Old 07-18-2010, 10:12 AM   #151  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning Everyone,

Will see my "Little Sister" today. Taking her and her son to Chuckie Cheese. Check back later.

Lynn
ladyinweighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:55 PM   #152  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

I updated the book list and made a copy to take to the library with me. I'm stopping there this afternoon to pick up more on the list. Reading is soooooooo much fun.
Have a great Sunday everyone.
P.S. I was really naughty yesterday, it was 109 degrees with the heat index and we were out side working a rummage sale. We had Banana Split Blizzards and grilled chicken, cheese and bacon sandwiches from the Dairy Queen. Before you ask, YES I ATE IT ALL!
Bobbolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:26 PM   #153  

Height: 5'3"

Wow Bobbi I can't believe you ate all that!! LOL Have to admit it sounds really good to me, esp the Blizzard!! I love the peanut butter cup blizzards and haven't had one for oh, too long!

I've been overeating last several days now...have to get back on track. I was thinking, this SHOULD be so easy...you know, just say NO! So why is it so hard for me to do that?!!! My dd told me eat more throughout the day...well I eat all I can. I only can eat so much of protein and fat without carbs and I can only eat my prescribed amount of carbs since I am diabetic. I am eating according to the dietician's plan I was given when I took the diabetic classes.

Then my dd says go to bed earlier. Since Joe's accident we have been going to bed earlier ...which for us is about 10-10:30. I notice now that he is doing better we are starting to get more back back to our usual time...11-11:30. If I go to bed earlier I just toss and turn, can't sleep. I realize if I started getting up really early I'd probably be able to adjust in time, but we prefer to sleep in until about 8 am if we are not going anywhere and since our sleep is so interrupted recently we have been sleeping even later. Besides, I don't want this diet thing to be a temporary fix...I want it to be a lifestyle and I know I won't want to go to bed early and get up early the rest of my life. Somehow I have to figure out a way to change myself so I can settle on one snack every evening and limit it to that no matter when I go to bed.

I have tried to think of why I overeat at this one time of day when I do so well the rest of the day. I can think of these things that MAY contribute:

1. During the day I know there will always be another meal within 2-5 hours. In the evening I realize I won't eat until morning and that seems like a very long time...maybe I will regret not eating?!! (wish I could remember that I will also regret eating so much!!)

2. Sometimes I will accidentally go over on my calories (or carbs) and then I will think, too late now, I'll just eat what I want and do better tomorrow. I know, I know, bad thinking! The problem is that if all my calories or carbs are gone I can't imagine getting through the evening without eating, but I realize I could at least just eat less.

3. Occasionally (not much anymore) something upsetting will happen during the day and as evening comes on I will think of it and I think I turn to food to feel better. As I say this is rare but I know there are better ways to handle these things.

4. And this may be the biggest one of all...TV. I'm not a big TV watcher, but I usually watch at least one hour show most nights and I associate eating with watching TV. Always have. Before I got serious about dieting I used to eat almost non-stop from dinner til bedtime! In those days I also watched more TV.

5. Something yummy is in the house. Can't blame it all on TV, cause the a couple nights ago I binged on granola just cause I liked it and I wasn't watching TV. But I really liked it and when I really like something I think I have to eat it ALL! Can be granola or other cereal, crackers and buttery spread, pb sandwiches...and of course any baked goods and chips if they are in the house but usually they are not.

6. Boredom. Always used to say I am rarely bored, but have to admit any more that even though there are things I could do, I sometimes don't want to do them. I sometimes even get tired of the internet (yes really!) and want to watch TV but am not interested in what my dh is watching, so I turn to food instead of reading or whatever. Or I read and eat more likely!

Obviously I have a discipline problem...trouble denying that inner child.. regardless of which if these "causes" me to eat. Today I listened to a PeerTrainer tape and it was asking what is the one thing you need to change to lose weight...easy for me...it's evening eating. The rest of the day I usually do fine.

Sorry you are probably all bored reading this (don't turn to food! LOL) but guess I needed to vent.

Last edited by maryea; 07-18-2010 at 08:28 PM.
maryea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:14 AM   #154  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Morning Girls!
Blah.....back to the grind. Fri/Sat/Sun were not good for me either Mary. I'm up 1.5 pounds which I deserve. No one held a gun to my head, some of the things you listed happen to all of us. I can't get to sleep without something in my tummy, usually I eat a dry bowl of honey nut cheerios. I eat one cheerio at at time, that takes up a bunch of time and satisfies me. Popcorn works too, can you save some carbs for air popped popcorn at night Mary? Eating popcorn one kernel at a time works too.
Quote:
Obviously I have a discipline problem...trouble denying that inner child.. regardless of which if these "causes" me to eat.
Lynn...how was chucky cheese? Glad your summer work is over for awhile.
Freda...I did order one of the books online, our library didn't have it and sent for it. I like the idea of books sent to my house, I'm going to look into that since we live out in the country.
Donna...Maxine has another joke for you about relatives, "I love everything about family picnics! Except the heat, the food, the flies and the family."
Nice picture of you and family, how old is your grandmother? How nice that all her grandkids come home to see her/family.
Quote:
I'm going to attempt to post the picture of all five sibs and Granny. We haven't all been together in years!

Karen...I just went in and tried this exercise with 5 lb. weights. It didn't do anything for my abd muscles but I could feel it in my bicepts. Maybe I wasn't doing it right. Do you hold your arms up toward the ceiling and then down to your sides or all the way over your head and touching the bedspread?
Quote:
I lay on the bed with legs over the edge. and lift 2 lb weights over my head and back to sides. You can feels the abd muscles screaming. What they do call it....oh core muscles!

Zoe...Never heard of that pub and don't know any restaurant that serves these. I printed off some copies of the recipe for my bone building class and only one other person had even heard of them. I suggested they try mixing it with regular mashed potatoes to begin with and gradually go all cauliflower.
Quote:
there’s a restaurant chain that may or may not be out where you are – Pub 99 – that serves mashed cauliflower just as you described. I don’t know why I never thought to serve it at home! I used to get it all the time when I was counting carbs, and though it works for low carbs, it ALSO works for low calories, and I never thought about that!

I purchased some close-out perennials last week and still haven't planted them, I gotta get busy.
Hi everyone I missed, have a skinny week!

Bobbolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:10 AM   #155  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

G’morning, everyone! Mary, you are far from alone in your propensity for evening snacking. In fact, we even share many of the same triggers. The few exceptions, in my case, would be the daytime awareness of another meal on the horizon. Since I’m still working, I tend to be busy with meetings and such – or just plain having to concentrate on what I’m writing – to worry overmuch about eating. I always eat a REALLY good breakfast – my Greek yogurt with a cup of Fiber One cereal mixed into it along with another cup or so of fresh blueberries, which have been abundant for the past month. I’m going to HATE it when blueberry season has gone by! Lunch is usually a small bowl of my homemade soup (this latest batch is the V8 juice and cabbage one) and a couple of pieces of 60 calorie, high fiber pita bread. Lunch usually gets eaten on the fly in between meetings or projects, and sometimes it doesn’t get eaten at all. THEN, it’s home to supper and an evening of fighting the snack triggers. I have even less excuse than you, because I get home anywhere between 5 and 6:00, have supper between 7 and 8, and go to bed, most week nights, by 9:30 or 10:00 because I get up at 5. Now, weeknights really are somewhat easier than the weekends for me, because there IS a much smaller window of opportunity to snack, but there are times when “oops, too late now – I’ve already gone over!” kicks in, or there’s something yummy in my house that calls my name with increasing urgency until I go and get myself some – or all – of it. Boredom can play a role with me, too. I can’t claim that I’m bored a whole lot, but when I am, my thoughts most definitely turn to the refrigerator. I’m not so sure, though, that it’s a discipline problem, Mary – or if there might be a little more to it than that. My suspicion is that there’s SOME need that we’re trying to meet with food that actually has nothing at all to do with food – or self discipline. If we could figure it out somehow, and figure out how to meet it with something other than food, wouldn’t it be grand?
Well, this weekend really flew by for sure. Took our granddaughter to Newport, RI for the day on Saturday, got in some good beach time at a little private beach that very few people know about, and therefore it isn’t overrun with beach-goers except for us, of course, a few other fortunate explorers, and a few seagulls. There’s a horseshoe-shaped beach and a lot of rocks jutting out into the water that we enjoy climbing and sunbathing on. When we were through at the beach, we took a 5:00 “ghost tour” of Belcourt Castle, one of the lesser Newport mansions, mainly because they had a sign out for the tour and my granddaughter was enthusiastic about going. I didn’t expect much, and therefore, wasn’t disappointed. Pretty lame, actually, and oppressively hot and humid to the point of outright discomfort mid-way through the overly-long and really quite boring tour. You can check out Belcourt Castle online, but don’t believe anything you read. It looks to me like the owner is needing to bring in money, and has tried to peddle this idea of ghosts and such in order to do so. Very contrived, to say the least. The day resumed its “fun” quality once we left Belcourt and headed for the downtown wharf area, where we poked in and out of the shops, picking up a trinket there and a scarf there, had a nice shore dinner (and yes, like Bobbi, I ate it all!!!!!) and headed home at @ 9:00. On Sunday, DH and I were both feeling the need to keep things laid back, and so I went down to our local lake park by myself and read “South of Broad” for a while, and then came home, grazed on a bit of lunch and then <gulp> DH & I drove over to “Gibby’s Homemade Ice Cream Barn” and had ourselves a couple of waffle cones. My ice cream was strawberry cheesecake. To die for. (Yep, ate all of that, too!) I am, of course, back to very careful eating again this morning.
Lynn, I am no aficionado of weddings, either. Especially very ostentatiously expensive ones. I keep thinking about all the money spent on one day, and how it could’ve been put to so much better use. I’ve known couples who could barely afford rent on a one-bedroom apartment, but plan – and execute – extravagant weddings for themselves. Granted, Mum and Dad were footing the bill, but why not have them put up the down payment on a house instead? At least a house lasts more than one day? Oh, well, I never claimed to be much of a romantic, and the older I get, the less romantic I feel.
Nice family picture, PT. Nice to spend some time together when you can, for sure. But you’re right – brief visits are definitely the way to go when it comes to family. I love my son & his fiancée dearly, but I do detect some feelings of strain recently. Probably the most strain is around meals, since DH & I tend to eat at a certain time every night, and my son & his fiancée tend to be a lot more inclined to eat when they get hungry rather than because it’s “suppertime”. So I’ve kind of had to adjust to their “maybe” being there and maybe not. Hard to plan how much to cook that way.
Actually, Lynn, your suspicion that we all might show up for my retirement party in the same outfit got me to thinking. We’re not the “Red Hat Society”, but we ARE the “Golden Girls”. Maybe we need gold hats and lapel pins or something. This deserves some additional thought, don’t you think? What does everyone else think?
DH loves key lime pie, Karen3, but I’ve never attempted to make it. That recipe of yours sounds do-able, and I think I’ll give it a twirl. I’ll let you know how it comes out – and thanks!
Hi Rosey! My, that pizza sounded good! (I’d better stop thinking about food, eh?)
Well, this has become a novelette, hasn’t it? Sorry, girls. Have a great day, y’all, and the rest of you best think about checking in soon!

Z
ellabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:13 AM   #156  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Morning all...DH went fishing and Dash and I slept in. Nice to have the house to moi. That is one of the big diffs after he retired. I miss alone time.

Cooked and deboned a 14lb turkey. Frozen the chunks to take with us for the dog. Hopefully we can leave for NC on Thursday. Hope hope hope

Bobbie....I lay on my back and dangle my legs over the side and lift the weights from my side to spread back of my head. It feels like am stretching a band between belly and knees. It helps me because have a history of low back problems and back is totally supported. I do the knee to chin stretch every am before getting up even. Sighhhhhh getting old sucks!

I washed all my dark clothes yesterday and found had washed a kleenx with them. What a mess. Have wee white balls on everything. So stupid of me. grrr

Be back later for personnals...hugs karen3

Last edited by Karen3; 07-19-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Karen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:21 AM   #157  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Oh, wanted to attach this - my granddaughter & I at our favorite spot in Newport. Such a perfect place to recharge your batteries!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newport.jpg (44.1 KB, 13 views)
ellabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:04 AM   #158  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All...
PT/Zoe, what a serene picture! You and your GD are both veritable sun goddesses! Bobbi, the woman in the picture is my mother. We've called her Granny forEVER... she's 87. I think we're all wearing.... yes... but not too badly?

Nothing much. I'm not moving, because it's too hot. Therefore, I'm catching up on DVR recordings and reading. I'm nearly finished with South of Broad... PT/Zoe, what do you think? I wish I could read for longer periods of time, but the eyes don't work like they should and get tired way too fast. I'm enjoying the book.

Anyone heard from Isabella, aka the GGPhantom? KarenMOFLO, Freda, Lynn, everyone...... hope all is well. Stay COOL......... be safe.
jess1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:38 PM   #159  

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryea View Post
Wow Bobbi I can't believe you ate all that!! LOL Have to admit it sounds really good to me, esp the Blizzard!! I love the peanut butter cup blizzards and haven't had one for oh, too long!

I've been overeating last several days now...have to get back on track. I was thinking, this SHOULD be so easy...you know, just say NO! So why is it so hard for me to do that?!!! My dd told me eat more throughout the day...well I eat all I can. I only can eat so much of protein and fat without carbs and I can only eat my prescribed amount of carbs since I am diabetic. I am eating according to the dietician's plan I was given when I took the diabetic classes.

Then my dd says go to bed earlier. Since Joe's accident we have been going to bed earlier ...which for us is about 10-10:30. I notice now that he is doing better we are starting to get more back back to our usual time...11-11:30. If I go to bed earlier I just toss and turn, can't sleep. I realize if I started getting up really early I'd probably be able to adjust in time, but we prefer to sleep in until about 8 am if we are not going anywhere and since our sleep is so interrupted recently we have been sleeping even later. Besides, I don't want this diet thing to be a temporary fix...I want it to be a lifestyle and I know I won't want to go to bed early and get up early the rest of my life. Somehow I have to figure out a way to change myself so I can settle on one snack every evening and limit it to that no matter when I go to bed.

I have tried to think of why I overeat at this one time of day when I do so well the rest of the day. I can think of these things that MAY contribute:

1. During the day I know there will always be another meal within 2-5 hours. In the evening I realize I won't eat until morning and that seems like a very long time...maybe I will regret not eating?!! (wish I could remember that I will also regret eating so much!!)

2. Sometimes I will accidentally go over on my calories (or carbs) and then I will think, too late now, I'll just eat what I want and do better tomorrow. I know, I know, bad thinking! The problem is that if all my calories or carbs are gone I can't imagine getting through the evening without eating, but I realize I could at least just eat less.

3. Occasionally (not much anymore) something upsetting will happen during the day and as evening comes on I will think of it and I think I turn to food to feel better. As I say this is rare but I know there are better ways to handle these things.

4. And this may be the biggest one of all...TV. I'm not a big TV watcher, but I usually watch at least one hour show most nights and I associate eating with watching TV. Always have. Before I got serious about dieting I used to eat almost non-stop from dinner til bedtime! In those days I also watched more TV.

5. Something yummy is in the house. Can't blame it all on TV, cause the a couple nights ago I binged on granola just cause I liked it and I wasn't watching TV. But I really liked it and when I really like something I think I have to eat it ALL! Can be granola or other cereal, crackers and buttery spread, pb sandwiches...and of course any baked goods and chips if they are in the house but usually they are not.

6. Boredom. Always used to say I am rarely bored, but have to admit any more that even though there are things I could do, I sometimes don't want to do them. I sometimes even get tired of the internet (yes really!) and want to watch TV but am not interested in what my dh is watching, so I turn to food instead of reading or whatever. Or I read and eat more likely!

Obviously I have a discipline problem...trouble denying that inner child.. regardless of which if these "causes" me to eat. Today I listened to a PeerTrainer tape and it was asking what is the one thing you need to change to lose weight...easy for me...it's evening eating. The rest of the day I usually do fine.

Sorry you are probably all bored reading this (don't turn to food! LOL) but guess I needed to vent.
Hi Mary,
I was NOT bored! I found this REALLY interesting. Will do it myself today.
About your post –
1. Over the years, I have realized that I have some kind of “fear” about being hungry. In general, I am NOT comfortable with my feelings. Would MUCH prefer to be in the realm of “thinking” than “feeling.” If you know about personality styles, I am an INTJ (introverted, sensing, thinking, judging). I am sure I associate feelings of hunger with negative feelings and want to avoid both. One of my strategies to overcome this was to let myself get hungry and describe the “state of feeling.” I came to see it as an “alternative state of being.” The “fear of hunger” lost some of its power over me when I did this.

2. There is a concept in business called “sunk cost.” The idea is that once you have already spent something, you cannot recover it – you can just change what you will spend from now on. Somehow, this concept helped me get over the idea of “OK – I blew it already – I might as well keep on blowing it.” Now, I kind of think to myself – “OK – I blew it up to now – Time to recover myself.”

3. Emotional eating – I have a rule for this. When I am going to do emotional eating, I have 2 choices – yogurt w Cool Whip or apple w peanut butter and raisins. If I have to eat from emotion, I am limited to what food it will be.

4. While I watch TV, I have computer on my lap and at every commercial, I play solitaire.

5. Yummy stuff in the house - I KNOW this is MUCH more of a problem for you married folks than for me. If I binge on it, it doesn’t get back in the house. There is NOTHING in my house that I have ever binged on. The only other eaters in my house are my cats & I have never been tempted to eat their food (luckily).

6. Boredom – TRULY dangerous. Sometimes, even when there are LOTS of things I could do, nothing seems REALLY interesting. I feel like I am stuck in front of the TV with absolutely NOTHING I am really interested in watching. I actually created a list of possible activities for this situation. It is below –

1) Go find someone on any 3FC Board who is in trouble & give them 10 ideas.

2) Go to www.dwlz.com & spend some time playing around there.

3) While you are in www.dwlz.com, download Weight Commander and spend time playing with it.

4) Make yourself a pot of herbal tea, put it in your best teapot and pour yourself several cups while you are on the computer.

5) Find a good meal recipe that is around 400 cals/serving; make it; package the servings in separate baggies; eat one.

6) Think of a good challenge you would like to set for yourself & post it on the 50+ Board. We'll join you in the challenge & it will be a lot easier to do it!

7) Identify 5 things you did today that were good/nice. Write them on an index card and put it on your refrigerator.

8) Go to at least one 3FC Board that you rarely visit & read through 1 page of messages.

9) Think of a goal that you could meet this week. Challenge yourself to do it.

10) Turn off TV, turn on some good music, lie back and spend 10 minutes imagining how you will spend a day after you meet your weight goal - be specific - start with when you wake up in the morning and go through day until bedtime.

Lynn
Old 07-19-2010, 12:41 PM   #160  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellabella View Post
Actually, Lynn, your suspicion that we all might show up for my retirement party in the same outfit got me to thinking. We’re not the “Red Hat Society”, but we ARE the “Golden Girls”. Maybe we need gold hats and lapel pins or something. This deserves some additional thought, don’t you think? What does everyone else think?Z
OK Zoe,

I am going to start looking for something that is appropriate for us Golden Girls.

Lynn
Old 07-19-2010, 12:45 PM   #161  

Hi Bobbi, Karen, Rosie, Isabella, Donna, and Everyone,

Wedding was AWFUL! HATE that LOUD music.

Chuckie Cheese was fun. Anthony Liam Rosales is adorable, funny, sweet, and LOVED anything that involved balls. We had a VERY fun time.

My sister is coming here tomorrow and will stay until Thursday. I may be offline until then.

Today, I am taking a friend to the doctor's to learn how to use her blood testing machine. She needs to check her blood to see how much blood thinner she needs to take. Doctor has tried to teach her how to use the machine, but she has not been able to learn. She believes she will be able to learn from me. We will see.

Have a great day,

Lynn
Old 07-19-2010, 01:23 PM   #162  

Good Afternoon All,

It's hot and humid here. I really wanted a walk outside, but if it doesn't cool off by evening, it's the treadmill for me. We were supposed to get cooler weather. If that lying weather man were here right now he would be in serious trouble!

Mary, we all have serious eating problems or we wouldn't be here. So we can understand and help each other. My hardest time is in the evenin too. I try to plan a snack so I don't get too hungry. If I know I am going to have something later I'm ok, I can wait. My WORST time is the evening after I work. The last 3 days I worked I got home at 8. Hadn't had anything to eat since 8:30-9:00 that mornning. i was starving, I was stressed, my legs were killing me! So, I ate. After one feeding frenzy I couldn't even remember what I ate the next morning. It's mindless. And even though I know why, I seem unable to stop it. If I am lucky enough to get a lunch break, and heaven forbid, my evening break, I'm ok. It just doesn't happen often. Another trigger is when I feel ill. Am I the only person on the planet that tries to make myself feel better by eating? Never works,,,

Bobbi, We all have "cheat" days, and I refuse to feel guilty. I do try not to over do, but if I want ice cream, I have ice cream. and I enjoy every bite. I do have a small. I don't use that as an excuse to go over board. But when you're out and there aren't too many choices, you do what you can. And start over the next day.

Donna, great family picture! So nice to get everyone together.

Lynn, Your comment about being hungry reminded me of when my sister (very overweight) told me she had never been hungry. She ate so much and so often she had no idea what the sensation felt like. And, like you, she worked through it. Found out that being a little hungry is what we are supposed to be and it won't kill you. Actually, food tasts so much better when you're a little hungry.

Karen, i'm going to try that recipe for key lime pie too. It sounds good and really refreshing on these hot days. And i'm going to try the exercise too. I also have a bad back and have to be careful.

Z, how old is your granddaughter? Mine is 7 and grandson is 10, and they are such a joy. It's hard not to have fun when they are around. Love the picture. I feel exactally the same way you do about weddings. Such a waste! All that money for one evening. Doesn't make you any more married, and it's a good down payment on a house. And I have been accused of not having a romantic bone in my body. Too practical? no such thing!! ha! Can you imagine the wonderful vacations you could take with the money a wedding costs? And most of the people that come don't like you any way.

Isabella, miss you...

Freda

Last edited by the slim me; 07-19-2010 at 01:25 PM.
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:59 PM   #163  

Morning everyone still raining here..we made an unexpected trip to anchorage yesterday..seems a reconcilleation (sp?) with oldest dd and family was brought about beuz of my dh..whata guy..anyways we went up and met at a coffee shop.. a bit awkward at first but i was so greatful for the oppurtunity and we got to bring my youngest gdd home with us..yayyy some progress altho guarded..i was sure pooped by the time we got home..the traffic was awful ..the dh has gone to his cabin.. i think hed had enuff of an all girl household.. works for me ..my eating however was way off yesterday..granola bars for lunch and coffee and then leftovers for dinner..was to pooped to deal..back on track today..zoe great pics of you and your grdd..they are so speacial arnt they..lynn i hate to be hungry too..i actually feel nauseated when im hungry..yuk..Bobbie my sister planted my planters for me when she was here..the flowers are doing ok inspite of all the rain but my new planter stakes are what makes me smile they are called "geeky birds" a treat for myself that makes me laugh when i look at them..hoping you all have a great day (((hugs))) rosey
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dads cabin 2010 412.jpg (50.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg dads cabin 2010 413.jpg (38.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg dads cabin 2010 417.jpg (23.6 KB, 7 views)
akrosey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:24 PM   #164  

OK, Mary,

I tried your exercise and found out something interesting. Maybe I am not getting below 155 because I have no reason to.

Here is what I came up with -

I have tried to think of why I have been unable to lose my last 10 pounds. I can think of these things that MAY contribute –

1) I can shop for clothes in store for general sizes and fit comfortably in most size 12 or petite size 14 clothes.

2) I have brought my blood pressure and blood sugar and cholesterol and triglycerides to normal levels.

3) People still congratulate me on losing the weight and keeping it off.

4) I have no longer have interest in attracting a man.

5) To keep to my current weight, I need to average around 1,200 calories/day with 60 – 120 minutes of exercise every day. To lose, I would need to lower the calories to around 1,000/day.

6) Other than having set a goal of 145 for myself, I am not sure why I want to get lower than 155 lbs.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:09 PM   #165  

Height: 5'3"

Hi everyone! Thanks for understanding about my rant. I am just trying so hard to understand why I often overeat in the evenings. Ok, I tried something last night. I do have good days when I don't get so hungry and have no problem sticking to my diet but my inconsistency is keeping me from really losing weight...I lose, gain back, lose again..over and over again. Maybe yesterday was just one of those good days so not sure I should say I have found the answer yet, but here's what I did last night:

I made a deal with myself ...kind like the rules you set for yourself Lynn, I'm kind of like that too (although I often break mine)....but I do feel that rules help me some times. Like during the day I have a rule that I eat three meals a day with snacks allowed after two hours in the am and about 3 hours in the afternoon and another snack about 8-9 pm. When I first retired I quickly got used to eating all day long! So I actually had to set my stove timer and not let myself eat until it went off! I was like the person someone else mentioned....I didn't know what hunger felt like anymore as I was always eating! I can SO relate to that! What I did at that time was I took The Lord's Table course at settingcaptivesfree.com and I chose to follow their optional eating plan and that taught me to sense my hunger again. So don't think that is really my issue now.

Z - I agree with you that often our eating is to try and fulfill some other need. I am a Christian believer and know that when I read the Bible and pray in time the the "mind-hunger" will go away and I will feel full. And I honestly love to do this and yet being the human I am I can easily get distracted by other things and not do it. But I truly believe that one of the reasons so many people are having food issues is due to spiritual hunger in our country/world. I realize this is not the Christian support forum but this does work for me when I do it.

Back to what I did last night...(see how easily I can get distracted?!!LOL)...I told myself that just like I eat every couple hours or so during the day I can do that in the evening if I really need to. I prefer not to eat after 9 pm and some days it will put me over on calories (didn't last night though) but decided it would be better to have one small snack at 10 or even 11 (bedtime) than sitting there gorging all evening! I decided if I went to bed at 10 I would not eat, but if we stayed up later (likely) I would have something. Sure enough we decided to stay up so at 10 I allowed myself a 40 cal snack. I wanted more but at least I didn't feel so deprived and we went to bed about 11:30 and I was satisfied with that. Remains to be seen whether it will always work but am hoping. The thing is whatever I do I want it to be something I can live with long-term as I expect to have to diet the rest of my life. I once went on a diet where I couldn't have any bread, pasta, pancakes, potatoes etc for several weeks and then they were gradually allowed back on ...I did lose weight but felt so hungry and deprived that I gained most of it back right away. I won't do that again unless I myself feel that I want and can give up a food temporarily or permanently.

Freda - yes it's important to me to plan my foods even my snacks. It's kind of another deal with myself..if I have my meals planned I do better. When I go out I try to remember my plan in a general way...carb, fruit/veg, protein, fat...and do the best I can. If I miss meals for some reason, I do the same as you though...mindless eating! Fortunately I don't work anymore and don't miss meals now. You are a nurse aren't you? I can remember it was very hard to get my meal when working as a nurse.

Lynn - you brought up some valid points and good suggestions. I too don't like the feeling of being hungry whether physical or mental. I like your business analogy...but what do YOU do when you blow it? Do you stop eating or just go back to your eating plan as if it hadn't happened? I'm a thinking person too and have to understand things before I can make them work. I'm like that in most of my life...it has to make sense to me...before I can do it, you know? That's why I am trying to figure this all out because I know when I do the answers will do..they always do. My usual pattern about any problem is to pray about it...asking God to clear my mind of any obstacles/anxiety whatever and drop in creative thoughts. Typing up that last post was part of that process..clarifying my thoughts. I used to write, now I type.

Last night after doing the above steps, I began to think of some possible ways of handling my problem. The one I used worked last night. I used to use my net book while watching TV but somehow got away from that...I will try that again. I think watching even less TV will help too...sometimes I catch myself watching a rerun and I think, duh, wasn't once enough? LOL I can spend that time reading my Bible and praying. I do drink herbal tea all day long and it does help until evening then not so much. Loved all your suggestions for boredom, Lynn and I will try them! I really like Dottie's site too! Did you know she is from where I live? I don't know her though except through her site and her emails.

Today I got my exercise, moving furniture around in the family room as I was spraying to prevent bugs from coming inside. I didn't even know it but my dh says he does this a couple times a year. (really appreciating my wonderful dh more and more through all this!) So since I was vacuuming in there anyway thought it was a good day to do it. Was going to do the living room next but got too tired...maybe later on or tomorrow.

It's a cooler day today..my computer says 63 but may reach low 70s. My dh wants to sit outside so I may water the plants/gardens.

Have a good rest of the day...thanks for all the support.

Last edited by maryea; 07-19-2010 at 05:15 PM.
maryea is offline   Reply With Quote