Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 09:59 PM   #181  

S/C/G: 237/224/145

Height: 5'4"

The Kennedy Space Center does sound like the place to put on a "to see" list. I've never been there. It must have been exciting to hear the sonic boom.
I bought my new walking hat today made of straw with a wide brim, so I can walk a further distance without worrying about getting too much sun.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:47 PM   #182  
Day at a Time

S/C/G: 242/222/140

Height: 5'2"

Happy Earth Day! Anyone still reading as at 830pm we are all to turn out the lights for an hour.

This morning I got myself over to the gym and went to an hour yoga class and then did 20 mins cardio. Talked to the yoga instructor a bit about a trainer. I will have to see. Pricey.

I am going to follow all your suggestions and try and calorie count and have some healthy snacks around. I know what to eat so it is just about keeping my eye on what I want in the end not what I feel like today.
There is nothing I would love more Laurie than to be out buying new clothes. Love all your food ideas thanks. And what is a NSV??
Jay have not seen the space center. Have not seen Florida!! Except on Miami Vice. Love your weight loss rule.

Jada it seems like every friend I have now has grandchildren. I do not and it will be years off I think. I feel like I have lost all my friends to these granbabies. Seems to change your life as much as having your own kids. Not sure it is my thing.
How is the walking coming? Walking outside seems to have a lot of benefits that you don't find in the gym.

Well I am off for the evening to visit a friend and watch a movie. I think it is Beverley Hills Chihuahua. Her granddaughter is over.

Cheers....Jude
Old 03-29-2009, 01:54 AM   #183  

Exclamation Happy and Healthy Life to ALL

Hi,
I'm new in here. I started walking about 3 months ago and it is great. I live in the Northwest, so it can be a challenge to find sunny days, but, I still walk in the bad weather unless it's too cold.
I have found that if I eat breakfast and a good lunch, I don't get the cravings in the evenings. I try to stick with lean meat, veggies, fruit and tea. I have not lost any pounds, but my clothes are sure getting baggy.
Please all of you out there, do not walk alone. If you have no choice, go to a high school track and walk around that. On the weekends especially there are always kids and parents around for softball, soccer, baseball, football practices, etc.
Any those are my words of encouragement.
I have found that on days when I do not walk I feel awful.
I am a widow and get really down sometimes, but walking is such a boost for me.
And as one of you said, it really helps me sleep at night. Do you know that people who sleep well tend to weigh less.
But, remember this, we all want to lose weight, but it's not just the weight. It is how if makes you feel.
Oh yea, I am 5'7 and I weigh 205. All my life I was around 130. Then when my late husband became ill, I started eating to make myself feel better. And then after he passed away, I never did anything. My friend at work got me walking. She moved away, but I have just kept on walking. I have 30 minutes for lunch, so I use that to walk 2 to 2-1/2 miles each day.
Keep your chin up and keep going. It will work and it will make you feel better.
Love and success to you all
Old 03-29-2009, 04:44 AM   #184  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome loveswalking

Hi loveswalking,

Welcome to the Active over 50 thread, and in honor of your first post,

Kudos to you for grabbing your thirty minute lunch time for a brisk "2 to 2-1/2 miles each day." Yep, that's certainly the stuff that can get your clothes to feeling baggy.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:47 AM   #185  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Hi there ladies and Bill . . .

to you LOVESWALKING . . . glad to have you joining us.

Another sunny day for us . . . . . . and the mountains of snow are melting quickly.

I really want to go out to play in the sunshine again today but I do have mountains of laundry and other housey duties calling my name -- oh gee, what to do . . . Bet going out wins.

Opps, right now I'm having difficulty typing (cat walking on the keyboard) so guess I'll goodbye for now.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:52 AM   #186  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Hi all - hope you are having a nice day!

Jude - NSV - non-scale victory

You go girl! Sounds like you are committed to this journey!

loveswalking Glad you joined us! Hope you will come back and post often so that we get to know you!

Well, I got my exercise shoveling today. We got 8 inches of heavy, wet snow. The streets aren't plowed and we barely made it to church in my 4 wheel drive Tracker. There were only about 20 folk that made it out. If DH didn't have to run the sound system and me the media presentation - I don't think we would have ventured out.

But, we did to to the grocery store afterward (to make the most of our trip out) and picked up some wonderful vegetables. Grilled veggies for lunch (the asparagus was especially wonderful).

Lenten study tonight with pizza and dessert. I'm glad these Sunday night food fests are done tonight. They have been a challenge!

Stay warm and dry all.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:07 PM   #187  

Hi BillBlueEyes: Congratulations on maintaining.
Welcome LovesWalking:

I went down another pound. I'm doing something right

I read in the newspaper yesterday that there were a lot of police in my neighborhood because they were on a "sting" to ticket cars who didn't stop for pedestrians. Because of these "stings" throughout Las Vegas, no pedestrians have died. I have always felt safe, but now that I'm getting older, I'm becoming more vulnerable, so I have to be aware of that in my choices. Luckily, I know the police around me (my husband was in the police dept) and they watch out for me.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:03 PM   #188  
Day at a Time

Welcome to loveswalking. I live in the north west too. Only in Canada.
It is a beautiful sunny day here. I just washed my car. Sorry Laurie to hear you are shoveling. That would be getting to me too.
I spent part of the morning on Fitday looking at my food and I can see where some things are not so great. I have to cut back on some things. Not too way out of line but just enough to keep me from losing.
I am off to get some groceries for the new plan for the week. Taking a break from the gym today. Was going to go but did the car and enjoyed some sun instead.
I hope everyone is having a great Sunday. This week I am going to work on not letting any "becauses" (excuses) get in my way. I just need to get them out of the way. This is going to be my challenge for the week.

Talk to you all tomorrow....
Old 03-30-2009, 01:44 AM   #189  

Jude: That was great going through your food. Good byes are such sweet sorrow.
I was busy all day with family, and with lots of food. I did very well. I was surprised I only ate one slice of pizza. I'm losing taste for my old foods, so it was easy. I gave away all the left overs and other foods I've stopped eating. My DIL said she felt like she had just gone shopping with all the food they had. Once again I'm going to bed worn out and no hunger pains.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:28 PM   #190  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey everyone!

Jude, yeah, FitDay is often a wake-up, isn't it? "It is what it is..." Keep going, don't trip and fall over those becauses.

Last night's pops concert was all John Williams! It was just great! It included Superman, Juriassic Park, Indiana Jones, Jaws, E.T., Star Wars of course, and some other pieces that are lesser known, such as the Liberty Fanfare, written for the bicentennial.

Wow, and the orchestra works soooo hard! The trumpeters could have used some resuscitation afterward. The conductor gave some program notes, and before the encore he said that playing John Williams required musicians to "throw their bodies on the tracks." It is not easy to play, that's for sure.

The encore piece was Williams's march from "1941," a piece I didn't know at all and a movie I didn't see. Has anyone seen it?

Today is taxes and more taxes and even more taxes... oh, and I went to step class. I got a kick out of the younger women who were there for the first time and were panting after the first 20 minutes. heh!

See ya!
Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 03-30-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:33 PM   #191  
Day at a Time

Good Afternoon all.
Yes I have my Fitday for the day all figured out and written down to follow. I am at ABOUT 1800 for today. A little higher than I want but ok for today.

I did not make it to the gym this morning. I was on an online meeting and did not plan my time. It would have been tight. Liked the meeting so will try and incorporate both next week. It means being ready to go right after the meeting.
Jay the concert sounds wonderful. Sounds like something that I would like.
Hey Jada congrats on losing another pound that must feel awesom. You are doing something right.
Gotta run.....Jude
Old 03-30-2009, 07:44 PM   #192  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Jude - keep at it! Journaling in Fitday is one of the keys that really made a difference for me. I honestly don't think I would have been nearly as successful without it!

Jada :congrats: on your eating. Once piece of pizza is better than I did! I ended up with two

Jay - I haven't seen 1941. The concert sounds like it was wonderful! I gotta get tickets for Interlochen this year. We haven't gone the last couple years and I am missing it! Summer tickets go on sale next month.

Hello to everyone else! Hope you had a good Monday!

My trip downstate (for work) was a good one. The sun was out, and it was about 20 degrees warmer in Lansing than here (and the snow disappeared when I got 15 miles south of town). I like to drive by myself every now and again. I put on some of my favorite music and sing at the top of my lungs - very therapeutic

I also did a grocery run at Sam's Club, so it was a very good day all around!
Old 03-30-2009, 10:29 PM   #193  

Hello to everyone!!

Jude: I heard on the radio today that Canadians are moving to Las Vegas because of the low housing prices.

Jay: Congratulations on maintaining your weight. I've been reading some maintainers, and it doesn't sound like it's all that easy. It's quite impressive you take the time to attend concert. I love the sound of an orchestra, especially classical. It was pretty cool that you outdid the younger women. Makes it all worthwhile.

Laurie: I also like singing when I drive. I remember when I was a little girl I wanted to grow up to be an opera singer. Funny.

I'm having a good day, except for feeling yuck from all the salt I consumed yesterday. I didn't even enjoy it. I could hit myself over the head, when I waste calories eating stuff I don't even enjoy.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:55 AM   #194  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Wet, wild, and WHITE outside.

Looks like more housework in my cards for today since it is supposed to continue snowing all day. Mother nature seems to have rewritten the old adage around northern Nova Scotia -- it's now "in like a lion; out like the whole pride".

Other things are good though . . . looks like a 5 pound weight loss for this month (will wait for tomorrow to change my ticker however, just in case a miracle occurs over the course of today and I get to register 6) and my blood sugar levels have been behaving much better this past week.

Now . . . if one of you sweet things would just send me some SPRING . . .

Last edited by meowee; 03-31-2009 at 06:56 AM. Reason: still having finger dribbles
Old 03-31-2009, 12:08 PM   #195  

Laurie: Congratulations on maintaining your weight!! It sounds like it takes a lot of work.

Linda: Congratulations on losing five pounds. I wish you spring weather soon. You must be getting cabin fever.

I'll have my official weigh in once a month too, instead of weekly.
Closed Thread