Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 04:25 PM   #121  

S/C/G: 338/306.8/150

Height: 5'2"

Hello everyone. I hope you are all enjoying the weekend. Right now I'm watching a movie with DH and have the start of chicken soup going on the stove. It smells so good already. It's a rainy Saturday afternoon here and I'm not feeling very motivated to do the cleaning I should be doing today. Maybe after the movie
Old 03-14-2015, 05:40 PM   #122  

S/C/G: 339/329/146

Hi, everybody! Happy Saturday!

Betsy - What's IF? (If you don't mind describing it or linking it or whatever) Happy Pi Day! Also, you're totally right -- for every diet, it's easier to lose when you're higher up and harder as you approach your goal. And I guess a lot of diets have that first week water weight issue, too, don't they?

PJ - Yeah, same deal, here; unless it was real bad, 10-20 steps would get it mostly sorted, and then there'd be a little sore muscle the next day. Also, thanks! I think it's OK not to get to 10,000 every day in a row. Getting there twice a week, even, is a great starting goal! (And it's not like 8,000 is bad!)

Terra - Ooh, now I want to try to figure out an IP-friendly taco soup recipe. That sounds amazing.

Mountain - I'm glad you get your IV soon! Feel better! Also, thanks!

Hi, Sam! I don't know anything about makeup, yet, but one of my milestone rewards (I have little rewards every 10 pounds and bigger rewards at some of the important-to-me milestones) is to get some sort of lesson on how to do makeup! I'm so excited about it! (Even though it's like 70 pounds from now.)

~~~

Y'all, I slept a lot later today than I'm willing to admit. Part of that is because I stayed up later last night than I should have, reading. So I'm feeling a little fuzzy-headed today. I should probably get the house cleaned up, but I don't want to. :P

I will, though. Yeah. Here I go!
Old 03-15-2015, 12:31 PM   #123  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

Betsy— I'm so glad that IF is helping you to stay on plan, but you didn't tell us what IF stands for! =smile=

magpie— Happy Sunday back at ya! My kitties are enjoying their window in the sun. I agree that your cleaning house counts for getting something done on your weight loss! And your NSV is fantastic!

Cindy— That's great, planning to have chicken soup with your DH while watching a movie. I plan to be watching Formula One qualifying trials with my DH, Bob—the first one of the year. Also watching Undersity of North Carolina in the ACC (Atlantic Coast Championship). I don't munch while watching TV anymore, unless Bob is eating and it's time for me to have a meal or a small snack. I take the painful wooden-floors route to my leather chair in the den, then flop down into it and ask Bob to get my food. =grin=

Pam— You get credit for only 8000 steps! And I'm glad to hear your foot is doing better. I had PF (plantar fasciitis) several years ago, and the way I cured it was by walking in my best sports shoes ('need to get another of those)—in grass, in the park right across the way. Walking on hard sidewalks or asphalt or concrete is the easy way, for me, to reactivate that awful PF, so now I hop into my car and go to the lake park where the trail is gravel and dirt. You live in such a nice part of the world, I bet there's a park near you. And central Texas is not hot, not compared to where I grew up—Houston! Bob and I are eager to get to Austin soon, because it has a Formula One circuit now, the only one in the US so far.

Donna— I've been thinkin' 'bout you, hopin' that the right antibiotic does the trick!

OK folks, that's all I can manage. Even sitting on my favorite green futon brings pain into my thighs from struggling with these ridiculous knees. =sigh= I'm looking forward to knowing what's wrong with them! And I'm also looking forward to news from Ubee! I promise a brand-new photo of my cuties, Ubee, if you'll just come check in with us... How did you like the photo of Bob?

Last edited by Fiona W; 03-15-2015 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:19 PM   #124  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

Good morning all from a very chilly and rainy Northwest. Perfect day for staying inside and reading a book or watching a movie. Unfortunately I need to get the remaining two kitchen chairs stripped or else there won't be anything for the kiddies to sit on when they're here next weekend. Nothing like motivation to get the procrastination bug out of my system!

Before I start the personals, a couple of you asked what IF is -- Intermittent Fasting. There are several approaches to IF, but the one I follow is to limit my eating to an 8 hour window. So, I eat two meals a day instead of 3. The funny thing for me is that I will have the same number of calories and carbs as when I'm eating 3 meals, but lose weight much more easily.

Cindy -- Sounds like a perfect day to me......especially if the cleaning never got done. Your soup and Terr'a Taco Soup made me get some Mexican Salsa Soup out of the freezer. Yum!

Magpie -- Weekends were meant for sleeping in especially after a late night of reading hopefully a good book. I'm just glad to find that I'm not alone in my aversion to cleaning.

Fi -- So glad you have your dear Bob to help you through this, and I think we're all eager for you to find out what the doctor has to say. Even if you've done something serious to your knees -- and I definitely hope that's not the case! -- just knowing what's wrong will help. Have the kitties give you an extra dose of loving and enjoy the Formula One races.

Just came back from a trip to the basement. Toby heard a clunking noise and came running over to me (my brave watch dog!). I have a complete apartment downstairs, and I figured that maybe I had accidently hit the ice maker switch when I was getting things out of that frig freezer to reload the deep freeze. Yep, that's what it was. Having the freezer go on the fritz meant I had to clean it out, and I found all sorts of stuff in there!

Off to get started on stripping the last two chairs. Maybe I'll even get them stained today so that I can get the polyurethane applied the next two days. I've got my meals all planned out for today. I hate to admit it, but I can tell the difference in how I walk with just having lost a few pounds. Not up anywere near the 10,000 steps yet, but coming here gives me motivation.

Have a great day.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:57 PM   #125  
There and Back Again

S/C/G: 300/289/213

I'm kind of po'ed. People are asshats to me for being heavy and because i allegedly eat the entire day without stopping, and allegedly don't try to exercise at all. Little do they know, that I am dieting and exercising. They laugh at me when I walk by, and talk about me like they think that I'm too stupid to understand them, or that I can't hear them.

I found out that it's okay to be a glutton, so long as your body is perfect. I was reading some of the body building forums. They are eating 5,000+ calories/day for "gains" and training for powerlifting. They were bragging about all the food that they eat. I don't eat half of that, and I'm considered evil, subhuman, and a glutton because of it. Food for me is wasted because there are starving people in the world, according to them, and I'm eating too much. I just really want to take one of these *******s, and smack them in the face, and ask them, "Why am I a glutton and you aren't, you hypocrite?!" They aren't training for functional strength. It's for pure aesthetics. These vain *******s think that they are better than everybody because of the way that they look. What happened to the concern for starving people? They have the nerve to call me narcissist. Sorry for the rant but these guys just act like they have the moral high ground, and they really don't.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:24 PM   #126  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Hi everyone!
I miss you all so much. I am exhausted. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and am praying it is not a train. Our house is bursting at the seams. Son and family, daughter from collage, and my sister with hubby and dog. All but son and family leaving today. In a week I should have my house back!!!!!
My clothes are small, my weight is up, I need you all.
Welcome to the newbies!
Hi to my friends of old!
Sorry I have not read all your posts but I am thinking of you.
My me time is up. Stay well.
Have a peaceful time.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:48 PM   #127  
rockin' my 60s!

Ubee— What do you mean by "daughter from collage"? Do you mean you're making a collage with your daughter in it, or did you mean to say "college"?
Old 03-16-2015, 10:28 AM   #128  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Good morning everyone. The wind has finally stopped blowing so Toby can leave my side instead of trying to cram his 95 pound rear end in my lap every time a leaf blows by.

Tootsie -- I'm so sorry that you obviously went through something bad this weekend. Yes, there are many condescending and judgemental people in this world. And our entire culture is geared towards the "perfect" body -- whatever that is. To me there is a big difference between exercising to be healthy and the extremes that body builders go through. I think in their own way, they have as many issues around food and body image as we do. It's not easy to ignore them because their comments are mean and hurtful. But are these people that you would really want to be around anyway? Nah -- me neither!

Ubee -- Thank you for spending your allotted 15 seconds of me time with us. You poor baby. Love your family.. Can't wait to see them all go someplace else! Was this some special gathering of the clan or just ridiculous timing guaranteed to make you wish for life on another planet.. We miss you. Tell your family that your other family is in need of your wit, charm, and sage advice.

Fi -- Today is the doctor's appointment, right? If you feel like sharing, I think we're all eager to find out what the heck has happened to your knees -- other than they've stopped working. Hope that the appointment goes well.

The kitchen chairs are all stripped so I'll stain today and put on the first coat of finish. With St. Patrick's Day, I will be fixing a corned beef dinner. I love corned beef, and really try to limit it to 1-2 times a year. I'll make some braised cabbage with caraway seed and may even get really energetic and make soda bread although I doubt it.

Being back on IF seems to have helped immensely with getting me back on track in terms of staying on plan. Don't know why, don't think it's a panacea for everyone, but for some reason it's something I can live with. I still need to work on portion control, but I'm just thrilled to not be making trips to the store to buy chips, chocolate and ice cream.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:58 AM   #129  
rockin' my 60s!

I'm so curious to know, Ubee, or anyone else for that matter, what you think of that photo of Bob with Nénu on his shoulder. I have your two promised (not very good) photos of the kitties, but my thighs won't let me stand up, so I can't get to the other computer to upload them.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:20 PM   #130  
There and Back Again

*Trigger Warning*. If you are in a bad place now, this may not be good for you.

I got hate mail today. I could have been really upset about it, but I'm not. I'm actually lol-ing about it. I don't know what this person was referring to. I assume that they think that I'm an HAES advocate, which I'm not. I think that they misread this...

"I don't think that obesity in itself is a disability, because I've seen everyone from barely overweight to super morbidly obese, able to move around and work just fine. However, I do believe that obesity can be caused by a disability. For example, someone gets into a car wreck, they lose their legs and can't move as much anymore, and on top of that, they're given pain meds that causes weight gain. Obesity can also be one of the causes of a disability. For example, an obese person loses their legs due to type II diabetes.

One thing that I hate about HAES is that many of these people act like being called unhealthy is an insult. It's an observation. I seriously doubt that most people would say that a cancer patient is healthy, for instance. Are we insulting them or making an observation? We may say, "Cancer patient X is healthy for a cancer patient." No insult intended. Why can't we make the same observation about overweight to super morbidly obese people? Yes, you can make healthier choices at every size, but does that automatically make you as healthy as everyone else? Not necessarily. You may still have diabetes or other obviously unhealthy conditions. Does it make it not worth the effort to change? No, because it still helps to stabilize the other conditions."

To clarify: I believe that you can make healthier choices at any size, but that does not make you as healthy as a person who was average weight all their life, who was eating correctly and exercising. I don't think that it's inherently bad to be unhealthy though. Some people do, if they believe that you choose to be that way. I don't consider myself to be an HAES advocate because many people use it as an excuse to not try to change at all, even when their own health and their family's health is at risk, and put others down for trying to change. (If they want to stay the way that they are, that's fine. I just don't like them putting down others and putting others at risk.).

Here is the hate mail in question. Feel free to laugh at it.

"You disgust me.
I admit, I am a bit overweight, or at least I was. It's people like you who inspired me to change myself. To eliminate any possible association I would have with people like you.
Keep your 'social justice' on Tumblr.
I wish you a oppressed, subjugated, second-class, unhappy, unhealthy, lonely, bitter, short life."

Sounds like a gem, huh?
Old 03-16-2015, 02:56 PM   #131  

Hi all,
I am new to this thread and I don't know what IF is? I posted a couple weeks ago about this being a new attempt but I went up 8 pounds since then!!! I really don't seem to get it, but I will try again this week to stay on my plan. I really need exercise too, but don't have any motivation. I will log in here each day and read your posts for encouragment and reality. Thanks for being there. I will need to update my tracker...!
Old 03-16-2015, 03:16 PM   #132  
There and Back Again

Welcome, Elstyle. IF is Intermittent Fasting. Some have had success with it. I know of some people that are using the 5:2 plan, which is two days of 500 calories, and a bit more, according to your height and weight, calories the other 5 days. You still have rules about what to eat, but it's less strict. IP, (in case you mistyped) is Ideal Protein. I don't know much about either, because I'm not doing them. I'm just counting calories and eating less of the unrecommended stuff. Not completely eliminating anything. I also added more veggies, fruits, and water. You may need to check the diet forums here in 3fatchicks.

For exercise, you might check out YouTube for Leslie Sansone's Walk At Home vids. I'm losing using them.

Everyone has to find what works for them. . No one is the same. Good luck in your weight loss efforts.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:41 PM   #133  

S/C/G: 339/329/146

Wow, Tootsie. I'm glad you were able to laugh and move on. (I am a HAES advocate, I guess. But not enough of one to have gotten hate mail, yet.)

Thanks for the trigger warning, btw; it was nice to be able to decide whether or not I was up for reading it!

And welcome, Elstyle!

Last edited by the_magpie; 03-16-2015 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:39 PM   #134  
rockin' my 60s!

Welcome to the 300+ Chat thread, Eistyle! Any chance we can talk you into explaining your user ID (Eistyle)? It's intriguing, but also cryptic. Whenever you feel like it....

As I peck these words out onto my iPed, I am literally watching the qualifying rounds for the first Formula One race of the season. Bob and I hardly watch anything on the boob tube, but over several years of accumulating enough knowledge to handle all the technical issues the commentators are going on about, we are absolutely glued into our two leather armchairs in the den, whenever there's a race.

I did see my primary care doc today. All the details about renting a wheelchair, plus teaching me how to move around in the silly thing, were more exciting than the app't itself: quite predictably, he referred me for scans and for an orthopedic surgeon. (I hate those two words: orthopedic surgeon. Ugh. I do NOT want surgery to come within five states of my knees.) But my primary care doc is very good at talking about things like bedside manner, and he talked me into going pretty far away to see an orthopod who's supposedly "a really nice guy." Vague though that is, it reassured me quite a bit.

I think I'm on plan in my eating, but since I don't count carbs or calories, I'm not sure. I really have lost my appetite in the past several months. Maybe the boredom of always eating the same things is having an effect. =shrug= The main challenge I have is to NOT eat extra bowls of muesli. (For the new folks: I'm bipolar, and I must be one of those people who gets depressed on the Atkins induction, because I had to add a half-cup of sugarfree muesli to my daily regimen.) Maybe I'll pull a page out of Betsy's book, and limit my eating to a narrow window. I have to be careful, though, because too much interference with my longterm habits tends to make me crave whatever is the sweet & yummy item in my diet, and this round, that item is the muesli. (If you're wondering how a sugarfree product can be sweet, I rely on my SweetLeaf liquid stevia.)

As for exercise, I'm attached to my favorite green futon for a while, until my knees and thighs and legs in general get back to being functional. But I did my Qigong (chee-gung) exercises tonight, for the first time in a while. I have to be standing up to do those exercises, so that's a very good sign. I don't need surgery to recover from this injury: I just need time!

I'll do personal comments when I know everybody a little better. I'm a collage artist, so from time to time, I'll post a link to one of my creations. I also post pics of our now 11-month-old orange tabby oriental shorthairs. They are our fur-children, these sister-brother littermates we get from a breeder in New Jersey. We are child-free by choice.

'Seems like an odd way to end a posting, but there it is.... the race is about to start, so I gotta devote my heart and mind to Formula One. =grin=

Last edited by Fiona W; 03-17-2015 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:40 PM   #135  

S/C/G: 390/352/140

Height: 5'4"

Good Evening Chicks…

Well it’s been a couple of days since I was here… I am glad to be back… It was a bit of a rough weekend in a sense… had an acquaintance /guy I went to high school with get killed on Saturday morning in an accident and it just had a profound effect on me… it’s not that we were close or anything but it got me to thinking about how we are not promised tomorrow and we never know when it will be our turn… not just emotional trauma but spiritual as well… anyway I was kind of in a funk for most of the weekend…

Tootsie – I just do not understand why people have to be that way… if I had gotten the hate mail I would have been mad first and then I would have been like you are not even worth my time to give a d***… it’s like they have to hate on someone else to make themselves look good… it’s like “grow up and mind your own business”… you handled it so well…

Elstyle – WELCOME… you are going to love it here…

Ubee – great to hear from you… sorry you have a full house… I know it’s great to see relatives… and sometimes it’s nice to see them go and get back into your own routine… I am praying for you… hope everything is back to at least semi normal soon….

Fi – I am glad all went well with your dr. appt. still thinking and praying for you… I know what you mean about surgery... I have never been a fan of it at all... I hope you can get some relief... I have been to the Houston area a few times in my life… it is so humid there… I just don’t know how people manage… but I guess when you are raised there you are used to it… As far as the PF… I am sure I need more supportive shoes… especially since I was wearing my old ones to mow in… Betsy mentioned Orthoheel brand that I need to check out… what brand are yours?...

Cindy – I hope you enjoyed your rainy day movie… those are the best I think

Magpie – I am sure you (and everyone else who mentioned it) are right… getting in 10,000 steps a couple of times a week is probably a good goal for now… I do need to sort it out… I just over did it those 3 days…

Betsy – I would love it if we were neighbors… I know that we would be giving each other all kinds of ideas!!!... I think I mentioned I like repurposing things… like my big thing right now is making rugs out of old sheets… and I am working on making a welcome mat out of old jeans… On RVing… I don’t know that I want to be part of a group that RVs but just knowing some other people out and about would be nice… I cannot imagine a group that would not allow male children… but to each his own I guess… I would like to find a place where I can ask RV questions and maybe see what other people deal with… Thanks for the brand of shoes… I just need to check out something different to help with the support…

This week I lost 4.8 pounds so maybe all those steps helped… I am only a couple of weeks in so that is another reason it was a little high... I am doing good on the eating plan… but had to lighten up on the walking for the weekend… I think I found a solution to help with the foot though… at least when I go to bed… I use some icy hot type of cream and it eases the pain where I can get to sleep so that is good… I just decided to take it easier than I have been

I hope you all have a wonderful evening...

Last edited by pjvw34; 03-16-2015 at 09:44 PM. Reason: change my message to fi about dr visit
Closed Thread