Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 07:24 PM   #136  

S/C/G: 225/223/150

Height: 5'5''

Hi to everyone,
The economy is hurting us. DH lost his job to downsizing (an example of where downsizing is a bad thing) a few years ago. He's looked and looked,but hasn't found anything. My job is secure for the moment, but I teach at a small private school. When people lose their jobs. Private school is the first to go. DH and I just budget and hope things will get better, I don't think it's going to be any time soon. Our 401 K has taken a horrible hit. We have our health, great kids, and grandkids. Life is good!!!!!!!!!!!

On a positive note (Good downsizing) I lost another 2 lbs. Onederland here I come!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by flowingair; 03-22-2009 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:36 PM   #137  

S/C/G: 237/224/145

Height: 5'4"

Flowingair: What a shame your DH lost his job. I have relatives in your geographic area (I have relatives everywhere, except New York and Florida). Three of them moved back to Las Vegas. I hope things pick up soon. I worry sick about my sons being sent to war or losing their jobs.

Jay: I plan to move to West Jordan, a suburb of Salt Lake City. I like the new community, Jordan Landing. It's close to relatives and friends, but not too close. I like my space.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:24 AM   #138  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

flowingair, always good to have you drop in! I'm sorry to hear that your DH hasn't been able to find more work. I know what you mean about hits to the retirement plan... I thought I would be all set by retirement age, but I guess not. Now isn't the time to change anything, though.

Jada, West Jordan, eh? Interesting. I looked it up--I haven't been out there in many years. Have you visited there in the winter?

I'm a believer in visiting a place a few times at different times of year and staying for awhile before up-and-moving there. I moved from California to Massachusetts in 1990 without doing enough research... turned out I was allergic to everything that grew and came from a rather different culture in many ways... And by the time I figured this out, there was no going back! So I lived there 11 years.

I'm still on track here, but much more must be done today. I guess I'll get started with it!

Cheers, everyone!

Jay
Old 03-23-2009, 11:51 AM   #139  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Okay . . . weather whine . . . it's snowing and the infamous "they" are predicting 10 to 12 inches of the stuff. Oh how I love this Spring weather.

Actually, we will soon be out the bottom of this -- since I moved down here in 1994, I haven't seen snow after mid-April -- hopefully this will not be the year that pattern changes.

Have to go to the doctor this afternoon and to the dentist first thing tomorrow morning -- so, naturally, the weather is being uncooperative. At least I don't have to drive too far. This kind of wet snow can make for really nasty driving.

Hope things are good in your area . . .
Old 03-23-2009, 12:46 PM   #140  

My weight is going back down. It's nice to not count calories. I just follow the food pyramid and I'm good to go.
I'm retired and single, so I can get up and move if a place doesn't work out. I just wish I could afford to be like the snow birds in Las Vegas. They have a home in Las Vegas for the winter, and a home elsewhere for the summer. I have relatives everywhere, and I want to live by all of them. It's hard to decide. I can only afford one place. I remember coughing when I would visit my grandmother in Utah, so I worry about my allergies. In Vegas I don't have to take allergy medicine.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:40 PM   #141  
Day at a Time

S/C/G: 242/222/140

Good morning all.
I am just back from the gym and wanted to say hi.
Lori congrats on the weight loss. Sorry to hear about your DH job loss. It seemed like not that long ago every where you looked there were jobs. Hopefully it will come back soon. We are not quite as hard hit here in Canada.

Laurie your house sounds fabulous. A place for everything. I am like that too but only have myself to organize so everything seems to stay put.
Jay glad that you seem to be feeling better and the weight loss. Sounds like things are coming together. Hope work lightens up for you. Or maybe not??
Linda too bad about the snow. We are good on this coast but it is not warming up fast enough for me.

As for me I made it to the gym yesterday and today. Food has been OP. I have been keeping my hands busy with some leftover knitting that I am finishing off.
It is a poncho done with big needles and a sort of lumpy yarn. It will be nice if I finish it. Not sure I would ever wear it but someone will.
I decided Sunday that the only thing that I coould change for sure was that I could do my program of healthy eating and exercise.
I struggle with anxiety and I am so tired of it. But that is like saying you are tired of having allergies and trying to wish them away. So the exercise helps and weight loss will help with sleeping etc. So I have made a commitment to myself to do that no matter what. The food plan is more difficult. The gym is just a matter of putting one foot in front of the other and going.
Had a beautiful sunny day yesterday. Spring is coming and I want to be able to enjoy it.
Jada do you like the winters? I am from the prairies and hate the cold and the allergies. I too would love to have a place to go to for the winter. Like Palm Springs. I have a friend and she may be keen on sharing with me. You can rent in Palm Springs for a few months in the winter. I am still working so that is a ways off. Actually it is October 1, 2013!!
But who is counting.
Jada tell me more about the Food Pyramind. I gather that is the Food Guide. Is it easy to follow? Are you counting calories?

Jay your meals out always sound fabulous. You are great at ordering just the right thing.
Hope everyone is having a great day. I will pop back later tonight.
Ciao...Jude
Old 03-23-2009, 03:26 PM   #142  

Flowingair: Congratulations on losing 2 lbs!!!
Old 03-23-2009, 03:51 PM   #143  

Great Jude on getting to the gym

I read and am following information on: mypyramid.gov
I counted calories at first to make sure I understood what I was doing. But, like everything, once you figure it out, it's simple. I don't count calories now, unless it's to see if a certain food fits in the calorie range I've set for myself, which is 1600. On the day I ran, I allowed myself 2000.
I eat a bowl of broccoli before lunch and dinner. I would like to do it for breakfast too, but it sounds too unappetizing
Old 03-23-2009, 06:23 PM   #144  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Hi all - a quick post tonight. Dinner is just about ready. Sounds like everyone is doing well! Great start to the week!

Still no kitty - all the neighbors have checked their sheds and garages and the like. I'm suspecting that he just went off to die. We may never find him. We are a block from a wooded area, and about 2 blocks from a large dairy farm (weird to have a dairy farm right in the middle of the city - but there it is!)

Gotta fly - the jasmine rice is smelling wonderful! I need to get the asparagus grilling

Hope you have a fabulous Tuesday - and Linda - I'm gonna try to send warmer weather your way!

Laurie
Old 03-24-2009, 09:09 AM   #145  
Onward and Downward

Oh please CD I soooooo need some better weather -- it is still snowing and blowing out there -- ugly, ugly, ugly. I definitely cancelled my dentist appointment this morning and will be going nowhere. Yuck.

Hope everybody else has a good day . . .
Old 03-24-2009, 02:45 PM   #146  

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

It's still cold here, I think the high today was 45. And windy, which makes it feel even colder. Tomorrow is DS's birthday and I made cupcakes and the grands and i will decorate them tonight. They like to add food coloring to the white icing and come up with some pretty weird colors, but it tastes the same.

Flo, Michigan has really been hit hard with the job layoff's. My husband is still working, but usually gets sent home at least once a week for lack of work. and it has finally trickled down to my son too. His hours are cut. i am still working, the medical field is one place that there doesn't seem to be a problem.

Jada, if it works for you, it works!!! I think most of have different diet plan. You just have to find soemthing you can live with. I lovve broccoli but i'm not sure i could eat it twice a day, every day. I do have it often though, roasted, broccoli salad, in casseroles...

Laurie, I hope you kitty find his way home. Not knowing is nerve recking!

Linda, I would share some good weather if I had any,, sorry. It's got to stop soon, right?

Freda
Old 03-24-2009, 03:54 PM   #147  

I walked today in memory of Laurie's kitty. I will get down to 227 lb in his memory too. After having him for eighteen years, it must feel like a devastating loss.

Jude: Las Vegas winters are great as far as snow and ice goes. It depends on what elevation you live. The biggest problem in Vegas is floods, but you learn where the flood areas are and you stay away from them when it rains.

Linda: Too bad about the bad weather, especially when you have plans like going to the dentist. It's nice to go to the dentist and get it over with.

Freda: I know what you mean about the vegs, or other food, for that matter. I get tired of eating the same thing, and I have to change it or recreate it. Broccoli helped me to get down to where I am, and then today I bought a different vegetable for my sanity. I'm not much on vegs, anyway, except salad.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:27 PM   #148  
Day at a Time

S/C/G: 242/222/140

Jada maybe try roasting your veggeis. It is something that Laurie does and I have tried it and it is wonderful.
Made it to the gym today. Happy about that. And am at work now. The food plan is coming along but not 100% yet.
Hope everyone is having a great OP day!!
Old 03-24-2009, 04:58 PM   #149  
Onward and Downward

Oh dear . . . not a good day for me . . . I've been on a starch binge. Tomorrow WILL be a good day.

Last edited by meowee; 03-24-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:17 PM   #150  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Linda - windy today - but warmer - definitely some warmth heading east Step away from the starches! Get some protein in you - quick!

Jada - aw - thank you! You touched my heart!

And yes - try roasted veggies - they are WONDERFUL! I put spinach and grape tomatoes and broccoli slaw in my pitas too - with a bit of feta and walnuts and strawberries and a bit of low-cal dressing - scrumptious way to get in your veggies

Jude - congrats on the gym and getting your food plan closer to where you want it. You are coming along so well! Stick with it! It will make a difference!

A good - balanced day. I exercised after work - taking it easy on the upper body. I see to have gone overboard with Wii bowling and tennis and have developed tennis elbow - Jay, stop laughing - you saw it coming, didn't you?

I made yogurt tonight - we are going through so much of it! Fresh fruit with home-made yogurt is just the BEST!

Gotta fly - I hear the dryer buzzing!

Have a GREAT hump day all!
Closed Thread