Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 05:50 AM   #181  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

Hello everyone!
I am in a better place today thank heavens. I did have a scary couple of hours last night as my chest was tight and painful(not cardiac just the usual infection) and the nurse that was here doing my antibiotics mentioned the dreaded H word......no not haemorrhoids.....HOSPITAL! If they can't fix me with the IV's then I may have to go into hospital. Well I am not having ANY of that so after lying awake fretting I actually got up this morning feeling better!

Betsy...on the subject of old wife's tales......my Nan wouldn't let us do any clothes washing on New Year's Day, Christmas Day, Good Friday and Easter Sunday as she said you would "wash somebody out of the family" !! I don't believe in superstitions but I still don't do it out of respect for her!

Ubee....feel free to come over to Wales and hit me over the head with a limp lettuce but I have been speaking to him on the phone........I know I know....I am an idiot!! Glad you have your house back!! By the way we have lots of lambs in the fields behind us....if I can I will take some photos and upload!

Magpie.....I know what you mean about " Oh I have ruined it now....I might as well binge" that is my mindset completely. I am not sure what the answer is!

Misstoni...welcome flower...this is a lovely forum...very friendly and supportive.

PJ hope the funeral was OK

Fi....hope you are doing OK..thinking of you.

Hi to everybody else

Big Hugs
Old 03-24-2015, 07:05 AM   #182  

S/C/G: 351 / 282 / 135

Height: 5'3"

Cindylh: About cheat days, I don't really have a strict plan right now other than 'avoid candy and cookies at work' and 'eat healthier'. But Friday night would be my cheat night, I suppose, I go out with friends to a sports pub to play trivia. I usually get a cheeseburger or club sandwich and fries, but nowadays I don't typically finish all the fries. If people go in on group desserts with our trivia winnings, I either skip or have just a bite. Though when we had birthday cake I had a slice. It really just depends on what I want on Friday nights.

Now and then, a few times a month, I still go to Chick-Fil-A for their grilled sandwich, and though occasionally I'll get fruit as the side I usually get fries. My mental rule is 'once a week' on that. I also got out to breakfast with a friend about twice a month, and I'll have bacon or pancakes but I try to avoid the huge breakfasts I would have before. Like at IHOP instead of the omelette with three eggs and four pieces of bacon and cheese and then three pancakes, I'll get two scrambled egg whites with two pieces of bacon and two pancakes.

And my rule on 'special occasions' is that I just try not to go off the rails and eat in moderation while indulging a bit. If a healthy option seems good I'll take it, and I'll try to limit portion sizes on anything that seems 'ridiculously unhealthy'. I just try to make sure 'special occasions' don't end up being too often.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:06 AM   #183  

S/C/G: 329/254.6/180?

Height: 5'4"

Good Morning.

I am so behind in personals and have not been on this forum much lately. I am still trekking along though. I weighed myself on Monday morning and still the same as for the last two weeks. I sabotage myself on the weekends. I am going to plan this weekend. I am meeting friend for coffee Friday night and I may or may not eat there. But I will review the restaurant menu before hand to make a healthy choice. It is a kosher restaurant that serves dairy and fish but no meat. I know they have big salads and their pea soup is amazing. Then I usually indulge in a few beers with DH on the weekend which of course leads to poor food choices. I will refrain from beer this weekend and plan my weekend meals. If we order in then at least swiss chalet or sushi I can feel good about.

I am at work doing my usual latte while the office is quiet. I have work union social to go to Thursday night and I really don't feel like going. It is free cocktails and food (appetizers) at Jack Astor's. But I signed up and I think it is good for office morale and networking. I really have to force myself to go to these events. I am shy with people I am not really comfortable with and I have a hard time making small talk. But these are skills I need to develop and going to events like this will help.

It is so cold out, minus 17 C. with windchill today. Winter is back. I am so tired of this cold weather. At least we should have some sun today.

Fi I hope those knees of yours are getting better. I know I have hated being dependent when I could not get around much.

misstonimariex

Betsy It is always great to read your posts, they are so full of positive energy. I bet you had a great time with your grandsons on the weekend. I find it really difficult to stay on plan during the weekend. Any tips for me?

Donna I just hope you take care of yourself, no good can come from chatting with that man. He knows he lost a good thing and wants to worm his way back in. Be careful, please.

Ubee Hi yourself and I am doing fine, glad to be back here. I need the support.

magpie I want to learn to line dance too. Are you going to a class? I took a line dancing class several years ago but it incorporated hip hop music and other genres. It was very energetic and now my knees could not take that class but other line dances I could do. I would love to learn and go out line dancing, looks like so much fun. We don't have many places here in Toronto that have line dancing. Please let me know how it goes.

Off to the grind ladies. Have a great day.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:05 AM   #184  

S/C/G: 410/372/200

Height: 5'10"

Thanks to all for the warm welcomes!

Ohio weather is making me stir crazy....snow last night! I'm ready for warmer weather so I can get out and get some exercising in!
Old 03-24-2015, 10:58 AM   #185  

S/C/G: 339/329/146

Plucky, no, I'm just doing YouTube tutorials for now. I'm kind of uncoordinated (in top of not being in good shape yet, lol), so I don't want to do a class, until I'm a little better. With YouTube I can just pause and rewind when I get the steps mixed up, or if I get too out of breath. (IP is weird. We're not supposed to do hardcore cardio, because ... science, nobody cares... but it's a weird mindset for me, trying to keep my heart rate down. I would stick with lifting, but my weights are in another state, and I can't afford a gym membership just now.) ... I have trouble with networking events, too; chit chat is hard. My best question to ask people: "What are you working on that you're excited about?"

Mountain, I hope they can fix you up without sending you to the hospital!
Old 03-24-2015, 12:00 PM   #186  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

Good morning lovely ladies. Another rainy day here, but the sun is scheduled to return by the end of the week. So glad to be reading all of your posts and sending one back -- so much nicer than what I should be doing which is changing the sheets on the bed and washing up the linens.

Donna -- So glad to hear from you again as I'm a worry wart and was concerned that the antibiotics weren't working. I'm with you -- avoid the hospital if you can. Of course your ex wants you back. Mine wasn't abusive, but he was a whiner and I finally set some boundaries. Just told him that when he started with the whining, I was going to hang up.......and then did. Glad your daughter is getting help. Whenever our children are involved, the mama radar goes into overdrive. Love the old wives tale about not doing laundry on certain days. Now, if we could just extend that to cleaning the entire house! Just realized that there are no old husbands tales......hhhmmmm.

Ubee -- We missed you. We're so glad your son has left home. And your scale will recover. I'm back to doing IF and wondering why I ever stopped other than my boredom level kicks in after about 5 minutes. And yes, I finished the garage, and got the kitchen chairs refinished. This week I'm working on refinishing the big coffee table in the family room and hauling stuff to the charity groups.

Terra -- 80 is the highest it gets here in the summer. Most summer days are in the mid 70s so it's nice and warm without being hotter than you know where. You're going to be a tired chick tonight after waking up so early.

Cindy -- I never plan cheat days.......they seem to just happen on their own. But I would never tell anyone not to have a cheat day. Birthdays and holidays are when some of my favorite memories have been created. And I would never want to hurt someone's feelings who loved me enough to cook my favorite meal for my birthday. I'm slowly getting to the point where I'm trying to stop thinking of every day as either being on plan or cheating. Rather, I'm trying to work on figuring out a way to live and eat in a healthy manner for the rest of my life. That means that some days I will have things that are just not normally associated with healthy eating (from my 3 major food groups of potato chips, chocolate, or ice cream) but will also try to eat them in moderation and not use it as an excuse to have them for the next 2-3 weeks because I slipped up. So, long answer is that now I don't think of it as having a cheat day. Of course, I am relatively new to trying out this line of thinking and mentally I seem to think of myself as being in my 30s instead of my 60s, so I may just be fooling myself.

Magpie -- Line dancing! What a great idea, fun, and doesn't seem like exercise. I've seen people doing Zumba -- and I'm with you. Hope news on the job front comes through. I'm crossed with you.

Rabidstoat -- You sound like you've managed the eating healthy with the occasional treat. Do you have any secrets for limiting it so that it doesn't turn into a binge?

Andrea -- I saw on the news where winter is still alive and kicking up in your neck of the woods. I feel for you. I hope the mix and mingle goes ok -- I always hated going to those things as well, but like you felt that I needed to do so. And I completely understand about undoing all the hard work because of weekends getting in the way.

Misstoni -- Just keep telling yourself that eventually winter will end and you'll need to turn on the air conditioning.

When I weighed this morning, I was 4 pounds heavier than yesterday. Talk about water weight! I'm trying to figure out what I ate that had so much salt in it. The deciduous trees here are beginning to leaf out already -- way early this year, but I do love the spring when all the shades of green form this beautiful painting that I look at out the big window here by my kitchen table.

I'd better get it in gear -- I'm burning daylight. Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Last edited by betsy2013; 03-24-2015 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:12 PM   #187  
There and Back Again

S/C/G: 300/289/213

Height: 5'2"

Ubee: I'm doing okay... Sticking to the plan, but I do feel slightly depressed. I am negative enough. I just don't feel that I need to share absolutely everything. Trying to encourage others makes me feel a little better. So, it's selfish in a way. I should feel better when the sunny days come out in full force. I love it when everything comes to life in the spring. Thanks for asking. I'm glad to see that things are settling down a bit for you. Having extra family members over is never easy.

Donna: I wish that we could just turn off feelings for toxic people. It just doesn't work that way though, does it. Even after marrying someone else and it being several years later, I still find myself thinking about my first love. Hoping that he ended up growing up and is having a good life. He cheated though, and would continue to cheat, if I had stayed, because some people are just inconsiderate people and don't care for anyone but themselves. Your ex's attitude and behavior were just unhealthy, and it scares me that he didn't keep your health at the top of his priority list. You have children to think about.

Cindy: No cheat days here. I just make sure to eat things that fit within that 1500 calorie goal. Most of the time, it's healthy good stuff. Anything in moderation. I have a cheat meal, which means having a dessert with my meal so that I don't have a blood sugar spike.

Magpie: That sounds fun. I have two left feet. It takes forever for me to learn dancing, but I try as long as no one is home to laugh at me. Do what makes you happy.

Rapidstoat: Ditto Betsy's well formed question. My strategy is to avoid trigger foods, those that I can't control myself with, no limit others.

Misstoni: I'm not a fan of the weird weather, either. I can't wait until spring.

Andrea: I don't like mingling with people either. I never know what to say, so I feel really uncomfortable. My spouse and I get invited to dinners with his boss and his wife. I use the kids as an excuse not to go. I'm afraid that I would embarrass my spouse because I'm not conventionally attractive and am awkward around people. My strategy when I have to choice but to go, stay silent until I'm addressed, then say very little. Usually people ignore me. As large as I am, I'm good at being invisible.

Plucky: Don't worry so much about personals. Sometimes finding the time or figuring out what to say is tough. We all know how it is. Sounds like you're making an effort to change habits-like planning meals before you go out. That will help you most in the long run, so congrats on doing that.

Fi: Hope that Bob and being immobile for a while are getting more tolerable. I hope that you heal soon.

If I missed anyone, sorry. We're getting quite the group here. Hope that everyone is successful in their goals this week and for the long term.

Last edited by tootsieroll81; 03-24-2015 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Spelling mishaps...
Old 03-24-2015, 01:17 PM   #188  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Hi everyone.
Just got a package of treats in the mail from a friend. REALLY? Will put them in the freezer and save for my daughters baby shower. (Betsy now would be a good time to tell me to give them away NOW.) My DIL is making me want to scream. So I am binging on my protein pudding. I can only eat one serving in an hour because it is filling and tastes so bad.
Betsy you have been busy. I would like to hear that you have been planning a trip in your RV.
Mag Pie I don't know what science is behind the not exercising but when I lost my chunk I did not exercise.
misstonimariex what kind of exercising do you enjoy?
Andrea it sure sounds like you have some temptations coming up. Good luck!
rabid that is such good advice. I want to be in the zone so I can follow it. It is so hard when you are not in the diet zone.
Donna stop it! It is called a toxic relationship for a reason. I am looking forward to some lamb pictures if you get the chance.
Terra how is the weather by you?
Cindy I plan cheat days. The hardest part is only making it last for one day...
Well I am off to try and have an on plan day.
Have a peaceful day.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:23 PM   #189  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

tootsie we cross posted. I know exactly how you feel about encouraging others. I constantly count my blessings or I tend to get blue also. Just want you to know that I do appreciate all your encouragement and support. It is so important on this never ending journey!
Old 03-24-2015, 05:45 PM   #190  
There and Back Again

S/C/G: 300/289/213

Height: 5'2"

Thanks, Ubee.

*Trigger Warning*. If you are in a low place, don't read.

I really need to stop reading fat people stories on reddit. I should be focusing on my studies. People keep quoting "studies" that say that obesity is inversely related to wealth and intelligence, meaning that if you're obese, you're dumb. I question these studies. One). What is the sample size? Is it large enough to represent the population? Two). Did they take obese people from all walks of life, or just the one's in the low income category? Three). Who is funding the studies? Sometimes researchers go into studies with their minds already made up and look for data that supports their pre-conceived ideas. Also, if the weight loss industry is funding it, you best bet that for money, people will tell them what they want to hear. Four). Is the study classist or racist, in other words, people setting out to prove that a certain group of people are inferior? How are the questions worded? Five). Is the study actually studying what they set out to study? One in particular was studying memory-retention, not IQ. I'm sure that there are more angles to consider that I haven't thought about, but you get the idea.

This bugs me because my family is in the middle income bracket. I have two college degrees, and I hope to get my Master's Degree someday if I can afford the training that I want-which is top notch. My spouse is obese, but he's an IT guy. He has no college degrees, but learns IT stuff at a good rate. I seriously doubt that most people would consider an IT guy stupid.

Last edited by tootsieroll81; 03-24-2015 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:19 PM   #191  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

tiootsie— I know what you mean about those studies showing that if you're fat you're more likely to be low IQ and low income. They never give enough information to figure out if it's a valid study or not. But I have a new, radical approach to magazine articles: if I get partway into it and I notice it's irritating me, I just bail. I'm 60 now, so the "life is too short" messages are loud and clear. I read only what I find interesting, educational, and/or fun. (Same deal with TV: I hardly ever watch it anymore. Except a new season of Formula One auto racing is starting up—Yay! It's good for our marriage, because we both enjoy it so much.)

Ubee— I'm so glad that you are back, because I really dig what you say to other people. You should say those same things to yourself when people issues or food issues get in the way of your progress.

Donna— Please remember that you are the one in charge of your time and your well-being, and if your ex is encroaching on those, just do the "Sorry, but I'm going to hang up now" thing.

Cindy— Others may disagree, but I think cheat days are part of a longterm lifestyle change. Except the idea of a whole day of cheating tends to make me binge, so instead I plan ahead for specific cheat items—like a big bar of dark chocolate. I mentally draw a box around the cheat item or items, and when I've eaten everything in the box, that's it. That approach lends itself to eating slowly, to get maximum pleasure out of it. Just a thought....

As for my health, it's really wacko. I have seen my primary care doc twice (he's very good), had some x-rays of my leg and a CT of my head. So far nothing is jumping out at us as the correct diagnosis, but it's definitely not just knee pain from the fall on 2/21. I am suffering from spasms up and down both legs—so bad that I cannot walk without severe pain and a big risk of falling. (I fell 3 times the last time I went to see ny Qigong instructor.) We are beginning to wonder if I have serotonin syndrome, which happens when you're taking too many psych drugs of the serotonin-enhancing variety. Anyway, the bottom line is that I cannot walk! We had to rent a wheelchair—it's a serious and exceedingly painful problem. And I have no idea when it will be over. Grrrr.... And poor Bob, of course, is grieving for his sister while ferrying me around to all these doctors' appointments. Maybe the distraction is helpful. I don't know because he really dosn't want to talk about it—not now. I don't blame him.

At least we have the kitties: they are everything you could wish for in cats (well, except for the sneezes). They are just awesomely cute and affectionate! And as the spring birds arrive, they are glued to their perch in front of our big window and making that funny teeth-clicking noise cats make when they watch birds.

Last edited by Fiona W; 03-24-2015 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:02 PM   #192  

S/C/G: 390/352/140

Good Evening Chicks...

Wow I miss one day posting and BAM everyone jumps in and I get way behind LOL... I hope everyone has had a wonderful Tuesday!!!

Rabidstoat – I completely understand about having a 10,000 step goal to be crazy for you… I had to back off of mine because of my foot pain… I still get in between 6000-7000 on most days… I have not exercised much in my life and I know I need to… a couple of summers ago it really helped me lose to walk every day and that is the main reason I really try to get my steps in… we each have to do what is best for us… what works for me might not be for you

Mountain – you go girl!!! You can do this!!! You can make a big difference in 16 weeks… I have been in your shoes with an ex like that… the best way is just a clean cutting of the ties… I know it is easier said than done but you said yourself that you are not going back… You can do it!!! I hope your daughter is doing much better and I am so glad she got some help instead of continuing to self harm… Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!!!

Ubee – glad your home situation is improving… I know a 9 month can be challenging but try to think of it as a workout… LOL… Now that things are stabilizing your weight will too… I have faith in you!!!

Magpie – I have never done Zumba but I think you will love line dancing… I learned country line dancing years ago but don’t do it much anymore (except when we used to go to the bar years ago)… and once you learn it… you can just pop in an appropriate country song and have at it… I probably should do that in the living room too on those rainy days… LOL… Awesome job on 5000 steps… you are doing great… still keeping you in my thoughts and prayers for the perfect job for you!!!

Tootsie – I love the advice you gave Donna… I think we all at one time or another wind up thinking about exes just a little… wondering how they did… if they are happy… hoping they grew up… I know my ex was just vindictive and abusive… I felt so bad for his kids… and recently found myself thinking about them and looked them up on Facebook… Not to talk but just see how they are doing and I pray that they are happy… he was better to them than to me… well most of the time… either way I digress… I hope he has changed or mellowed in time

Cindy – Like several here I don’t plan cheat days it just seems to happen… however, once I am in the ZONE (my weight loss mindset as I call it)… I “cheat,” count it, and the next day go right back to what I was doing before… it is working well right now for me… I just have to make sure I say no for the first 2-4 weeks of my LIFESTYLE PLAN… as I call it… but that is just me and just for me to get in my ZONE… I liked Betsy’s response of trying not to think of it as cheating and just concentrate on eating whatever it is in moderation… I know for me I try to gauge how much I eat… as in 1 serving or 3 slices… depending on the food… at least it helps when counting… I also find that if I don’t count… I tend to get lazy and before long I am not counting anything and it seems I have to do that to make my LIFESTYLE PLAN work… great question to get us all thinking and putting our thoughts out there…

Betsy – I am glad you had a great weekend with the kids… it is amazing how they can mess things up so quickly… I say that about my pets… LOL… good for being back on plan… and don’t worry about that water weight… it will come off… it is so green and pretty here from all the rain we have had… my peach trees are blooming… I hardly ever have many peaches… but the blooms are pretty…

Fi - I sure hope that your medical issues can be sorted out soon... I never heard of seratonin syndrome... I am going to look that one up... Keeping you in my prayers... and Bob too!

If I missed anyone… I hope you are doing great…

I have been doing good… was a little off on the food yesterday… but back where I need to be today… so that is good… I have been spot on with my steps… especially since I cut back to 6000-7000 daily… last night my foot was shooting pain but I managed to get that eased before bedtime so that was good…

Wishing you all a wonderful evening…
Old 03-25-2015, 06:11 AM   #193  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Betsy ~ Thats awesome that most of the time its in the 70's. I love when its in the 70's

Ubee ~ Its been in a 70's all week, I'm loving it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Woke up at 4:00 a.m. Its now 5:00 a.m. I went to bed at 9 p.m. so I got 8 hours of sleep last night so I'm up for the day. My plans for today are to do my 40 min. chair exercises and then walk outside for 30 mins to an hour. I've been in the house since last Friday so I'm really ready to go to school tomorrow for cooking class. I hope everyone has a lovely day.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:08 AM   #194  

S/C/G: 329/254.6/180?

Good Morning.

It is a much milder here today and will clock in around 9 Celsius as a high today although we have a forecast of rain over the next 3 days. I console myself with the thought it is better then snow.

Thanks to everyone for the words of advice and personal thoughts on work socials. I was seeing a therapist who really helped me develop a healthier handle on work relationships. But it is a constant struggle for me. I will share something I stress about and if anyone can relate please comment. Tomorrow our event is about 7 blocks or so away from work, maybe 6 streetcar stops. I know the other gals will walk but for me to walk that far is painful for my knees and I walk very slowly, they all walk fast, at least from my perspective. So I worry how it appears me taking a streetcar or cab to the destination and if I cannot arrive with them will it be awkward to find them and find a seat with them. Is this weird to worry about this? Any feedback appreciated.

I am trying to stay on plan with food this week. I had a turkey bacon, sprout, tomato, mustard/mayo sandwich on whole grain bread for dinner last night. I will likely have this again. I do have kale I need to eat though. If I had time to whip up a batch of soup I would. I will make soup this weekend for sure.

Magpie I will check out the youtube line dancing lessons. One of these days I will learn and get out line dancing.

Betsy Did you have to learn how to finish furniture in a class or are you self-taught. I would now know where to begin. As for salt and weight gain I am really affected by that too. Sadly I love salty foods.

Tootsieroll I will go to the work event and let everyone know how it was. I empathize with you about the hubby work event issue, my DH has told me there will be a BBQ for the managers and families this summer, I am already dreading it. I do well if I can find a common ground about a topic. When I was teaching it was easier because we all talked about teaching in one form or another. Luckily we don't have many work events.
I would stop reading those threads and besides unless you really want to spend the time examining the studies themselves you won't know the answer to all of the questions you posed. I doubt there is a correlation between obesity and intelligence itself, more likely between income and intelligence which is not a true measure of intelligence but more an indicator of lack of resources. Bunk!! Reading this stuff isn't doing you any good.

Ubee I guess getting treats in the mail is not always a good thing. I only get treats in the mail from my friend in London for Christmas and my birthday, I always look forward to those.

Fi I hope you feel better soon and yes fur babies do bring joy.

Have a wonderful and healthy day all.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:01 PM   #195  

S/C/G: 410/372/200

Height: 5'10"

Good morning everyone. I'm sticking to my plan even though my poor baby boy is sick. I have been up on and off most of the night with him as he tries to get over whatever nasty bug he has. I'm sad I didn't get a full night's rest, as I know that is important for a healthier lifestyle. But sometimes, mommy duties never end. Hoping to make it through my work day with ease.
Closed Thread