Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 08:11 AM   #106  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Zelma -- My fave grilled veggie is asparagus. I love to add a little really nice balsamic vinegar to it when I serve it. yum. Sorry you aren't feeling well.

Dusty -- I haven't found that setting on my Wii Fit for the stepping yet. I'll have to check it out! But DO watch the knee. I have a problem with my knee and when it flares steps are the worst!
Old 06-20-2008, 08:34 AM   #107  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

Dusty - 2 weeks in to this journey for me I ended up in the ER with a hurt knee - it is not fixable at this point - I have had 2 cortisone shots, next step is the protein injections. The best thing for it has been weight loss and exercise. As Heather cautions - be careful with exercise. You probably should see your doctor to see what if any damage has been done so you don't further injure it. My ortho is ecstatic with the weight loss - he has me on strict orders - nothing other than walking, bike, or swimming - made me quit yoga (and the knee felt better). Even scarier is 15 years down the road a knee replacement is in order - I have no desire to travel that road - perhaps all these knee injuries are wake up calls for us.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:45 AM   #108  
Dusty

S/C/G: 327/306/150

Height: 5ft 8in

Zelma—I’m so glad your choir did well! I hope the school puts up pictures. Don’t be too hard on yourself for being sick, adding that kind of stress to your illness can only make matters worse. My mom is making me lay off the knee, which is the opposite of what I had expected. But she is a nurse so I should have realized. I misconstrued her look of disappoint for a look of very serious worry. I’m not allowed to take the steps at school today even…which is scary because the elevator breaks down a lot and I can just imagine the crowd that would gather as I try to squeeze myself from an elevator stuck in between two floors. *shudder* but I am taking it easy, and taking your good advice.

Bernice—you crack me up! You’d have to have given me ice cream 22 years ago to be the cause of my addiction! I am actually now a huge fan of ice cream in general, but I love fried ice cream and I am always looking for ways to make tasty and lower fat desserts. I always feeling like ending my day on a sweeter note. Last night I cut a fresh pineapple and I think it was the best one I have ever had. And from one clutz to another, my heart goes out to you. When I was in junior high, my school had a big field between the school and where the buses parked and it was raining and I was just walking along and I fell face first in the muddy field. (It was really REALLY muddy, we all called it the mud hole even when it wasn’t raining) Wellll the entire school stopped to laugh and when I got up I was just coated. I had to ride the bus home that way. I will never forget it. At least I wasn’t in danger of being hit by a car! Oh well, I’m hoping losing weight will help my feet stop being so stupid! However…My tendency to put feet (and MOUTH) before brain doesn’t seem to be fading!

Heather—The free step setting on the Wii Fit is right after advanced step in the Aerobics area. It’s really cool. Do you love your Wii Fit? DO you feel like it is actually a good work out? I am pretty obsessed with it right now, and pretty sore too!

Carol—Gosh, I really do have to be careful with my knee. I woke up with it feeling a little better, but I think I may go see my doctor anyhow about my weight loss and that would be a good thing to discuss with him. I can’t believe you had to go through so much. I feel so afraid of the doctor’s office right now but I think it’s time to suck it up and go.

I live for Fridays.

Dusty
Old 06-20-2008, 11:19 AM   #109  

Dusty -- I haven't played with the wii fit much -- some things I like about it, and some I don't. I'm very bad at the "balance" games and find those challenging, though I rock at the yoga part. My balance isn't the problem, it's moving back and forth that is.

I haven't found the strength training part to my liking -- I do more at the gym. I haven't played as much with the aerobic, but after DDR I found the basic step sequence very easy. I think I might not have unlocked free step yet.

Please do have your knee looked at! I hate it when an injury keeps me from exercise -- because I am terrified of falling off the wagon more than that I love exercise -- but I have learned that sometimes it is necessary!
Old 06-20-2008, 12:15 PM   #110  
I ate it

S/C/G: 312/cw/140

Height: 5'4"

I'm still here. I'm not quite sure what is going on with me. I read everything everyone has to say but I just haven't been chatty this week. I was up 1.8 at WI but I idn't really fret over it. I haven't been putting forth effort and it's also 110 here...so enough is enough.

DH and I are off to Vegas on Sunday and I am excited. We need the time together just to have some us time and to work a few things out. I got really upset at him the other night over the whole combined too much clutter/can't afford to move/want to have a baby/losing weight issue. It's still hanging in the air and he is walking on eggshells around me. I feel like i am losing a battle to his STUFF which is everywhere. There is an office full of his STUFF here along with a pretty full closet, what is in his parents' garage and the storage unit as well. If he would finally make good and part ways with things and admit that he will never get around to all of these things he has been wanting to do for the last 15 years and just start fresh...we could makle the 2nd bedroom into a combined office/nursery...but until then....no babies. I asked him what he'd do if I told him I wanted to start trying in 6 months. No real answer there.

Rat....I am so sorry about your dear cat. Jason's aunt just put down her 2nd Yorkie on Monday. The dog was about 16 and the other was was only put down about 18 months ago. She is about 50 and these 2 have been her children.

Dusty...I watch Addiction as well and I love the show...but if they got their ideas from there then yeah they are way off. You are overweight but you're not engaged in such destructive behvaiors that your life is daily in jeopardy and you also aren't systematically tearing apart the fiber of your family. There is a fine line between concerned and controlling. It also seems to me that they want you to do it their way or it won't be good enough. Between your mom's attitude and your brother's comments...I'm sorry that you're surrounded by that kind of negativity right now.

Zelma...I assure you that none of us got to our current or former weights from corn on the cob....unless it was covered in sticks of butter and deep fried and we had it 3 times a day. Corn is high in sugar in is also largely insoluble fiber (hence the coming out whole thing...ew) but if the choice is corn on the cob or eating more bread and dessert....enjoy the corn!

Cathering...I would love to hear the interview...I hope you'll share the information with us. I truly enjoyed reading the book as I mentioned and just got so caught up in the story.

Well it's 9:18 in the morning now and it's about 90 degrees outside. Gross. Have a happy.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:26 PM   #111  

S/C/G: 351/ticker/175

justmary, o it's so hard when they leave the nest. My heart goes out to you!

Catherine, I'm so glad you got to hear from Oma!!! I'm still in awe on everything you went thru, and came back stronger than ever.

Dusty, hope the knee is doing better today. Those can sure slow a person down, but it sounds like you're moving even more! I can't wait to get the Wii Fit. The more you talk about it, the more I want it.

Ratkity, it's great just knowing that you have your fur and feather babies around you to keep you going. I hope with time, you'll have just the good memories of Cap'n kitty and not remember him when he was feeling bad. Take care my friend, ( sounds like you needed another one)

Heather, On the DDR, we've unlocked all the new songs except the last one. We just can't get that one down. Have you unlocked all of yours?

Zelma, hope you start to feel better soon. Sounds like the bug really got you.

Julee, Have you ever watched that show called "Clean House". It sounds like your hubby needs to take a look at it. I hope you guys have a wonderful time in Vegas and have fun and just enjoy it. Maybe it will help ease the tension.

Today is our shopping day and I sorta get excited when I can stock up on all the good foods that have dwindled down during the week. There's a thing called "Berry Dairy Days" over in the next town and we plan on going to that and the fireworks show tonight. There's going to be lots of craft booths which I love to see what people are making. The walking will be good too. This weekend is suppose to be more rain, but yesterday was suppose to be too but it just sprinkled here and there.
Have a great day and take care!
Debbie
Old 06-20-2008, 03:40 PM   #112  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

Okay, the interview is over with, and I survived. Himself said it sounded good. I was uncomfortable with some of the stuff he said. He said what everyone else seems to say that it was a good read, and hard to put down. He said that I was one of the most courageous people he had ever met. How the heck do you answer a question after someone says that? He said he would let me know before they air it, and I guess it will be on their website after that. He also asked me questions about the US elections, and I hate talking about politics, but considering we were talking about racism, it was obviously apt to discuss the upcoming elections. Racism was his main emphasis considering his listeners. This station is for the aboriginal community. I couldn't figure out originally why he wanted to interview me, and now at least I understand. It went for almost 30 minutes after he said that it would only last 10 minutes. At least he can edit out any silly things I might have said.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:30 PM   #113  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

I just checked the 5k sign ups - Debbie, Heather, Rat, Julia, Zelma and ME - that's five so now I get to recruit 5 more. Who's up for it?

Catherine - yes you can do it on Canada Day (when is that)?

It will be fun - not to mention very motivating. Please join us. Let me know if you need the link for sign ups.

Hugs,
Carol
Old 06-20-2008, 04:47 PM   #114  

I encourage everyone to sign up for the 5k! You can do it any way you like -- walk, jog, treadmill, elliptical etc. The guy who got the ball rolling on the 5k is just trying to get people moving and is really making it fun. I did my first one at Mem Day and realized that it's not that hard! You can find it in Weight Loss Support!

Debbie -- Regarding DDR -- you know, I haven't really tried to unlock any of the songs! I started playing on Free Mode and just haven't tried to get any more!! Don't you have to engage in some sort of competition to unlock them?

Last edited by Heather; 06-20-2008 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:03 PM   #115  

S/C/G: 351/ticker/175

Catherine, O good!! I'm so glad it wasn't too trying for you. Sounds like you really did well. Now you can relax a bit and just enjoy life...... until next week when your on tour.

Carol, I gotta go check and see what my number is for the run!!

Heather, Yes, there is a competition with the computer, but if we can beat it so can you! You're in much better shape than I am, so give it a try. It opens alot more songs so you don't have to hear the same ones over and over.

OMG! My fridge has never seen so many veggies in it at one time!! We stopped at the local veggie stand and just went crazy with all the stuff they had and it only came to about 15 bucks!! Tomorrow I'm going to make the bacon and egg cups. Sound quick and easy.
The bills are paid and the fridge is full, so I'm happy! LOL Tonight is on to the fireworks!! They're having strawberry shortcake, but I have to stay away from goodies like that, darn it. Next phase though, I'll be ready!
toodles
Debbie
Old 06-20-2008, 07:18 PM   #116  
started 1/28/08

Hi everyone!

I managed a reasonable calorie deficit of -508 yesterday. I'm just doing too much snacking and eating too much at meals to make my target of -1,000. I'm disappointed that it's taking me this long to get fully back on track with my eating plan, but on the bright side, I am fully back in the swing of walking every day, and that feels great.

Dusty -- the happy moment technique is very interesting, and your description of your moment was great . . . I can see why you were chosen to teach the writing class! Sorry about your fall - I'm sure it's frustrating to have to take it easy right at the beginning of your plan, but a few days of rest may be the best thing for your knee.

Diann --

Ratkitten -- glad your other furbabies are comforting you

angels -- congrats on your loss . . . I'm still waiting for those baseball pictures

Julia -- congrats - what a great NSV

Bernice -- yes, parades really do mess up the traffic here in NYC . . . you and your DH will just have to come back so you can see the park! Thanks for suggesting the photo walk . . . I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's hometown!

Zelma -- Central Park really is a lifesaver . . . although walking on the city streets is interesting, it is great to have a place to get away from the noise and traffic and just see green! I love the beach . . . it's great that you're so close to the coast. Are the Indian Ocean beaches nice?

Carol -- glad you have such a good doctor and that his orders to protect your knee still let you be so active . . . you're right, potential knee problems are another very good reason to stay on track!

Julee -- hope you enjoy Vegas and some time to relax with your DH away from his annoying clutter

Debbie -- fireworks and crafts - sounds like fun!

Catherine -- glad your interview went well. . . I look forward to hearing it when it's available on the website

I'm off to a bridge tournament Saturday and Sunday, so I probably won't post again until Monday, when I hope to be able to report that I vanquished the out-of-town/restaurant temptations. Have a great on-plan weekend, everyone!
Old 06-20-2008, 07:43 PM   #117  
I ate it

S/C/G: 312/cw/140

Height: 5'4"

Debbie...I am obsessed with Clean House and we watch it together. The thing is..his stuff is plentiful but it's contained and organized....our house DOES NOT look anything like those houses and when we watch CH together he looks at me and asks if he is that bad. Trust me...I would never tolerate things getting to that point. On the other hand we have a friend who we threatened with Clean House...she needs a real intervention because her mess might just kill off the best relationship she ever had...and we do not want that for her.

Oh well...it's 115 degrees...kill me now...or at the very least brush me with balsamic vinaigrette and turn me after about 10 minutes.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:25 PM   #118  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

Julie-My in-law's house is beyond scary. I haven't been to it yet, but the descriptions are of things piled to the ceiling with only a walk way. I've heard my husband discussing with family members that when they pass, it will have to be cleaned out with hazmat and several dumpsters. I could never live that way. I wouldn't be able to find things, and that would drive me nuts.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:27 PM   #119  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

Julee - Oh dear... just READING about those temps warms me up. We get hot days over here, but 40C/104F is usually the worst here in the city. And that is usually during our hottest month of February. You wouldn't even be in the hottest part of your summer yet would you? I hope you find ways to cool down. It should be a little cooler in Las Vegas shouldn't it? How long are you there for? You probably mentioned, but I don't have the best of memories.
I am actually pretty bad at 'collecting' things. Well, not really collecting, but not being able to throw out all sorts of school things because I "May need them one day". Well, after having one room totally full of my teaching 'stuff' and having it begin to overflow into another spare room, I finally figured that enough was enough. I gave Neil permission to go through it and had HIM decide what he thought I should keep or not. He pretty much knows what I have used in the last couple of years and what has just sat around for almost 10 years, so he was able to thin it all out quite drastically. He only checked with me on a few things and by that stage I was feeling ruthless myself, so most of that went out as well. I actually found it really therapeutic to know that it wasn't being left up to me to decide what stayed and what went. I didn't even watch what he was doing as I didn't want to KNOW what was being thrown out. I had made the decision to leave it up to him and I had to let him work away at it on his own. I felt a little guilty that he seemed to be doing all the work, but it was the best way to do it. I don't know if you could suggest something like that to your hubby, but maybe he is stuck like me and it just feels like such a daunting task to decide what to keep and what to get rid of, that it is easier to just keep the lot.

Catherine - I am SO glad that your interview went OK. I know that you didn't think you did a great job, but I am pretty sure that when we all here your interview you will get LOTS of compliments.

Ria - I am biased, but I think we have some of the most beautiful beaches in the world along our coast. Beautiful clean (mostly), soft, pale coloured beaches with the most amazing sunsets at certain times of the year.
Good luck at the bridge tournament. Blow them away!!!!

Debbie - It sounds as though you had a wonderful time at the markets. I have to admit that I love shopping at the markets, but don't get there anywhere near often enough, so end up settling for what they have at the supermarket. The prices are usually about double, so I should be making the effort to get to the markets, but they are always SO crowded and it just gets to me after a while.
I hope you enjoy the fireworks.

Dusty - I'm glad your mum has convinced you to stay off your knee/leg for a while. I understand how scary it can be to not exercise for a while, but it truly is often the best thing to do. I will keep my fingers crossed for you that the lifts work for you ALL the time you need them.

Well, I am off to get ready for lunch. We went out grocery shopping this morning and I actually felt OK walking around, so I am hoping that the rest has worked and I have seen the last of that bug. I still have a snuffly/runny nose, but I can cope with that. I am even going to try a nice relaxing walk tomorrow, to gradually work my way back into exercising and to enjoy the forecast sunshine. I think we may take the train into the city and walk along the river. I'll have to remember to take a camera.

Take care,

Zelma
Old 06-21-2008, 11:13 AM   #120  

Height: 5'7"

Happy saturday ,
I had a good loss this week -2.6lbs. I think increasing water again and walking daily is what increased it. Tom made his appearance today. Im going to eat lots of veggies this week and really try and drink my full gallon of water per day.
Daughter is home from college and youngest is due back home tommorow from dallas tx.
Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!!
hugs
debi
Closed Thread