Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 07:50 AM   #91  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning all, Yeah is right, CountingDown, at least we didn't get snow! We did get a drastic drop in the temperature though. Was out last night and the sweatshirt was not quite enough! Got to confess, I'm a spring cleaner too. I know it would save a lot of time if I did it during the year, but just can't seem to want to wash walls when the weather is so bad out. The first hint of sunshine and warm weather makes me want to dig into the closets and clean!

Mary, I always plan my menu's out after I get the sales papers too. I'm not sure what grocerygame.com is but i'm looking it up.

Isabella, I've never quite figured out where all taht dust comes from either. Does it breed?

HI Sparrow

Jay, You really got a work out there, didn't you? Guess the instructor forgot we're not all Amazon!

Everyone, make it a good day, Freda
Old 04-29-2008, 09:17 PM   #92  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Freda - cold but sunny up here today. Supposed to be warmer the rest of the week I'm thankful we didn't get the weather that VA got. Keeping those folk in prayer, for sure!

Linda - I can't always peg why I retain water either. Here's hoping it is gone tomorrow

Sparrow - Glad to have you among us. You will find that this over 50 group is not only very active, but very wise and supportive They have helped me a LOT over the last 10 months.

Hello to everyone else - I hope you are having a POP day. Jay, hope the workout went well!

I joined Gary's 5 lb. challenge in addition to BL. I figure I can use all the help and encouragement and accountability that I can get
Old 04-30-2008, 06:26 AM   #93  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hi folks,

I'm back to my usual routine at the gym and feeling good about it.

But, I've got a sore throat this morning. I hope it's just a passing thing!

Is anyone watching "Carrier" on PBS? It's been on the last three night, two more to go. It's about life aboard an aircraft carrier, the U.S.S. Nimitz. Very interesting... to me, anyway. Most of the crew are young people, and the story follows several of them during a 6 month deployment. It is such hard work!

Catch ya later!

Jay
Old 04-30-2008, 07:14 AM   #94  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Good Morning . . .

Last day of April is going to be rain-filled and tomorrow is supposed to be more of the same. Hope those May flowers are going to be coming along soon.

Yep . . . the ankles are normal this morning and the weight is down to 222.4 -- but in keeping with my new regimen of weighing every day and using the average for the month, my new ticker is sitting at 225.

Hope everybody has a great day . . . See you later . . .
Old 04-30-2008, 07:36 PM   #95  

Hi all. It's been hot here in North Florida, although it cooled down last night a little. May is bringing for me a renewed commitment to work on my diet, exercise and blood pressure. I've staked out a spot in the Accountability thread, and I think that will help me.

Meowee, glad you're seeing your ankles again!

Jay, I've heard that's a good program. I grew up with my father going away often on long cruises on the carriers, back in the 50s. One of my earliest memories is eating a meal on one while my dad was in port. I must have been just three or four and I clearly remember sitting on some big thick books, because of course they didn't have chairs suitable for tiny little ones.

I am very excited that next week we are going over to Cocoa Beach for a little vacation. I am so ready to sit and read and do nothing.

Talk to you soon!
Old 04-30-2008, 09:10 PM   #96  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Jay, I don't really watch tv much, but I did catch a few minutes of it. What I saw was quite interesting. Made me realize how hard it must be to be confined in such a small space for such a long period of time. It also explained why shore leave is SUCH a big deal and why things can get out of hand.

Dinah - thanks for the reminder - I need to close out this month on the accountability thread and get in for next month. I need all the accountability I can get

Linda - I don't think I could average my weight over a month. If I hit a new low, I am out there changing my ticker pretty quickly (usually after 2 days at a weight). I think I have altered that jpg so many times I can do it in my sleep

I THINK I may have finally bought my electric bike for real. Vendor number 7 hasn't cancelled my order or requested an extra $150 for shipping yet. Of course, he hasn't contacted me yet either. I went with ebay this time instead of an Internet vendor. After 6 tries to order 1 bike, I figure I need another approach. It is really frustrating. The company raised the wholesale price a month ago, but the vendors didn't update their website. I cannot abide folk that advertise a price and don't honor it after you actually buy the product. Physical stores can't do that, I don't think virtual ones should be able to either.

Enough of my rant for the day. The experience is teaching me patience and perseverance at least
Old 04-30-2008, 09:23 PM   #97  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Countingdown, your rant is very justified. I don't blame you at all and I'd be just as frustrated if it happened to me.

I had a nice shopping trip with my mother today. I bought a couple of nightgowns and a skirt and of course groceries, always groceries. I can't believe how the prices are going up.

I'm trying out new vegetables as often as I can and yesterday I prepared an old green in a new way. I cooked Romaine lettuce and was quite pleased with the taste and texture of the cooked lettuce. My family couldn't guess what it was and was surprised when I told them what it was.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:44 AM   #98  
Onward and Downward

Morning . . .

It is raining . . . hope the May Flowers have their umbrellas with them . . .

Weight blip- is still at it -- up to 223.4 this am; but still well below last month's average.

Well, since I have at least a million things to do and places to go today, guess I'd best get my rear in gear and get started -- well right after I have another

Have a great moving and shaking kind of day, gang . . . see you later.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:14 AM   #99  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning Ladies, Ugly day again. Sun isn't out and it's cold. Spring, where are you? Not much going on today. I think I'm going to go to Trader Joe's and look around. I love that place and always find new thing to try.

Dinah, I brought my blood pressure down quite a bit by losing weight and watching what I ate. The Dr. was thinking about putting me on medication but I asked him to give me untill the next visit. I also lowered my cholesterol quite a bit. So, all that work was definateally worth it!

Counting, I'm crossing my fingers that you finally got the bike! And you can rant all you want, after all the frustration you had!

Isabella, I just went shopping for new PJ's too. Spring is here (so they say) and i wanted something bright and new to wear. And the price of groceries is getting so high pretty soon we won't have to diet. We won't be able to afford to buy food.

Jay, Hope your sore throat was just a temporary thing and you're feeling good.

Everyone, make it a good day, freda
Old 05-01-2008, 10:05 AM   #100  
Isabella

No Freda, you're wrong--I'll always find money to buy food! I love it too much. But your point is well taken.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:32 PM   #101  

Hi all,

Freda, I agree with you about prices...between food and gas, I don't know how we're going to deal with it all! Because they certainly aren't handing out any raises at work!

Thanks for your thoughts about blood pressure. We have done all the things you suggest, and my cholesterol is back to normal. But the bp won't budge. Actually, they put me on a diuretic and that brought my bp to normal, but then I had a kidney issue with the diuretic. So now my bp is back up.

My sister retired today and I went to her big retirement party. I did pretty good, only had one little tiny bit of dessert, but not a big honking piece of cake like I really wanted!
Old 05-01-2008, 11:02 PM   #102  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Hi folks,

I'm back to my usual routine at the gym and feeling good about it.

But, I've got a sore throat this morning. I hope it's just a passing thing!

Is anyone watching "Carrier" on PBS? It's been on the last three night, two more to go. It's about life aboard an aircraft carrier, the U.S.S. Nimitz. Very interesting... to me, anyway. Most of the crew are young people, and the story follows several of them during a 6 month deployment. It is such hard work!

Catch ya later!

Jay
Hey JAY My son called me last night to make sure I was DVR'ing it for my nephew. My son said it was great. His best friend and a friend of mine...was on the Nimitz!

C-D ~ I hope you get that bike!
Old 05-02-2008, 07:00 AM   #103  
Onward and Downward

Hi there . . .

It's still raining and I wish it would stop raining . . .
Old 05-02-2008, 07:39 AM   #104  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

meowee, you need some SUN!

The last part of "Carrier" was on last night, and they all got back to port. Reunions were both wonderful and difficult, as you can imagine when someone has been gone for 6 months. Some of the crew felt that the deployment was a waste of their time, others thought that it was just "all in a day's work" (or half a year) in the military. I was really glad I watched the whole thing and got to see the lives that they focused on.

Yesterday we went to Florida International Museum in St. Pete to see the Splendors of the Vatican show. Awesome! Have been trying to get there for months.

Among other things, they show the history of the Vatican itself. It was built on part of the site of the old circus of Nero. There was an old St. Peter's basilica built above the site believed to be the burial place of the Apostle Peter after his crucifixion. The old basilica dated from the mid-300s, A.D. The new basilica was built in a span of about 120 years beginning in A.D. 1505. This is the St. Peter's of today that involved the work of Michelangelo, Bramante, and others.

Also included were a collection of artworks, vestments, historical materials, uniforms of the Swiss Guard, and many liturgical objects (chalices, crosses, plates for communion wafers). They also had the thanka (hanging painting) of Shakyamuni Buddha that the Dalai Lama presented to Pope John Paul II.

So, that was my day off! And now it's back to work.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 05-02-2008 at 07:40 AM.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:18 PM   #105  
Isabella

My life is so inactive (other than exercising) these days. I finished doing the vegetarian cooking demos two weeks ago and although I'm glad I don't have the fuss of carting 3 boxes of utensils and food out of the house every week I'm left with a small void to fill. I think I feel this way today because I wanted to go shopping but my plans have been thwarted by my husband and son. DH has taken the brakes off one of the cars to replace them and is gone with the second car and DS is going out in a couple of hours and I'm stuck here with a great need to go spend some money on something. Sigh.....I'll be fine by tomorrow.....sigh again....someone has to stay with dear old mom.

And, tomorrow is my weigh in day and although I'd like to be shopping I also wish tomorrow was here so I can see if this week's activities will have paid off. I'm ready to start plucking off my own feathers!!!

Oh, well, the sun is shining and once the furnace cuts in and it gets warm here in the house I'll at least have the illusion of thinking that the weather is nice and warm outside.
Closed Thread