Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 02:35 PM   #151  
There and Back Again

S/C/G: 300/289/213

Height: 5'2"

Hey everyone. Hope that you all are feeling well today.

Pluckypear: Don't sweat the small stuff. Your weight can fluctuate from -/+ 3 pounds in a given day. It's because of salt intake, water retention, whether or not you pottied that day, etc. And you won't notice a downward direction on the scale every week. If your clothes are getting looser, you're doing well. If you haven't adjusted your calories all at once, like I did, then you may need to adjust them down. For example, when I started, my tracker said that I could eat about 2k calories, and lose a pound a week. Now it says that I can eat about 1900. I'm just trying to stick to between 1-1.5k calories a day because that is closer to what I'd eat at my goal weight.

Rapid: My line of thinking as well. My spouse and kids would disown me. I tend to get really grumpy when I'm hungry.

Cindy: Congrats for finding what works.

Magpie: Thanks for the congrats to all of us. I love how many people are positive here.

Mountain: Life happens. You are handling it very well. It's okay to be imperfect. We all are. I hope that your life lightens up soon.

Terra: Good job on keeping up with the exercise. I've not been so good on that front.

Sam: Getting outside is so nice. I'm looking forward to warmer weather.

Betsy: You are one productive individual. . I'm in awe of your energy. Your dinner sounds delicious. I'm currently hungry. Haven't eaten or drank anything yet, today.

Ubee: Where are you? Hope tha you're okay.

Fi: I'm surprised that hasn't made a travel sized art kit for you for your creative activities. Glad that your wheelchair is helping and that you can still exercise.

I took two exams today. I did okay on the first one. Considering that the lowest score was one point (They don't display 0's), and most people scored lower than I did, I think that I did okay. On the second one, I did quite well. I expected it, given that in that particular subset of the subject that I'm doing, I've always done well. I will be able to review what I did wrong later this week, so that I can work on my areas of weakness. I'm starting to study for the last exam today, so that I am not cramming it in in the last minute like I did before. I plan on doing my 3 mile workout today as well.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:51 PM   #152  

S/C/G: 339/329/146

Hello, everybody!

Fi, I'm glad you have the close attention of someone like Mike, who sounds like he's going to do his darnedest to help! Bob also sounds like a sweetie.

Stoat, I'd be a grouch, too. (And I was, during the first week of Ideal Protein.) Fasts are not my thing.

Sam, congrats on the fast 5k! That's great! Also on the lifting of the fog... contentment is beautiful, and I'm happy for you that you're feeling it.

Plucky, I bet it's the salt. Interestingly, I'm HATING having weekly weigh-ins, because I don't find out what I weigh until my coach does, and I hate feeling like I have to hide my reaction if I am disappointed. (I have not been disappointed, yet, but it will happen.) So I would do better, having my scale with me. But they do say, weighing less often is the way to go for most people!

Mountain, that sucks. Just... the whole thing. You deserve to be having an easier time of it all! I take medicine that requires blood draws every 3 months, and I have hard-to-find veins that roll, too. They usually have to use the backs of my hands. (I have this vague hope that weight loss will help with that.) It stings, and I hate it, and I hate that you're going through the same thing--every day! I'm so glad that the coughing is starting to clear up, and I hope it keeps clearing up, quickly!

Betsy, would you please have a bite of corned beef for me? I love that stuff, and it's a definite no-no on IP. Maybe I'll be off IP before next St. Patty's. (Although my best guess is that, no, it'll be April, at least.)

Tootsie, congrats on doing well on exams! Nicely done! (My school always graded on a curve, so "most people got lower" usually meant I'd have a great grade.) Good luck on the last one!

~~~

So... Update...

I think I'm a little depressed. (Not the kind you treat with medication, just the little black cloud kind.) I keep waiting to hear back about this job--they said they'd touch base last week, and NOTHING--and I can't DO anything about employment until they get back to me, and it's making me by turns agitated and lethargic, because apparently I am a little bit of a Type A control freak about things. Or to be a little less self effacing, I should acknowledge, things have been up in the air for my husband and me since mid-December. I don't know when I will see him again, and I can see our savings dwindling as we pay rent in two places, with only one of us working; and I'm upset about ... everything. (Also, IP causes hormonal swings for some people, and I'm one of them; so there's a real possibility that I'm even more upset, right now, than I would normally be by this.)

A walk helped, yesterday, so I'm going to give that a try today, too, probably with the help of Ms. Sansone. So far I have a 3-day streak of doing 5000 steps, so I'd like to keep that going. It's also grocery day, because the only caffeinated coffee I have left is gross. ("Pumpkin spice coffee," I thought. "That sounds delicious," I thought. Let me tell you, my friends, I thought wrong.) Buying beautiful vegetables will probably help my mood a bit, too. What do you think? Is this the week I try jicama? Or rutabaga?

Thanks for posting your victories--and even your challenges--everybody. You help me get out of my head for at least a few minutes every day, and that is the thing I need most, right now. I hope you all have a fantastic rest of the day!
Old 03-18-2015, 05:29 PM   #153  
Keto4life

S/C/G: 378/272/250

Height: 5' 0

Hello all,

I am new to this thread....i think it's about time I joined as it would be nice to feel like I am walking on this journey with others and not just alone

My chosen method at the moment is eating 3 clean meals a day, sensible portions, no junk or sugar (i take stevia in my tea though). And exercising 45mins -1 hour at the gym about 5-6 times a week.

My weight has stalled for a while so i think I'm at the point where i need to start counting calories but for some reason keep procrastinating on this. So I'm giving it another 2 weeks or so and if my weight doesn't budge will definitely start on the calorie counting.

I think that's all I can think of for now. I hope to be logging in here daily, will be nice to follow others journeys as well
Old 03-18-2015, 07:41 PM   #154  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

Nice to meet ya, cherrygarcia! Your user name is very cool: I never ate the ice cream, but I sure did (& still do) adore the man's music. Bob and I won tickets as a radio promo back in about 1979, so we know how awesome they are playing live. SiriusXM satellite radio has an all-Dead channel where all they do is play concert after concert, with no commercials. That channel alone is worth signing up for SiriusXM, in my (very biased) opinion.

Well anyway, cherry, I think you'll find us a gabby little group. When your fingers are on the keyboard, or holding a stylus (like me, on my beloved iPad), you're not eating, so that's a good thing all by itself. Creating solid, satisfying substitutes for eating, especially when I'm upset, is a big part of my weight loss journey. I even went to all the trouble to get a purebred pair of oriental shorthair kittens to distract me from food: they're so feisty and mischievous, some days it seems like I'm getting nothing done except pick up the items they shove off shelves.

Today for a change I didn't have an appointment, so I enjoyed how being retired means you can read anything you want: I started a book of highfalutin' culture criticism called The Return of the Real . It's teaching me more new vocabulary words (like "riven") than I thought possible, so it's humbling—and also peculiarly fun to read. The kittens fought for who got to be all the way up on the non-book side of my chest, which helped me cope with the b**chin' pain in my knees and my legs from several falls I've had recently.

To tell the truth, I'm pretty darn p.o.ed about that pain and loss of mobility. I can't even make my own coffee in the morning, because I can't remain upright for as long as it takes to put the water on and grind the beans. Sheesh! I can't go grocery shopping, I can't go to the herbal store to stock up on liquid stevia, it really feels like I can't do anything except read and write and pet cats. Donna, I think you and I should have a private pity party where you feel sorry for me and my legs, and I feel sorry for you and your chest. And laugh at each other's accents! =grin=

Last edited by Fiona W; 03-19-2015 at 05:38 AM.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:44 PM   #155  

S/C/G: 340/268.8/160

Height: 5'4"

Hi all

Didn't end up getting to work out today. DH wanted to go buy a PS3 with his birthday money do by the time we were done it was dark and I didn't want to walk in the park alone in the dark. Going to try again tomorrow. Not much else going on other than that...Still dealing with the comings and goings of my bouts of depression and anxiety. I need to find a primary care doctor and possibly get a new medicine...Not feeling chatty but wanted to at least check in.

Ubee I'm thinking about you and hope you are doing ok...I miss you
Old 03-18-2015, 11:35 PM   #156  

I just did a Zumba warm-up video, because the ONLY Zumba I can do is warm-ups, right now (btw, there are easier ways to edge your step counter up to 5,000), and I wondered to myself, "Does all this jiggling in my thighs and upper arms knock loose the fat for easier burning?"

Just thought I'd share the laugh with you.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:55 PM   #157  
There and Back Again

S/C/G: 300/289/213

Magpie: Your comment made me chuckle. We can all hope so.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:26 AM   #158  

S/C/G: 390/352/140

Good Morning Chicks!!!

I hope you all are having a wonderful day so far...

I am sorry I have not been able to come by and chat like I did last week but it has been really busy... and at work I am unable to get on here or I would during my conference time... I have been reading posts and trying to keep up with everyone though

I have quit pushing so hard for 10,000 steps and have been trying to make 5,000 steps a daily thing... whenever I can I make a few extra trips up the hall during my free time... yesterday it put me right at 5000... so today I am going to try to make a couple more trips... I can do this and it seems like I am not even exercising... but I can see it on the counter and feel it in my feet a little...

I have been on target with my eating... yesterday someone put german chocolate cake in the workroom and yes I had a small square and walked away... but since I had my "share" I was satisfied and didn't want anymore... ps I counted it too... however I am certainly glad that does not happen every day or I might not be as strong...

Not going to do personals but wanted to drop in and say HI as I need to get moving and get ready for work...

I hope you each have Terrific Thursday, a Perfect ON Plan Day!!!
Love to all!!!
Old 03-19-2015, 11:28 AM   #159  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

Good morning. Today is grocery shopping day (requires a 40-mile round trip into town......feel like a pioneer some times only with conveniences) and cleaning day. Ugh! But the reward is the boys will be here for the weekend.

Tootsie -- So glad you decided to take the exams and congrats on doing so well. All that and a 3 mile workout as well.

Magpie -- You might be a Type A (join the crowd), but going through the waiting game you and your husband are enduring would make anyone anxious. Loved the thought of Zumba shaking the fat loose!

Cherrygarcia -- Welcome to our thread. You're right on track with your dieting approach. If you really want to avoid counting calories, you can always just reduce your portion sizes. Don't know if you measure or eye ball it, but it's another way to reduce the calorie intake.

Fi -- OK. You are now have my full blown sympathy. Before I was worried about you and those knees of yours, but you can't even get to the kitchen for coffee in the morning! Thank heavens Bob is there with you and evidently is trying out for sainthood between caring for you and his mother. Hang in there.....although I do think you and Donna having a pity party is a wonderful idea.

Sam -- Glad you checked in with us and you know we're here caring for you.

Pam -- 5,000 steps is very reasonable and would still be a tremendous accomplishment for me. German chocolate cake. Yum. Are you finding you that you a) just plain need to have a small treat every once in a while if for no other reason that they're one of life's little pleasures and b) you get as much satisfaction from a small piece as a great big one?

The corned beef dinner was delicious if I do say so myself. Bill took home about half of the leftovers and all of the remaining apple crisp. I'll be having the same meal tonight which for once is fine with me to just heat up the left overs.

Off to have my pot of coffee and then hit the grocery stores. I did get the chairs finished yesterday so I need to let them sit for today and tomorrow to get the poly good and hard. Definitely need to get the house cleaned up this afternoon, and I'm driving a friend home who had knee replacement surgery a couple of weeks ago. Tomorrow we'll pick up the boys and probably stop by the RV place and pick up Dreamboat as well. Hope everyone has a really great day.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:47 PM   #160  

S/C/G: 340/268.8/160

Evening everyone

Seems like as soon as I'm ready to get back to 100% something stops me in my tracks. I have had 2 boils come up in the worst place you could ever get a boil and it hurts so bad I can barely walk...so needless to say I didn't go to the gym today. I'm doing everything I can to get rid of them fast so hopefully by weekends end I won't feel so uncomfortable and can get back to working out.

I've also decided I think I need to meal prep again like I did in the beginning of my journey. That helped a lot and can make my life easier when it comes to eating dinner etc. Dinner recently seems to be the time that is the hardest for me.

So this Sunday I will prep my lunches and breakfasts for the week and have a game plan on my dinners. I'm going back to basics so I don't ruin all of my hard work.

I hope everyone's day was swell...I need to get some rest and get a warm compact going.

Betsy love you and thanks for your support....Night all!
Old 03-20-2015, 07:40 AM   #161  

S/C/G: 390/352/140

Good Morning Chicks!!! Happy Friday!!!

I thought I better do my morning check in before work... We are supposed to get rain all weekend so I am going to try to get in some extra steps today just in case I have to be stuck in the house all weekend.

Sam - Boils are so painful... I completely understand... I hope that you get over them soon... I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy... and as far as prepping meals... I soooo need to do that myself this weekend and get back in that habit... I just about ran out of frozen meals this week... plus it sure makes it easy in the morning when getting ready for work...

Betsy - yes I was just as satisfied to have a small bit as opposed to having a big chunk... and it was just as liberating to say I was satisfied... Grocery shopping... you sound like me... the closest place for me to shop is a 60 mile round trip and the place I actually prefer is more like a 70 mile round trip... in a way that is a good thing... if I don't have it in the house it is hard to cheat right?... Hope you have a great time with the grands!

cherrygarcia - you will love it here...

Everyone else.... hope you are all doing good... and just working it...

Yesterday was a good day!!! I got in 6600 steps just by adding a couple of extra trips up the hall during my pre-lunch break... then last period I made a couple of laps... (and my foot didn't really hurt)... of course I could have probably sweated off a couple of pounds as the room we are in was hot... they are already having to work on the AC... imagine that? In March?.... well it is Texas... LOL

I did well on my food so that is good... I have to go back to the Dr next Thursday and should post a decent loss for the month since as of last Sunday I was down 11.4 pounds. So I am going to move along and get in movement when I can and stay busy!!!

I hope everyone has a FABULOUS Friday, a Perfect On Plan Day!!!
Old 03-20-2015, 10:57 AM   #162  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

Good morning all. The boys arrive this afternoon. Their parents are excited to have a weekend to themselves and we're excited to get them and the boys think they're being rewarded for being extra specially good. Win-win-win. What a gift to be able to be involved in their lives.

Sam -- Do you feel like you're living proof of when it rains, it pours? I'm so sorry that you're now battling boils. I've never had one, but had a friend who battled them and I know the pain she was in. Hope they are much better by the weekend. You are very smart to get back to basics that worked for you. I'm currently relosing 37 pounds because I got away from what had worked. Good catch, Sam. Hope that you can sail through the weekend and Monday feels like you've turned the corner. We all love you, too, Sam. You're our inspiration.

Pam -- We sound like broken records with our efforts, setbacks, and getting back on track. I just noticed that we started at about the same place and are at about the same place now. However, you are able to do a whole lot more walking than I seem to be able to do even with your foot. Not surprised that you're having air conditioning worked on -- I used to turn mine on a lot of the time in March when I lived in NC.

Yesterday was an off day on the diet, but I'm determined not to let having the boys here derail me. In fact, since I move around a LOT more just keeping up with them, I'll hopefully be down 2-3 pounds when I take them home on Sunday.

I need to get the house cleaned, and then we're off to pick up the boys and pick up the RV. Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 03-20-2015, 05:00 PM   #163  

Hey, everybody! So, I gave up on that job I was waiting to hear about ("we'll check in next week" -- and then two weeks pass with no word). So I sent an email, asking if there was an opening at a place that has said they wanted to hire me, in the past.

Please cross fingers and toes that this one works out? I would LOVE to work for this place!

(At this point, I would LOVE to work for a steady paycheck at any number of places, honestly, but this place in particular would be so good! It will require moving and changing IP offices and all kinds of logistical overhead, but it's in a city that my husband and I both like, for a company I like a lot. I am SO HOPEFUL.)

No exciting diet news, really, other than my weigh in yesterday went well. I'm making crackslaw tonight. (Hate the name, love the food.)

Happy weekend, everybody! And happy spring! I hope you all get out and do fun things!
Old 03-21-2015, 12:32 PM   #164  

S/C/G: 338/306.8/150

Good morning everyone. It has been a busy week at work and I just have not had the energy to get in here and post like I've wanted to.

Betsy, I also had some delicious corned beef this week. I didn't eat a lot but the salt did cause me to retain water for a few days.

Sam, your weight loss is impressive. I cannot even imagine walking 4 or 5 miles, let alone even 1 mile. I am inspired by you and your success.

Pam, 5000 steps is wonderful. I don't know how many I take a day but I bet it isn't even close to that. And congratulations on only having a small piece of cake.

Magpie, your comment made me chuckle. I hope you hear something about the job soon. Waiting can be so hard.

Cherrygarcia,. I'm glad you joined us. I am pretty new here as well. I think you will find this wonderful group of ladies as inspiring and supportive as I have. Sometimes, even whem we do everything right our bodies refuse to give up a pound. Our caloric needs change, as we lose weight or become more active and we need to sometimes make adjustments. You will find what works for you.

Mountain, I am sorry you are having such a hard time with the antibiotics, especially since they seem to be working for you. I pray they are able to find a vein that works.

I reached my first mini-goal, which was to lose 5% of my weight. My next will probably be to reach my 10%,. Hopefully by then I will have a signature and tracker.

I hope everyone has an enjoyable weekend. Mine will be quiet - cleaning and some relaxing, and, of course planning my meals for next week.

Last edited by Cindylh; 03-21-2015 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:21 PM   #165  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

Well, it finally happened. After four years of being her oncologist's "miracle patient"—four years is a long time to remain alive with COPD, inoperable lung cancer, and metastases—Laura, Bob's oldest sister, died right before midnight on Wednesday. She's got a lot of busted-up survivors: ex-husband, mother, two siblings, four children, four grand-children, and a bunch of nieces, nephews, grand-nieces, and grand-nephews. Her second daughter literally just graduated from medical school. Her eldest daughter, plus grand-child of the 9-yr-old-boy variety, live very close to us in Greenbelt. On the day the news came through, Thursday, Bob washed (by hand) all of that daughter's dirty dishes, cooked dinner for her and her son, and then washed the new pile of dirty dishes. Maybe he is doin' try-outs for bein' a saint.

Bob's been irritated with me today for not being able to do anything because my hip and knees and whole leg hurt SO MUCH. I cannot find a position in which I am comfortable. I don't even know which of the several falls I've had put me in this agony. I have to use a wheelchair to get to the bathroom. But even if I were fully mobile, what would I do? Get flowers delivered? I certainly wouldn't be able to bake cookies: I won't be doin' that for at least a couple of years. Does that make me selfish?

I need to lie back down, NOW. My right thigh is killing me.

Last edited by Fiona W; 03-21-2015 at 06:05 PM.
Closed Thread