Old 05-15-2008, 05:19 PM   #346  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

Letsgo
I am so happy to see another parent that helps their kids. My son is a special needs student also. ADHD, asbergers and Touretts. I had to sit with him just to keep him on track and then after that help him sometimes. It takes a great deal of time BUT this is the child I was told would NEVER pass the proficiency tests and I was expecting way to much out of the local high school. He finally passed them all and graduates this year. He turned 21 in Jan. He hated being so old and in high school, he hated going to a " special " school for adhd and asbergers kids. I thank God we found out about this school because those at the local high school couldn't have cared less about him. I told him there are a great many kids that get out of school when they " should " with certificates but don't get a diploma because they couldn't pass the proficiency tests. Which do you think was the smarter decision. To get that certificate and graduate at the " proper age" OR to show everyone and more importantly yourself that you could pass the tests everyone said you weren't smart enough to pass? He choose to stick with it. I am so very proud of him.

Lovn
Darn I forgot all about it was doing my hook rug lol. I have to decide if I want to add another ( there are getting to be quite a few of them there lol or make each one = 10 pounds instead of 5 pounds.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 05-15-2008 at 05:20 PM.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:28 AM   #347  

S/C/G: 175 / 140 / 125

Height: 5'2"

Let'sgo, I hear ya on the kid's activities and school sucking up our time. Try hardnot to lose yourself in their schedule.

Today I am spending the entire day on the bike trail and at the park with my youngest son. He's in 2nd grade and the 1st and 2nd graders are riding about 14 miles today and having lunch and playing games at the park. I'm dropping off my van with our bocci ball, badmitten and bean bag toss games locked inside. Then dear hubby is taking us and our bikes to school. It looks like it's going to be a lovely day so it should be loads of fun.
You all have a great day too!
lovnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:57 AM   #348  
Andrea

S/C/G: 194/189.5/150

Height: 5'4"

F.R.I.D.A.Y. - hooray.

Rennie, thanks for the words of encouragement. It is certainly the challenge of a lifetime to have a special needs child. In the past 10 years, my husband and I have become experts on federal and state law as it pertains to special needs kids, and we work VERY closely with our school to provide everything that Daniel needs to succeed. Fortunately, we have had much success; we live in a fairly wealthy community and there are a good deal of resources available. Every year when the budget comes, we always campaign for the YES vote, since those tax dollars help Daniel directly and have had a tangible result. Daniel's mainstreamed but does have the help of a paraprofessional (paid for by our tax $$!). He's made so much progress as each year's gone by...he's reading at grade level and he no longer requires speech or physical therapy. It's an uphill battle every step of the way, no doubt about it, but he's had so many victories that it's been worth it! Next month he graduates from elementary school, and I can't wait to celebrate his accomplishments!

He hated the opera yesterday - no surprise there - but LOVED the coach bus.

Anyway - I did indeed exercise yesterday, with a vengance. I really pushed myself a lot harder than usual, and it felt great. I think I had some residual anger or something - hormones?? - that was pushing me. I had the music going pretty strong and every five minutes, I'd up the speed and incline on the treadmill. I think at one point I felt tears coming down my cheeks - whatever was bottled up inside was just coming out. Very cathartic. Not really sure why it all suddenly came to a head, but it did, and I just went with it.

Do any of you keep a journal? I faithfully kept a diary/journal from elementary school through my late 20's, but then fell away from it. Last year, I needed an outlet for some whacky feelings I was working through, so I bought a blank book and started writing for a few weeks. It helped. It's been a while since I've written but I'm just curious if anyone else does so.

Weather is not nice here today - cool and rainy. Still, another week in the books!

Edited to add: when I mentioned that we live in a "wealthy community," I was referring to the resources available to the school district, and the per capita spending per student...it's not a commentary on my income, or anyone else who lives in our town. We are very, very lucky to live in a community that invests so heavily in its youth.

Last edited by LetsGoMets; 05-16-2008 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Clarification of earlier statement in post.
LetsGoMets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:01 AM   #349  

S/C/G: 190/165/140

Height: 5'6"

Letgo: I totally agree...it's FRIDAY and I plan on taking it pretty easy today.

I hope everyone is doing well...I spoke to my son who lives in Connecticut and he finally found an apartment that he's happy with. I'm going to fly up there sometime in June and help him with the necessities that he needs since all the stuff he was using before was basically his roommates. So mom's coming to the rescue!!! And I have to tell you, after not seeing him for about 2 years, I'd give him everything I own to help him..I'm so excited!

Picked my first batch of cucumbers last night from our garden and boy are they yummy! That's the best thing ever..having fresh vegetables picked straight from the garden, knowing they're good for you and they're NOT FATTENING! And they taste heavenly. I'll be picking the Squash and Zucchini this weekend and those are my FAVORITES! The way it looks, we should have these items all summer long..this is just the first batch.

Lovn - I'm so jealous! Your going to get to spend the entire day outside, getting exercise and spending time with you child. How could it get any better? That's sounds like tons of fun!

Rennie - Hope all is well with you...I always love reading your posts. They so encouraging and enlightening!

Photo - those Peonies are beautiful! That's actually one of the top two of my favorite flowers. The others I love are hydrangeas. I love those too because after they "die" you can dry out the flowers and make beautiful things with them, like wreath's and such. They are so beautiful!

Well I have a remote today (when we broadcast live from a business in the area) which means I won't get off until after 6:00 PM and then I have to go pickup my babies (my 2 Lhasa Apso's Dogs) from the groomers. Then after that, I'm going to the farm and relax until tomorrow. Then I'll be in the fields working like always!

OBTW - I decided to step on the scales at the farm and it said I weighed 168! Now I won't believe that until I wi on Monday, but wouldn't that be fabulous if it's right? Crossing my fingers!!!

TGIF everyone!
gtmerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:26 AM   #350  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

GT, I love peonies, too!
Just for you (from the same wedding, which btw, was on Jekyll Isl.):

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:47 PM   #351  

S/C/G: 232/*/138

Height: 67

My peonies are just getting ready to bloom, and I can't wait! I've got white ones and deep pink ones...they smell so good.
Salma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 07:40 AM   #352  

Letsgo, I've journaled faithfully for many years. Being able to read back in time really helps me see how far I've come and reminds me of good times too. I do not journal what I eat.

gt, that's wonderful that you've made plans with your son. Bravo! I did have a blast with my son and his friends on the bike ride. It's amazing the difference in children. DS and his buddies ripped down the trail so fast they had to have their own adult with them. I had two girls with me that stayed right behind the pack of boys and would catch up every time they'd stop for a drink or a minor wreck due to horseplay!!! Yet, there were some children that took 40 min longer to go the first 3 mile stretch. That's a huge difference. I was pleasantly surprised that none of them were overweight though. It just proves that just because you're thin doesn't mean you're fit. Good luck on the W. I.

Photo, What a lovely setting that ceremony must have been!!

Salma, I too have white, light and dark pink peonies, but mine are maybe 6" tall so far. They won't bloom for weeks yet. I don't remember if you'd posted here before. If you're a newbie, welcome! If not, forgive me, I am in my 40's you know

Up and at it early this morning. Old Fashion Days today. Food booths, car show, parade, pony rides, kid's games, etc.....my children's favorite day of the year. I'll be running a box car derby race for children. Each child holds a box painted like a car around his or her waiste and runs 3 laps around the track. Each car has a pit crew and they must make 3 stops. 1. clean the windshield-pit crew sprays the driver in the face with water and then wipes it off with a paper towel 2. Car must refuel-drink a 5 oz cup of water 3. get a change of tires-they kick off their shoes and run a lap in big rubber boots. It's hilarious. The kids love it. My in-laws pay for really cool medals 1st,2nd and 3rd awarded in 4 different age divisions. I'll be at that from 11am-1pm and then walk in the parade at 2. I'll finish the day watching the bed races. Each team has a bed on wheels all adults involved. One has to be on the bed and they "change" the "baby's" diaper another stop each team member must drink a 12 oz beer (thus the adults only rule) This being the last event of the day it's usually pretty crazy. Most of the people involved have been at one or more happy hours all day. It's a good lesson for my children why you should never drink more than 2 alcohol beverages. It may lead you to make an _ s_ out of yourself right in the middle of mainstreet!!!!
Hope you all have an exciting day as well!
Old 05-17-2008, 08:40 AM   #353  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Sounds like you have a fun day planned, Lovn.

My son got back from his field trip last night. He had a great time and had lots of stories. I can't wait to get his pictures back to see what he saw. Today, we have team pictures for baseball, then the hit-a-thon (a fundraiser) and then a game. And all of that should be done by noon! Tonight I'm taking my son and 4 of his friends to see Ironman. That should be fun, too.

That's about it for me today. Hope everyone has a good weekend!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:06 AM   #354  

Happy Saturday everyone. Sounds like we're all keeping busy.

I finished my wedding last night at 10:30 ... according to the heart rate monitor I just bought, I burned 2200 cals in a 6 hour wedding. But this was a very low-key event, no toasting or bouquet or garter ... and very little dancing.

Today I have a BIG 8 hour event with all the trimmings. I'm going to wear the monitor again and see where my heart rate and calories go!

It's a gorgeous day here, big puffy clouds, light breeze ... I"m looking forward to today's wedding a lot!

Old 05-17-2008, 01:02 PM   #355  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Photo - I didn't know you were from Georgia - awesome - I worked in Atlanta for about 9 months - took several road trips one to Jeckyl isl. beautiful.

beautiful day here - going to play - tired though spent yesterday from 6 on with friends and all until about 1:30 am - i am toooooo old to be out like that!!!

anyway - sounds like everyone is busy and having fun!
sillycat4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 12:28 AM   #356  

Silly - You're in WA state, I see. I lived in Vancouver for 3 years - it's where I met my husband. Small world, huh?

So it's funny how much this site .. and this thread ... have come to be a part of my life. The wedding I shot today, all the flowers were hydrangeas and my first thought was ... oh, gt would love this!

I'm exhausted, my feet hurt, my back hurts .. .and oh yeah, I had gear stolen from my car today. *sigh* It's all insured, but in the meanwhile I had to buy new stuff today to shoot with. $$$$$$ Ouch!

Old 05-18-2008, 07:13 AM   #357  

Photo, That's a real bummer. Don't let it get you down! I know what you mean about this thread being a part of our lives. I find myself saying things like, " I have a friend Diane from Colorado who said or likes," etc.. Because I do think of the people here as friends.

Diane, I bet you were gald to see that bus roll in! Have fun at the movies. Let us know what you think about it. My hubby and sons want to see it. I haven't seen enough adds to have an opinion.

Off to Madison today. DD and I are walking in the Cystic Fibrosis 10k. It should be fun. We have 96 people from our less than 1,000 pop. village going. Our phy ed teacher's son has CF and we're all trying to do our part. With so many youth on the team I have no idea how many miles we will walk. You can drop out at 2, 4 or 6. We'll see. It's being held at Henry Vilas Zoo so it should be a great day!!!

Have a great Sunday all.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:40 AM   #358  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

I have to add that I do the same thing about my friends here. I'll repeat stories from here all the time. It gets a little more difficult when I'm asked who said it. "Oh, just someone I know." I don't like to tell people about this site because I really don't want people I see everyday to be able to figure out who I am and read what I post. I like the anonymity but still get to have some good friendships. It makes it a little easier to let it all out!!

Lovn: Oh yes, I was glad to see him come home. He had an awesome time, but I wanted my baby back. I pictured myself as a mama bird tucking a baby back under her wing. ha!

Yesterday was a fun day. We had baseball pictures very early, then went to the hit-a-thon and then had a baseball game at 11:00. They lost again but this team is a fun one to play against. So, LetsGo, we're still at 0-7. There is a game this week that I think we might be able to win. We'll see how they do. Anyway, later on I took my son and 4 of his friends out to eat (not exciting, just Taco Bell). We had time before the movie, so we went to a carnival that was in town. I let them ride a couple of rides. The one they were on was scary. As I was watching them on this ride, all I could think about is how stupid I was to put my baby and the babies of other mothers onto this ridiculous ride. But, they had fun. We went to see Ironman. I thought it was really good. I like Robert Downing Jr and he was excellent in this film. The boys thought it was cool, too. It is a good adventure movie and had a lot of laughs in it, too. As we were leaving, I heard one guy say that it was a little predictable. Well, yes, that may be, but it was still a lot of fun to watch.

Today, I am finally baking a birthday cake for my boy. (I think his birthday will end at some point! ha!) I have a ton of laundry and I need to go grocery shopping. Thrill a minute!! But, I need to get some of this stuff done. We have games on Tuesday and Thursday, so that won't leave a lot of time for other stuff. Next weekend starts the "JUCO" world series. This is something we look forward to every year. Juco stands for Junior College. So, this brings junior college baseball teams in from all over the country to our town for a tournament. They have to be the champions in their region and then compete for the world series championship here. The competition is fierce and the baseball is incredible. We have so much fun at it, I just can't wait. These boys really hustle and play amazing baseball. It is fun to watch them at this level. They aren't so enamored with themselves like the pros and big college players, so they love signing autographs for the kids and talking to the fans. You usually get to meet some of the moms and dads of the players, so that's fun, too. I sat next to a mom from Florida one year. All us moms want is for our kids to have fun and have success.

Well, better close this book for now.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:26 AM   #359  

Diane, The JUCO sounds like a lot of fun. I prefer minor league ball for many of the same reasons you stated. I'm glad all went so well with your son's party day. I hope you all enjoyed his cake and ate it too!

I had a blast at the 10k. Bucky Badger was there, some of the Badger Band came out and played, there was a fun dj, food, fellowship, cool t-shirts and 6 miles mapped out through parks and quiet neighborhoods with beautiful homes and lovely gardens. I ended up walking most of it alone. The speedier people in our group took off while I was with DD and then DD and her friend took the 5k route while I took the 10k. I did end up crossing the finish line with two 10 yr olds from our town. They were very surprised to turn around at the 7k marker to see me sneak up behind them. Definitely a hare and rabbit story. I watched them run and stop to "look" for probably 3k before catching them at my steady pace. With other family members and friends our little friends team had 133 of the 452 total walkers. He got to cut the ribbon and $164,000+ was raised, $30,000 more than last year. I finished the day snuggled up with my DD on the ride home. The only thing that would have made it better is if my entire family could have attended.......after this very long week I'm surprising my hubby tonight. My mother's coming to stay with our children and I'm picking him up from work. Where we will end up I have no idea, but we will be soaking in a hot tub and not coming home until tomorrow.
Have a great Monday!
Old 05-19-2008, 08:12 AM   #360  

S/C/G: 140.5/140.5/130

Height: 5' 7"

Smile

Good morning! This is going to be short....I need to get some exercise in before getting ready for work! I am 45 years old, my husband and I have been together for 23 years and married for the last six of those years. No kids, but three dogs. I am a CA native (yes, there are a few of us out there!). I lost 75 lbs when I was 19 years old on the "Diet Center" diet and have kept it off! I am here because over the last six months I have put on some extra pounds that I would like to lose....and I can't figure out why they are not coming off!!! I thought that being here, and accountable to all, may help me make it!!
Looking forward to "meeting" all of you here and on the site
Gotta run!!!!
jenimelt is offline   Reply With Quote