for you girl. I know my mom is getting worse every day, or so it seems. I talked to her over Christmas and she is even admitting that she can't remember anything any more. Different problem, but when it's our family, it emotional. Your brother will just have to understand that everyone's circumstances are different.

Z, My DIL works from home. It does have it's advantages. Like working in your PJ's. Not buying lunches. Not traveling. Talk to your boss and see if it can be done. She does have to go to the hospital occasionally, but 1 day a month sure beats every day. And hog jaws are something like ham hock. They are both pork. Very Southern.

Karen3, You know we have to give husbands instructions. left on their own they make horrible mistakes. Hope you had a nice dinner any way. If there's a problem and he invited a bunch of people you don't care for, turn your hearing aids off. Tha's what my grandpa used to do.

Donna, I'll just let you go visit Bristol palan. You can tell us all about the facinating conversation you have.

Lynn, We've been doing a lot of puzzles this winter. I'm working New Years but maybe after work I'll pull one out and DH can order out.

Bobbi, Hope you've gotten some relief from the headaches. The Dr. really neads to take more action after this long. And yes, your teeth can cause a lot of headaches and earaches. But bad sinus problems can also. And mimic a tooth ache. Body is a mysterious thing.

Everyone, make it a good day,

Freda
Closed Thread