Old 02-01-2007, 09:26 AM   #91  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Annie -- I am so glad to see you reaping the benefits of exercise. That's often what gets me moving or to the gym, even when I don't want to. I know I am so much better off than I used to be. And, let me tell you, it's only going to get better as you get fitter! Congrats on exceeding that goal, but better, congrats for getting fitter!

Raffaella! Welcome! I'm really glad you found us finally! I think you'll find that we understand what you're going through.

The calorie question is a really individual one, but I will tell you that larger people need more calories to do everything -- from brushing our teeth, to driving our cars, to exercising, we burn more calories.

A good way to start is to find out how many calories you're eating NOW. There are a lot of online tools to help with that. A very popular one is fitday.com

If you know how many calories you eat on average and how much you're losing (or if you're maintaining, etc), then it's a matter of decreasing your intake to lose, say 1-2 pounds/week. Decreasing 500 calories/day equals 1 pound/week.

When I weighed close to 300 pounds, I was able to lose an average of 2 pounds/week eating an average of 2000 calories/day. That's me, and I may be different from you, but I state that number to tell you that given your current weight, you can probably lose on something near that, and NOT 1200 calories/day, which people who weigh less need to eat to lose.

I hope that makes sense!

WELCOME again!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:04 AM   #92  

i just found a web site to order specific needs exercise videos.. anyone like me with knee problems or other health needs may want to check it out
Moving-Forward.biz. Exercises

i just ordered one for knee pain
toofatforu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:42 AM   #93  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

RAPHAELLA – WELCOME! With the binge cycles you’re mentioned, have you considered a sensitivity to certain foods? Lots of folks eat for emotional reasons, but sometimes it can be physiological as well. Journaling your food is always a great idea. It not only helps you keep track of exactly how MUCH you’re putting in your mouth, but it makes you more aware of balancing your diet – getting proteins, fruits and veggies, and good carbs and fats. It may also help show you if you have a sensitivity to foods such as wheat/gluten, or dairy, refined sugar, etc., if you notice that after you eat those foods you tend to raid the kitchen or even binge. If an understanding ear or a cheering section is what you need, you’ve found it here. I’m glad you found your way back to us!

ANNIE, what totally cool revelations you’re having. I’m glad that you’re so EMPOWERED by the exercise you’ve been doing. Your excitement is contagious! You’re blowing me out of the water, raising the bar and setting a good example. Today when I’m really ready to quit the TM, I’m going to hear your voice pressing me on. I’ll do an extra few minutes just in your honor, just because I know you’d want me to try to keep up. … As for giving the water skiing another try, um, do you WANT to drown me?? Maybe I’m just meant to be the one that drives the boat – hey, SOMEbody’s gotta do it. And afterwards, I’ll help you saddle the horses!

ERIKA, I know you directed this at Ammi, but: “it still gave me a good workout, but is that countable?” OF COURSE! You put out special effort. You did something with the express instent of bettering your health. Of course it counts! Keep it up and it will get easier and you’ll love feeling stronger, even if you’re one of the folks the never begins to like the process. I hope you logged those efforts on the Exercise thread!! Hugs and good wishes to Amanda and you both! …BTW – stick with the same scale all the time if you can. Unless, of course, you find one that weighs you lighter. No point in looking for a downer or defeat. That exercise, that forward progress is what we’re looking for, right?!

Hi PATTI! I loved the BL workout, too…. So why am I not doing it more often? Hmmmm. I did just order the soundtrack yesterday to use on my TM. Every time I hear the “Proud” theme song, I still get goosebumps. Very cool about those videos for specific health needs. Keep us posted on that since so many members have bad knees or other challenges.

Hi WYLLENN… I promise to be better this month on the exercise thing. I promise! I’m not starting today – I started YESterday. So how many cals are you taking in to maintain these days, now that you’re so much lighter?

I’m already getting excited about having a garden this year. I was doing dishes the other day and asked DH “Do we have a handgun?” He paused suspiciously before tentatively answering “Nnnnnno? Why?” Because last year the entire garden was annihilated by a varmint. Ever last bean, every last carrot top, every last tomato was destroyed. This year the varmints are going to have to go elsewhere. DH’s solution was to call the guy next door. I’m sure he’ll be happy to take care of it, since it raids his garden, too. Problem solved. Now, bring on the seeds and the sunshine! ...it's snowing again.

I’m getting to be quite the bird watcher. When I loaded the feeder this morning, I put some extra piles of seed on the rabbit hutch, and even on top of the grill just outside my window. Not 5 feet from me right now, the cardinals, chickadees, juncos and others are eating. I’ve even had a gorgeous woodpecker and some beautiful bluejays. I now the jays are noisey bullies, but the blues in their feathers are so vibrant and unbelievably lovely! Up close, they are all amazing! Funny, but watching them eat, I don’t think of eating myself!

Off to do more of the right things, starting with a bit of huffin’ and puffin’. C-YA!
NoLifeWithoutHorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:24 PM   #94  
sandybar

S/C/G: 350/289/150

Height: 5' 1"

Hi Everyone,
Well, I had a dentist appointment today at 7am, labs at 8 and a dr appointment at 8:30 am. The dentist went well, even though it took every bit of strength and energy I had. Ya know, dentists aren't anything like
they were when I was a kid. I really like our dentist, but I can't relax. The dentist I had as a kid was horrid. He put his hand over my mouth when I cried and I couldn't breathe. I must have been 4-5. That did it for me. I just can't get over it, and I didn't even feel my shot today. But my heart just pounds. I hate it. My dd, she LOVES the dentist. I tell her she has an appointment and she says, "Yeah! My teeth will feel so good!" She's even had filling filled and still loves to go. Good for her. It's just all in my head.
Anyway, I really was gonna go to work, got 2/3rd of the way there and turned around and came home. I had to just have a break. I have wonderful news. First, a major NSV....my blood pressure is down and in the really good range. 106/84. For the past several years it had been like
140/9????? 150/9???? In September, when I was hospitalized for the blood clot it was 170/120.SO, thanks to all of you my friends, keeping me on track and the little bit of exercise I've been doing brought down my blood pressure. And, now for the scale victory....Remember last week when I was upset cuz I gained 6 pounds. Well, TOM came early, almost a week, and I'm down 7 pounds today from last Thursday. TOM is just really an devil. I should stop weighing the week before....if I know it's coming for sure,. AND, I see the dr in 3 months again. He may take me off the blood thnner then. MAYBE! How cool is that! He said he's pretty sure the clot is gone cuz I don't have the pain anymore like before. He did say, I may very well have the occasional discoloration and swelling from time to time as a permanent thing.....damage to the vein he said. SO, I've had really good news today. OH, the lab just called and my blood thinner level is finally good.
I got our federal taxes filed and tried to do our state taxes on line, but, the state site is all screwed up. It said we owed over $1000, when I figured it on the federal site, it said we were getting a little back. I really don't like our govenor. I think he's a crook, a jerk, a ego maniac, and has messed up the online filing programing.....it wasn't giving my any place to put property tax deductions, child care deductions etc. So, I'll do it the other way and pay a small fee for it to be done correctly. FYI, our govenor has made lots and lots of changes .... changes the state citizens DID NOT WANT!! There has been poll after poll and everyone is really unhappy with him. Of course, not really everyone. but a lot of people.

Patti, I'm glad you like your new dvd. I certainly hope your leg is on the mend.

Kymberly, Thanks for the tip on the pannini's. I've never had one, but they sure look good. I had the Healthy Choice mannicoti yesterday and is was wonderful. Lean cuisine has some really yummy pizzas too.

Raffaella, and what a lovely name. I use fitday.com to log my calories, vitamins minerals etc. It's not specifically for 300+ people, but I try to stay between 1500-2000 calories a day. I don't always make it, but I'm getting better. That intake keeps me from starving and gives me lots of choices. There is also a site that helps you calculate how many calories you need. I put in my goal weight and basically no exercise. Of course, exercise loss is the gravy from this intake amount..
I hope it helps you. http://www.peacehealth.org/LowerColumbia/Cardiology/Women/Calories2.htm

Annie, WAY TO GO on your exercise for January. That was awesome. And being able to ride your bike. Super Cool! It hurts my bottom too much on the bike. Too much weight for one little seat to hold.
So glad you beat your dh on your competation. I gotta tell ya, dd and I did nothing last night. She has been SO MOODY! It's killin me. And her. Poor thing, starts cryin at nothing and gets mad over everything.
Geeze, I thought we had a couple more years before this set in. She'll be 9 on the 18th. She doesn't know, but we're taking her to Chuck E Cheese for her birthday. We've never been, but ALL her friends have. It'll just be family as it's NOT a cheap outing.

Erika, Use which ever scale you can use the most consistently. And just remember the difference when you use the other one. A loss, is still a loss period, no matter which scale you use. If you use yours, just remember
the difference between yours and the dr's and it shouldn't affect your emotions when you weigh at the doctor.

Valerie, I could picture your beautiful birds when you described them. You're lucky to live in such an area. We live in a subdivision that's only 6 years old. So we don't have many critters around. But we do have a couple bunnies and deer cuz the woods are at the end of the block for us. Actually, we also have raccoons and possums. But we're lacking birds. They'll come as everyone's trees get bigger. I can't wait.

OMG, dh's ex just called. She is so annoying and just stupid! Now my stomach is in knots. She and my sd are so dramatic. It's really getting on my nerves. I could go on and on, but I think I'm gonna get on the gazelle and work off this anxiety. Who am I kiddin'. I'm really ticked.
I had to say hello 2 times before she spoke. She tends to forget she's not married to my man anymore. I could just.........knock her block off.
Ok, I'm getting on the gazelle. Anything else would be self destructive right now. I'll try to check in later.
Hugs,
sandybar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:26 PM   #95  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

SANDY – It’s great to hear such wonderful news from you! AWESOME about your BP coming down and about the clot and blood thinner!!! As for your silly governor, perhaps it could be worse – you could have one of the idiots that your neighbors, Illinois and Ohio, have recently unloaded. We’re DEFINITELY done with Taft. Want him? * HEY! Glad that pesky scale came down!! * Good idea to get on the Gazelle and burn off the anger. I used to do that when DH & I were having our worst problems and everything he said made me furious. After the workout, not only was I not angry, I was exhilarated. Ex’s are such a pain. You remind me, tho, that I have to see ours face to face at ESD’s wedding in only 116 more days. Why is it that 116 days seems like forever if we’re talking about weather, but no time at all until the dreadful event?? BTW, “dear” SD is now looking for more money for her party – sounds like about 2 grand she’s finding herself short. Gee. Too bad, so sad.

I think I'd better go TM.
NoLifeWithoutHorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:41 PM   #96  
sandybar

Valerie, I wondered what was up with sd wedding. I dread it for you. EXCEPT, for the fact I know you're gonna look totally HOT!
And as for dsd and her $$ crisis, oh well, it's what she gets for being a whiney baby. I just hope she doesn't pester your dh for the money.
Why doesn't she get it from her super shallow mama?
Exes are a total pain in the butt aren't they?
And no, I don't want your ex govenor. You've probably heard about ours since you're our neighbor. I just got done w/our state taxes and the difference between what the indiana.gov web site said we owed and what we're getting back was about $2500.00

But, at least I caught the error and didn't just trust the web site. It didn't figure ANY exemptions at all. But, I'll send this snail mail and get the right amount back.
Ta ta for now my friends. I'm headin for the Gazelle!
Old 02-01-2007, 02:18 PM   #97  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Valerie -- You know I always love to see you in the exercise thread! You've been there from the start!

As for maintenance calories, that's a good question. I've had some days off and have gained a little weight as a result. I'm trying to stick to 2100-2200 calories, but I won't be convinced I'm maintaining until another week or 2 goes by. And then, I would like to lose that pound or two I gained...

Anyway, we'll just have to see. I should have fewer vacation/travel days coming up, which means more days writing everything down, so I should have a better sense of it in the next couple weeks.

I guess the good news is that I haven't ballooned up in weight! Sometimes I feel like I should push to lose more, but then other times I can't believe I'm maintaining at 170something pounds!!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:44 PM   #98  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Patti: Glad you liked the BL DVD. Was it a hard workout?

Wyllen: Thanks for the encouraging words.

Val: Okay, its a deal. You drive the boat. lol. The birds in your yard sound so beautiful. I love the little finches. Not really great coloring but they are soooo cute when they are about their business. lol.

Sandy: Congrats on the weight loss and all the wonderful NSVs. I love how well you are doing. I can't wait until the day I can get off meds. Oh DD will have fun at Chuck E Cheese. It is a fun place.

Well, hope everyone is well today. I am about to do my exercises for the day. Take care all until later.
Blessings,
Annie
dogpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:24 PM   #99  

Dogpal i couldnt do much of it because of my bad knee because of alot of knee bends and such in it. if i didnt have knee trouble it would be great... i am hoping to do some of it a little at a time plus i ordered a video for people with knee pain and or who have had knee replacements. but id DO recommend BLW for people .
toofatforu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:56 PM   #100  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

There is no way I can ever catch up right now, but I just want to say that I am still around. My audit is almost done - the end of the week for the main one, plus then the state of NY unemployment office is coming in on Monday (not looking forward to that, but we run a very clean business so I am not worried). It has been a rough week on top of that with the payroll company forgetting my check, our backup drive dying, and much more. My time at the B&B will be done on Tuesday, for which I am amazingly thankful. I have been muddling by and although I have hardly been working out and my eating has been a bit erratic, I am managing to stay under 280, which makes me happy. Once all of this stuff is over and my stress level recedes to a tolerable level I plan to really get back at things. As much as I feel I should be able to handle everything, I really haven’t felt up to it. Shoulds are very dangerous things.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 04:01 PM   #101  

Just a Fly-by! I should stay off the darn internet at work! Wanted to say to a couple of people!

Annie - on all your exercise! Look at you - EXCEEDING your exercise goal by more minutes that I worked out all month! You GO girl!!!

Sandy - on getting the BP down! I wish I could do it without meds...but a few years ago mine was at 210/135 (yep-could have died-hospital for three days etc.) and I STILL take 2 pills a day after 98 lbs! Wanted to mention - bike seats - YIKES! But I bought a used 15 speed last year from a man for $35.00 and then went to a bike shop where I bought a "BIG MAMMA JAMMA" bike seat for another $35.00. ANYBODY'S butt would fit on this one! I can now ride! (My son wants it! I told him he'd get SO made fun of! )

Rafaella: and I hope you like it here! on your loss so far! You are doing great!

Catherine: for getting back to the pool/gym! HATE that you have to pay for it - Canada sounds a little odd on a lot of stuff - I mean, it's not like you're illegal! But good for you just the same!!!

Finally, Chimichanga - Don't worry hun, the threads move fast, but you DON'T have to reply to everyone. I think they are confusing at first too, but you'll get the hang of reading and just enjoying. Some folks almost never post replies - don't worry about it! Just have fun and learn and post what you like!

A big to any newbies I may have missed and a to everyone else!
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 04:07 PM   #102  

Patti: Thanks for the info on the BL workout dvd. I don't think I would benefit from it right now either because I am carrying too much weight on my body to do squats etc. because it hurts my knees. Some day I will though for sure. I just managed to get in 20 minutes on the bike, 60 situps and my 9 different weight lifting positions X30 reps. I love it that I am done for the day except my walking tonight with Joel (hubby) He will be walking with me every night since I can only do 6 minutes at a time he said he will help me until I can reach the full 1 mile walk. lol. Gotta love our men. I will be jumping back on the bike again later for 1.5 miles more. Gotta keep my mileage up above Joel's so I get to virtual Payette before he does. Pride and $20 bucks is on the line. lol

Nancy: I am soooo glad to see you post. I think of you often and wonder how much longer you have to work at the B& B. Glad it is almost to an end. I think things will calm down for you a bit once that obligation is over and done with. Good luck with the state coming in. I'm sure things will be fine there too. Hugs.

Well, I haven't been hungry for lunch until now, 1 p.m. so I am going to eat some....... what else... chicken. lol. I love chicken and am so pleased that I had the forsite to cook extra lean, skinned and boneless breasts the other day.
Blessings all,
Annie
Old 02-01-2007, 04:08 PM   #103  

Hi Lilion: Have a happy day!
Old 02-01-2007, 05:31 PM   #104  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

Just wanted to 'throw something out there' before heading off to get ready for work.

Firstly... Sharon - Thank you for your comment on the exercise thread about me still exercising, even through the hard times. I was actually quite proud of myself that I was still determined to exercise as much as possible. When Dad was sleeping at the hospital Neil and I would go for a long, brisk walk. And most mornings we would go for a long walk, as I found that it started me off nice and fresh, ready for the day ahead. I DO admit that I ate more than I should have, and I have a pound or two to show for it that I have to throw off, but I still think I did as well as I could have, given the circumstances.

Now...

I have been reading about a number of us who have been having 'symptoms' of TOM lately, but not necessarily expecting TOM. Now, I KNOW that I am not due for TOM because he only just 'left the building' on Tuesday (after a LONG and very aggravating visit), but I have had all of the symptoms over the last few days. I've had the cravings, been REALLY tired, moody and I've gained weight that is now coming off, just as it would when a period started.

Well... getting to my point... I have a funny feeling (and I warn you that you may laugh about this) that these 'symptoms' are due to the full moon.

Many years ago I asked a doctor about my mood swings and I mentioned that I felt as though they were affected by the full moon. Well, she asked me "Where do you think the term 'lunatic' comes from?" So, it is a FACT that the full moon affects people's emotions, but now I'm wondering if it actually affects the HORMONES, which then affect the emotions. I truly feel as though I have been building up for TOM this week, and since that can't be true, then there has to be another reason for it. Now I have been told that I am perimenopausal, so my hormones are a little messed up anyway, but the more I think about it, the more convinced I am that I am onto something here.

For AGES I have thought, approximately once a month (so full moon would make sense) I was due for TOM to visit. Well, after the cravings, exhaustion, weight gain and mood swings, nothing would happen. Things would just return to normal and I would go along on my merry way until this all happened about 3 or 4 weeks later. I never even related the two until this week, and that was only because I KNEW it couldn't be TOM coming as it has only just finished.

Well... if you have all stopped laughing at the 'crazy lady' now, I was wondering whether anyone else has noticed something weird like this. I mainly thought about it because it seems as though MANY of us feel the same way about the same time each month, but we talk about TOM visiting at different times, so I figured that I may not be the only one who could be howling at the moon this evening.

Just giving you all something to ponder. Well, maybe two things... ONE - Could Zelma be making some sense here? and TWO - Could Zelma just be going crazy?

Take care,

Zelma
ZedAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 05:46 PM   #105  
sandybar

Zelma is making perfect sense!!!