Old 07-10-2010, 10:02 AM   #91  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Happy Week-end Girls!
Just a quick note and I have to get out doors and weed the garden.
On Hungry Girls email today, they had suggestions for cake mixes and substitues for the oil. Check it out:
Chocolate cake with diet cherry cola
Spice cake with pumpkin
Yellow cake with applesauce, etc.
Bobbolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:48 AM   #92  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All...
Quick note from me, too. I do want to comment on the cake mixes and substitutes on HG. I tried the yellow cake with lemon-lime soda, and it was DISGUSTING. The consistency was gluey. It's always possible that I did something wrong, but there's not a lot of room for error in the very few ingredients. I'd be interested to hear results from others. It was a good thing for me, though, because it got trashed after the first bite!

The out-of-towners are visiting elsewhere today, so I have a day to do non-visiting things. I'm going to make my beans and fruit salad today so it can "gel" before the picnic tomorrow. They'll be here until Wednesday, but I'm going back to blessed deprivation on Monday and can't wait!

Cooperative temps, very pretty here!

Hope you all have a good weekend! Be safe.......
jess1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:28 AM   #93  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Just a quick tid bit of information this morning!!! LOL!!

Ideal husbands...

While creating husbands, God promised women that good and ideal husbands would be found in all corners of the world..........
And then God made the earth round.
Karen31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:14 PM   #94  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Bobbi, I'm sorry things are so difficult with your mother-in-law these days. Precisely why I, knowing my own potential for crabbiness and orneriness, am sincerely hopeful that I don't outlast my capacity for taking care of myself and my affairs. It's not that my kids can't stand me (yet!) or anything like that, but more ME being irritated and miserable, I'm afraid, because I won't be able to stand myself, you know? Also, they already have a penchant for telling me what I ought to do (and this, while I am still employed, and fully-functioning!) so I can't even imagine what it would be like to actually be dependent on any of them, and have them in control. No thanks! This, of course in no way reflects my thoughts on your problems with your MIL - I know they have been long-standing and ongoing, and it's not surprising to me that her nursing home is fed up. You and your DH have been dealing with it for sooooo long now - you must be worn to a frazzle.
Karen31, thanx for the compliments on my picture...I always look better with a little bit of tan. I know it's supposed to be horrible for your skin and all, but I don't think (keyword here is *think* of course!) I'm any more wrinkled than anyone else my age, whether they've taken care to stay out of the sun all their lives or not. As for the pool, and it only taking a couple of hours day to maintain, nobody in my family actually HAS a couple of hours a day to maintain a pool, so that about ended the argument for me on the spot. DD and her husband both work (she only part-time, but the days she's home, she's catching up on housework and chasing those twins and taxiing her daughter to all her activities) and while they might enjoy taking a dip at night after everything else is done, maintenance would definitely be an added burden for them. So, I guess we'll let that thought ride for a couple more years.
Rosey, my eldest daughter and I aren't too chummy, either, so you're far from alone in your issues with DD. Mine appears to have resolved her issues with her father (my ex, whom I can't tolerate) and prefers his company to mine, and I say "so be it". I'm here - if she wants to see or talk to me, she knows how to stop by or call. If not, that's her choice. Oh, sure, it hurts some, but this has been going on forever with her, and I guess I've reached the saturation point with all the drama - now, I just don't think much about it any more.
Mary, I think that's the point - OUR group just never gives up. We may take three steps forward and one step back, but we keep going because we refuse to settle for just being bigger than we want to be for the rest of our lives. And yeah...somehow, we have developed these stupid food addictions...who was talking about hypnosis? Was it you? Well, I just sent for a Paul McKenna CD. I'll report back on how it works.
Jeeze, Lynn!!!!! Water, water, water.....if I'm not mistaken, you've preached that yourself more than once. I can see that we'd better keep an eye on you.....from now on, I expect you to check in here daily, even if it's only to say all is well, you hear???? Grrrrrrrrr!
PT, isn't it a shame that ALL cakes and cookies and such don't get tossed in the trash after that first bite??? We'd all be as slim and svelte as we wanna be, right? Well, enjoy your visitors (I kind of know the feeling of being glad to see folks, but at the same time, a little discombobulated at having your life interrupted).
Hiya Freda, Isabella, Bootsie & Jo....have a great Saturday!

Z
ellabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:29 PM   #95  

Height: 5'3"

Just a quick post because I have much to do. Yes Ellabella, it wasme who mentioned the hypnosis. I have been listening to them for a few days now although I did miss a day or two and I know you are suppose to be consistent esp in the beginning. Normally I just feel relaxed and sleepy and can hear her voice and when she says open your eyes I do. I don't feel like I'm in a trance or anything. Can't tell it is working as far as my cutting back on food or anything. For the most part I have kept to my plan though except for a couple nights (one last night) when I binged on crackers and spread. I do hear her voice in my head when I'm considering eating but it's just like a memory and I can override it (obviously..the crackers!)

But yesterday afternoon it was different. I think maybe I fell asleep. I listened to two tracks...the first one just like normal, the second one I remember the beginning but nothing else after that. When I opened my eyes the tape was over. She says it doesn't work if you go to sleep you have to be awake and open to the suggestions or something like that. So not sure whether my experience was due to the hypnosis ...like maybe I was deeper into it than usual or if I just went to sleep. I tend to think I just was so relaxed I went to sleep, but it is very unusual for me to go to sleep during the day. Ellabella and others who have used hypnosis, what was your experience..did you hear the voice the whole time or did you not? Just curious.

Last edited by maryea; 07-10-2010 at 03:29 PM. Reason: typo
maryea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:06 PM   #96  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryea View Post
Just a quick post because I have much to do. Yes Ellabella, it wasme who mentioned the hypnosis. I have been listening to them for a few days now although I did miss a day or two and I know you are suppose to be consistent esp in the beginning. Normally I just feel relaxed and sleepy and can hear her voice and when she says open your eyes I do. I don't feel like I'm in a trance or anything. Can't tell it is working as far as my cutting back on food or anything. For the most part I have kept to my plan though except for a couple nights (one last night) when I binged on crackers and spread. I do hear her voice in my head when I'm considering eating but it's just like a memory and I can override it (obviously..the crackers!)

But yesterday afternoon it was different. I think maybe I fell asleep. I listened to two tracks...the first one just like normal, the second one I remember the beginning but nothing else after that. When I opened my eyes the tape was over. She says it doesn't work if you go to sleep you have to be awake and open to the suggestions or something like that. So not sure whether my experience was due to the hypnosis ...like maybe I was deeper into it than usual or if I just went to sleep. I tend to think I just was so relaxed I went to sleep, but it is very unusual for me to go to sleep during the day. Ellabella and others who have used hypnosis, what was your experience..did you hear the voice the whole time or did you not? Just curious.
Hi Mary,

My DH died 4 years ago, but was ill for 2 years before he died. During that time, I was his caretaker. To try to deal with the stress, I got a CD from a group called Relaxintuit - The Present. It helped me a LOT. I almost always fell asleep while listening.

My understanding with self-help tapes/CD's is that you accrue the benefits even if you are asleep. I believe that your subconscious keeps listening and learning.

Lynn
ladyinweighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:06 PM   #97  

Height: 5'1"

Hi Ladies,

Worked Friday and it's always our busy day. Lots of discharges, which means lots of admissions. Had a horrible day. Good thing I ate breakfast before it started getting crazy. I had 2 boiled eggs and a can of V8 at 8:30. That is the last time I sat down or ate untill I got home at 8 that night. I tried to remember what I ate when I got home but I can't remember. I think I was so stressed and so tired I just Zoned out. Today was a little cooler, but still warmer than I expected. Went to watch DGD's baseball game. My Ds and another dad is coaching and the girls (all girls team) have really learned a lot this year. First year for most of them. Fun to see them emprove every week.

Lynn, can't believe you got dehydrated! More water, fluid, lady!!! And besides, it helps controle your appetite. We often mistake thirst for hunger.

Mary, I agree with Lynn, I think listening to the tapes help even if you are asleep. I know one of my nursing instructors told us to go over material we found difficult just before bed. And yes, it helped! Have you looked on line at Gymboree for baby clothes on sale. They have darling things and their sales are great. All the other outlets have good sales too. Do you live near an outlet?

Looks like several of us have grown "kids" that we've had emotional problems with. I know we did with our son for awhile. Over his wife that later left him. It takes them awhile to grown up, admit that they have faults that aren't OUR fault. We are very close again. I hope your KIDS grown up soon too.

Bobbi, I believe that most nasty young people grown up and grow old to become nasty old people. Alheizers makes them worse. I draw the line at how much they can expect from the people they treated so badly.

Rosie, It's never too late to get healthy. And there are lots of things I wish I hadn't, or had done. Can't change the past, only live the best I can in the future.

Karen3, What is a Santaclause mellon? Am I the only one that doesn't know?

Jo, I love books too and have a hard time putting them down when I start. I listen to books when I walk outside too and have been know to go a little further than usual just to listen to a chapter I don't want to wait the next day for.

Freda

Last edited by the slim me; 07-10-2010 at 07:16 PM.
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:43 PM   #98  
Jo

S/C/G: 177/173/135

Height: 5'2"

Evening ladies,

Another beautiful day here in the beautiful Pacific Northwest clear sunny and 80. Days like this make up for the 300 days of shades of gray.

The Paul McKenna CD sounds interesting…at the moment I could use some motivational speaking. I’m also glad that this is a group that refuses to quit; that’s exactly what I need. I’m having one of those tough days trying to stay out of the kitchen. Even the lemon soda yellow cake sounds good at the moment My choices this first week have been healthy and the portions wise, I’ve even dropped a few lbs, but evenings are always a challenge for me. Gonna to have to take it one minute at a time tonight. Funny but knowing I’m not alone and that I will be accountable all of you helps…thank you.

Freda, sorry your day was so tough yesterday, sounds like you work in a hospital. My oldest son Mike and his wife Kate are both kind gentile souls who work in the OR; he’s a surgical assistant and she’s an RN. I’ve been there when they’ve come home from a 12 hour shift constantly on their feet and they still find time to cuddle and play with their toddler Brendan. I’m so appreciative of all the wonderful care givers out there! Thanks from those of us who faint at the sight of blood .

Alzheimer’s is such a tragedy, and my brothers and sisters and I suspect my mother may be afflicted. She’s lived very independently for the last 10 years in FL. We’re probably going to have to force her to sell her little home and return to the cold of CT where my siblings live. The thought of her losing her independence breaks my heart and I’m concerned that her stubbornness will overshadow her joy of life.

Finished Outlander…enjoyed it just as much this week as I did 15 years ago. Downloaded Dragonfly in Amber from the online library and will start right after this post.

Have a great evening, Jo
Stitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:37 PM   #99  

S/C/G: 230/228/145

Hello everyone, I was going to get 5 dogs a bath today but the 3rd dog, that is 18 years old needed some special care and i had to give him a bath first then let him dry and of course he had to take a roll in the hay and then very carefully cut his hair for he is so old and his hair was matted, what a mess but i got it done. Tried the clippers no way was they going through that mess so had to cut it very carefully.He feels better but tomorrow I intend to finish him up, give him another bath and take the clippers to him this time, they should work this time. He has a bunch of hair on his belly that needs to come off. I just cannot figure out how he gets his hair this way. Someone threw him out 18 years ago and he adopted me.
Then I got to figure out how to get my border collie done that looks like a bulldog with a border collie head, she is as wide as she is tall. I may have to buy a halter off my husband for her, then I got to get Big Lee done, he will probably have a ball getting a bath he wanted one today.
I need to clean the barn out to tomorrow, gonna stay up and do our news letter tonight for our store and put up some things.
It sure is hot but sure did enjoy what rain we got in the last few days.
Bootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:05 PM   #100  

Height: 5'3"

I listened to the same hypnosis tape today and didn't fall asleep. I could remember hearing about the first 1/3 I'd say of it yesterday but the rest of it although I've heard it before I'm sure I didn't hear yesterday...but perhaps as you say it went into my head...so I do think I fell asleep. At least I would think if it were the hypnosis that made me forget it would have happened today too, but I don't know for sure. I have not noticed any changes in my eating though in fact the last couple days I have overeaten. I do that 1-2 times a week so it is just my usual pattern but I do hope I start noticing some changes soon. I took the tapes on a trial basis and they said they are guaranteed or I can return them.

Last edited by maryea; 07-10-2010 at 11:06 PM.
maryea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:19 PM   #101  

S/C/G: 230/228/145

I am having a hard time keeping up with everyone but trying, Alzheimer’s is such a terrible disease. I pray I never get it. They say sometimes they get violent that have it but when I worked at a retirement home everyone seemed to be touched with it and bless their hearts they were so sweet. Just fell in love with them.

I always checked on everyone to make sure they made it to bed, went to go check on one of the ladies and she was not in her room, I came to the desk and asked the nurse that was there, if she had seen her. She said she was sitting right over there a few minutes ago. I got to looking for her and she was outside barefooted sitting on a bench, and she said Come here Honey those men are fixing to shoot us in that car over there and she was so scared, just shaking all over! There was no men. I said, Well if they are don't you think we best high tail it inside! She said Oh Yes! So she got up and went and sit down in the living room and she said Honey look at the children playing arn't they precious? There was no children but I told her Yes, they are but it is time they go to bed and you too so let's all go to bed. I got her to bed and she went to sleep.

I stayed up and to 3 Am doing more hot sauce and made some with some peaches also, but not quite as hot but if not hot enough for hubbie I will put some of that red pepper flakes in it, that should do the trick!

Girls I am interested in hypnosis also. I have a book on it somewhere.

Karen I am curious too what is a Santaclause melon ? Hows your baby dogs doing, did they play any with your sons puppy? Or did they think of ways to aggravate the new kid, so he would not come back? Mine would have! Ha!
Bootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:03 AM   #102  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All!
The Santa Claus melon, sometimes known as Christmas melon or Piel de Sapo, is a variety of melon that grows to approximately 1 foot in length and is oblong in shape. It has a thick outer green-striped rind with a pale green inner pulp that provides a mild melon flavor, generally not as sweet as honeydew melons. Grown in Arizona and CA.

I've read that part of the way the tapes work is the relaxation. If you're relaxed (and maybe drifting into sleep), the subconscious is more receptive to input. I think you're doing everything right, Mary.

Jo, you've mentioned your online library a couple of times... could you provide a link? I have a couple of sources, but they aren't all that great. I'm interested in checking out your link! Thanks...

Today is the family picnic. It should be SO yummy! I'm so looking forward to tomorrow and getting back to my regimen. I feel like caca, and I know the exact source thereof! When I eat a lot of carbs, my sleep is interrupted, I get depressed and lazier, my joints hurt, I want more and more of the junk, and I just feel like crap. I do NOT understand why I can't remember this when the malicious cravings hit??

PT/Zoe, KarenMOFL, Bobbi, Lynn, Freda, EVERYONE...... have a lovely Sunday! Later....... (be safe!)

Last edited by jess1; 07-11-2010 at 11:03 AM.
jess1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:29 AM   #103  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Morning all....Gee A Santa Claus melon is a long greenish yellow melon that tastes like a cross between honeydew, cantalope and kiwi. They are grown mainly in Georgia and when dead ripe are amazing. Look so ugly to taste so good.

Many many years ago when I was running a group therapy class at the VA, I taught the guys a form of self hypnois. Because hypnois is close to sleep state you can do this at bedtime. Get comfortable, relax and focus on something, take 10 deep cleansing breaths(in thru your nose out thru your mouth), now close your eyes and visualize steps leading down. Slow count the steps as you step down each one from 100....and as you step down give your self a positive message. Betya never get to the bottom step before you fall asleep. Which is fine as you are giving yourself a subliminal message that carrys over.

Stitches...I think the title "Dragonfly in Amber" is my favorite book title ever. Book was great but the title hmmmmmmmm. Read newest Evanovich yesterday, was mindless enough to restart my reading habit after "War".

Bootsie...That's a mess of doggery to be bathing. Only way we could clip Dash is 2 valium and 6 strong men to hold him down. And that doesn't count the nail clipping! He loves a bath and we got a hose that clips on the washtub faucet so in cold weather he gets a warm bath outside. Summer time down here have to let the water run enough to cooldown. It's 83 degrees out of tap this time of year after running it.

Freda...after so many years of nursing, I still miss the feeling of sisterhood nurses share, but sure don't miss the shifts. Just thinking back makes my legs ache. Funny but my kids grew up knowing what things like Stat meant.

Sunday...gotta go grocery shopping and get Dash's 7 turkey thighs. Been putting it off as pouring rain. Can't get new car wet. hugs, karen3

Last edited by Karen3; 07-11-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Karen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:14 PM   #104  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

It's Sunday, I don't count calories or exercise today so I made an Apricot Cobbler and ate two small pieces without ice cream. I skipped Church because I'm soooooooooo tired, running on 3 hours sleep. I fell asleep sitting up in my chair after supper and dozed for 15 minutes. Then when it was bed time I wasn't sleepy, finally slept after midnight only to awaked by clashes of thunder, lightening and my 'chicken' dog whimpering because he was scared.
Karen3...I'm gonna try that tonight!
Quote:
Because hypnois is close to sleep state you can do this at bedtime. Get comfortable, relax and focus on something, take 10 deep cleansing breaths(in thru your nose out thru your mouth), now close your eyes and visualize steps leading down. Slow count the steps as you step down each one from 100....and as you step down give your self a positive message. Betya never get to the bottom step before you fall asleep. Which is fine as you are giving yourself a subliminal message that carrys over.

Donna...I noticed the first recipe called for the secret ingredient plus 1 cup of water. The other recipes doesn't use the extra cup of water, I think it was a typo. I haven't tried any of them yet, I'd think the spice cake with applesauce would work.
Quote:
I do want to comment on the cake mixes and substitutes on HG. I tried the yellow cake with lemon-lime soda, and it was DISGUSTING. The consistency was gluey. It's always possible that I did something wrong, but there's not a lot of room for error in the very few ingredients.
Bootsie...MIL is usually nice in the daytime, it's when 'Sundowners' kicks in that she gets ugly. We had to put a stop to her calling us at night, no calls after 7:00pm. We took her phone away from her and the nurses/aids won't dial the phone for her after that.
Quote:
I am having a hard time keeping up with everyone but trying, Alzheimer’s is such a terrible disease. I pray I never get it. They say sometimes they get violent that have it but when I worked at a retirement home everyone seemed to be touched with it and bless their hearts they were so sweet.

You must live on a farm with all those dogs. We are dog lovers too and live in the country but only one English Setter. What kind of store do you have? Just fell in love with them.figure out how to get my border collie done that looks like a bulldog with a border collie head, she is as wide as she is tall. I may have to buy a halter off my husband for her, then I got to get Big Lee done, he will probably have a ball getting a bath he wanted one today.
I need to clean the barn out to tomorrow, gonna stay up and do our news letter tonight for our store and put up some things.
Jo.......everyone is talking about theOutlander series, guess I'll have to check them out. Where do you read these online?
Quote:
Finished Outlander…enjoyed it just as much this week as I did 15 years ago. Downloaded Dragonfly in Amber from the online library and will start right after this post.
Freda...that's what DH did, stopped going to see him mother. She disowned him and took him out of her will about 8 years ago. (He's an only child too) She had her pastor as administrator for her but Bruce had to take over since it got complicated when she was diagnosed with Alzheimers, too much work for the pastor. DH does that for free and I've been balancing her checkbook for the last 4 years. As Christians, we felt we needed to do this for her even tho she doesn't deserve it.
Quote:
I draw the line at how much they can expect from the people they treated so badly.
Mary...are the tapes for losing weight or just relaxing?
Thanks Zoe....I don't let her get to me but DH does. That's why I don't push him to go see her...
Quote:
You and your DH have been dealing with it for sooooo long now - you must be worn to a frazzle.

I guess I'll trot into town and visit my dad and siblings. I have two brothers and two sisters plus their spouses and we all get alongs very well. Hi Lynn...done with school yet? Hi Karen31, how's the diet coming?
Have a great Sunday,
Bobbolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:35 PM   #105  

Morning everyone..it feels like fall its nippy and windy out..dont even want to think of summer being over dh is gimping around makes him grumpy poor guy..the garage sale is over..it was alot of work but we did ok..the local senior center is coming to get the stuff that didnt sell easy clean up and its for a good cause, they will add it to the huge garage sale they have every yr..a splurged last nite and we ordered take out.. i had a burger,8 ffries and 1/2 of a small shake(dh had the other half) it tasted soooo good but could only eat 1/2 the burger..then i started to think of the calories and carbs added them up and i was sry i made that choice..sigh feeling guilty here..back on track today..nothing exciting planned for the day.hope yours is going great ((hugs))) rosey
akrosey49 is offline   Reply With Quote