Old 01-19-2010, 09:20 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

CJZee-I'm the most spoiled of the bunch. I turned my living room into a home theater last year so I had professionals come install the whole thing last year. I have a universal remote and I just push the Wii button I'm not very mechanically inclined but when I have to do stuff like this I usually go to radio shack and they tell me exactly what cables to get and how to hook it up. That would be my advice. I've even taken pictures of the back of my TV before and taken it in and they have shown me which holes to plug things into.

I tried the advanced boxing last night because the beginner boxing was getting boring. It was challenging and it does get my heart rate up. It will be a while before I master that but I'm sure it will be a regular part of my routine. Funny with the hula thing, I do much better going in one direction than the other. Does everyone have this problem? I find I can do 30 minutes on this thing without blinking. Does everyone find that to be the case or does the novelty wear off? Seems to me that there is enough variety on it that even if some stuff started to get too easy, you would just move on to other stuff and it would be months if not years before I would get bored with this. Its an ingenius little thing.

I also redid my fit age last night cause I was curious about that and I lost 2 years. I'm now 64 so I won't take this so seriously anymore.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:06 AM   #17  

Petra65: I do clockwise much better than counter-clockwise, but maybe because that is the first to come up and I'm a bit tired-out after the first set? I dunno... The WiiFit age thing is pretty funny. My 16yo did it and it told him his fitness age was 38! He is 5'7", 118 pounds, very athletic and very much in the "Healthy" BMI, but his WiiFit age was still 38!! Go Figure! I wouldn't put too much thought into that fitness age thing.
Wiiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:16 PM   #18  
PRINCESS WITH A PLAN

Height: 5'5

i made a mistake the silver piggy comes after you bank 30 hour i checked my piggy last night and i was in the 30z not 20 wow time flies when your having fun..
i had my brother hook it up for me the first time but i got the hang of it.. just read the directions..
TIARA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:47 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

Thanks everyone for the great advice on hooking up the Wii, including borrowing the teenage boy, LOL. I would love to have it hooked up to my computer instead of the TV because the TV isn't in a good place to be exercising. So maybe I will ask at Radio Shack. Thanks again! CJ
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:07 AM   #20  

I have another question for all of you who have more experience with this. I do yoga on a regular basis at a yoga studio. Last night I got ambitious and put together a little yoga routine on the Wii fit. I haven't tried it yet but I'm wondering can you save more than one routine? I would get bored doing the same one over and over again. If I had to put a new one together everytime I think that would get on my nerves. I would rather just put a few together and then decide how energetic I was feeling that day.

Wiiki-I do much better going counterclockwise so it may not have to do with which comes first. I think for some reason one direction just comes naturally to us-sort of like being right handed or left handed and the other one is awkward. The last time I did the super hula, I actually dropped the hoop going clockwise and had like 200 spins going the counterclockwise. Crazy.

Last edited by petra65; 01-20-2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:11 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

I can't answer the yoga routine because I have only been doing a few of the poses here and there. Hopefully someone with more experience will be able to answer.

re: the hula hoop I'm definitely better at going counterclockwise (probably because I'm a lefty?) I like that the advanced hula hoop makes me do both directions, I'm sure that's better for me!
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:12 PM   #22  
Wonder Woman in Training

S/C/G: 216/tracker/140

Height: 5'8"

Hi, everyone! I, too, got a Wii (and WiiFit) for Christmas and I just love it. I make myself do 30 minutes of aerobics before I do any balance (which is FUN)...today I did 20 minutes of advanced step (and don't you feel like you need a big audience clapping for you?) and 10 minutes (or is it 12?) of advanced hula hoop. Haven't really tried boxing but I will. So any advice on how to get the most bang for your buck in terms of a workout? I feel like what I'm doing is better than nothing--but not exactly strenuous.
Red Hook Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:45 PM   #23  

Red Hook-my philosophy is that the best kind of exercise is the kind you actually DO. So I don't get hung up on how strenuous it is or not, some exercise is always better than no exercise. Have fun-your likely to do more that way. Check out some of the extra exercises-I don't remember what they call those but there are some fun ones there too like the flapping your wings to fly from location to location. I like the kung fu one too but it is really hard for me right now so I may wait until I get a little more experience before trying it again. I haven't tried a lot of those yet-oh yeah, the skateboarding one too. That's fun.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:30 AM   #24  

I tried my yoga routine last night. If there is a way to save more than one routine, I don't know what it is. You could tell that I'm not a yoga novice I could keep my balance in the little circle or the bar or whatever they asked without a problem on all but one I think and that was because they wanted me to hold the pose for longer than I am used to. This is not the way I'm used to doing yoga so I'm not sure I would like this but if you are completely new to yoga it might be a good way to get a little exposure.

I rented a Wii game called Yoga-the first 100% experience. It's interesting but I have to say there is definately something about doing yoga in a class with an instructor that you just can't get from a video. I don't think there is anything that would replace that for me.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:49 AM   #25  
Wonder Woman in Training

S/C/G: 216/tracker/140

Height: 5'8"

Thanks for the advice, Petra! I haven't seen any wing flapping games...maybe WiiFit Plus? (I have it but haven't tried it yet.) Just added the rhythmic boxing yesterday and I really like it. Yesterday I was feeling totally bratty and not into exercise at all, so I told myself that I could just spend 30 minutes skiing or whatever. But once I'd started I got in 20 minutes of cardio, too.

Wii Sports is making me want to start playing tennis again. (Not that I was ever any good...but just the running around would be good for me.) 'Twould be a good thing if Wii translated into life!
Red Hook Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:13 PM   #26  

Red Hook Mom: The flying game is in the Wii Fit Plus add-ons area. It is fairly challenging. I am going to add hand weights next week to give myself a bit of an extra workout with it.

If WiiSports translated to reallife, I'd be a pro bowler and and would be jumping 10' in the air when playing tennis at the net! WooHoo!! You should see Wiiki jump! My kids play tennis while sitting on the sofa, but me? Oh NOOOOO! I 'clear the area' and I get my feet right for every swing, moving back and forth all over the room! My kids think I'm nuts because "you don't have to do all that, MOM!!", but I'm burning more calories than them and having a blast!! I look like a total goofball, I know, but it sure is fun!
Old 01-22-2010, 08:37 PM   #27  

I'm with you Wiiki-that's the whole point. I don't think I could play tennis or any of the other active games sitting on the couch. Now I do target shoot sitting on the couch.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:25 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 269.9/174.8/150

Height: 5'4"

hmmm, this is very interesting...we just got a wii fit plus and all at Christmas and I keep reading on "fitness forums" or hearing on tv that's it's not really exercise. I don't guess it's in the same league as a P90X but you can certainly get some cardio from it. I need to play it more. Definitely the boxing, I liked that. I'm so uncoordinated, the step is embarrassing, especially with my family watching me, lol. Probably the best thing is to do it in conjunction with something else. I'll have to find that flapping wings thing! But you're right, anything you'll actually do is the best thing. What a great invention. I definitely want to set up a yoga routine also
thePetNanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:01 PM   #29  

I have reached the point that I have unlocked the advanced boxing routine and I was actually sweating doing that last night. I don't know who says that isn't exercise. I can also imagine that you could do enough super hula hoop to be significant exercise.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:05 PM   #30  

Does anybody else have the Wii Fit Step Aeorobics song stuck in their head??? It is actually quite a catchy little tune, but it is stuck in my head!!! Oh well, it could be worse, I could hear "This is the song that never ends...." in my head, I guess!